Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780912 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »
About 15 hours into Stardew Valley now and I think it's great for gamers with busy lives! Lots of fun, always something to do to feel like you're making progress, but not too "grindy" (except fishing can sometimes feel that way). Each "day" takes maybe 15-20 minutes to play, so it's perfect for short sessions. I could see this easily being a ~60 hour game just for one playthrough. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys the Harvest Moon genre and only $15 at full price.

I was just about to recommend this game, it's very relaxing and I'm starting to unlock some of the stories by befriending the towns people enough (basically giving them a bunch of gifts). It's nice to have a game that's just about exploring and not kiling/getting killed all the time (though those are fun too).

Also, it's one guy who designed the whole game! I find that pretty bad ass.

This game kills me. When I first got it, I think I spent 70+ hours on it in a little over a week. To be fair, I have a tendency to leave it open for a while and walk away (since you can only save at the end of the day), and I was home sick for a day or two and couldn't do much more than crawl over to my desk chair and sit there like a lump. Then I just stopped. I picked it back up the other day and had a hard time getting back into it.

My friend is obsessed with Banner Saga. I really want to try it but I'm waiting for it to go on sale.

I ultimately had a similar experience. Spent a good 45 hours on it (and genuinely enjoyed them all), but then just stopped. Still, at $0.33/hour of relaxing entertainment, I would say the investment was worth it!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
Got FF IX on Steam. Bloody Sealion got me, did continue.... And then found I'd missed a mognet letter.

UGH.

This is why I hate this game. Playing the PSP release I missed one Stiltzkin package.

Still. Speed boost is nice... I'll do some grinding later on, and I can flick it off and on in battle to speed stuff up.

I get that the characters are good. But the actual game is annoying. We'll see how far I get this time.

Looking forward to the VII remake, though it'll mean buying a ps4. Not sure if I should get XV.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
I bought Doom the other day.  $37.99 on CDKeys after 5% coupon.

omg.

It feels like the 90's again, in such a good way. I haven't played such a familiar old-school shooter in years!

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
I play Dark Age of Camelot on a free server. I played Starcraft II for a while a couple years back but wasn't skilled enough to keep it fun lol.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2016, 02:21:41 PM »
I started playing Total War: Warhammer. I used to the play Warhammer 40k/Fantasy as a kid on tabletop, so it feels like I'm back in the 90's again without the pain of having to paint 100's of miniatures. Plus, it's my first Total War game so the learning curve is somewhat steep, but it's been a blast so far.

Felicity

• Stubble
  • ruff!
    • Fetching Financial Freedom
« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »
We started playing Chrono Trigger on an emulator this weekend. Having a lot of fun with it so far. :)

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
I play Dark Age of Camelot on a free server. I played Starcraft II for a while a couple years back but wasn't skilled enough to keep it fun lol.

DAOC is still around?  I played a smite cleric then a bonedancer on that back when it was just out...must have been 14 years ago now?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »
I started playing Total War: Warhammer. I used to the play Warhammer 40k/Fantasy as a kid on tabletop, so it feels like I'm back in the 90's again without the pain of having to paint 100's of miniatures. Plus, it's my first Total War game so the learning curve is somewhat steep, but it's been a blast so far.

Was seriously thinking about picking this one up. I've never played a Total War or Warhammer game, but the idea of a fantasy themed epic strategy game where I can watch waves of dwarfs and orcs crash into each other sounds pretty sweet. I'll probably try to wait for a good sale, though, as I could see myself giving up if the learning curve is too steep. I don't seem to have the patience I used to when it comes to learning complicated games.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
I ended up buying Overwatch and it's super fun. Would recommend, especially if you have friends that play.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Enjoying Doom, trying to finish the Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC then its on to Witcher 3 DLC. After that, I've got nothing new on my plate for a few months.

Might fire up Baldur's Gate EE or go back to Divinity Original Sin

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:52 AM »
Enjoying Doom, trying to finish the Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC then its on to Witcher 3 DLC. After that, I've got nothing new on my plate for a few months.

As much as I want Doom.. I just can't pay the AAA prices on first release.
I've been playing Brutal Doom, a mod for Doom 2 which is just breathtakingly extensive. Absolutely amazing what the guy has been able to do with such an ancient engine. It's so damn good, it's scratching the exact itch that the new game was promising. I'll wait for a steam sale down the line to pick up the new one.

Did you play Pillars of Eternity? I haven't got around to knocking off it's two DLCs but I loved the main game. I tried to go back to Baldur's Gate but it's just too oldschool for me now (yes, my last paragraph was about doom 2), Pillars is a great reinvention.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #361 on: June 02, 2016, 04:11:41 AM »

I've been playing Brutal Doom, a mod for Doom 2 which is just breathtakingly extensive. Absolutely amazing what the guy has been able to do with such an ancient engine. It's so damn good, it's scratching the exact itch that the new game was promising. I'll wait for a steam sale down the line to pick up the new one.

Did you play Pillars of Eternity? I haven't got around to knocking off it's two DLCs but I loved the main game. I tried to go back to Baldur's Gate but it's just too oldschool for me now (yes, my last paragraph was about doom 2), Pillars is a great reinvention.

If it helps at all, cdkeys has Doom for $39.99 and you can find a 5% Facebook-related coupon, bringing you to $37.99. I very rarely buy games this close to release, but I have no regrets.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: June 02, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
DAOC is still around?  I played a smite cleric then a bonedancer on that back when it was just out...must have been 14 years ago now?

Yeah lol, I play on a classic server so the target patch/content is old. I actually never played the real DAOC when it was out. Skald is my main. https://uthgard.org/

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2016, 04:28:59 AM »
I am now unemployed, so when I'm not sending out CV's and worrying about finding new work, I'm playing Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria on PS2.  My fiancé tried to play it a few weeks ago and ragequit - he found the game mechanics unfair and far too difficult.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #364 on: June 06, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »

I have not tried Pillars but I'll keep an eye on the price

zoltani

« Reply #365 on: June 13, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
A friend let me borrow an xbox 360 and it has renewed my interest in games. Been playing bioshock 2, fallout 3, and GTA5. The 360 is old and has some problems and I'm thinking of jumping off the deep end and getting a PS4. Not sure if I want to go down the rabbit hole, this would be an easier decision if it were winter. Should I pull the trigger?

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #366 on: June 13, 2016, 01:22:30 PM »
I prefer handheld console games, but have regular consoles as well.  My go to's are Pokemon and Animal Crossing.  I like the Nintendo and Playstation platforms.

One of the reasons I want to FIRE is so I can play video games.  I'd like to play through the Persona series, Final Fantasy series, Kingdom Hearts series, Atelier series, Skyrim and many others.  I am hoarding many video games to play when I finally have more free time.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #367 on: June 13, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
Been pretty obsessed with Rocket League on Xbox One over the last couple of months.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #368 on: June 13, 2016, 02:08:19 PM »
Well.. I preordered Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy VII Remake, and No Man's Sky, all for PS4.

I don't own a PS4.

Thankfully I have some Amazon credit to pay for a PS4, which I'm hoping will get cheaper this week due to E3 or something.

zoltani

« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2016, 02:11:47 PM »
Oh, so it is possible that the PS4 will get cheaper after the E3 expo?

I've been looking at craigslist for used ones so far.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
Just started the 3 month trial of geforce now on my nvidia shield tablet and have fallen in love with Batman Arkham Origins.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
All this talk about PS4/PS4+...I am just getting around to get a used PS3...I don't even know how many years behind I am... I still have a number of PS2 games that I bought but never had the time to play. The funny things is I still want to replay some PS1 games. At this pace, I will be buying PS4+ when they announce PS6...

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »

Yeah it's expected there will be a price cut I think.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »

Keep an eye out for online deals. I got the Ebay deal of the day Uncharted bundle for $350 (free shipping, no tax) that came with the console, Nathan Drake Collection, and Uncharted 4. You could sell the two games it came with for $85. This makes the actual PS4 $265. I think that's a good number.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #374 on: June 14, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
+1 to deal hunting.  I picked my PS4 up last November (a few weeks before Black Friday) for ~$240 + tax at Target (including the Uncharted collection).

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »
I just read an article about E3 and how Sony is all about games while Microsoft is more about hardware. As such, people were more excited about Sony. Then I watched a video showing some of Sony's presentation. Good god are those graphics sharp! The games look really nice, them bringing back some franchises as well as starting a new one or two. Plus their VR they plan on releasing.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
I just read an article about E3 and how Sony is all about games while Microsoft is more about hardware. As such, people were more excited about Sony. Then I watched a video showing some of Sony's presentation. Good god are those graphics sharp! The games look really nice, them bringing back some franchises as well as starting a new one or two. Plus their VR they plan on releasing.

Maybe Microsoft has realized that they were destroyed on the hardware front last time, and now they want to make up for it.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »

Maybe Microsoft has realized that they were destroyed on the hardware front last time, and now they want to make up for it.

Funny thing is that the article also said it was the same last year, and Sony continued with the "game" focus. I didn't read any articles about it last year so I can't be sure. Although, I think I remember Microsoft making a big deal about their HoloLens last year.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: June 15, 2016, 01:29:48 PM »
I am madly in love with this game. I am the opposite of you: never played Warhammer, but love the TW series. Literally can't stop playing.

zoltani

« Reply #379 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:42 PM »
Woah, saw the spiderman trailer that came out of E3, what amazing graphics! It looks pretty fun too.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: June 15, 2016, 07:34:40 PM »
I own about 30 original XBox games that I purchased back in 2005-2007 in my pre-Mustachian days. A lot of them are multiplayer and I never got around to playing a bunch of them. I just learned that some fans have basically made their own version of XBox Live to play these old games, since Microsoft ended XBox Live service for this console about six years ago. Over the summer, I'm going to figure out the tech to hook this old beast up and relive the glory days when I was in my 20s and wasted my money on stupid crap instead of paying the electric bill. :-P

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #381 on: June 15, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »
I am madly in love with this game. I am the opposite of you: never played Warhammer, but love the TW series. Literally can't stop playing.

I bought and installed a new Nvidia GTX 1080 for this game after I bought it. It looks amazing on full detail, so much fun.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2016, 08:57:29 PM »
Been playing Witcher 3: Blood and Wine. I can only imagine what that game looks like on PC

Dmoneyzzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life's either a daring adventure or nothing at all
« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »
Howdy everyone, it's neat to see a bunch of gamers who also care about their financial security!

I've been playing Type Racer lately :)

I think it's pretty exciting, I also play Age of Empires 3 on the PC from time to time.  This is great thread, thanks.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2016, 06:36:16 AM »
The old-school Star Wars space sims are 50% off at GOG (the whole series is $20) - https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition

I had forgotten how awesome TIE Fighter was.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #385 on: June 20, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »

I bought and installed a new Nvidia GTX 1080 for this game after I bought it. It looks amazing on full detail, so much fun.

For 500-700$ USD, as sure as hell hope it looks nice!!!! :)

Myself, I would probably snag a RX470-480 later in the year if they live to their hype.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #386 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
What settings do you guys game at? I just bought a GTX 960 and it's enough to run everything I own quite nicely at 1920x1080 at maximum settings. Are there really that many mustachians with 4k or 2560p displays?

I can't believe how cheap good-enough performance has gotten!

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:34:14 AM by grantmeaname »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #387 on: June 20, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
What settings do you guys game at? I just bought a GTX 960 and it's enough to run everything I own quite nicely at 1920x1080 at maximum settings. Are there really that many mustachians with 4k or 2560p displays?

I can't believe how cheap good-enough performance has gotten!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

4k if I can (usually older titles), otherwise 1080 max'd out. 3570k / GTX 970.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #388 on: June 20, 2016, 02:38:57 PM »
Just finished Borderlands Pre Sequel, which I enjoyed very much. I run a two year old GTX 770 and it runs any game I throw at it just fine on max settings @ 1920x1080.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #389 on: June 23, 2016, 10:53:06 AM »
I love MMOs where I can decorate. Right now I'm playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) pretty much exclusively. I'm currently working on decorating my 3rd player house. My husband likes to joke that i only complete missions so I have money to decorate. Hey, gotta keep myself in the style to which I've become accustomed. :) (Oh, and it curbs my urge to spend more money on decorating IRL.)

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #390 on: June 27, 2016, 07:35:23 AM »
Steam summer sales :-) I bought rome 2 total war yesterday, along with greek cities dlc. (15€) Goodbyeeee evenings and weekends!
Been lurking at a couple of other games, but eventually decided it was not worth it ^^

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #391 on: June 27, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
Steam summer sale strikes again. Picked up Civ: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide expansion and I'm just testing it out now.

I'm a huge Civ 5 fan and was a bit disappointed with Beyond Earth on release.  I know the expansions added some depth to Civ 5 so hopefully this helps BE.

I love MMOs where I can decorate. Right now I'm playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) pretty much exclusively. I'm currently working on decorating my 3rd player house. My husband likes to joke that i only complete missions so I have money to decorate. Hey, gotta keep myself in the style to which I've become accustomed. :) (Oh, and it curbs my urge to spend more money on decorating IRL.)

I get this. I got an odd calming satisfaction from collecting materials in Skyrim to build a house with the Hearthfire addition.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #392 on: June 27, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
Steam summer sale strikes again. Picked up Civ: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide expansion and I'm just testing it out now.

I'm a huge Civ 5 fan and was a bit disappointed with Beyond Earth on release.  I know the expansions added some depth to Civ 5 so hopefully this helps BE.

This perfectly describes how a good friend of mine and I felt with BE. Please keep us posted on how you feel about the expansion. We've been playing a lot of Endless Legends lately instead of CIV 5. We dropped BE almost a week after release. We were really disappointed with it.

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
I've sunk so many hours into Endless Legends. With all the DLC installed there is so much going on, never a dull moment.

I auto-resolve all battles tho, can't stand the combat interface. Kinda wish it was a bit more like a Heroes of M&M combat system - its halfway there already. Just zoom in on the battlefield a bit, make the unit control completely direct instead of the weird vague control system they have. Maybe in the sequel.

Glad to see Civ VI is adopting many ideas from it.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »
I've sunk so many hours into Endless Legends. With all the DLC installed there is so much going on, never a dull moment.

I auto-resolve all battles tho, can't stand the combat interface. Kinda wish it was a bit more like a Heroes of M&M combat system - its halfway there already. Just zoom in on the battlefield a bit, make the unit control completely direct instead of the weird vague control system they have. Maybe in the sequel.

Glad to see Civ VI is adopting many ideas from it.

I manual the Silics battles. The enemy unit can only move 1 space at a time and you can kite them to take no damage, if you have a ranged army that is. If you auto resolve they usually do a lot of damage early on. This is an awesome little Easter egg for me because I put them at top priority for assimilation followed by the Dorgeshi.

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: July 01, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »

This perfectly describes how a good friend of mine and I felt with BE. Please keep us posted on how you feel about the expansion. We've been playing a lot of Endless Legends lately instead of CIV 5. We dropped BE almost a week after release. We were really disappointed with it.

Ok, so I've put a few more hours into it and it is better, but... it's still not holding my attention like Civ 5 or Europa Universalis does. Exploring the map is more interesting and they've added some more nuggets to find. The artifact system is neat and they've changed the diplomacy system for the better. Also, seems like they tweaked alien aggression in a positive way. There's a lot of little improvements, but it really feels like they just put some more makeup on Frankenstein's monster, but still haven't figured out how to bring it to life -- if that makes any sense.

I might just end up picking up Endless Legends, instead.

FIstateofmind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: July 03, 2016, 11:17:09 PM »
I use emulators and a $25 controller to play old games online. I also like flash games.

whitedragon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »

I haven't tried Total War: Warhammer, but I wanted to give a shout out to a fellow tabletop player!  I didn't think there were any other mustachians doing it (or did it).

As far as other Warhammery Video Games, the Dawn of War series is really good to get into if you're into that 40k feeling.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I actually haven't done any video gaming recently at all, been focusing on the tabletop stuff lately (including alot of painting/modelling).

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »

I haven't tried Total War: Warhammer, but I wanted to give a shout out to a fellow tabletop player!  I didn't think there were any other mustachians doing it (or did it).

As far as other Warhammery Video Games, the Dawn of War series is really good to get into if you're into that 40k feeling.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I actually haven't done any video gaming recently at all, been focusing on the tabletop stuff lately (including alot of painting/modelling).

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #399 on: July 07, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
Oh God!  I hope my savings are enough, because I'm gonna get fired.  Pokemon Go came out yesterday and there is a gym at the end of the hall in my building.