Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780909 times)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #750 on: March 02, 2017, 08:41:51 AM »
Have to check out the sequel; can load your characters into and start a while new adventure. But yeah, the hokey dialouge and cliche story can get old.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #751 on: March 02, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »

Picked up Horizon Zero Dawn for my 'regular' PS4 ( i.e. - not a pro ).

I'm amazed at what they are able to squeeze out of the PS4!  The game really is a technical marvel. 

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #752 on: March 02, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »

I'm amazed at what they are able to squeeze out of the PS4!  The game really is a technical marvel.

I've got it on price-watch, but there are very few games I'm willing to drop full price on. It is one I'm interested in trying out once the prices do drop though.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #753 on: March 02, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »

I'm considering getting this but I'm also considering the new Zelda game, which has been well reviewed by all the critics across the board. Life long Zelda fan here.

zoltani

« Reply #754 on: March 02, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »

I'm really interested in this game, but haven't decided if I want to drop the coin, it's $48 on amazon with prime.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #755 on: March 02, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »

I'm really interested in this game, but haven't decided if I want to drop the coin, it's $48 on amazon with prime.

I have heard very good things, but I am currently immersed in my $4 Shadows of Mordor experience...

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #756 on: March 02, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
I'm now playing Torment: Tides of Numenera. It's the sequel to Torment, probably the best RPG game of all time*.

* http://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpgs-of-all-time/4/

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #757 on: March 02, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »
Also found a copy of Witcher (1) on ebay for 10 bucks, just started it yesterday.

Witcher 1 is always $9.99 on GOG. If you bought a disc copy make sure it's the enhanced edition.

I'm now playing Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Same. Was waiting for this to be mentioned. 4-year old Kickstarter is finally paying off!

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #758 on: March 02, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »
Also found a copy of Witcher (1) on ebay for 10 bucks, just started it yesterday.

Witcher 1 is always $9.99 on GOG. If you bought a disc copy make sure it's the enhanced edition.

I'm now playing Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Same. Was waiting for this to be mentioned. 4-year old Kickstarter is finally paying off!

I have backed 2 games on kickstarter, the first was Mighty No. 9. This seriously disappointed me and until the second game I backed comes out and doesn't disappoint I haven't been willing to drop more on kickstarter. The second one is Battle Chasers, so far at least what they have shown so far looks much more promising, but only time will tell.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #759 on: March 02, 2017, 05:13:32 PM »
Welp, I'm weak. I haven't owed a console since the 360 but the Switch hype has gotten to me. I'll be picking one up as soon as they're back in stock. This lapsed Nintendo fanboy is going home.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #760 on: March 02, 2017, 10:48:01 PM »
Welp, I'm weak. I haven't owed a console since the 360 but the Switch hype has gotten to me. I'll be picking one up as soon as they're back in stock. This lapsed Nintendo fanboy is going home.
lol, my newest console is the PS2, and I got that for free.  Last one I paid for was the N64 (which I got from gamestop after the cube was already out), still have it, and play often.
and the hype over Breath of the Wild got to me, and I plan to get a switch eventually (probably a month or two)
don't feel bad :P

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #761 on: March 03, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »

My husband is furious he somehow missed the preorder window.
We are getting Zelda tomorrow (Amazon has a great preorder discount, so we ordered the games in his favorite franchises through the end of the year)- I mean we will get the Switch eventually...

I was just hoping he'd be able to have it during the times the baby is still very new, before it needs a lot of attention from him (because rather it needs it from me...)  But it might be summer before we find one.

The Target about 100 miles from my home has them, but not the one 2 miles away- they didn't get any. 

I figure since it isn't Christmas time they shouldn't be out of stock forever... it's not a time a lot of families are spending money on new consoles.

We recently sold all our consoles and games older than the Wii (we never upgraded to Wii U) and it was like a history of Nintendo with a bit of Sega, Playstation, Xbox thrown in... So many consoles and games.  Would have made a lot more money if we took the time to do it on ebay, but we got like $500 from Half Price books.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: March 03, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »
I bought Legion (WoW) and truly, I shouldn't have done that.
I really like the expansion so far and have to restraint myself of not playing too much. Just finished questing in the Aszuna area and I loved it!

Legion is amazing.  If you put in some time making gold, you can play for free (minus the cost of the original game).  For the amount of time I play, the $12/month is a bargain.  It saves me from spending money on other things. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: March 03, 2017, 07:29:47 AM »
I really like the expansion so far and have to restraint myself of not playing too much. Just finished questing in the Aszuna area and I loved it!

Legion is amazing.  If you put in some time making gold, you can play for free (minus the cost of the original game).  For the amount of time I play, the $12/month is a bargain.  It saves me from spending money on other things.

I'm really considering picking it up.  I haven't played since WotLK though.  I'm just afraid that I can't compete when I only play ~2hrs a night, 3-4 nights a week.  How much time do you invest to "keep up"?  I've heard that playing primarily PvP isn't as much as a time sink.

Some friends and I tried out the Kronos vanilla server, which was OK for a few days, but it started to feel unethical to play it once I read about the details of how it was made, and that it's not approved by Blizzard.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #764 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »

My husband is furious he somehow missed the preorder window.
We are getting Zelda tomorrow (Amazon has a great preorder discount, so we ordered the games in his favorite franchises through the end of the year)- I mean we will get the Switch eventually...

I was just hoping he'd be able to have it during the times the baby is still very new, before it needs a lot of attention from him (because rather it needs it from me...)  But it might be summer before we find one.

The Target about 100 miles from my home has them, but not the one 2 miles away- they didn't get any. 

I figure since it isn't Christmas time they shouldn't be out of stock forever... it's not a time a lot of families are spending money on new consoles.

We recently sold all our consoles and games older than the Wii (we never upgraded to Wii U) and it was like a history of Nintendo with a bit of Sega, Playstation, Xbox thrown in... So many consoles and games.  Would have made a lot more money if we took the time to do it on ebay, but we got like $500 from Half Price books.

I wish I had taken advantage of that pre-order sale on Amazon. Is the 20% off a limited time thing? If so, I might pre-order Mario now. No reason not to since they don't charge you until the game ships, right?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: March 03, 2017, 08:01:48 AM »

I wish I had taken advantage of that pre-order sale on Amazon. Is the 20% off a limited time thing? If so, I might pre-order Mario now. No reason not to since they don't charge you until the game ships, right?

I had never seen the prime member preorder thing before, so I don't know how long it stays around.  But they don't charge you until it ships, so you might as well.

Also, our Target started showing stock, so I ran over there and now own a Switch.  :)
They had 7 left at 8:30, and started with 35 at 8:00.  The guy who works there said he isn't allowed to buy one until 9:30, and was really hoping one was left.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #766 on: March 03, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
They have been offering pre-order discounts for quite a while. At least 6 months or more off the top of my head.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #767 on: March 03, 2017, 08:18:08 AM »

I have heard very good things, but I am currently immersed in my $4 Shadows of Mordor experience...

I did the Amazon prime thing...not much of a discount but every bit helps.

I usually do not buy games at release but splurged a bit because I usually play on my PC and get games super cheap. 

Zero Dawn will never be on PC so I said what the heck...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #768 on: March 03, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »
They have been offering pre-order discounts for quite a while. At least 6 months or more off the top of my head.

Makes me mad we missed the window for preorder on the Switch. 20% is a pretty significant discount!

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #769 on: March 03, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

Makes me mad we missed the window for preorder on the Switch. 20% is a pretty significant discount!

Not sure if the discount has applied to systems too or only games.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #770 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »

It will make me happier if it is games only :)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #771 on: March 03, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »

It's games only:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/12/amazon-prime-video-game-discounts/

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
Too bad Nintendo can't get their act together with product launches.  I see the switch is sold out everywhere.  I had to wait 2 months to find a NES classic at retail prices.  Meanwhile I think Ebay is profiting more off these products than Nintendo!

I was pretty impressed I managed to get it at a store today and with no line. I thought I was screwed with no pre-order.

I've seen a number of places report more are expected in stock at stores an online as soon as 3/10. (Amazon UK is actually still taking orders, so they clearly think they are getting more soon. Amazon US isn't- though right now there is one from a reseller at actual price.  A number of Targets are still reporting that they are in stock though. If you live near one, you can check online.)

I should have bought two... there was no limit; clearly I am not good at gouging.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:05:35 AM by iowajes »

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #773 on: March 03, 2017, 01:18:59 PM »
Zelda is back on Amazon for 20% off. Ordered it, Amazon says it should be delivered Sunday. Now to find a Switch

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »
Zelda is back on Amazon for 20% off. Ordered it, Amazon says it should be delivered Sunday. Now to find a Switch

The problem I have with the Switch is it's $500 to get all the recommended hardware plus 1 game. Also, it has almost no library currently.
I'm thinking of just getting Zelda for WiiU.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #775 on: March 04, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »
The Zelda game is really good. I don't think there is anything about the switch that makes the play different than the Wii u, if you already own that.
Since Mario Kart sounds like it will just be Wii U tracks, they aren't doing a lot to really differentiate the switch.

It's not $500 to play. We just have console plus game. That's $350.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:00:56 PM by iowajes »

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
I considered buying a Wii U, but it's not much cheaper than the Switch and most the games I'd buy for it are actually N64 or Wii ports, which I'm sure will show up on Switch someday. The portability of the Switch is also a big selling factor.

I have Zelda and the Pro Controller on their way from Amazon. Target's website says they have Switches available in my city, so hopefully I can pick one up tomorrow night when spouse and I get home from vacation. I haven't been this pumped for video games since Wind Waker.

Edit. Forgot to mention, I'm also pumped for the indie games announced for Switch. Looks like Nintendo is taking that segment seriously. When I had a 360, I found myself bored with so-called AAA games like Gears, Halo, COD but spent a ton of time on stuff like 'Splosion Man, Super Meat Boy, Braid, Shadow Complex, Limbo, etc. Snipperclips, Shovel Knight, and the BanjoKazooie rip-off are on my radar for Switch.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:00:35 PM by garth »

BattlaP

• Stubble
« Reply #777 on: March 05, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
I'm now playing Torment: Tides of Numenera. It's the sequel to Torment, probably the best RPG game of all time*.

* http://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpgs-of-all-time/4/

Just finished this. Really faithful *spiritual* sequel IMO and really intriguing setting. (It's not an actual sequel)
Party members could easily have been heaps better, compared to PS:T's they were fairly generic humans. Especially with the crazy universe, I could easily think up a couple interesting ones without even trying (and none of them would even need to be floating skulls!).

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #778 on: March 05, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »
I'm playing Suikoden on PS1 at the moment.  Took me 6 months to beat FF6 but it was a cool game.  Digging Suikoden.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #779 on: March 05, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
I'm playing Suikoden on PS1 at the moment.  Took me 6 months to beat FF6 but it was a cool game.  Digging Suikoden.
Loved both of these. I'm guessing I've played through ff6 at least 30 times. It's the GOAT.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #780 on: March 06, 2017, 08:26:22 AM »
The Zelda game is really good. I don't think there is anything about the switch that makes the play different than the Wii u, if you already own that.
Since Mario Kart sounds like it will just be Wii U tracks, they aren't doing a lot to really differentiate the switch.

We have a Wii U so getting Zelda there was a no brainer for us.  Seems to be running great so far.  Plus, I'm thinking that the Wii U version will hold it's value well.

However, it does look like both versions suffer choppiness in some areas. 

Some interesting analysis here :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-vs-wii-u-face-off

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:28:00 AM by farmecologist »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #781 on: March 06, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »

However, it does look like both versions suffer choppiness in some areas. 

Some interesting analysis here :
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-switch-vs-wii-u-face-off

I think I'm not a serious enough gamer to notice these kinds of things :) 
We haven't played undocked yet.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #782 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »
bought Need for speed for ps4. Great game for 20 bucks ! Definitely an arcade type game, fun game if you take it face value.

if you like cars in any way shape or form you should buy it !

Geared towards the teenager however. I must be getting old but I find it beyond frustrating that having to answer your phone while driving and posting photos to your fake instagram account in game is super annoying (old man yells at cloud) lol

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:16 AM »

I have a few friends that are going to try out the free vanilla WoW server.  I hear it's pretty populated and free.  I might check it out.

www.kronos-wow.com

I hate you. There went my weekend. =P

Fortunately, despite finding I still enjoy the game to some extent, I still have zero interest in the raid grinding kind of stuff. Call me a masochist, but I always kinda liked solo grinding reputation, questing, crafting, etc. Scratches the same itch of idle entertainment as angry birds or other such games. Might goof around with pvp a bit too if my interest holds long enough. Arathi Basin is still among my favorite pvp experiences in all of gaming.

Also, I discovered this server is much more populated, if that kind of thing matters to you:

https://elysium-project.org/

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #784 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »

I have a few friends that are going to try out the free vanilla WoW server.  I hear it's pretty populated and free.  I might check it out.

www.kronos-wow.com

I hate you. There went my weekend. =P

Fortunately, despite finding I still enjoy the game to some extent, I still have zero interest in the raid grinding kind of stuff. Call me a masochist, but I always kinda liked solo grinding reputation, questing, crafting, etc. Scratches the same itch of idle entertainment as angry birds or other such games. Might goof around with pvp a bit too if my interest holds long enough. Arathi Basin is still among my favorite pvp experiences in all of gaming.

Also, I discovered this server is much more populated, if that kind of thing matters to you:

https://elysium-project.org/

I actually started to feel the guilt of playing an un-approved Blizzard server, regardless of having paid for the original game years ago.

My friends and I decided to resub to WoW, but I haven't purchased Legion yet.  I paid the $15 for the month, and it automatically updated my account to the latest expansion previous (Warlords of Draenor).

So, I'll play the real game for a while on my $15, and if manage to maintain interest past 30 days, it'll be worth another $15.  Will I pick up Legion for $40-50?  Probably not, but who knows.  I guess it really depends on how into it my friends get.  I mainly play for the social aspect of running dungeons/quests and chatting with friends that live 1-2hrs drive from me.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: March 06, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Legion is great in that it matches your gameplay no matter what you like to do. 

Like questing?  Instead of repetitive daily quests, you get world quests throughout the new zones. 

Like raiding but don't want to grind or learn strategies.  Do LFR.

Like dungeons?  They have a new progressive dungeon system based on doing increasingly harder dungeons under a time limit. 

Like Fishing?  FISHING ARTIFACT POLE!

I just read about Torment.  That interests me - I loved Planescape Torment back in the day. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: March 06, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »

If any of you are playing, or want to start playing, I'm on Tichondrius (or something similar).  It's pretty good population.  I'm only level 21, so you can probably catch me pretty quick if you want to play together!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #787 on: March 06, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »

If any of you are playing, or want to start playing, I'm on Tichondrius (or something similar).  It's pretty good population.  I'm only level 21, so you can probably catch me pretty quick if you want to play together!

We'll see how my interest holds. I may resub and if so happy to game with fellow forum members. That said, the vanilla experience is really what specifically appealed to me. If I could get that through a paid sub, I would do it, but there's no official option that gives exactly that feel (especially given an entire playerbase that also wants that feel and not just to race past those zones to the end game content).

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: March 06, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
We'll see how my interest holds. I may resub and if so happy to game with fellow forum members. That said, the vanilla experience is really what specifically appealed to me. If I could get that through a paid sub, I would do it, but there's no official option that gives exactly that feel (especially given an entire playerbase that also wants that feel and not just to race past those zones to the end game content).

I can definitely understand that.  I'm enjoying taking my time, and doing new quests that have been added since my last play through.

Send me a PM if you ever decide to jump back in to the full client!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: March 06, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
I have a 110 guardian druid in legion (Silverhand) at ilvl 882 or something.  I haven't logged on in a couple of weeks but played the game heavily from around October to January.

Vanilla sounds interesting.   I played WoW in 2004 even in beta and really remember the vanilla experience fondly.  I wonder if it would be fun to go back and try it. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #790 on: March 06, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
Benefit of the switch: tornado warning? Just undock and head to the basement. No game interruption needed.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #791 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »
Just got off the Plateau in BotW. This game is huge. And beautiful. Headed south instead of toward the village the old man pointed out. Stumbled on a clearing of wild horses, goats, and birds. Managed to tame a horse before getting my ass handed to me by mounted bad guys.

I definitely prefer the pro controller, but it plays great as a portable. Fun to be gaming again.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: March 06, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »

It's also heavily recommended to get the pro controller which is $70. Ouch. $300 + $70 + $60. You're at $430 plus tax. Call it $450. It's just too much for me, although my opinion might be different if I didn't have a WiiU

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: March 07, 2017, 06:15:45 AM »
I have a 110 guardian druid in legion (Silverhand) at ilvl 882 or something.  I haven't logged on in a couple of weeks but played the game heavily from around October to January.

Vanilla sounds interesting.   I played WoW in 2004 even in beta and really remember the vanilla experience fondly.  I wonder if it would be fun to go back and try it.

If you get the urge, start a toon on Tichondrius and we can do some questing or dungeons.  I'm lvl 21 Goblin Warrior named Gumbythumbs :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #794 on: March 07, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »

It's also heavily recommended to get the pro controller which is $70. Ouch. $300 + $70 + $60. You're at $430 plus tax. Call it $450. It's just too much for me, although my opinion might be different if I didn't have a WiiU

The pro-controller might be nicer, but we've had zero problems playing with the joycon.  DH did say he liked the controls better docked than when he moved to portable. I haven't tried it portable. Hedonistic adaptation? If we just don't get the pro-controller we won't know what we are missing :)  The joy-con certainly hasn't been frustrating or anything.
I also saved some since I walked into Target and picked the console up on release date and decided to get a RedCard (5% off) and getting the game on presale on amazon (20% off).

But yeah, if you have a Wii U- there isn't a ton of reason to go for it.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #795 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »

The pro-controller might be nicer, but we've had zero problems playing with the joycon.  DH did say he liked the controls better docked than when he moved to portable. I haven't tried it portable. Hedonistic adaptation? If we just don't get the pro-controller we won't know what we are missing :)  The joy-con certainly hasn't been frustrating or anything.

I prefer the pro controller but have no issues with the joycons in the grip. I did find that my right thumb cramped up a bit while playing in portable mode last night.

I guess Zelda must suck a lot of power? I was playing it in portable mode with the system "charging" through my Macbook, but the charge ticked down, not up. I guess it only drains more slowly while plugged in?

Snipperclips is fun.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #796 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

I prefer the pro controller but have no issues with the joycons in the grip. I did find that my right thumb cramped up a bit while playing in portable mode last night.

I guess Zelda must suck a lot of power? I was playing it in portable mode with the system "charging" through my Macbook, but the charge ticked down, not up. I guess it only drains more slowly while plugged in?

Snipperclips is fun.

I haven't noticed a power problem, but we play docked most of the time. We were downstairs for 2 hours during a tornado warning and I don't know what the battery did, but it didn't run out at least.

We downloaded snipperclips demo but haven't played yet- I'll have to get DH away from Zelda to be able to try it. It looked silly, but glad to hear it could be fun.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #797 on: March 07, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
Just thought I'd finally update with where I'm at.

I finally beat Mirror's Edge (PS3).  I literally had about 30 minutes left to play and just hadn't gotten back to it in about a year but now that's complete.

I'm working on going through my catalog of games that I never finished and getting them out of the way.  I have the following in my queue:
- Sly Cooper 3
- Ni No Kuni
- God of War
- Limbo

I literally don't need to buy games for a couple more years due to the extensive library that I've accumulated already (both bought and free pick-ups).

I beat both Sly Cooper 3 and Ni No Kuni last week.  I still have a few games left to play on this console as well as too many Steam games to count.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »

I also saved some since I walked into Target and picked the console up on release date and decided to get a RedCard (5% off) and getting the game on presale on amazon (20% off).

But yeah, if you have a Wii U- there isn't a ton of reason to go for it.

Ok, good to know. Thanks! I'll stick to Zelda on the WiiU.
When the next Monster Hunter game comes out for Switch, then I'll have an easy reason to purchase one. This won't be until next year at least.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #799 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
I love that I can play the switch on the TV (we only have one), pop it into portable mode when my wife wants to watch a movie, and then carry it upstairs and play a little more before bed.

I haven't had any problems with the joycons or the dock (knock on wood). And I've seen much better battery life by putting the system in airplane mode. I'm looking forward to taking this thing on a trip. Going to try out Snipperclips on an airplane next week.