Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780871 times)

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #450 on: August 25, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
(it was Runescape for years before that).

Oh heyyy Runescape buddy. Yeah, I still play. Been about 11 or 12 years now :/ I buy their year membership every December as a Christmas present to myself. I joined a clan and actually made online friends that I play with, but I'll catch myself playing on a nice sunny day and I think - why? It's like a loser boyfriend that just won't go away, but I can't help it, I love it.

Hey there, add me! RSN: Cwadda

I only play Old School though!

:D

I miss the days of Old School! You have to pay for that separately though, right (if you want to play current and old school, I mean)? Don't get me wrong, I love the GE and how easy it made certain skills, but it definitely got rid of a lot of the challenge. I have an ironman account (free) for when I feel like slumming it. Did you try their newer version (Darkscape I think it was called)? I think I spent about two hours on that, got mad every time I got killed roasting shrimp, and rage quit. I'm Lisiera!
Must...resist...temptation to boot it back up.....

I played for a solid 6-7 years or so I think, but I stopped playing maybe another 6-7 ago.  I still remember the very first thing to ever kill me: the lvl 5 Highwayman on a road heading west from Lumbridge lol.  Looking back, a lot of the tweaks they made to the game that ticked me off when I was younger make a lot of sense to me now (the rift you have to jump over to get into the wildy and the GE being two that come to mind).  I can understand why they imposed trade restrictions, but I still think it was too heavy handed and I don't agree with it.

Come to the dark side.... trade restrictions have been lifted :) Those wizards south of Varrok always got me - I'd walk around to the west entrance just to avoid them for the longest time.

Old School has both F2P and P2P. They also have the bond system like normal RuneScape. I haven't tried Darkscape.

Well damn now I have to try Old School again. I remember when it first reintroduced - I sat south of Al Kharid with a dozen other players working on fishing... brought back so many memories from when I first started playing.

Good old Runescape! I played for about 6 years, but quit playing around the same time most people did (GE, trade restrictions, etc.). I made an account for Old School RS last summer and played for a couple of months but I quit once school started up again. I do miss Castle Wars and spending hours just chopping magic trees near that fishing village near the snow mountains, lol.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: August 25, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »
Yeah OSRS brings back a TON of memories. RS3 is wayyyy different now. It's unbearable to me. Too much going on.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: August 26, 2016, 08:13:45 AM »
WoW starts up Aug 30, so that is where I will be for a month or two.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »
[Snipped for length]

Must...resist...temptation to boot it back up.....

I played for a solid 6-7 years or so I think, but I stopped playing maybe another 6-7 ago.  I still remember the very first thing to ever kill me: the lvl 5 Highwayman on a road heading west from Lumbridge lol.  Looking back, a lot of the tweaks they made to the game that ticked me off when I was younger make a lot of sense to me now (the rift you have to jump over to get into the wildy and the GE being two that come to mind).  I can understand why they imposed trade restrictions, but I still think it was too heavy handed and I don't agree with it.

Come to the dark side.... trade restrictions have been lifted :) Those wizards south of Varrok always got me - I'd walk around to the west entrance just to avoid them for the longest time.

Old School has both F2P and P2P. They also have the bond system like normal RuneScape. I haven't tried Darkscape.

Well damn now I have to try Old School again. I remember when it first reintroduced - I sat south of Al Kharid with a dozen other players working on fishing... brought back so many memories from when I first started playing.

Good old Runescape! I played for about 6 years, but quit playing around the same time most people did (GE, trade restrictions, etc.). I made an account for Old School RS last summer and played for a couple of months but I quit once school started up again. I do miss Castle Wars and spending hours just chopping magic trees near that fishing village near the snow mountains, lol.

I remember grinding lobsters in that village and picking flax/spinning bowstrings in the town nearby.  Had to turn off sound whenever you ran past the teleport trainers by that castle lol.  I spend enough time grinding skills in that game that certain music albums are now permanently associated with areas of that game for me.  The last months of playing I spent either farming red chinchompas and selling them, or playing Pest Control over and over again, getting upset that no one liked guarding the ritual guy.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #454 on: August 26, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »
WoW starts up Aug 30, so that is where I will be for a month or two.

Did you play through MoP? I was "endgame" in vanilla, and got a fair way in BC, but have played shorter and shorter amounts with each release. With MoP, I think I got a little way past the opening and just thought.. why bother, the strategy in terms of talents has just gone. This is too simple now. This was just the trial, of course.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #455 on: August 27, 2016, 03:28:05 AM »
I finally took a break from the 1500 or so hours I've spent on Splinter Cell Blacklist to try out Dishonored.  I'm liking it as I'm a big fan of stealth.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:14:16 AM by davisgang90 »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #456 on: August 27, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »
Rather disliked Dishournered.  I just felt like there were so few ways to get through each level; just never punched my buttons I guess.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2016, 04:21:00 AM »
Rather disliked Dishournered.  I just felt like there were so few ways to get through each level; just never punched my buttons I guess.
Me too. Once I acquired the abilities to see baddies through buildings and warp across territory it became too easy and hence boring. Once I finished the main game, I didn't even bother playing the DLC I had purchased.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2016, 04:34:03 AM »
Me too. Once I acquired the abilities to see baddies through buildings and warp across territory it became too easy and hence boring. Once I finished the main game, I didn't even bother playing the DLC I had purchased.
I'm seeing this too.  I've flown through the game.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
A friend and I drunkenly resubbed WoW two nights ago. The 7.0 patch has been a bit fun. Blizzard is throwing out levels and gear like candy for the upcoming expansion pack. It hasn't been enough fun to convince me to buy the expansion. It's strange to think it's been 2 years since I've played the game.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2016, 01:50:47 PM »
A friend and I drunkenly resubbed WoW two nights ago. The 7.0 patch has been a bit fun. Blizzard is throwing out levels and gear like candy for the upcoming expansion pack. It hasn't been enough fun to convince me to buy the expansion. It's strange to think it's been 2 years since I've played the game.

Ugh, tell me about it. Done forever with WoW for going on 5 years now (played for a bit when the Cataclysm expansion came out and that was it). It blows my mind when I think about just how much time I sunk into that game. Lots of good times were had in the years that I did play, but I am now pretty sure it was a net negative in my life. 

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »

Ugh, tell me about it. Done forever with WoW for going on 5 years now (played for a bit when the Cataclysm expansion came out and that was it). It blows my mind when I think about just how much time I sunk into that game. Lots of good times were had in the years that I did play, but I am now pretty sure it was a net negative in my life.

I made a lot of life long friends playing that game. I also managed to financially get back on my feet because of it. I'll never forget going to the bank after months and seeing my checking account at over $10k (this was pre MMM.) Time flew by in that game. I'll never forget the mad cackling and drunken naked gnome hogger raids. I also learned a lot about people management and training. I'm glad I was able to experience all of that and meet all of the different people I did. A few times it challenged my stereotypes and threw my racism infront of me.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »

I made a lot of life long friends playing that game. I also managed to financially get back on my feet because of it. I'll never forget going to the bank after months and seeing my checking account at over $10k (this was pre MMM.) Time flew by in that game. I'll never forget the mad cackling and drunken naked gnome hogger raids. I also learned a lot about people management and training. I'm glad I was able to experience all of that and meet all of the different people I did. A few times it challenged my stereotypes and threw my racism infront of me.

I'm glad it was a positive experience for you. It was for me too in many ways. Plenty of late night camaraderie, raid victories and defeats, dungeon achievement shenanigans, etc... but like a lot of people, I played as much to escape as for any other reason. This definitely had negative impact on my life during that time, and I am glad to be well past that particular phase. I have no issues with MMOs, I think they're great fun. But I'm not likely to play one again, especially with how awesome my non virtual life is these days.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #463 on: August 29, 2016, 07:09:45 AM »
I enjoyed WOW through to the Lich King.  You will spend so much time there that you will indeed save a lot of money you might have spent otherwise.  However the time commitment is too high.  For the gem to keep being fun, I needed to be on the cutting edge of high end content, which meant a high end guild, which meant significant time investment.  Wife and new kids and a job do not allow that time commitment, so to the dustbin of history I resigned my account. 

Playing some Elite Dangerous now, since my neighbor lent me his Developer Kit Oculus.  Waiting for the updated Skyrim to be released for free in October with updated graphics.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #464 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »
Yeah I am getting ready for WoW's legion release.  I understand those that say it was a net negative for them, and I had my period where it was a negative influence on my life.  I could play hours a day and never feel like it was enough.  I took a break, then came back and gradually found a happy medium.  I was hardcore during BC, WoTLK, then dropped down to casual for most of Cata and MOP.  In WoD I found a casual raid guild of good, reliable folks that play two nights a week and it works well with my schedule.  The game is more casual friendly these days than ever, and I am happy now that with legion I have a path to good gear through dungeons and even questing in case raiding gets to be too much for me. 

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #465 on: August 29, 2016, 12:11:56 PM »
Speaking of loot grinding, I recently rediscovered Diablo 3. I had played through the campaign twice not long after it was released, but had not tried it again since the numerous patches. So far I am really enjoying getting back into it!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:35:55 PM by Lagom »

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: August 30, 2016, 01:50:06 PM »
Speaking of loot grinding, I recently rediscovered Diablo 3. I had played through the campaign twice not long after it was released, but had not plated since all of the numerous patches. So far I am really enjoying getting back into it!
Last I played D3 was when it came out on Xbox, and that was a lot better than the PC version, but still not that great.  If you like these types of games, Path of Exile is really good.  A new season starts Friday, with a new patch.  I'm pretty excited about it.  I just wish I had gotten into it sooner.

The developers said they were trying to make the game D3 was meant to be, since when D3 came out, it was pretty bad. 

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: August 30, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »
Good suggestion. I had been meaning to try PoE and then had forgotten about it. I'll have to spend a few hours this weekend to compare and contrast.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #468 on: August 30, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »
We have been playing WoW today (level 102, whee) and it really is pretty good.  There is no point in trying to race as our server had a level 105 before we even woke up (about 4 hours into the expansion).   I do raid, but mostly do the 5 man mythics which drop pretty nice gear...enough such that I feel like I am advancing.

Like others, I sunk a lot of time into it in vanilla.  We had one of the first guilds back then.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #469 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:04 PM »
I played WoW from the beginning up until the time when blood elves came out and they starting putting Paladins/Shamans on both sides.  The problem with that game was always the amount of time you had to invest, you couldn't play casually.  Not after a certain point where all the good gear was in raids that took hours.

Was it a net negative?  Probably but it was definitely entertaining for a while. 

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: August 31, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
The Division is Amazon's deal of the day.  $24.99 for Xbox 360, PS4, or PC.  Glad I waited!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: August 31, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
You guys probably know this stuff - but I never heard of gamers going to a sports arena to watch other gamers play!!  Who knew - another subculture I didn't know existed.

http://www.dota2.com/international/overview/

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #472 on: August 31, 2016, 03:47:03 PM »
Right now I play Overwatch when I see friends/co-workers online playing.  Love it for the social aspects, although I'll play solo (not in a friend's party) from time to time too.  I think competitive season 2 starts soon!

Otherwise the one game that I keep going back to year after year is StarCraft II.  The online skill levels currently are through the roof vs. when the game launched.  It is by far the most competitive game I've played.  As far as ladder rankings I'm somewhere between Gold/Platinum which is pretty middle of the road.  Also fun with friends.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: September 02, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »
You guys probably know this stuff - but I never heard of gamers going to a sports arena to watch other gamers play!!  Who knew - another subculture I didn't know existed.

On top of that, this tournament had a $20 million prize pool, more than any other video game tournement ever. Everyone on the first place team got like $1.5 million.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #474 on: September 02, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
I mainly play ps4. My pc is a giant turd and I don't wanna invest any money upgrading it currently lol

I have been playing Bloodborne - well I have at least been trying to. Holy crap this game is difficult ! Very little save points and very hard / cheap A.I - makes for a challenging experience.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #475 on: September 03, 2016, 05:38:11 AM »

On top of that, this tournament had a $20 million prize pool, more than any other video game tournement ever. Everyone on the first place team got like $1.5 million.

It's pretty impressive.  I've watched some SCII tourneys online before where there was a large live audience.  The announcers are hit or miss, but the skill of the best is really amazing.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #476 on: September 03, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
If you'd have told investors 20 years ago about something like Blizzcon and sited the attendance numbers, you'd have been laughed out of the room. It's amazing how much compputer/console games are raking in now, they make blockbuster movies look tiny.

I really think in 20-30 years, after the boomers die off, the NFL is going to take second place to E-games. ESPN/Disney figured that out a while ago and are slowly shifting in that direction.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #477 on: September 05, 2016, 12:26:40 AM »

Once I got tired of the stealth, or did I get stuck? I just went nuts. I enjoyed the game though

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #478 on: September 05, 2016, 12:28:11 AM »
I mainly play ps4. My pc is a giant turd and I don't wanna invest any money upgrading it currently lol

I have been playing Bloodborne - well I have at least been trying to. Holy crap this game is difficult ! Very little save points and very hard / cheap A.I - makes for a challenging experience.

Try Dark Souls 2 or 3? Those games were not meant for me

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #479 on: September 05, 2016, 12:29:51 AM »
Anyone play the new Deus Ex yet? I highly recommend it, but keep an eye on Cheapassgamer.com for a deal.

What's on everyone's fall watch list? Do my fellow MMM gamers hit up Black Friday for games? You can find some good deals

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #480 on: September 05, 2016, 12:36:28 AM »
Anyone played the bf1 beta yet? If so, is it any good?

My new computer arrived saturday, so I assembled it yesterday. Turns out my old screen is single link dvi (or vga) and my gpu is hdmi, displayport or dual link dvi. So my screen doesn't fit on my gpu :(
But that will be fixed today so after 8 years (!) with the same computer, I'll finally be playing on high and will be able to play dx11 games :D

Shadows of mordor will be one of the first, got it on steam summer sale

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »

My new computer arrived saturday, so I assembled it yesterday. Turns out my old screen is single link dvi (or vga) and my gpu is hdmi, displayport or dual link dvi. So my screen doesn't fit on my gpu :(
But that will be fixed today so after 8 years (!) with the same computer, I'll finally be playing on high and will be able to play dx11 games :D

Shadows of Mordor was fun.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: September 05, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
For those of you who like stealth, try Mark of the Ninja. I've had it in my Steam library forever and finally started it up this weekend. Quite fun!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2016, 08:24:05 AM »

Your GPU probably came with a DVI-VGA adapter, no?

I downloaded the BF1 beta last night but haven't tried it yet.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #484 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
I'm playing Plants Vs Zombies, the original. I played it over the weekend on a flight and forgot how fun it was. Got home and downloaded the game as I had previously bought it for $0.99 on another computer. Now it's set up on this computer, good times.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #485 on: September 06, 2016, 10:45:12 AM »
I've been watching a fair amount of H1Z1 on twitch lately. I'm not great at FPS but for whatever reason it's entertaining to watch. This guy is really good.

https://www.twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #486 on: September 06, 2016, 11:05:59 AM »
I've been watching a fair amount of H1Z1 on twitch lately. I'm not great at FPS but for whatever reason it's entertaining to watch. This guy is really good.

I was never able to get into H1Z1.  I think it was just too slow paced and/or the map area was too big for the number of players at the time.  I've taken to watching Anthony Kongphan play The Culling from time to time though.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2016, 01:59:27 PM »
For my fellow Runescapers - Runescape Idle Adventures beta is on Steam for free. Not gonna lie, it's pretty dumb. And yet... I'm stuck and I have to figure out a way to get unstuck, and I will not quit until I figure it out. Or I rage quit. Honestly it's an either/or situation at this point. But it is fun in the sense, you play for a few minutes, close it, log back in an hour later and play for a few minutes, close it, rinse and repeat. I'll be more impressed when it comes out on the phone (which I think was the original plan?).

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »

I don't remember his exact name, it's something like FrankieOnPCin1080p on YouTube.  If you like other people playing H1Z1, you will probably like how this guy plays Day Z.  It's not just mindless killing, he tries to weave a story into the game.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #489 on: September 06, 2016, 06:35:35 PM »

Dark Souls is meant for the true sadists. 

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
Question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to but I'm just checking. There may be a new (to me) computer in my future. If I download Steam on my new computer, I'll still have all my old games, but any saved files won't be there. Yes or no?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »

Perhaps you mean masochists?

Question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to but I'm just checking. There may be a new (to me) computer in my future. If I download Steam on my new computer, I'll still have all my old games, but any saved files won't be there. Yes or no?

Unless that particular game supports/is using Steam Cloud saves, you're correct.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2016, 05:49:45 PM »

Lol.  Have you played Dark Souls?  I haven't played 2 or 3 but the original was literally one of the hardest and most frustrating games I've ever played. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »

Lol.  Have you played Dark Souls?  I haven't played 2 or 3 but the original was literally one of the hardest and most frustrating games I've ever played.
masochist
a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.

Designed by sadists, perhaps? :P

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
« Reply #494 on: September 08, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »

masochist
a person who is gratified by pain, degradation, etc., that is self-imposed or imposed by others.

If I remember correctly, the lead designer was told that the game was too difficult after it was initially playtested, and in response he made it even harder.  He did say that the difficulty was there in order to increase the satisfaction from progressing in the game.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #495 on: September 08, 2016, 10:53:03 AM »

masochist

If I remember correctly, the lead designer was told that the game was too difficult after it was initially playtested, and in response he made it even harder.  He did say that the difficulty was there in order to increase the satisfaction from progressing in the game.

For even more self inflicted pain, play the *shitty* DS 2 port on PC with the default controls.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »
I discovered two pieces of sad news on the Steam front this week :(

- Mass Effect is no longer on sale! Sad face. Gamestop has used copies for the 360 for $4, so while I don't enjoy those types of games as much as on a desktop, I figure I'll try it and see if it's worth it (Steam as the first three games bundled for $30).
- I decided to buy Roller Coaster Tycoon (the original!) instead, which I absolutely loved as a kid. It wouldn't open! After trying Steam's recommended diagnostics, I asked for a refund (and was granted it within a few hours). But no Roller Coaster Tycoon :(

I ended up booting up a game I had gotten for free through Origin called Theme Hospital which I hadn't played in a while. Such a silly game but it does get quite challenging!

planR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
Currently playing Fallout 4 on PS4 ... been playing that game since it was release, just can't put it down. Sad thing is that I am working for one of their competitor :P

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #498 on: September 15, 2016, 10:01:08 PM »
Been playing the new Deus Ex game. Only fall releases I am interested in are Battlefield 1 and possibly Mafia III

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #499 on: September 16, 2016, 03:11:47 AM »
Thought I'd drop it here since it's been mentioned to me, two games that became free to play recently:
- The crew (on uplay)
- Evolve (on Steam I think)

Not saying they're the best games ever, but they look enjoyable and we can all appreciate free games ^^ Might try them out soon.

Myself I'm playing shadow of mordor now on my new computer. Picked it up for 10€ inclusive all dlc's on a steam sale. Really enjoying it. It's assassins creed gameplay with the Batman arkham series combat system, in a lotr setting.
And besides that rome 2 total war coop multiplayer with a friend. Just finished our egypt+seleucid campaign and now started a rome + epirus one.