Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 708395 times)

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1300 on: October 08, 2020, 07:34:04 AM »
Decidedly not prestige TV, but fun - I've been watching Lucifer (on Netflix) as background. Some seasons are good enough that I take them off background and pay attention.

The reasons that I probably like it:
It scratches that Buffy/Angel itch if you were a fan back in the day. All the characters are approximately the same age as BtVS characters would be grown up so it feels like a natural sort of extension of that supernatural drama without retreading teenage problems.

It is also one of those shows that is filled with actors from other shows I used to enjoy (Six from BSG, Principal Wood from Buffy, Jesus from TrueBlood) and that generates a sort of automatic good will when watching.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1301 on: October 09, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
Decidedly not prestige TV, but fun - I've been watching Lucifer (on Netflix) as background. Some seasons are good enough that I take them off background and pay attention.

It scratches that Buffy/Angel itch if you were a fan back in the day. All the characters are approximately the same age as BtVS characters would be grown up so it feels like a natural sort of extension of that supernatural drama without retreading teenage problems.

It is also one of those shows that is filled with actors from other shows I used to enjoy (Six from BSG, Principal Wood from Buffy, Jesus from TrueBlood) and that generates a sort of automatic good will when watching.

I try, but this show often leaves me a little nauseated when it gets too gross re:women. I have buddies who love it, so I too keep it on as background that I don't mind ignoring.

The female lead is also insufferably bad, and her way overdone microbladed eyebrows drive me bonkers. Her eyebrow person needs to mellow out a bit.

I don't hate the actual Lucifer character, except for the barf-inducing scenes with women, but I'm only in season 1, so maybe this gets better over time?

Overall I don't hate it, but I am interested to see parts of it that allow me to make sense of why so many people love it, because so far in season 1, it's pretty much drivel.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1302 on: October 10, 2020, 11:27:05 AM »

I try, but this show often leaves me a little nauseated when it gets too gross re:women. I have buddies who love it, so I too keep it on as background that I don't mind ignoring.

The female lead is also insufferably bad, and her way overdone microbladed eyebrows drive me bonkers. Her eyebrow person needs to mellow out a bit.

I don't hate the actual Lucifer character, except for the barf-inducing scenes with women, but I'm only in season 1, so maybe this gets better over time?

Overall I don't hate it, but I am interested to see parts of it that allow me to make sense of why so many people love it, because so far in season 1, it's pretty much drivel.

One of the strengths of the show is the secondary characters, and those took awhile to get interesting--Lucifer's brother Amenadiel and sidekick Mazikeen, his psychologist Dr. Linda, Chloe's ex-husband and current colleague Dan, and a couple more who arrive later in the series. I liked it better as it evolved into more of an ensemble show.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1303 on: October 10, 2020, 04:02:22 PM »
I liked The Haunting of Hill House, but the Haunting of Bly Manor is just so incredibly slow.  I want to like it, and it's not unwatchable, but I find myself doing lots of other things (reading the newspaper, washing dishes, laundry) with it on in the background...  Hoping that the final episodes make it worth putting in the time.  Ugh.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1304 on: October 10, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »
I liked The Haunting of Hill House, but the Haunting of Bly Manor is just so incredibly slow.  I want to like it, and it's not unwatchable, but I find myself doing lots of other things (reading the newspaper, washing dishes, laundry) with it on in the background...  Hoping that the final episodes make it worth putting in the time.  Ugh.

Oh do please report back! I love creepy and horror and just saw some ads for this, but appreciate the heads up on it being slow.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1305 on: October 11, 2020, 07:15:37 AM »

We started that last night and liked the first episode (thought the set-up was good). Thanks for the heads up on the slowness.

We got completely engrossed in the Haunting of Hill House so hopefully this new series will pay off at the end.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1306 on: October 11, 2020, 07:16:26 AM »
We’ve been watching “Undone,” an animated series on Amazon Prime. It’s really well done, and not at all what I expected.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1307 on: October 11, 2020, 09:42:57 AM »

One of the strengths of the show is the secondary characters, and those took awhile to get interesting--Lucifer's brother Amenadiel and sidekick Mazikeen, his psychologist Dr. Linda, Chloe's ex-husband and current colleague Dan, and a couple more who arrive later in the series. I liked it better as it evolved into more of an ensemble show.

I agree w/ Noodle - extra characters (and new directions for existing characters like Dr. Linda) improved the show.

I was iffy on the show until the last couple of episodes of Season 1 - mostly because the Lucifer character started to really bug me. I googled and subsequent seasons were described as being much better so I stuck with it. I thought most of season 2 was excellent, thought season 3 suffered from too many episodes (so it went back to background), LOVED Season 4 and now am not sure if I want to start season 5 because I don't want to be disappointed.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1308 on: October 11, 2020, 02:21:33 PM »

We started that last night and liked the first episode (thought the set-up was good). Thanks for the heads up on the slowness.

We got completely engrossed in the Haunting of Hill House so hopefully this new series will pay off at the end.

I'm on Episode 7 and really can't recommend it.  It is neither creepy nor horror.  There are little moments of psychological trepidation, but it's mostly just confused people struggling with who they are, what they are trying to escape, and some uncomfortable truths.  It would have been OK as a 2 hour movie, but 9 episodes draws it out waaaaaay too much.  I'm really struggling to finish...  still hoping for a miracle!

There's a glimmer of a supernatural element, but that's about it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 04:43:43 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1309 on: October 11, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »

I'm on Episode 7 and really can't recommend it.  It is neither creepy nor horror.  There are little moments of psychological trepidation, but it's mostly just confused people struggling with who they are, what they are trying to escape, and some uncomfortable truths.  It would have been OK as a 2 hour movie, but 9 episodes draws it out waaaaaay too much.  I'm really struggling to finish...  still hoping for a miracle!

Ah, bummer. Again, thanks for the heads-up.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1310 on: October 11, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »

Episode 8 was the best and can mostly be viewed on its own.  The rest is pretty terrible.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1311 on: October 12, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Finished Away on Netflix.  It was good.

Started The Right Stuff that premiered on Disney+ Friday.  It is awesome.  Only two episodes released so far but we really like that you get to know the astronauts much more deeply than was possible in a feature film.  We are looking forward to this, and waiting with excitement for the second season of The Mandalorian at the end of the month.

If you like animals the Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom on Disney+ is another great series.  We have enjoyed it a lot. 

Finally Becoming, produced by LeBron James and others also on Disney+ has been a welcome surprise.  There is one episode we did not like but other than that have been happy with it.  Have two more left to finish it out.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1312 on: October 15, 2020, 12:16:32 AM »
Finished Away on Netflix.  It was good.

Away was fine.  Not great, very slow, but managed to get it done satisfactorily. 

I'm getting stressed that Hollywood is running low on material.  Sure, there's what they are holding back in order to make their return on investment, but is there enough material still 'out there' or are we going in to a pathetic season of crap that would never otherwise be released?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1313 on: October 16, 2020, 09:18:39 AM »
Been going thru the Endeavour series about young Inspector Morse. Amazon Prime Video.
Completed all 7 seasons last night.
Started on Schitt's Creek.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: October 16, 2020, 10:29:08 AM »

Episode 8 was the best and can mostly be viewed on its own.  The rest is pretty terrible.

It's slow, but we just finished episode 5 and really enjoyed it.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1315 on: October 16, 2020, 10:52:52 AM »

It's slow, but we just finished episode 5 and really enjoyed it.

Interested to hear your feelings if you get through it.  I might have set my hopes too high since I really liked Hill House.  The characters in that first season and the creepy / horror elements were right up my alley.  I wanted to like Bly Manor, especially being set in England, but I couldn't get in to it and started disliking the clueless, helpless characters.  And it just kept dragging on and on. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1316 on: October 16, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
The documentary film on Hulu, made by Bing Liu is called, "Minding the Gap." The film is about how skateboarding became both an escape valve and a kind of therapy for disadvantaged teenagers in the rust belt city of Rockford, Illinois.  But the film goes beyond the skateboarding, and delves into the emotional lives of these kids over the course of about five years as they become adults and make lifechanging decisions. The filmmaker, also one of the teens, tackles the issues of fatherhood, domestic violence, divorce, depression, race, and crime in this gritty and honest self-portrait.

Also, the emotional turmoil is broken up by fast paced skateboarding scenes, as if you were on the skateboard. It feels like you're racing down steps, concrete barriers, hand rails, and other unlikely surfaces.

The film pulled me in and I couldn't stop watching it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1317 on: October 18, 2020, 06:56:44 PM »
Anyone watching Utopia??

I thought "The Boys" was brutal, but it's like petting kittens compared to Utopia. Great characters though, the kids in it are particularly good, and I typically don't like kid characters in TV shows.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1318 on: October 18, 2020, 08:56:20 PM »
Anyone watching Utopia??

I thought "The Boys" was brutal, but it's like petting kittens compared to Utopia. Great characters though, the kids in it are particularly good, and I typically don't like kid characters in TV shows.

Definitely enjoyed Utopia.  It's different, but keeps you watching and guessing what will happen.  I mean, it's totally ridiculous, but no complaints even with the conclusion.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1319 on: October 19, 2020, 06:30:31 AM »
Anyone watching Utopia??

Definitely enjoyed Utopia.  It's different, but keeps you watching and guessing what will happen.  I mean, it's totally ridiculous, but no complaints even with the conclusion.

Same, I found it so pleasant to watch a show where nothing was off the table, so it was a lot harder to predict each step along the way because, yeah, that character might die, or might be evil, or might be crazy, who knows.

It reminded me of Dirk Gently, which I also adored, but obviously much, much darker.

Apparently there's a UK version, I'm trying to figure out where to stream it.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1320 on: October 22, 2020, 06:18:00 AM »
Anyone watching Utopia??

Same, I found it so pleasant to watch a show where nothing was off the table, so it was a lot harder to predict each step along the way because, yeah, that character might die, or might be evil, or might be crazy, who knows.

It reminded me of Dirk Gently, which I also adored, but obviously much, much darker.

I started Utopia recently and have been unable to stop.

I need to get back to Dirk Gently. I loved the books (anything by Douglas Adams), and I enjoyed the show when I was able to watch it, but having to watch at specific times every week is such a hassle.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1321 on: October 22, 2020, 06:41:39 AM »
Anyone watching Utopia??

I need to get back to Dirk Gently. I loved the books (anything by Douglas Adams), and I enjoyed the show when I was able to watch it, but having to watch at specific times every week is such a hassle.

?? Isn't Dirk Gently on Netflix??

Why do you have to watch it at a certain time?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1322 on: October 22, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
Anyone watching Utopia??

?? Isn't Dirk Gently on Netflix??

Why do you have to watch it at a certain time?

It may be now. I watched season 1 when it was airing weekly on BBC America.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1323 on: October 27, 2020, 07:49:32 AM »
The Queen’s Gambit just dropped on Netflix last week. I am calling it now: it is the best dramatic production on television for 2020.

Strong, smart, but flawed female lead beautifully acted. Script that does not fall into the usual tropes ( orphaned girl finding her way in life and the usual does NOT happen to her.) Sets that are astonishing, and almost distracting, in their perfection. Stylish period clothing. Beautiful cinematography. Perfect scoring.

A first class production all the way.

It is an adaptation of one of my all time favorite novels. Walter Tevis wrote popular novels that lend themselves to film easily.He wrote The Color of Money and The Hustler, among others.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:51:08 AM by iris lily »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1324 on: October 27, 2020, 08:05:31 AM »
+1. Really enjoying every minute of The Queen’s Gambit.  Currently on the third episode.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1325 on: October 28, 2020, 05:33:56 AM »
+1. Really enjoying every minute of The Queen’s Gambit.  Currently on the third episode.

It's beautiful to watch. The styling is phenomenal.

Also
Spoiler: show
A show with an intelligent, attractive female lead and it doesn't revolve around a major love plot!!! I kept waiting to see who she was supposed to fall in love with, and when it became clear that it wasn't going to happen, I was fucking delighted!

The scene where all the guys come together to help her? Ugh, so good.

On another note of not so good twists in TV, I'm on season 4 of Mr. Robot, and I'm agitated.

Warning, spoiler contains very sensitive subject matter
Spoiler: show

Can writers just fucking cool it with the child sexual assault plots being exploited for cheesy entertainment??

I'm lookin' at you too Doom Patrol! Enough of this. Either handle it delicately or don't fucking touch it, and for the love of fuck, stop giving these victims deranged multiple personalities as a result of their trauma. That's not what fucking happens, and if they want to have a plot of childhood trauma leading to split personalities, fine, but there are myriad traumas to choose from. Have some god damn originality for once.

I actually initially appreciated Mr. Robot for having Elliot's childhood trauma be that his dad pushed him out a window and not that he was sexually assaulted. I thought it was refreshing, but no, they had to go bait and switch and bring it back to the old inaccurate, offensive, and entirely unoriginal trope. And for no reason! The big reveal had no impact on the plot whatsoever. It was a drawn out, special episode, with no purpose but to be all melodramatic about it.

Do they not realize the stats of how many people experience this, and they're basically guaranteed to have MANY audience members who have been victims? How can they be so cavalier about such a sensitive subject that so many people experience?

Just...do better guys. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 06:00:44 AM by Malcat »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1326 on: November 01, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »

It's beautiful to watch. The styling is phenomenal.

I gave up on Mr. Robot, but I was also watching it with family members coming and going.  NSFF (not safe for family)!  Then I was spoiled about the twist and really gave up on it.

If you enjoyed The Queen's Gambit and want to know more about the actual games, there's this on YouTube...  really amazing what is available!  The show also pays a tribute to Iepe Rubingh at the conclusion, who was a very curious individual...

Lots of rabbit holes for a person to chase down :)  I wonder if the next season will be Evan's Gambit?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 05:16:51 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1327 on: November 01, 2020, 02:33:57 PM »
Currently watching the second season of Alphas, which is an older SyFy series about a motley team of people with superpowers assisting law enforcement. It is not as goofy as Eureka or Warehouse 13, but it is quite warm-hearted in terms of the relationships among the team, and stars the great David Strathairn as the team leader. Also just realized that it included one of Mahershala Ali's early television roles (as a supporting character) before he made the jump to movies. Season 1 is on Amazon Prime.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1328 on: November 02, 2020, 06:37:00 AM »
We have watched the first 8 episodes of Schitts Creek. Does it like, get funny eventually or should we bail if we're not digging it by now? It got such good reviews, and I know some shows take a while to get going, but I can't remember a single line of dialogue so far that's stuck with me. The writing just seems so bland.

And I'm re-watching New Girl with the family (for obvious reasons).  Our teenager is digging it and wants to binge ahead of our pace.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: November 02, 2020, 06:57:04 AM »
We have watched the first 8 episodes of Schitts Creek. Does it like, get funny eventually or should we bail if we're not digging it by now? It got such good reviews, and I know some shows take a while to get going, but I can't remember a single line of dialogue so far that's stuck with me. The writing just seems so bland.

And I'm re-watching New Girl with the family (for obvious reasons).  Our teenager is digging it and wants to binge ahead of our pace.

We just finished season 1. It was funny, but not funny enough to keep going. We’re gonna bail. We might come back to it later if we’re hard up for entertainment.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1330 on: November 02, 2020, 07:30:32 AM »

We just finished season 1. It was funny, but not funny enough to keep going. We’re gonna bail. We might come back to it later if we’re hard up for entertainment.

I felt the same, but only made it through 3 episodes.  I went in with low expectations and it was pretty much exactly what I expected.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1331 on: November 02, 2020, 09:45:18 AM »
We did not really start digging Schitt's Creek until season 2.  But it is the kind of comedy that is not normally our thing, so our eventual love of it surprised even us.  We actively disliked it at first.  I could see it simply not working at all for some people.

ETA: Nick mentions New Girl, which my sisters just love and they binge watched several seasons while all three of us were on a 'sister's vacation' together.  I thought it was cute enough to keep watching without much complaint, and wondered if my husband would like it and tried it on him when I got home.  He hung on grimly for a dozen episodes and was like, "NO MORE".  He hated everyone on that show.

Comedy is pretty specific to individual taste, I think. Far more than drama.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:49:10 AM by wenchsenior »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1332 on: November 03, 2020, 08:09:58 AM »

I felt the same, but only made it through 3 episodes.  I went in with low expectations and it was pretty much exactly what I expected.

I think of Shitts  Creek the same wayI think of Absolutely Fabulous: it is ridiculous, stupid, over the top, unsubtle, overdone.

But also funny and silly. And Shitt’s Creek is sweeter than AbFab in their family relationships.

Keep in mind that my all time heroine is Patsy from AbFam. how I would love to have legs up to my neck, be able to wear anything and look like a dream, and drink my breakfast while living above an Odd Bins.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:13:18 PM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1333 on: November 04, 2020, 10:34:25 AM »
We did not really start digging Schitt's Creek until season 2.  But it is the kind of comedy that is not normally our thing, so our eventual love of it surprised even us.  We actively disliked it at first.  I could see it simply not working at all for some people.

ETA: Nick mentions New Girl, which my sisters just love and they binge watched several seasons while all three of us were on a 'sister's vacation' together.  I thought it was cute enough to keep watching without much complaint, and wondered if my husband would like it and tried it on him when I got home.  He hung on grimly for a dozen episodes and was like, "NO MORE".  He hated everyone on that show.

I can only do New Girl in smaller doses, and I really love some of the characters and the dynamics.

But...I can't stand Nick Miller. Cannot stand him.

No offense @Nick_Miller

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1334 on: November 04, 2020, 11:19:17 AM »

yes. it's a winner so far.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1335 on: November 04, 2020, 11:23:12 AM »

I think of Shitts  Creek the same wayI think of Absolutely Fabulous: it is ridiculous, stupid, over the top, unsubtle, overdone.

But also funny and silly. And Shitt’s Creek is sweeter than AbFab in their family relationships.

Keep in mind that my all time heroine is Patsy from AbFam. how I would love to have legs up to my neck, be able to wear anything and look like a dream, and drink my breakfast while living above an Odd Bins.

Right, cheers, thanks a lot. (Patsy is the best.)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1336 on: November 04, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »

:Patsy gesturing with disgust to the mass of nicotine patches covering her: THEY'RE ALL DEAD NOW!!!!

Can't believe I remember that quote.  Haven't seen the show in 20 years at least.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1337 on: November 04, 2020, 12:51:42 PM »

I can only do New Girl in smaller doses, and I really love some of the characters and the dynamics.

But...I can't stand Nick Miller. Cannot stand him.

No offense @Nick_Miller

How could I possibly take offense? No part of this conversation is making me wanna boil over with rage!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1338 on: November 06, 2020, 07:42:20 AM »

we finished it last night. it was pretty good but not great. i kinda wanted more from the ending but overall i recommend it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1339 on: November 08, 2020, 07:06:28 AM »
FORTITUDE!  I thought this was a vampire series so avoided watching it.  It's fantastic!  (no vampires so far anyway)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1340 on: November 08, 2020, 07:24:37 AM »
I am addicted to “Shtisel” on Netflix. It has 2 seasons. It  has English subtitles from the original Hebrew.  It is about an ultra orthodox Jewish family in Israel and their trials and tribulations about love and marriage and family relationships.

It’s my favorite kind of show,  a family drama that takes place in a culture new to me. It’s very nicely done with characters I immediately develop empathy with. I love the show!

And throughout so much of it I have to pause it and consult Mr. Google for cultural references such as:

1. What is the deal with these men who study TORAH all day and do not earn a living for their family?

2. Why do men carry these plastic bags around?

3. Israeli laws and practices with abortion

4. Why is the grandmother a different actress  in season two?

And etc.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #1341 on: November 08, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »

we finished it last night. it was pretty good but not great. i kinda wanted more from the ending but overall i recommend it.
To each their own. The Queen's Gambit is one of the best mini-series I've seen in a long time. I thought it was great!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:23:26 PM by CoffeeR »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1342 on: November 09, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »

:Patsy gesturing with disgust to the mass of nicotine patches covering her: THEY'RE ALL DEAD NOW!!!!

Can't believe I remember that quote.  Haven't seen the show in 20 years at least.

This is strange to me.  I absoluately love AbFab.  Have seen every episode multiple times.  However, I just did not love Schitt's Creek.  I watched the first 3 episodes and it just seemed like your usual sitcom, which I'm not into.  If it became absurdist and crazy like Abfab I'd be really into it though.  Maybe I should keep watching to see if it becomes funny?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1343 on: November 09, 2020, 06:23:13 AM »

This is strange to me.  I absoluately love AbFab.  Have seen every episode multiple times.  However, I just did not love Schitt's Creek.  I watched the first 3 episodes and it just seemed like your usual sitcom, which I'm not into.  If it became absurdist and crazy like Abfab I'd be really into it though.  Maybe I should keep watching to see if it becomes funny?

Yes, the first season is lame and I actively disliked all of the characters. I'm not sure when they started growing on me, but it's very clear that the writers did a huge about face at some point and decided to make everyone lovable-absurd instead of unlikable-obnoxious.

Out of seemingly nowhere, the characters all transition to being a pleasure to watch where they were once insufferable.

I think that's maybe the point of the plot? That they become more loving and more lovable as they go through challenges together? I don't know if it was always the intention of the writers, or if they pivoted to make it less annoying, but it works.

By the end, it's downright tear jerking, heart warming shit.
Even my DH who HATED it at the beginning and didn't watch any of the mid seasons, got sucked into the last few episodes and was watching it over my shoulder while I was cooking.

The turning point for me was the introduction of David's love interest, who is probably one of the most earnest and loveliest characters on TV. Their love story kind of takes over and completely alters the tone of the show.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1344 on: November 09, 2020, 10:30:30 AM »

Well I can see that, I would just say if you’re going to try it again do not take any of these characters seriously. Do not look at them as sitcom characters trying to play real life characters.

All of the Rose family members are absurd.

Stevie is “real”  Tho, as is David.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1345 on: November 10, 2020, 07:51:26 PM »
Don’t remember where the recommendation came from, but Community has been a fun find.

Holy cow, in season 2 episode 16, Vice President (at that time) Joe Biden* comes to Greendale Community College.  On his way, traveling with secret service, he wakes up from a nap and says, 'Hm, I just had a dream that I was a regular President'.

* Well, it wasn't actually Joe Biden, just the 'back of his head'.  But it's still awfully ironic :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1346 on: November 10, 2020, 08:14:50 PM »
Don’t remember where the recommendation came from, but Community has been a fun find.

Holy cow, in season 2 episode 16, Vice President (at that time) Joe Biden* comes to Greendale Community College.  On his way, traveling with secret service, he wakes up from a nap and says, 'Hm, I just had a dream that I was a regular President'.

* Well, it wasn't actually Joe Biden, just the 'back of his head'.  But it's still awfully ironic :)

Love that show.

And now I want to rewatch Parks and Recreation (two Joe Biden cameos).

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1347 on: November 11, 2020, 07:07:31 AM »

To each their own. The Queen's Gambit is one of the best mini-series I've seen in a long time. I thought it was great!

Another vote for The Queen's Gambit - really great to look at, even if the story line was a little predictable.  The only real knock I have is the odd casting of the the little kid from Love Actually.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1348 on: November 11, 2020, 09:50:42 AM »

Another vote for The Queen's Gambit - really great to look at, even if the story line was a little predictable.  The only real knock I have is the odd casting of the the little kid from Love Actually.

Really? I actually loved him. I thought he was a perfect chess sex symbol.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1349 on: November 11, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »

Really? I actually loved him. I thought he was a perfect chess sex symbol.

it was sort of a disney ending. i figured a chess show would have something more convoluted. i still recommend it though.