Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780891 times)

YummyRaisins

• Stubble

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #901 on: July 14, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
Black Desert Online (picked up for $8 on steam sale) is the game I have been waiting for. Needless complicated, endlessly customizable, easy on the eyes, and easy to AFK. My kind of MMO.

Oh, I had forgotten about that game!  I remember hearing there was an expansion coming out soon (or maybe out now?).  It did look beautiful.

What do you mean by "easy to AFK"?  I know what AFK means, I am just curious how it's easy to walk away from a computer in any MMO.

oops, late reply. My bad.

Unlike infinite running in GW2 or WoW, you can conveniently opem up your map, right click a location in the world, and be presented with a highlighted route along safe roads. You can then set character on autorun and go do something like pee, make some tea, look out the window and listen to birdsong, whatever floats your boat.

Additionally, horse breeding is a pretty fun thing for those that have the Pokemon mentality, and you train them by hitching them to wagons and leveling them up. You can use an "autoloop" along this route to run while you are at work or asleep and the horses will gain some levels when you return. Then you breed your high level horses for higher tier breeds. Highest tier sells for $65 million.

Resource collection for crafting can also be AFKed because of the way the system is built. You "hire" workers to farm, mine, or gather for you and use that in your crafting.

Crafting can be AFKed because, as long as you get the ratios right and have empty bag space and are near the proper crafting receptacle, you can click "continuous production" and come back to skill levels and neat shit in your bags!

Basically, less dreariness, more strategy. :)

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #902 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »
Thanks for explaining Meowkins.  I might check it out after I finish my Zelda Triathalon.  I've got plenty of content, and never enough "me time" to get through it :).

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #903 on: July 14, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »
Thanks for explaining Meowkins.  I might check it out after I finish my Zelda Triathalon.  I've got plenty of content, and never enough "me time" to get through it :).

Cool, let me know if you play it! I will send you my username.

spaniard999

• Stubble
    • Longing for Travel
« Reply #904 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:58 AM »
I just play LoL. Just a few games, because more than 3 gets boring.
Anyone wants to play?

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #905 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:05 AM »
My go-to games are Kingdom of Loathing (free to play browser-based RPG) and Minecraft. I bought Minecraft for less than $30 years ago and have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.

I donate $10/mo to KoL to help support the game and get the Item of the Month. Technically, I could farm enough meat to buy the item but they have to pay the bills somehow.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #906 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:41 AM »
I have a good mobile game recommendation - “A planet of mine”.  It is sort of like Civilization made for Mobile gaming.  Excellent gameplay, infinite replay ability.  Super fun.  I downloaded it and was immediately hooked for hours.

It has a decent free to play option and costs $4.99 to unlock the full game.  SO it is not a typical micro transaction model. 

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #907 on: July 18, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
My SO and I just bought Minecraft a couple of weeks ago. And now it's today. It's like time traveling.

Now whenever someone bothers me at work or I'm stuck in traffic, I just think to myself "punchpunchpunch" "chopchopchop"

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #908 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
My SO and I just bought Minecraft a couple of weeks ago. And now it's today. It's like time traveling.

Now whenever someone bothers me at work or I'm stuck in traffic, I just think to myself "punchpunchpunch" "chopchopchop"

If you haven't tried multiplayer yet you should check out the server I play on: unitycraft.de

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #909 on: July 20, 2017, 04:02:42 PM »
Just found someone selling an NES Classic for $60. Did my due diligence and it seems legit. Went through PayPal so I feel like I have a bit more protection. Can't wait to start playing these games again!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: July 21, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
Just found someone selling an NES Classic for $60. Did my due diligence and it seems legit. Went through PayPal so I feel like I have a bit more protection. Can't wait to start playing these games again!

You can also use an emulator and play NES games on your computer for free if you like.  I have knock off ps2 usb controller that I use to play NES on my laptop.

I found an old gift card to a video game store that someone gave me for Christmas a few years ago, so I decided to use it to pick up a copy of Skyrim. Holy cow. This game is amazing. It's like World of Warcraft, except you don't have other players trying to murder you all the time. In fact, since it's a single player game, it's a great way to isolate and de-stress after spending my entire day being civil to people. It was really cheap too, since it's been out for six years so far. I got the PS3 version since that's the game system I own. (My in-laws gave us one as a gift a few years ago.)

I used to be an adventurer like you...

Oh how I envy you, getting to experience the wonder of skyrim for the first time.  Hands down my favorite game ever.  I played it on the PS3, for like 600+ hours probably.  I do wish they'd come out with elder scrolls 6 instead of re-releasing skyrim over and over.  You've still got hundreds of hours of entertainment ahead of you though.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #911 on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »

You can also use an emulator and play NES games on your computer for free if you like.  I have knock off ps2 usb controller that I use to play NES on my laptop.

I found an old gift card to a video game store that someone gave me for Christmas a few years ago, so I decided to use it to pick up a copy of Skyrim. Holy cow. This game is amazing. It's like World of Warcraft, except you don't have other players trying to murder you all the time. In fact, since it's a single player game, it's a great way to isolate and de-stress after spending my entire day being civil to people. It was really cheap too, since it's been out for six years so far. I got the PS3 version since that's the game system I own. (My in-laws gave us one as a gift a few years ago.)

I used to be an adventurer like you...

Oh how I envy you, getting to experience the wonder of skyrim for the first time.  Hands down my favorite game ever.  I played it on the PS3, for like 600+ hours probably.  I do wish they'd come out with elder scrolls 6 instead of re-releasing skyrim over and over.  You've still got hundreds of hours of entertainment ahead of you though.

How was the arrow to your knee?

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #912 on: July 26, 2017, 11:59:18 AM »
I dusted off my PS2 recently to play Harvest Moon:Back to Nature. Love that game.  I'm determined to play it through to the end one of these days.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #913 on: July 27, 2017, 11:25:58 AM »
I dusted off my PS2 recently to play Harvest Moon:Back to Nature. Love that game.  I'm determined to play it through to the end one of these days.

Have you tried/looked into Stardew Valley? It's available on PC / Steam. It's suppose to be pretty good.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #914 on: August 05, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »
Dying Light on Ps4 and GTA Online on PS4.

I played a little bit of the Wii U recently

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »
We moved recently, and in the process I found my Game Boy Pocket. Been playing Gen 1 Pokemon Red/Blue version a bunch, lol.

Seriously, these games were really well done back in the early/mid 90's.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2017, 07:21:07 PM »
I've been playing Yooka-Laylee, Forza 6, Witcher 3, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and Unravel.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2017, 09:48:32 PM »
We moved recently, and in the process I found my Game Boy Pocket. Been playing Gen 1 Pokemon Red/Blue version a bunch, lol.

Seriously, these games were really well done back in the early/mid 90's.

I still bust out my gameboy advance sp every now and then. In many ways they were the pinnacle of portable gaming as far as I'm concerned. Sooo many awesome games, very compact, good battery life, good form factor. A true classic.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: August 05, 2017, 09:49:41 PM »
I have recently been reading a hilarious book about D&D and kind of want to try that since I missed out on it during the 70s and 80s.

I am not even sure how you get started in D&D.   I assume the first step is to find some taped together glasses or something?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #919 on: August 06, 2017, 12:11:32 AM »
I have recently been reading a hilarious book about D&D and kind of want to try that since I missed out on it during the 70s and 80s.

I am not even sure how you get started in D&D.   I assume the first step is to find some taped together glasses or something?

It's really not that difficult. Just accept that pretending to be a warrior/rogue/mage/priest adventuring to slay fantastical beasts is actually super fun if you get over yourself, and you'll be set! ;)

Seriously though, pen and paper RPGs can be loads of fun, you just need a group of people who don't get all self-conscious about it, and who know how to have a good time. A dedicated DM is definitely the most important part of that equation, though.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: August 06, 2017, 06:35:18 PM »

It's really not that difficult. Just accept that pretending to be a warrior/rogue/mage/priest adventuring to slay fantastical beasts is actually super fun if you get over yourself, and you'll be set! ;)

Seriously though, pen and paper RPGs can be loads of fun, you just need a group of people who don't get all self-conscious about it, and who know how to have a good time. A dedicated DM is definitely the most important part of that equation, though.

I wonder if it might call to me the same way pinball does.   There is something magical about the real physics in an actual pinball game in this day and age of online everything and 3D computer games.  Pen, paper and imagination might be fun where digital gets stale.  Sort of how I still enjoy reading books as a break from watching tv and movies.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: August 06, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
Have you tried The Pinball Arcade? They model actual pinball table physics and replicate the tables in digital form.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #922 on: August 06, 2017, 10:15:27 PM »
Lately I've been chipping away at Diablo III on PS4. It's entertaining, but would be more fun with friends.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #923 on: August 07, 2017, 07:36:56 AM »
Tried D&D for the first time this weekend actually! Used a website for the board and rolling and a google sheet to track all the skills and spells and stuff (holy shit was it a lot of information...) - it was fun! BF was planning on playing with his friends Saturday night so I was content to curl up on the couch with my kindle til they were done, but someone dropped out last minute, and that's how I became a dwarf cleric :)

Also the NES Classic I bought is absolutely a knock off, but it works and has 500 games so I'm not complaining. I forgot how terrible I am at arknoids.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #924 on: August 11, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »
I recently got the PS4 version of stardew valley on sale and have already probably put almost 30 hours into it. A lot of fun for the $20 it cost and I'm sure I'll get quite a bit more time out of it.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: August 11, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
Overwatch is my go to these days, I like how easy it is to just log on, play for 30 minutes, then be done. I got it for Xbox to play with some buddies, and one of them had it for PC and offered to buy it for me if I played with him. Now I have it on both.

For those of you who used to be really into FPS games online, but now don't really have a ton of time, it's a great option. There are some characters where mechanical shooting ability is really important (aka, take a lot of time to become decent with), but a lot of the characters require nearly no aiming, and your skill depends purely on strategy and decision making.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #926 on: August 11, 2017, 07:44:58 AM »
Overwatch is my go to these days, I like how easy it is to just log on, play for 30 minutes, then be done. I got it for Xbox to play with some buddies, and one of them had it for PC and offered to buy it for me if I played with him. Now I have it on both.

For those of you who used to be really into FPS games online, but now don't really have a ton of time, it's a great option. There are some characters where mechanical shooting ability is really important (aka, take a lot of time to become decent with), but a lot of the characters require nearly no aiming, and your skill depends purely on strategy and decision making.

This. I've been playing Overwatch for over a year now. It's very easy to pick up and play, but there's always the option to become more serious about it and invest more time. Great game.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #927 on: August 11, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »

This. I've been playing Overwatch for over a year now. It's very easy to pick up and play, but there's always the option to become more serious about it and invest more time. Great game.

Ditto, and if you get a bit bored it's a great game to take a break from and come back to all sorts of new things.

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #928 on: August 11, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »

Have you tried/looked into Stardew Valley? It's available on PC / Steam. It's suppose to be pretty good.
It looks interesting.  Unfortunately I don't have much time to play on the computer anymore. 

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #929 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
My wife and I have just started (a few days ago) writing our own MMO game.   She is doing the software and I am working on game design and art.   She has 25 years as a software engineer and worked on a couple of big MMORPG games while my electrical engineering background is about useless for this.   I do know RhinoCad quite well though so it helps with some of the art and renderings.

Something to do when it is 98 degrees outside anyway.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #930 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:08 PM »
My wife and I have just started (a few days ago) writing our own MMO game.   She is doing the software and I am working on game design and art.   She has 25 years as a software engineer and worked on a couple of big MMORPG games while my electrical engineering background is about useless for this.   I do know RhinoCad quite well though so it helps with some of the art and renderings.

Something to do when it is 98 degrees outside anyway.

That's so cool! Any plans to blog or journal about it?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #931 on: August 12, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »

I might post a separate thread about it but I don't really do a lot of blogging.   When we get to the point of having a online server and need some testing I will post about it in case anyone is interested in trying it out.   We want to make it free to play and are going to try and bring some of the things we have always wanted in games but have always been lacking.  We have been playing MMO type games all the way back to a game called The Shadow of Yserbius back in 1992 (on a 9600 baud dialup modem!)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #932 on: August 12, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »

I might post a separate thread about it but I don't really do a lot of blogging.   When we get to the point of having a online server and need some testing I will post about it in case anyone is interested in trying it out.   We want to make it free to play and are going to try and bring some of the things we have always wanted in games but have always been lacking.  We have been playing MMO type games all the way back to a game called The Shadow of Yserbius back in 1992 (on a 9600 baud dialup modem!)

This is pretty cool, what kind of theme are you going for?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: August 12, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »
This is pretty cool, what kind of theme are you going for?

Deep space probe to distant solar system (1,000 light years away) where first contact was detected via radio telescope on earth in the late 21st century.   Traveling at a small fraction of the speed of light, the probe will take 50,000 years to reach the system.   Player human conscious loaded into neural net on probe (offline for the duration of travel to retain sanity).  Nanobots constantly repairing damaged systems during travel.   Upon landing, player avatar (the probe rover) discovers the alien civilization has vanished in some sort of immense cataclysm.  Primary goal shifts from the original mission directive of first contact to discovering what happened and relaying any new technology back to earth.  And survival of course :-).   A large number of other probes (players) were launched and have arrived with similar goals.

We are obviously working out the details here as we just started but there will be a crafting system that is essential to game progress and can't be cheated.  In other words, it will do you no good to go to Google and try to look up how to create XYZ.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #934 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Very cool. Unique concept, I like it! Looking forward to hearing more as it develops!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #935 on: August 13, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
When you get to the point where you need beta testers, remember to hit us up :)

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #936 on: August 13, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »
We are obviously working out the details here as we just started but there will be a crafting system that is essential to game progress and can't be cheated.  In other words, it will do you no good to go to Google and try to look up how to create XYZ.

Not that I don't wish you luck, but, um, good luck you're going to need it? I can't imagine how you're going to manage that without such complexity nobody gets it. If its simple + randomization (Asheron's Call's spell research) then people are going to build solvers that can with a few pieces of data tell you the exact component layout. If it is complex, how do you expect players to figure it out in the first place?

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #937 on: August 13, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Quote from: AccidentialMustache link=topic=48147.msg1658965#msg1658965

Not that I don't wish you luck, but, um, good luck you're going to need it? I can't imagine how you're going to manage that without such complexity nobody gets it. If its simple + randomization (Asheron's Call's spell research) then people are going to build solvers that can with a few pieces of data tell you the exact component layout. If it is complex, how do you expect players to figure it out in the first place?

Interesting you bring up Asheron's Call spell research because that is something I really liked and one of the reasons we are going this route with crafting.   We were playing day one and I remember buying tapers and trying out spells, suddenly getting a whirling blade (or whatever it was called) and being so proud of my research.   The taper system was cheatable as you point out.

We have a system that is not too complex but impossible to cheat.  It will bring back the fun and reward of research and discovery but not be tedious since the research is essentially how you level up and gain power.  I don't want to reveal too much at this stage but I am kind of excited on how different this game might be from the thousands that are out there to choose from.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #938 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
I look forward to something interesting then.

FWIW, if you hadn't noticed, though AC died at Turbine's hands, a lot of the decal folks are busy resurrecting re-implemented servers. They've done pretty well considering they've only had a few months.

Mustachian-friendly too -- game's so old even a junky machine with onboard graphics can probably run the client, and since it's emu servers, its free (otherwise they'd attract lawyers attention).

Also: Sith Sith Sith Sith Sith Sith Paj! *fizzle*

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: August 13, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »
That is one curiosity I have had (my wife being a software engineer could probably answer this).

How do these private servers for things like WoW, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.  get the server side source code in order to run?

Maybe for an old game it is easy, but there are WoW private servers and vanilla WoW servers.  I can't think Blizzard just gave out the server source code.

Was it leaked at some point?

For our game, there will be the client, but also the server code.  The client will be fairly useless without the server.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #940 on: August 13, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
That is one curiosity I have had (my wife being a software engineer could probably answer this).

How do these private servers for things like WoW, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, etc.  get the server side source code in order to run?

Maybe for an old game it is easy, but there are WoW private servers and vanilla WoW servers.  I can't think Blizzard just gave out the server source code.

Was it leaked at some point?

For our game, there will be the client, but also the server code.  The client will be fairly useless without the server.

At a guess - you can on the client side see what info is coming to you. You can therefore reverse engineer what the server needs to send.

You might not be generating the info in the same way, but as long as you're saying "at x120,y200: there is a Tauren with clothing id 6005, holding item 435"... etc.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #941 on: August 15, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
At a guess - you can on the client side see what info is coming to you. You can therefore reverse engineer what the server needs to send.

Some (like wow) were probably leaked server binaries (or source). Some (like Asheron's Call) are reverse-engineering the protocol (lots of packet captures went on in the last 2 months) and re-building the server from scratch.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #942 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:43 AM »
I picked up Startup Company on Steam for $10 after watching a gamer on YouTube I like play a prereleased version. In hindsight, not sure if it's worth $10, but I've already but in 8 hours with plans to play more, so I'm not crying over the cost. Failed my first play through, but my second one seems "too big to fail" (my company is not going to die any time soon), which is helpful as I'm trying to figure out the other smaller goals of the game. In true mustachian form I paid off all my loans before advancing so I could purchase a bigger space/more employees/stuff debt free and in cash, which removes a bit of the challenge from the game. It's pretty fun, I'd recommend it.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #943 on: August 16, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
I saw that the next Monster Hunter game has been announced for early 2018, coming to PC, XB1, and PS4.

Monster Hunter is easily in my top 5 favorite game series. If you haven't heard of it, I'd recommend picking up an old copy for a couple bucks.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #944 on: November 05, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
Dropped in to say hi!  Been playing Dishonored 2, got a b2g1 coupon at Gamestop with some credit might pick up some new stuff. I won a Switch a few months ago

Newer games with a lot of life, Zelda Botw, Player Unknown Battlegrounds, and GTA V. Still putting lots of time into those.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: November 05, 2017, 05:59:50 PM »
I think I might pick up Final Fantasy XV now that it is down a fair bit on price; it should hold me over until the first installment of the Final Fantasy VII remake is release at the end of the year. If I have the free time, I may go spendypants and buy it new early on, the nostalgia might be too strong; that being said I have lots of projects that will keep me busy for long enough for a price drop or two.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #946 on: November 05, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
Blizzard has announced that not only will the Starcraft II arcade be free to play, the first single-player campaign will become free to play this month.  The game isn't super recent, but it's a lot of fun and has a great story line.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #947 on: November 05, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »
Blizzard has announced that not only will the Starcraft II arcade be free to play, the first single-player campaign will become free to play this month.  The game isn't super recent, but it's a lot of fun and has a great story line.

They are also apparently finally releasing a vanilla WoW server. RIP productivity...

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #948 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
They are also apparently finally releasing a vanilla WoW server. RIP productivity...

Oh crap.  You did not just tell me this.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #949 on: November 06, 2017, 07:03:24 AM »
I think I might pick up Final Fantasy XV now that it is down a fair bit on price; it should hold me over until the first installment of the Final Fantasy VII remake is release at the end of the year. If I have the free time, I may go spendypants and buy it new early on, the nostalgia might be too strong; that being said I have lots of projects that will keep me busy for long enough for a price drop or two.

I had low expectations going into FFXV and was sorely disappointed...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!