Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780882 times)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
Playing Rise of the Tomb Raider now. Graphics are gorgeous and game play is excellent.
urg. Been lusting after that one as well
Got it on Steam on a 50% off sale day.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, and when we have guests over, Pokemon Stadium Kids Club, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros.

I am actually considering my first console purchase since I got the N64 (used, after PS2 and xbox were out, for $25, in 2003 give or take) once LoZ Breath of the Wild comes out for the Switch.  Just in time for (semi?) retirement!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #552 on: November 20, 2016, 05:20:44 AM »
Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, and when we have guests over, Pokemon Stadium Kids Club, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros.

I am actually considering my first console purchase since I got the N64 (used, after PS2 and xbox were out, for $25, in 2003 give or take) once LoZ Breath of the Wild comes out for the Switch.  Just in time for (semi?) retirement!

Super Smash Bros is a party classic.  Between that, Kart and Mario Party, I've never felt that I'd ever need a Wii or any other 'group' console gaming system.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #553 on: November 20, 2016, 09:14:20 PM »

Super Smash Bros is a party classic.  Between that, Kart and Mario Party, I've never felt that I'd ever need a Wii or any other 'group' console gaming system.

Mario Party and Mario Kart are great party games for non-gamers

I picked up Dishonored 2, Skyrim Remastered and Titanfall 2, all on the cheap thanks to Best Buy running a buy one get another game 40% and Titanfall 2 was $27. Havent played any of them been playing Battlefield 1, and its a lot of fun

Anyone getting games on Black Friday?

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #554 on: November 29, 2016, 10:20:20 AM »
Just bought Titanfall 2 ( 29 bucks at walmart!) , great game so far ! Only played single player but it's fun! If you like mechs buy it ! Didn't play the first one but I might buy it after I get through this one.

Have the new Final Fantasy coming - it was on sale with amazon prime (using the first free month membership deal) for like $ 40 bucks shipped !

Cheap new video games ftw !

Ohhhhhh man I got to try out my buddies ps4 pro / vr headset ! He had some horror game (forget the name of it) that was amazing! Surprisingly the headset did not get heavy after an hour or so of use. Very well made! Will have to buy it once prices come down ! So dang tempting though! Glad I became frugal before all this fancy tech came out or my wallet would be on fire right now lol

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #555 on: November 29, 2016, 10:35:55 AM »

Mario Party and Mario Kart are great party games for non-gamers

I picked up Dishonored 2, Skyrim Remastered and Titanfall 2, all on the cheap thanks to Best Buy running a buy one get another game 40% and Titanfall 2 was $27. Havent played any of them been playing Battlefield 1, and its a lot of fun

Anyone getting games on Black Friday?

Dang ! beat me by 2 bucks on the titanfall 2 deal lol

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #556 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
This thread should be in the antimustachian section given folks here are spending hundreds on video games and machines
Uncharted 4 is visually impressive. GTA V is just the best game ever made, IMHO.

I wouldn't say best game ever, but really fucking good though. Definitely worth playing.

Which title holds that position for you?

Skyrim.  Most fun I've ever had in a game, and most time I've ever spent playing.  Played it as recently as 3 days ago. A lot more replay value than GTA V imo.  Both great games though.

you need to play Enderal total conversion for Skyrim.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #557 on: November 30, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »
This thread should be in the antimustachian section given folks here are spending hundreds on video games and machines
Uncharted 4 is visually impressive. GTA V is just the best game ever made, IMHO.

I wouldn't say best game ever, but really fucking good though. Definitely worth playing.

Skyrim.  Most fun I've ever had in a game, and most time I've ever spent playing.  Played it as recently as 3 days ago. A lot more replay value than GTA V imo.  Both great games though.

I played it on the ps3 so no mods and no enderal.

zoltani

« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2016, 10:31:43 AM »
I picked up Whitcher Wild Hunt and have been playing it a lot, really fun game.

Looking forward to a couple of games at the beginning of 2107; Yakuza 0 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
Black Friday sales were pretty good in Australia too. Picked up Titanfall 2, Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and Fallout 4 for a total of what I would have paid for just Titanfall 2 a week before.

Currently playing Titanfall 2 single player campaign and I'd have to say it is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, whether I'm in BT or not. The time shift part of the game was just awesome.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »

Does the Enderal mod work with the remastered Skyrim? Both are on my list to try out eventually, but I can't decide which I would rather do first.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: December 01, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
We just started playing Champions of Norrath (for PS2 - which I picked up free in a dump run) leading to the (I believe) unprecedented occurrence of my wife spontaneously making the suggestion that we play a video game.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #562 on: December 01, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
Got a PS4 Slim when it was on sale recently and have been playing Uncharted 4 and Disgaea 5. Uncharted 4 is probably not a game I would have purchased if it didn't come bundled with the PS4 but I've really been enjoying it. Disgaea 5 is an incremental improvement on Disgaea 4 and Disgaea D2 which was all I wanted/expected.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #563 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
Black Friday sales were pretty good in Australia too. Picked up Titanfall 2, Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and Fallout 4 for a total of what I would have paid for just Titanfall 2 a week before.

Currently playing Titanfall 2 single player campaign and I'd have to say it is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had, whether I'm in BT or not. The time shift part of the game was just awesome.

Pretty fun single player for sure ! Reminds me of the original halo. Very engrossing !

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #564 on: December 01, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
Got a PS4 Slim when it was on sale recently and have been playing Uncharted 4 and Disgaea 5. Uncharted 4 is probably not a game I would have purchased if it didn't come bundled with the PS4 but I've really been enjoying it. Disgaea 5 is an incremental improvement on Disgaea 4 and Disgaea D2 which was all I wanted/expected.

If you're interested in playing the first three, I'd be happy to swap my Uncharted Collection (1-3) for 4 so I can play that one too!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #565 on: December 01, 2016, 02:38:28 PM »

If you're interested in playing the first three, I'd be happy to swap my Uncharted Collection (1-3) for 4 so I can play that one too!

The collection is on our Christmas wish list, so I expect we'll have it by the end of December. :)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: December 02, 2016, 07:24:12 AM »
We just started playing Champions of Norrath (for PS2 - which I picked up free in a dump run) leading to the (I believe) unprecedented occurrence of my wife spontaneously making the suggestion that we play a video game.

I love that game!  It is magical for bringing people that might not otherwise play video games together. I've spent many nights staying up late with college girls working through that game; even after several play-throughs it was still enjoyable.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: December 02, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »

I love that game!  It is magical for bringing people that might not otherwise play video games together. I've spent many nights staying up late with college girls working through that game; even after several play-throughs it was still enjoyable.

This is only the second for me;)
I had actually  forgotten about that!

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #568 on: December 02, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »

Does the Enderal mod work with the remastered Skyrim? Both are on my list to try out eventually, but I can't decide which I would rather do first.
Not sure. Just get the regular Skyrim. ENB mods look better than the remastered. Enderal looks great as well.

Jappe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2016, 05:21:36 AM »
Today on uplay: Get Aassissins Creed 3 for free (haven't been able to check myself yet since I'm not home at the moment).

From the 15th till 18th there is a free game every day as well, so might as well claim them :)

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #570 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:10 AM »
Another Skyrim fan here.  I've played it for thousands of hours since I first bought it.  Certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it.

Splinter Cell Blacklist is another game I've got way too much time on. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #571 on: December 07, 2016, 07:42:18 AM »
If any of you are or were former WoW fans, I have been sucked into Legion hard.  It is by far the best expansion they have released, IMO. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #572 on: December 07, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
If any of you are or were former WoW fans, I have been sucked into Legion hard.  It is by far the best expansion they have released, IMO.

What stage were you at before you got it? My chars are quite out of date.. I can probably do the free trial, but I think I didn't even gain a level in MoP.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #573 on: December 15, 2016, 03:03:04 PM »
I don't know if anyone suggested this yet, but Path or Exile PC action RPG) is free to play and, having played Diablo 3, can say that it is at least as good if not better.

You can buy additional skins and stash tabs for money but I not spending a dime is not going to block you in any way.

Besides it has the most insane skill tree I ever saw in any game, EVER. Crazy!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #574 on: December 15, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »

What stage were you at before you got it? My chars are quite out of date.. I can probably do the free trial, but I think I didn't even gain a level in MoP.

The expansion comes with a character boost for one toon at no extra cost.  You can go from level 1 to current content with a mouseclick.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #575 on: December 15, 2016, 05:00:16 PM »
Right now I play Overwatch when I see friends/co-workers online playing.  Love it for the social aspects, although I'll play solo (not in a friend's party) from time to time too.  I think competitive season 2 starts soon!

My son plays Overwatch semi-pro.  He was top 500 in season 2, and coaches and boosts now for fun and pocket money.  He also has a YouTube channel with some highlights of his.  See my sig if you're interested.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #576 on: December 16, 2016, 06:12:39 AM »
More free games!

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/14/jrpg-classic-lost-odyssey-xbox-one/

One of the better last gen JRPGs for the 360 (might have been only like 10 released on the 360).

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #577 on: December 16, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
More free games!

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/14/jrpg-classic-lost-odyssey-xbox-one/

One of the better last gen JRPGs for the 360 (might have been only like 10 released on the 360).

I'm playing it, actually. Not bad.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #578 on: December 16, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »
Uncharted 4 on my new PS4 - kinda disappointed so far.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #579 on: December 18, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »
Really enjoyed Titanfall 2's SP. I've been playing Dishonored 2 and Rise of the Tomb Raider

Had a bunch of Gamestop reward certs that were expiring picked up some games to pad the backlog
Heavy Rain for PS3, Dying Light, Mass Effect Trilogy...

I guess I'll get to these when I finish Skyrim, Fallout 4's DLC and Divinity Original Sin.

Maybe I'll squeeze in Batman Telltale, Uncharted Collection, Fallout New Vegas' DLC and Assassin's Creed Rogue

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #580 on: December 27, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »
This War of Mine: The Little Ones DLC. I love this game, although it does gets depressing at times. Seriously the military in this fictional country are complete jerks.

I balance all the depression out with South Park:  The Stick of Truth, where I, the great Sir Douchebag, vanquish Nazi zombies and release Dragonfarts upon my foes.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #581 on: December 27, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
Damn that sucks to hear... GF just got me the PS4 Uncharted 4 bundle for xmas (MMM way, she got most of it with store pts).

I also picked up Nathan Drake Collection as well.  Haven't even unboxed either yet... way too busy!

Looking to pickup 5-6 PS4 titles i've been really curious about but never got a chance to try.  Pricing is really good on previous PS4 titles currently, lots of titles are $30 or under (Canadian $).

Uncharted 4 on my new PS4 - kinda disappointed so far.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: December 27, 2016, 01:14:37 PM »
UC4: The last 3rd of the game almost made up for the first 2/3rds. Maybe a good way to round out the series, and roughly enjoyable to play, but wouldn't probably rate a re-play, in my opinion. Just didn't have the impact of the other games in the series.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #583 on: December 27, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »
Would anyone be interested in an MMM game exchange? I rarely replay games because there's so much other stuff to play, so once I've finished something I have no use for it anymore.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #584 on: December 27, 2016, 01:21:57 PM »
UC4: The last 3rd of the game almost made up for the first 2/3rds. Maybe a good way to round out the series, and roughly enjoyable to play, but wouldn't probably rate a re-play, in my opinion. Just didn't have the impact of the other games in the series.

Have you tried the multiplayer? I've gotten some decent play time out of it so far. They also came out with a new survival game mode recently.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #585 on: December 27, 2016, 01:41:54 PM »

Have you tried the multiplayer? I've gotten some decent play time out of it so far. They also came out with a new survival game mode recently.

I'm not sure I play enough to rate a subscription to PS+ - maybe in the future if I have more free time.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #586 on: December 27, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
PC gamer here. I jumped from consoles and pieced together my own PC, which was really entertaining in itself. Dark Souls is my all-time favorite game. I am mildly obsessed with it. I just finished Dark Souls 3 and loved it completely as well. The most hours I ever put in a game is Borderlands 2. I found the hunt for better and better loot to be SO addictive. I made it all the way to OP8 with the help of some friendly, online strangers.

Dear Dragon Age fans: what am I missing!? I put 8 hours in DA Origins. I thought the game play was pretty fun, but REALLY complicated and difficult. Then, when I realized I had to talk to all my characters to learn their stories and keep up their morale, I was like this is just a damn soap opera. People seem to love it. Dunno?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:05:17 PM by eljefe-speaks »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #587 on: December 27, 2016, 03:59:52 PM »
Would anyone be interested in an MMM game exchange? I rarely replay games because there's so much other stuff to play, so once I've finished something I have no use for it anymore.

I would be interested. I only have an older PS3 though and don't buy too many games either.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #588 on: December 28, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
Am going to pickup either Pokémon Sun or Moon tomorrow during lunch.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #589 on: December 28, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
OK, I read the entire thread, but saw no mention of some of my recent favorites:

Grim Dawn - I am playing this one now. It's an ARPG like Dragon Age, but somehow more approachable for me. I will have another go at DA:O after I beat it.

Mad Max - This game has the Batman fighting style. It can get repetitive in parts, but taking out rolling motorcades while driving is really damn fun. It captures the feel of that most recent Mad Max movie well.

Bioshock Infinite - best story and best ending I have ever seen in a game.

Hate to be a hater, but parts of Witcher III just drove me insane. It's a great game, for sure. I particularly enjoyed the fluidity of the fighting. The game just had to let me do more of that, rather than insist I sit through long, boring scenes. I almost never get invested in the story of a game because the writing, acting, plot, everything is typically bad. What is coming to mind here - and I don not believe this is a spoiler - is the sequence in Witcher III where you have to act in a play and remember your lines. What!? I just want to hack up Drowners with my new sword!

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #590 on: December 28, 2016, 09:44:20 PM »
Mad Max - This game has the Batman fighting style. It can get repetitive in parts, but taking out rolling motorcades while driving is really damn fun. It captures the feel of that most recent Mad Max movie well.

Bioshock Infinite - best story and best ending I have ever seen in a game.

Hate to be a hater, but parts of Witcher III just drove me insane. It's a great game, for sure. I particularly enjoyed the fluidity of the fighting. The game just had to let me do more of that, rather than insist I sit through long, boring scenes. I almost never get invested in the story of a game because the writing, acting, plot, everything is typically bad. What is coming to mind here - and I don not believe this is a spoiler - is the sequence in Witcher III where you have to act in a play and remember your lines. What!? I just want to hack up Drowners with my new sword!

All of these games are on my must play list. At the moment, I am playing Battlefield 1 and Witcher 2.

I want to pick up Mad Max on steam...not sure if I should considering I have a very large catalog of games to play....

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: December 31, 2016, 06:39:16 AM »

I would be interested. I only have an older PS3 though and don't buy too many games either.

Aren't there already businesses that do this? I buy all of my games used for super cheap, and trade them back in when I've finished them. There's a slight loss, but no more than if I gave the games away and had to pay to ship them to someone else in an exchange.

minimalistgamer

• Bristles
  • Gamer and minimalist.
    • Minimalist Gamer
« Reply #592 on: January 08, 2017, 10:46:50 PM »
Played a lot of Witcher 2 over the weekend. Great game. Really enjoying it. I want to buy Witcher 3 at some point, but I am going to wait for it to go on sale on GoG. I have a long list of games I want to finish before I buy more games.

I have the eternal PC problem - more games than time!

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #593 on: January 09, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
I got Cities: Skylines during the winter Steam sale, that's been a lot of fun. I'm really awful at road design though, and end up plowing through neighborhoods to add more roads to alleviate traffic. AKA all of my roads are spaghetti.

Been playing a lot of Civ 5 lately as well, really want to get Civ 6 but the discount never dipped below 10% during the sale, and I'm cheap enough to want to wait until they have a nicely discounted package with all the DLC and such. Which I'm OK with, as Civ 5 still has a lot of life in it!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
I got Cities: Skylines during the winter Steam sale, that's been a lot of fun. I'm really awful at road design though, and end up plowing through neighborhoods to add more roads to alleviate traffic. AKA all of my roads are spaghetti.

Been playing a lot of Civ 5 lately as well, really want to get Civ 6 but the discount never dipped below 10% during the sale, and I'm cheap enough to want to wait until they have a nicely discounted package with all the DLC and such. Which I'm OK with, as Civ 5 still has a lot of life in it!

So you basically designed New Jersey? :P

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #595 on: January 09, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
I heard good things about Endless Legend, the base games onsale constantly at $6 or so... so definitely work a try.  Sorta like Civ what I've been told but more RPG'ish.

I have a pretty short attention span when it comes to learning curve so I tend to get into games that I and dig right into and play.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
I am playing/replaying some old PS2 games on PC. They feel completely different and look completely different when played on a modern PC. Most of the graphics scale very well to 1440p and I would imagine 4K as well. The rendering and shader effects using modern GPUs is truly transformative.

And the best part is .... you can employ various cheats and you are no longer reliant on in-game saves - you can basically save anytime anywhere (e.g., save right before you have to flip a coin or make a irreversible choice).

I have a pretty beefed up PC, so YMMV.

zoltani

« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
Played a lot of Witcher 2 over the weekend. Great game. Really enjoying it. I want to buy Witcher 3 at some point, but I am going to wait for it to go on sale on GoG. I have a long list of games I want to finish before I buy more games.

I have the eternal PC problem - more games than time!

Witcher 3 has the tendency to suck me in for hours. The quest will seem fairly simple, oh I just need to finish these 3 tasks, quickly turns into them adding more and more tasks as the quest goes on. I do wish there was more action in the game, but it is still very engaging. 

I got the complete edition on amazon for around $30, but I see it has since increased in price, not sure why.

There are still a couple of new games that are coming out that caught my eye. Not frugal to buy new games upon release though.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: January 09, 2017, 10:11:23 PM »

So you basically designed New Jersey? :P

Nice.

zoltani

« Reply #599 on: January 10, 2017, 09:52:13 AM »
I was complaining that I wish there was more action in witcher 3. Last night I played a little different and found plenty of action. If you just want action and slashing then go and explore the undiscovered locations marked by an "?" on the map. Not only do you get lots of action, you also find lots of cool stuff in those locations.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!