Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780892 times)

ptobest

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1000 on: January 18, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »
been playing pubg...not completely consumed yet but it's a fun game. Going to a buddies house tonight with xbox in tow - 4 player team game multi screen madness ! should be exciting !

I love PUBG! Not a big fan of the new map yet though, and I miss that they took away the fog map, as that added an interesting element to the gameplay.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1001 on: January 19, 2018, 07:58:56 AM »
been playing pubg...not completely consumed yet but it's a fun game. Going to a buddies house tonight with xbox in tow - 4 player team game multi screen madness ! should be exciting !

I love PUBG! Not a big fan of the new map yet though, and I miss that they took away the fog map, as that added an interesting element to the gameplay.

Played PUBG once with my ex's roommate (with the now ex sitting behind me helping) on my teammate. Killed my teammate almost immediately for shits and giggles, made it to the top 10 riding a dirtbike in an open field doing tricks, and got killed entering my first house and encountering my first person and completely forgetting how to take out my gun (probably would've gotten killed anyway). Definitely not a game I would play on the regular, but certainly fun once. I really like watching people play, especially when they don't cry when they lose. (If you've ever watched DrDisrespect lose his shit because someone headshot him... like dude, I get it, you're really good at this game, but sometimes other people are better, so get your panties out of your ass.)

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #1002 on: January 19, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »

Played PUBG once with my ex's roommate (with the now ex sitting behind me helping) on my teammate. Killed my teammate almost immediately for shits and giggles, made it to the top 10 riding a dirtbike in an open field doing tricks, and got killed entering my first house and encountering my first person and completely forgetting how to take out my gun (probably would've gotten killed anyway). Definitely not a game I would play on the regular, but certainly fun once. I really like watching people play, especially when they don't cry when they lose. (If you've ever watched DrDisrespect lose his shit because someone headshot him... like dude, I get it, you're really good at this game, but sometimes other people are better, so get your panties out of your ass.)

It is a really fun game to watch - well, depending on who you're watching. My strategy when I first started playing was to hide in a bathroom until someone showed up. Which is both boring to watch and to play. I would also use the strategy of "find a boat and hope the circle ended up in a place on the ocean", same problem there. Much more interesting to drop into the spots everyone else drops into, I'm still pretty bad at the game so it's better for skill improvement. That and it's so demotivating to drop in the middle of nowhere, spend half an hour gathering your equipment and running to stay in the circle, then get killed at your first encounter with another person. [with solo at least - seems like a fine strategy when doing team, at least when your teammates aren't as awful as I am!]

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1003 on: January 20, 2018, 09:06:36 AM »
Caved and got the Switch and Zelda. Holy Smokes it's beautiful. Many, many, many hours will be played on this. I already know I missed a bunch of stuff on Tutorial Island (that's what I'm calling it) but I just wanted to get to the game itself. Now that I'm here, I don't even want to do any quests, I just want to run around.

Good thing, since like 90% of the content isn't part of the main quest, and probably half isn't part of a side quest either (and you won't find most side quests unless you run around and explore anyway)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: January 21, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »

If you like PUBG, also consider Fornite Battle Royale. It's free and is like PUBG, but has some different mechanics.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
Anyone getting Monster Hunter World?  It's one of my favorite game series. I pre-ordered it today at Gamestop because I had a $40 gift card from a few years ago - the perfect use!

Monster Hunter is ridiculously fun. You go around hunting monsters, collect their materials, and make new armor to fight more powerful monsters. You can play online with friends and my god, is it addicting.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1006 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:55 AM »
Tried Paragon, boring as fuck.

Tried Fortnight Battle Royal, too complex with the whole building elements.

Now I’m getting into Divinity Original Sin, and a whole bunch of random VR games. Rescuties is one of my favourites.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1007 on: January 22, 2018, 10:43:56 AM »

Started playing Grim Dawn again...was sitting in my library for a long time.   Realized that I could play it wit a controller...but there is a learning curve to get the hang of it. 

An awesome ARPG game.  It is huge.  Quests can be a little wonky because quest markers are not implemented great on the map.  However, you can find your way around if you pay attention.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1008 on: January 22, 2018, 10:53:42 AM »
I'm playing Skyrim for the first time. I've been frustrated by the combat, controls, and UI at numerous times, but it's pretty fun overall. I need to look through the Switch's eshop again soon. I completed Steam World Dig 2 over the holiday and wouldn't mind a something similar to play between bouts of Skyrim. 

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1009 on: January 22, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
I'm playing Skyrim for the first time. I've been frustrated by the combat, controls, and UI at numerous times, but it's pretty fun overall. I need to look through the Switch's eshop again soon. I completed Steam World Dig 2 over the holiday and wouldn't mind a something similar to play between bouts of Skyrim.
Stealth Archer: The Game

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: January 22, 2018, 03:01:16 PM »

If you like PUBG, also consider Fornite Battle Royale. It's free and is like PUBG, but has some different mechanics.

I've watched some Fortnite gameplay, seems interesting (especially the building defense structures aspect), I haven't  downloaded it yet to try it out. Will probably do so at some point soon.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1011 on: January 23, 2018, 12:31:37 PM »
so after reading METRO 2033 I decided to try METRO : Redux - the game is really cool if you like fallout or other post apocalyptic games that have a great story ! Also this game scared the crap out of my niece so I don't recommend playing it with kids in the room haha. I didn't even know she was there since I was playing the game room with my headphones on. Poor child...reminds me of when I watched Friday the 13th over the back of the couch while my older brother thought he was alone. Lets just say when I screamed - underwear needed to be changed !

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: January 23, 2018, 02:43:37 PM »

I've watched some Fortnite gameplay, seems interesting (especially the building defense structures aspect), I haven't  downloaded it yet to try it out. Will probably do so at some point soon.

Sounds like we need to start a MMM discord and run a squad in pubg >:D

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1013 on: January 23, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »

sounds like a plan !

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1014 on: January 24, 2018, 11:46:33 AM »

sounds like a plan !

Someone stream it on Twitch and let me know :)

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #1015 on: January 24, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »

sounds like a plan !

I would be down! (Note: I am atrocious and have never gotten a Chicken Dinner doing solo, so no one who actually wants a Serious Game will enjoy playing with me)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1016 on: January 25, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »

sounds like a plan !

I would be down! (Note: I am atrocious and have never gotten a Chicken Dinner doing solo, so no one who actually wants a Serious Game will enjoy playing with me)

HAHA don't worry neither have I. I have however gotten top 10 and once I actually got to 3rd place.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1017 on: January 25, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »
I named my horse Mooo (yes, with three Os) in Breath of the Wild because he looks like a cow and he is the grumpiest, most frustrating asshole ever, but an assassin hit him while trying to attack me last night and my only regret is that I could only throw him off the cliff in to the river once. Nobody hits my horse and gets to live.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: January 25, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
Hubs and I picked up a couple copies of Divinity Original Sin II while they were on sale. $45 each, but it's something we can play together while in separate states, it doesn't have a subscription fee like the MMOs we've played in the past, and we'll get a ton of hours out of it, so I think it's worth it. And we're trying to convince an old MMO friend to play with us as well, which would get us even more hours.

Now I'm looking at Monster Hunter World. Just because of the Horizon Zero Dawn content. I've never even played a Monster Hunter game. Advertising works.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #1019 on: January 25, 2018, 11:17:25 AM »
Celeste is looking very cool. I think it'll be my next purchase, once it goes on sale or I build up some Amazon digital rewards.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1020 on: January 25, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
Not much time for games anymore, but I have been really, really enjoying Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp for mobile. I’m so happy to see Nintendo breaking into the world of mobile gaming and have always loved the A/C series. I’d happily pay $$ for actual mobile Nintendo games, but so far this has been free to play (and fair about it).
Also played the mobile Fire Emblem game for a while before ACPC was released.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: January 25, 2018, 01:11:41 PM »
Not much time for games anymore, but I have been really, really enjoying Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp for mobile. I’m so happy to see Nintendo breaking into the world of mobile gaming and have always loved the A/C series. I’d happily pay $$ for actual mobile Nintendo games, but so far this has been free to play (and fair about it).

I've played Pocket Camp a bit, but just end up feeling sad that it's not a full Animal Crossing game. Am really hoping that that make one for the Switch. Would love to see some older Nintendo games made into mobile versions.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1022 on: January 26, 2018, 07:16:26 AM »
@ptobeast — I definitely understand that criticism of ACPC. I would love a full game, too, and would happily pay for it. I’d like to see some of the classics remade and released on mobile. I feel like Pokémon, Zelda, and Mario Bros. are all  good candidates for a mobile version! Even something like Mario Party or Kart would be awesome but maybe a stretch for current tech/data usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: January 26, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »

Agreed, I have been playing ACPC for a while. It's really well done, especially for free to play. I usually log in at least once daily.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1024 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:16 AM »
Civ VI is $12 with a subscription to humble monthly. You can cancel it immediately after redeeming the steam keys and just pay the one month (or cancel it in mid-Feb to get all the Feb games but also not pay for the next month). I’ve heard good enough things that I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Update: Civ VI is dumb and bad and you should steer clear. It's much slower to run than Civ V as the AI thinks and looks very cartoony and little-kiddish. I've heard that's a design choice and not just a sign of poor graphics or optimization, but ugly is ugly IMO. It's hard to imagine I will someday play this 250 hours like the last three Civ games.

(This is the second Firaxis strike in a row after CivBE, which was a mod of Civ V for the price of a new game. Boo!)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: January 26, 2018, 10:10:59 AM »
Civ VI is $12 with a subscription to humble monthly. You can cancel it immediately after redeeming the steam keys and just pay the one month (or cancel it in mid-Feb to get all the Feb games but also not pay for the next month). I’ve heard good enough things that I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Update: Civ VI is dumb and bad and you should steer clear. It's much slower to run than Civ V as the AI thinks and looks very cartoony and little-kiddish. I've heard that's a design choice and not just a sign of poor graphics or optimization, but ugly is ugly IMO. It's hard to imagine I will someday play this 250 hours like the last three Civ games.

(This is the second Firaxis strike in a row after CivBE, which was a mod of Civ V for the price of a new game. Boo!)

I enjoyed it despite the crappy graphics on the characters. I'm not sure what you mean by "much slower to run". Do you mean hardware requirements?

I also agree that the AI should be smarter, especially in the military battles. It's pretty easy to beat it on deity even though they are given so many advantages.

The expansion on Feb 8th is supposed to resolve some of these issues although the cartoony leader graphics aren't changing.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1026 on: January 26, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
Monster Hunter World drops today, can't wait to pick it up!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1027 on: January 26, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
I enjoyed it despite the crappy graphics on the characters.
I don't mind the characters. The whole world looks cartoony.

I'm not sure what you mean by "much slower to run". Do you mean hardware requirements?
The AI spends far longer thinking between each turn, and actions like unit selection are far slower, so in an hour session of playing the game you have much less time actually playing. The game is slower to load levels and load the main menu, though those would be forgivable if the playing experience were faster. And this is on an 18-month old, reasonably fast processor.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1028 on: January 27, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »

I've never played a MH game. I'm usually more into JRPGs, and the odd MMORPG. I'm currently playing FF XV and really enjoyed Comrades, which sort've sounds like Monster Hunter I *think*?

I'm really not all that good at combat, though, which makes me think MH is not for me... Thoughts?

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1029 on: January 29, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »

For the Civ franchise, yes but I'm guessing you didn't play Xcom 2: WotC.

Anyway, anyone playing Subnautica? I'm generally not a survival game fan but, the natural progression and unique underwater premise has me hooked!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1030 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:52 AM »
Xcom 2 is good. The Xcom 1 expansion added so little that I wouldn't pay for WOTC though.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1031 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »

I've never played a MH game. I'm usually more into JRPGs, and the odd MMORPG. I'm currently playing FF XV and really enjoyed Comrades, which sort've sounds like Monster Hunter I *think*?

I'm really not all that good at combat, though, which makes me think MH is not for me... Thoughts?

Monster Hunter is a really niche game. Good news is that in this iteration they really tried to appeal to a wider audience, so it's the most accessible version compared to the other games.

For combat there is definitely a steep learning curve. It's not your traditional fast moving slice and dice instant gratification kind of RPG. Combat is more like Dark Souls.  It's sluggish and skillful. But oh so rewarding when you overcome a tough monster.

Also, the multiplayer is killer and the game is very multiplayer centric. There's such an intense thrill of getting in groups and taking on huge monsters.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1032 on: January 29, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
Anyway, anyone playing Subnautica? I'm generally not a survival game fan but, the natural progression and unique underwater premise has me hooked!

Been watching Jacksepticeye play through (and like, 20 other youtubers). Gorgeous game! Could not/would not play it, but the story is intriguing.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1033 on: January 29, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
Q
Could not/would not play it

Too much thalassophobia?

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1034 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
Q
Could not/would not play it

Too much thalassophobia?

You got your giant fish, you got your aliens, you got vast open spaces, you got your caves, you got the "deep dark deep dark" as JSE calls it, you got your "last man standing" / completely alone mentality, and yeah, your thalassophobia. Lots of nopes for me.

I don't play many horror/scary type games (most survival games fit into that scary genre for me) but I love watching other people play, especially if that game has a good story element, which Subnautica seems to have. The Forest was another survival game that I would never touch, but damn that story got me (so did those cannibal jump scares).

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #1035 on: January 29, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
SubNautica is a relentlessly gorgeous game with an engaging story that gets a hell of a lot less scary from a 'predators' perspective once you find out that as long as you stay on the move and hug the shallows, other than dodging a half-assed bite here or there as you zip around looking for copper / pretty coral samples, nothing will kill you in one shot, or even 2-3 shots. You generally have to be working pretty hard to die to predators. Drowning, on the other hand, is an ever present concern that needs to be deeply respected. After the first few times, you're more angered by your own stupidity that it happened to you and you just lost a backpack full of silver ore rather than actually feeling the existential dread of a death by drowning.

I recommend the 'Neebs Gaming' comedic playthrough for a lighter take on a hefty topic. They did a great job with the voiceovers- so much so that 'Neebs' was offered a voiceover spot in the final version of the game!

I can't account for the sense of absolute terror once you leave the safe shallows, trundle your way out into the deeps in your adorable little micro sub making jetsons noises until you realize you don't have any landmarks nearby, you're surrounded by blackness on every side except for the plankton illuminated by your floodlights, and then you hear the deep, basso groan of something much, much larger than you in the distance. With the occasional hint of writhing coils or jaws that dwarf the scale of your tiny 1 person submersible.

Luckily, you don't *have* to do that at any point in the game. I can 100% confirm you can beat the game without going into the inky black depths that far. That, you have to do by choice.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:35:46 PM by BiochemicalDJ »

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1036 on: January 30, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »
You generally have to be working pretty hard to die to predators.

Yeah, I feel like everyone has one early death to the first Reaper that ambushes them and that's about it. Once you get equipped and learn the fauna it's easy to avoid predators.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1037 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
is this available on xbox one or pc only ?

Looks very intriguing...Almost like a playable version of the movie "abyss"

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1038 on: January 31, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
It's available on Xbox one. The Xbox one version isn't quite officially released as the devs are still working some optimization issues but, it has all the content of the Steam release.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1039 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »

Now I’m getting into Divinity Original Sin, and a whole bunch of random VR games. Rescuties is one of my favourites.

Divinity Original Sin 2 or the first game?

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1040 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »
Been a while..I won a Switch in sept so I picked up a few games for that using Gamestop credit. Ive also picked up a few games on Black Friday. I finished the latest South Park game, ive been playing Wolfenstein 2.

I have also spent some time with PUBG

I did to get back and finish Fallout 4 DLC, start and play Skyrim, finish Rise of the Tomb Raider, start and finish Yakuza Kiwami , finish Divinity Original Sin and play some more Switch games.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1041 on: February 05, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
Been a while..I won a Switch in sept so I picked up a few games for that using Gamestop credit. Ive also picked up a few games on Black Friday. I finished the latest South Park game, ive been playing Wolfenstein 2.

I have also spent some time with PUBG

I did to get back and finish Fallout 4 DLC, start and play Skyrim, finish Rise of the Tomb Raider, start and finish Yakuza Kiwami , finish Divinity Original Sin and play some more Switch games.

are you fi ? how do you have so much time lol #jealous

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1042 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
Starcraft 2. Then some more Starcraft 2.. 1v1 of course
Playing a 7 year old free to play game which works your reaction speed, multitasking, thinking under pressure and other cognitive skills seems pretty Mustacian to me:) At 35 years old I'm pretty happy I still have ~160 APM.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #1043 on: February 05, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »

First game

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1044 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
Playing a 7 year old free to play game which works your reaction speed, multitasking, thinking under pressure and other cognitive skills seems pretty Mustacian to me:) At 35 years old I'm pretty happy I still have ~160 APM.

MUST CONSTRUCT MORE PYLONS!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1045 on: February 06, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »

First game

Have you guys tried Path of Exile and Grim Dawn?  Really great 'diablo-like' games. 

Also...dead cells?   This one has it's hooks in me at the moment.  it is a 2D 'try and die' not unlike Dark Souls...but also has roguelike elements.  The upgrade mechanism has that 'just one more try' addictiveness to it.  And time commitment is minimal since you can quit at any time and restart where you left off, etc...

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1046 on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:17 AM »

MUST CONSTRUCT MORE PYLONS!
Always working on gathering more minerals...
Also in the game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:58:21 AM by Scandium »

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1047 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
I know Overcooked was discussed already, but I finally played for the first time over the weekend. It’s a shame that game isn’t (and apparently has no plans to be) online, because I would buy this in a heart beat. I just don’t have enough friends physically near me who enjoy video games.

Pictured: me in the bottom left trying to light myself on fire in shame for not getting stuff off the stove fast enough. Friend one on the bottom throwing everything onto the conveyor belt into the trash because why not. Friend on the top spraying everything but the fire with the fire extinguisher. Final friend still trying to beat the level.

Edit - WHY IS THE PICTURE UPSIDE. WHY PHONE. WHY DO YOU HATE ME.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:01:10 AM by Lis »

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #1048 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
Overcooked looks really neat - I went to add it to my Steam wishlist only to find that it was already there. In other news, I should actually play all of the games I own before thinking about purchasing more from my wishlist. Every Steam sale makes the list of games I have grow, and there's not enough time to play them all *looks longingly at future FIRE*.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1049 on: February 26, 2018, 03:10:14 AM »
Just finished Mad Max on PS4 and really enjoyed it, despite the vehicle controls being really laggy making for some curvaceous drunk-like driving at times. My brother, from whom I borrowed Mad Max, and my nephew both have PS4s and we have a pact to share games with each other in a Mustachian spirit, so gaming is a really cheap form of entertainment for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!