Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780893 times)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1100 on: June 14, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »
Fortnight.  It's free and fun :).

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1101 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
Just started playing Diablo III on my PS3.  My addictive personality is really taking over again, kinda scary heh.  Good thing I'm on FMLA for a while! 

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1102 on: June 15, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
Crazy about RPG's, latest is Torment: Tides of Numenera. Spiritual successors of one of my all-time favourites Planescape: Torment. Really has the same vibe and atmosphere to it.

I thought the gameplay was a little wonky. It also seemed a bit rushed.

I'm currently playing Pillars II. Slow at first, it's really picked up and is way fun.

I Want to Believe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1103 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
I've always considered myself a PC Gamer, although I have played a few console games in the past, Resident Evil 1 and 2 on PS, and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I've never been able to get the hang of playing FPS with a controller.

Mostly my PC games have been RPG and FPS. Favourite game of all time is probably Deus Ex on PC, although System Shock 2 was pretty cool too. I also enjoyed Portal 1 and 2. Recently bought a dead Xbox 360 on ebay and repaired it so I could play Rise of the Tomb Raider without having to fork out for enough PC upgrades to run it. Also got a second hand copy of Alien: Isolation.

I don't get anywhere near enough time to play games as much as I used to, maybe one evening every couple of weeks for a couple of hours. So those 2 will probably keep me busy until christmas.

I also play on my phone, although mostly casual games, XCOM Enemy Within ported for android was well worth the £5 on google play store. I played the original XCOM games back in the 90s and it was a great modernisation.

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1104 on: June 26, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
I've always considered myself a PC Gamer, although I have played a few console games in the past, Resident Evil 1 and 2 on PS, and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I've never been able to get the hang of playing FPS with a controller.

I have that in common. I've tried playing FPSs on a console but it feels like my character is drunk and wearing concrete shoes compared to using a mouse & keyboard. Speaking of FPSs, I gave Ghost Recon Wildlands a try as Ubisoft had a free trial on their uplay program. It's a 3rd person shooter (a 3PS?), but thankfully allows aiming in first person. I'm still getting used to it, but the gameplay is phenomenal overall.

I'm not sure if MMM has touched on it, and I know he's into owning himself, but I have noticed over the years that renting an apartment gives me a LOT more free time outside of work compared to my house owning co-workers. I'm not sure if I would be playing video games if I had to do yard work and maintenance. I didn't play games for the last two years of highschool while working part time, doing a small time sport (cross country), and doing yard work and maintenance on my parents house. They accidentally convinced me that I don't want a house as an adult. I don't think that's the lesson they were trying to impart while I was mowing, raking leaves, edging driveways, weeding, landscaping, and assisting with the construction of privacy fences, drainage ditches, deck additions, etc but that was my key takeaway.

I got back into gaming after working full time, going to school part time, and not having to worry about the building I lived in after I left work for the day.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1105 on: June 26, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
I ran a few laps in iRacing last night on a Simcraft Apex3 GT with a VR headset.

Holy crap.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: June 29, 2018, 08:40:37 AM »
I recently was gifted Dead by Daylight....HOLY CRAP!

It's such a simple game, but if you are playing with a few friends on a voice chat that game is so fun and intense.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1107 on: June 29, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
Just started playing Diablo III on my PS3.  My addictive personality is really taking over again, kinda scary heh.  Good thing I'm on FMLA for a while!
Oh man I loved D3

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1108 on: June 30, 2018, 06:43:28 AM »
I finally got a NES (they re-re-released them yesterday) at Wal-mart for $60.

I am playing the very first Zelda on it right now.  Very surprised how many things from the later Zelda series are in the first one, especially when the artists only had like 30 pixels to fashion each character.

I do not know how to travel on the lakes and rivers yet though.  I step on the little brown raft like thing but can't get it to move.  Maybe I pick up a outboard motor in a cave?

Blackeagle

• Bristles
« Reply #1109 on: July 06, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »

I am playing the very first Zelda on it right now.  Very surprised how many things from the later Zelda series are in the first one, especially when the artists only had like 30 pixels to fashion each character.

Same here.  Got my NES classic on Monday and I've been playing my way through Zelda since.

I do not know how to travel on the lakes and rivers yet though.  I step on the little brown raft like thing but can't get it to move.  Maybe I pick up a outboard motor in a cave?

There are two items that will let you cross water: the stepladder and the raft.  The stepladder can be used on any water (both in dungeons and the overworld) but it only lets you cross one "square" of water.  The raft lets you cross longer distances, but you can only use it where there's a "dock" (those square things sticking out into the water).  You get the raft in Level 3 and the stepladder in Level 4.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: July 06, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
Started playing Warhammer: Vermintide 2, purchased during the recent Steam sale.  Played a lot of the first on Xbox after it was offered for free last year.  Lots of co-op fun, and plenty of challenge. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1111 on: July 10, 2018, 07:10:36 AM »
Oh man I loved D3
I thought it was fun to play, but it lost a lot of the equipment collecting aspect of D2. All weapons more or less behaved the same way so it was just a matter of higher number=better. I think the variety of D2 and the complexity of matching the right gear to the right build gave it a lot more replay value.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #1112 on: July 10, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »

Same here.  Got my NES classic on Monday and I've been playing my way through Zelda since.

There are two items that will let you cross water: the stepladder and the raft.  The stepladder can be used on any water (both in dungeons and the overworld) but it only lets you cross one "square" of water.  The raft lets you cross longer distances, but you can only use it where there's a "dock" (those square things sticking out into the water).  You get the raft in Level 3 and the stepladder in Level 4.

I love the nes classic. It cost me about 120 dollars when it got first released and I felt maybe I was splurging a bit on it but I've played it a ton. Now my son is playing Mario on it and I feel it's nice to let this be his first impression of video games instead of ultra graphics ps4 which I feel is still to expensive.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1113 on: July 10, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
FYI if you are already an Amazon Prime subscriber, they are offering a free game a day to celebrate Prime Day. It's annoying that you have to download the Twich App to access the games, but hey it's Free*.

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

AKA built into the cost of the Prime subscription.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1114 on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
After really enjoying Ys Origin and Ys VIII I decided to try another Falcom game, Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I wasn't expecting a lot, but I'm finding it quite fun as well. I'm actually liking it more than Persona 5 (which I dropped after the first arc).

I really like how the battle system rewards honing your skills more than just grinding out more levels. The graphics aren't amazing (it was originally on the Vita), but they are decent and aesthetically consistent. The music is very good. The plot is fine but could be more ambitious.  I am impressed with how much effort went into developing short stories for all the minor NPCs.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: August 13, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
WoW: Battle for Azeroth launches today at 3pm pacific so I guess I am going down that rabbit hole again.

I am guessing WoW classic will launch next year on the 15th anniversary.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1116 on: August 13, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
Resident Evil 7 in VR. I can only play it for 15-20 minutes at a time as the motion makes me increasingly feel sick but man is the immersion great. Horror + VR = awesome!

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1117 on: August 14, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »
Put together a new gaming rig, total cost was about $850 and I'm splitting the cost with my girlfriend who also wants to use it for photo editing, so I feel like I've been fairly mustachian with it. I haven't had a working gaming PC for 5 or 6 years, so I'm pretty much only going to be playing games that I've missed in that time. This means that I can get them for real cheap on Steam sales- last week I picked up DOOM for $10 and Fallout:NV for $3.

Currently playing Dragon Age 1, then waiting for Dragon Age Inquisition to go on sale before I'll pick that up. I've heard 2 is skippable. Also on my wishlist- Witcher 3, Divinity 2, Bioshock Infinite, the new Wolfenstein games, and Pillars of Eternity 2.

supernovajm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1118 on: August 14, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
Everyone here should check out https://reddit.com/r/patientgamers

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did not go through 23 pages of this thread to check.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1119 on: August 14, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
Everyone here should check out https://reddit.com/r/patientgamers

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did not go through 23 pages of this thread to check.

ooo, nice! I also just stumbled across https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/ which might be helpful for anything that might have slipped through the cracks of my wishlists.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1120 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »
I don't play as much as I like...about 4 hours a month.   RE would definitely solve that.... I'd like to play 4 hours per week.

Currently playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided.  Its taking a long time since I enjoy doing all the side missions and then there's that 4hrs a month thing.

I enjoyed the recent Tomb Raiders as well.  I play about 2 games per year, so I have an endless backlog.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1121 on: August 14, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Is Mankind Divided worth picking up? The original Deus Ex is one of my favorite games ever, and I already have Human Revolution on deck to play that I'm super excited about.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1122 on: August 14, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
Is Mankind Divided worth picking up? The original Deus Ex is one of my favorite games ever, and I already have Human Revolution on deck to play that I'm super excited about.

I liked Human Revolution an will probably end up getting Mankind Divided this Thanksgiving (probably ~ $10 or so).

I'll also probably pick up Shadow of War (another sequel to a game I really enjoyed the original) this TG too.

As for now, I'm playing Horizon (with the DLC) and I also picked up Metal Gear Solid 5 on a digital sale recently.

I had intended to preorder the final chapter of TellTale's walking dead (which came with all of the previous series in the pre-order), but I don't think that's available now that it's actually come out. I thought the pre-order was a reasonable idea because I hadn't played it since season 2. Now, I'll wait for it to go on sale.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1123 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
pretty unreasonably excited for FO76. Been playing FO4 again.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1124 on: August 22, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
Replaying the original Suikoden (mostly for an endgame save to use on Suiko 2, but for the game itself too).

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1125 on: August 22, 2018, 12:55:51 PM »
Xbox One had a slew of good games for free this past month, so that's what I'm putting my time into now that I'm back from a wonderful vacation in a potential ER destination (Bellingham).

Forza Horizon 2
Dead Space 3 (played this in the past; it's not as good as the previous two by any means, but I still feel like giving it another playthrough)
For Honor - haven't actually tried it yet, but always wanted to and the reviews weren't good enough to merit a purchase.  For free, though, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Also still occasionally playing Warframe and Warhammer: Vermintide 2. 

Looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2.  Going to purchase it at full price, but I feel it'll be worth it to play online with friends.  Since that's probably only 2 full price games all year long (nothing else on my radar), I'm not going to worry too much. 

Nudel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1126 on: October 13, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
Playing with the Archive.org Commodore 64 games. Just click on a game and the emulator loads with all the high tech graphics you know and love. https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_c64

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1127 on: October 13, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
Playing with the Archive.org Commodore 64 games. Just click on a game and the emulator loads with all the high tech graphics you know and love. https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_c64

The first one I tried completely locked up my browser...

Nudel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1128 on: October 13, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

The first one I tried completely locked up my browser...

No probs for me so far. Used both Firefox and Chromium.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1129 on: November 12, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
Playing Alien Isolation now.  Love it so far!

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #1130 on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:26 AM »
I finally beat Bloodborne last night. I haven't beat a lot of games in the past few years, but that and Horizon Zero Dawn have been real highlights for me on the PS4. Looking to play Dark Souls 3 next.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: November 14, 2018, 03:45:29 AM »
Recently finished Uncharted 4 (awesome), Destiny 2 (great start but quickly deteriorated into multiplayer doo doo so I bombed out early), and Bulletstorm (haven't had this much fun since Duke Nukem days!) on PS4.

Also been playing IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad on PC, which is pretty good.

Next up is Yakuza Kiwami on PS4. Since retiring, my gaming pace has been relentless, but this is a good problem to have :-)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1132 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
Red dead redemption 2 – worth the money for sure !

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1133 on: November 15, 2018, 06:29:02 PM »

Same; my second full-price game purchase this year.  Actually haven't played in a bit due to company (the guest room is where the Xbox is), and have been playing Diablo 3 again (first time in 5 years or so).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1134 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »
I'm a huge Tetris and Lumines fan, so I pretty much had to get Tetris Effect. So good! Except now I almost want Playstation VR so I can play it the way it was meant to be played. But... yeah, no. $40 was already too much to pay for Tetris. Let's not add another $200 to that.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1135 on: November 16, 2018, 08:26:22 AM »
I am slowly chipping away at one of the Batman games. I got a couple of the newer (relatively speaking) Batman games in a humble bundle recently for cheap and figured I'd play them. I probably get about 45 minutes a week..so much other stuff to do, lol

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1136 on: November 16, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »

Same; my second full-price game purchase this year.  Actually haven't played in a bit due to company (the guest room is where the Xbox is), and have been playing Diablo 3 again (first time in 5 years or so).
Luckily(?) for me, I never played the original, and I still have a console that will play it. Assuming I have time to play this winter, I'll probably pick up a copy of RDR(1) GOTY as my next patient-gamer score!

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1137 on: November 26, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Just bought Diablo 3 (PS4) on a black Friday deal. I played the first 2 on PC a long time ago and the price was low enough that I thought it would be fun to see what the "new" one was like.

I was also hoping that Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) would drop to $10 or less (because it's so frickin' old), but it didn't so it remains on my "yet to buy" list.

I also bought a $10 copy of Shadow of War (really liked the first one), and a ~$25 copy of God of War (expensive for me, but it looks fun).

Since I don't play that much, I think these titles will last me for the year (along with games like Rock Band that I play years after they come out...I think D3 will be like this too).

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1138 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:05 PM »
Well I picked up the Spiderman PS4 slim bundle. Got it, the Uncharted trilogy, The Last of Us Remastered, and Horizon: Zero Dawn for about $250. I've never owned a Playstation or Xbox before, so I'm excited. Recommend me something!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1139 on: November 26, 2018, 06:01:26 PM »
Well I picked up the Spiderman PS4 slim bundle. Got it, the Uncharted trilogy, The Last of Us Remastered, and Horizon: Zero Dawn for about $250. I've never owned a Playstation or Xbox before, so I'm excited. Recommend me something!

I own 17 PS4 games and these are some of my favorites:
Disgaea 5
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Ys VIII

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1140 on: November 26, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »

Luckily(?) for me, I never played the original, and I still have a console that will play it. Assuming I have time to play this winter, I'll probably pick up a copy of RDR(1) GOTY as my next patient-gamer score!

Do it, that was a good game.  I want to play RDR2 but I'm going to hold off until the price drops.  I just ordered the witcher 3 complete edition for xbox one for $22.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1141 on: November 27, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »

Sounds more a great start.

When your done with those, maybe Witcher 3.

I also love Rockband, but it's probably hard to find instruments... But if you like drums you could try to get a cheap electronic kit (needs MIDI out) and a Ps4 midi adapter. It's a bunch of cash to drop though so maybe I shouldn't recimmend it here

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1142 on: November 27, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
Picked up Wolfenstein: The New Order and Old Blood for $9 total from Steam's black friday sale. Taking a break from RPGs to play some of that- also playing DOOM, also from a steam sale for like $10. 

Next up- Witcher 3 GOTY ($20 sale from GOG a couple months back)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1143 on: November 27, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

Do it, that was a good game.  I want to play RDR2 but I'm going to hold off until the price drops.  I just ordered the witcher 3 complete edition for xbox one for $22.
Price dropped a bit more on Black Friday so I grabbed a copy. Now I just need to find time to play!

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1144 on: November 27, 2018, 04:32:20 PM »
I own 17 PS4 games and these are some of my favorites:
Disgaea 5
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Ys VIII

Sounds more a great start.

When your done with those, maybe Witcher 3.

I also love Rockband, but it's probably hard to find instruments... But if you like drums you could try to get a cheap electronic kit (needs MIDI out) and a Ps4 midi adapter. It's a bunch of cash to drop though so maybe I shouldn't recimmend it here

Thanks to you both! I'll definitely look into these.

bendixso123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1145 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Civ 6 - Rise and Fall
Endless Space
Kerbal Space Program
The Witness
Axiom Verge

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1146 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:24 AM »
Just finished God of War III (freebie with PS Plus). I didn't like it at first but it grew on me and it ended up being pretty good, even with all the button mashing!

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1147 on: December 04, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Just finished God of War III (freebie with PS Plus). I didn't like it at first but it grew on me and it ended up being pretty good, even with all the button mashing!

I played GOW3 on hard difficulty and was crushed.  Unfortunately, they only give you the option to dropping to easy difficulty (skipped normal) so the game went from @#%#$ hard to a cake walk.  I still had fun but my ego definitely took a hit.  I'm a souls gamer and I couldn't deal with GOW3 on hard!  There is even a titan difficulty after that!!!

Currently play Dark Souls.  I'm a big fan of souls games but I never actually ventured into the souls series.  Platinumed Bloodborne and beat Demon's Souls and Nioh on NG+ and just now diving into Lordran! 

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1148 on: December 05, 2018, 03:33:02 AM »
I played GOW3 on hard difficulty and was crushed.  Unfortunately, they only give you the option to dropping to easy difficulty (skipped normal) so the game went from @#%#$ hard to a cake walk.  I still had fun but my ego definitely took a hit.  I'm a souls gamer and I couldn't deal with GOW3 on hard!  There is even a titan difficulty after that!!!
You did better than me because I started out on normal and even then had to go down to easy to beat Hades due to my noobness. The game got easier after that as I got more used to it so I could probably have persisted with normal mode all the way through. It's a balance between having enough of a challenge for it to be fun but not so much of a challenge that you're going to rage quit the game. Titan difficulty- no way!

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #1149 on: December 14, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
Currently play Dark Souls.  I'm a big fan of souls games but I never actually ventured into the souls series.  Platinumed Bloodborne and beat Demon's Souls and Nioh on NG+ and just now diving into Lordran!

I'm also a fan of soulsborne games! I'm playing DS3 right now. Nioh and Bloodborne were my first ones. I was excited about Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice until I saw it was more a stealth action game with no RPG stat elements.