Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 698259 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #400 on: May 30, 2018, 06:18:09 AM »
For you Rosanne fans out there, I've got bad news for you.  It's been canceled.
Didn't watch the original or the reboot.  No great loss.

Yeah, bleahh, who cares.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2018, 09:33:32 AM »
Just signed up for a free month of Hulu and started watching Legion - wow, first episode was amazing.  Hope they can keep up this level for the whole series.  After Legion I've got The Handmaid's Tale, Atlanta and Taboo lined up.  I love free stuff!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:18 AM »
Legion was a strange one.  It kept wavering between "THE BEST THING I'VE EVER WATCHED" and "Meh." for me.  I'd generally recommend it though.  Hands down the best superhero show on TV.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
Legion was a little too surreal for me, but I can see why some people would love it. It is definitely very different from the other superhero shows out there!

You are coming into The Handmaid's Tale at a good time. The first half of the new season was really hard to take, but there have been some extremely interesting plot developments in the last couple of episodes.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
Legion was a little too surreal for me, but I can see why some people would love it. It is definitely very different from the other superhero shows out there!

You are coming into The Handmaid's Tale at a good time. The first half of the new season was really hard to take, but there have been some extremely interesting plot developments in the last couple of episodes.

Hannibal was one of my favorite TV shows in recent memory, so Legion fits right in my wheelhouse (so far).  Love the surreal stuff. 

Re: Handmaid's Tale - one side benefit of the low information diet I've been on after discovering MMM:  I don't really know anything about it other than it has one of my favorite actresses and it's based on an Atwood novel set in a dystopian future.  I love being able to go into shows like this 'cold' and experiencing with without any kind of built up expectation or bias. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »

Hannibal was one of my favorite TV shows in recent memory, so Legion fits right in my wheelhouse (so far).  Love the surreal stuff. 

Re: Handmaid's Tale - one side benefit of the low information diet I've been on after discovering MMM:  I don't really know anything about it other than it has one of my favorite actresses and it's based on an Atwood novel set in a dystopian future.  I love being able to go into shows like this 'cold' and experiencing with without any kind of built up expectation or bias.

I dunno . . . it's kinda invaluable to be braced for the repeated punches to the gut that Handmaid's Tale likes to dole out.  :P

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: June 01, 2018, 06:05:18 PM »
Some other good shows on Hulu are:

The Strain
Fixer*Upper
Fear the Walking Dead
Chance
Homeland - you can watch the first several seasons without Showtime
Shut Eye
Law and Order - The Menendez Brothers

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: June 03, 2018, 11:54:11 PM »

Finished Legion and loved it.  The acting from the lead was just phenomenal.  Probably the best acting I've seen on a series since I Eva Green in Penny Dreadful.  Over the top?  Yes.  But with full commitment and a lot of intelligence. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
Finished Legion and loved it.  The acting from the lead was just phenomenal.  Probably the best acting I've seen on a series since I Eva Green in Penny Dreadful.  Over the top?  Yes.  But with full commitment and a lot of intelligence.

I will be interested in what you think of the acting in The Handmaid's Tale! I think it's terrific, but especially with Elisabeth Moss it's very, very subtle because of all the limits on what women are allowed to say and do in their society--so the other end of the spectrum from Legion. :)

One thing they often do with her character is to use a voiceover to convey her inner monologue because she speaks aloud relatively seldom. I read a really interesting anecdote that the director noticed that her expressions were always perfectly synced up, in very tiny ways, with the voiceover even though they were recorded at totally different times--and she explained to him that she memorized the whole voiceover and ran through it in her head while they were shooting the visual component so that it would all match up.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »

I will be interested in what you think of the acting in The Handmaid's Tale! I think it's terrific, but especially with Elisabeth Moss it's very, very subtle because of all the limits on what women are allowed to say and do in their society--so the other end of the spectrum from Legion. :)

One thing they often do with her character is to use a voiceover to convey her inner monologue because she speaks aloud relatively seldom. I read a really interesting anecdote that the director noticed that her expressions were always perfectly synced up, in very tiny ways, with the voiceover even though they were recorded at totally different times--and she explained to him that she memorized the whole voiceover and ran through it in her head while they were shooting the visual component so that it would all match up.

Got sucked into "Taboo" with Tom Hardy, but that's only got about 3 hours left for me now.  Handmaid's Tale is up next, unless Atlanta manages to get it's hooks into me first :P 

I will say this - based on her work in Mad Men and in Top of the Lake, I think Elisabeth Moss is probably the best actor working right now. 

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
A little disappointed in Westworld Season 2.  Re-watching MST3K, the Return!

grandep

• Stubble
« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »
A little disappointed in Westworld Season 2.  Re-watching MST3K, the Return!

Same. I would love to hear someone give an impassioned defense of why season 2 is as good as or better than season 1, but right now it just feels meh. Although I do like the single story, in-depth, world building episodes they've been doing this season, like the most recent one about Akecheta.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: June 15, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
It was kind of fun to see Rihanna in the 5th Season of Bates Motel. Her acting is reasonably ok. And the season has had some interesting unexpected plot twists that make it fun to watch.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: June 16, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
I enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, although it hadn't really seemed like anything that I would normally like. It was fresh and funny, and yet very, very human. There is quite an assortment of quirky, different kinds of characters--skilled and interesting acting, I thought. The humor is raw, with lots of F words, so this is a show for grown-ups...and probably not for your straight-laced, prim relatives. The show's culture is very 1950's New York City, and the Jewish culture of most of the main characters was interesting to watch.  I liked the wedding scenes and the scene in the synagogue--like a window on a different world--although of course not the main part of the plot. The show concerns the home life and professional life of a homemaker who is thrown into circumstances that make her try to build a career as a stand-up comedienne in the NY clubs.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #414 on: June 16, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
I enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon Prime, although it hadn't really seemed like anything that I would normally like. It was fresh and funny, and yet very, very human. There is quite an assortment of quirky, different kinds of characters--skilled and interesting acting, I thought. The humor is raw, with lots of F words, so this is a show for grown-ups...and probably not for your straight-laced, prim relatives. The show's culture is very 1950's New York City, and the Jewish culture of most of the main characters was interesting to watch.  I liked the wedding scenes and the scene in the synagogue--like a window on a different world--although of course not the main part of the plot. The show concerns the home life and professional life of a homemaker who is thrown into circumstances that make her try to build a career as a stand-up comedienne in the NY clubs.

I also liked this show and for exactly these reasons.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #415 on: June 22, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »
Just finished Season 1 of "Happy Valley" on Netflix. Brutal but intriguing.

So psyched because the next season of "Endeavour" starts on PBS this Sunday!

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #416 on: June 25, 2018, 07:54:52 AM »
Superstore is very funny and good.  Carry on.

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #417 on: June 28, 2018, 01:57:44 AM »
On Netflix:

Safe

Line of Duty

London Spy

The Virgin Queen

Detectorists

Gavin and Stacey

My Next Guest with David Letterman

Jessica Jones

Collateral

Seven Seconds

Marcella

The Crown

Wallander

Last Tango in Halifax

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: June 28, 2018, 08:06:15 AM »
Lost was great.  One of those shows that makes me jealous of people who still get to experience it for the first time.

We just finished up season 3.  Wow!  So many twists and turns. It is very exciting!

We finished up Lost a while ago and it was amazing! 

Right now we are gripped by The Handmaid's Tale.  Each episode of season 2 has been better than the previous.

On my own I am watching Reverie, which is like a sci-fi thriller, government conspiracy-type.  I'm enjoying it, plus it has that guy from Heroes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #419 on: June 30, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/amazon-the-expanse-season-4-1202818147/amp/  There's hope yet.  Hopefully Amazon comes through.  Season 3 has been fantastic.

Agreed.

At the risk of being hyperbolic, Season 3 of The Expanse has been better than the last three Star Trek films, all the recent Star Wars films and Guardians of the Galaxy films rolled into one.

ha

I just read that The Expanse got picked up by Amazon.  Good news.

Hurray! I just caught up watching the first 7 episodes of season 3, and there isn't a doubt in my mind that this is the best science fiction to come onto the screen in a long time. It's head and shoulders above everything else that's been out there in the past few years.

What are the different options for watching "The Expanse" ?
The best way is watching it on Amazon Prime (first two seasons are included with Prime).  You can also watch it on Syfy on basic cable if you hate yourself.  Netflix has the international distribution rights in some areas (not the US).

So, just a thank you for alerting me to this series.  The Expanse is great TV.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: July 02, 2018, 05:32:06 AM »
Watched "A Very English Scandal" on my Amazon Prime--a three-part mini-series starring Hugh Grant as Jeremy Thorpe, the English member of parliament in the 1960s who had a homosexual affair that came back to bite him in the toe later. Not my usual cup of tea (no English pun intended), but got such a good review in the NY Times that I decided to take a look. Really entertaining mix of drama and comedy, with fantastic performances, especially by Hugh Grant (with brown eyes--contact lenses, I guess) and Ben Whishaw. Not for kids or family viewing, but well worth checking it out. Unusual and high quality. For those who remember Hugh Grant in romantic-comedies...well, this is a new Hugh. Boy, can that guy act.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: July 02, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
Watched "A Very English Scandal" on my Amazon Prime--a three-part mini-series starring Hugh Grant as Jeremy Thorpe, the English member of parliament in the 1960s who had a homosexual affair that came back to bite him in the toe later. Not my usual cup of tea (no English pun intended), but got such a good review in the NY Times that I decided to take a look. Really entertaining mix of drama and comedy, with fantastic performances, especially by Hugh Grant (with brown eyes--contact lenses, I guess) and Ben Whishaw. Not for kids or family viewing, but well worth checking it out. Unusual and high quality. For those who remember Hugh Grant in romantic-comedies...well, this is a new Hugh. Boy, can that guy act.

Agreed re: Hugh Grant.  He reminds me a bit of Robin Williams in this respect.  Tons of natural charisma and can do comedy very well, but is flat out amazing when doing dramatic roles.  And both got better as they aged.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: July 06, 2018, 07:30:04 AM »
I've been rewatching "Eureka" which is now streaming on Amazon Prime. It originally aired on Syfy and is about the people living in a secret government-funded town in Oregon that focuses on science and technology research (think Los Alamos, but more positive). It's very light and warm-hearted, so a different tone than a lot of the SF that is airing now. The show is 12 years old, so it's interesting to see how it's aged. Other than smartphones and the main character's smart house, most of the science and technology are still futuristic enough that the show works. There were a couple of plot lines relating to women that seem cringey now (although overall the show does very well with strong and well-rounded female characters) but the main thing that I think would be handled differently now is that one character has a son with high-functioning autism. Attitudes around neurodiversity have changed enough that the way that is handled feels somewhat dated.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #423 on: July 06, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
Just finished season 5 of The Great British Baking Show. I’m not a huge fan of “reality” or competition shows, but I always enjoy this one.

Season 2 of Luke Cage was excellent.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: July 06, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »

Superstore is hilarious! I really need to find more comedies in that vein.

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #425 on: July 06, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »
Season 2 of Luke Cage was excellent.

So far, it's the only second session of the Marvel/Netflix shows to be better than the original.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: July 08, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »
Westworld is amazing

Yes, I saw the 1st season a few months ago and it was really really good.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: July 09, 2018, 06:42:00 AM »
Visited the Parental Units and watched Netflix's new 'Lost in Space.' It's fun. A little bit repetitive, but fun. I'm crushing on both Toby Stephens and Ignacio Serricchio.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #428 on: July 09, 2018, 01:23:20 PM »
I am watching Firefly (finally) and...although I enjoy some of the dialogue, I keep thinking, "People went nuts for THIS?" I'm very disappointed.

But I'll finish out the season.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: July 09, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
No, you won't. :(

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #430 on: July 09, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »

Lol.

I always thought it was a good show but I kind of agree. I think it's post-mortem greatness was overblown. Also consider it's now a 15 year old show. Anyone who watched it 15 years ago remembers how much they liked it compared to other 2003 shows.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #431 on: July 09, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »

Lol.

I always thought it was a good show but I kind of agree. I think it's post-mortem greatness was overblown. Also consider it's now a 15 year old show. Anyone who watched it 15 years ago remembers how much they liked it compared to other 2003 shows.

lol to @ketchup , yeah I know there are only like 14 episodes. Hell it's just like a Netflix season.

And @Dabnasty yeah there's been a lot of quality shows since then, and I don't think it aged very well. I do like a few of the characters, especially the Captain, Kailey, Irana, etc., but the whole revolvers in space thing is just not doing it for me from a logical standpoint. Where are the Chinese people? Why is the technology 500 years from now like 700 years old? I am lost.

But we just got to the first episode featuring a young Christina Hendricks. Holy god.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: July 09, 2018, 04:46:39 PM »

Lol.

lol to @ketchup , yeah I know there are only like 14 episodes. Hell it's just like a Netflix season.

And @Dabnasty yeah there's been a lot of quality shows since then, and I don't think it aged very well. I do like a few of the characters, especially the Captain, Kailey, Irana, etc., but the whole revolvers in space thing is just not doing it for me from a logical standpoint. Where are the Chinese people? Why is the technology 500 years from now like 700 years old? I am lost.

But we just got to the first episode featuring a young Christina Hendricks. Holy god.

It had some good ideas, but there were several instances of cheesy execution letting it down. 

And I liked the cowboys in space - I think it was supposed to signify that even the in the future, most people are poor (ie, can't afford nice space-vehicles or land-vehicles).

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #433 on: July 09, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
I watched Prime’s 3part series about
Jeremy Thorpe’s sex scandal in Britain decades ago.

It was decent. Lead characters High Geant and his paramour were excellent.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: July 09, 2018, 06:48:03 PM »
@iris lily does Ben Whishaw play Hugh's boyfriend? I love him.

We went away over the 4th and it was so hot I mostly stayed indoors (in between dips in the pool) watching The Handmaid's Tale S2. Yikes. It's beautifully and brutally done.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: July 09, 2018, 09:12:17 PM »

Lol.

It had some good ideas, but there were several instances of cheesy execution letting it down. 

And I liked the cowboys in space - I think it was supposed to signify that even the in the future, most people are poor (ie, can't afford nice space-vehicles or land-vehicles).

If you liked Firefly, try Killjoys. Similar idea (frontier in space, small crew in a spaceship having adventures, mysterious conspiracy). I really enjoyed it. For some reason it is not streaming on any of the major platforms, though, so you might have to work a little harder to get hold of it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: July 09, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »

We went away over the 4th and it was so hot I mostly stayed indoors (in between dips in the pool) watching The Handmaid's Tale S2. Yikes. It's beautifully and brutally done.
yes, Whishaw is the boyfriend.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: July 10, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »

yes, Whishaw is the boyfriend.

I have such a huge crush on Ben Whishaw it's pathetic. I may have to check that series out for the eye candy.

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #438 on: July 10, 2018, 05:15:25 PM »

To me it is reminiscent of The Office and Parks and Rec, if you find any other than those two I'd be grateful for the heads up.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: July 10, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »

To me it is reminiscent of The Office and Parks and Rec, if you find any other than those two I'd be grateful for the heads up.

In addition to these three shows, I enjoyed 30 Rock. Season 3 had a 3-episode run (“Funcooker”, “The Bubble”, “Apollo, Apollo”) that I keep on reserve for a really shitty day.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: July 10, 2018, 08:29:13 PM »

Brooklyn Nine-Nine is done by the same people as Parks and Rec and has a similar warm feeling to it. The Good Place (also same people) does too, but it has more of a specific concept and a very serialized storyline. One thing about The Good Place...if you like it at all, try to watch at least the whole first season (it's not long). A couple of things that I thought were annoyingly careless writing turned out to have a reason behind them that I liked very much.

I also liked One Day at a Time which is made by Netflix. It's not a workplace comedy, but also has a similar warm feeling of people who honestly like each other and enjoy spending time together.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »

I really liked Community.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: July 11, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »

Community actually had the warm feels too, with the exception of Pierce, and perhaps ending when Troy left. But the first few seasons with all the core group were gold.

Yeah, Community, Office, Parks and Rec....it's almost like NBC knew what it was doing for a very short while.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: July 11, 2018, 08:52:45 AM »

Community is A+ television.

applegrapepie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: July 18, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
My all time favorite is Bojack Horseman followed by Breaking Bad. Right now, I just finished watching Sacred Games.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: July 18, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
Please Feed Phil

Anne with an E

both on Netflix

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #446 on: July 19, 2018, 10:22:37 PM »
BLACKLIST!
Stranger Things
Orange is the New Black
Marveous Ms. Maisel
Bar Rescue

and, right up there with Blacklist:

The Man in the High Castle

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »
Just finished watching the first season of The Good Place on Netflix. Astonishingly good! I had caught a random bit of an episode once on tv and was totally confused about the show. Definitely has to be watched from the beginning to make sense.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2018, 04:56:10 PM »
Just finished watching the first season of The Good Place on Netflix. Astonishingly good! I had caught a random bit of an episode once on tv and was totally confused about the show. Definitely has to be watched from the beginning to make sense.
Yesss! The Good Place is so outrageously good.  Just rewatched the first season with my girlfriend and it's even better on rewatch.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #449 on: July 22, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
Just came across a couple of newer series that are available on Hulu that I have been enjoying.

"Cloak and Dagger" is another Marvel series, this one set in New Orleans. I would say it's darker than Agent Carter or Agents of Shield, but not nearly so dark as the Netflix New York series. The protagonists are teens--a white girl and a black guy--who get powers in the same incident as a kid, and are now looking for justice for their family members who died. The two leads have really nice chemistry together, and it's neat to see a setting that's not New York, Los Angeles, or Toronto/Vancouver pretending to be various places. (The series actually filmed in Louisiana.) Two caveats--the series doesn't really get going until the two kids start working together, although they meet up occasionally earlier, and that's not until about episode six. Also, nobody in the series has any kind of Cajun or even Southern accent. (I assume maybe the young leads couldn't pull it off, and the producers decided it would be less obvious if no one had an accent.) I live close enough to New Orleans, and know enough people from the area, that it weirds me out that even older characters who have supposedly lived in the area their whole lives are accent-free.

"Take Two" is a detective series which reminds me a lot of the old series like Scarecrow and Mrs. King and Remington Steele that you don't really see much any more. A washed-up TV star ends up working with a private detective at his agency. It's very light and fun and Rachel Bilson, who plays the TV star, is charming as heck and manages to be convincing as someone who is simultaneously very sharp and kind of an airhead.