Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 726441 times)

evme

• Bristles
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #3050 on: November 29, 2023, 08:59:19 PM »
I also stumbled on to Scavengers Reign on Max and was entranced by it…. Not sure how or why it was green lit, but glad unique stuff like this is being found and appreciated!

Speaking of interesting new animated series, check out "Blue Eye Samurai" on Netflix. Unique animation style and good story, really digging it so far.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3051 on: November 30, 2023, 06:51:25 AM »
I also stumbled on to Scavengers Reign on Max and was entranced by it…. Not sure how or why it was green lit, but glad unique stuff like this is being found and appreciated!

Speaking of interesting new animated series, check out "Blue Eye Samurai" on Netflix. Unique animation style and good story, really digging it so far.

Definitely a good one!  I seem to be getting a lot of anime recommendations on Netflix, I'm also watching Onimusha which is similarly high quality, but a bit more gritty and gory.

I started up a Paramount Plus trial and am watching the second season of Yellowjackets as well as The Stand...  really good!

I came across the app 'Just Watch' which tells you which streaming service shows and movies are on.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3052 on: December 01, 2023, 01:53:41 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Primo yet? Just finished S1 with DH - we rarely agree on TV shows to binge, so this was a pretty key find. (He's also a Shea Serrano fan, which is how we found out about it.)

Just enough awkward comedy to make me uncomfortable at times, but not enough to have me NOT watch it (looking at you, The Office.) The acting on the show is just **chef's kiss** - especially the mom.

It's on Freevee on Amazon, which makes it watchable without adding a streaming service to your life, which is always nice!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3053 on: December 01, 2023, 02:37:04 PM »
Bad Surgeon: Love Under the Knife

This one really hit hard because I distinctly remember the articles about Dr. Macchiarini's "miraculous" trachea surgeries. Because of my background, I happen to have studied an enormous amount about stem cell research and regenerative medicine, and when I read that he "successfully" used a cadaver trachea seeded with stem cells to create a transplant, it sounded too good to be true, but at least theoretically possible. It was being reported on as a huge success and revolutionary and I was like "huh...I wouldn't expect that to work, there must have been some huge breakthrough with how they're handling stem cells now to make this work...neato.."

However when the next articles came out about how he was doing the same thing but with plastic tracheas "bathed" in stem cells, I was like "n'ah...that makes absolutely no sense to me."

It flew in the face of everything I was actively studying at the time. I was eyeballs deep in the world of bio-scaffolding and guided tissue regeneration. I knew most of the big companies in the world and had a steady stream of the latest research coming to me and not once had I seen a published article from any country in any language talking about research like this, and nothing with his name on it.

It sounded impossible, the fact that it was being reported as successful made me question everything I knew about tissue scaffolding. I couldn't figure out what the fuck I was missing and it really bothered me.

So when it came out a few years later that there was no research to support it, that he had ZERO theoretical justification for this approach, that the plastic tubes did exactly what one would expect plastic tubes sewn into throats would do, and that he was just murdering people in the most horrific way possible, I was horrified, but not at all surprised.

But this miniseries on him?

Holy fucking fuck.

I have never hated someone I have never met so much. Is this what parasocial relationships feel like? Because I feel like I know him and I fucking HATE HIM.

I won't spoil anything, I haven't said anything so far that wasn't highly publicized already, but this guy is so profoundly loathesome, it's actually hard to fathom.

Spoiler: show
He targeted patients who weren't dying, who would have lived full lives had he not intervened with a totally unproven treatment that he promised was safe and promised would improve their quality of life. After he murdered them, which often took weeks, months, or years of unspeakable torture to happen, he targeted their families and got extremely close to them including aggressively seducing the mother of one of his victims while under investigation for the son's death!!

I literally hate this man. I'm not even through 3 episodes and I find myself needing to take breaks because I can't stomach his smug, psychopath face for very long. They were doing a documentary about him at the time because he was so world-renowned because his successes were so miraculous (aka impossible), so there's A LOT of footage of him and it's stomach-turning, especially when put in context.

If this guy was written as fiction, no one would find the character believable.

ETA: oh good god...the latter half of episode 3 is...um...upsetting, and speaks to my personal disdain for scientific and medical media coverage and the huge issues I have with reporting on science.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 03:07:49 PM by Metalcat »

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: December 02, 2023, 11:22:37 AM »
Netflix dropped season 3 of Lupin, so we're watching that this week.

I am a total sucker for a heist plot, and this makes figuring out *how* he does the capers so much fun.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #3055 on: December 03, 2023, 03:25:49 AM »
We just finished "the ex wife" on channel 5 in the UK which we both thought was much better than a lot of series.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3056 on: December 03, 2023, 01:23:12 PM »
Malchat, what did you think of the Maya Kowalski case as presented in the documentary “ Takecare of Maya. “ The medical info was certainly one-sided and pretty vague, but I guess that’s because her medical team did not provide information from their side.

And just last week Maya and her family were awarded many many millions of dollars, with Johns Hopkins losing all seven counts in court.

It seemed to me the hospital made several miss-steps, and had opportunity to step back and review their treatment of her.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 01:24:51 PM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3057 on: December 03, 2023, 04:29:30 PM »
Malchat, what did you think of the Maya Kowalski case as presented in the documentary “ Takecare of Maya. “ The medical info was certainly one-sided and pretty vague, but I guess that’s because her medical team did not provide information from their side.

And just last week Maya and her family were awarded many many millions of dollars, with Johns Hopkins losing all seven counts in court.

It seemed to me the hospital made several miss-steps, and had opportunity to step back and review their treatment of her.

I haven't seen it, but I've handled a lot of serious chronic pain cases and it's probably the most challenging thing to handle as a medical professional. There's a reason it's almost always handled extremely poorly.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3058 on: December 03, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »

I haven't seen it, but I've handled a lot of serious chronic pain cases and it's probably the most challenging thing to handle as a medical professional. There's a reason it's almost always handled extremely poorly.

I can’t speak to their treatment of her disease and was it reasonable or not, and of course, it probably was because it’s Johns Hopkins. But it was their tenacious actions of keeping her away from her mother and getting child protective services involved that seemed over the top.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3059 on: December 04, 2023, 04:59:42 AM »

I can’t speak to their treatment of her disease and was it reasonable or not, and of course, it probably was because it’s Johns Hopkins. But it was their tenacious actions of keeping her away from her mother and getting child protective services involved that seemed over the top.

I would absolutely not assume this.

A lot of the people in my online group with my condition are treated at John's Hopkins and not consistently with very good care. Pain is *extremely* challenging to treat and.requires excellent understanding of the mental health components, which most medical staff don't understand, and unfortunately, most mental health professionals don't understand the medical side of pain. So pain patients get stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's actually not at all uncommon for horrific things to happen to severe pain patients.

In this case, officials were convinced it was child abuse, and the treatment for Munchausen by Proxy is to separate the child from their caregiver as much as possible. So those actions aren't at all unreasonable if you stipulate that it was reasonable to assume child abuse. Whether that was actually reasonable or not is what's debatable, not the actions of separating the girl from her mother. Had the assumption been correct, that would have been the most ethical thing to do.

The problem is the lack os understanding of complex, severe pain conditions. Why was it assumed the girl was being abused instead of that she had a complex pain condition? This is where the ridiculously poor level of understanding of both the physiological and psychological manifestations of severe pain are incredibly dangerous to patients. People who don't understand draw conclusions that make sense *to them* because they don't understand the lived experience of these patients and their families.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 05:04:07 AM by Metalcat »

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3060 on: December 04, 2023, 06:32:39 AM »
So this year we have been given Justified without Boyd Crowder, Unforgotten without Cassie Stuart, and now, Shetland without DI Perez... and they have all been awesome!  (mostly)

Only one episode in on Shetland S.8 but Ashley Jensen (Extras, After Life) has slotted right in.  Great supporting cast too.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3061 on: December 04, 2023, 07:30:16 AM »
So this year we have been given Justified without Boyd Crowder, Unforgotten without Cassie Stuart, and now, Shetland without DI Perez... and they have all been awesome!  (mostly)

Only one episode in on Shetland S.8 but Ashley Jensen (Extras, After Life) has slotted right in.  Great supporting cast too.

Lol, I love Shetland, it's so good, but how many serious crimes can happen in village of 6000 people??

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3062 on: December 04, 2023, 07:49:02 AM »

Lol, I love Shetland, it's so good, but how many serious crimes can happen in village of 6000 people??

Well there was Cabot’s Cove featured in Murder She Wrote, a tiny village that had a murder rate rivaling that of Detroit.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3063 on: December 04, 2023, 07:51:16 AM »

Well there was Cabot’s Cove featured in Murder She Wrote, a tiny village that had a murder rate rivaling that of Detroit.

To be fair, I never watched it. For some reason I thought she traveled around solving mysteries, like Poirot.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3064 on: December 04, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »

To be fair, I never watched it. For some reason I thought she traveled around solving mysteries, like Poirot.

She may have, but I don’t think she traveled far. I didn’t watch it. I just remember my husband commenting on the oddly high number of murders there.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 11:27:52 AM by iris lily »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3065 on: December 04, 2023, 10:53:20 AM »
Working through the Mike Flanagan catalogue and we’re really enjoying Midnight Mass. You have to ignore some truly terrible and unconvincing aging make-up but I don’t think I’ve instantly disliked a character as much as Bev Keane, who manages to be both plausible and utterly repulsive*. Episode five was a banger, did not see that coming. Can’t wait to find out how it ends.

*Bev Keane spoilers
she has the soft femme pass-agg energy of plenty of church women who subscribe to complementarianism and Being A Helpmeet where they would be so much less angry and resentful if they just let themselves seize power directly instead of having to manipulate these DUMBASSES into doing what is CLEARLY the Right Thing to Do and God Wants It while also making sure to stay sweet the entire time as well. The scene at the school around bibles at school? So uncomfortable, so well played.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3066 on: December 04, 2023, 11:30:39 AM »
Working through the Mike Flanagan catalogue and we’re really enjoying Midnight Mass. You have to ignore some truly terrible and unconvincing aging make-up but I don’t think I’ve instantly disliked a character as much as Bev Keane, who manages to be both plausible and utterly repulsive*. Episode five was a banger, did not see that coming. Can’t wait to find out how it ends.

*Bev Keane spoilers
she has the soft femme pass-agg energy of plenty of church women who subscribe to complementarianism and Being A Helpmeet where they would be so much less angry and resentful if they just let themselves seize power directly instead of having to manipulate these DUMBASSES into doing what is CLEARLY the Right Thing to Do and God Wants It while also making sure to stay sweet the entire time as well. The scene at the school around bibles at school? So uncomfortable, so well played.

You people down under know how to do comedies. I see that season two of Fisk came out, so I’ll start that. I’m watching The Let Down for a second time and it is great.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3067 on: December 04, 2023, 11:36:46 AM »

*Bev Keane spoilers

Yes, husband and I were astonished at how much we liked this.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3068 on: December 04, 2023, 11:39:43 AM »

Husband and I joked about this all the time when we watched it... like we would be vacating that place immediately LOL.

Similar issue with Endeavor, which we also enjoy.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3069 on: December 04, 2023, 01:38:33 PM »

Sure but that's every cop show ever!  In fairness, Shetland usually focuses on one major crime per season but then there is usually some interesting historical crime woven in.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3070 on: December 10, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »
I started an older series called "Game of Thrones" on HBO. Anyone else heard of it? ;)

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3071 on: December 10, 2023, 06:52:23 PM »
The new season of Fargo is very good, although the Jennifer Jason Leigh's over-the-top accent is grating.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #3072 on: December 15, 2023, 07:15:56 AM »
Just started "swimming with sharks" on Roku and living it.. especially"Sally draper" from mad men.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3073 on: December 19, 2023, 08:06:19 AM »
The new season of Fargo is very good, although the Jennifer Jason Leigh's over-the-top accent is grating.

Just watched the first episode last night. Exciting!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3074 on: December 20, 2023, 06:38:36 AM »
Just started 'The English' on Prime. Emily Blunt is good as usual and the story seems to be more interesting as we move along

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3075 on: December 20, 2023, 07:12:15 AM »
@uniwelder I loved Good Omens 2 and can't wait for the 3rd and final season!

I signed up for 1 month of the basic Netflix subscription (with a credit card promo) to watch Blue Eye Samurai. Really good animated series with mature subject matter. Netflix made the full first episode available for free on YouTube for anyone interested! Link here.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3076 on: December 20, 2023, 12:22:50 PM »
I finished Peaky Blinders a while back.  It was fine but man did it pump up a lot of scenes, with over the top music and high intensity cinematography, often being ridiculous.  VERY often is was like "PEAKY BLINDERS CREW WALKS DOWN THE ALLEY TOWARD THEIR BAR, FUCK YEAH!!!!"

It reminded me a lot of this scene from DeathNote, and after I made that connection, I couldn't stop laughing, every time it happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC6T3_O2iWc

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3077 on: December 23, 2023, 11:10:51 AM »

We’ve been enjoying Shetland but the populace does seem remarkably murderous. I expected more sheep and sweaters!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3078 on: December 23, 2023, 11:29:28 AM »
We’re late to the game but really enjoying Yellowjackets.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3079 on: December 24, 2023, 07:08:42 AM »

Just watched the first episode last night. Exciting!

We just discovered Fargo a month ago.  We've been guzzling shows and are on season 4.

I like how they have tied some of the seasons together with characters story arcs.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3080 on: December 27, 2023, 02:55:34 AM »
Just finished series 3 of Slow Horses and it didn't disappoint. There's a lot more action than previous series. The trailer for the next season has sucked me in too.

Followed that with episode 1 of Scrublands. It doesn't look like it will follow the book 100% but it draws you in immediately. They call it a whydunnit. Looking fwd to more.

Oh and we watched Bad Doctor - unbelievable how people got sucked in by some of his more outlandish claims but maybe in their place I would have.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 02:58:00 AM by Fresh Bread »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3081 on: January 02, 2024, 07:42:17 AM »
Finished 'A murder at the end of the world' last night. A good concept and pretty entertaining but not a great show. From the same people that made 'The OA' that was so awful.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3082 on: January 02, 2024, 07:59:59 AM »
I don’t watch most crime shows, but I really liked the German production “Dear Child” showing on Netflix. It is about kidnapper who keeps his victims locked up for years.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #3083 on: January 03, 2024, 12:30:32 AM »
Anyone seen / watching series 2 of the tourist with Jamie dornan? Not sure so far...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3084 on: January 03, 2024, 01:05:46 AM »
Anyone seen / watching series 2 of the tourist with Jamie dornan? Not sure so far...
It’s a bit of a mess so far? I really enjoyed the first season but this one seems like everyone is very stupid at all times.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3085 on: January 03, 2024, 01:50:54 AM »

I gave up on it after the first episode of series 1...

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3086 on: January 03, 2024, 01:56:49 AM »
It’s a bit of a mess so far? I really enjoyed the first season but this one seems like everyone is very stupid at all times.

I only just finished the first series but I did think it was supposed to be a bit silly. I don't know who made this one but a lot of Australian productions are a bit silly, a bit am-dram for want of a better description. It has a bigger budget but retains a sort of cartoonish quality.

Jade

• Pencil Stache
  • UK
« Reply #3087 on: January 03, 2024, 03:03:25 AM »

I only just finished the first series but I did think it was supposed to be a bit silly. I don't know who made this one but a lot of Australian productions are a bit silly, a bit am-dram for want of a better description. It has a bigger budget but retains a sort of cartoonish quality.

Hi all, yes, I agree with your thoughts. i quite liked the quirkiness on series 1 but it feels a hit overdone now...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3088 on: January 03, 2024, 05:31:53 AM »
Finished 'A murder at the end of the world' last night. A good concept and pretty entertaining but not a great show. From the same people that made 'The OA' that was so awful.

I enjoyed it, but I also really enjoyed The OA, I think Brit Marling resonates with a weird minority of people, otherwise her stuff if just painfully annoying. And while I'm watching it, I can absolutely see how it's "this close* to being insufferable, but I still like it. DH hates it, which I totally understand.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3089 on: January 03, 2024, 07:46:44 AM »

I enjoyed it, but I also really enjoyed The OA, I think Brit Marling resonates with a weird minority of people, otherwise her stuff if just painfully annoying. And while I'm watching it, I can absolutely see how it's "this close* to being insufferable, but I still like it. DH hates it, which I totally understand.

I was sucked into The OA until the last 15 minutes of the last episode. Then it was like WTF did I just watch?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3090 on: January 03, 2024, 07:57:11 AM »

I was sucked into The OA until the last 15 minutes of the last episode. Then it was like WTF did I just watch?

First season or second season. I never actually watched the second season because I liked the ending of the first season and wanted to leave it there. But again, I totally get why anyone would hate it. Not even sure why I liked it.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3091 on: January 03, 2024, 07:58:28 AM »

I really enjoyed "Murder at the End of the World," I felt like it skirted some of the problems of The OA. (I had a love-hate relationship with The OA. It's like it was always just on the edge of being something incredible, but then it would get a little too full of itself and I'd want to turn it off and never watch it again).

There's a fan theory on reddit that "Murder at the End of the World" is just a secret continuation of The OA. It's pretty fun.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3092 on: January 03, 2024, 08:46:48 AM »

I really enjoyed "Murder at the End of the World," I felt like it skirted some of the problems of The OA. (I had a love-hate relationship with The OA. It's like it was always just on the edge of being something incredible, but then it would get a little too full of itself and I'd want to turn it off and never watch it again).

There's a fan theory on reddit that "Murder at the End of the World" is just a secret continuation of The OA. It's pretty fun.

I wanted MATEOTW to be a book but I guess it's not.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3093 on: January 18, 2024, 10:05:42 AM »
The last episode of Fargo Season 5 was interesting. Makes me want biscuits.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3094 on: January 18, 2024, 02:22:11 PM »

DW and I sometimes revisit old retro shows from our childhood and we stumbled across Airwolf an old 80's TV show about an advanced attack helicopter. The writing, acting and special effects are so 80's, but we have watched half the the first season already and might end up watching more of the four seasons that exist.   

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3095 on: January 18, 2024, 02:27:01 PM »
I loooooooved Airwolf as a kid! I always thought it was so awesome seeing the helicopter rise up out of the cave/canyon place where they kept it

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3096 on: January 18, 2024, 02:30:35 PM »

Loved it. That moment where Wayne (off screen) clinks soda bottles with Moonk was just *chef's kiss*

I found the whole season really compelling and think there's some interesting, nuanced thematic work with debt / being "in debt" especially as relates to Dot.

It has, however, ruined John Hamm for me. He will always be Roy Tillman now, and that's kinda sad. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3097 on: January 18, 2024, 02:37:48 PM »

Loved it. That moment where Wayne (off screen) clinks soda bottles with Moonk was just *chef's kiss*

I found the whole season really compelling and think there's some interesting, nuanced thematic work with debt / being "in debt" especially as relates to Dot.

It has, however, ruined John Hamm for me. He will always be Roy Tillman now, and that's kinda sad.

It will be worth binge watching in a few years to help me follow the story better. Short attention span.
Jun Temple was excellent as a midwestern housewife.
I never could figure out Jennifer Jason Leigh's accent.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3098 on: January 18, 2024, 02:47:38 PM »
I'm enjoying Alice in Borderland at the moment (Netflix). Our 20yr old recommended it and it's great so far. Just about to finish the first season.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3099 on: January 18, 2024, 03:46:45 PM »
Somehow I had never seen the show Justified, and I've never been much of a Timothy Olyphant fan, and I assumed it would be hokey as hell.

I can't believe how wrong I was, this show has some of the sharpest dialogue I've ever seen, and truly frickin' delightful characters. His boss is probably one of my favourite characters ever on TV, his lines and delivery are absolutely fantastic.

I feel like they really invested a lot in high quality actors for all of the minor roles too, which helps with the overall quality of the series because there's just so much resting on the interactions between all of the characters that if even minor characters were weakly played, it would tumble the whole dynamic deck of cards.

I also appreciate how many minor characters they bring back, sometimes even after they're presumed dead, just because they would be entertaining in a given dynamic. I think the writers each season are extremely responsive to which characters worked and how they worked in the previous season. They also seem to readily dispose of anyone who isn't working, which I appreciate as well.

The show never takes itself too seriously, but has enough earnestness that the plots have good moments of emotional heft to them.

It's a very fun, and extremely watchable show. I haven't had a show where I genuinely really like the majority of the characters in a very, very long time.