Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 246478 times)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1150 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
Red dead redemption 2 worth the money for sure !

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #1151 on: November 15, 2018, 06:29:02 PM »

Same; my second full-price game purchase this year.  Actually haven't played in a bit due to company (the guest room is where the Xbox is), and have been playing Diablo 3 again (first time in 5 years or so).

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: November 15, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »
I'm a huge Tetris and Lumines fan, so I pretty much had to get Tetris Effect. So good! Except now I almost want Playstation VR so I can play it the way it was meant to be played. But... yeah, no. $40 was already too much to pay for Tetris. Let's not add another $200 to that.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1153 on: November 16, 2018, 08:26:22 AM »
I am slowly chipping away at one of the Batman games. I got a couple of the newer (relatively speaking) Batman games in a humble bundle recently for cheap and figured I'd play them. I probably get about 45 minutes a week..so much other stuff to do, lol

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1154 on: November 16, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »

Same; my second full-price game purchase this year.  Actually haven't played in a bit due to company (the guest room is where the Xbox is), and have been playing Diablo 3 again (first time in 5 years or so).
Luckily(?) for me, I never played the original, and I still have a console that will play it. Assuming I have time to play this winter, I'll probably pick up a copy of RDR(1) GOTY as my next patient-gamer score!

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1155 on: November 26, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Just bought Diablo 3 (PS4) on a black Friday deal. I played the first 2 on PC a long time ago and the price was low enough that I thought it would be fun to see what the "new" one was like.

I was also hoping that Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) would drop to $10 or less (because it's so frickin' old), but it didn't so it remains on my "yet to buy" list.

I also bought a $10 copy of Shadow of War (really liked the first one), and a ~$25 copy of God of War (expensive for me, but it looks fun).

Since I don't play that much, I think these titles will last me for the year (along with games like Rock Band that I play years after they come out...I think D3 will be like this too).

salt cured

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1156 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:05 PM »
Well I picked up the Spiderman PS4 slim bundle. Got it, the Uncharted trilogy, The Last of Us Remastered, and Horizon: Zero Dawn for about $250. I've never owned a Playstation or Xbox before, so I'm excited. Recommend me something!

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1157 on: November 26, 2018, 06:01:26 PM »
Well I picked up the Spiderman PS4 slim bundle. Got it, the Uncharted trilogy, The Last of Us Remastered, and Horizon: Zero Dawn for about $250. I've never owned a Playstation or Xbox before, so I'm excited. Recommend me something!

I own 17 PS4 games and these are some of my favorites:
Disgaea 5
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Ys VIII

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1158 on: November 26, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »

Luckily(?) for me, I never played the original, and I still have a console that will play it. Assuming I have time to play this winter, I'll probably pick up a copy of RDR(1) GOTY as my next patient-gamer score!

Do it, that was a good game.  I want to play RDR2 but I'm going to hold off until the price drops.  I just ordered the witcher 3 complete edition for xbox one for $22.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1159 on: November 27, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »

Sounds more a great start.

When your done with those, maybe Witcher 3.

I also love Rockband, but it's probably hard to find instruments... But if you like drums you could try to get a cheap electronic kit (needs MIDI out) and a Ps4 midi adapter. It's a bunch of cash to drop though so maybe I shouldn't recimmend it here

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #1160 on: November 27, 2018, 08:01:53 AM »
Picked up Wolfenstein: The New Order and Old Blood for $9 total from Steam's black friday sale. Taking a break from RPGs to play some of that- also playing DOOM, also from a steam sale for like $10. 

Next up- Witcher 3 GOTY ($20 sale from GOG a couple months back)

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1161 on: November 27, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

Do it, that was a good game.  I want to play RDR2 but I'm going to hold off until the price drops.  I just ordered the witcher 3 complete edition for xbox one for $22.
Price dropped a bit more on Black Friday so I grabbed a copy. Now I just need to find time to play!

salt cured

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1162 on: November 27, 2018, 04:32:20 PM »
I own 17 PS4 games and these are some of my favorites:
Disgaea 5
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Ys VIII

Sounds more a great start.

When your done with those, maybe Witcher 3.

I also love Rockband, but it's probably hard to find instruments... But if you like drums you could try to get a cheap electronic kit (needs MIDI out) and a Ps4 midi adapter. It's a bunch of cash to drop though so maybe I shouldn't recimmend it here

Thanks to you both! I'll definitely look into these.

bendixso123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1163 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Civ 6 - Rise and Fall
Endless Space
Kerbal Space Program
The Witness
Axiom Verge

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1164 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:24 AM »
Just finished God of War III (freebie with PS Plus). I didn't like it at first but it grew on me and it ended up being pretty good, even with all the button mashing!

OneCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #1165 on: December 04, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Just finished God of War III (freebie with PS Plus). I didn't like it at first but it grew on me and it ended up being pretty good, even with all the button mashing!

I played GOW3 on hard difficulty and was crushed.  Unfortunately, they only give you the option to dropping to easy difficulty (skipped normal) so the game went from @#%#$ hard to a cake walk.  I still had fun but my ego definitely took a hit.  I'm a souls gamer and I couldn't deal with GOW3 on hard!  There is even a titan difficulty after that!!!

Currently play Dark Souls.  I'm a big fan of souls games but I never actually ventured into the souls series.  Platinumed Bloodborne and beat Demon's Souls and Nioh on NG+ and just now diving into Lordran! 

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1166 on: December 05, 2018, 03:33:02 AM »
I played GOW3 on hard difficulty and was crushed.  Unfortunately, they only give you the option to dropping to easy difficulty (skipped normal) so the game went from @#%#$ hard to a cake walk.  I still had fun but my ego definitely took a hit.  I'm a souls gamer and I couldn't deal with GOW3 on hard!  There is even a titan difficulty after that!!!
You did better than me because I started out on normal and even then had to go down to easy to beat Hades due to my noobness. The game got easier after that as I got more used to it so I could probably have persisted with normal mode all the way through. It's a balance between having enough of a challenge for it to be fun but not so much of a challenge that you're going to rage quit the game. Titan difficulty- no way!

lemonlyman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1167 on: December 14, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
Currently play Dark Souls.  I'm a big fan of souls games but I never actually ventured into the souls series.  Platinumed Bloodborne and beat Demon's Souls and Nioh on NG+ and just now diving into Lordran!

I'm also a fan of soulsborne games! I'm playing DS3 right now. Nioh and Bloodborne were my first ones. I was excited about Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice until I saw it was more a stealth action game with no RPG stat elements.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • Continuing Lumberjack Adventures..but..Baja calls.
« Reply #1168 on: December 14, 2018, 10:00:49 AM »
I'm currently immersed in RDR2 on Xbox One X, which I just recently upgraded to. I am often left speechless at how good this game looks and sounds. And now the story itself is starting to pull me in. I have played this till 2:30am a couple of times during the middle of the week - it's one of those games that actually makes it difficult to put the controller down. I'm only about 20% into the main storyline, and in an attempt to make this game last, I tend to just wander the HUGE world map, hunting, interacting with wildlife (hunting) and randomly scattered characters (gunfights, robbing, looting). Sometimes I'll position myself, on my horse, at the top of a hill and just wait for sunrise...which leaves me slack jawed every time.

Very pleased with the Xbox One X purchase. Another benefit of the console is that there are a ton of "Xbox One X Enhanced" games, such as Witcher 3 that are greatly improved graphically on this console...closely matching powerful PC's on maxed out settings. I'll probably play through Witcher 3 again at some point just to experience the enhanced graphical fidelity.

MilStachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1169 on: December 14, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Wanted to share something I've been going through to see if I'm the only one.

In high school and college I was an avid gamer.  MMORPGs, RPGs, RTS, you name it (although never a huge fan of FPS).

For the last two years, I can't seem to stick with a game.  After an hour or so, I'm absolutely bored and need to do something else. 

I love the idea of getting pulled into a game like I used to...but I can't.  I'll read a review, get pumped, start playing, and about an hour later...bleh.  What gives?  (I'm 32, for those wondering). 

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #1170 on: December 14, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »
Super Mario Bros

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1171 on: December 15, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
I just started playing my old copies of "Dungeons & Dragons Heroes" and "Star Wars Battlefront II" on my old original XBox system and they are great because they are still fun to play, you can play with up to four people simultaneously, plus online play is completely free when using XLink Kai. Completely unnecessary to invest in modern gaming equipment.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1172 on: December 15, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
I picked up Pokémon Go again and made a new account after losing my old login shortly after the initial release. It’s nice, free, and gets me outdoors a bit more. I did do a meetup this morning and actually ran into someone I know! So that was fun.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1173 on: December 15, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »

In high school and college I was an avid gamer.  MMORPGs, RPGs, RTS, you name it (although never a huge fan of FPS).

For the last two years, I can't seem to stick with a game.  After an hour or so, I'm absolutely bored and need to do something else. 

I love the idea of getting pulled into a game like I used to...but I can't.  I'll read a review, get pumped, start playing, and about an hour later...bleh.  What gives?  (I'm 32, for those wondering).
Definitely not the only one. I used to game for HOURS at a time and now get bored of the game entirely as soon as  I’ve put a little bit of time into it. It’s frustrating since this used to be a big escape for me.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1174 on: December 15, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
(Duplicate post)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1175 on: December 15, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »
Onrush PS4+ freebie. Got 15 hours play before encountering grindsville and losing interest, but was great fun up until then. A very different style of vehicle racing.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1176 on: December 16, 2018, 04:36:45 AM »
I'm currently immersed in RDR2 on Xbox One X, which I just recently upgraded to. I am often left speechless at how good this game looks and sounds. And now the story itself is starting to pull me in. I have played this till 2:30am a couple of times during the middle of the week - it's one of those games that actually makes it difficult to put the controller down. I'm only about 20% into the main storyline, and in an attempt to make this game last, I tend to just wander the HUGE world map, hunting, interacting with wildlife (hunting) and randomly scattered characters (gunfights, robbing, looting). Sometimes I'll position myself, on my horse, at the top of a hill and just wait for sunrise...which leaves me slack jawed every time.

Very pleased with the Xbox One X purchase. Another benefit of the console is that there are a ton of "Xbox One X Enhanced" games, such as Witcher 3 that are greatly improved graphically on this console...closely matching powerful PC's on maxed out settings. I'll probably play through Witcher 3 again at some point just to experience the enhanced graphical fidelity.

I upgraded to the One X and am playing Forza Horizon 4.  Oh wow what a beautiful game in 4K!  RDR2 is on my list, just waiting for the price to drop a bit.  I've been watching folks play it on Mixer and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Chris-93AUS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1177 on: December 16, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
First time in off-topic, but is it cool to share steam names / gamer tags here?

I'm always looking for people to play with on a variety of games :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1178 on: December 17, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
Any thoughts on Witcher 3 complete for $27CAD?

I am generally an RPG player, I'm just not entirely sure this particular game is for me. I think I played the first hour or two of Witcher 1 or 2 a while back.

I played Dragon Age Inquisition and finished it but didn't love it (and I started playing again, and loved it less), as an example of a 'great' RPG I just wasn't into. I much prefer the older turn based stuff, especially if it's streamlined and fast. Liiiike... Suikoden II, haha.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1179 on: December 17, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »

I am generally an RPG player, I'm just not entirely sure this particular game is for me. I think I played the first hour or two of Witcher 1 or 2 a while back.

I played Dragon Age Inquisition and finished it but didn't love it (and I started playing again, and loved it less), as an example of a 'great' RPG I just wasn't into. I much prefer the older turn based stuff, especially if it's streamlined and fast. Liiiike... Suikoden II, haha.

I haven't played it myself but I've watched my wife play almost the entire game. Overall it's a good game but the loading times are infuriating. If you're the kind of person that wants to reload your save to try different options or if you play risky and die occasionally or if you fast travel a lot then the load times are going to really suck the joy out of the game. The game also has a ridiculous amount of side quests and stuff to explore. This can be both good and bad. Also, it is really not feasible to grind for levels as the vast majority of experience comes from quests/story. So if you find part of the game too difficult it can't realistically be overcome by just farming enemy kills for a while.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1180 on: December 17, 2018, 10:43:57 AM »

I haven't played it myself but I've watched my wife play almost the entire game. Overall it's a good game but the loading times are infuriating. If you're the kind of person that wants to reload your save to try different options or if you play risky and die occasionally or if you fast travel a lot then the load times are going to really suck the joy out of the game. The game also has a ridiculous amount of side quests and stuff to explore. This can be both good and bad. Also, it is really not feasible to grind for levels as the vast majority of experience comes from quests/story. So if you find part of the game too difficult it can't realistically be overcome by just farming enemy kills for a while.

Thanks - which platform was she playing on? I'll be taking my PS4 with me to the UK... I was considering upgrading the 1Tb HDD to an SSD, actually, not sure how much that would help, though I imagine it *should* help quite a lot!

Do you have any comparisons with the load times - eg, vs Final Fantasy XV, say?

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1181 on: December 17, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »

Thanks - which platform was she playing on? I'll be taking my PS4 with me to the UK... I was considering upgrading the 1Tb HDD to an SSD, actually, not sure how much that would help, though I imagine it *should* help quite a lot!

She was playing on the PS4. I recall having wait times over 1 minute. I dropped Final Fantasy XV pretty early on because I couldn't stand it but I don't remember it having noticeable load times, at least not in comparison to The Witcher 3.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1182 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:30 AM »

She was playing on the PS4. I recall having wait times over 1 minute. I dropped Final Fantasy XV pretty early on because I couldn't stand it but I don't remember it having noticeable load times, at least not in comparison to The Witcher 3.

A minute? Oh wow. Ok, I'll keep on giving it a miss then, thanks.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1183 on: December 17, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »

Yeah, it was quite bad.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/73061640
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/71830707
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/36ltx7/load_times_after_dying_way_too_long_in_witcher_3/
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-witcher-3-loading-time.71952/

YttriumNitrate

• Bristles
« Reply #1184 on: December 17, 2018, 12:07:39 PM »
I'm currently going through the Legend of Zelda console games in order. Right now I'm on Majora's Mask. Before that I was doing the Final Fantasy games, but gave up halfway through 8.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1185 on: December 17, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »
Witcher 3 wait times were not bad at all on my modestly ok PC with an SSD.

#pcmasterrace

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: December 18, 2018, 02:59:26 AM »
Witcher 3 wait times were not bad at all on my modestly ok PC with an SSD.

#pcmasterrace

Here too, I didn't notice anything particularly problematic.

I recently bought an open box refurbished GTX 1080 at Microcenter -- finally replaced my 4yo GTX 970. If anybody wants a GTX 970, I'll make you a deal! :)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1187 on: December 18, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
PC vs PS4 - thing is, I'm moving back to the UK in two weeks, and it is a lot easier for me to take my PS4 than my PC. I'm not even sure what I'll do with the PC, probably dismantle it and take everything but the case... Not til next year sometime though.

Not sure. I'd like to pick something meaty up for the PS4, I have about $38 CAD of credit.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1188 on: December 18, 2018, 09:51:01 AM »

Same. Granted, I don't play a lot of games in general outside of gaming with friends online. I picked up RDR2 with high hopes and while there are some amazing moments, the game is far too linear for me and the open world "survival" aspects add absolutely nothing to the game. It's too time consuming and doesn't feel like I'm actually in control of anything.

I really like NakeyJakey and he did an excellent overview as to what's wrong with Rockstar games. But I think this applies to a lot of other games as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos&t=5s

I'm basically done with buying 40+ hour games. It just gets too tedious and repetitive and starts to feel like work. Not trying to sound like another book snob, but I'd rather just read a long book for story and I'd rather watch a movie for great visuals/story. Gaming tries to combine both and sometimes when it magically comes together it's absolutely amazing and incredible like with Breath of the Wild. I think the problem though is thinking AAA games that are built for the masses are going to be right for you.

Certain games do certainly pull me in. Stardew Valley was amazing. There was some bridge building game that had Portal vibes I can't remember but was amazing as well. I generally like puzzle games a lot. So yeah, maybe you're playing the wrong games and haven't really found your niche. You've changed as a person but I can guarantee there's no such thing as getting too old for games.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1189 on: December 18, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
PC vs PS4 - thing is, I'm moving back to the UK in two weeks, and it is a lot easier for me to take my PS4 than my PC. I'm not even sure what I'll do with the PC, probably dismantle it and take everything but the case... Not til next year sometime though.

Not sure. I'd like to pick something meaty up for the PS4, I have about $38 CAD of credit.

I've heard good things about Horizon Zero Dawn but haven't tried it yet. I'd suggest Ys VIII but it looks like it might be a bit above your credit amount. If you like tactical RPGs you should look at Disgaea 5. If you have any interest whatsoever in platformers you must play Celeste, it's an incredible game.

Dr Kidstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1190 on: December 18, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »
I'm deep in RDR2. I kinda like the aimless downtime in it. Shoot up a town, then go fishing for a while. Or just ride around on my horse until the spirit moves me to rob someone. I can see how the game would grate on many folks, though.
Also mixing in a little Need For Speed Payback. I have an embarrassingly long list of games to get to at some point.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1191 on: December 20, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »

Yeah, it was quite bad.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/36ltx7/load_times_after_dying_way_too_long_in_witcher_3/
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/the-witcher-3-loading-time.71952/

I played Witcher 3 on PS4 and wait times were bad.

It was much worse at the beginning of the game when I was dying more. It wasn't nearly as much of an issue mid to late game when I'd learned how to do combat much better.

Loved the game despite the wait times. One of the best games I've ever played.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1192 on: December 20, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »

Yeah, it was quite bad.

I played Witcher 3 on PS4 and wait times were bad.

It was much worse at the beginning of the game when I was dying more. It wasn't nearly as much of an issue mid to late game when I'd learned how to do combat much better.

Loved the game despite the wait times. One of the best games I've ever played.

$27 CAD, ok, I'll give it a whirl.

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #1193 on: December 20, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
Played Witcher 3 with both expansions when they were just released.
Started my 2nd playthrough this year, just completed first dlc yesterday.

It is a masterpiece, and expansions are even better than the main game in my opinion. The story, the side quests, the combat (play on "Blood and Broken bones" difficulty), the music.

Just don't rush it and enjoy, and explore, and immerse, read the bestiary, brew your potions and apply oils on blades. The story does start a bit slow but I think it was meant that way. It becomes much more intense later.

About the difficulty. There're 4 levels: easy, normal, harder, hard.
Choose the "harder" (Blood and Broken bones), anything easier and you will not need neither alchemy, nor oils, and won't need to prepare for the hard fights (witcher contracts). They meant to be a bit harder than your normal pack of wolves. And alchemy is a big part of Witcher lore.

If you're afraid of dying, then invest points into the active shield that regenerates health when you take damage. It will save you a lot.

On easy difficulty levels you can kill everybody with pressing just 1 button. It will become boring.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:27:56 AM by beee »

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #1194 on: December 21, 2018, 01:20:14 AM »
Bought a second hand 3ds one year ago and scavenged the second hand websites to buy and resell after playing , sometime even at a profit (!). Nice thing of 3ds game is they fit into a normal letter and have very low shipping cost. It has been almost as fun as playing the game. The 3ds is for me the best console on the market for price/quality/portability/game library relationship.
Tons of great DS and 3ds games.

It fits in my pocket, you can easily pause games by closing the lid... Always with me on train etc. Battery no issue, great for plane flights.... Chargeable from a any USB port.. Very durable and resistant. And dirty cheap.

Sent from my Hisense A2T using Tapatalk

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1195 on: December 27, 2018, 02:02:03 AM »
Hubs and I picked up a couple of indy early-access games during the Steam Winter Sale: Book of Demons and Slay the Spire. Both fun, but StS has a lot more replayability.

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #1196 on: December 27, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
Couple of weeks off from work - playing:
1. RDR2
2. Dead Cells
3. Deep Rock Galactic

Fun times - except for the sick kid I'm caring for as well :/

sixwings

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1197 on: December 27, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
Diablo 2! Always playing it off and on.

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1198 on: December 27, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
I got Atelier Firis for Christmas. So far it has definitely exceeded my expectations. I really like the portable atelier so I don't have to keep making return trips to home base. It helps make the game feel more like you're on a continuous journey.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1199 on: December 27, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission. Best VR game I've played yet!

Also, Jurassic Park Evolution for PC. Picked this up on sale for $20 and got 36 hours out of it before finishing all the missions, so much less than my value benchmark of $1 an hour for entertainment. Beautiful graphics and animations.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:05:54 PM by Ozstache »