Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 44308 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
I really liked using my Amazon Prime for The Expanse. I tried catching up with On Demand on the SyFy channel, but the commercials just killed the story--it's complex, and constantly being interrupted by commercials made it almost impossible to follow. Also, when I had to pause the On Demand to take the dog out, it would then re-start the episode from the beginning, and not let me fast forward to where I needed to be. I hated like crazy to pay for it, but it was well-worth the money. I hadn't thought about trying the library.

DreamFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #401 on: May 29, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »
For you Rosanne fans out there, I've got bad news for you.  It's been canceled.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2018, 05:10:40 AM »
Didn't watch the original or the reboot.  No great loss.
Retired 15 June 2018

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
Didn't watch the original or the reboot.  No great loss.

Yeah, bleahh, who cares.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
Just signed up for a free month of Hulu and started watching Legion - wow, first episode was amazing.  Hope they can keep up this level for the whole series.  After Legion I've got The Handmaid's Tale, Atlanta and Taboo lined up.  I love free stuff!
Frugalite in training.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
Legion was a strange one.  It kept wavering between "THE BEST THING I'VE EVER WATCHED" and "Meh." for me.  I'd generally recommend it though.  Hands down the best superhero show on TV.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
Legion was a little too surreal for me, but I can see why some people would love it. It is definitely very different from the other superhero shows out there!

You are coming into The Handmaid's Tale at a good time. The first half of the new season was really hard to take, but there have been some extremely interesting plot developments in the last couple of episodes.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: May 30, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
Legion was a little too surreal for me, but I can see why some people would love it. It is definitely very different from the other superhero shows out there!

You are coming into The Handmaid's Tale at a good time. The first half of the new season was really hard to take, but there have been some extremely interesting plot developments in the last couple of episodes.

Hannibal was one of my favorite TV shows in recent memory, so Legion fits right in my wheelhouse (so far).  Love the surreal stuff. 

Re: Handmaid's Tale - one side benefit of the low information diet I've been on after discovering MMM:  I don't really know anything about it other than it has one of my favorite actresses and it's based on an Atwood novel set in a dystopian future.  I love being able to go into shows like this 'cold' and experiencing with without any kind of built up expectation or bias. 
Frugalite in training.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #408 on: May 30, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »

Hannibal was one of my favorite TV shows in recent memory, so Legion fits right in my wheelhouse (so far).  Love the surreal stuff. 

Re: Handmaid's Tale - one side benefit of the low information diet I've been on after discovering MMM:  I don't really know anything about it other than it has one of my favorite actresses and it's based on an Atwood novel set in a dystopian future.  I love being able to go into shows like this 'cold' and experiencing with without any kind of built up expectation or bias.

I dunno . . . it's kinda invaluable to be braced for the repeated punches to the gut that Handmaid's Tale likes to dole out.  :P

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: June 01, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
Some other good shows on Hulu are:

The Strain
Fixer*Upper
Fear the Walking Dead
Chance
Homeland - you can watch the first several seasons without Showtime
Shut Eye
Law and Order - The Menendez Brothers

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: June 03, 2018, 11:54:11 PM »

Finished Legion and loved it.  The acting from the lead was just phenomenal.  Probably the best acting I've seen on a series since I Eva Green in Penny Dreadful.  Over the top?  Yes.  But with full commitment and a lot of intelligence. 
Frugalite in training.

HiddenSp0t

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #411 on: June 08, 2018, 03:25:14 AM »
Homeland
Vikings
Suits
Rick and Morty
Handmaid's tale
Esp I love the last one. For me it was a great finding. I don't miss any episode on Hulu, it's good that I also got proxy to get access to it (stupid restrictions). I hope there will be a happy ending.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:33:33 AM by HiddenSp0t »

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #412 on: June 08, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
Finished Legion and loved it.  The acting from the lead was just phenomenal.  Probably the best acting I've seen on a series since I Eva Green in Penny Dreadful.  Over the top?  Yes.  But with full commitment and a lot of intelligence.

I will be interested in what you think of the acting in The Handmaid's Tale! I think it's terrific, but especially with Elisabeth Moss it's very, very subtle because of all the limits on what women are allowed to say and do in their society--so the other end of the spectrum from Legion. :)

One thing they often do with her character is to use a voiceover to convey her inner monologue because she speaks aloud relatively seldom. I read a really interesting anecdote that the director noticed that her expressions were always perfectly synced up, in very tiny ways, with the voiceover even though they were recorded at totally different times--and she explained to him that she memorized the whole voiceover and ran through it in her head while they were shooting the visual component so that it would all match up.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: June 08, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »

I will be interested in what you think of the acting in The Handmaid's Tale! I think it's terrific, but especially with Elisabeth Moss it's very, very subtle because of all the limits on what women are allowed to say and do in their society--so the other end of the spectrum from Legion. :)

One thing they often do with her character is to use a voiceover to convey her inner monologue because she speaks aloud relatively seldom. I read a really interesting anecdote that the director noticed that her expressions were always perfectly synced up, in very tiny ways, with the voiceover even though they were recorded at totally different times--and she explained to him that she memorized the whole voiceover and ran through it in her head while they were shooting the visual component so that it would all match up.

Got sucked into "Taboo" with Tom Hardy, but that's only got about 3 hours left for me now.  Handmaid's Tale is up next, unless Atlanta manages to get it's hooks into me first :P 

I will say this - based on her work in Mad Men and in Top of the Lake, I think Elisabeth Moss is probably the best actor working right now. 
Frugalite in training.

OurTown

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: June 13, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
A little disappointed in Westworld Season 2.  Re-watching MST3K, the Return!

grandep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #415 on: June 13, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
A little disappointed in Westworld Season 2.  Re-watching MST3K, the Return!

Same. I would love to hear someone give an impassioned defense of why season 2 is as good as or better than season 1, but right now it just feels meh. Although I do like the single story, in-depth, world building episodes they've been doing this season, like the most recent one about Akecheta.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: June 15, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
It was kind of fun to see Rihanna in the 5th Season of Bates Motel. Her acting is reasonably ok. And the season has had some interesting unexpected plot twists that make it fun to watch.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: June 16, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
I enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, although it hadn't really seemed like anything that I would normally like. It was fresh and funny, and yet very, very human. There is quite an assortment of quirky, different kinds of characters--skilled and interesting acting, I thought. The humor is raw, with lots of F words, so this is a show for grown-ups...and probably not for your straight-laced, prim relatives. The show's culture is very 1950's New York City, and the Jewish culture of most of the main characters was interesting to watch.  I liked the wedding scenes and the scene in the synagogue--like a window on a different world--although of course not the main part of the plot. The show concerns the home life and professional life of a homemaker who is thrown into circumstances that make her try to build a career as a stand-up comedienne in the NY clubs.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
I enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, although it hadn't really seemed like anything that I would normally like. It was fresh and funny, and yet very, very human. There is quite an assortment of quirky, different kinds of characters--skilled and interesting acting, I thought. The humor is raw, with lots of F words, so this is a show for grown-ups...and probably not for your straight-laced, prim relatives. The show's culture is very 1950's New York City, and the Jewish culture of most of the main characters was interesting to watch.  I liked the wedding scenes and the scene in the synagogue--like a window on a different world--although of course not the main part of the plot. The show concerns the home life and professional life of a homemaker who is thrown into circumstances that make her try to build a career as a stand-up comedienne in the NY clubs.

I also liked this show and for exactly these reasons.
Frugalite in training.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #419 on: Today at 08:17:27 AM »
Just finished Season 1 of "Happy Valley" on Netflix. Brutal but intriguing.

So psyched because the next season of "Endeavour" starts on PBS this Sunday!