Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 214575 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #950 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Very cool. Unique concept, I like it! Looking forward to hearing more as it develops!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #951 on: August 13, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
When you get to the point where you need beta testers, remember to hit us up :)

AccidentialMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #952 on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
We are obviously working out the details here as we just started but there will be a crafting system that is essential to game progress and can't be cheated.  In other words, it will do you no good to go to Google and try to look up how to create XYZ.

Not that I don't wish you luck, but, um, good luck you're going to need it? I can't imagine how you're going to manage that without such complexity nobody gets it. If its simple + randomization (Asheron's Call's spell research) then people are going to build solvers that can with a few pieces of data tell you the exact component layout. If it is complex, how do you expect players to figure it out in the first place?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #953 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Quote from: AccidentialMustache link=topic=48147.msg1658965#msg1658965

Not that I don't wish you luck, but, um, good luck you're going to need it? I can't imagine how you're going to manage that without such complexity nobody gets it. If its simple + randomization (Asheron's Call's spell research) then people are going to build solvers that can with a few pieces of data tell you the exact component layout. If it is complex, how do you expect players to figure it out in the first place?

Interesting you bring up Asheron's Call spell research because that is something I really liked and one of the reasons we are going this route with crafting.   We were playing day one and I remember buying tapers and trying out spells, suddenly getting a whirling blade (or whatever it was called) and being so proud of my research.   The taper system was cheatable as you point out.

We have a system that is not too complex but impossible to cheat.  It will bring back the fun and reward of research and discovery but not be tedious since the research is essentially how you level up and gain power.  I don't want to reveal too much at this stage but I am kind of excited on how different this game might be from the thousands that are out there to choose from.

AccidentialMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #954 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
I look forward to something interesting then.

FWIW, if you hadn't noticed, though AC died at Turbine's hands, a lot of the decal folks are busy resurrecting re-implemented servers. They've done pretty well considering they've only had a few months.

Mustachian-friendly too -- game's so old even a junky machine with onboard graphics can probably run the client, and since it's emu servers, its free (otherwise they'd attract lawyers attention).

Also: Sith Sith Sith Sith Sith Sith Paj! *fizzle*

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: August 13, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »
That is one curiosity I have had (my wife being a software engineer could probably answer this).

How do these private servers for things like WoW, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.  get the server side source code in order to run?

Maybe for an old game it is easy, but there are WoW private servers and vanilla WoW servers.  I can't think Blizzard just gave out the server source code.

Was it leaked at some point?

For our game, there will be the client, but also the server code.  The client will be fairly useless without the server.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #956 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
That is one curiosity I have had (my wife being a software engineer could probably answer this).

How do these private servers for things like WoW, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.  get the server side source code in order to run?

Maybe for an old game it is easy, but there are WoW private servers and vanilla WoW servers.  I can't think Blizzard just gave out the server source code.

Was it leaked at some point?

For our game, there will be the client, but also the server code.  The client will be fairly useless without the server.

At a guess - you can on the client side see what info is coming to you. You can therefore reverse engineer what the server needs to send.

You might not be generating the info in the same way, but as long as you're saying "at x120,y200: there is a Tauren with clothing id 6005, holding item 435"... etc.

AccidentialMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #957 on: August 15, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
At a guess - you can on the client side see what info is coming to you. You can therefore reverse engineer what the server needs to send.

Some (like wow) were probably leaked server binaries (or source). Some (like Asheron's Call) are reverse-engineering the protocol (lots of packet captures went on in the last 2 months) and re-building the server from scratch.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #958 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:43 AM »
I picked up Startup Company on Steam for $10 after watching a gamer on YouTube I like play a prereleased version. In hindsight, not sure if it's worth $10, but I've already but in 8 hours with plans to play more, so I'm not crying over the cost. Failed my first play through, but my second one seems "too big to fail" (my company is not going to die any time soon), which is helpful as I'm trying to figure out the other smaller goals of the game. In true mustachian form I paid off all my loans before advancing so I could purchase a bigger space/more employees/stuff debt free and in cash, which removes a bit of the challenge from the game. It's pretty fun, I'd recommend it.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: August 16, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
I saw that the next Monster Hunter game has been announced for early 2018, coming to PC, XB1, and PS4.

Monster Hunter is easily in my top 5 favorite game series. If you haven't heard of it, I'd recommend picking up an old copy for a couple bucks.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #960 on: November 05, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
Dropped in to say hi!  Been playing Dishonored 2, got a b2g1 coupon at Gamestop with some credit might pick up some new stuff. I won a Switch a few months ago

Newer games with a lot of life, Zelda Botw, Player Unknown Battlegrounds, and GTA V. Still putting lots of time into those.

BudgetSlasher

• Bristles
« Reply #961 on: November 05, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »
I think I might pick up Final Fantasy XV now that it is down a fair bit on price; it should hold me over until the first installment of the Final Fantasy VII remake is release at the end of the year. If I have the free time, I may go spendypants and buy it new early on, the nostalgia might be too strong; that being said I have lots of projects that will keep me busy for long enough for a price drop or two.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #962 on: November 05, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
Blizzard has announced that not only will the Starcraft II arcade be free to play, the first single-player campaign will become free to play this month.  The game isn't super recent, but it's a lot of fun and has a great story line.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #963 on: November 05, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »
Blizzard has announced that not only will the Starcraft II arcade be free to play, the first single-player campaign will become free to play this month.  The game isn't super recent, but it's a lot of fun and has a great story line.

They are also apparently finally releasing a vanilla WoW server. RIP productivity...

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
They are also apparently finally releasing a vanilla WoW server. RIP productivity...

Oh crap.  You did not just tell me this.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #965 on: November 06, 2017, 07:03:24 AM »
I think I might pick up Final Fantasy XV now that it is down a fair bit on price; it should hold me over until the first installment of the Final Fantasy VII remake is release at the end of the year. If I have the free time, I may go spendypants and buy it new early on, the nostalgia might be too strong; that being said I have lots of projects that will keep me busy for long enough for a price drop or two.

I had low expectations going into FFXV and was sorely disappointed...

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #966 on: November 06, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »
Dropping in to say I enjoyed Destiny 2 for quite a while when my friends and I were playing it.  I haven't been playing so much recently though.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: November 06, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »
Downloading the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC and eagerly awaiting midnight. Taking tomorrow off to play. Not the most Mustachian, but my account had a $10 credit for some reason, so only paid half price. If it's as good as the base game, I'll get lots of hours of play out of it.

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #968 on: November 06, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
I'm playing DOS 2. Very engrossing and definitely the spiritual successor to NWN and Baldur's Gate.

Torment 2 was...so-so. The plot just didn't work and the point recovery system wasn't well considered.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #969 on: November 07, 2017, 08:05:23 AM »
I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, that I've been rocking since August. 45 hours in. Think maybe I'm in Act 3? can't be sure!

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #970 on: November 07, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
Torment 2 was...so-so. The plot just didn't work and the point recovery system wasn't well considered.

Agreed. I backed the game and boy did they screw up the project management. It really shows in the final product.

Right now I'm mainlining Stellaris while waiting for POE2 to drop.

bacchi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #971 on: November 07, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »
I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, that I've been rocking since August. 45 hours in. Think maybe I'm in Act 3? can't be sure!

I'm adding it to my list. I enjoyed DA and DA 2.

Right now I'm mainlining Stellaris while waiting for POE2 to drop.

Stellaris also looks fun. When I finish Divinity, and then Wasteland 2, I'll look into Stellaris.

POE2 looks like it'll be a grade A game. They really pushed "fishing" in the funding, which is kinda weird, but the other funding upgrades are solid.

(Being RE is awesome. I'm playing catch up with all the games I've missed.)

thedigitalone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #972 on: November 07, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
I found a Steam coupon code for the new Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus game for $37 vs. the regular $59.95 price.

I'm getting slower with age so I'll get plenty of playtime out of it.  Reminds me of my C64 days so many years ago!

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #973 on: November 07, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
Played World of Warcraft like it was a part time job from 2005 to 2010. Reduced my game time to a few hours a month from 2014-2016.  Haven't played in over six months.  My 7 year old pretty much took over my account.  I taught him how to play Command & Conquer 3 last year and we did team and vs matches almost daily for most of 2016.  I also play Empire: Total War quite frequently.  I saw an advertisement for Civilization 6 on Steam and decided to spend the $5 and reacquire Civilization 3.  I've been playing that non stop for a week.  I absolutely loved that game when it came out and my nostalgia has completely kicked back into gear and I will probably play it for the next year.  Basically I don't play new games.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #974 on: November 07, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
I finished Uncharted 3 (the last of the Uncharted Collection I have)...if anybody wants to swap me for another PS4 game, I'm happy to trade.

Vertical Mode

• Bristles
« Reply #975 on: November 08, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
Played World of Warcraft like it was a part time job from 2005 to 2010. Reduced my game time to a few hours a month from 2014-2016.  Haven't played in over six months.  My 7 year old pretty much took over my account.  I taught him how to play Command & Conquer 3 last year and we did team and vs matches almost daily for most of 2016.  I also play Empire: Total War quite frequently.  I saw an advertisement for Civilization 6 on Steam and decided to spend the $5 and reacquire Civilization 3.  I've been playing that non stop for a week.  I absolutely loved that game when it came out and my nostalgia has completely kicked back into gear and I will probably play it for the next year.  Basically I don't play new games.

Haha, me either. Still love Civ 3, thought the notion of culture/territory was a great addition.

farmecologist

• Bristles
« Reply #976 on: November 09, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »

Picked up a game called ELEX.  At first glance, it isn't very impressive....because reviewers said 'combat is too hard', etc...

With that being said, if you are fan of 'old school' RPGs that don't hold your hand...this game is for you.  It is by the Piranha Bytes team ( Gothic series, Risen series, etc.. ) so by definition the game has it's quirks. 

However, what drew me to the game is the uniqueness of it.  It really is a neat combination of fantasy (Skyrim), post-apocalyptic (Fallout), and futuristic (mass Effect).  I've never played anything like it.  The world they built rewards exploration and is extremely well done.   The writing and quests are rather impressive too.  Kudos to the dev team for ambition!  Due to the early-game difficulty, you do have to give the game a few hours to 'get going' though.  However, the difficulty really gives you a great sense of satisfaction as you progress.

Anyway, the reason I posted about it here is because I'd expect the price to drop on it very fast due to the mediocre initial reviews.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #977 on: November 09, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
Is there anything out there currently (legal) that is similar to the WoW classic vanilla experience?   I am crushed after reading it might not be released for 2 years.  I was ready to roll my priest or warlock and grind my way up to running the original Scholomance.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: November 09, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
Is there anything out there currently (legal) that is similar to the WoW classic vanilla experience?   I am crushed after reading it might not be released for 2 years.  I was ready to roll my priest or warlock and grind my way up to running the original Scholomance.

I believe there is a way to set up private local servers to play Vanilla style. I have no idea how to actually do it though.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #979 on: November 09, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
check out https://elysium-project.org/. It's had some drama and stability/uptime issues but it's the only one AFAIK with a large enough number of players to find groups and reasonably sustain an economy. I played for a bit but lost interest after the friends I was playing with bailed. It was fun but really drove home the need for a stable platform and a large player base, two things that an official Blizzard-backed version should resolve, albeit a couple years from now.

Although as much as I'd like to see an official Vanilla server, I would **love** a BC or WotLK server even more. Those expansions solved a lot of the early "Quality of Life" issues while still maintaining the playstyle and difficulty of the original game, IMO.

lemonlyman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #980 on: November 09, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
I was playing Bloodborne like crazy and then I got stuck on a boss. I'll probably pick up something to play next on a Black Friday sale.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #981 on: November 10, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
I caved and bought a custom built gaming computer - much cheaper than buying a pre-made gaming computer, but I spent more than some people here might approve of. I don't care - unexpected money came in, I'm already above my savings goal for the year, and my old computer was failing to shit. I have a graphics card that works!!! That's actually really good!!!

I've really been enjoying Cities Skylines, and I picked up Planet Coaster when it was on sale. Beautiful games! And I get lost in them for hours... I think it's been 20 mins and two hours have gone by. Also... Sims 4, which I'm kicking myself for getting back into, but I admit I'm dying for the new Pets expansion pack. I'll wait until it's a bundle deal with something else (that's how I picked up City Living, and how I'm planning on getting Get Together eventually).

Looking through the Steam sale... Layers of Fear is on sale for $5. If you're a horror game person at all, this game looked amazing. There's no way I could ever play it myself, but I watched a play through and... wow. You can get the game and the sequel DLC for $5.74... I didn't quite get the sequel, but I'd still recommend it for only $0.75.

Sid Meyer's Civilization V is on sale for $7.50 (VI is on sale too but for more than I'm willing to pay). The "complete" bundle is $12.27. I've heard the Civilization games are great - is it worth it?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:31:21 PM by Lis »

ptobeast

• Stubble
« Reply #982 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »
Sid Meyer's Civilization V is on sale for $7.50 (VI is on sale too but for more than I'm willing to pay). The "complete" bundle is $12.27. I've heard the Civilization games are great - is it worth it?

I have been playing Civ games since Civ 3 came out, have lost more weekends to that game than I can count, all of them very well spent. $12.27 is a great price for the Civ 5 bundle, totally recommend getting it.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #983 on: November 10, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
I played Civilization (the original!) way  more than I care to admit.  It can be very addictive.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #984 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:32 AM »

I have been playing Civ games since Civ 3 came out, have lost more weekends to that game than I can count, all of them very well spent. $12.27 is a great price for the Civ 5 bundle, totally recommend getting it.

"Just one more turn" resulted in going to bed at 1am last night.

Roboturner

• Bristles
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #985 on: November 14, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
Downloading the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC and eagerly awaiting midnight. Taking tomorrow off to play. Not the most Mustachian, but my account had a $10 credit for some reason, so only paid half price. If it's as good as the base game, I'll get lots of hours of play out of it.

I just got the main game, pleasantly surprised! It's like Skyrim-light, or some Skyrim/Witcher mix, so if you enjoyed those then you'd likely like this one! How's the DLC? i may be interested in it in about a year when I finish the main bit

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2017, 07:26:59 AM »

I just got the main game, pleasantly surprised! It's like Skyrim-light, or some Skyrim/Witcher mix, so if you enjoyed those then you'd likely like this one! How's the DLC? i may be interested in it in about a year when I finish the main bit
It was very enjoyable. They kept all of the stuff that makes the game great and added some nice new features and challenges. The new machines are nasty though, so you'd need to be fairly high level to tackle it. There wasn't nearly as much world building through data points, but that's understandable given the scope of the DLC. They did answer some of the questions left over at the end of the main game, which was nice. And they very strongly implied that one of my personal theories is correct, which was pretty exciting. Basically, if you like the main game, you'll probably enjoy the DLC.

Oh and they made faces much more expressive and less Uncanny Valley. But for some characters, I think they made them a little too expressive, almost caricature-like. They'll get it right eventually.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #987 on: December 01, 2017, 12:47:19 PM »
I've been playing the heck out of Sonic Mania lately! I find it's style of retro-ness much more appealing than a lot of other attempts at going back to oldschool roots, for some reason. Like Shovel Knight, it was obviously made by fans as more of a love letter than a cash-grab.

Shaz_Au

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #988 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:32 PM »
Just in case you hadn't seen this elsewhere, Ubishit are giving away the following games on their uPlay platform:

World in Conflict (including the expansion Soviet Assault) will be FREE and downloadable for PC from December 4th to December 11th

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PC will be available for FREE from December 11th to December 18th

Here's the link ubisoft.com/happyplaydays_pr

farmecologist

• Bristles
« Reply #989 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »

Sounds like many of us like open world RPGs.  If so, please try Assasins Creed Origins when the price drops.  I'm not typically a huge fan of the series but this one has obviously taken inspiration from Witcher 3.   After playing it for around 15 hours, I'm very impressed.  The game is huge and beautiful and has a very good story.  The ancient Egypt setting is a welcome change from all of the 'high fantasy' games that have been released lately.

FI40

• Stubble
« Reply #990 on: December 08, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
Anybody playing CS:GO?

PM me if you want to get a round in! I'm only silver 3.

« Reply #991 on: December 08, 2017, 06:16:31 PM »
WOLOLO

drudgep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #992 on: December 08, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »
Anyone playing Payday 2? Got it for free this year- really enjoying it.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #993 on: December 11, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »
Combined parts from 2 different XP systems I recently inherited from deceased relatives with parts from my closet o' obsolete tech and setup a retrogaming machine.  First down was Astro Avenger II.  Beat it on the first play through on Pilot (standard) difficulty.  Now moving on to Star Trek: Armada!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #994 on: December 24, 2017, 10:02:09 AM »
I finally broke down, gave in, and bought a Switch.  First non-obsolete console purchase of my life.  I was still playing the N64 and PS2 (I got when each was already replaced by an upgrade and therefor got for free/cheap), until last month.

In my Mustachian defense, I got it used on Craigslist, $750 for console, extra set joycons, 2 procontrollers, charging base, joycon grip bases, 4 wheels, screen protector, carrying case, stand, microSD card, 10 physical major title games, and about 10 downloaded games, including almost everything I was interested in getting.  Retail would have been more than double what I paid, without tax.
And I've actually been using it quite a bit, party games with groups of friends, Overcooked every night with my wife, and all free time consumed by the new LoZ which, even with all the hype, not only fails to disappoint, but was still surprisingly impressive.  I had to set up a timer on the TV so I would actually sleep at night.  I spent about 5 days / 20-30 hours just exploring and doing side quests before even getting around to starting the first quest, and now a couple weeks in, with still most of my Hyrule time being spent exploring, I've found all of 67 Korok seeds (out of, according to the internet, 900).
So I feel like I'm going to end up getting my money's worth in terms of dollar per hour of entertainment...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #995 on: December 26, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
...and all free time consumed by the new LoZ which, even with all the hype, not only fails to disappoint, but was still surprisingly impressive.

I must be the only person who doesn't like that game very much :-/

I hate that weapons break. What kind of sword breaks after three hits?! I guess I didn't get into it enough, and forget how combat works between sessions. I hate the stupid puzzles in the shrines... when I go, oh, I'm looking at this all wrong, and figure out the trick it makes me annoyed that I wasted time rather than pleased that I solved it. I hate the stupid guardian? things that one shot you.

I'm just not very good at it, I suppose :P

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #996 on: December 26, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
...and all free time consumed by the new LoZ which, even with all the hype, not only fails to disappoint, but was still surprisingly impressive.

I must be the only person who doesn't like that game very much :-/

I hate that weapons break. What kind of sword breaks after three hits?! I guess I didn't get into it enough, and forget how combat works between sessions. I hate the stupid puzzles in the shrines... when I go, oh, I'm looking at this all wrong, and figure out the trick it makes me annoyed that I wasted time rather than pleased that I solved it. I hate the stupid guardian? things that one shot you.

I'm just not very good at it, I suppose :P

lol, it helps to have been a fan of the series for a long time.  The puzzles have been a staple since the beginning, and increased in how central they are all along. I still get stuck occasionally, but I think being familiar with how the designers think helps figure it out faster.  The weapons you find early break easy, but you eventually find stronger ones, and end up picking up new good weapons faster than they break, and end up having to drop good gear that's never been used to make space for something even better you find.  The guardians almost never hit you if you don't stop moving.

I love how large and detailed it is, and how you can stand on a high mountain top and look around at the landscape, and everything you can see in the far distance, you can actually get to.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #997 on: December 27, 2017, 06:59:28 AM »
My burning question on the Switch is ... do I have to move around to play it? I was completely lost on all Zelda games on the Wii the second I realized I had to like, wave my arm around like I was sword fighting irl. I could handle bowling with a flick of the wrist or something trivial, but standing in my living room having epic sword fight battles was too much lol. I mean, have you SEEN the YouTube videos of people doing this LOL. I couldn't get over it. I'm ready to play a lazy, thumb-exercising video game again!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: December 27, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »
There are some games that are designed around motion control, but they are the exception.
In Zelda BotW they are totally optional, and specifically for aiming (primarily aiming with the bow, and the location that spells take place).
I initially expected it to feel gimmicky and to turn it off after a while, but I actually got used to it very quickly, and it just feels like yet another control on the 2 joystick 16 button controller (every single one of which is used in that game)

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #999 on: December 27, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »
My burning question on the Switch is ... do I have to move around to play it? I was completely lost on all Zelda games on the Wii the second I realized I had to like, wave my arm around like I was sword fighting irl. I could handle bowling with a flick of the wrist or something trivial, but standing in my living room having epic sword fight battles was too much lol. I mean, have you SEEN the YouTube videos of people doing this LOL. I couldn't get over it. I'm ready to play a lazy, thumb-exercising video game again!

No the Switch controller/s are not Wiimotes. There are analog and digital dpads and buttons. No epic arm waving needed.

I have the WiiU - just a big touchscreen in the middle of a controller. I think you tilt the pad for fine aiming though.