Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 707904 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1200 on: July 16, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Don’t remember where the recommendation came from, but Community has been a fun find.
Streets ahead.

I'm streets behind

This is all gay code.

Not sure if I was the one to suggest Community, but it's my favorite show ever.  Netflix releasing it during the quarantine was my one bright light of happiness. I've slowly binged all six seasons (alas, no movie...yet) and I'm starting over again now.
I see your value now.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1201 on: July 16, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »
Don’t remember where the recommendation came from, but Community has been a fun find.
Streets ahead.

I'm streets behind

This is all gay code.

Not sure if I was the one to suggest Community, but it's my favorite show ever.  Netflix releasing it during the quarantine was my one bright light of happiness. I've slowly binged all six seasons (alas, no movie...yet) and I'm starting over again now.
I see your value now.

lol the pilot, Jeff to Abed. God I love the characters so much. Britta is my spirit animal.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1202 on: July 16, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
Watching Black Books https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262150/

Because Bill Bailey's a bloody genius.
And Tamsin Greig.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1203 on: July 16, 2020, 12:20:59 PM »
My wife and I were completely wrecked by 'Normal People' (on Hulu or CBC Gem for the Canadians) over the week end. Binged in two nights.

Absolutely not the cute lovey-dovey coming of age story we were expecting. Such a wild ride. Amazing acting and cinematography.

Made us want to read the book.
I haven't seen it yet but when I started to read about people watching it I finally picked up the book, which I bought about eight months ago, and read it. So good. I can't wait to watch it sometime. I've only seen a few clips so far. But enough to enjoy this bit, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hko2W7TDHxk

Jimbo

• Stubble
« Reply #1204 on: July 16, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
My wife and I were completely wrecked by 'Normal People' (on Hulu or CBC Gem for the Canadians) over the week end. Binged in two nights.

Absolutely not the cute lovey-dovey coming of age story we were expecting. Such a wild ride. Amazing acting and cinematography.

Made us want to read the book.
I haven't seen it yet but when I started to read about people watching it I finally picked up the book, which I bought about eight months ago, and read it. So good. I can't wait to watch it sometime. I've only seen a few clips so far. But enough to enjoy this bit, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hko2W7TDHxk

Thanks for that! We'll be watching that later. :-)

I wish we had read the book ahead of time. I think we would have been better prepared for this and would have been less affected by the viewing. Anyway, highly recommend, I think you will enjoy it a lot even after reading the book.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1205 on: July 16, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
Streets ahead.

I'm streets behind

This is all gay code.

I see your value now.

lol the pilot, Jeff to Abed. God I love the characters so much. Britta is my spirit animal.
And the finale, Abed to Jeff.

It's my only show I've been hooked on since the pilot aired on live TV (remember live TV?).  It dropped the fall of my first semester at college, so it was very well-timed. 

Being a Community fan during its run was not easy.  It was cancelled twice (three times?), moved to midseason once out of the blue, Dan Harmon fired, Dan Harmon rehired, "October 19", Chevy Chase behind the scenes antics, other cast members leaving, moved to Yahoo Screen of all things for season six (on literally the day the actors' contracts were about to expire), all kinds of insanity.

Tyler durden

• Bristles
« Reply #1206 on: July 17, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
I just got done money heist on Netflix. Loved it.

Anyone watch a Brave New World? Watching first episode now and it seems interesting.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #1207 on: July 17, 2020, 02:48:38 PM »
Finished The Brokenwood Mysteries and really sad because it was just lovely. Another crime/whodunit series, similar in appearance to Midsomer Murders, but set in New Zealand and I adore the cast/characters and it really makes me want to go there (despite the unusually high number of murders in the fictional township). Fun offshoot is that they used a local country singer/songwriter for lots of their transitional music and she's great! But REALLY sad to learn that the main actors (Fern Sutherland and Neill Rea) don't even act any more! Fern immigrated to Canada and isn't in the industry at all, and Neill runs his own agency so still sort of in there, but they were both really good and I really wanted to see more stuff from both of them.

Killjoys. Fun SciFi series.

Finished Bojack Horseman and just gutted it's done.

Tuca and Bertie - same creator as Bojack so the fun animation but so much more optimistic and really do hope they make a second season.

Poriot and Miss Marple - adore them even though I have seen them several times

Rewatching tons of old stuff: working through the complete series of Murder She Wrote and Colombo and ST: Deep Space Nine. Also running through Murdoch Mysteries, Frankie Drake Mysteries.

Have to take breaks on the binging on all that stuff tho as it's become painfully obvious the formulaic nature of these shows. There is no real continuity. They introduce some event/person at the beginning, the plot conflict/issue is then introduced, the person/event that may never have been discussed in any previous episode suddenly becomes IMPORTANT and everything is wrapped up a the end of the episode. No need to really know what happened before or after - each episode is a stand alone and unrelated show and you could watch entire seasons out of order without any real loss of continuity. Rinse/repeat. It's REALLY obvious in the old stuff like MSW but DSN is barely evolved in comparison. I find it interesting when story arcs that weave together plotlines from previous shows started becoming a thing - it's nice.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1208 on: July 17, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »
Pose - so fabulous.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1209 on: July 18, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
Catching up on Penny Dreadful 5 years late...am REALLY enjoying it. Especially the clothes!  They make everyone look so incredibly amazing.  For some reason, even though this show is obviously going to end in misery for the entire cast, I'm not finding it depressing...too removed from reality, I guess, so it still feels like escapism.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1210 on: July 24, 2020, 05:23:19 PM »
I know the first season came out in 2017, but I just watched all three seasons of Dark on Netflix and really enjoyed it.  I also like that I didn't find it until it was finished and I could watch it all at once :)

I am embarrassed that my 6 years of German in HS/college did not prepare me to understand actual German people, lol.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1211 on: July 25, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »
I have been watching "Alias" on Amazon Prime. Somehow I never saw it when it first aired, even though it seems like the kind of thing that would be right up my alley. I'm told that the last seasons weren't as good, but right now I'm still in Season 1 and it's terrific. These folks really know how to do a cliffhanger, well before the age of the bingewatch!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1212 on: July 26, 2020, 11:41:27 AM »
Pose - so fabulous.

I would like to like that because those shows about drag queens and their competitions  are always fun, but the acting was so immature in the first episode that I couldn’t stomach it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1213 on: July 26, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
I’ve binged watched two Netflix shows about love and dating:

Love on the Spectrum is a documentary series shot in Australia. It features young people on the autism spectrum and their quest to find romance. It is really good, and sympathetic to these characters.

Indian Matchmaking It’s another documentary series about an east Indian matchmaker based in Mumbai. She makes matches there but she also flies to the United States to match up clients here. There is a range of likable and not so likable characters, but most of them are pretty likable.

The main matchmaker auntie is nice, I liked her a lot.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #1214 on: July 26, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »
I see your value now.

It's nice to see some love for Community. One of the few shows I can still re-watch after all these years, like The Venture Bros., Psych and Hogan's Heroes.

One of the thing that's been difficult about all this extra idle time and turning to streaming video to kill time is how little TV I actually enjoy anymore, however, there's been some unexpected finds.

Amazon's newer live-action The Tick was fun (especially as an exhausting superhero cultural overload palette cleanser), even if the show never got to tie things up and exit gracefully, though it reminded me why I don't like getting invested in streaming platform hosted shows, given they're almost always heavily serialized and the platforms frequently kill off most series before getting out of the second season. It's why we never bothered watching Bojack Horseman until after the series finale.

Finished Bojack Horseman and just gutted it's done.

Oof. Tell me about it. Just, wow.

It also makes me nervous about having started Upload, which was surprisingly charming, though first season was sufficiently concluded to not be frustrating if I can never go back. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency was a fun, albeit weird watch, too... though, again, cut and dead after two seasons of world-building just as they were hitting stride... but I understand why in this case given who the headlining showrunner was.

I'm not normally a musical kind of guy, but Galavant was quite the hoot once my wife convinced me with this video (caution, a lot of spoilers). It also has bonus points for Psych and Community fans given Lassie and Magnitude are in the cast. POP! POP!

The last unexpected gems were a couple Japanese live-action imports by the same production people: Samurai Cat and Ninja Cat - with movies! Just hands-down bonkers fun, and Samurai Cat's theme song is pretty much the perfect embodiment of how over the top and insanely silly these shows really are. Just do yourself a favor, don't try to watch the versions included by Amazon Prime directly, the versions they have are either the broadcast masters with several minutes of black screens where the commercials would go, or edited down to nearly nothing and both are frustrating to watch. Take advantage of the free Toku (for Samurai Cat) and J-Edge (for the "follow-up" series Ninja Cat) channel trials on Amazon instead, as you'll get the DVD versions and the movies.... plus, it'll let you fall down the rabbit hole of an entirely bizarre sub-genre of Japanese television series about middle-aged, emotionally constipated men who emotionally grow because of cat ownership.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:12:12 PM by Daley »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1215 on: July 26, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »
Pose - so fabulous.

I would like to like that because those shows about drag queens and their competitions  are always fun, but the acting was so immature in the first episode that I couldn’t stomach it.

I disagree.  I really liked the acting - I didn't find it "immature" even though almost all of the lead characters were played by first time actors.

And none of them are drag queens. They're transgender women. The only time there is ever drag in Pose is in the last episode of the last season.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1216 on: July 27, 2020, 05:32:41 AM »
I'm finally watching Game of Thrones. Should I stop before the final season?

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1217 on: July 27, 2020, 10:17:31 AM »
Pose - so fabulous.

I disagree.  I really liked the acting - I didn't find it "immature" even though almost all of the lead characters were played by first time actors.

And none of them are drag queens. They're transgender women. The only time there is ever drag in Pose is in the last episode of the last season.
Oh, OK. Mainly what I know about ball culture is the old documentary Paris is Burning which did have some drag queens. That documentary included the older person, I think she was a drag queen, who kept a dead body in a trunk in her closet for 15 years. It was discovered after she died. Apparently POSE use that real life situation in one of the episodes.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »
My vote is on stopping after season six ends.  It's a little cliffhangery but it would have been a great "and then the show was cancelled after that" ending.  Additionally, the last two episodes of season six are two of my favorite episodes of the entire show.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1219 on: July 27, 2020, 11:00:00 AM »
DERRY GIRLS.

Set in Northern Ireland in the 1990s prior to the ceasefire.  You'd think it'd be some sort of deep dark show about political strife, but it is a hilarious comedy revolving around a group of teenagers.  On Netflix.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1220 on: July 27, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
Pose - so fabulous.

Oh, OK. Mainly what I know about ball culture is the old documentary Paris is Burning which did have some drag queens. That documentary included the older person, I think she was a drag queen, who kept a dead body in a trunk in her closet for 15 years. It was discovered after she died. Apparently POSE use that real life situation in one of the episodes.

Oh yeah -this series is more modern than Paris is Burning and was also written/directed by Janet Mock, who is transgender herself so it has a different perspective.  Yes they used that storyline for one of the women in the series. It's very well done.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1221 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:52 PM »

See it through.

I watched the entire series within the last year and I suspect that the loyal viewers who spent 8 years to reach the conclusion were a lot more emotionally invested in the story and therefore... well, it sounds like you already have an idea of it so I won't say anymore.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: July 27, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »

See it through.

I watched the entire series within the last year and I suspect that the loyal viewers who spent 8 years to reach the conclusion were a lot more emotionally invested in the story and therefore... well, it sounds like you already have an idea of it so I won't say anymore.

It's really difficult for any show that goes on for many years to finish gracefully.

Lost, How I Met Your Mother, and Dexter are all shows that I loved for years, but view mostly negatively now, just because of the ending.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1223 on: July 27, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »

See it through.

It's really difficult for any show that goes on for many years to finish gracefully.

Lost, How I Met Your Mother, and Dexter are all shows that I loved for years, but view mostly negatively now, just because of the ending.

The ending of Dexter made me want to throw things at my TV. So disappointing.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1224 on: July 28, 2020, 03:00:53 AM »

See it through.

Agree.

In general endings seem to disappoint more often than not. I thought Breaking Bad did a great job of it, though.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1225 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »

See it through.

i didn't even finish dexter. i stopped with the trinity killer season. that, to me, would have been the perfect ending.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1226 on: July 28, 2020, 02:04:40 PM »
we just finished season 1 of dead to me. not too bad. i was impressed with christina applegate's acting but i haven't seen her act since married with children.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1227 on: July 29, 2020, 06:35:49 AM »
I'm basically caught up now with Vikings.  Incoming spoilers:

The series was flat out awesome when Ragnar and Floki were in it.  It went a little downhill after that, but still has bright spots.  Ivar's character is interesting, and the battles between the brothers are pretty neat.  Not sure exactly where they're going with Hvitserk going off the rails though (beyond the obvious Lagertha bit).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1228 on: August 01, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »
Streets ahead.

I'm streets behind

This is all gay code.

I see your value now.

It's my only show I've been hooked on since the pilot aired on live TV (remember live TV?).  It dropped the fall of my first semester at college, so it was very well-timed. 

Being a Community fan during its run was not easy.  It was cancelled twice (three times?), moved to midseason once out of the blue, Dan Harmon fired, Dan Harmon rehired, "October 19", Chevy Chase behind the scenes antics, other cast members leaving, moved to Yahoo Screen of all things for season six (on literally the day the actors' contracts were about to expire), all kinds of insanity.

Troy and Abed in the morning...🎶

Love this show.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1229 on: August 03, 2020, 11:37:33 AM »

I'm currently in season two. The story is as good as expected, but watching all of the torture is rough.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1230 on: August 03, 2020, 01:29:39 PM »
Streets ahead.

I'm streets behind

This is all gay code.

I see your value now.

Love this show.

I live for the community reddit. And I have never met a fellow fan in RL who wasn't at least as cool as Leonard or Magnitude, or Vicki (if they are a girl)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1231 on: August 03, 2020, 03:21:46 PM »
Streets ahead.

I'm streets behind

This is all gay code.

I see your value now.

Love this show.

I live for the community reddit. And I have never met a fellow fan in RL who wasn't at least as cool as Leonard or Magnitude, or Vicki (if they are a girl)
Leonard likes this post!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1232 on: August 05, 2020, 04:18:48 PM »

I'm currently in season two. The story is as good as expected, but watching all of the torture is rough.

I recall the early seasons of GOT as being hard going for that reason. I enjoyed the series much more once some of the trodden-upon started to get their own back.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1233 on: August 05, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »

I recall the early seasons of GOT as being hard going for that reason. I enjoyed the series much more once some of the trodden-upon started to get their own back.

Yeah, I got pretty fed up with not only the torture but also the ration of prostitute:non-prostitute women

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1234 on: August 06, 2020, 06:26:50 PM »
It's probably frowned upon by many, but 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is a guilty pleasure.  I took a long hiatus so I've probably missed a season or two, but now watching Season 10 and you can just tell Larry David and everyone involved seem to have a lot of fun making it.  You don't have to watch every episode to enjoy it, which I also like.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1235 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54:46 PM »
I really enjoyed Upload, which Amazon added a couple of months ago. The premise is that in the near future, technology has developed that allows people's consciousness to be captured at the point of death and uploaded to a digital afterlife. The series follows one particular young man, played by Robbie Amell, who gets uploaded. It has a lot of comic elements but also some serialized plot around how exactly he ended up dying so young as well as what he plans to do with the rest of his "life." The episodes are only 30-40 minutes and the season is 10 episodes so it's not a massive commitment.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1236 on: August 16, 2020, 10:25:49 PM »
I really enjoyed Upload, which Amazon added a couple of months ago.

seconded - (posted about it earlier in the thread)... surprised no one else chimed in at the time.  It really is a fun watch for something so heavy!  And I love how they ended the first season.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1237 on: August 17, 2020, 06:29:36 AM »
We just finished season 2 of Umbrella Academy, which was good (aside from a couple small things), and I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Boys, which comes out in early September.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1238 on: August 17, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »

seconded - (posted about it earlier in the thread)... surprised no one else chimed in at the time.  It really is a fun watch for something so heavy!  And I love how they ended the first season.

You found it heavy? I found it was kind of like a lighter "The Good Place".

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1239 on: August 17, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »

Yeah, I watched a few episodes and kept thinking, "This is just like The Good Place".  But not as good.

Which is saying much, because I couldn't get through The Good Place either.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1240 on: August 17, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »

I thought that the underlying subject matter - having ones consciousness captured in a virtual reality controlled by others - is terrifying, but that’s just me.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1241 on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:53 PM »
We just finished season 2 of Umbrella Academy, which was good (aside from a couple small things), and I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Boys, which comes out in early September.

Umbrella Academy love! Luther and Vanya were much more likable this season.

Diego needs a hug. His scene with Reginald was heartbreaking.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1242 on: August 18, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
It's probably frowned upon by many, but 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is a guilty pleasure.  I took a long hiatus so I've probably missed a season or two, but now watching Season 10 and you can just tell Larry David and everyone involved seem to have a lot of fun making it.  You don't have to watch every episode to enjoy it, which I also like.

Oh Curb is politically ok Because everyone knows what a liberal, and in
-real-life kind person, Larry David is.

In The last season out, Susie has figured prominently. I love Susie; she’s so angry and scary. I also love Jeff.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1243 on: August 18, 2020, 11:24:36 AM »

I think Diego needs a lecture a lot more than a hug. He was the most unlikable character to me this season.

He's hell bent on preventing Kennedy's assassination, despite knowing the consequences of changing a known historical event. Even when Five is trying to get his help stopping the apocalypse, he'd rather stop the Kennedy assassination.

On that note, when being told that they could stop the apocalypse by returning to the present, only a couple of the siblings seemed to make that a priority.

It was entertaining, but their motivations just didn't make sense to me.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1244 on: August 18, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »

I think Diego needs a lecture a lot more than a hug. He was the most unlikable character to me this season.

He's hell bent on preventing Kennedy's assassination, despite knowing the consequences of changing a known historical event. Even when Five is trying to get his help stopping the apocalypse, he'd rather stop the Kennedy assassination.

On that note, when being told that they could stop the apocalypse by returning to the present, only a couple of the siblings seemed to make that a priority.

I enjoyed season 1 more than season 2.
If I had to give it a score Season 1- *9* Season 2- *7*

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1245 on: August 18, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »

Watched it with my DS, so I did my best to like it, but it is just trying so hard.  I like the setting.  I kinda like the characters, Five definitely carried this season.  But holy cow, a person has to work so hard to suspend their disbelief to even try to let it make sense.

There's a lot of other interesting stuff going on, so I'm sure Netflix will milk it just as they will with Stranger Things, until I finally can't take it anymore!  Until that day, I'll do my best to ignore the plot holes and inconsistencies.

Also - totally can't wait for Season 2 of The Boys!  Watched 'Project Power' on Netflix as a very poor appetizer...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1246 on: August 20, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »

See it through.

The first season of Dexter is some of the best television I've ever seen . . . but the ending was ridiculously terrible.  So very disappointing.
Agree.

In general endings seem to disappoint more often than not. I thought Breaking Bad did a great job of it, though.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1247 on: August 22, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
If anyone is looking for an uplifting, positive show you can watch with your family, I watch to recommend "DC's Stargirl" which is available for free at cwtv.com for viewers in the USA. It's a superhero show about a teenage girl who finds a magic staff that gives her powers and she forms a team with her friends (and her stepdad as her sidekick) to protect her town. It's a really charming show and very enjoyable.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1248 on: August 27, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »
"Unforgotten" on Amazon Prime Video.

British drama on solving historical cases. Lots of twists and sob-plots.

Everyone has a dark past. People are not who they seem to be.

Halfway through season 2. Gripping.

Season 4 was supposed to have been filmed this year.

Good lead actors, who I've watched in other British dramas and comedies.
(Nicola Walker from Spooks/MI-5 and Sanjay Bhaskar from Goodness Gracious Me and The Kumars at No. 42)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1249 on: August 31, 2020, 06:39:14 AM »

It took me a hair over a month, but I just finished the series.

The last season definitely felt rushed. Seeing as the series had to be a cash cow for HBO, I would have expected them to milk it longer. However, I'm glad that I watched it all the way through. Its ending definitely wasn't as bad as some other series that I've experienced.

On a related note, I often joke that there are only about 30 British actors, and they all seem to make an appearance in every British show at some point. I enjoy seeing small parts played by actors that are stars in other series. Seeing Tobias Menzies in the season finale was fun, since my wife and I are also watching The Crown (Menzies plays the Duke of Edinburgh in the most recent season.