Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 116863 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #950 on: August 12, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
That's so cool! Any plans to blog or journal about it?

I might post a separate thread about it but I don't really do a lot of blogging.   When we get to the point of having a online server and need some testing I will post about it in case anyone is interested in trying it out.   We want to make it free to play and are going to try and bring some of the things we have always wanted in games but have always been lacking.  We have been playing MMO type games all the way back to a game called The Shadow of Yserbius back in 1992 (on a 9600 baud dialup modem!)

This is pretty cool, what kind of theme are you going for?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: August 12, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
This is pretty cool, what kind of theme are you going for?

Deep space probe to distant solar system (1,000 light years away) where first contact was detected via radio telescope on earth in the late 21st century.   Traveling at a small fraction of the speed of light, the probe will take 50,000 years to reach the system.   Player human conscious loaded into neural net on probe (offline for the duration of travel to retain sanity).  Nanobots constantly repairing damaged systems during travel.   Upon landing, player avatar (the probe rover) discovers the alien civilization has vanished in some sort of immense cataclysm.  Primary goal shifts from the original mission directive of first contact to discovering what happened and relaying any new technology back to earth.  And survival of course :-).   A large number of other probes (players) were launched and have arrived with similar goals.

We are obviously working out the details here as we just started but there will be a crafting system that is essential to game progress and can't be cheated.  In other words, it will do you no good to go to Google and try to look up how to create XYZ.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Very cool. Unique concept, I like it! Looking forward to hearing more as it develops!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #953 on: August 13, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
When you get to the point where you need beta testers, remember to hit us up :)

AccidentialMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #954 on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
We are obviously working out the details here as we just started but there will be a crafting system that is essential to game progress and can't be cheated.  In other words, it will do you no good to go to Google and try to look up how to create XYZ.

Not that I don't wish you luck, but, um, good luck you're going to need it? I can't imagine how you're going to manage that without such complexity nobody gets it. If its simple + randomization (Asheron's Call's spell research) then people are going to build solvers that can with a few pieces of data tell you the exact component layout. If it is complex, how do you expect players to figure it out in the first place?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Quote from: AccidentialMustache link=topic=48147.msg1658965#msg1658965

Not that I don't wish you luck, but, um, good luck you're going to need it? I can't imagine how you're going to manage that without such complexity nobody gets it. If its simple + randomization (Asheron's Call's spell research) then people are going to build solvers that can with a few pieces of data tell you the exact component layout. If it is complex, how do you expect players to figure it out in the first place?

Interesting you bring up Asheron's Call spell research because that is something I really liked and one of the reasons we are going this route with crafting.   We were playing day one and I remember buying tapers and trying out spells, suddenly getting a whirling blade (or whatever it was called) and being so proud of my research.   The taper system was cheatable as you point out.

We have a system that is not too complex but impossible to cheat.  It will bring back the fun and reward of research and discovery but not be tedious since the research is essentially how you level up and gain power.  I don't want to reveal too much at this stage but I am kind of excited on how different this game might be from the thousands that are out there to choose from.

AccidentialMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #956 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
I look forward to something interesting then.

FWIW, if you hadn't noticed, though AC died at Turbine's hands, a lot of the decal folks are busy resurrecting re-implemented servers. They've done pretty well considering they've only had a few months.

Mustachian-friendly too -- game's so old even a junky machine with onboard graphics can probably run the client, and since it's emu servers, its free (otherwise they'd attract lawyers attention).

Also: Sith Sith Sith Sith Sith Sith Paj! *fizzle*

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: August 13, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »
That is one curiosity I have had (my wife being a software engineer could probably answer this).

How do these private servers for things like WoW, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.  get the server side source code in order to run?

Maybe for an old game it is easy, but there are WoW private servers and vanilla WoW servers.  I can't think Blizzard just gave out the server source code.

Was it leaked at some point?

For our game, there will be the client, but also the server code.  The client will be fairly useless without the server.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #958 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
That is one curiosity I have had (my wife being a software engineer could probably answer this).

How do these private servers for things like WoW, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.  get the server side source code in order to run?

Maybe for an old game it is easy, but there are WoW private servers and vanilla WoW servers.  I can't think Blizzard just gave out the server source code.

Was it leaked at some point?

For our game, there will be the client, but also the server code.  The client will be fairly useless without the server.

At a guess - you can on the client side see what info is coming to you. You can therefore reverse engineer what the server needs to send.

You might not be generating the info in the same way, but as long as you're saying "at x120,y200: there is a Tauren with clothing id 6005, holding item 435"... etc.
Tangerine Canada $50 free chequing sign up bonus, use Orange Key: 48322202S1

PayTM on Android/iOS - Pay property tax/bills with credit card for free (for the time being!). $10 signup bonus, use referral: PTM9691063. Alternative to Plastiq, great for reaching minimum spend.

Amex Canada referral - $350+ in sign up bonuses

AccidentialMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #959 on: August 15, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
At a guess - you can on the client side see what info is coming to you. You can therefore reverse engineer what the server needs to send.

Some (like wow) were probably leaked server binaries (or source). Some (like Asheron's Call) are reverse-engineering the protocol (lots of packet captures went on in the last 2 months) and re-building the server from scratch.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #960 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:43 AM »
I picked up Startup Company on Steam for $10 after watching a gamer on YouTube I like play a prereleased version. In hindsight, not sure if it's worth $10, but I've already but in 8 hours with plans to play more, so I'm not crying over the cost. Failed my first play through, but my second one seems "too big to fail" (my company is not going to die any time soon), which is helpful as I'm trying to figure out the other smaller goals of the game. In true mustachian form I paid off all my loans before advancing so I could purchase a bigger space/more employees/stuff debt free and in cash, which removes a bit of the challenge from the game. It's pretty fun, I'd recommend it.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: August 16, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
I saw that the next Monster Hunter game has been announced for early 2018, coming to PC, XB1, and PS4.

Monster Hunter is easily in my top 5 favorite game series. If you haven't heard of it, I'd recommend picking up an old copy for a couple bucks.