Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 705868 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1350 on: November 11, 2020, 10:31:57 AM »
it was sort of a disney ending. i figured a chess show would have something more convoluted. i still recommend it though.

In the episode of Community I watched yesterday, there was a fake school newscast and the ticker at the bottom had the headline, 'Chess Club unexpectedly moves meeting, won't explain why'

I think the show was going for broad appeal and something too esoteric or 'inside' at the end would have disappointed folks that weren't there for the chess or knowledgeable about chess history.  For instance, most people would not realize that the time period chosen was necessary so that 'chess computer engines' could not be used during the final match. 

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1351 on: November 11, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
My wife and I really enjoyed Queens' Gambit. We're suckers for most period pieces, and this might be Anya Taylor-Joy's star turn. Damn, she was watchable as hell, even in a (fairly) subdued roll.

So now we have all of these other "recommended by Netflix" series we can watch based on us liking QG. All look to take place between late 1800s and early 1900s. They all look pretty decent.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1352 on: November 12, 2020, 05:54:53 AM »
I just started watching "Counterpart" on Starz, starring JK Simmons, whom I love.

It's REALLY fantastic so far, and I'm only a few episodes in. It's an espionage show set in Berlin with a seriously unique twist to it.

It's slick as hell, the cast is amazing, the dialogue and character dyamics are sharp, and the action is very well executed (no pun intended). I can't really say much about why it's so interesting without spoiling the first episode, and I'm only about 4 episodes in, but so far I'm really enjoying it, and I'm shocked I've never heard of it before.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1353 on: November 12, 2020, 08:07:41 AM »
I just started watching "Counterpart" on Starz, starring JK Simmons, whom I love.

It's REALLY fantastic so far, and I'm only a few episodes in. It's an espionage show set in Berlin with a seriously unique twist to it.

It's slick as hell, the cast is amazing, the dialogue and character dyamics are sharp, and the action is very well executed (no pun intended). I can't really say much about why it's so interesting without spoiling the first episode, and I'm only about 4 episodes in, but so far I'm really enjoying it, and I'm shocked I've never heard of it before.

my gf is german so she enjoys a good berliner crime drama. have you seen babylon berlin?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1354 on: November 12, 2020, 08:17:22 AM »

my gf is german so she enjoys a good berliner crime drama. have you seen babylon berlin?

Seconded. Babylon Berlin is really good.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1355 on: November 12, 2020, 08:35:04 AM »
My wife and I really enjoyed Queens' Gambit. We're suckers for most period pieces, and this might be Anya Taylor-Joy's star turn. Damn, she was watchable as hell, even in a (fairly) subdued roll.

So now we have all of these other "recommended by Netflix" series we can watch based on us liking QG. All look to take place between late 1800s and early 1900s. They all look pretty decent.
She was memorable in The Witch. She was watchable in the not great film The Miniaturist.

I havent seen Emma but am having a hard time visualizing her as jane Austen’s self assured heroine..

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1356 on: November 12, 2020, 09:58:19 AM »

I haven't, but I've seen a few Berlin crime dramas, and Counterpart is very, very different. It's closer to a British spy drama with American style spy drama violence set in Berlin and...well, sort of Berlin.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1357 on: November 13, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »

I haven't, but I've seen a few Berlin crime dramas, and Counterpart is very, very different. It's closer to a British spy drama with American style spy drama violence set in Berlin and...well, sort of Berlin.

I really enjoyed Counterpart as well. It's got a science fiction aspect to it that makes it more interesting to me than many spy dramas. Plus, there's an aspect that very apropos to 2020. Can only hint in vague terms because of spoilers.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1358 on: November 13, 2020, 11:30:10 PM »

One more shout-out to Queen's Gambit.  A little more back-story https://youtu.be/MaMv4cQtEnw?t=517

I have really enjoyed a bit of re-watch and studying up on the history behind the games the novel was based on...

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1359 on: November 15, 2020, 03:48:09 PM »
So we had finished Schitt's Creek a few months ago but last night we went back and watched Best Wishes, Warmest Regards, the documentary about making the final season. Not only was it amazing, SO and I were both like 'Yeah, we should rewatch the series starting now!'.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1360 on: November 15, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »

She was memorable in The Witch. She was watchable in the not great film The Miniaturist.

I havent seen Emma but am having a hard time visualizing her as jane Austen’s self assured heroine..

Emma was pretty cute. I’m not sure how well it worked if you didn’t already know the story, but it was gorgeous to look at.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1361 on: November 15, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »

Emma was pretty cute. I’m not sure how well it worked if you didn’t already know the story, but it was gorgeous to look at.

I thought she was decent in it. It definitely wasn’t as good a version as the one with Gwynneth Paltrow, but Anya Taylor-Joy was not the weak link.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1362 on: November 25, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
We're starting Season 3 of Schitt's Creek. I'd give Season One a 5/10. We almost dumped it, but I was like, "Let's give it one more season, I hear it picks up."

Season Two was much more fun, and we laughed much more than we had before. I'd give Season 2 a 7/10 with clear paths for continued character growth, and I'm guessing stronger seasons ahead.

And is anyone else watching The Crown? I don't remember what Margaret Thatcher was like, but Gillian Anderson, imo, has crushed it, just totally disappearing into her character. Hell, I had a huge crush on her during her X-Files days but I keep forgetting it's even her.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1363 on: November 25, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »
We're starting Season 3 of Schitt's Creek. I'd give Season One a 5/10. We almost dumped it, but I was like, "Let's give it one more season, I hear it picks up."

Season Two was much more fun, and we laughed much more than we had before. I'd give Season 2 a 7/10 with clear paths for continued character growth, and I'm guessing stronger seasons ahead.

And is anyone else watching The Crown? I don't remember what Margaret Thatcher was like, but Gillian Anderson, imo, has crushed it, just totally disappearing into her character. Hell, I had a huge crush on her during her X-Files days but I keep forgetting it's even her.

Nick you can’t have Gillian!  On some other threadI declared my girl crush on Gillian Anderson.

She has put out so many great performances in recent years: The Fall is a wonderful multi-episode tale about a serial killer. She plays a big city detective in the case. She is fab as Thatcher. I loved her as Lily Bart in House of Mirth.

But her languid, destroyed-by-lost- love role as Lady Deadham in Bleak House haunts me.

I dipped into Sex
Education but haven’t gone further with it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:25:04 PM by iris lily »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1364 on: November 25, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »

Nick you can’t have Gillian!  On some other threadI declared my girl crush on Gillian Anderson.

She has put out so many great performances in recent years: The Fall is a wonderful multi-episode tale about a serial killer. She plays a big city detective in the case. She is fab as That her. I loved her as Lily Bart in House of Mirth.

But her languid, destroyed-by-lost- love role as Lady Deadham in Bleak House haunts me.

I dipped into Sex

:elbows everyone:  OUT OF THE WAY! I'm first in line for Gillian.  She's been on my short list of 'will jump preference fence for' since college.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: November 25, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »

She has put out so many great performances in recent years: The Fall is a wonderful multi-episode tale about a serial killer. She plays a big city detective in the case. She is fab as That her. I loved her as Lily Bart in House of Mirth.

I dipped into Sex

:elbows everyone:  OUT OF THE WAY! I'm first in line for Gillian.  She's been on my short list of 'will jump preference fence for' since college.

Total girl crush on Gillian Anderson here. I loved Scully, especially as a biochem major in undergrad. In the early 2000s, I recommended The House of Mirth to my skeptical then-boss, who was NOT an X-files fan, and he came in the next Monday and told me that he was blown away. Husband and I both loved The Fall. And now I need to track down Bleak House so thanks for the rec.

Although the Crown is basically a fancy soap opera, the portrayals of Margaret Thatcher, Princess Diana, Princess Anne, and Prince Philip (along with those of the young QE2 and Winston Churchill in the first two seasons) have been outstanding and so much fun.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1366 on: November 25, 2020, 12:52:46 PM »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: November 25, 2020, 01:24:29 PM »

Yeah, totally agree that Gillian Anderson crushed it as Thatcher. She was better than Meryl Streep. By a long shot.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1368 on: November 25, 2020, 01:28:53 PM »
We've started watching 'Raised by Wolves'.  Only a couple episodes in so far, but it's good sci-fi.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1369 on: November 25, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
We've been watching "Farscape" on Amazon Prime. It's a sci-fi series from Australia produced in the late 90s/early 2000s with special effects and puppetry by the Jim Henson Company. It's great to watch if you are into really weird sci-fi. They explore the truly alien on this show. And the creatures are just tremendous. Great fun!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1370 on: November 25, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »
Finished Counterpart, which was wrapped up well. I love a well ended show. Highly recommend. I've always loved JK Simmons, but I don't think I ever appreciated how nuanced he is. Him acting opposite himself? Flawless. He really needs to star in more shows.

Now on to a similar toned show called Manhattan, which has some main cast overlap with Counterpart, and is all about physicists working on the Manhattan project.

Really well done so far, incredible cast, and a good range of character types and dynamics. It's nerdly enough to be fun, but my DH is also able to follow and  he understands less physics than a toddler dropping cheerios on the ground.

I guess I just never thought about it, but the show illustrates how these scientists are all working together in an isolated desert compound on this top secret project, but all of them and their families are under constant military control and surveillance for possible espionage.

I only have one small issue with it right now and that's one of the affair plots, and there are a few among the main characters. This one has exactly zero chemistry though and gets a ton of build up and screen time. I think a big part of it is that one of them is this French woman who feels written with the sole purpose of titillating the other, but unlike everyone else, doesn't feel like a real person, just cigarettes, red lipstick, pansexuality, and Albert Camus. I hope it becomes relevant to the rest of the plot soon, because otherwise I'll just start tuning out at those scenes. So far, it's also a total waste of Rachel Bosnahan, but she gets top billing, so her character must have a bigger arc coming...I hope.

Otherwise, like Counterpart, it's really the dynamics between the characters that's most interesting, and the plots and intrigue act more as a backdrop for the well imagined and crafted relationships.

As a former scientist myself, I felt they really nailed the peculiar camaraderie of research labmates.

Of course, I'm now going to have to read extensively about the Manhattan Project, since I'm probably more familiar with Dr. Manhattan and the Watchmen than I am with the Manhattan Project, and that's just embarrassing.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1371 on: November 25, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
We've been watching "Farscape" on Amazon Prime. It's a sci-fi series from Australia produced in the late 90s/early 2000s with special effects and puppetry by the Jim Henson Company. It's great to watch if you are into really weird sci-fi. They explore the truly alien on this show. And the creatures are just tremendous. Great fun!

Ugh, I feel like every boy I dated in the 90s tried to get me into Farscape.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1372 on: November 25, 2020, 09:28:23 PM »

LOL - my now husband definitely showed me a million episodes of Farscape in the early aughts. I eventually sort of enjoyed it. Dr. Mac from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries was in the later seasons.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1373 on: November 25, 2020, 09:47:15 PM »
I know I'm really late to this but...The Good Place!  About 2/3 of the way through the first season and I like it!  Fun and a bit over the top, but not too much (hope it stays that way).

We started this after just finishing A French Village, which we started watching right around the beginning of shelter-in-place.  It was fascinating to watch this show about an occupied village in France in 40-45-ish.  The moral dilemmas, the increasing challenges, the resistance.  A lot of it had echoes today (we ended it right around the time of the American election, which worked out well). It petered out in the last season or season and a half, but that almost made it easier for us when it ended, since we'd been watching it several nights a week for over 6 months and it would have been a tough withdrawal if it ended at its peak. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1374 on: November 26, 2020, 05:18:15 AM »
Lovesick

"Lovesick" was adorable! I watched it twice.

Currently alternating between "Midnight Sun" (SBS On Demand)  and "Dead to Me" (Netflix). The first is a Swedish/French noir murder series, the 2nd fun, escapist, soap-opera-ey murder.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1375 on: November 26, 2020, 06:08:12 AM »

LOL - my now husband definitely showed me a million episodes of Farscape in the early aughts. I eventually sort of enjoyed it. Dr. Mac from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries was in the later seasons.

Well, I for one am enjoying our trips to Planet Brisbane in the Dingo Nebula. Thank you very much.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1376 on: November 26, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »

Well, I for one am enjoying our trips to Planet Brisbane in the Dingo Nebula. Thank you very much.

Ha, love it! We're about due for a Farscape rewatch and I am going to start calling it the Dingo Nebula.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1377 on: November 27, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »
I just love watching the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, he's hysterically funny.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1378 on: November 27, 2020, 11:17:33 PM »
Lovesick

"Lovesick" was adorable! I watched it twice.

Yup. I'm re-watching it right now with a friend that hasn't seen it.

I learned the other day that the first season, before Netflix picked it up, it was called Scrotal Recall.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1379 on: November 30, 2020, 07:15:50 AM »

I dipped into Sex

Total girl crush on Gillian Anderson here. I loved Scully, especially as a biochem major in undergrad. In the early 2000s, I recommended The House of Mirth to my skeptical then-boss, who was NOT an X-files fan, and he came in the next Monday and told me that he was blown away. Husband and I both loved The Fall. And now I need to track down Bleak House so thanks for the rec.

Although the Crown is basically a fancy soap opera, the portrayals of Margaret Thatcher, Princess Diana, Princess Anne, and Prince Philip (along with those of the young QE2 and Winston Churchill in the first two seasons) have been outstanding and so much fun.

No love for Olivia Colman?  I haven't got that far yet, but I'm really looking forward to it, given she won the Golden Globe for the role.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1380 on: November 30, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
Enjoying the new Star Trek series. Liked Picard. Watching DS9 if I have a spare hour and need something on the TV that isn't demanding.

Was not enjoying this series which so many people have complimented. Suddenly towards the end of the second season something changed. The look changed, the characters are less two dimensional to me, etc.

All series seem to take a moment to find their groove. I was ready to give up on DS9 but glad that I stuck it out.

Also three episodes into the Queen's Gambit. I like it.

Also enjoyed watching Enola Holmes (movie) with my family. Looking forward to the sequel.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1381 on: November 30, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »

I dipped into Sex

No love for Olivia Colman?  I haven't got that far yet, but I'm really looking forward to it, given she won the Golden Globe for the role.

She's one of my favorite actors and does a fine job, as always, but I think she's a bit overshadowed by some of the other actors on The Crown. I'm honestly shocked that Tobias Menzies hasn't won more awards for his role on the show.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1382 on: November 30, 2020, 12:56:53 PM »

I dipped into Sex

She's one of my favorite actors and does a fine job, as always, but I think she's a bit overshadowed by some of the other actors on The Crown. I'm honestly shocked that Tobias Menzies hasn't won more awards for his role on the show.

Agreed, love Olivia Coleman, but I actually prefered Claire Foy's performance as the Queen. I felt she so nailed the stoic  seriousness of her. I found Olivia Coleman's queen more likeable, but not really what I wanted from the character.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1383 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »

I dipped into Sex

Agreed, love Olivia Coleman, but I actually prefered Claire Foy's performance as the Queen. I felt she so nailed the stoic  seriousness of her. I found Olivia Coleman's queen more likeable, but not really what I wanted from the character.

i agree. she seems a little to quirky. still a good show though.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1384 on: November 30, 2020, 01:54:52 PM »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1385 on: November 30, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »
Last season of The Crown I thought Coleman was just Ok. But she had to follow the beautiful, ethereally beautiful, Clair Foye. And the writing in Season 3 was lackluster. Season 4 is more interesting and as such so is the Queen herself.

Coleman was great in Broadchurch and enormously wonderful in
The Favourite. Loved that movie!

I thought
Mendes was forgetable last season, but I like him better in S4.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1386 on: December 01, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »
Last season of The Crown I thought Coleman was just Ok. But she had to follow the beautiful, ethereally beautiful, Clair Foye. And the writing in Season 3 was lackluster. Season 4 is more interesting and as such so is the Queen herself.

I thought

Yes, pretty impressive that she is equally good playing a character like DS Miller as she is the playing Queen of England!  If you haven't listened, fans may like Colman's appearance on David Tennant's podcast (first episode).

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1387 on: December 01, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1388 on: December 01, 2020, 06:10:56 PM »

I thought

Yes, pretty impressive that she is equally good playing a character like DS Miller as she is the playing Queen of England!  If you haven't listened, fans may like Colman's appearance on David Tennant's podcast (first episode).

That podcast episode is so good.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1389 on: December 06, 2020, 05:53:10 AM »
I’m going through a documentary phase and THE KEEPERS on Netflix has really stayed with me.  It’s about the murder of a young, beloved nun and a sexual abuse conspiracy with the Catholic Church in Baltimore. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1390 on: December 06, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »
I’m going through a documentary phase and THE KEEPERS on Netflix has really stayed with me.  It’s about the murder of a young, beloved nun and a sexual abuse conspiracy with the Catholic Church in Baltimore.

The Keepers was huge about 2 years ago. The documentary started lots of interest from people who can’t solve it and have no authority to act, as well as interest from others who have some authority to act in reopening it. I’m not sure where that case is right now.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1391 on: December 07, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
Finally started The Crown on NetFlix a couple weeks back.  Into the start of Season 3 right now.  It is enjoyable, but I do find slow points.  Season 1 was much better than Season 2 IMO.  Season 3 now had the new actors which is taking some getting used to, and I truly detest Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret.  I felt the original actress was MUCH better and entertaining.  I have only watched the first two episodes of Season 3 so far so maybe my opinion will change but right now that is where I stand.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1392 on: December 10, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
i find the show 'the crown' not so much about the queen, but a queen.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1393 on: December 15, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
watched 'hillbilly elegy' on netflix last night. i thought it was awful. was the book any good?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1394 on: December 15, 2020, 09:32:18 AM »
watched 'hillbilly elegy' on netflix last night. i thought it was awful. was the book any good?

I thought the book was great, but that might be b/c it almost perfectly reflected my spouse's lived background/experience/changing awareness (though he's become more politically liberal over time than the book's author has, but then my husband is much older than the book's author and was not as liberal when I met him as he has become).

Adapting the book to film or miniseries always sounded like an absolute recipe for disaster to me, unless it was actually adapted by someone of similar background to the author. Having typical Hollywood types adapt it in an attempt to be Oscar-baity seemed like a terrible idea from the get-go. Even then, Hollywood could have picked an interesting edgy director who might have done something with it. But....Ron Howard, so...

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1395 on: December 15, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »

I thought the book was great, but that might be b/c it almost perfectly reflected my spouse's lived background/experience/changing awareness (though he's become more politically liberal over time than the book's author has, but then my husband is much older than the book's author and was not as liberal when I met him as he has become).

Adapting the book to film or miniseries always sounded like an absolute recipe for disaster to me, unless it was actually adapted by someone of similar background to the author. Having typical Hollywood types adapt it in an attempt to be Oscar-baity seemed like a terrible idea from the get-go. Even then, Hollywood could have picked an interesting edgy director who might have done something with it. But....Ron Howard, so...

i don't know if anyone has seen the old movie 'the wild and wonderful whites of west virginia'. it was a fairly crazy movie/documentary about hillbilly/drug addiction/elvis impersonators that starts off funny and gets more depressing as it goes along. it opened my eyes to the whole appalachian poverty and drug abuse scene.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1396 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33:37 PM »
The Kominsky Method.
I watched the first episode a few years ago and thought it was kind of dumb, and thought that since I didn't care at all about Michael Douglas and Nancy Travis and their lukewarm chemistry that I would find the entire show tedious. I liked Alan Arkin as his buddy, but didn't think that would be enough to keep me interested.

Well, I was wrong. The show is barely, barely about Michael and Nancy as a couple. It's actually about Michael and Alan and their senior male friendship love bond, and even better, it's more about Alan Arkin than it is about Michael Douglas.

The dialogue is ridiculous and fantastic, and Arkin is actually really touching in his representation of a man dealing with still being very much in love with his wife who recently died.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1397 on: December 15, 2020, 12:39:10 PM »

Book was great. I don’t plan to watch the film because It has been castigated by critics, and anyway I’ve already read the book and know  outcome.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 08:45:34 PM by iris lily »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1398 on: December 15, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
The Kominsky Method.
I watched the first episode a few years ago and thought it was kind of dumb, and thought that since I didn't care at all about Michael Douglas and Nancy Travis and their lukewarm chemistry that I would find the entire show tedious. I liked Alan Arkin as his buddy, but didn't think that would be enough to keep me interested.

Well, I was wrong. The show is barely, barely about Michael and Nancy as a couple. It's actually about Michael and Alan and their senior male friendship love bond, and even better, it's more about Alan Arkin than it is about Michael Douglas.

The dialogue is ridiculous and fantastic, and Arkin is actually really touching in his representation of a man dealing with still being very much in love with his wife who recently died.

Yep, DH and I both love that series. Really a hidden gem.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1399 on: December 15, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »

i don't know if anyone has seen the old movie 'the wild and wonderful whites of west virginia'. it was a fairly crazy movie/documentary about hillbilly/drug addiction/elvis impersonators that starts off funny and gets more depressing as it goes along. it opened my eyes to the whole appalachian poverty and drug abuse scene.

It's not just the south/southeast. My husband is a western boy, born and bred, but his experience is the same.  I think that type of  poor rural experience is pretty common, regardless of area of the country.  I remember a few years ago, we started to watch Winter's Bone, got 20 minutes in, and he was so upset that he couldn't watch anymore...took him right back to the life that he struggled so much to break away from.