Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 708744 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2550 on: January 24, 2023, 10:47:02 PM »
The Last of Us (HBO). I am a big fan of the video game it is based on and so far they have done a terrific job adapting it for television. Plus, I love Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay.
It's very good so far.

I was pretty excited to see that Happy Valley was back for season 3. The first episode was a banger.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2551 on: January 24, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »
Just discovered a 3rd season of The Kominsky Method was released in 2022 on Netflix.

Great dialogue, weird scenes, in all the best ways.  Great role for Kathleen Turner this season too.  Not quite 1/2 way through and enjoying it, and thinking our aging actor friend would appreciate this season as well.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2552 on: January 25, 2023, 12:05:53 AM »
The Last of Us (HBO). I am a big fan of the video game it is based on and so far they have done a terrific job adapting it for television. Plus, I love Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay.
It's very good so far.

I was pretty excited to see that Happy Valley was back for season 3. The first episode was a banger.

Wait, what?? DH was out last night, I could have watched it! He finds it too depressing. EDIT: Noooo! It's on Foxtel/Binge, I can't watch it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:08:20 AM by Fresh Bread »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2553 on: January 25, 2023, 12:44:54 AM »
It's very good so far.

Wait, what?? DH was out last night, I could have watched it! He finds it too depressing. EDIT: Noooo! It's on Foxtel/Binge, I can't watch it.
I hope it turns up on ABC iview asap. The first two seasons are on Stan so it might also end up there
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:47:07 AM by mspym »

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2554 on: January 25, 2023, 01:28:20 AM »

+1 for The Last of Us

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2555 on: January 25, 2023, 07:26:28 AM »
I just finished watching Mo on Netflix.  Has this been discussed yet?  About an undocumented Palestinian immigrant living in Houston.  A great mix of funny and dramatic.  All the actors are fantastic too.  And as a person who has spent time in that part of Texas, it had a great sense of 'place'.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2556 on: January 25, 2023, 08:34:59 AM »
For UK viewers maternal on itv x is very good.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2557 on: January 26, 2023, 06:51:03 AM »

+1 for The Last of Us

Another +1 of The Last of Us. I'm not familiar with the game, but the premise is very interesting and I've loved the show so far.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2558 on: January 26, 2023, 07:16:17 AM »
"Will Trent" on ABC.  Trent is sharp, a little obsessive like the old 'Monk' TV detective, but there's lots of layers to him.  Storylines are intriguing and the other characters are complex vs. stereotypical. 
Just started this season but I've already set it to record all new shows.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #2559 on: January 27, 2023, 11:06:21 AM »
Just finished binging The Bear on Hulu.   Good acting.  I was initially put off by all the yelling, but settled in to it as I got to know the characters.

+1 -- This was great!  It's on Disney+ here in Canada.  Great acting and great writing.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2560 on: January 27, 2023, 11:16:33 AM »
Just finished binging The Bear on Hulu.   Good acting.  I was initially put off by all the yelling, but settled in to it as I got to know the characters.

+1 -- This was great!  It's on Disney+ here in Canada.  Great acting and great writing.

Yup. As a former chef, it rang very true to me, especially the restaurant owner expecting all of their staff to be as dedicated and committed to success as they are despite them having no stake in the business, and the owner fucking going off and screaming at everyone when things went sideways because that's how they were conditioned in kitchens themselves, and expecting everyone to just take it and stick around.

All of my restaurant friends have said that the show is spot on accurate what that world is like, except that the owner isn't a drug addict and when he's not screaming is a lot more respectful than most owners, and that's only because he's new to the owner game and still idealistic.

Spoiler: show
That's why they had to have the ridiculous ending where he magically stumbles upon a gajillion dollars in cash, because otherwise he would have to become the grizzled fucking asshole we all know and don't love in the restaurant world. It's kind of sad that to keep his character kind, he had to basically win the lottery to solve all of his problems.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2561 on: January 29, 2023, 04:23:14 PM »
Work In Progress

I stumbled upon this by accident and only after watching the first season did I see that it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's a show about a self-proclaimed fat, queer dyke with OCD. The characters are brilliant. I want to be friends with virtually every character in the show.

I also LOVE Julia Sweeney who plays an important and self-referential version of herself. You will likely know Sweeney best as "Pat" from SNL, and that's a big part of the plot.

I've personally adored Julia Sweeney since she did "God Said Ha!" Which is an absolute must-watch for anyone who has faced serious health issues and needs a fucking laugh. I'm pretty sure that one-woman show is what taught me how to talk about the ridiculousness of medical care in a way that captures the heartbreak and absurdity at the same time.

The gem of this show though is definitely a cameo of Weird Al playing a fictional version of himself as Sweeney's husband. He's playing this unfunny, ultra-literal version of himself and it's pure comedy genius. The two play off each other so unbelievably well.

The main character is infuriating at times and does things that are profoundly self-destructive, but it's the comedic honesty with which that kind of behaviour is nakedly portrayed for the audience that makes it so god damn watchable.

If I could sum it up, I would say it's all about a deeply flawed person who doesn't understand how to be loved. Which makes it extremely relatable for a lot of people, either in terms of relating to the main character, or relating to the characters trying to give her love.

Plus it's often very, very funny.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2562 on: January 29, 2023, 04:56:12 PM »
We've almost finished Season 3 of Peaky Blinders, and it's very engaging in a classy yet soapy way.

Tommy Shelby has me musing on how years and years ago, an online acquaintance of mine did a series of fantastically entertaining posts about the characteristics of the two main types of male characters that tend to be most compelling to fandom: the alpha bastards and the rogues. I've been surprised (having been a dedicated preferer of the rogue type my entire life) just how entertaining I'm finding this alpha bastard. Maybe it's Cillian Murphy making the difference? There's a particular wounded quality that he projects that might be undercutting his alpha bastardry just enough that I buy in?

Whatever, it's very entertaining. He's hitting every single cliche that she laid out in that long ago essay, so much so that I've started 'bingo-ing' every time he hits one by elbowing my husband in the ribs and saying,  "See, CLASSIC alpha bastard!"

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2563 on: January 29, 2023, 06:17:18 PM »
@wenchsenior link to the essays please?, because that is very much aligned to my interests

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2564 on: January 29, 2023, 06:27:24 PM »
@wenchsenior link to the essays please?, because that is very much aligned to my interests

I think they are long gone...it's more than 15 years ago. I can summarize if you want.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2565 on: January 29, 2023, 06:55:41 PM »

I think they are long gone...it's more than 15 years ago. I can summarize if you want.

Yes please!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2566 on: January 29, 2023, 07:06:42 PM »

Yes please!
+1000!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2567 on: January 30, 2023, 09:19:14 AM »
We've almost finished Season 3 of Peaky Blinders, and it's very engaging in a classy yet soapy way.

Tommy Shelby has me musing on how years and years ago, an online acquaintance of mine did a series of fantastically entertaining posts about the characteristics of the two main types of male characters that tend to be most compelling to fandom: the alpha bastards and the rogues. I've been surprised (having been a dedicated preferer of the rogue type my entire life) just how entertaining I'm finding this alpha bastard. Maybe it's Cillian Murphy making the difference? There's a particular wounded quality that he projects that might be undercutting his alpha bastardry just enough that I buy in?

Whatever, it's very entertaining. He's hitting every single cliche that she laid out in that long ago essay, so much so that I've started 'bingo-ing' every time he hits one by elbowing my husband in the ribs and saying,  "See, CLASSIC alpha bastard!"

Cillian Murphy is brilliant in general...and is so good in Peaky Blinders. He's honestly one of the only reasons that show works and went on as long as it did. I'd watch him in pretty much anything

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2568 on: January 30, 2023, 09:36:52 AM »

Yes please!
+1000!

I would also love to hear about this.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2569 on: January 30, 2023, 01:28:51 PM »
So, this individual (:salute...not my ideas to follow:) had a general thesis (which is of course reductive, but nevertheless surprisingly accurate to most media), which I will attempt to summarize as follows about media, esp media that creates intense fan followings:

First, you divide most male protagonists into 'alpha' types (natural leaders), 'beta' types (natural followers or community builders), and 'gamma' types (totally flexible).

Then, you commonly (though not always) traumatize them in some way to create drama. There's plenty of shows with plain old alpha, beta, gamma characters, but we are not interested in them in this post.

Traumatizing an alpha creates an alpha bastard, traumatizing a beta creates a sociopath/serial killer/raging misogynist etc. (what we might now think of as classic toxic masculinity, but that wasn't so much under discussion back when she formulated her thesis), and traumatizing a gamma creates a rogue.

Basic hallmarks of an Alpha Bastard:

1. The trauma is usually multilayered and long-term. It almost always includes, but is not limited to, daddy issues.
In Thomas Shelby's case, this would be daddy issues + ptsd from WW1 + class disdain (+ all the shit that goes down in the show).

2. ABs respond to this trauma by becoming emotionally withdrawn, cold/self-controlled, and controlling of others. They attempt to fight back against the power that grinds them down by BECOMING the power. They want to beat the rules of the game by controlling the game itself, and thus elevating themselves above the rules. 
Hello, Tommy.

3. They tend to be excellent long-term planners, and outstanding at their 'job', whether that be legitimate or criminal enterprise.
Tommy again.

4. Having hair is not a necessity (of course bald ABs exist) but when present it is usually notably great or at least significant to their identity.
Hilariously apt in Tommy's case.

5. In keeping with 4, appearance is very important to ABs. They don't need the accoutrements of the good life, but they sure do covet and enjoy and prefer them. The best houses, cars, food, booze, clothes, etc... hallmarks of an AB. This doesn't necessarily mean they always have good taste, btw, though many do. Oftentimes some humorous mileage is gotten from the clash between their actual taste and their pretentions of grandeur.
About 50% of the appeal of Peaky Blinders is the style of the houses, clothes, cars, etc.  One can add racehorses to Tommy's list, as well as unrefined personal taste...some good jokes in the series such as the atrociously tacky sapphire he uses as a gift, or about how he keeps all the fancy booze in his pubs but doesn't actually know how to make that classic cocktail of the upper crust Brits, the Gin-and-tonic.

6. ABs generally are not fans of small gestures. They go big for all the important milestones of life: "I love you/thank you/please forgive me/I'm generally awesome" are usually marked by things like massively expensive gifts or otherwise dramatic gestures.
Tommy again... buys various people houses, cars, racehorses, aforementioned gigantic sapphires; murders people on others' behalf; finds peoples' lost children, etc.

7. ABs are powerful and often sexy and attractive, but typically extremely challenging b/c they make only poor to mediocre husbands, lovers, family, or friends.  They often do make the attempt, but they struggle to prioritize human relationships above their Master of the Universe ambitions/immediate schemes. Thus, their interpersonal relationships are usually under strain of one sort or another.  Also, they are not interested in focusing on the hum drum daily chore aspects of life. Good luck getting them to help with housework, or even the nitty gritty of running their business, etc. They have staff for that.
Bingo.

8. Part of the issue with 7 is that ABs manipulate people almost reflexively and can be quite cruel when it comes to emotional manipulation in particular. They often use even loved ones as pawns in their schemes. They love to use sex as a weapon, too. They are effective seducers, though their seduction 'technique' is often just 'I'm clearly so awesome that everyone wants to fuck me, so I'm barely going to bother with flirting or seduction' type of arrogance. This works for them surprisingly often.
Tommy does this constantly, and his 'seduction' technique is hilarious (so much so that my husband and I have taken to saying, "Do you have a map of your house?" when we are trying to be sexy); though I note that he keeps trying to/believing he's using sex as a weapon, only to have that often bite him in the ass, which is amusing.

9.  ABs tend to have a weakness for something helpless/innocent/unthreatening. They sometimes get trapped in 'savior' psychology. Sometimes it's babies, often it's animals, sometimes it's (seemingly) innocent or helpless love interests.
Tommy clearly loves horses, though his business interests often require treating the racehorses in a way that the ASPCA might question

10. So why do people put up with ABs in their lives? Well, power is attractive; and the 'good life' is compelling even if it comes with a boatload of manipulation. ABs make for excellent drama. But most important, ABs are phenomenal in crisis situations. They can be expected to save the world or bring it to its knees.  Any time you need someone to put a big complex plan in place and (IMPORTANT) have the patience to execute it, write a giant check, hire the hit man or orchestrate the hit, dispose of evidence, put on the celebratory party, infiltrate the government, incite a political movement, or generally swagger around like the biggest, baddest, swinging dick in the zip code, etc.... you call the AB and he delivers in spectacular fashion.
There's a reason that every single episode has slo-mo power walks, usually of Tommy.  There's a reason that the show opened with Tommy ostentatiously riding into the Birmingham manufacturing district on a fancy racehorse in a signal that he was about to level up in a huge way. There's a reason that the show milks most of its drama from the few occasions that Tommy's complex machinations get stymied or he gets outplayed. It's not common, b/c he is a King Alpha Bastard Master of the Universe.

So that's your classic Alpha Bastard.  This is not my preferred type of hero, so when I was trying to think of ABs that I personally particularly enjoyed, I struggled a bit.  Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man generally fits, I think, as does Thomas Crown from the Thomas Crown Affair. 
ETA: Oh, duh.  Batman/Bruce Wayne = AB.

At the time of her writing the essays, some of the examples given were Tony Soprano, Mr. Big on Sex in the City, Lex Luther (on Smallville? I think), Angel/Angelus on Buffy/Angel, Brian on Queer as Folk.

I'm sure there's tons of ABs out there though.  He's a staple of good drama.

Ok, I'll need a break to compose an entry about Rogues.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:05:32 PM by wenchsenior »

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2570 on: January 30, 2023, 07:08:10 PM »
I never watched "Boardwalk Empire" during it's initial run on HBO but have just recently started it and really enjoying it so far.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2571 on: January 31, 2023, 07:01:36 AM »
I liked that one also. That was the first time I'd ever seen Steve Buscemi in that kind of role, but it worked well I thought.

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2572 on: February 01, 2023, 01:04:18 AM »
I never watched "Boardwalk Empire" during it's initial run on HBO but have just recently started it and really enjoying it so far.

It's good.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2573 on: February 01, 2023, 06:52:38 AM »
Just finished "freaks and geeks" (now on itv x in the UK). Sooo good!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2574 on: February 01, 2023, 07:07:51 PM »
@wenchsenior thank you and I look forward to the Rogues breakdown. ABs are suuuuper common in Romancelandia, but their previous total dominance has waned a smidge over the last 10 years.

Re TV series
- We are really enjoying the low-stakes fun of Poker Face and it provides a nice antidote to being traumatised by episodes of  The Last of Us (Long, Long Time was *so good*) and Patriot (Dead Serious Rick wiped me).

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2575 on: February 02, 2023, 08:20:23 AM »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2576 on: February 02, 2023, 04:36:46 PM »
Mammals

Starring James Corden, whom I don't love, but he's very good in this. It's a visually beautiful show about couples and affairs and it's a bit bizarre with some odd fantasy sequences and a weird cameo from Tom Jones as himself at a cottage.

It's very watchable until the end where it's fucking brilliant. I loved the ending, loved it. It reframes absolutely everything in this bloody *chef's kiss* perfect way.

It's not a long show, so try it out and if you enjoy it at all, stick with it until the end. It's like some old French films I used to love when I watched classic French films to try and seem more sophisticated on my early 20s.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2577 on: February 03, 2023, 04:34:43 AM »
Has anyone watched 'united states of tara'? About a woman with dissociative identify disorder starring Toni Collette? I thought it would be my cup of tea but finding it hard to get into though persevering as the reviews are generally very good.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2578 on: February 03, 2023, 06:08:24 AM »
Has anyone watched 'united states of tara'? About a woman with dissociative identify disorder starring Toni Collette? I thought it would be my cup of tea but finding it hard to get into though persevering as the reviews are generally very good.

It's...okay

And I say this as someone who absolutely loves Toni Collette, but it's really not great and I don't know why people rave about it. I also don't find it gets better. It just gets darker as they try to actually logically make sense of the dumbfuck plot premise and bring it to some kind of reasonable resolution. It tries to balance the dark and the comedy and doesn't end up working because the dark is about legitimately serious shit relating to severe childhood trauma and the comedy is not dark enough, it's too silly and earnest. It never actually goes into dark comedy territory, which can be brilliantly funny. It just swings back and forth erratically between light playful comedy and heavy dark psychological damage.

That obviously resonated with a lot of people, but I just found it tonally inconsistent, and frankly annoying.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2579 on: February 03, 2023, 06:33:13 AM »

It's...okay

And I say this as someone who absolutely loves Toni Collette, but it's really not great and I don't know why people rave about it. I also don't find it gets better. It just gets darker as they try to actually logically make sense of the dumbfuck plot premise and bring it to some kind of reasonable resolution. It tries to balance the dark and the comedy and doesn't end up working because the dark is about legitimately serious shit relating to severe childhood trauma and the comedy is not dark enough, it's too silly and earnest. It never actually goes into dark comedy territory, which can be brilliantly funny. It just swings back and forth erratically between light playful comedy and heavy dark psychological damage.

That obviously resonated with a lot of people, but I just found it tonally inconsistent, and frankly annoying.

Thanks for this. I think you've articulated what we're also finding with it. Part of it feels almost pantomime like and as you said it doesn't quite sit with the topic.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2580 on: February 04, 2023, 09:11:08 AM »
Work In Progress

I stumbled upon this by accident and only after watching the first season did I see that it has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's a show about a self-proclaimed fat, queer dyke with OCD. The characters are brilliant. I want to be friends with virtually every character in the show.

I also LOVE Julia Sweeney who plays an important and self-referential version of herself. You will likely know Sweeney best as "Pat" from SNL, and that's a big part of the plot.

I've personally adored Julia Sweeney since she did "God Said Ha!" Which is an absolute must-watch for anyone who has faced serious health issues and needs a fucking laugh. I'm pretty sure that one-woman show is what taught me how to talk about the ridiculousness of medical care in a way that captures the heartbreak and absurdity at the same time.

The gem of this show though is definitely a cameo of Weird Al playing a fictional version of himself as Sweeney's husband. He's playing this unfunny, ultra-literal version of himself and it's pure comedy genius. The two play off each other so unbelievably well.

The main character is infuriating at times and does things that are profoundly self-destructive, but it's the comedic honesty with which that kind of behaviour is nakedly portrayed for the audience that makes it so god damn watchable.

If I could sum it up, I would say it's all about a deeply flawed person who doesn't understand how to be loved. Which makes it extremely relatable for a lot of people, either in terms of relating to the main character, or relating to the characters trying to give her love.

Plus it's often very, very funny.

I will look for this. I have liked the other sit coms I’ve seen starring female comediens (they may be all gay, cannot remember.)

Mae Martin’s Feel Good

Tig Notaro’s One Mississippi I loved this one. Tig’s deadpan delivery always amuses me.

…one I cannot remember name, about a woman who goes back to family farm in…Illinois? Indiana?  to live for a while. Her mother is an alcoholic.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2581 on: February 04, 2023, 09:36:11 AM »
I will look for this. I have liked the other sit coms I’ve seen starring female comediens (they may be all gay, cannot remember.)

Mae Martin’s Feel Good

Tig Notaro’s One Mississippi I loved this one. Tig’s deadpan delivery always amuses me.

…one I cannot remember name, about a woman who goes back to family farm in…Illinois? Indiana?  to live for a while. Her mother is an alcoholic.

Oh yeah, I loved One Mississippi, that's a great one. Tig is fantastic.

You should check out Please Like Me on Netflix. The main character isn't a female comedian, but Hannah Gadsby is a significant character, and it's similar to the shows you mentioned, but Australian, and Australians do emotional comedy so incredibly well.

It takes a bit to build up speed, but it gets to a place that's just fantastic and funny and heartbreaking. The ending stayed with me for a very, very long time.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2582 on: February 04, 2023, 12:45:32 PM »
The other show @iris lily is thinking of is Somebody Somewhere and it’s very good.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2583 on: February 04, 2023, 08:21:54 PM »
The other show @iris lily is thinking of is Somebody Somewhere and it’s very good.
That’s it! It was nice but not really great like One Mississippi.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2584 on: February 04, 2023, 08:24:40 PM »

Mae Martin’s Feel Good

You should check out Please Like Me on Netflix. The main character isn't a female comedian, but Hannah Gadsby is a significant character, and it's similar to the shows you mentioned, but Australian, and Australians do emotional comedy so incredibly well.

It takes a bit to build up speed, but it gets to a place that's just fantastic and funny and heartbreaking. The ending stayed with me for a very, very long time.

Please Like Me is not on my Netflix menu. Maybe you in Canada have a different menu, or maybe it was there and now gone.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2585 on: February 04, 2023, 08:35:12 PM »

Mae Martin’s Feel Good

Please Like Me is not on my Netflix menu. Maybe you in Canada have a different menu, or maybe it was there and now gone.

Could be. I still have it on mine.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2586 on: February 06, 2023, 02:29:59 PM »
So, this individual (:salute...not my ideas to follow:) had a general thesis (which is of course reductive, but nevertheless surprisingly accurate to most media), which I will attempt to summarize as follows about media, esp media that creates intense fan followings:

First, you divide most male protagonists into 'alpha' types (natural leaders), 'beta' types (natural followers or community builders), and 'gamma' types (totally flexible).

Then, you commonly (though not always) traumatize them in some way to create drama. There's plenty of shows with plain old alpha, beta, gamma characters, but we are not interested in them in this post.

Traumatizing an alpha creates an alpha bastard, traumatizing a beta creates a sociopath/serial killer/raging misogynist etc. (what we might now think of as classic toxic masculinity, but that wasn't so much under discussion back when she formulated her thesis), and traumatizing a gamma creates a rogue.

Basic hallmarks of an Alpha Bastard:

1. The trauma is usually multilayered and long-term. It almost always includes, but is not limited to, daddy issues.
In Thomas Shelby's case, this would be daddy issues + ptsd from WW1 + class disdain (+ all the shit that goes down in the show).

2. ABs respond to this trauma by becoming emotionally withdrawn, cold/self-controlled, and controlling of others. They attempt to fight back against the power that grinds them down by BECOMING the power. They want to beat the rules of the game by controlling the game itself, and thus elevating themselves above the rules. 
Hello, Tommy.

3. They tend to be excellent long-term planners, and outstanding at their 'job', whether that be legitimate or criminal enterprise.
Tommy again.

4. Having hair is not a necessity (of course bald ABs exist) but when present it is usually notably great or at least significant to their identity.
Hilariously apt in Tommy's case.

5. In keeping with 4, appearance is very important to ABs. They don't need the accoutrements of the good life, but they sure do covet and enjoy and prefer them. The best houses, cars, food, booze, clothes, etc... hallmarks of an AB. This doesn't necessarily mean they always have good taste, btw, though many do. Oftentimes some humorous mileage is gotten from the clash between their actual taste and their pretentions of grandeur.
About 50% of the appeal of Peaky Blinders is the style of the houses, clothes, cars, etc.  One can add racehorses to Tommy's list, as well as unrefined personal taste...some good jokes in the series such as the atrociously tacky sapphire he uses as a gift, or about how he keeps all the fancy booze in his pubs but doesn't actually know how to make that classic cocktail of the upper crust Brits, the Gin-and-tonic.

6. ABs generally are not fans of small gestures. They go big for all the important milestones of life: "I love you/thank you/please forgive me/I'm generally awesome" are usually marked by things like massively expensive gifts or otherwise dramatic gestures.
Tommy again... buys various people houses, cars, racehorses, aforementioned gigantic sapphires; murders people on others' behalf; finds peoples' lost children, etc.

7. ABs are powerful and often sexy and attractive, but typically extremely challenging b/c they make only poor to mediocre husbands, lovers, family, or friends.  They often do make the attempt, but they struggle to prioritize human relationships above their Master of the Universe ambitions/immediate schemes. Thus, their interpersonal relationships are usually under strain of one sort or another.  Also, they are not interested in focusing on the hum drum daily chore aspects of life. Good luck getting them to help with housework, or even the nitty gritty of running their business, etc. They have staff for that.
Bingo.

8. Part of the issue with 7 is that ABs manipulate people almost reflexively and can be quite cruel when it comes to emotional manipulation in particular. They often use even loved ones as pawns in their schemes. They love to use sex as a weapon, too. They are effective seducers, though their seduction 'technique' is often just 'I'm clearly so awesome that everyone wants to fuck me, so I'm barely going to bother with flirting or seduction' type of arrogance. This works for them surprisingly often.
Tommy does this constantly, and his 'seduction' technique is hilarious (so much so that my husband and I have taken to saying, "Do you have a map of your house?" when we are trying to be sexy); though I note that he keeps trying to/believing he's using sex as a weapon, only to have that often bite him in the ass, which is amusing.

9.  ABs tend to have a weakness for something helpless/innocent/unthreatening. They sometimes get trapped in 'savior' psychology. Sometimes it's babies, often it's animals, sometimes it's (seemingly) innocent or helpless love interests.
Tommy clearly loves horses, though his business interests often require treating the racehorses in a way that the ASPCA might question

10. So why do people put up with ABs in their lives? Well, power is attractive; and the 'good life' is compelling even if it comes with a boatload of manipulation. ABs make for excellent drama. But most important, ABs are phenomenal in crisis situations. They can be expected to save the world or bring it to its knees.  Any time you need someone to put a big complex plan in place and (IMPORTANT) have the patience to execute it, write a giant check, hire the hit man or orchestrate the hit, dispose of evidence, put on the celebratory party, infiltrate the government, incite a political movement, or generally swagger around like the biggest, baddest, swinging dick in the zip code, etc.... you call the AB and he delivers in spectacular fashion.
There's a reason that every single episode has slo-mo power walks, usually of Tommy.  There's a reason that the show opened with Tommy ostentatiously riding into the Birmingham manufacturing district on a fancy racehorse in a signal that he was about to level up in a huge way. There's a reason that the show milks most of its drama from the few occasions that Tommy's complex machinations get stymied or he gets outplayed. It's not common, b/c he is a King Alpha Bastard Master of the Universe.

So that's your classic Alpha Bastard.  This is not my preferred type of hero, so when I was trying to think of ABs that I personally particularly enjoyed, I struggled a bit.  Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man generally fits, I think, as does Thomas Crown from the Thomas Crown Affair. 
ETA: Oh, duh.  Batman/Bruce Wayne = AB.

At the time of her writing the essays, some of the examples given were Tony Soprano, Mr. Big on Sex in the City, Lex Luther (on Smallville? I think), Angel/Angelus on Buffy/Angel, Brian on Queer as Folk.

I'm sure there's tons of ABs out there though.  He's a staple of good drama.

Ok, I'll need a break to compose an entry about Rogues.

Long-awaited by approximately 3 of you reading this thread who asked, I finally got time to outline the essential traits of the other male protagonist type that commonly develops big fannish followings (as recreated from a long-ago essay by someone who isn’t me but to whom I am grateful for their perceptiveness and humor):

The Rogue

The Rogue occupies the Rebel-with-Occasional-Cause  slot, both hero and antihero, the 'bad boy'.  Most pirate/smuggler protagonists fit the rogue type, as do most noir heroes. Someone like Robin Hood would be an early example of a Rogue (with or without associated trauma, depending on that particular Robin Hood's backstory). The original essay examples from 20ish years ago included Spike from Buffy/Angel, Fox Mulder from XFiles, Indiana Jones, Han Solo, Rick from Casablanca, Edward Rochester from Jane Eyre, Wolverine from X-Men, and Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. Some slightly more recent examples from my own viewing/reading history:  Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones, Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock, Captain Flint in particular, but most of the primary male characters on Black Sails.

*Upon more reflection, I’d say that Batman/Bruce Wayne, whom I initially categorized as an Alpha Bastard above, is actually more of a hybrid hero. He’s got a lot of the outward trappings of an AB but more of the inner life of a rogue, depending on the particular interpretation. Tyrion Lannister also seems like a hybrid, with long-term layered trauma and the skill set and ambitions of a perpetually stymied Alpha Bastard, but an inner life more similar to a Rogue.

Basic hallmarks of a Rogue

1. Most often the Rogue starts off as a fairly well-adjusted gamma type dude (see Alpha Bastard post), often of an idealistic or Classical Romantic personality. Frequently the traumatizing event that turns him into a Rogue is One Big Hurt that causes a life-changing trauma or triggers an impulsive decision that sets the course of his subsequent life. Rogues often put a fair amount of effort into rejecting trappings of their pre-trauma life and sometimes also their former personality.

Mulder’s sister got taken by aliens, Rochester was pushed by family into a terrible marriage, Spike failed as a poet/was romantically rejected, Jack Sparrow (most recently) lost his beloved ship, Jamie became the Kingslayer/later semi-rejected by his lover, lost his identity as a warrior, etc.

2. Rogues often conceal a soft emotional center (broken heart/shattered ideals) under a tough-guy façade. Personality wise they tend to demonstrate some combo of surliness, overt cynicism, impulsivity, moodiness, obsessiveness, and thrill-seeking behavior. They sometimes also have a tendency toward substance abuse (whereas Alpha Bastards usually need to keep this tendency in check in order to run the universe). 

3. Rogues are antisocial, and usually kind of loners. They tend to ruffle feathers when operating in a community/organization because of their lack of patience and tact (they sometimes function entertainingly as classic “Fools” or blunt tellers of uncomfortable truths to authority [Robin Hood, Spike, Sherlock, Wolverine]) and they hate complicated social or political game-playing. Plus, they have unstable lifestyles, are rarely at home, and are frequently in financial difficulties (see below). Consequently, they usually have only one or two close relationships with a love interest, friend, or a trusted sidekick type. They do not tend to appear as much in gangster type narratives, where allegiance to rules, broader ‘family,’ and authority structure is paramount.

4. Rogue are reflexively rebellious when faced with authority figures. They are contemptuous of efforts (:cough: by Alpha Bastards) spent trying to control The System; Rogues would usually rather flip the bird in ostentatious fashion and operate against or outside the establishment.  Their most typical opponent is therefore men in uniform or other representatives of social or bureaucratic status quo (they also often clash mightily with ABs, if both occur in the same story).

When Rogues themselves obtain positions of authority or operate within the establishment, they are usually in jeopardy and hanging onto their position by the skin of their teeth via raw talent combined with a lot of bullshitting and/or short-term tactical scheming. Or else they are resentful, surly, and uncomfortable (Jamie Lannister, Wolverine). This makes for terrific entertainment value, IMO. Watching Rogues navigate leadership positions or those that involve responsibility for the weak or downtrodden, or strain to fit their square-peg selves into society’s predetermined round holes, is one of my favorite tropes.

5. Rogues have a lot of intrinsic talent and intelligence but for aforementioned reasons they usually have ‘checkered’ careers (if they have actual jobs) or have long since abandoned legitimate employment in favor of activities like smuggling, piracy/theft, questionable archaeology aka looting, mercenary/assassin work, chasing UFOs, solving unsolvable crimes, or otherwise tilting wildly at their own personal windmills. I remember in the original essay, the writer noted that she doubted Indy ever achieved tenure…and I agree. He's barely publishing, I'll bet...far too busy running around the world looking for artifacts to loot… He’s likely a begrudging teacher, too. He’s like a biologist who wants all year to be field season (I know of what I speak).

6. Unlike ABs, Rogues are minimally interested in fashion in general (too fussy/time-consuming/expensive).  Usually, they adopt a consistent and practical look.  When they do show an interest in personal style, it’s usually notably idiosyncratic and closely associated with some aspect of their self-identity (or the identity they are working on cultivating), such as Spike’s punk look, Jack Sparrow's [paraphrased] “Rastafarian meets Keith Richards” ensemble, or Indy’s hat.

7. Rogues have little attachment to money or material possessions. Although they frequently engage in pursuits to make money,  they are not interested in building nest eggs or investing in real estate. Any money gained goes to emergency bill paying or funding their peculiar obsessions, or they simply spend it like the drunken sailors that they often are. If they possess a place of their own, it functions more as a crash pad/storage hovel than a proper home (Indy, Mulder, Sherlock); and if they happen to own a real house, they usually have incredibly ambivalent feelings about it (Rochester). Also, b/c of their lifestyle, anything valuable they own is frequently stolen by enemies or must be abandoned on short notice (Spike, all the piratey types), so why bother? Ideally, Rogues take their 'homes' with them (pirate/smuggler ships, Wolverine’s camper van). If they have a treasured possession, it’s nearly always either totemic or useful in some way (Indy’s whip and hat, Spike’s DeSoto car and leather coat).

8. Rogues usually make better partners--either friends or lovers, than ABs do, once you get past their cynical, prickly, snarky shell. They don’t have the patience for persistent deception or emotional manipulation; they prefer the direct approach unless they are in a sulk, in which case they tend to be passive aggressive. They tend to be very loyal, and since as we know from (1) that they are often concealing an idealistic heart, they are prone to Grand Gestures on behalf of chosen loved ones or foundational principles, such as giving up the Holy Grail to save your life (Indy), running into a burning house to save you (Rochester), giving themselves up to torture to save your sister (Spike), joining a Rebel Alliance (Han), etc.

However, one problem with this tendency is that Rogues tend to be emotionally flighty, and will sometimes become convinced that a Very Bad Idea is in fact a Grand Gesture (attempting bigamy while crazy wife is kept in attic [Rochester], starting a war with the British Navy [Captain Flint], attempting to murder the kid that caught you hooking up with your sister [Jamie], numerous actions that seem like good ideas when you are a soul-less vampire [Spike], going undercover/getting re-hooked on drugs/faking own death [Sherlock]). Rogues generally require partners that are more practical and act as stabilizing influences.

9. If they have love affairs, Rogues are usually Romantics with a capital R. They are mostly sequentially monogamous (though they typically have little trouble attracting casual partners if they want them). Often, they won't have any romantic partner at all either because they are too busy with their personal obsessions, have been scarred by bad romantic experiences in the past, continue to carry a torch for a lost love, or they fear commitment (that's one they do share with ABs).  The good news is that while an AB remains to some degree ‘uncatchable’ at his core (emotionally somewhat removed), if you truly catch a Rogue he is all yours. The downside is, that means he's ALL YOURS, so long after you get sick of him, he’ll probably still be mooning after you, making a pest of himself, and driving away other potential partners with more stable employment.

Finally,

10. Rogues are at their best in a straight-up fight, especially if a personal principle (or a love interest) is involved. As the original essayists’ memorable phrase went, "They shine in ‘run laughing into the mouth of Hell’ type of situations…" so they can be huge assets once they commit to your lost cause or last stand; any situation that involves violent physical confrontation or generally suicidal levels of personal bravery is when they should be called upon. They are NOT as useful for strategic battle planning nor long-term sneakiness nor large bribes (call the Alpha Bastards for that).

The downside of this tendency (if you are in proximity or in a relationship with one) is that Rogues frequently create chaos wherever they go and thus people around them are regularly dragged into their crisis just as often as the Rogue comes swooping in to save the day. (ABs have less tendency to create chaos, but just as much tendency to create collateral damage.)

And what’s worse, Rogues themselves are Lucky Bastards. Frequently they will waltz away from the chaos themselves, unless they are deploying The Biggest Grand Gesture of Them All (suicidal self-sacrifice).  Memorable paraphrase from original essay: you allow yourself to be won over by the Rogue's charms and “… next thing you know you are kidnapped by nazis, or abducted by pirates, or some asshole has stolen your ova to make alien clones”. 

So, unless the Rogue is actually dead, he will often be found post-crisis, drunk and weeping over your tragic end and no doubt (b/c of the eternal bad boy allure) soon attracting his next collateral ‘victim’ aka friend, partner, or lover.

It is truly hilarious how well Captain Flint hits every single trope on this list, to the extent that we coined the term "Flint Syphilis" while watching Black Sails, b/c of the inexorable gravitational field that his crazy obsession and charisma exerts, infecting practically every character in proximity and sucking them into a vortex of chaos. SO GREAT.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:38:19 PM by wenchsenior »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2587 on: February 06, 2023, 04:13:34 PM »
Wenchsenior - I loved this! As soon as I read "Rebel with Occasional Cause" my inner 15 year old sighed "Spike!"

This feels like something that would have been in Salon or jezebel back in the day.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2588 on: February 06, 2023, 04:38:10 PM »
I need more examples of classic rogues.

I think Rhett Butler is a classic rogue. Heathcliff? He certainly damaged.  In modern times TV’s “Rake” (Brilliant .Australian show, especially the first season) is such a rogue we are clued in with the title of the show.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 09:08:59 PM by iris lily »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2589 on: February 06, 2023, 05:30:31 PM »
Wenchsenior - I loved this! As soon as I read "Rebel with Occasional Cause" my inner 15 year old sighed "Spike!"

This feels like something that would have been in Salon or jezebel back in the day.

My 80 year old mother and I just ran across a rerun of Buffy the other day and we both sighed, "Ah, Spike!"

Rogues are my fave type of fictional hero, though I find ABs dramatically compelling.  I also have a fondness for what I think as the "Bertie Wooster" type... good hearted, sometimes slightly pretentious, often dithery and easily overwhelmed, sometimes slightly dim or at least hapless. A good example would be Niles on Frasier, and many early career Hugh Grant roles would also fit this type.

One female type that I love is what I think of as: The Adventurous Librarian (literally embodied by Rachel Weisz in the 1999 Mummy .)

I really need to figure out some other types and put some effort into following the original poster's lead and doing a legit character breakdown.

Btw, speaking of Alpha Bastards and characteristic number 9, we are a few more seasons into Peaky Blinders and right on schedule, Tommy is sponsoring orphanages LOL. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 05:54:07 PM by wenchsenior »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2590 on: February 06, 2023, 05:32:12 PM »

I think Rhett Butler is a classic rugue. Heath lord?mHe was certainly damaged.  In modern times TV’s “Rake” (Brilliant .Australian show, especially the first season) is such a rogue we are clued in with the title of the show.

Definitely Rhett Butler.

I'd love people to contribute examples for either type (or chime in with their favorite type). Any rogues that I haven't yet seen I will definitely put on my list.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2591 on: February 06, 2023, 05:44:25 PM »
@wenchsenior thank you and I look forward to the Rogues breakdown. ABs are suuuuper common in Romancelandia, but their previous total dominance has waned a smidge over the last 10 years.

I was thinking about this too b/c I find ABs very fun in visual media but less so in novels. One good example of an AB that I found compelling back Ye Olden Teen years was F'lar from Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, and I can think of a few others. But in romance novels you are correct, they seemed to be the default type until recently, which might be why I rarely enjoyed many romance novels in my youth. Much better selection of hero types now.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2592 on: February 06, 2023, 09:19:21 PM »

I think Rhett Butler is a classic rugue. Heath lord?mHe was certainly damaged.  In modern times TV’s “Rake” (Brilliant .Australian show, especially the first season) is such a rogue we are clued in with the title of the show.

Definitely Rhett Butler.

I'd love people to contribute examples for either type (or chime in with their favorite type). Any rogues that I haven't yet seen I will definitely put on my list.
Vic Mackey, rogue cop in tv’s The Shield.

?Al Swearengen, tavern owner, on Deadwood. Not sure about this one. Perhaps he was instead a smooth and fascinating bad man.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2593 on: February 06, 2023, 09:21:37 PM »

I was thinking about this too b/c I find ABs very fun in visual media but less so in novels. One good example of an AB that I found compelling back Ye Olden Teen years was F'lar from Anne McCaffrey's Pern books, and I can think of a few others. But in romance novels you are correct, they seemed to be the default type until recently, which might be why I rarely enjoyed many romance novels in my youth. Much better selection of hero types now.

Oh, funny! I am reading about F’lar right now in the first Pern book, the first time I’ve dipped into the Pern series.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2594 on: February 07, 2023, 10:37:03 AM »

Definitely Rhett Butler.

?Al Swearengen, tavern owner, on Deadwood. Not sure about this one. Perhaps he was instead a smooth and fascinating bad man.

I was just about to start watching Deadwood, so I will definitely report back.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2595 on: February 07, 2023, 10:58:25 AM »

Oh, funny! I am reading about F’lar right now in the first Pern book, the first time I’ve dipped into the Pern series.

F'lar's fantastic hair, Daddy issues, primo transportation (I love you, M'nementh!), and general dick-swinging arrogance and manipulation/deployment of all the people around him in long-term strategic plans are so classic.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2596 on: February 07, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »

Definitely Rhett Butler.

Movie or tv series?

I confess to not having seen the film. The TV show was sublime.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2597 on: February 07, 2023, 11:19:30 AM »
Just finished "freaks and geeks" (now on itv x in the UK). Sooo good!
Freaks and Greeks was a fabulous show. Truly classic. I love smart girl  Lindsay and her dilemma of where she fits in her high school crowd. Her little brother’s cadre of friends are hilarious.

Judd Apatow made another short-lived series called “Undeclared”  about college kids. It isn’t as good as freaks and geeks but it’s decent.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2598 on: February 07, 2023, 11:31:58 AM »

Definitely Rhett Butler.

Movie or tv series?

The show. I've not watched most of the famous 'prestige' shows, so I'm just getting to this.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2599 on: February 07, 2023, 11:35:25 AM »

Definitely Rhett Butler.

Movie or tv series?

The show. I've not watched most of the famous 'prestige' shows, so I'm just getting to this.

I don’t like westerns, but Deadwood transcended its genre. I watched it a few years after it was first put out because we never had cable tv so I ended up getting it on DVDs from the library. There are so many interesting characters in Deadwood! And then, that introduced me to the actor Timothy Olyphant, and I went on to watch Justified,  another great television series.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 11:54:25 AM by iris lily »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!