Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 98992 times)

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #850 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Finally FINALLY finished FFXV this past weekend, and no spoilers, but I spent the next three days crying after the ending.   I'm still tearing up when I think about certain scenes and listen to some songs.  There were a lot of things (A LOT of things)  about that game that, if I were the director with unlimited resources, I would have changed or tweaked, but there's no denying the emotional impact of the game and its characters, that's for sure.

I kind of want to play something fun and funny to lift up my spirits now... any recommendations for someone with a gaming PC, PS2, PS3, and PS4?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #851 on: March 30, 2017, 04:05:11 PM »
Finally FINALLY finished FFXV this past weekend, and no spoilers, but I spent the next three days crying after the ending.   I'm still tearing up when I think about certain scenes and listen to some songs.  There were a lot of things (A LOT of things)  about that game that, if I were the director with unlimited resources, I would have changed or tweaked, but there's no denying the emotional impact of the game and its characters, that's for sure.

I kind of want to play something fun and funny to lift up my spirits now... any recommendations for someone with a gaming PC, PS2, PS3, and PS4?

Try Portal 1 or 2! Excellent change of pace and quite humorous.

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #852 on: March 30, 2017, 04:22:51 PM »

Try Portal 1 or 2! Excellent change of pace and quite humorous.

You have excellent taste, and apparently so do I, as I have actually played them both and loved them.  Portal 2, especially, I'm a little shocked they were able to capture so much of the fun from the first game! :3

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #853 on: March 31, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together are pretty fun games. They are pretty difficult and can be quite frustrating though!
“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”

Yvon Chouinard

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: March 31, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
Just ordered Persona 5 based on my buddy's recommendation to try the Persona games. I'm not thrilled with a $48 purchase but I will easily resell the game on Amazon if I don't like it.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #855 on: April 04, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »

Wow ! I have heard it's as good if not better than FF7 but I (for whatever reason) bought it right after it came out. Played it for about 3-4 hrs - did some chocobo racing and basically haven't picked it up since. Being an adult and what not makes it hard to just pick up and play this game...meh maybe I'm just too old for videogames now?!?

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #856 on: April 04, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »

Wow ! I have heard it's as good if not better than FF7 but I (for whatever reason) bought it right after it came out. Played it for about 3-4 hrs - did some chocobo racing and basically haven't picked it up since. Being an adult and what not makes it hard to just pick up and play this game...meh maybe I'm just too old for videogames now?!?

I actually haven't played FFVII, so I can't compare.  I'd say if you like the open world, ramble around, do whatever mechanic, you'll definitely enjoy the first part of the game, and the second part is much more linear and stays strictly on-plot.  That said, the game is best enjoyed having spent a lot of time hanging around and doing whatever in the beginning before proceeding.  It took me nearly 4 months to finish the game too, while I had friends who beat it the weekend they got it... it's been hard making time for games now that I'm an adult and have so many other things to focus on, but I'm glad I made time for this one.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #857 on: April 04, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »
I hadn't played any games in over a year, but I found myself laid up on the couch all weekend with a bum foot, and I was reminded what a pleasant distraction they can be in such situations. As it happens, I had long ago bought the first two Mass Effect games on Steam sale, but never got around to playing them. Given that the new one just came out, I figured it was the perfect time to try the earlier installments!

AFAICT (and please correct me if I'm wrong), neither ME1 or 2 support a game controller on the PC version. Which kind of sucks since for normal (non-gaming) input, I'm rocking a long-range wireless keyboard/trackpad combo (only thing that works well from the couch).

Fortunately these two games are playable with the trackpad (unlike some others where the mouse sensitivity seems to be completely off the charts). ME1 even has a setting to increase the "targetting assist" so that my clumsy swiping gets me close enough to actually hit something!

However, ME2 is a bit more "shooter-y" and requires more precision; so far my "soldier" character is being seriously out-classed in combat by his techy squad-mates. And at least one of the mini-games ("bypass") turns out to be practically un-playable, due to a very short timeout when trying to select a second item. I'm getting by so far, but I may have to see if I still have the older mouse/keyboard setup I used before I moved the the current combo device...

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #858 on: April 14, 2017, 02:50:38 AM »
I finally caved in and bought a PS4 bundle that included Horizon Zero Dawn. The game looks awesome @ 4K and HDR and I'm really enjoying the game play as much as everyone has been raving about.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: April 14, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Have been playing Persona 5 and it's really good. Long game...over 100 hours per play through. It's possible to get into even if you haven't played the other Persona games.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #860 on: April 17, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
I finished Shadows of Mordor.  I may pick back up on The Last of Us -- I haven't finished it yet and it's been quite a while.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #861 on: April 18, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
Hitman - ps4 - great game especially for 20 bucks !

Never played any of the other games or watched the movies for that matter.

Seems pretty well thought out though. Not exactly metal gear solid level of stealth type of game fun but still enjoyable.

sw1tch

• Stubble
« Reply #862 on: April 20, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »
Playing an old one that I got for free sometime ago (I really have no idea when I got this but it was in my steam account):

Realms of the Haunting

Controls are really wonky as this was a pre WASD and mouse movement first-person game, but it has been pretty fun.  The graphics and FMV/acting are pretty hilarious but there's decent enough atmosphere.
<|> My Strava <|>

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #863 on: April 20, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
In case anyone missed it - starcraft is free. Many, many days were wasted playing this game when I was younger. So much fun in the custom games

https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #864 on: April 30, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
Mario Kart for the switch showed up in the mailbox this weekend.

Vindicated

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #865 on: May 01, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »

I'm so jealous.  I need to get a used Wii or something to get my Mario fix.  Not prepared to splurge for a Switch :)

----

In other news, I finally hit 110 in WoW.  It took a while, but I didn't rush through anything.  Now I get to learn end-game content and try to gear up.  Though, the PvP is still fun with crappy gear with the changes they made.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #866 on: May 01, 2017, 08:30:03 AM »

I'm so jealous.  I need to get a used Wii or something to get my Mario fix.  Not prepared to splurge for a Switch :)

When I bought my Wii U in came bundled with Mario Kart 8 and all the DLC. It's a very good game.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #867 on: May 03, 2017, 08:09:08 AM »
After 200 hours, I think I'm done with Breath of the Wild until the DLC hits. I picked up Snipperclips but didn't love it and have only played an hour or so. Now I'm looking forward to Mario this winter and hopefully some SNES, N64, and Gamecube games in the meantime. I guess it'd be cool if the system got some more 3rd party support, but if I'm being honest, I'm really only interested in Nintendo games.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #868 on: May 03, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
After 200 hours, I think I'm done with Breath of the Wild until the DLC hits. I picked up Snipperclips but didn't love it and have only played an hour or so. Now I'm looking forward to Mario this winter and hopefully some SNES, N64, and Gamecube games in the meantime. I guess it'd be cool if the system got some more 3rd party support, but if I'm being honest, I'm really only interested in Nintendo games.

Woah, 200 hours?? It looks so good! Can't wait to play BoTW.

OneCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #869 on: May 14, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
In case anyone missed it - starcraft is free. Many, many days were wasted playing this game when I was younger. So much fun in the custom games

https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20674424

Ahhh the memories!
I refinanced my student loans with Sofi from 6.8% to 3.805%.  Use my referral URL for a $100 welcome bonus if you refinance with Sofi:  https://www.sofi.com/refer/234/11233

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #870 on: May 14, 2017, 10:45:23 PM »
I just played through  10 second Ninja which was actually pretty fun (& frustrating) - it was free last month with a PS subscription. Gonna try out Type:Rider this month because I'm definitely the kind of person who wants to learn more about the history of fonts through a video game. Also, might play Lego Star Wars on XBox.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: May 15, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Overwatch's 1 year anniversary is coming up and let me say it's one of the best value games I've ever played. A year has gone by and I have just as much fun playing as I did initially.

farmecologist

• Stubble
« Reply #872 on: May 15, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »
Overwatch's 1 year anniversary is coming up and let me say it's one of the best value games I've ever played. A year has gone by and I have just as much fun playing as I did initially.

Interesting...I tried it and honestly don't see the appeal of it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #873 on: May 15, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »
Still stuck in the dota 2 phase mostly here. Hell of a learning curve but if you overcome it, it provides unlimited entertainment for free (as long as you can refrain from buying the optional cosmetics anyway!). Also been enjoying programming oriented puzzle games as well. Human Resource Machine and TIS-100 are both pretty great and can be had quite cheap on sale.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #874 on: May 16, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »

Interesting...I tried it and honestly don't see the appeal of it.

It is much much more appealing playing with friends because it's a completely team-based game. That's a major caveat.

ptobeast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #875 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
Is anyone else playing Playerunknown Battlegrounds? As a Hunger Games fan, I like the concept of the game, though it can be very tedious at points as it can sometimes take forever to find other players (or for other players to find you).

I also recently started playing Stardew Valley. I really enjoyed it at first, but am now at the point of "I am running around trying to be friends with these characters instead of trying to be friends with people in real life", soo I had to take a break from it. Same reason I had to stop playing the Sims awhile back.

And, my most recent game discovery: if you are at work and want a nice 5 minute break, I highly recommend splix.io.

Cezilous

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #876 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Is anyone else playing Playerunknown Battlegrounds? As a Hunger Games fan, I like the concept of the game, though it can be very tedious at points as it can sometimes take forever to find other players (or for other players to find you).

I cannot wait to finally buy and play this game!  We watched Battle Royale a few weeks ago before we even found this game..so I will wear my shirt for Girl #3 when I eventually get to play it.  Hopefully soon..

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #877 on: May 18, 2017, 05:08:17 AM »
I just bought the Guild Collection Bundle off of steam (four games for $5 currently). Played the first one for an hour last night (took nearly that long to get through the tutorial), and it seems like it could be a super fun game if I can get it to work. It seems they've made updates to gameplay, but didn't update the tutorial, so it's been a bit tricky to figure out. I'm home sick today, so I think I'll have some time to figure it out.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: May 18, 2017, 10:19:31 AM »
anyone tried astroneer?  I saw a brief video on it.  It sort of looks like space minecraft?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #879 on: May 18, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
Oh man, that game "Astroneer" is making me want to get a cheap PC more and more! I have not bought a console in years. The more I consider games, the more I think getting a PC is the way to go. Especially since you get so many more games for so cheap (when on sale).

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #880 on: May 26, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Steam Sale!

Don't Starve: $3.74
Don't Starve Together: 9.74
Don't Starve Bundle (including two DLC): 12.21

Fallout 4: 19.79

Couple of other good deals too.

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #881 on: May 26, 2017, 03:05:04 PM »
I think don't starve is an insanely fun game, but it's an either love it or hate it type of game.
“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”

Yvon Chouinard

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #882 on: May 27, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
While visiting my brother I played through Limbo and Inside.  Those are two great games!
"Of my fifty-seven years I have applied at least thirty to forgetting most of what I had learned or read, and since I succeeded in this I have acquired a certain ease and cheer which I should never again like to be without."  World Chess Champion Emanuel Lasker

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #883 on: May 27, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »
Recently downloaded Fallout Shelter mobile edition. Super fun game and done a lot better than I had thought. As a fan of the Fallout series, I would highly recommend it to other fans since there is a lot of stuff you'll dig.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:46 AM »
Thanks to a hacker who got into my Origin account and bought the only free thing he/she could because I never let websites remember my credit card details, I've been playing and enjoying Syberia II. My account is now properly secured and I am grateful to my hacker for his/her serendipitous addition to my game collection.

caffeine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #885 on: May 30, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
I got the new Friday the 13th game on PC/Steam. It's a blast! I wasted a lot of hours this holiday weekend playing it. If anyone is interested in getting a good group together, send me a PM :)

A game starts with a full game being 9 people. Each gets to pick their preference of Jason (from which movie he came from) and one of the consolers (from the movies). Who is Jason is randomly determined. Consolers try to survive 20 minutes, escape, or kill Jason.

Tons of fun!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 31, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
Fallout shelter is a good mobile game.  It seems simple but has a surprising amount of depth with crafting and quests.