Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 218494 times)

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1100 on: April 29, 2018, 07:33:07 AM »
I think one of the reasons why Primal caught flack was what I've taken to calling the 'CoD Multiplayer effect'. I noticed it clearly when I spent time playing Far Cry 3 co-op. There seems to be a large population of younger games who grew up on Call of Duty multiplayer and hence think every FPS is about running around like a chicken with its head cut off shooting whatever automatic weapon in the game has the largest magazine from the hip. They probably ran around swinging a club in Primal, got bored, and gave it a bad review before they realized all the other ways that game can be played.

Primal was a game that should definitely be played on the hardest difficulty. Ubisoft even pushed out a Survival mode in an update after the game released. Playing the game on Veteran forces one to slow down and use strategy. I found the game got a LOT easier after taming a sabretooth and learning the skill for the rottenbomb. I'd sneak up on an enemy position, use the owl to drop a rottenbomb on top of the biggest enemy, then send the sabretooth in to clean up the perimeter while the other enemies fought each other. I found myself wishing Far Cry 5 had a small drone in the game.

It's obvious that Ubisoft carried over a LOT from Primal to Far Cry 5. Almost any compound on the map can be fast traveled to once you've walked past it once, not just outposts. Stores are everywhere, not just at outposts. The friendly AI system was copied over, to the point where just like in Primal it doesn't count as the enemy seeing you if all they see is your friendly AI character.

I give Ubisoft credit for realizing that to make an animal focused game work they had to set it in the stone age. I tried using the cougar in FC5 at first, but the enemy just shoots her. By putting Primal in the stone age the animals become much more powerful relative to the enemies and they can include now instinct specious like sabretooths and mammoths. 

I've finished playing through FC5 now and have really just two complaints:
  • Lack of a Veteran setting; the game only has easy, normal, and hard. Hard ended up being too easy. By the time I got 2 - 3 hours into the game about the only time I'd ever die or even be in trouble was under very direct fire from an enemy helicopter. The enemy ground troops don't scale up very well.
  • The transition from the open world to the main story line could have been handled much better. It got to where I was intentionally avoiding picking up resistance points while traveling in the open world because I didn't want to hit that magic number and get yanked into the main story. They also should have set the resistance points needed to trigger the main story much higher, thereby forcing me to pick some up in the open world after completing all the 'story missions' and most of the 'side missions' that take place in the open world. I loved the story & side missions that take place in the open world, but if you hit the resistance points too quick it'll yank you before you finish the open world stuff.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1101 on: April 30, 2018, 06:13:20 PM »
I've completed a few PS4 games lately, namely Heavy Rain (awesome), Journey (zen-like), Flower (zen-like), Trackmania Turbo (well as far as you can get with winning at least silver on every track) and am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn Frozen Wilds DLC (best game ever keeps on giving). I also bought a PSVR, with them going on deep sale where I am just after the release of the movie Ready Player One, and that has been better than I expected with all the free demos and youtube VR clips out there use on it. The only VR full games I have are VR Worlds, which came bundled with the PSVR, and Eagle Flight and they are both pretty good fun. I'm waiting for VR games like Resident Evil 7 and Elder Scrolls V to go below $25 before I buy. In the meantime I have Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Until Dawn and Uncharted 4, all bought at a good discount, to keep me entertained.

zoltani

« Reply #1102 on: April 30, 2018, 06:56:46 PM »
Anyone playing the new god of war? Looks good but I am waiting for price cuts.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1103 on: May 01, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
Anyone playing the new god of war? Looks good but I am waiting for price cuts.

I have heard good things about it from my friends. Pretty steep though. I'm still playing Fortnite, a popular free game.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #1104 on: May 02, 2018, 09:48:25 AM »
Currently ADDICTED to Fortnite which is not only the best Mustachian game ever (read: free), it's also a really interesting business model. It recently became the highest grossing free game EVER! It brings in $2mm per day on in-game purchases. I'm constantly amazed how much money people are willing to spend on digital, meaningless accessories. One of my online buddies told me he has spent over $200 on that shit.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1105 on: May 02, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
Currently ADDICTED to Fortnite which is not only the best Mustachian game ever (read: free), it's also a really interesting business model. It recently became the highest grossing free game EVER! It brings in $2mm per day on in-game purchases. I'm constantly amazed how much money people are willing to spend on digital, meaningless accessories. One of my online buddies told me he has spent over $200 on that shit.

Yes, it is certainly changing the video gaming industry, for the better IMO.

Are you on PS4? Lol, we could play together sometime.

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #1106 on: May 22, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
I play on Xbox and PC.  Mostly Steam sales and Xbox gold free games, with perhaps 2-3 full-price purchases per year (usually to play with friends online).

Fortnite BR: gave it a whirl (on Xbox) with some buddies.  Didn't grab me yet, but I'll probably be willing to play it when a few of them are online and interested.
Warframe: Have been playing here or there recently (played it extensively for about four months, but quit a year ago).  Great free game, but with a steep learning curve.
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2: Picked it up for $6.25 to play with my son during his allotted screen time as an introduction to more complex video games. 
Rise of the Tomb Raider: Almost done with this, but haven't finished yet.
Witcher 3: Another game that I periodically go back to.  Incredible amount of high-quality content.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1107 on: June 06, 2018, 07:37:34 AM »
Picked up the new God of War (full price, but it's been a long time since there has been a game that Hubs and I were both excited about, and we didn't want to wait for the price to drop). Great game. I loved the original God of War (II was meh, and I never played III), and the changes and improvements to combat were fantastic--and so were the callouts to the original combat system. I really enjoyed the puzzles. The characters were great (never thought my favorite character in a game would be a severed head) and mostly believable. The environment was great, and I love games that reward you for exploring, and this one does not disappoint. It's no Horizon Zero Dawn (sequel now please), but definitely worth the price and still has lots of play left in it.

I also discovered that somebody set up a private server of my MMORPG drug of choice, Final Fantasy XI. Hubs and I created characters and have already poured way too many hours into it. It's a bad, bad idea. I was this close to becoming one of those failed-out-of-college gaming addicts you hear about. And now I'm an adult with a job, in a masters program, with responsibilities... If we're going to play this again for the long haul, it's going to have to be WAY different this time around. Ditching work last Friday to play probably wasn't the best start...

On the plus side, it's very Mustachian--no subscription fee this time around, plus it will probably dramatically reduce our restaurant and entertainment spending. That happens when you stop leaving the house.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1108 on: June 06, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
I am playing Celeste. Tons of fun and lots of replayability. It's really good at teaching you tech through level design instead of tutorial text and the difficulty curve is quite nice. Overall it's a very well polished game.

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1109 on: June 06, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »
I am playing Celeste. Tons of fun and lots of replayability. It's really good at teaching you tech through level design instead of tutorial text and the difficulty curve is quite nice. Overall it's a very well polished game.

I'm working on the B side levels, and the difficulty gets quite ridiculous. I'm also playing Space Hulk Deathwing online with a friend. He gave me his physical copy since he also has a digital copy, so I see that as being Mustachian for me.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: June 06, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

I'm working on the B side levels, and the difficulty gets quite ridiculous.

Agreed, the difficulty definitely ramps up in the optional levels. There were several rooms that I felt were impossible at first. But I like how the game pushes the boundaries of what I thought I was capable of. With enough practice (and sometimes thinking) I've been able to beat the B-side for Chapters 1-5 and I'm almost done with Chapter 6. After going back to the main story (to find all the collectibles) I found the normal levels to be much easier simply because the B-sides had honed my skills.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1111 on: June 06, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
Picked up the new God of War (full price, but it's been a long time since there has been a game that Hubs and I were both excited about, and we didn't want to wait for the price to drop). Great game. I loved the original God of War (II was meh, and I never played III), and the changes and improvements to combat were fantastic--and so were the callouts to the original combat system. I really enjoyed the puzzles. The characters were great (never thought my favorite character in a game would be a severed head) and mostly believable. The environment was great, and I love games that reward you for exploring, and this one does not disappoint. It's no Horizon Zero Dawn (sequel now please), but definitely worth the price and still has lots of play left in it.

I also discovered that somebody set up a private server of my MMORPG drug of choice, Final Fantasy XI. Hubs and I created characters and have already poured way too many hours into it. It's a bad, bad idea. I was this close to becoming one of those failed-out-of-college gaming addicts you hear about. And now I'm an adult with a job, in a masters program, with responsibilities... If we're going to play this again for the long haul, it's going to have to be WAY different this time around. Ditching work last Friday to play probably wasn't the best start...

On the plus side, it's very Mustachian--no subscription fee this time around, plus it will probably dramatically reduce our restaurant and entertainment spending. That happens when you stop leaving the house.

Can you tell me more about this private server or PM me more information? I'm interested in FFXI.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1112 on: June 06, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
Can you tell me more about this private server or PM me more information? I'm interested in FFXI.

https://na.nasomi.com/  It's the game as it was around 2008 or so, for the most part.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1113 on: June 09, 2018, 11:24:14 AM »
I'm enjoying Titanfall 2 for some lightweight action.  The kids like Fortnight, and I play it on occasion as well, though not very well. 

Most off the time nowadays I play board games online, when I have time to play at all.  Catan, Dominion, Lords of Waterdeep.

Rustychase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1114 on: June 09, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
I was playing the Sims 3 on PC! I never really got into the 4th series....too much money theft from EA.

But there are enough mods and cc out there it's still pretty fun all these years later

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1115 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:47 AM »
I am playing Railroad Tycoon 2. I played this game when it was the newest one available and then somehow life went on and it got to be 20 years old. RT3 and Sid Meier's Railroads! are both trash games, so I never moved on even though the series did...

Crabbie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1116 on: June 12, 2018, 09:41:52 AM »
Crazy about RPG's, latest is Torment: Tides of Numenera. Spiritual successors of one of my all-time favourites Planescape: Torment. Really has the same vibe and atmosphere to it.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1117 on: June 14, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »
Fortnight.  It's free and fun :).

Johnez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1118 on: June 15, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
Just started playing Diablo III on my PS3.  My addictive personality is really taking over again, kinda scary heh.  Good thing I'm on FMLA for a while! 

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1119 on: June 15, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
Crazy about RPG's, latest is Torment: Tides of Numenera. Spiritual successors of one of my all-time favourites Planescape: Torment. Really has the same vibe and atmosphere to it.

I thought the gameplay was a little wonky. It also seemed a bit rushed.

I'm currently playing Pillars II. Slow at first, it's really picked up and is way fun.

I Want to Believe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1120 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
I've always considered myself a PC Gamer, although I have played a few console games in the past, Resident Evil 1 and 2 on PS, and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I've never been able to get the hang of playing FPS with a controller.

Mostly my PC games have been RPG and FPS. Favourite game of all time is probably Deus Ex on PC, although System Shock 2 was pretty cool too. I also enjoyed Portal 1 and 2. Recently bought a dead Xbox 360 on ebay and repaired it so I could play Rise of the Tomb Raider without having to fork out for enough PC upgrades to run it. Also got a second hand copy of Alien: Isolation.

I don't get anywhere near enough time to play games as much as I used to, maybe one evening every couple of weeks for a couple of hours. So those 2 will probably keep me busy until christmas.

I also play on my phone, although mostly casual games, XCOM Enemy Within ported for android was well worth the 5 on google play store. I played the original XCOM games back in the 90s and it was a great modernisation.

fdhs_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1121 on: June 26, 2018, 06:36:17 AM »
I've always considered myself a PC Gamer, although I have played a few console games in the past, Resident Evil 1 and 2 on PS, and ICO and Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I've never been able to get the hang of playing FPS with a controller.

I have that in common. I've tried playing FPSs on a console but it feels like my character is drunk and wearing concrete shoes compared to using a mouse & keyboard. Speaking of FPSs, I gave Ghost Recon Wildlands a try as Ubisoft had a free trial on their uplay program. It's a 3rd person shooter (a 3PS?), but thankfully allows aiming in first person. I'm still getting used to it, but the gameplay is phenomenal overall.

I'm not sure if MMM has touched on it, and I know he's into owning himself, but I have noticed over the years that renting an apartment gives me a LOT more free time outside of work compared to my house owning co-workers. I'm not sure if I would be playing video games if I had to do yard work and maintenance. I didn't play games for the last two years of highschool while working part time, doing a small time sport (cross country), and doing yard work and maintenance on my parents house. They accidentally convinced me that I don't want a house as an adult. I don't think that's the lesson they were trying to impart while I was mowing, raking leaves, edging driveways, weeding, landscaping, and assisting with the construction of privacy fences, drainage ditches, deck additions, etc but that was my key takeaway.

I got back into gaming after working full time, going to school part time, and not having to worry about the building I lived in after I left work for the day.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1122 on: June 26, 2018, 08:26:41 AM »
I ran a few laps in iRacing last night on a Simcraft Apex3 GT with a VR headset.

Holy crap.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1123 on: June 29, 2018, 08:40:37 AM »
I recently was gifted Dead by Daylight....HOLY CRAP!

It's such a simple game, but if you are playing with a few friends on a voice chat that game is so fun and intense.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1124 on: June 29, 2018, 08:55:35 AM »
Just started playing Diablo III on my PS3.  My addictive personality is really taking over again, kinda scary heh.  Good thing I'm on FMLA for a while!
Oh man I loved D3

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1125 on: June 30, 2018, 06:43:28 AM »
I finally got a NES (they re-re-released them yesterday) at Wal-mart for $60.

I am playing the very first Zelda on it right now.  Very surprised how many things from the later Zelda series are in the first one, especially when the artists only had like 30 pixels to fashion each character.

I do not know how to travel on the lakes and rivers yet though.  I step on the little brown raft like thing but can't get it to move.  Maybe I pick up a outboard motor in a cave?

Blackeagle

• Stubble
« Reply #1126 on: July 06, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »

I am playing the very first Zelda on it right now.  Very surprised how many things from the later Zelda series are in the first one, especially when the artists only had like 30 pixels to fashion each character.

Same here.  Got my NES classic on Monday and I've been playing my way through Zelda since.

I do not know how to travel on the lakes and rivers yet though.  I step on the little brown raft like thing but can't get it to move.  Maybe I pick up a outboard motor in a cave?

There are two items that will let you cross water: the stepladder and the raft.  The stepladder can be used on any water (both in dungeons and the overworld) but it only lets you cross one "square" of water.  The raft lets you cross longer distances, but you can only use it where there's a "dock" (those square things sticking out into the water).  You get the raft in Level 3 and the stepladder in Level 4.

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #1127 on: July 06, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
Started playing Warhammer: Vermintide 2, purchased during the recent Steam sale.  Played a lot of the first on Xbox after it was offered for free last year.  Lots of co-op fun, and plenty of challenge. 

Radiowave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1128 on: July 08, 2018, 07:08:03 PM »
I only play games on PC and these days I pretty much exclusively play Dota 2.  It's free, one game takes about an hour, and it's fun.  I played the original Dota alot with college roommates.  Every now and then we all find the time to log on together and get some games in

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1129 on: July 10, 2018, 07:10:36 AM »
Oh man I loved D3
I thought it was fun to play, but it lost a lot of the equipment collecting aspect of D2. All weapons more or less behaved the same way so it was just a matter of higher number=better. I think the variety of D2 and the complexity of matching the right gear to the right build gave it a lot more replay value.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #1130 on: July 10, 2018, 10:48:39 AM »

Same here.  Got my NES classic on Monday and I've been playing my way through Zelda since.

There are two items that will let you cross water: the stepladder and the raft.  The stepladder can be used on any water (both in dungeons and the overworld) but it only lets you cross one "square" of water.  The raft lets you cross longer distances, but you can only use it where there's a "dock" (those square things sticking out into the water).  You get the raft in Level 3 and the stepladder in Level 4.

I love the nes classic. It cost me about 120 dollars when it got first released and I felt maybe I was splurging a bit on it but I've played it a ton. Now my son is playing Mario on it and I feel it's nice to let this be his first impression of video games instead of ultra graphics ps4 which I feel is still to expensive.

Psychstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: July 10, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
FYI if you are already an Amazon Prime subscriber, they are offering a free game a day to celebrate Prime Day. It's annoying that you have to download the Twich App to access the games, but hey it's Free*.

https://www.twitch.tv/prime

AKA built into the cost of the Prime subscription.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1132 on: July 19, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
After really enjoying Ys Origin and Ys VIII I decided to try another Falcom game, Tokyo Xanadu eX+. I wasn't expecting a lot, but I'm finding it quite fun as well. I'm actually liking it more than Persona 5 (which I dropped after the first arc).

I really like how the battle system rewards honing your skills more than just grinding out more levels. The graphics aren't amazing (it was originally on the Vita), but they are decent and aesthetically consistent. The music is very good. The plot is fine but could be more ambitious.  I am impressed with how much effort went into developing short stories for all the minor NPCs.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1133 on: August 13, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
WoW: Battle for Azeroth launches today at 3pm pacific so I guess I am going down that rabbit hole again.

I am guessing WoW classic will launch next year on the 15th anniversary.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1134 on: August 13, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
Resident Evil 7 in VR. I can only play it for 15-20 minutes at a time as the motion makes me increasingly feel sick but man is the immersion great. Horror + VR = awesome!

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1135 on: August 14, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »
Put together a new gaming rig, total cost was about $850 and I'm splitting the cost with my girlfriend who also wants to use it for photo editing, so I feel like I've been fairly mustachian with it. I haven't had a working gaming PC for 5 or 6 years, so I'm pretty much only going to be playing games that I've missed in that time. This means that I can get them for real cheap on Steam sales- last week I picked up DOOM for $10 and Fallout:NV for $3.

Currently playing Dragon Age 1, then waiting for Dragon Age Inquisition to go on sale before I'll pick that up. I've heard 2 is skippable. Also on my wishlist- Witcher 3, Divinity 2, Bioshock Infinite, the new Wolfenstein games, and Pillars of Eternity 2.

supernovajm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1136 on: August 14, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
Everyone here should check out https://reddit.com/r/patientgamers

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did not go through 23 pages of this thread to check.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1137 on: August 14, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
Everyone here should check out https://reddit.com/r/patientgamers

Sorry if this has been posted before. I did not go through 23 pages of this thread to check.

ooo, nice! I also just stumbled across https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/ which might be helpful for anything that might have slipped through the cracks of my wishlists.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1138 on: August 14, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »
I don't play as much as I like...about 4 hours a month.   RE would definitely solve that.... I'd like to play 4 hours per week.

Currently playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided.  Its taking a long time since I enjoy doing all the side missions and then there's that 4hrs a month thing.

I enjoyed the recent Tomb Raiders as well.  I play about 2 games per year, so I have an endless backlog.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1139 on: August 14, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »
Is Mankind Divided worth picking up? The original Deus Ex is one of my favorite games ever, and I already have Human Revolution on deck to play that I'm super excited about.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: August 14, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
Is Mankind Divided worth picking up? The original Deus Ex is one of my favorite games ever, and I already have Human Revolution on deck to play that I'm super excited about.

I liked Human Revolution an will probably end up getting Mankind Divided this Thanksgiving (probably ~ $10 or so).

I'll also probably pick up Shadow of War (another sequel to a game I really enjoyed the original) this TG too.

As for now, I'm playing Horizon (with the DLC) and I also picked up Metal Gear Solid 5 on a digital sale recently.

I had intended to preorder the final chapter of TellTale's walking dead (which came with all of the previous series in the pre-order), but I don't think that's available now that it's actually come out. I thought the pre-order was a reasonable idea because I hadn't played it since season 2. Now, I'll wait for it to go on sale.

Roboturner

• Bristles
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1141 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
pretty unreasonably excited for FO76. Been playing FO4 again.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1142 on: August 22, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
Replaying the original Suikoden (mostly for an endgame save to use on Suiko 2, but for the game itself too).

Arbitrage

• Stubble
« Reply #1143 on: August 22, 2018, 12:55:51 PM »
Xbox One had a slew of good games for free this past month, so that's what I'm putting my time into now that I'm back from a wonderful vacation in a potential ER destination (Bellingham).

Forza Horizon 2
Dead Space 3 (played this in the past; it's not as good as the previous two by any means, but I still feel like giving it another playthrough)
For Honor - haven't actually tried it yet, but always wanted to and the reviews weren't good enough to merit a purchase.  For free, though, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Also still occasionally playing Warframe and Warhammer: Vermintide 2. 

Looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2.  Going to purchase it at full price, but I feel it'll be worth it to play online with friends.  Since that's probably only 2 full price games all year long (nothing else on my radar), I'm not going to worry too much.