Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 163648 times)

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #1050 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
Monster Hunter World drops today, can't wait to pick it up!

I've never played a MH game. I'm usually more into JRPGs, and the odd MMORPG. I'm currently playing FF XV and really enjoyed Comrades, which sort've sounds like Monster Hunter I *think*?

I'm really not all that good at combat, though, which makes me think MH is not for me... Thoughts?

Monster Hunter is a really niche game. Good news is that in this iteration they really tried to appeal to a wider audience, so it's the most accessible version compared to the other games.

For combat there is definitely a steep learning curve. It's not your traditional fast moving slice and dice instant gratification kind of RPG. Combat is more like Dark Souls.  It's sluggish and skillful. But oh so rewarding when you overcome a tough monster.

Also, the multiplayer is killer and the game is very multiplayer centric. There's such an intense thrill of getting in groups and taking on huge monsters.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1051 on: January 29, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
Anyway, anyone playing Subnautica? I'm generally not a survival game fan but, the natural progression and unique underwater premise has me hooked!

Been watching Jacksepticeye play through (and like, 20 other youtubers). Gorgeous game! Could not/would not play it, but the story is intriguing.

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #1052 on: January 29, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
Q
Could not/would not play it

Too much thalassophobia?
"There cannot be two skies"

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1053 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
Q
Could not/would not play it

Too much thalassophobia?

You got your giant fish, you got your aliens, you got vast open spaces, you got your caves, you got the "deep dark deep dark" as JSE calls it, you got your "last man standing" / completely alone mentality, and yeah, your thalassophobia. Lots of nopes for me.

I don't play many horror/scary type games (most survival games fit into that scary genre for me) but I love watching other people play, especially if that game has a good story element, which Subnautica seems to have. The Forest was another survival game that I would never touch, but damn that story got me (so did those cannibal jump scares).

BiochemicalDJ

• Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #1054 on: January 29, 2018, 02:32:08 PM »
SubNautica is a relentlessly gorgeous game with an engaging story that gets a hell of a lot less scary from a 'predators' perspective once you find out that as long as you stay on the move and hug the shallows, other than dodging a half-assed bite here or there as you zip around looking for copper / pretty coral samples, nothing will kill you in one shot, or even 2-3 shots. You generally have to be working pretty hard to die to predators. Drowning, on the other hand, is an ever present concern that needs to be deeply respected. After the first few times, you're more angered by your own stupidity that it happened to you and you just lost a backpack full of silver ore rather than actually feeling the existential dread of a death by drowning.

I recommend the 'Neebs Gaming' comedic playthrough for a lighter take on a hefty topic. They did a great job with the voiceovers- so much so that 'Neebs' was offered a voiceover spot in the final version of the game!

I can't account for the sense of absolute terror once you leave the safe shallows, trundle your way out into the deeps in your adorable little micro sub making jetsons noises until you realize you don't have any landmarks nearby, you're surrounded by blackness on every side except for the plankton illuminated by your floodlights, and then you hear the deep, basso groan of something much, much larger than you in the distance. With the occasional hint of writhing coils or jaws that dwarf the scale of your tiny 1 person submersible.

Luckily, you don't *have* to do that at any point in the game. I can 100% confirm you can beat the game without going into the inky black depths that far. That, you have to do by choice.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:35:46 PM by BiochemicalDJ »
Having fun isn't hard when you have a library card.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/biochemicaldj-redox/

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #1055 on: January 30, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »
You generally have to be working pretty hard to die to predators.

Yeah, I feel like everyone has one early death to the first Reaper that ambushes them and that's about it. Once you get equipped and learn the fauna it's easy to avoid predators.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1056 on: January 31, 2018, 08:47:31 AM »
is this available on xbox one or pc only ?

Looks very intriguing...Almost like a playable version of the movie "abyss"

Gondolin

• Bristles
« Reply #1057 on: January 31, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
It's available on Xbox one. The Xbox one version isn't quite officially released as the devs are still working some optimization issues but, it has all the content of the Steam release.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1058 on: February 04, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
Tried Paragon, boring as fuck.

Tried Fortnight Battle Royal, too complex with the whole building elements.

Now Iím getting into Divinity Original Sin, and a whole bunch of random VR games. Rescuties is one of my favourites.

Divinity Original Sin 2 or the first game?
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge. We have a podcast! 

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #1059 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:55 PM »
Been a while..I won a Switch in sept so I picked up a few games for that using Gamestop credit. Ive also picked up a few games on Black Friday. I finished the latest South Park game, ive been playing Wolfenstein 2.

I have also spent some time with PUBG

I did to get back and finish Fallout 4 DLC, start and play Skyrim, finish Rise of the Tomb Raider, start and finish Yakuza Kiwami , finish Divinity Original Sin and play some more Switch games.

Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge. We have a podcast! 

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #1060 on: February 05, 2018, 01:11:38 PM »
Been a while..I won a Switch in sept so I picked up a few games for that using Gamestop credit. Ive also picked up a few games on Black Friday. I finished the latest South Park game, ive been playing Wolfenstein 2.

I have also spent some time with PUBG

I did to get back and finish Fallout 4 DLC, start and play Skyrim, finish Rise of the Tomb Raider, start and finish Yakuza Kiwami , finish Divinity Original Sin and play some more Switch games.

are you fi ? how do you have so much time lol #jealous

Scandium

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
Starcraft 2. Then some more Starcraft 2.. 1v1 of course
Playing a 7 year old free to play game which works your reaction speed, multitasking, thinking under pressure and other cognitive skills seems pretty Mustacian to me:) At 35 years old I'm pretty happy I still have ~160 APM.

gooki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: February 05, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »

Now Iím getting into Divinity Original Sin, and a whole bunch of random VR games. Rescuties is one of my favourites.

First game
Follow me on my journey to FI.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1063 on: February 06, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
Playing a 7 year old free to play game which works your reaction speed, multitasking, thinking under pressure and other cognitive skills seems pretty Mustacian to me:) At 35 years old I'm pretty happy I still have ~160 APM.

MUST CONSTRUCT MORE PYLONS!

farmecologist

• Bristles
« Reply #1064 on: February 06, 2018, 08:52:32 AM »

First game

Have you guys tried Path of Exile and Grim Dawn?  Really great 'diablo-like' games. 

Also...dead cells?   This one has it's hooks in me at the moment.  it is a 2D 'try and die' not unlike Dark Souls...but also has roguelike elements.  The upgrade mechanism has that 'just one more try' addictiveness to it.  And time commitment is minimal since you can quit at any time and restart where you left off, etc...

Scandium

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1065 on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:17 AM »

MUST CONSTRUCT MORE PYLONS!
Always working on gathering more minerals...
Also in the game.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:58:21 AM by Scandium »

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1066 on: February 08, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
I know Overcooked was discussed already, but I finally played for the first time over the weekend. It’s a shame that game isn’t (and apparently has no plans to be) online, because I would buy this in a heart beat. I just don’t have enough friends physically near me who enjoy video games.

Pictured: me in the bottom left trying to light myself on fire in shame for not getting stuff off the stove fast enough. Friend one on the bottom throwing everything onto the conveyor belt into the trash because why not. Friend on the top spraying everything but the fire with the fire extinguisher. Final friend still trying to beat the level.

Edit - WHY IS THE PICTURE UPSIDE. WHY PHONE. WHY DO YOU HATE ME.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:01:10 AM by Lis »

ptobeast

• Stubble
« Reply #1067 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
Overcooked looks really neat - I went to add it to my Steam wishlist only to find that it was already there. In other news, I should actually play all of the games I own before thinking about purchasing more from my wishlist. Every Steam sale makes the list of games I have grow, and there's not enough time to play them all *looks longingly at future FIRE*.