Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 700060 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #1900 on: January 27, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »
Sorry. Thoughtless of me.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #1901 on: January 28, 2022, 12:36:43 AM »
We watched the first three episodes of Ozark and will finish the half-season this weekend. God the writers somehow managed to insert even more conflict into the storyline. I love Marty and Ruth so much; IMO the father/daughter dynamic is stronger than it is with Marty and Charlotte. If the show sticks the landing, it will probably end up making my all-time top 10 list. But it can't pull a GOT in the last season, it just can't.

I absolutely loved Ozark seasons 1 and 2, but felt 3 was a big disappointment. I guess by season 3 a lot of my favorite periphery characters had already been killed off, and I didn't like the brother character they introduced. I haven't started season 4 yet but I hope it bounces back.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1902 on: January 28, 2022, 07:22:40 AM »
We watched the first three episodes of Ozark and will finish the half-season this weekend. God the writers somehow managed to insert even more conflict into the storyline. I love Marty and Ruth so much; IMO the father/daughter dynamic is stronger than it is with Marty and Charlotte. If the show sticks the landing, it will probably end up making my all-time top 10 list. But it can't pull a GOT in the last season, it just can't.

I absolutely loved Ozark seasons 1 and 2, but felt 3 was a big disappointment. I guess by season 3 a lot of my favorite periphery characters had already been killed off, and I didn't like the brother character they introduced. I haven't started season 4 yet but I hope it bounces back.

I started Ozark but couldn't get past Episode 2.  I appreciate the acting, writing, and the novelty of the premise, but it was too violent for me.  I can't relax watching any show where the good guys are relentlessly pursued by the bad guys. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1903 on: January 29, 2022, 02:42:24 PM »
finished 'for all mankind' yesterday. it was awful but entertaining. it could've been good with some better writing and a more plausible story line. the special effects were ok. some of the acting was good. i guess there's a 3rd season in the works?

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1904 on: January 29, 2022, 02:57:40 PM »
finished 'for all mankind' yesterday. it was awful but entertaining. it could've been good with some better writing and a more plausible story line. the special effects were ok. some of the acting was good. i guess there's a 3rd season in the works?
That's the thing - there is just so much out there and so little time!  I have a hard time deciding between really good shows and books, so having to watch a series that isn't satisfying really burns.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1905 on: January 31, 2022, 04:56:46 AM »

Just finished the first half of season 4.  It gets an A+ from me. It was so incredibly intense that I kept muttering, "Oh god" every 5 minutes.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: January 31, 2022, 06:12:36 AM »
We finished Ozark this weekend.  It was good, but I think it drug on just a little too long.  We'll see if they can wrap it up nicely in the last 7 episodes when they come out. 

We also watched Archive 81, which was pretty good.  They left it open for a second season, so I'm hoping it gets one.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1907 on: January 31, 2022, 12:37:59 PM »
watching '1971 the music that changed the world'. so far, so good.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1908 on: February 04, 2022, 09:41:07 AM »
'Hawkeye' on Disney +

The MCU screwed up his characterization. They righted a few things here, namely by giving Clint hearing loss, but I found Kate Bishop annoying.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #1909 on: February 04, 2022, 11:16:11 AM »
'Hawkeye' on Disney +

The MCU screwed up his characterization. They righted a few things here, namely by giving Clint hearing loss, but I found Kate Bishop annoying.
I enjoyed watching the interaction(s) between Kate & Yelena.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1910 on: February 04, 2022, 11:51:38 AM »
'Hawkeye' on Disney +

I enjoyed watching the interaction(s) between Kate & Yelena.

Yelena was pretty great. And Fra Fee is a cutie. So is Lucky.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1911 on: February 04, 2022, 01:54:19 PM »
For those interested, the showrunner and some of the other writers from Station Eleven previously worked on The Leftovers, which was one of my favourite shows of last year [didn't have access before].

I loved The Leftovers, particularly the first season which was based on the book by Tom Perrotta (the other two seasons had no direct source material to follow... and I think it showed). Anyway, fantastic show but extremely eerie and unsettling. The intro theme gives me chills.

The Leftovers is a masterpiece. Sadness, Longing, Religious Fervor, Bereavement. Slow and measured. Intensely emotional.

DH and I both watched The Leftovers. It’s not often that we can find something we both like. He likes sci-fi always. It reminded me a  bit of Lost.

I really liked Lost, but after one season, I gave up on The Leftovers.  It just didn't interest me at all.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1912 on: February 04, 2022, 01:58:26 PM »
For any sports geeks out there, I am watching the Joe Montana "cool under pressure" series on Peacock Premium (free with Comcast internet) and it's fantastic.  But I'm also a Niners fan... soooooo
I'm not a niners fan, but I liked watching Montana play back in the 80's and early 90's, plus I was a Chiefs fan when he signed with them.  A lot of it was nostalgic for me.  I watched the last episode this morning.  I enjoyed it.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1913 on: February 06, 2022, 06:43:49 AM »
Anyone watch Reacher on Amazon Prime?

I've really enjoyed it. I got my wife to try and we binged the first 6 episodes in one day. 2 more and then we have to wait to see if it gets another season.

I've read all the Lee Child Reacher books and this one seems to follow the first book pretty well. The actor playing Reacher is a much more believable choice for the 250# 6'5" book character than 170# 5'7" Tom Cruise who starred in the two Reacher movies.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1914 on: February 06, 2022, 05:55:43 PM »
As someone who's read the Reacher books, Cruise as Reacher was infuriating. I got coerced into seeing the first one (a friend's birthday request) but managed to avoid the second.

But that's what you ego allows, when you're Tom Cruise and own the option to adapt the series...my understanding is that option has now expired, so Child can go back to describing Reacher as 6.5" and 240 lbs.

I've really enjoyed it. I got my wife to try and we binged the first 6 episodes in one day. 2 more and then we have to wait to see if it gets another season.

I've read all the Lee Child Reacher books and this one seems to follow the first book pretty well. The actor playing Reacher is a much more believable choice for the 250# 6'5" book character than 170# 5'7" Tom Cruise who starred in the two Reacher movies.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1915 on: February 06, 2022, 07:26:25 PM »
Watched Asimov's Foundation series on Apple TV.  Really liked that it was basically "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", but in space.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1916 on: February 06, 2022, 10:27:10 PM »
I mentioned it before, but after this latest Euphoria episode I just have to give a standing ovation.  Not for the faint of heart, but you know what the subject matter is so you know what you are getting yourself in to. 

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #1917 on: February 07, 2022, 06:08:49 AM »

Yes, I've been binge watching them as well and really enjoying it.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1918 on: February 07, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »
Father Brown, season 9.

I am secretly a 70 year old grandma and I love it to bits. So cozy. So perfect for tea. <3

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1919 on: February 12, 2022, 07:40:54 AM »
anyone watching 'little america' on apple tv? we've watched two episodes so far and it's pretty nice although a little syrupy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1920 on: February 12, 2022, 07:46:34 AM »
watching '1971 the music that changed the world'. so far, so good.

Ooh, that looks like something I would love. Might be time to cancel Netflix for a bit and pick up Apple TV for a few months.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1921 on: February 12, 2022, 08:34:29 AM »
Father Brown, season 9.

I am secretly a 70 year old grandma and I love it to bits. So cozy. So perfect for tea. <3

haha, and then you have to watch "Vera" with the wonderful actress Brenda Blethyn.  Same premise but with a smart rumpled female homicide detective supervisor in present day.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #1922 on: February 12, 2022, 07:16:15 PM »
I mentioned it before, but after this latest Euphoria episode I just have to give a standing ovation.  Not for the faint of heart, but you know what the subject matter is so you know what you are getting yourself in to.
I just finished season 1 + the special episode. I have to say after the first few episodes, I had one interpretation of it that it was in a way espousing a conservative reactionary viewpoint, given the absurd heights of the decadence on display. Apparently the series is based on an Israeli series from ~10 years ago but I haven't seen much info on it. But given the lack of smartphones then, I would have to think many things would have to be different about that series. The grotesque style of the new series is also reminiscent of the film Kids from the 90s.

I was less impressed by the second half of season 1, with the story becoming too plot-driven that did away with some of the initial subtlety. But the special episodes are excellent (I guess they made them because they couldn't do normal episodes during covid? If so, thanks covid). Zendaya (I forgot she was in The OA) and Hunter have great chemistry together and are really owning their respective roles. Looking forward to season 2, and have a current rating of cautiously/optimistically very good.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1923 on: February 13, 2022, 06:50:46 AM »
It's not really a tv series, but I watched the first installment of Amazon original "Phat Tuesday", about black comedy clubs in the 90's hip hop era, funny stuff!
I realized I had forgotten about Robin Harris who died so young in his late thirties. He really stole the show in Do The Right Thing, Spike Lee's movie.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1924 on: February 13, 2022, 07:00:38 AM »
I just finished season 1 + the special episode. I have to say after the first few episodes, I had one interpretation of it that it was in a way espousing a conservative reactionary viewpoint, given the absurd heights of the decadence on display. Apparently the series is based on an Israeli series from ~10 years ago but I haven't seen much info on it. But given the lack of smartphones then, I would have to think many things would have to be different about that series. The grotesque style of the new series is also reminiscent of the film Kids from the 90s.

I was less impressed by the second half of season 1, with the story becoming too plot-driven that did away with some of the initial subtlety. But the special episodes are excellent (I guess they made them because they couldn't do normal episodes during covid? If so, thanks covid). Zendaya (I forgot she was in The OA) and Hunter have great chemistry together and are really owning their respective roles. Looking forward to season 2, and have a current rating of cautiously/optimistically very good.

Thanks for the comments, nice to hear from others that are watching.  I didn't have any bias going in, so it's good that you stuck with it - season 1 might not be as good as I remember.  If you liked the special episode, then I think you'll prefer season 2.  The whole series is so different from all the other stuff I watch and would be easy to poke fun at some of the unrealistic depictions of high schoolers, but these actors are absolutely incredible and hold my suspension of disbelief in place.  I don't think I've cared as much for a character (Rue) in a while. 

I'm also looking forward to a new series coming this week on Apple TV+ - Severance, a sci-fi series about employees who agree to a procedure that physically separates their work memory from their personal life 100%.  The trailers looked intriguing, especially the mystery around the company they work for and what they do at work...

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1925 on: February 13, 2022, 09:34:59 AM »
Father Brown, season 9.

haha, and then you have to watch "Vera" with the wonderful actress Brenda Blethyn.  Same premise but with a smart rumpled female homicide detective supervisor in present day.

I'm open to that. Father Brown has John Light though, and he's everything I'm attracted to. Yum.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1926 on: February 16, 2022, 11:52:50 AM »
A friend of mine posted about 'The Chosen.'

I was a little skeptical, because a lot of Christian movies/tv shows are, at best, cornball dreck and, at worst, made by Mel Gibson. And it was made by the son of the guy who wrote those books about the end of times, and I thought those were absolutely awful.

But I watched a couple of episodes. And y'all, it's good! Like, the women are really well written. Jesus is not a blue-eyed blond. The Apostles are not reciting Scripture word for word without context. People are presented as good and complicated at the same time.

I mean, there's an evangelical influence there, which isn't my thing normally, but it's wrapped up in good stuff. I'm legit happy and sincerely amazed that this exists.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:17:10 PM by Warlord1986 »

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1927 on: February 16, 2022, 12:06:39 PM »
I finished the final season of Shameless (US), it was kind of rough to get through.

You ain't kidding.  I don't know why they felt the need to go on for 11 seasons.  Should have wrapped it up when Joan Cusack left.

Anyway, on to the British version! :)

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #1928 on: February 17, 2022, 08:06:37 AM »
We're 2 1/2 seasons into "Last Kingdom" and I can't rave about it enough. So far, there hasn't been a single "meh" episode. It's bursting with Dane-versus-Saxon violence, tons of political conflict, and some very strong performances (especially by the actors playing King Alfred and Uhtred).  Life in the late 800s in England was rough, y'all!

Even though my wife doesn't love the fight scenes, she still adores the characters, cinematography, dialogue, relationships, etc.

Right now, it's a 9.5/10 for me. We'll be caught up by the time the 5th/final season drops in March on Neflix.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1929 on: February 17, 2022, 03:09:51 PM »
We just finished Peacemaker and it was the right level of big stupid fun for where I am right now.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1930 on: February 19, 2022, 03:12:51 PM »
I'm watching two series that I thought were both finished but didn't check carefully enough. 

"Line of Duty" - got really sucked into and just finished the 3rd season, which pulls everything so far together nicely.  We'll go on with it, though I was just hearing they're considering making another season (series).

"Better Call Saul" - watch the first couple episodes of this when it came out many years ago and then decided I couldn't take the snails pace of waiting for new episodes, then waiting for new seasons and trying to remember everything.  I thought it was safe - hadn't heard nanything about this series for a long time, so I assumed it had ended at least a couple of years ago, only to find out it will have it's final season this spring/summer.  If we watch it slow enough, maybe that will work out after all.  Although to be honest, in the first 4-5 episodes it's not like grabbing me by the lapels or anything.

« Reply #1931 on: February 20, 2022, 08:06:39 PM »

Thanks for the comments, nice to hear from others that are watching.  I didn't have any bias going in, so it's good that you stuck with it - season 1 might not be as good as I remember.  If you liked the special episode, then I think you'll prefer season 2.  The whole series is so different from all the other stuff I watch and would be easy to poke fun at some of the unrealistic depictions of high schoolers, but these actors are absolutely incredible and hold my suspension of disbelief in place.  I don't think I've cared as much for a character (Rue) in a while. 

I'm also looking forward to a new series coming this week on Apple TV+ - Severance, a sci-fi series about employees who agree to a procedure that physically separates their work memory from their personal life 100%.  The trailers looked intriguing, especially the mystery around the company they work for and what they do at work...
I just got caught up and think episode 4,6, and 7 are very good in season 2. Was afraid at one moment it was going to become Breaking Bad (which I thought was terrible) but then Lexi embraced her inner Charlie Kaufman and all is good.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1932 on: February 20, 2022, 09:44:00 PM »

I just got caught up and think episode 4,6, and 7 are very good in season 2. Was afraid at one moment it was going to become Breaking Bad (which I thought was terrible) but then Lexi embraced her inner Charlie Kaufman and all is good.
Yeah, I've had no idea where this season was going to go many times.  I thought Rue was going to end up an addict sex slave at one point...  but that might even be too much for this show.  Hard to tell, they really don't seem to be bashful about pushing the envelope and then some.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1933 on: February 20, 2022, 10:51:44 PM »
I recently watched the first season of the new series on Apple TV called "Calls".  The whole story is done through phone calls.  I love it :) 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1934 on: February 21, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »
I recently watched the first season of the new series on Apple TV called "Calls".  The whole story is done through phone calls.  I love it :)

we tried watching that but the first episode was so intense we had to stop.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1935 on: February 23, 2022, 07:27:05 AM »
i'm enjoying 'severance' on apple tv. quirky and dark and a bit funny. my girlfriend doesn't like it at all so as a compromise i'm being forced to watch 'reacher' on amazon prime. it's absolutely awful.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1936 on: February 23, 2022, 07:42:57 AM »
i'm enjoying 'severance' on apple tv. quirky and dark and a bit funny. my girlfriend doesn't like it at all so as a compromise i'm being forced to watch 'reacher' on amazon prime. it's absolutely awful.

I'm really enjoying Severance, too bad the episodes are coming out so slowly.  Most shows start with a 3 episode drop, which would've helped build up momentum.  I might just wait for more content then go back to it so I can watch more back to back.

Reminds me a bit of 'Homecoming'...

« Reply #1937 on: February 23, 2022, 05:37:34 PM »

Yeah, I've had no idea where this season was going to go many times.  I thought Rue was going to end up an addict sex slave at one point...  but that might even be too much for this show.  Hard to tell, they really don't seem to be bashful about pushing the envelope and then some.
Tangentially related:
EA organisations logos as Zendaya outfits

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1938 on: February 23, 2022, 06:04:58 PM »
Violet Evergarden will break your heart.  It's an anime on Netflix and it lulls you in at first.  The art is beautifully done and the characters are interesting and relatable.  And then it rips your heart out.  But it does it slowly and with an aching melancholy.  If you've ever been through real grief, it's an amazing show.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1939 on: February 23, 2022, 06:31:40 PM »
Tangentially related:
EA organisations logos as Zendaya outfits

Wow, that's pretty cool if it was 'secretly done' which seems to be the case.  I always loved when artists sneak in obscure references...

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1940 on: February 23, 2022, 06:45:02 PM »
Violet Evergarden will break your heart.  It's an anime on Netflix and it lulls you in at first.  The art is beautifully done and the characters are interesting and relatable.  And then it rips your heart out.  But it does it slowly and with an aching melancholy.  If you've ever been through real grief, it's an amazing show.

I'm down for a good anime.  Watched a bit of Cowboy Bebop after the live action show came out, but it was just meh.  I got hooked on Anime back with Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll back in the day...

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1941 on: February 24, 2022, 01:34:24 PM »

I'm down for a good anime.  Watched a bit of Cowboy Bebop after the live action show came out, but it was just meh.  I got hooked on Anime back with Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll back in the day...

It's definitely not an action anime or a heavy sci fi show.  It's more about the damage that happens to people that have been through trauma (war in this instance) and how they become emotionally numb and then slowly learn to reconnect with their emotions.  Even when that's painful.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #1942 on: February 28, 2022, 06:02:52 AM »
Finally caught up with Peaky Blinders - don't know what took me so long.  Ultra violent but some great performances.  Would love to see a Peaky Blinders / Downton Abbey crossover.

Does anybody watch both Peaky Blinders and Animal Kingdom??  Finn Cole plays the identical character in both!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1943 on: February 28, 2022, 12:59:44 PM »
@Nick_Miller
Just finished the first half of season 4.  It gets an A+ from me. It was so incredibly intense that I kept muttering, "Oh god" every 5 minutes.

LOL I was the same way GLUED to the screen, I can not wait for the finale. Ruth has to be the best character on that show.
The characters and the acting carry the show, I can see how the violence is a little off putting, but other shows are worse. 

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1944 on: March 03, 2022, 08:11:49 PM »
Watching the first episode of 'The Dropout' on Hulu.  A deep dive in to Elizabeth Holmes' life.  If this first episode is any indication, I'm really going to love this series!  It jumps around a lot, which is really well done and keeps things moving.  I know a lot of the story, yet still seeing plenty of new angles.

I sometimes wonder if Elizbeth was just unlucky - so close to being like her idol Steve Jobs, but headed down the wrong road early on.  If it had been consumer electronics, she probably would've been fine, but it was medical diagnostics...  Once she was in over her head while simultaneously successful, she was like the monkey that can't let go and has their hand trapped.

Or maybe she was just an overly ambitious person that was attractive and surrounded by smart, powerful, wealthy men.  They enabled her when they should have instead challenged her, and certainly were too easy on her. 

Anyway, it'll be fun to see what they do with what looks to be plenty of material.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 08:22:35 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1945 on: March 03, 2022, 08:47:57 PM »
Just binged watched Inventing Anna, was pretty good -- I like all of Shonda Rhimes' stuff.

Started on severence.. interesting so far.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1946 on: March 05, 2022, 08:02:27 PM »
Watching the first episode of 'The Dropout' on Hulu.  A deep dive in to Elizabeth Holmes' life
What I find so odd about her is that she said her favorite song is "I'm in a Hurry" but she apparently never listened to the actual lyrics. Either way, I'm going to watch this on Hulu, thanks!
Well I'm only halfway through the first episode and so far all I can think is "How did the uber-sexy Naveen Andrews manage to make himself look so frumpy?" I'm sure there's more to it but that's where I'm stuck right now.
He sure is a long way from 'Lost' :)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1947 on: March 06, 2022, 05:46:40 AM »
Just watched the latest two episodes of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon).. love the show :)

Also been watching Travellers (Netflix) again.. years ago I only watched the first season.  So I rewatched the first season and am now on season 2.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1948 on: March 06, 2022, 05:53:04 AM »
I am watching a new show on peacock JOE vs CAROLE , it is a dramatized  adaptation of  “Joe Exotic: Tiger King,” . The limited series  centers on Carole Baskin, a big cat enthusiast, who learns that fellow exotic animal lover Joe “Exotic”  is breeding and using his big cats for profit. She sets out to shut down his venture, inciting a quickly escalating rivalry. But Carole has a checkered past of her own and when the claws come out, Joe will stop at nothing to expose what he sees as her hypocrisy. The results prove dangerous.

This is a great show and often a hoot, the actors are great at playing the bizare characters of Caroline and joe.  I think this dramatization  is sympathetic to  the  main characters. Peacock is a free channel to anyone who has comcast internnet. I loaded it on my laptop but you can download the program on Roku or similar.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1949 on: March 06, 2022, 08:50:14 AM »
I've dropped everything to watch 'Our Flag Means Death'.  It's a bit of Black Adder, Flight of the Conchords, and Monty Python...  fingers crossed.