Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780875 times)

Pro_Amateur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Leave no stache behind
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
When I was a kid, I started out on a Philips Videopac (known in the US as the Odyssey system) and then went to PC via the MSX systems. Always been playing, and I can say that the different Quest games seriously improved my English skills when I was a kid. (Leisure Suit Larry, anyone?)

Over the last couple of years, I've mostly played Call of Duty and Battlefield-type games. Not the online version, because they can feel so restricted from time to time. I used to play Operation Flashpoint a lot. Now it's mostly War Thunder, a free WW2 flight simulator on Steam.

And now for something completely different: sometimes I play games on my (work) ipad, and I recently found a free game called "Does not commute". It's about commuting and I'm some mustachians will enjoy it. It's very funny and makes fun of commuting.

brett2k07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: December 30, 2015, 05:36:17 AM »
I have a PS3 and would almost exclusively play the extinction game mode on Call of Duty Ghosts with a friend. It was either that or MLB The Show. I'm a pretty big baseball and soccer junkie. Guilty pleasures. We would only play a couple nights a week (we live about 1,000 miles apart, literally).

However, I recently got a PS4 and received the new Call of Duty for Christmas. Haven't really played that one that much. I have been more focused on Assassin's Creed Unity which has been pretty fun.

greentea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:59 AM »
I play PC games. I am playing Skyrim at this time, I shall try to finish this... I am about halfway through. I used to play Diablo3, Civilzation, War of warcraft, everquest 2. I no longer play MMORPGs, I need a lighter game with less personal involvement.

I am interested in playing Witcher 3 though, when I am done with Skyrim.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2016, 06:21:37 AM »
Finished the Civil War Overhaul mod for Skyrim. It adds some neat stuff and definitely improves the experience. Not sure it was worth the other mods I had to sacrifice for compatibility. On the other hand, Helgen Reborn was a fantastic quest line with some of the best writing and acting I've seen in a mod.

Now off for Falskaar (mod) and then play the official Bethesda DLCs, which we've owned for a long time but I've only ever barely started in past playthroughs.

My wife's been really enjoying Shadowrun Dragon Rising. I might start playing that soon for a change of pace.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »
Don't play much these days, but I've been playing Pillars of Eternity on and off for the past couple months. I'd definitely recommend it if you're a fan of old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate. I've also jumped into Diablo 3 a couple times over the holidays to play with a buddy living on the other side of the country.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X this weekend. Enjoying it so far.

ReadyToStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2016, 01:44:15 PM »
I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X this weekend. Enjoying it so far.

As did I! I can tell this will be quite the time sink.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »
The Steam sale finally broke my willpower and I bought Garry's Mod and Don't Starve (plus the most-on-sale DLC) for a grand total of $7.50 over the weekend. I haven't played Garry's Mod yet, but Don't Starve is pretty cool. (For the record, I haven't starved yet -- I keep getting killed by animals/monsters instead.)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »
The Steam sale finally broke my willpower and I bought Garry's Mod and Don't Starve (plus the most-on-sale DLC) for a grand total of $7.50 over the weekend. I haven't played Garry's Mod yet, but Don't Starve is pretty cool. (For the record, I haven't starved yet -- I keep getting killed by animals/monsters instead.)

I haven't played Don't Starve at all, but my kids have sure enjoyed it, especially the other characters you unlock as you play.

cube.37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2016, 03:05:42 PM »
Just dota 2 for me. I've played it since 2010 (dota 1 back then), and still love it. No money involved and you can essentially run it on a wooden computer.

Only problem with dota is that my fiancee will not accept that I am "committed" to a game for 45 minute stretches, so we have an arrangement where I now only play when she's sleeping; i.e. Fri/Saturday 10pm-4am lol..

FIRE4Science

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:52 AM »
I bought and built a new pc last year since my previous one lasted at least 10 years. (I have it set up still for my wife to use at home.) With the latest CPU and GPU's bought with black friday deals 2 years ago, I have been able to play some of the latest pc games without any issues and will be able to play the latest games for years to come before i hit minimum specifications.
My # 1 pc game: Elder Scrolls Online: Tameriel Unlimited. I have seen the keys as low as $15 now, and there is no monthly subscription anymore. I have been playing this a few times a week for over 6 months now and love it still!

My backlog consists of:
1) Finishing up Assassin's Creed: Rogue with legendary ship battles.
2) Assassin's Creed Unity
3) Just Cause 3. Haven't bought yet but may in 6 months or later.
4) Civ Beyond Earth and Civ 5 I still play with friends occasionally.
5) Witcher 3 I hear is fantastic but won't own until i want to play it.

All other pc games on the backlog are past the 1 year touch or get rid of it marker. Even the ones on Steam that I have not reinstalled.

I hope one day these games become available to "borrow" for free at the local libraries, or online libraries like movies, ebooks, audiobooks, and tools are.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:48 AM »
I hope one day these games become available to "borrow" for free at the local libraries, or online libraries like movies, ebooks, audiobooks, and tools are.

Publishers have been doing everything they possibly can, including lobbying for Draconian copyright laws to the point that they're being held superior to actual property rights, to prevent that sort of thing.

For example, you are basically no longer allowed by law to modify or even fix many parts of your car because it's all computer-controlled and the computers are encrypted, which makes messing with it a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As the "Internet of Things" becomes more and more prevalent, it will get to the point where private property rights are utterly destroyed.

This is why, despite being a computer geek, I make it a point to drive old cars and avoid most "smart home" technology. (Frugality is only a secondary reason.) I'd rather spend my money on donations to the Electronic Frontier Foundation than on DRM'd shit.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »
Not a big gamer, but my SO is. We play PC games hooked up to the TV through HDMI.

The Winter Steam sale was just too good. We picked up:
  • Don't Starve Together
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Grim Fandango
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth

I believe all of those games were under $10 when we bought them, some under $5. Don't Starve Together is my fave, and it's fun to play cooperatively with our friends who live in other states. Gaming can be a cheap hobby if you don't rush to play THE LATEST games and wait patiently for deep discounts.

Quaglar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
Hey there folks.

I actually recently stopped playing Dota2. Not because its bad, but because it is too good of a game, and I want to be good at it too much to do the grad school stuff I have been trying to grind through.

Games I have really been enjoying recently:

Crusader Kings 2 - Really hard with a steep learning curve, but it is a wonderful story generating game. If you are looking for a game that offer depth while allowing you to play it on your laptop while you watch TV with someone else this is the game for you.

TowerFall Ascension - Really fun game that is some of the funnest couch multiplayer I have ever had. Really solid PC replacement for the Smash Bros.(N64)  kind of experience.

Jack Box 1 & 2 - A new set of games from the people who made the "You don't know jack games". This has basically replaced 90% of the party games we play with the In-Laws. It is really awesome because it allows players to submit there answers via their cell phones, essentially replacing the need for a board that many party games have. If you do pick it up I would suggest playing Fibbage and Drawful first as they are the most compelling games.

Civ V with all the expansions + NQMOD - Recently started playing the game again with a mod that alters the balance of each of civs you can play as. It was made for multiplayer, but I find it spices up single player quite a bit by making some of the weaker civs significantly stronger.

All of the above games you can get on steam. You can also see if they are offered cheaper on the website G2A.com, which sells game codes second hand.

I would greatly recommend picking up some wireless Xbox 360 controllers and a wireless receiver if you ever have folks over to your house to play some video games.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2016, 03:32:44 PM »
Crusader Kings 2 - Really hard with a steep learning curve, but it is a wonderful story generating game. If you are looking for a game that offer depth while allowing you to play it on your laptop while you watch TV with someone else this is the game for you.

I got a code for that back when I was a game reviewer and was never able to get into it. Glad you're having fun - I enjoyed reading about a lot of others' experiences with it back when it released.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »
Just recently picked up GTA 4 for my PS3. I had it before on my 360, but never got too far. This time around, I'm stuck on this game like I was on Skyrim. It's just consuming all my free time.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »
I bought a ps3 when GTA5 came out and it was bundled for $269 (or something like that).  GTA 5 was awesome.  Then I played the last of us, also awesome.  Then I tried to play GTA 4 and it sucked balls compared to GTA 5.  The graphics were worse, and the handling of the vehicles was terrible.  I would rather just replay GTA 5 than play GTA 4.  I should have played them in reverse order.

Then I picked up the legendary edition of skyrim for $15 and it blew my mind. By far my favorite game ever. I put in over 500 hours on various characters and did just about everything you can do in the game and earned every trophy.  Only one of my characters got to a high enough level to meet the ebony warrior, and I fought him asap.  It was by far the hardest battle of the game.  I could not beat him on legendary, he would literally one shot me dead, and no matter what I did I could barely make a dent in his health.  I continued playing that character up to about level 130 or so, and would have liked to have a rematch with him because I could have wiped the floor with him at that point.  In fact I wiped the floor with everyone at that point, my character was pretty much invincible and could do just about anything he wanted.  That game kept me occupied for over a year.

Just recently I purchased and played red dead redemption (including the undead nightmare).  It was a pretty cool game.  Probably spent 70* hours playing it, and another 10-15 on undead nightmare.  I thought I would love undead nightmare because I love zombies so much, but it was pretty short and the end was ultimately unsatisfying.  Overall it was still a great game and well worth the $20 or so you can pick it up for now.

*I'm ashamed at how many of those hours were spent cheating the pants off everyone at the poker table.

No backstory required, just jump in to Skyrim and enjoy!

Anyone have advice about Skyrim? I want to play but don't know where the entry point is. Going back to the first game in the series seems like overkill. recommendations?

As mentioned above, Skyrim is great on it's own. I bought it on 360 shortly after it came out, the first time I paid close to full price for a game in YEARS. By far the best game I have ever played. I later bought Oblivion, and I couldn't really get past the dated graphics. I would recommend trying to get the legendary edition as it will have all the DLC on it. Of course, if you're playing on PC, then no matter.

Exact same problem I had with GTA5/GTA4 - couldn't downgrade despite the predecessor being a great game.  If you want to play oblivion I would recommend playing it before skyrim.

Since I enjoyed skyrim so much I just purchased dragon age: origins.  It was a bundle that included dragon age:awakening and all the dlc.  If I enjoy it even a fraction as much as I enjoyed skyrim, it should keep me occupied for a long time.  And it has a couple sequels I can move on to.  I am only about 2 hours into it so far.  It seems overly complicated at the moment, and I don't have the hang of combat at all yet, but i'm assuming as I familiarize myself with it I will end up liking it.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
frugalnacho - The driving physics in GTA4 are what get me every time to try to play the game. Never looked to see if anyone modded it on the PC but I've tried several times on console and PC to get into that game and just can't. I'd like to give GTA5 a try but PC copies still run $35 on sale so I'm waiting another year or two.

Dragon Age: Origins is a fantastic game. Did you ever play BioWare's older game Knights of the Old Republic? The combat in DA:O is right out of that one. Basically it's a pseudo-turn-based system. In hard fights you're supposed to periodically pause the action, check on everyone, issue new orders to each party member, etc. Unlike true turn-based systems, though, in easy fights you can just roll over enemies quickly by never pausing and just using mainly default attacks.

If combat never grabs you, just turn the difficulty down and enjoy the story. Some nicely developed characters in that game. IIRC there's about 25-40 hours of content between base game and DLC depending on whether you start new characters to see the alternate origin stories.

Skyrim is an awesome game. Surprised it gave you no issues on PS3. I was under the impression from numerous friends that version of the game was seriously jacked up at launch and never fixed all that well by Bethesda.

Red Dead is a cool game too. I found it interesting how much it influenced Witcher 3 of all things.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2016, 08:52:45 AM »
frugalnacho - The driving physics in GTA4 are what get me every time to try to play the game. Never looked to see if anyone modded it on the PC but I've tried several times on console and PC to get into that game and just can't. I'd like to give GTA5 a try but PC copies still run $35 on sale so I'm waiting another year or two.

Dragon Age: Origins is a fantastic game. Did you ever play BioWare's older game Knights of the Old Republic? The combat in DA:O is right out of that one. Basically it's a pseudo-turn-based system. In hard fights you're supposed to periodically pause the action, check on everyone, issue new orders to each party member, etc. Unlike true turn-based systems, though, in easy fights you can just roll over enemies quickly by never pausing and just using mainly default attacks.

If combat never grabs you, just turn the difficulty down and enjoy the story. Some nicely developed characters in that game. IIRC there's about 25-40 hours of content between base game and DLC depending on whether you start new characters to see the alternate origin stories.

Skyrim is an awesome game. Surprised it gave you no issues on PS3. I was under the impression from numerous friends that version of the game was seriously jacked up at launch and never fixed all that well by Bethesda.

Red Dead is a cool game too. I found it interesting how much it influenced Witcher 3 of all things.

I'm sure the driving physics on GTA4 would be fine if I hadn't gotten so used to GTA5.   But after GTA5 they are honestly unplayable.  It really bummed me out because I purchase GTA4 (it also included 2 more games using the same engine - the ballad of gay tony and the lost and the damned) for $15 thinking I was going to get a hundred hours of entertainment, and I had to turn it off after only a few hours into the main game.

I've never played any turn based gamed.  I never really got into any RPG until skyrim, which also had a learning curve.  I didn't enjoy the first several hours of skyrim, but I pressed on because it got so many rave reviews.  After I got the hang of it I loved it.  I'm assuming the same thing will happen with dragon age once I figure out the mechanics and nuances.  I really don't understand the leveling system and the attributes I can beef up (strength, dexterity, etc), but i'm assuming after some more game play i'll get the hang of it and learn what I like and what is actually useful for my character.  I've only played about 2 hours so far as a male human warrior.  I fought some large rats, and some of Howe's men.  Then I got recruited by ducan, and have been walking around the base camp talking to people, so I figure i'm not actually into the "game" world just yet. Hopefully I don't venture out on the first mission and get my ass handed to me.

I didn't buy skyrim until they had released the final 1.9 patch.  I bought the legendary edition which includes all 3 dlc with it.  There were a few quirky bugs with it, but it basically ran fine until my save file got very large around level 40 then I had significant freezing and stuttering issues that were bad enough to make me put the game down.  I eventually returned to it though and took some steps to reduce my save file size.  I also turned off the autosave option and just saved manually, and that had the biggest impact on improving performance.  Solstheim still seems a lot more buggy than the main land though, so you may want to do the dragonborn quests and explore that island at earlier levels rather than later.  It may be different on a platform other than ps3 though. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »

Publishers have been doing everything they possibly can, including lobbying for Draconian copyright laws to the point that they're being held superior to actual property rights, to prevent that sort of thing.

For example, you are basically no longer allowed by law to modify or even fix many parts of your car because it's all computer-controlled and the computers are encrypted, which makes messing with it a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. As the "Internet of Things" becomes more and more prevalent, it will get to the point where private property rights are utterly destroyed.

This is why, despite being a computer geek, I make it a point to drive old cars and avoid most "smart home" technology. (Frugality is only a secondary reason.) I'd rather spend my money on donations to the Electronic Frontier Foundation than on DRM'd shit.

Fortunately that is changing :)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/27/9622150/dmca-exemption-accessing-car-software

The Librarian of Congress has issued new exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) as part of a triennial review, and one of them grants people access to parts of the computer software running their cars. While you've always been allowed to tinker with your car's engine or change the oil and rotate the tires, now you'll be able to get under the digital hood.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2016, 09:09:24 AM »
I never really got into any RPG until skyrim,

FYI, Grand Theft Auto is an RPG too.

Fortunately that is changing :)

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/27/9622150/dmca-exemption-accessing-car-software

The Librarian of Congress has issued new exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) as part of a triennial review, and one of them grants people access to parts of the computer software running their cars. While you've always been allowed to tinker with your car's engine or change the oil and rotate the tires, now you'll be able to get under the digital hood.

Every little bit helps, but the only way to actually solve the problem would be to repeal that shit law entirely.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
I find the newer Bethesda games to be extremely repetitive. Especially Skyrim and Fallout 4. Oblivion a bit less so. Morrowind was and is, IMO, the best Bethesda game by a long shot (except for the now dated graphics).

All of the quests in Skyrim and Fallout 4 can be summarized as such:

Kill
Loot
Return

This is a great tragedy! They spend so much time working on the graphics and the world that they sorta went "meh" and just did generic (radiant) quests and passable storylines. Can't wait for the Morro'Bliv'rim mod/remake!

Talking about the steam sale, I recently picked up Dark Souls 2 ... for the PC. Wow, I have yet to find a game with worse controls. It was so bad, I actually requested a refund after 40 minutes of painful key rebinding...

I also picked up Empire at War (star wars 4x type game) for 5$ and highly recommend it. The vanilla game is "meh" but the mods are where the fun is at!

Also, working my way through Fallout 4, but I am starting to get bored of the repetitititittitititititiveness. I want to plow through for the story but I am finding less and less time to play it. Plus, Garvey keeps sending me on these long treks to save settlers from raiders or ghouls....

On the odd day that I want to play a Moba, I play Heroes of the Storm from Blizzard. It's pretty fun.

Olive Branch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
I picked up Darkest Dungeon for PC while waiting for XCOM 2 to come out to scratch my ironman permadeath RPG fix, and holey moley the game is fun, early access or not. Stressing out your dudes and seeing them berate each other is hilarious before everyone dies horribly fighting unholy abominations.

Just a tip in case you're starting out: upgrade your stage coach for a few extra heroes each week ASAP so that you have a fresh flow of greedy adventurous rookies wanting to loot and plunder the local haunted estate. You'll need them.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2016, 11:17:37 PM »
I've been strictly a PC gamer for the past five years or so. I had a 360 but sold it because I never played it. I have a pretty decent PC rig that I built a few years back. It can handle most newer games fine. However, my awesome girlfriend bought me an Xbox One for Christmas. It came with the updated Gears of War, Rare Replay, and Ori and the Blind Forest. Microsoft has been having a sale on their site and I picked up the Halo 5 Deluxe Digital Edition, Shovel Knight, Alien: Isolation Collection, and Thomas Was Alone. So I should be good on games for a while. I've been playing Ori and Halo 5. I'm going to plow through a couple of those games before I pick up anything else. I hear good things about Rise of the Tomb Raider. So that may be my next purchase.

Edit: Sorry for the long blank space. My cat crawled on my keyboard before I posted and I didn't notice the period.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 03:08:41 PM by JimLahey »

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2016, 04:57:03 AM »
Long term WoW player here, used to spend most of my free time on it and had two active accounts for dual-boxing (tried 5-boxing too and love soloing instances, but only when I got free trials through I was never crazy (or rich) enough to pay for 5 subs at once).  I've cut down a lot since then so I mostly just play 2 nights a week to raid with my guild at the moment.  I'm not sure if I'll get the new expansion when it comes out, I enjoy raiding with my current guild and I've made friends that I'll miss if I stopped playing, but I have a lot of other things to do in my spare time and I don't know if I have the motivation for another round of leveling and gearing up (which is when I most feel that I'm missing out by playing more casually).

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
I haven't played any PC games in years. Sounds like there are some pretty cool ones out there.

I bought my son an Xbox One last year. He plays a few different games. Admittedly I am a bit addicted to Halo, particularly online multiplayer. It's a lot of fun, but you do have to contend with a lot of little kids (and probably big ones as well) quitting the game early, killing their own team members etc. It can get annoying. My son and I can play together on the same TV through split screen. It's rather fun.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »
I can't play any of the newer games because all I have is an old laptop, but I have been sinking some hours into Mount and Blade: Warband.

I also enjoy Majora's Mask 3D. The graphics update just really makes it more beautiful, and the 3D effect makes Terminal just come to life. I played the original on the N64, but I gotta say I like this one much more.

Daffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2016, 11:32:08 PM »
I've been playing Back to the Future and Rocket League (which is awesome).

I never really got into any RPG until skyrim,

FYI, Grand Theft Auto is an RPG too.

GTA has always been classified more as an open world, action-adventure game. It's only a "RPG" in the sense that you are playing a "role" in a game, but if we go by that loose of a definition, then almost any video game is a RPG.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2016, 11:44:35 PM »
Long time Gamer here. Now only playing PC games. DH just finished Fallout 4. I am close to finishing it. WoW accounts are cancelled for the moment and I believe DH is playing DD Original Sin. We bought Paper Sorcerer as time filler while in between WoW and F4, Im excited to get back to it! best $5 spent last fall!

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:40 AM »
Just started Witcher III, I find the controls rather clunky, but the story is quite immersive!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2016, 07:03:10 PM »
Recently finished GTA 4. Now it's pretty meh. It does not have the same replay ability of games like Skyrim. Though vastly different in genres, they are both open world games. The issue with GTA is that so much of the world is not interactive. Most buildings have doors that do not open and fire escapes you cannot climb.

Now I think it's time to go back to games I left behind without finishing. The question is, which one? I have "The Last of Us", "DarkSouls", "Ni, No, Kuni", and "Ratchet and Clank a Crack in Time".

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
Recently finished GTA 4. Now it's pretty meh. It does not have the same replay ability of games like Skyrim. Though vastly different in genres, they are both open world games. The issue with GTA is that so much of the world is not interactive. Most buildings have doors that do not open and fire escapes you cannot climb.

Now I think it's time to go back to games I left behind without finishing. The question is, which one? I have "The Last of Us", "DarkSouls", "Ni, No, Kuni", and "Ratchet and Clank a Crack in Time".

+1 for Last of Us

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2016, 08:52:54 AM »

+1 for Last of Us

second that

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »

+1 for Last of Us

second that
3rd.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2016, 05:04:43 PM »
Great minds think alike! I put the disc in today, have yet to play it though. Thanks everyone!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2016, 05:50:34 PM »
The Falskaar mod for Skyrim was pretty bad and that just took the momentum out of my playthrough. I'd gotten sucked into Skyrim mainly because of testing mods intended for my other family members, so in a way this is a good thing. I've played that damn game enough for now.

I'm a few hours into Shadowrun: Dragonfall and liking it quite a bit.

Installed the MGSO (relatively comprehensive bugfix, tweaking, and huge graphics overhaul for Morrowind) mod last night and started playing a bit today. Really liking Morrowind so far. It's a game I've bounced off of a few times but really want to give it a shot.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »
I downloaded War thunder the other day - it's free on steam, and from the manufactorers website. It's quite fun so far, and my BF downloaded it too, but we seem to keep ending up on opposing sides.
It's a combat game, and you can play as either a tank or an aircraft. The graphics are pretty good too. We shall see how we go with it.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »
I'm playing a lot of Crusader Kings II and Railroad Tycoon II lately. Before that I was playing the Bethesda RPGs, replaying Command and Conquer: Generals, playing the Bioware RPGs, and playing Civ V. CivBE is a colossal disappointment - I paid $30 for a skin for Civ V.

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
I'm a big Civilization fan but I've been playing Faster Than Light recently.

It is a GREAT game that can be had for cheap.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
A fair few RPG fans here, eh?

I've been pretty bad with games lately - not finishing many.

Divinity: Original Sin (I hear there is a free upgrade to the enhanced version?), Pillars of Eternity.. Xenoblade X I will probably return to.

Skyrim, actually. I loved Oblivion (which everyone seemed to think was crap?), but Skyrim is just a bit too much like Canada (Ontario) in the winter. Brr!

Xenoblade.. man I loved Xenoblade Chronicles so much. X is good, but I'm not enjoying the mechs at all ('dolls' or skells, or gears, really). I LOVED the 'original' (Xenogears) so so much.

Long time WoW player... at least, years ago. Each new expansion I do the trial and go.. ugh.. why did they fuck up talents so much. Yuck.

Guild Wars 2 I played through to the 'end' when it was first out. I find the skill system too limited - it's less an RPG, somehow. Not a fan of the 'different skills under water' either. I mean, I liked it for a long time, but the high end zones were just empty.

Currently I'm mostly playing Final Fantasy: Record Keeper. And I have Final Fantasy XII emulated on my PC...

To the person who loves FF IX - I agree to a point but the battles are so slooooow!

I have FF XIII coming. Will give it a go. I got XIII-2 a while back and didn't love it - hoping I can work through XIII and then move on to part 2 and enjoy it.

VII man I hope they don't mess it up - it, and Tactics, are my favourites.

Any love for Suikoden?! Heh.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2016, 08:11:54 AM »
Xenoblade.. man I loved Xenoblade Chronicles so much. X is good, but I'm not enjoying the mechs at all ('dolls' or skells, or gears, really). I LOVED the 'original' (Xenogears) so so much.
The first Xenoblade was definitely better. I just got access to the Skells' flying ability which makes exploration a lot easier. The Skell combat isn't great, though I like the bind system. My biggest complaint is the story has been pretty unsurprising (with the exception of Chapter 5). That and the annoying Tatsu who has no real reason to stay with your party after your initial encounter. Oh yeah, and the music is good but not nearly at the same level as the previous game.

And I have Final Fantasy XII emulated on my PC...
XII was one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. Especially from a combat system perspective.

I have FF XIII coming. Will give it a go. I got XIII-2 a while back and didn't love it - hoping I can work through XIII and then move on to part 2 and enjoy it.
XIII was probably my least favorite Final Fantasy game.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
I haven't played anything recently as I've been a bit busy, but when I was in college I was massively into League of Legends. Put that down halfway through grad school and it's been 2 years since I've logged in though.  I really enjoyed Skyrim and Oblivion when they came out, but I played mainly on xbox.  I bought an Xbox One a few months ago and mainly play Destiny on that.

I occasionally fire up Heroes of Might and Magic 3 or Diablo, but I think I've been leaning more towards things like FTL or Civ recently.  I've got my eye on Darkest Dungeon for when I get some more time to play.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
Anyone seen http://www.no-mans-sky.com/ - looks pigging awesome, IMHO.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2016, 07:00:14 PM »

That looks like it could be a GREAT game!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2016, 06:42:35 AM »

That looks like it could be a GREAT game!

Definitely!

shrnjad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2016, 06:46:22 AM »
Stumbled upon this game, where you have to design a metro system:
http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

It is a simple game, but so addictive!! :D :D

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »

VERY nice! I just played a few rounds and it is pretty cool. Takes a little getting used to, but it speaks to my logical planning mind. Makes me want to get back into Civilization. Thanks for the link!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »

VERY nice! I just played a few rounds and it is pretty cool. Takes a little getting used to, but it speaks to my logical planning mind. Makes me want to get back into Civilization. Thanks for the link!

Speaking of Civ...did you see the latest Humble Bundle?

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »
OK MMM Gamers - here's a question for you.

I'd like to dip my toes into the water on PC games, specifically naval battle types.  BUT......GF and I have an ancient PC (~9 years old) that doesn't cut the mustard - not enough memory, computing power or video card....

So....I'm looking for a new computer that has enough computing horsepower, memory and graphics capabilities to run something like World of Warships but that doesn't break the bank.

In perusing various retailers, I see where "gamer" PC's can be had from $450 up to asinine price points.  "Business models" seem to be the same price range - bottom end on up.  So, what's the REAL difference between a "gamer" PC and a standard PC?

But.....this has to be a jack of all trades machine - Excel, Word, standard internet access, simple photo editing, iTunes, etc, etc, etc.

So, what hardware features should I be looking for?  How much memory / hard drive / what minimum spec on the video, etc?  And about what price point should this be?  What advantages are there going to above minimum threshold hardware?  Where is the sweet spot in terms of performance versus price?

I have zero base of knowledge when it comes to a PC suitable for gaming.  Give me something so I'm not just pointing at something and going "yeah.....I suppose so."

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »

Speaking of Civ...did you see the latest Humble Bundle?

Dang.... No I did not, and thankfully so, lol! I play mostly PS3 games and only have a few on my mac. Civ 5 being one of the ones I got a few months back. I had Civ 2 way back when and got Civ 5 on sale.