Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 707470 times)

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2050 on: May 16, 2022, 10:13:45 AM »
Just finished up the latest season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  Now about 3 episodes into the final season of Better Call Saul. 

In the queue:
Ozark
Russian Doll
Yellowstone(?) - might give this a shot after all of the recommendations.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2051 on: May 16, 2022, 10:47:49 AM »
Just finished up the latest season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  Now about 3 episodes into the final season of Better Call Saul. 

In the queue:
Ozark
Russian Doll

I'm a season and a bit into Yellowstone, not terrible, but as contemporary Westerns go I'd put it behind Longmire and Justified.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2052 on: May 17, 2022, 12:52:22 AM »
Moving thie over from the Ukraine thread, since it's maybe more appropriate here.

On an only slightly related and more light-hearted note, Servant of the People showed up on my netflix (Germany) today. Available with subtitles in English, French, Russian and Ukrainian. I'm halfway through the first episode and enjoying it. Standard sitcom stuff really. But so strange to have the reality of his actual presidency and the current war in my head at the same time.

I've seen that series.  Pay particular attention to the mentions of Putin.  In fact I thought perhaps Putin saw the series and is exacting revenge.
I have to admit I got totally sucked in and ended up watching almost five episodes (got interrupted by a phone call, who knows how long it might have gone on otherwise :-) ), laughing and giggling out loud several times during each episode. Farcical and over the top but with some lovely moments of more serious stuff.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2053 on: May 17, 2022, 08:46:25 AM »
Stumbled across 'The Big Conn' on Apple Plus.  It was just 4 x 1 hour episodes, but I can't stop watching - on the 4th episode now.  So many twists and turns, it's hard to believe this really happened!  It's interesting the conflicting emotions I'm going through for everyone involved...  unintended and unfair consequences for good people, folks trying to do the right thing and being ignored, and the ability to live 'without moral compass'...

Darn, that sounds like something I'd enjoy.  Don't have Apple Plus, but I'm wondering if any of these shows on various other platforms like Apple Plus, Hulu, etc. eventually become available on something like Netflix, which I do have?  Or am I out of luck?

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2054 on: May 17, 2022, 09:26:23 AM »
Stumbled across 'The Big Conn' on Apple Plus.  It was just 4 x 1 hour episodes, but I can't stop watching - on the 4th episode now.  So many twists and turns, it's hard to believe this really happened!  It's interesting the conflicting emotions I'm going through for everyone involved...  unintended and unfair consequences for good people, folks trying to do the right thing and being ignored, and the ability to live 'without moral compass'...

Darn, that sounds like something I'd enjoy.  Don't have Apple Plus, but I'm wondering if any of these shows on various other platforms like Apple Plus, Hulu, etc. eventually become available on something like Netflix, which I do have?  Or am I out of luck?

Sure, some of the shows make the rounds.  However, I think it's pretty safe to say that original content developed by Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/Apple is not going to any other platforms. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2055 on: May 17, 2022, 09:40:12 AM »
That's why I always try to mention the platform that I watched the show on.  It's annoying when I read an interesting recommendation but don't know if I have access to it!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2056 on: May 18, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »

In the queue:
Ozark
Russian Doll

I'm a season and a bit into Yellowstone, not terrible, but as contemporary Westerns go I'd put it behind Longmire and Justified.
Justified is a gem. Has there ever been a better villain than Margo Martindale as Mags Bennett?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2057 on: May 21, 2022, 02:05:00 PM »
"The Invisible Pilot" on HBO Max.  A bit like 'Blow' (one of my favorites), but with more depth and weight...  gets a lot done in 3 hours.

ObviouslyNotAGolfer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2058 on: May 22, 2022, 08:26:24 PM »
Thanks for all the comments about Mad Men as well as other suggestions. We will definitely give the series some more time.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2059 on: May 23, 2022, 04:36:20 PM »
"The Staircase" on HBO is pretty good so far...

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2060 on: May 24, 2022, 06:32:51 AM »
Both seasons of 'A Very British Scandal' are worth watching.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2061 on: May 24, 2022, 07:29:16 AM »
I very much like Love on the Spectrum on Netflix, about young people with various degrees of Autism in the dating game.

We loved On the Spectrum! Michael was the star of the show! He was uniquely entertaining and so hilarious.

I am just a few episodes into Season 2 and was glad to see more of Michael. At first, I thought the little girl he hooked up with was a decent match for him ( even tho he had his eye on the vavavoom woman at speed dating ) I think she was, the end end, too young and immature. He is a strong personality.

Mark and Chloe are delightful. What a handsome couple they are! Chloe is such an ultra-feminine fairy-like creature.

My wife and I really enjoyed the original Australian 'Love on the Spectrum' and are well into watching the new US version (Netflix).  There's something a little off about this version--- either there isn't as much focus on the individual's difficulties or the participants aren't as outwardly/severely autistic.  The matchmaking of couples is better and I'm impressed how compatible they've been.  I'm not as much of a fan this dating counselor compared to the one featured in the Australian series.

We've been able to relate to the participants, as we're both socially awkward/oblivious and share some other common traits.  Its been relieving to see a little bit of myself on screen.

edited to add--- from what I'm reading, I think the same Australian producers did the US show. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:22:14 AM by uniwelder »

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2062 on: May 24, 2022, 04:09:41 PM »
My wife and I really enjoyed the original Australian 'Love on the Spectrum' and are well into watching the new US version (Netflix).  There's something a little off about this version--- either there isn't as much focus on the individual's difficulties or the participants aren't as outwardly/severely autistic.  The matchmaking of couples is better and I'm impressed how compatible they've been.  I'm not as much of a fan this dating counselor compared to the one featured in the Australian series.

Where can you stream the original Australian 'Love on the Spectrum'?

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2063 on: May 24, 2022, 07:47:36 PM »

Where can you stream the original Australian 'Love on the Spectrum'?

It’s on Netflix as well

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2064 on: June 02, 2022, 08:08:37 PM »
A few episodes of the new season of 'The Boys' just dropped on Amazon Prime...  OMG!!!!

I love the choice of the song 'dream a little dream of me' recurring during the first episode, such a transfixing idea - wanting others to think about you...

But yeah, not for the faint of heart and 110% NSFW.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2065 on: June 02, 2022, 11:24:22 PM »
A few episodes of the new season of 'The Boys' just dropped on Amazon Prime...  OMG!!!!

I love the choice of the song 'dream a little dream of me' recurring during the first episode, such a transfixing idea - wanting others to think about you...

Our 16 yr old has started on The Boys. It's a *good* show.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2066 on: June 03, 2022, 05:42:04 AM »

Our 16 yr old has started on The Boys. It's a *good* show.

Definitely not the Marvel mindless mainstream fare, hopefully it sparks some interesting discussions:)

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2067 on: June 03, 2022, 06:54:19 AM »
I have really enjoyed The Boys so far as it makes an interesting statement about hero worship and the true nature of some people who are widely admired and viewed a certain way in the public eye. The gore can be a bit much at times, but it's also funny and never dull.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2068 on: June 07, 2022, 06:33:11 AM »
I've been reluctant to watch 'Patriot' thinking it was going to be another predictable spy story. Wrong. It's petty wacky. I'm sucked in.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2069 on: June 07, 2022, 07:21:59 AM »
Wife and I are fully engrossed in Peaky Blinders. We are about to start season 5. I'm already a little sad that season 6 will be the last, but we're enjoying the ride.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2070 on: June 07, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »
Just finished the second season of Picard on Paramount Plus. It was great. Sir P. Stew is such a good human. The writing was delightful, and they used the right ratio of special effects to practical effects. I thought it was better than the first season.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2071 on: June 07, 2022, 04:05:44 PM »
Just finished the second season of Picard on Paramount Plus. It was great. Sir P. Stew is such a good human. The writing was delightful, and they used the right ratio of special effects to practical effects. I thought it was better than the first season.

I hear they are bringing back almost the entire cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation for Picard season 3. They are probably all going to look very geriatric at this point!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2072 on: June 07, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
Not liking Stranger Things IV... seems like they are trying way too hard to become a horror show vs. the spooky/supernatural theme they had in prior seasons.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2073 on: June 07, 2022, 04:20:00 PM »
Not liking Stranger Things IV... seems like they are trying way too hard to become a horror show vs. the spooky/supernatural theme they had in prior seasons.

I really loved the first season . . . was a little disappointed but still on board for the second . . . and started to wonder how things went so terribly wrong in the third.  Your post isn't providing me with much hope for the fourth.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2074 on: June 07, 2022, 04:39:42 PM »
Prehistoric Planet on Apple TV, 5 episodes

It's Attenborough with CGI dinos.  Sound cheesy? Yeah, but I can't help but love it.  It's set 66 million years ago and you're watching the world across various biomes as you see mating strategies, food behaviors, survival, etc. among various species (mostly dinosaurs but others that existed at the time as well) interacting with one another with Attenborough narrating as if you are watching real footage shot around the world.  Kid-friendly and nice to see more realistic and scientific portrayals of how life might have been prior to the asteroid crashing down in the Yucatan.  E.g. the geography was different, the climate was different, and the biodiversity was different and taken into account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistoric_Planet

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2075 on: June 07, 2022, 06:53:46 PM »

I really loved the first season . . . was a little disappointed but still on board for the second . . . and started to wonder how things went so terribly wrong in the third.  Your post isn't providing me with much hope for the fourth.

Maybe it depends on what it is you liked about season 1 but I think 4 brings back some of the mystery and suspense that were lacking in 2 & 3. I could certainly find things to critique but overall I would rank 4 over those seasons.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2076 on: June 07, 2022, 06:55:32 PM »
I started watching A Discovery of Witches, which is based on a popular fantasy novel series. I read the first book off recs from some friends and liked some of the details and set up, but then NOTHING HAPPENED FOR HUNDREDS OF PAGES and I got very frustrated, so didn't bother reading any of the others in the series.

I figured I'd try the tv adaptation, which has gotten decent reviews, thinking they would simply have to move the plot along faster than the book did. And I was mildly intrigued for the first 4 episodes, but the 5th and 6th episodes blew hard, and now I'm kind of gritting my teeth to get through the last 2 eps of season 1.  Let's see if they can re-intrigue me enough to try season 2.

If not it's kind of too bad, b/c there's some really good actors being mostly wasted. The lead, unfortunately, is NOT one of the good actors, and she also has the disadvantage of having the charisma of a dishrag, so that's tough.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2077 on: June 07, 2022, 10:17:55 PM »

Same here. The first half of the 1st season in particular was really good.

Also, this show is a prime example of "Netflix bloat", e.g. they let content creators make episodes as long as they want whether it's good for the show or not. Most episodes of Stranger Things S4 are well over an hour long.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2078 on: June 08, 2022, 07:54:13 AM »

Maybe it depends on what it is you liked about season 1 but I think 4 brings back some of the mystery and suspense that were lacking in 2 & 3. I could certainly find things to critique but overall I would rank 4 over those seasons.

I thought Season 4 raised the stakes back to a more reasonable level.  I was a fan of 'Nightmare on Elm Street' back in the day, so this season hit me on all the right nostalgic levels.  I also like the switching back and forth between plots and how it is all tying together. 

I can see how S4 could be too much for fans up to this point, so it's probably a love/hate reaction for most fans.  I'm in the love camp.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2079 on: June 08, 2022, 08:15:53 AM »

I thought Season 4 raised the stakes back to a more reasonable level.  I was a fan of 'Nightmare on Elm Street' back in the day, so this season hit me on all the right nostalgic levels.  I also like the switching back and forth between plots and how it is all tying together. 

I can see how S4 could be too much for fans up to this point, so it's probably a love/hate reaction for most fans.  I'm in the love camp.

I should also mention that I am only on episode 3 right now, I will watch it thru... I am just observing that the tone of the show is shifting IMO

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2080 on: June 08, 2022, 08:18:34 AM »

Also, this show is a prime example of "Netflix bloat", e.g. they let content creators make episodes as long as they want whether it's good for the show or not. Most episodes of Stranger Things S4 are well over an hour long.

I feel like the writers were surprised by the success of the first season, and didn't really know where to go after it.

Season 1 - Creepy core paranormal mystery story with a few horror elements and lot of 80's vibe.  Kinda like X-Files meets the Goonies, with a sprinkling of tragic marvel super hero (Eleven has powers but they seem to kill her when she uses them, and she sacrifices herself to save everyone in the end).

Season 2 - Got rid of a lot of the creepy stuff, parachute in some new characters that don't really serve a purpose in the show.  Oh, and Eleven is fine, because she was a popular character.  Let's also toss in a few episodes of truly awful and non-plot related filler for Eleven too because, I dunno . . . writing is hard?  Oh, also Eleven can use her powers all the time now with no repercussions.  Because to hell with you, continuity.

Season 3 - Right the fuck off the deep end.  A group of children successfully fight off the Russian military (who have no way of controlling the existential threat shit from the other side but want to open it up anyway), who have built a massive underground complex below the local shopping mall in a city (that the government is closely monitoring due to the failed experiments that they performed) because . . . uh reasons that I guess you have to come up with yourself?  Yeah, you hear that screaming/gurgling sound?  It's your suspension of disbelief being waterboarded to death.  Oh, and all the creepy mystery regarding the things in the dark is completely gone . . . it's just a straight up monster story now.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2081 on: June 08, 2022, 05:28:01 PM »

I feel like the writers were surprised by the success of the first season, and didn't really know where to go after it.

Season 1 - Creepy core paranormal mystery story with a few horror elements and lot of 80's vibe.  Kinda like X-Files meets the Goonies, with a sprinkling of tragic marvel super hero (Eleven has powers but they seem to kill her when she uses them, and she sacrifices herself to save everyone in the end).

Season 2 - Got rid of a lot of the creepy stuff, parachute in some new characters that don't really serve a purpose in the show.  Oh, and Eleven is fine, because she was a popular character.  Let's also toss in a few episodes of truly awful and non-plot related filler for Eleven too because, I dunno . . . writing is hard?  Oh, also Eleven can use her powers all the time now with no repercussions.  Because to hell with you, continuity.

Season 3 - Right the fuck off the deep end.  A group of children successfully fight off the Russian military (who have no way of controlling the existential threat shit from the other side but want to open it up anyway), who have built a massive underground complex below the local shopping mall in a city (that the government is closely monitoring due to the failed experiments that they performed) because . . . uh reasons that I guess you have to come up with yourself?  Yeah, you hear that screaming/gurgling sound?  It's your suspension of disbelief being waterboarded to death.  Oh, and all the creepy mystery regarding the things in the dark is completely gone . . . it's just a straight up monster story now.
Yes, this. Show was good for 1.5 seasons but now needs to be smothered to death with a pillow. But that is what the incentives for Netflix tell it to do based on how patient people are watching each new season and waiting for the show to reach its former heights.

Of course, this is a pervasive problem in Hollywood (which is "now making movies for 16 year olds and China", as Anthony Mackie famously said) where everything is a sequel. Sequels are great for studios to market and predict revenues, even if they represent the slide of what remains of our culture into inane mediocrity.

And interestingly, in the music world, old music is killing new music, as Ted Gioia points out in the very excellent linked interview (he also talks about Netflix). Risk-aversion is leading to the stagnation and decline of popular culture.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2082 on: June 08, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
And interestingly, in the music world, old music is killing new music, as Ted Gioia points out in the very excellent linked interview (he also talks about Netflix). Risk-aversion is leading to the stagnation and decline of popular culture.

There is SOOOOO much awesome new music out there . . . but nobody knows about it.  I can't blame just risk aversion, I know an awful lot of people who are happy to only live in the musical past and never search out new stuff.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2083 on: June 09, 2022, 07:44:00 AM »

There is SOOOOO much awesome new music out there . . . but nobody knows about it.  I can't blame just risk aversion, I know an awful lot of people who are happy to only live in the musical past and never search out new stuff.
I've started watching KEXP on Youtube. Lots of new artists play there. I discovered Garage A Trois. I also recently found Vulfpeck.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2084 on: June 09, 2022, 08:33:05 AM »

I've started watching KEXP on Youtube. Lots of new artists play there. I discovered Garage A Trois. I also recently found Vulfpeck.

Corey Wong is the hardest working musician in the business right now.  I see him popping up everywhere with some pretty incredible musicians.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2085 on: June 09, 2022, 08:59:13 AM »

Corey Wong is the hardest working musician in the business right now.  I see him popping up everywhere with some pretty incredible musicians.
yup

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2086 on: June 11, 2022, 01:58:09 PM »
I’m into an Australian TV binge right now, and I’m watching Wentworth on Netflix,  the prison show which is very very good.

I took a side trip into The End on Prime with two of my favorite actresses, so it is a treat. It has ongoing themes of suicide, and quite a lot of female anatomy visuals both real life and mind images.

I Love That for You Is it entertaining little comedy with Molly Shannon and…cant remember her name. First two episodes play on prime but then you have to pay. Hulu? Stars? Not sure. I haven’t paid out to watch the rest of it.

Ricky Gervais has a new comedy special out on Netflix, so I’m dipping into that off and on, . Love that guy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 02:03:05 PM by iris lily »

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2087 on: June 11, 2022, 06:22:22 PM »
Just throwing out that this thread is going to get me to give Mad Men another shot. I've literally started and stopped it after the first episode at least twice if not three times, which is weird for me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2088 on: June 11, 2022, 08:32:09 PM »
Just throwing out that this thread is going to get me to give Mad Men another shot. I've literally started and stopped it after the first episode at least twice if not three times, which is weird for me.

I kept getting recommended it by people . . . ended up watching at least two seasons.  Was never able to figure out what the fuss was about.  Jon Hamm is an offputtingly unlikable dick.  That appears to be the whole plot.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2089 on: June 11, 2022, 09:42:21 PM »

I kept getting recommended it by people . . . ended up watching at least two seasons.  Was never able to figure out what the fuss was about.  Jon Hamm is an offputtingly unlikable dick.  That appears to be the whole plot.

That was ultimately my take from the first episode. I did not like him at all and did not enjoy the episode. If I can't stand it after four or five episodes, I guess I'll put it off the list for good.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2090 on: June 12, 2022, 07:08:41 AM »

Yeah if you're looking for a good plot, it's not the show for you.  Mad Men is all about the dialogue, acting and style (similar in that way to Downton Abbey).  Jon Hamm is not the greatest actor, but he was born to play that role.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #2091 on: June 12, 2022, 09:41:15 AM »
I don't know if anyone else watches The Boys, but my god, they are crushing it! I'm not huge on binging, I'm fine with watching a show weekly, or watching one episode a night (if it's available for binging) but I would watch The Boys for like hours and hours straight if I could. I hate hate hate being bored with a show and it is NEVER boring.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2092 on: June 12, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
I don't know if anyone else watches The Boys, but my god, they are crushing it! I'm not huge on binging, I'm fine with watching a show weekly, or watching one episode a night (if it's available for binging) but I would watch The Boys for like hours and hours straight if I could. I hate hate hate being bored with a show and it is NEVER boring.

I really liked the comic back in the day, and have certainly enjoyed the first couple seasons of the show.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2093 on: June 12, 2022, 01:25:25 PM »

Season 2 was a little weak at times, but season 3 is my favorite superhero narrative in a long time!  I don't know if I'll even watch much more 'mainstream' MCU, the ideas in this show are a million times more compelling...   Hope it keeps up the momentum, I'm totally wowed so far.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2094 on: June 12, 2022, 07:56:52 PM »
I'm watching Time Traveler's Wife on HBO and enjoying it more than I thought I would. The movie tried to smooth over the weirdness and sadness of the book. This TV show is leaning all the way in to how messy the concept is and it makes for some compelling TV. Production values are crap though.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2095 on: June 12, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »

Would I like The Boys even if I don’t ever watch marvel comics hero stuff and I would not know any references they make to those heroes?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:44:59 AM by iris lily »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2096 on: June 12, 2022, 08:51:05 PM »

But I like the boys even if I don’t ever watch marvel comics hero stuff and I would not know any references they make to those heroes?

If I understand what you are asking, then no, absolutely no marvel hero knowledge required.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2097 on: June 13, 2022, 02:41:11 AM »

Just started watching season 3 yesterday.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2098 on: June 13, 2022, 09:17:40 AM »

But I like the boys even if I don’t ever watch marvel comics hero stuff and I would not know any references they make to those heroes?

The show is built in an non-marvel, non-DC universe.  No prior knowledge of superhero movies is required.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2099 on: June 13, 2022, 11:45:22 AM »

If I understand what you are asking, then no, absolutely no marvel hero knowledge required.
Thank you for interpreting my nonsensical question. Yes that is what I meant.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!