Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780920 times)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1150 on: December 14, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »
I'm currently immersed in RDR2 on Xbox One X, which I just recently upgraded to. I am often left speechless at how good this game looks and sounds. And now the story itself is starting to pull me in. I have played this till 2:30am a couple of times during the middle of the week - it's one of those games that actually makes it difficult to put the controller down. I'm only about 20% into the main storyline, and in an attempt to make this game last, I tend to just wander the HUGE world map, hunting, interacting with wildlife (hunting) and randomly scattered characters (gunfights, robbing, looting). Sometimes I'll position myself, on my horse, at the top of a hill and just wait for sunrise...which leaves me slack jawed every time.

Very pleased with the Xbox One X purchase. Another benefit of the console is that there are a ton of "Xbox One X Enhanced" games, such as Witcher 3 that are greatly improved graphically on this console...closely matching powerful PC's on maxed out settings. I'll probably play through Witcher 3 again at some point just to experience the enhanced graphical fidelity.

MilStachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1151 on: December 14, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Wanted to share something I've been going through to see if I'm the only one.

In high school and college I was an avid gamer.  MMORPGs, RPGs, RTS, you name it (although never a huge fan of FPS).

For the last two years, I can't seem to stick with a game.  After an hour or so, I'm absolutely bored and need to do something else. 

I love the idea of getting pulled into a game like I used to...but I can't.  I'll read a review, get pumped, start playing, and about an hour later...bleh.  What gives?  (I'm 32, for those wondering). 

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1152 on: December 14, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »
Super Mario Bros

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1153 on: December 15, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
I just started playing my old copies of "Dungeons & Dragons Heroes" and "Star Wars Battlefront II" on my old original XBox system and they are great because they are still fun to play, you can play with up to four people simultaneously, plus online play is completely free when using XLink Kai. Completely unnecessary to invest in modern gaming equipment.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1154 on: December 15, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
I picked up Pokémon Go again and made a new account after losing my old login shortly after the initial release. It’s nice, free, and gets me outdoors a bit more. I did do a meetup this morning and actually ran into someone I know! So that was fun.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1155 on: December 15, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »

In high school and college I was an avid gamer.  MMORPGs, RPGs, RTS, you name it (although never a huge fan of FPS).

For the last two years, I can't seem to stick with a game.  After an hour or so, I'm absolutely bored and need to do something else. 

I love the idea of getting pulled into a game like I used to...but I can't.  I'll read a review, get pumped, start playing, and about an hour later...bleh.  What gives?  (I'm 32, for those wondering).
Definitely not the only one. I used to game for HOURS at a time and now get bored of the game entirely as soon as  I’ve put a little bit of time into it. It’s frustrating since this used to be a big escape for me.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1156 on: December 15, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
(Duplicate post)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1157 on: December 15, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
Onrush PS4+ freebie. Got 15 hours play before encountering grindsville and losing interest, but was great fun up until then. A very different style of vehicle racing.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1158 on: December 16, 2018, 04:36:45 AM »
I'm currently immersed in RDR2 on Xbox One X, which I just recently upgraded to. I am often left speechless at how good this game looks and sounds. And now the story itself is starting to pull me in. I have played this till 2:30am a couple of times during the middle of the week - it's one of those games that actually makes it difficult to put the controller down. I'm only about 20% into the main storyline, and in an attempt to make this game last, I tend to just wander the HUGE world map, hunting, interacting with wildlife (hunting) and randomly scattered characters (gunfights, robbing, looting). Sometimes I'll position myself, on my horse, at the top of a hill and just wait for sunrise...which leaves me slack jawed every time.

Very pleased with the Xbox One X purchase. Another benefit of the console is that there are a ton of "Xbox One X Enhanced" games, such as Witcher 3 that are greatly improved graphically on this console...closely matching powerful PC's on maxed out settings. I'll probably play through Witcher 3 again at some point just to experience the enhanced graphical fidelity.

I upgraded to the One X and am playing Forza Horizon 4.  Oh wow what a beautiful game in 4K!  RDR2 is on my list, just waiting for the price to drop a bit.  I've been watching folks play it on Mixer and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Chris-93AUS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1159 on: December 16, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
First time in off-topic, but is it cool to share steam names / gamer tags here?

I'm always looking for people to play with on a variety of games :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1160 on: December 17, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
Any thoughts on Witcher 3 complete for $27CAD?

I am generally an RPG player, I'm just not entirely sure this particular game is for me. I think I played the first hour or two of Witcher 1 or 2 a while back.

I played Dragon Age Inquisition and finished it but didn't love it (and I started playing again, and loved it less), as an example of a 'great' RPG I just wasn't into. I much prefer the older turn based stuff, especially if it's streamlined and fast. Liiiike... Suikoden II, haha.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1161 on: December 17, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

I am generally an RPG player, I'm just not entirely sure this particular game is for me. I think I played the first hour or two of Witcher 1 or 2 a while back.

I played Dragon Age Inquisition and finished it but didn't love it (and I started playing again, and loved it less), as an example of a 'great' RPG I just wasn't into. I much prefer the older turn based stuff, especially if it's streamlined and fast. Liiiike... Suikoden II, haha.

I haven't played it myself but I've watched my wife play almost the entire game. Overall it's a good game but the loading times are infuriating. If you're the kind of person that wants to reload your save to try different options or if you play risky and die occasionally or if you fast travel a lot then the load times are going to really suck the joy out of the game. The game also has a ridiculous amount of side quests and stuff to explore. This can be both good and bad. Also, it is really not feasible to grind for levels as the vast majority of experience comes from quests/story. So if you find part of the game too difficult it can't realistically be overcome by just farming enemy kills for a while.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1162 on: December 17, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »

I haven't played it myself but I've watched my wife play almost the entire game. Overall it's a good game but the loading times are infuriating. If you're the kind of person that wants to reload your save to try different options or if you play risky and die occasionally or if you fast travel a lot then the load times are going to really suck the joy out of the game. The game also has a ridiculous amount of side quests and stuff to explore. This can be both good and bad. Also, it is really not feasible to grind for levels as the vast majority of experience comes from quests/story. So if you find part of the game too difficult it can't realistically be overcome by just farming enemy kills for a while.

Thanks - which platform was she playing on? I'll be taking my PS4 with me to the UK... I was considering upgrading the 1Tb HDD to an SSD, actually, not sure how much that would help, though I imagine it *should* help quite a lot!

Do you have any comparisons with the load times - eg, vs Final Fantasy XV, say?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1163 on: December 17, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »

Thanks - which platform was she playing on? I'll be taking my PS4 with me to the UK... I was considering upgrading the 1Tb HDD to an SSD, actually, not sure how much that would help, though I imagine it *should* help quite a lot!

She was playing on the PS4. I recall having wait times over 1 minute. I dropped Final Fantasy XV pretty early on because I couldn't stand it but I don't remember it having noticeable load times, at least not in comparison to The Witcher 3.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1164 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »

She was playing on the PS4. I recall having wait times over 1 minute. I dropped Final Fantasy XV pretty early on because I couldn't stand it but I don't remember it having noticeable load times, at least not in comparison to The Witcher 3.

A minute? Oh wow. Ok, I'll keep on giving it a miss then, thanks.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1165 on: December 17, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »

Yeah, it was quite bad.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/73061640
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71830707
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/36ltx7/load_times_after_dying_way_too_long_in_witcher_3/
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-witcher-3-loading-time.71952/

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1166 on: December 17, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
I'm currently going through the Legend of Zelda console games in order. Right now I'm on Majora's Mask. Before that I was doing the Final Fantasy games, but gave up halfway through 8.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1167 on: December 17, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
Witcher 3 wait times were not bad at all on my modestly ok PC with an SSD.

#pcmasterrace

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1168 on: December 18, 2018, 02:59:26 AM »
Witcher 3 wait times were not bad at all on my modestly ok PC with an SSD.

#pcmasterrace

Here too, I didn't notice anything particularly problematic.

I recently bought an open box refurbished GTX 1080 at Microcenter -- finally replaced my 4yo GTX 970. If anybody wants a GTX 970, I'll make you a deal! :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1169 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
PC vs PS4 - thing is, I'm moving back to the UK in two weeks, and it is a lot easier for me to take my PS4 than my PC. I'm not even sure what I'll do with the PC, probably dismantle it and take everything but the case... Not til next year sometime though.

Not sure. I'd like to pick something meaty up for the PS4, I have about $38 CAD of credit.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1170 on: December 18, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »

Same. Granted, I don't play a lot of games in general outside of gaming with friends online. I picked up RDR2 with high hopes and while there are some amazing moments, the game is far too linear for me and the open world "survival" aspects add absolutely nothing to the game. It's too time consuming and doesn't feel like I'm actually in control of anything.

I really like NakeyJakey and he did an excellent overview as to what's wrong with Rockstar games. But I think this applies to a lot of other games as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos&t=5s

I'm basically done with buying 40+ hour games. It just gets too tedious and repetitive and starts to feel like work. Not trying to sound like another book snob, but I'd rather just read a long book for story and I'd rather watch a movie for great visuals/story. Gaming tries to combine both and sometimes when it magically comes together it's absolutely amazing and incredible like with Breath of the Wild. I think the problem though is thinking AAA games that are built for the masses are going to be right for you.

Certain games do certainly pull me in. Stardew Valley was amazing. There was some bridge building game that had Portal vibes I can't remember but was amazing as well. I generally like puzzle games a lot. So yeah, maybe you're playing the wrong games and haven't really found your niche. You've changed as a person but I can guarantee there's no such thing as getting too old for games.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1171 on: December 18, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
PC vs PS4 - thing is, I'm moving back to the UK in two weeks, and it is a lot easier for me to take my PS4 than my PC. I'm not even sure what I'll do with the PC, probably dismantle it and take everything but the case... Not til next year sometime though.

Not sure. I'd like to pick something meaty up for the PS4, I have about $38 CAD of credit.

I've heard good things about Horizon Zero Dawn but haven't tried it yet. I'd suggest Ys VIII but it looks like it might be a bit above your credit amount. If you like tactical RPGs you should look at Disgaea 5. If you have any interest whatsoever in platformers you must play Celeste, it's an incredible game.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #1172 on: December 18, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »
I'm deep in RDR2. I kinda like the aimless downtime in it. Shoot up a town, then go fishing for a while. Or just ride around on my horse until the spirit moves me to rob someone. I can see how the game would grate on many folks, though.
Also mixing in a little Need For Speed Payback. I have an embarrassingly long list of games to get to at some point.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1173 on: December 20, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »

Yeah, it was quite bad.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/36ltx7/load_times_after_dying_way_too_long_in_witcher_3/
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-witcher-3-loading-time.71952/

I played Witcher 3 on PS4 and wait times were bad.

It was much worse at the beginning of the game when I was dying more. It wasn't nearly as much of an issue mid to late game when I'd learned how to do combat much better.

Loved the game despite the wait times. One of the best games I've ever played.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1174 on: December 20, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »

Yeah, it was quite bad.

I played Witcher 3 on PS4 and wait times were bad.

It was much worse at the beginning of the game when I was dying more. It wasn't nearly as much of an issue mid to late game when I'd learned how to do combat much better.

Loved the game despite the wait times. One of the best games I've ever played.

$27 CAD, ok, I'll give it a whirl.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #1175 on: December 20, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
Played Witcher 3 with both expansions when they were just released.
Started my 2nd playthrough this year, just completed first dlc yesterday.

It is a masterpiece, and expansions are even better than the main game in my opinion. The story, the side quests, the combat (play on "Blood and Broken bones" difficulty), the music.

Just don't rush it and enjoy, and explore, and immerse, read the bestiary, brew your potions and apply oils on blades. The story does start a bit slow but I think it was meant that way. It becomes much more intense later.

About the difficulty. There're 4 levels: easy, normal, harder, hard.
Choose the "harder" (Blood and Broken bones), anything easier and you will not need neither alchemy, nor oils, and won't need to prepare for the hard fights (witcher contracts). They meant to be a bit harder than your normal pack of wolves. And alchemy is a big part of Witcher lore.

If you're afraid of dying, then invest points into the active shield that regenerates health when you take damage. It will save you a lot.

On easy difficulty levels you can kill everybody with pressing just 1 button. It will become boring.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:27:56 AM by beee »

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #1176 on: December 21, 2018, 01:20:14 AM »
Bought a second hand 3ds one year ago and scavenged the second hand websites to buy and resell after playing , sometime even at a profit (!). Nice thing of 3ds game is they fit into a normal letter and have very low shipping cost. It has been almost as fun as playing the game. The 3ds is for me the best console on the market for price/quality/portability/game library relationship.
Tons of great DS and 3ds games.

It fits in my pocket, you can easily pause games by closing the lid... Always with me on train etc. Battery no issue, great for plane flights.... Chargeable from a any USB port.. Very durable and resistant. And dirty cheap.

Sent from my Hisense A2T using Tapatalk

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1177 on: December 27, 2018, 02:02:03 AM »
Hubs and I picked up a couple of indy early-access games during the Steam Winter Sale: Book of Demons and Slay the Spire. Both fun, but StS has a lot more replayability.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1178 on: December 27, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
Couple of weeks off from work - playing:
1. RDR2
2. Dead Cells
3. Deep Rock Galactic

Fun times - except for the sick kid I'm caring for as well :/

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1179 on: December 27, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
Diablo 2! Always playing it off and on.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1180 on: December 27, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
I got Atelier Firis for Christmas. So far it has definitely exceeded my expectations. I really like the portable atelier so I don't have to keep making return trips to home base. It helps make the game feel more like you're on a continuous journey.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1181 on: December 27, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission. Best VR game I've played yet!

Also, Jurassic Park Evolution for PC. Picked this up on sale for $20 and got 36 hours out of it before finishing all the missions, so much less than my value benchmark of $1 an hour for entertainment. Beautiful graphics and animations.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:05:54 PM by Ozstache »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1182 on: January 04, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
Currently play Dark Souls.  I'm a big fan of souls games but I never actually ventured into the souls series.  Platinumed Bloodborne and beat Demon's Souls and Nioh on NG+ and just now diving into Lordran!

I'm also a fan of soulsborne games! I'm playing DS3 right now. Nioh and Bloodborne were my first ones. I was excited about Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice until I saw it was more a stealth action game with no RPG stat elements.

I platinumed Dark Souls Remastered.  Loved it.  I'm doing Dark Souls 2 now.  Its good but I was more immersed into the first one. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1183 on: January 21, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »
I have started playing through Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (PS4). This is my third copy of Vesperia. I got all the achievements on the Xbox 360 version nearly a decade ago. Then I tried playing the PS3 version (Japanese import) and got pretty far (maybe 20% into the story?) despite taking forever translating stuff.

I am enjoying playing the game again and not stopping for a couple minutes every other line to translate. Vesperia is still my favorite Tales game.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1184 on: January 22, 2019, 09:09:27 PM »
Just finished A Story About My Uncle, which was free on Steam, and quite enjoyed the jumping and swinging that the game entails.

I also just completed Yakuza Kiwami, a fighting style game I would not normally play but was a free game on PS+. It was quite cheesy at times and the fighting got a bit monotonous but the story was quite engaging and enjoyable.

Next up Steep, another freeby (see a pattern here?)

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1185 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »
If you guys like free games, Epic Games Launcher gives a free game away each week (I don't for how long).  Right now its What Remains of Edith Finch which I hear is a very good game.  You only have another day to grab it.  The other game I got from them was Subnautica, which I hear is good but I dont have alot of interest in it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:33:47 PM by OneCoolCat »

Bayou Dweller

• Stubble
  • Spend less. Live more. SWAMI.
    • Just Stop Spending
« Reply #1186 on: January 23, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »
Recently forked over $20 for Overwatch to play with a bunch of friends. It's been great. The game was allegedly half off, but it's probably just BS advertising.

I've played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on and off since it came out in 2011. And I've also played cs 1.6 and cs:go on and off forever. Talk about bang for your buck!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1187 on: January 23, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
I got Fallout 76 on a half-price sale and have been playing it for around 2 weeks. I love the resource gathering, as well as the mission aspect of the game.

@GoingToMaine I still have my original PS2 and God of War was one of my all time favorite games. A buddy I play Fallout with says they have all the prior God of War games on one disc for PS4...so I'll be on the lookout for that
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:12:19 PM by brandon1827 »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1188 on: January 23, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
Playing Let’s Go, Eevee for the Switch. I’ve already put over 100 hours into the game. I enjoy hunting for shiny Pokémon, it’s got a very zen aspect to it like I imagine I’d get from fishing. Once I grow tired of this game (which doesn’t seem to be happening any time soon!) I’ll start on another. I have a few coworkers with Switch consoles, and since game data is now saved onto the console and not cartridge, I can borrow/trade games without worrying about anyone’s save data.

Maybe not the most Mustachian gaming, but it’s already gotten lots of use. My goal is to have an eventual overall cost of about $.10/hour plus whatever electricity it uses. I’m sure this will happen in the next two years, especially with a new Pokémon and Animal Crossing coming out later this year.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1189 on: January 24, 2019, 07:02:34 AM »
My son got a Switch from his grandmother for Christmas but hasn't been very interested in it yet. I love the concept (and that I didn't have to buy it, lol) but I'm not sure why he's not into it.

@lexde What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

In general, I think if you can purchase the console at a deep discount or get it as a gift, playing games on that would be an inexpensive hobby...especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. Not as cheap as reading a book or riding a bike, but if you're a gamer and really enjoy that as a primary form of entertainment, it seems to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of costs once the console is out of the way.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #1190 on: January 24, 2019, 08:34:20 AM »
I mostly play mobile games since they are generally setup to pop in and out in short bursts and that's all I really have in terms of time to game, but even that is limited to a few games - Pokemon Go and a wrestling game called "80's Mania Wrestling Returns", which is a (digital) card based game where all of the wrestlers are spoofs of either 80's wrestlers or pop culture icons. Its quite a bit of fun.

The last game I was playing on an actual system was Zelda - Twilight Princess for Wii, but I haven't touched it since the summer.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1191 on: January 24, 2019, 08:38:07 AM »
I'm mostly a retro gamer.  That hobby isn't as cheap as it used to be but I've been finding good value in systems that are sort of middle aged.  They're old but not quite or just barely considered "retro."

For example, I picked up a PS2 with about 40 games for $45 the other day.  So I've been playing bits and pieces of all of those games.  I used to have a PS2 back in the day, so I'm reliving old favorites like GTA: Vice City, God of War, and some of the racing and wrestling games.  I need to get a decent controller for it as the one it came with is aftermarket junk, but everything else is great and exactly as I remember.

My kid wanted a Switch for xmas.  He had a lot of faith in Santa because he used his own money to go out and buy a game for it about two weeks before xmas day.  He got the switch, but he also got a whole retro gaming center containing all the old systems that have somehow survived all my moves (NES, SNES, PS2, XBox360, Wii, and there's an N64 around here somewhere that I can't currently put my hands on) plus one of those gaming chairs that DH picked up cheap somewhere and mulit colored lightstrips.  He...could care less about the retro games, but is absolutely glued to the Switch. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 08:40:31 AM by Sugaree »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1192 on: January 24, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
My son got a Switch from his grandmother for Christmas but hasn't been very interested in it yet. I love the concept (and that I didn't have to buy it, lol) but I'm not sure why he's not into it.

@lexde What's the most inexpensive way you've found to get good games for it if you don't have lots of friends with that system?

In general, I think if you can purchase the console at a deep discount or get it as a gift, playing games on that would be an inexpensive hobby...especially when compared to other forms of entertainment. Not as cheap as reading a book or riding a bike, but if you're a gamer and really enjoy that as a primary form of entertainment, it seems to be on the lower end of the scale in terms of costs once the console is out of the way.
It’s tough, because that console and it’s games retain a LOT of their value. Even with used games I have trouble finding them for less than $50. Swapping is the way to go if you can. I do not recommend getting digital copies of games ever.

If not, you can always buy used on OfferUp and see if anyone is willing to trade or haggle a bit. It’ll still be around $50, but the bigger titles (Pokémon, Mario Kart, etc.) are definitely worth it just in how expansive they are and how much gameplay you can expect to get out of it.

Depending on his age, you may just want to look through demos and download those. I know a 5 year old with a 30-second attention span. I downloaded 5 or so demos, which is enough to play for about 10-15 minutes, and that’s all she needs. Super glad I didn’t drop $150 on a few games for her...

The flip side of retaining value is that you can always sell games that didn’t go over well or that you’ve played to death and still get a decent return to apply somewhere else. As with all games, sell on eBay/OfferUp and keep the case if you can. You can buy and resell for about the same price.

Sorry I don’t have a better answer! If you still work, you can always ask coworkers (with kids?) if they have a switch. A lot of my coworkers are around my age (mid-20s to mid-30s) and so there are 4 of us who can swap games, which makes it a lot more fun. It doesn’t have to be your SON’s friends with the games! :-)

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1193 on: January 24, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »

Start monitoring reddit.com/r/nintendoswitchdeals. There are deals to be had, but for AAA games, $45 is probably the best you will do outside of Black Friday or maybe an E3 sale. Being patient helps.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1194 on: January 24, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »

Start monitoring reddit.com/r/nintendoswitchdeals. There are deals to be had, but for AAA games, $45 is probably the best you will do outside of Black Friday or maybe an E3 sale. Being patient helps.
I didn’t know about this, thanks!

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1195 on: January 24, 2019, 02:28:17 PM »
I hadn't heard of that either, so thanks!

My son is 9 and is in love with Pixel Gun, Roblox, and other ipad-based games. His grandmother got him the switch along with Mario Cart, Splatoon 2, and RBI Baseball. I thought he'd be all over it, but has barely played any of those games at all, and has instead continued to play his old iPad games. He has a few friends with the Switch at school, but they don't really borrow/exchange games with each other.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1196 on: January 27, 2019, 06:06:58 AM »
Couldn't get in to Witcher 3 for some reason, after a few hours playing.

I picked up a copy of Ni No Kuni 2, and I'm about 4-5 hours in to that now. Not quite my cup of tea but it's ok.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1197 on: January 27, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »

I picked up a copy of Ni No Kuni 2, and I'm about 4-5 hours in to that now. Not quite my cup of tea but it's ok.

Did you play the first Ni No Kuni?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1198 on: January 27, 2019, 10:03:31 AM »

No, I never had a PS3. It is immensely frustrating to me that the kind of games I like are rare, and usually end up being one or two per platform per generation. So, I emulated Xenoblade Chronicles with Dolphin (and then bought the DS version), and absolutely loved it; I then bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X. And then... they brought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 out on the Switch. Rage, seriously. So, I have not as yet bought a Switch.

So far on my PS4 I have completed one game (Final Fantasy XV).

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1199 on: January 27, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

No, I never had a PS3. It is immensely frustrating to me that the kind of games I like are rare, and usually end up being one or two per platform per generation. So, I emulated Xenoblade Chronicles with Dolphin (and then bought the DS version), and absolutely loved it; I then bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X. And then... they brought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 out on the Switch. Rage, seriously. So, I have not as yet bought a Switch.

So far on my PS4 I have completed one game (Final Fantasy XV).

I had a friend lend me the original Ni No Kuni but I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure it's a great game but I didn't care for the protagonist, the battle system, or the chain quests. I've ignored the second game because I figured I needed to play the first for it to make sense, but maybe that is not the case.

That is definitely a weak point of console platforms. You miss out on a lot of games if you skip a generation. And some franchises even require you to buy handhelds in addition to consoles to play all the main games. I also bought a Wii U primarily for Xenoblade X. The first Xenoblade was a much better game though. I've played through that three times now. I don't think I'll be getting a Switch in the near future though. Xenoblade 2 just doesn't look quite as appealing. Seems like too much of a gacha game with the BLADE system.

I believe I have reached the point where I have more games for the PS4 than any platform before it. I have been really satisfied with the game selection. I currently count 22 games and we have 4 more on preorder. I have beaten 13 of those so far. Funnily Final Fantasy XV is one of the few I didn't like and stopped playing pretty early on.