Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 698246 times)

WootWoot

• Bristles
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
Finished watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix. Am now done with "Inspector Morse" and am onto "Inspector Lewis."

Have you seen the "Endeavour" series?  It's about the young detective Morse.  I think it's even better than the Morse series and the Lewis series.  Highly recommend.

No, I haven't seen "Endeavour" yet. I thought I should watch "Lewis" first. Does it make a difference, i.e. spoilers, if I go into "Endeavour" now?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
Finished watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix. Am now done with "Inspector Morse" and am onto "Inspector Lewis."

Have you seen the "Endeavour" series?  It's about the young detective Morse.  I think it's even better than the Morse series and the Lewis series.  Highly recommend.

No, I haven't seen "Endeavour" yet. I thought I should watch "Lewis" first. Does it make a difference, i.e. spoilers, if I go into "Endeavour" now?

Nope--wouldn't make any difference, except that, in my opinion, Endeavour is so much better--watching Lewis after Endeavour might be a bit of a let down.  But it's all good stuff.  :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2017, 03:10:32 AM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned Grimm yet?  I'm loving it so far.  Loosely based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales.

I loved that, I'm so sad that it ended recently!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
I watched the first episode of "Westworld". Was an interesting sci-fi situation. Eager to see where the story goes.

Will finish TWD someday. I watched a season or so and got tired of the gore. I always do. I liked the survival story.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:36 AM »
On episode 2 of Black Mirror.

Just wow. The frightening thing is, it's all happening in real time right now.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2017, 07:19:27 AM »
On episode 2 of Black Mirror.

Just wow. The frightening thing is, it's all happening in real time right now.

Yes Black Mirror is great, all of the episodes!

I was watching Bill Nye Saves the World, and ho hum it's just not that great. The science is a bit too basic for me, not that startling.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
I forgot to mention Hannibal which was one of my favorite shows. I freaking loved Hannibal. I really have a thing for anti-hero esque/villainous characters

Walter White
Hannibal
Omar Little
Captain Flint.

I also recently finished Sneaky Pete and Newsroom to the recommendation of people here.

Sneaky Pete was entertaining but underwhelming and I kind of really hated Bryan Cranston's cliché rehashed villain. I can't believe someone okayed that and if he wasn't brilliant in Breaking Bad and a part of my Malcolm in the Middle loving child hood, this would make it very hard to like him. He played this role by the book. I still cringe thinking about it.

Newsroom - Newsroom was overly optimistic, at times preachy but it strangely keeps it together to be quite entertaining. It at times really does come of as a bunch of self-righteous nonsense, but there's a part of you that still remains on their side. It also has this moments where it just does things that I love to see in television. It also doesn't take itself too seriously and neither should you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:50:16 AM by Rimu05 »

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »
Started watching "Endeavour" last week and I love it so far. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nope--wouldn't make any difference, except that, in my opinion, Endeavour is so much better--watching Lewis after Endeavour might be a bit of a let down.  But it's all good stuff.  :)

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »
Midsomer Murders. There are currently 18 seasons on Netflix.

+1!!!

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
Elementary - we are halfway through season 2 and it is really good.  Love the guy who plays Sherlock in it.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »
Just started the new season of Doctor Who... not impressed with this series so far, but maybe I'm setting the bar too high for a show about an old man in a magic box who fights people in rubber monster suits?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
Wow the Handmaid's Tale packs a wallop

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2017, 09:16:56 PM »
Just started the new season of Doctor Who... not impressed with this series so far, but maybe I'm setting the bar too high for a show about an old man in a magic box who fights people in rubber monster suits?

I haven't really gotten used to the new Doctor yet. The 10th was my favorite.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2017, 11:22:46 AM »

Oh, yes. I am glad Hulu is releasing episodes weekly from here on out...I do not think I could take watching this show in long increments. The acting is terrific and the cinematography is just stunning.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
Elementary - we are halfway through season 2 and it is really good.  Love the guy who plays Sherlock in it.

Ah, yes, one of Angelina Jolie's many ex-husbands (he was the first).

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »

Oh, yes. I am glad Hulu is releasing episodes weekly from here on out...I do not think I could take watching this show in long increments. The acting is terrific and the cinematography is just stunning.

Yes it's like drinking caffeine

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:26 PM »

I haven't really gotten used to the new Doctor yet. The 10th was my favorite.

I hear that ALL the time! I didn't get into the show till the 11th, so Matt Smith is my Doctor, but I've re-watched all the 10th episodes and enjoyed a lot of the quirkier, more futuristic stuff they were up to (Face of Boe, cat people, giant crab traffic jam, etc)

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2017, 02:39:32 AM »

Ah, yes, one of Angelina Jolie's many ex-husbands (he was the first).

I too love Elementary. I did not know that the actor used to be married to Angelina Jolie - learned something new this morning!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
Ancient Aliens
Fixer Upper
Stitchers
Handmaid Tale
24 Legacy
The Wiggles (for the tots)
Shark Tank

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2017, 08:24:22 PM »
Just finished all 4 seasons of Bates Motel on Netflix. Really good acting and drama.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »
The West Wing

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
House of Cards back next week, eagerly awaiting. 

Also been told by numerous people that "Billions" is excellent; I don't have Showtime but I can buy the season for $30, think I'm going to try it out this summer.  I'm a sucker for a good business/financial world docudrama (I just read Black Edge which is about the investigation of SAC Capital, apparently what Billions is kinda-sorta based on).

skeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »
Thanks to the internet and mostly free streaming:
-Scorpion
-Bull
-Black List
-Baby Daddy
-Last Man Standing

I also watch alot of Top Gear and Grand Tour.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »

Also been told by numerous people that "Billions" is excellent; I don't have Showtime but I can buy the season for $30, think I'm going to try it out this summer.  I'm a sucker for a good business/financial world docudrama (I just read Black Edge which is about the investigation of SAC Capital, apparently what Billions is kinda-sorta based on).

If you have a Roku you can usually get a 7 day free trial subscription for Showtime.  Try that out if you don't mind binge watching the show or wanted to check out a few episodes before buying it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

I thought Billions' first season was excellent, but I haven't seen the 2nd season.  My local library has the full season 1, so you might check your library before paying $$ for it.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »

I don't know if this is true for Showtime, but HBO archives everything they have ever produced and you get access with your paid subscription. So what I will do when Game of Thrones comes back is wait until 1 month before the season finale (which due to the scheduling this year means after the first two weeks air but before the last five), subscribe for one month, and watch everything I've missed from HBO over the last year plus Game of Thrones. (I'm really interested in Westworld and Big Little Lies). It's a lot of TV for $15 and cancelling is very easy. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to figure this out the first time I did it (when I qualified for a free month as a new subscriber.)

Might be worth checking to see if Showtime has a similar arrangement, if you don't think you can watch as much as you want in a week...

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »
This is Us

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:25 PM »
Finished the final season of Bloodline. Very VERy good acting.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »
Just started in on American Crime on Netflix. First 2 episodes were amazing, I'm surprised this is network TV. Life is relentless, dirty, ugly, complicated. This show portrays all of this quite well without moralizing or romanticizing. So far very few misteps, in acting-although the race exchange near the end of ep 2 felt forced.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:36:17 PM by Johnez »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
Finished House of Cards last night.  Found this season somewhat hard to follow, and I don't really understand why Frank did what he did at the end (no spoilers) but still fantastic television. 

I'll check out the library for Billions, but I'm not a fan of the "sign up for free and then cancel after the free month" shit, that's two calls to the cable company and the associated annoyance, plus the chance that we'll decide we'll like having it and then the cost blows the $30 I'd have paid just to watch the show out of the water. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Hey, people with taste. Black Sails. Good? Worth watching? Enjoy?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
Hey, people with taste. Black Sails. Good? Worth watching? Enjoy?

We saw the first season and half of season 2.  Then we got derailed, but we just started rewatching so we can finish it off.

DH and I checked it out thinking we were going to get enjoyable trash. Instead, it's like enjoyable trash crossed with super complex pirate politics!  Toby Stephens is amazing! (I mean, we knew that going in, but he seriously riveting in this show).  And what's fun about it is that it is a large cast, and nearly all of the characters are really smart, complicated, screwed up, and working their own angles.  Hope the rest of the series holds up to what we saw.

jaykim0505

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2017, 12:12:22 AM »
If you don't mind watching great tv-series that came out long time ago, i recommend LOST

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2017, 03:21:11 AM »
I recently watched the first season of Fortitude and it was good.

I'm on season 3 of Justified on Amazon Prime and my wife and I enjoyed the first 3 seasons of Bosch on Amazon as well.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:59 AM »
Peaky Blinders is a great series.  Brummie gangsters set in the inter-war period in England.  Cillian Murphy is outstanding.

The same guy behind it also just teamed up with Tom Hardy and made "Taboo"    Hardy is his usual bonkers self in it.  It is perhaps not so great plot wise but man oh man, is it amazing to look at.

The Expanse is a pretty decent sci-fi series and you can read all the books as well.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »
Just an update, Billions has been excellent (have watched 9 of the 12 episodes in season 1) and my library did have it so watching for free :)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2017, 09:07:17 AM »
I recently watched the first season of Fortitude and it was good.

I'm on season 3 of Justified on Amazon Prime and my wife and I enjoyed the first 3 seasons of Bosch on Amazon as well.

Justified!! I love that show.

Another one
I was emotionally attached to, and that had a great series arc, is The Shield. It is in my top 5 favorites.. Both star Walton Groggins, a very talented actor.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:11:10 AM by iris lily »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
Just an update, Billions has been excellent (have watched 9 of the 12 episodes in season 1) and my library did have it so watching for free :)

The subject matter doesn't grab me, but I have a serious Damian Lewis 'situation', so I'm wavering....

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »

The subject matter doesn't grab me, but I have a serious Damian Lewis 'situation', so I'm wavering....

The situation doesn't interest my wife much and she's enjoying it.  Plus lots of Damian Lewis in a bathing suit, etc, doesn't hurt it for her.  Malin Akerman showing some assets doesn't hurt it for me :)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2017, 06:36:18 AM »
I'm watching the latest season of "Orange is the New Black" and some of the prison violence just seems a bit too gratuitous for my taste and perhaps a poor substitute for what should be better plot development. Overall it's still a good show.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2017, 07:16:38 AM »
I'm on a cosy British mysteries kick, both in my reading and on TV. So I'm watching Father Brown on Netflix. Relaxing fun with a nice sense of good wins out over evil, and a sleuth with brains and an admirable character. Father Brown is not a flawed anti-hero like some detectives.  (It's not assertively Catholic-ish or religious, but obviously with a Catholic priest as the protagonist, you're going to get some of that.)

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2017, 07:24:09 AM »
I'm on a cosy British mysteries kick, both in my reading and on TV. So I'm watching Father Brown on Netflix. Relaxing fun with a nice sense of good wins out over evil, and a sleuth with brains and an admirable character. Father Brown is not a flawed anti-hero like some detectives.  (It's not assertively Catholic-ish or religious, but obviously with a Catholic priest as the protagonist, you're going to get some of that.)

I adore Father Brown. I'm Catholic and so probably biased, but I thought the religious aspect of the show was very well handled. And like you said, the characters are sweet.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale is unbelievably good.  Hulu. Free 30 day trial.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale is unbelievably good.  Hulu. Free 30 day trial.

Yes I like it too. It's very stark and sometimes a bit too slow and plodding. Some of the actors aren't all that great but Elisabeth Moss is very good.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
Hulu seems to be developing a specialty in older shows to go along with their current offerings...I noticed that Buffy the Vampire Slayer and several other shows of that vintage recently moved there from Netflix.

Two new Hulu finds:

1. Younger--This has been around a few seasons but was never available on any of the streaming services. Sutton Foster, who is an amazing Broadway actress, plays a newly divorced woman in her 40s who decides to pretend that she is in her 20s to get an entry-level job in publishing, which had been her intended career field before early marriage and motherhood. You do have to ignore the fact that while Foster could easily pass for someone in her 30s, the 20s are a bit too far to go...but the comedy is so good, and the characters are so charming, that it is worth it.

2. Worst Cooks in America--this is a terrible title but actually a pretty good show. The premise is that two chefs take a group of people who are genuinely awful cooks and teach them to cook, competing to see who can improve the most during the run of the show. Although there is some good-natured teasing and trash-talking, the tone of the show is overall supportive of the contestants and the chefs genuinely seem to want to see them learn and succeed. Plus, as someone who can cook, I can actually see where people are going wrong and what the chefs are critiquing, whereas with a lot of the food competition shows everyone seems to be debating some very fine points.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
I really enjoy "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. Mainly it's about medieval England, the wars between the Saxons and the Danes, and specifically the role of Uthred of Beadenburgh, I know I spelled it wrong.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2017, 03:10:19 PM »
I really enjoy "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix. Mainly it's about medieval England, the wars between the Saxons and the Danes, and specifically the role of Uthred of Beadenburgh, I know I spelled it wrong.
+1       "I am Uhtred, son of Uhtred.  Destiny is all"

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
I am currently in my annual "Month of HBO" which I sign up for every year when Game of Thrones is running, and then use as an opportunity to catch up on all the other HBO programs of the past year. Highly recommend "Big Little Lies." The overall plot is that you find out in the first episode that a questionable death took place in an affluent California community, and then over the rest of the series (7 episodes) you find out what happened. The real attraction is the acting, as the female-centered cast is really terrific. The plot centers on five women who all have kids in the same first-grade class. Three of the five actresses are Oscar-winners or nominees and the other two are no slouches. HBO programs are available on Amazon Prime after a few years so it should turn up on that service eventually...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
Fleabag.  Great little British series that packs a punch (and is also very funny).  6 episodes, 35 minutes each.  On Amazon Prime.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:12 AM »
I've been binge-watching Death in Paradise, as part of my murder-mystery summer fetish. I thought I wouldn't like it because of the Caribbean setting--but that actually makes it all the more fun. (Yeah, no 1930's English backdrops here.) The main characters change like revolving doors through the seasons, but believe it or not, they're all good, and it works out fine. Fun and flippy, rather formulaic...like reading a beach book, only it's TV--a joint venture between British and French television, set on the fictional island of "Saint Marie"--better known as Guadaloupe. Recommended.

For my science fiction fix, I'm continuing to watch the third seasons of two action-adventure space operas-- Killjoys and Dark Matter. Not sure exactly where either of them are going--but entertaining enough to keep watching. Both get very weird and strange. They don't measure up to The Expanse in terms of character or plot--they are more like TV versions of comic books...just for fun. Recommended, if you don't take them too seriously.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!