Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 780906 times)

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
For those who have played through the Uncharted series, should I just play 2 & 3?  I have 1-3 collection that came with my PS4 but I'm thinking about skipping 1 only because people said some of the play mechanics aren't as good on the PS4 (or something like that).  Is it worthwhile to play 1 or should I skip to 2, which I understand is when Uncharted really broke out.

SouthernTransplant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2016, 06:20:02 AM »
For those who have played through the Uncharted series, should I just play 2 & 3?  I have 1-3 collection that came with my PS4 but I'm thinking about skipping 1 only because people said some of the play mechanics aren't as good on the PS4 (or something like that).  Is it worthwhile to play 1 or should I skip to 2, which I understand is when Uncharted really broke out.

On a similar note, would anyone recommend the Uncharted series for someone who is absolutely loving The Last of Us right now?  I am mostly enjoying the story, but the mechanics are fun too.  Being made by the same folks, is Uncharted similar?

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
I have Uncharted 3 that came with my PS3. I never played 1 or 2 and enjoyed it on it's own. Never finished. Then got The Last of Us and finished that like gangbusters. Much more engaging game and story for me. However, it made me want to go to back to U3, still couldn't get that much into it though.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
I just started Farcry 3 and am really enjoying it, especially the stealthy aspects with my trusty sniper rifle.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
I forget if I have already posted to this thread in the past - probably.

I play WoW on an intermittently active basis.  Currently I am on hiatus, because my guild beat the last raid on heroic level and has no interest in mythics.  We will start up again for Legion in a few months. 

I play Sims 4 occasionally - I find it kind of meditative.  My life can be shitty but at least my Sim's career is going well.  :P

I also have been playing Fallout 4, but I got bored with it pretty quickly. 

I am looking forward to No Man's Sky this summer.  It sounds really immersive and interesting. 

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2016, 12:59:53 PM »
I just bought Fallout New Vegas UE for my PS3. So for so good. A lot like Fallout 3, but we'll see how it goes.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2016, 02:17:26 PM »

Picked up Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Liking it so far. I enjoy being able to grind my characters up, so I wanted to start with Birthright and do Conquest second. Hard Casual, no soft resets for me, unless I fail to recruit a character or something like that.

I thought about getting it, but I want to play Conquest. This game kinda seems to have a little East vs. West thing goong on and I kinda like that. That is, until I heard you had to *stop* your King from doing his thing if you play Nohr. What if I *wanted* to be the big bad Western kingdom? :(

My roommate got Conquest, he says the king is such an a-hole that you can't wait to stop him. That being said, I see your point. That's what I liked about the Fable series.

Fire Emblem is where it's at. Currently on birthright. Definitely gonna buy conquest and the 3rd path. I'll avoid the other dlc as much as possible.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2016, 03:55:39 PM »

I play Sims 4 occasionally - I find it kind of meditative.  My life can be shitty but at least my Sim's career is going well.  :P

Those Simites are so unmustachian, they take 3 hour showers!

I love the sim speak though. I lowers my murder index.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »
I am interested in No Man's Sky I'll be watching that. Anyone interested in the VR stuff? So costly

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
I am definitely interested in VR, but no way I'm dropping that much coin, especially not new tech. I like buying used gaming systems if at all possible and definitely after it's been out for a while. The Microsoft Halolens thingamagig seemed REALLY cool though. I had seen a Youtube video and they demonstrated it with Minecraft, it was like woah!

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »
Played Destiny on XB1 for a little over a year pretty regularly, but got a bit burned out on it.  Now I play Halo 5 here and there with a group of old high school friends online, it's a good way for us to chat.  Also picked up a used 3DS and a few Pokémon games after I helped my girlfriend's 7 year old cousin with his game a few weeks back.  Now that's something he and I can play together, and a few of my other friends have hopped on the Pokémon train too.

A couple of years ago I did gamefly for about 6 months, it was a great way to play a lot of the fun games I'd never want to buy.  Assassin's Creed, Arkham whatever the suffix is this time, and other random games that are fun for a week or two then you never touch again.  I'm considering starting it up again and working my way through the backlog.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »
Assassin's Creed could be such an amazing series (amazing environments, kill mechanics, etc.) but the problem is it's the same damn game over and over.  Eavesdrop here, climb to the top of here, infiltrate here, now repeat 10x in every city and game over.  And the worst one of all -- follow this dude while he yaps for 15 minutes about something no one cares about.  Let me go assassinate someone already!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »
I caved and bought The Division. I am just shy of the 5 hour mark and I am incredibly entertained.  I have never spent this much on a game before and I rarely spend much time gaming, but I actually think it was worth it.

hedgefund10

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2016, 07:21:30 PM »
COD: Advanced Warfare on PS3

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #265 on: March 22, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »
If you like Diablo 3 and the expansion its $8 at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/diablo-iii-reaper-of-souls-expansion-set-windowsmac/3676006.p?id=1219092663723&skuId=3676006

Not a bad deal.

I've been playing through Diablo 3 again on hardcore mode with a buddy. Definitely changes the way you play when you only have the 1 life.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: March 23, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »
Yeah Diablo 3 is a good mindless loot grab game. 

EOS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: March 25, 2016, 05:16:56 AM »
I caved and bought The Division. I am just shy of the 5 hour mark and I am incredibly entertained.  I have never spent this much on a game before and I rarely spend much time gaming, but I actually think it was worth it.

It's a GOOD game!!   I ended up buying it and have been very happy with it. 

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2016, 12:33:18 AM »
What, no one else is playing Mechwarrior Online????

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: March 27, 2016, 09:17:09 AM »
Banner Saga II is out next month!! If you haven't played the original, I HIGHLY recommend it. Fantastic game.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: March 27, 2016, 09:32:59 AM »
I recently bought the PS1 version of Final Fantasy VI on PS3.  It's my fiancé’s favourite video game, but it's my first time playing through.

Kefka, the main bad guy, is horrifyingly evil.  So far he's poisoned the water to an entire town, was perfectly okay with enslaving one of the main characters to do his bidding and slaughtered countless innocent people.  I keep looking at my partner while we're playing and saying "did he seriously just do that?!" and my partner is just laughing.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »
I just bought Fallout New Vegas UE for my PS3. So for so good. A lot like Fallout 3, but we'll see how it goes.

I actually prefer NV to Fallout 3, though both are awesome. Which faction are you going to go with, if any? Ave. True to Caesar.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »

I actually prefer NV to Fallout 3, though both are awesome. Which faction are you going to go with, if any? Ave. True to Caesar.

Now that I've had NV for this long I FAR prefer it to FO3. First play through was for Caesar, then NCR, now it's going to be House. However, I am playing all the DLC first. I am on the last one Dead Money. Really, really fun game. Made me miss the desert really badly too. I love the Mojave.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:33:22 PM by Thinkum »

syednaeemul

• Stubble
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
Facepunch time, Steam released Final Fantasy IX yesterday and I bought it, being my favourite Final Fantasy

josstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2016, 07:45:28 PM »
Endless Legend -- picked it up mostly on sale when they released the newest expansion (though it was still $30).  It has a steep learning curve, despite or perhaps because of the strong resemblance to Civ V. The uniqueness of each faction and the abbreviated (compared to say Galactic Civilizations) but powerful unit design feature really has me enthralled though. 

For instance, if you like building "tall" rather than "wide" in Civ, you might like the Cultists faction, who are only allowed to have one city, but the city gets massive bonuses to food, industry, science, gold (called "dust" in the game) and influence (diplomatic currency).  Using the city as a base you go around laying waste to the other factions' cities and converting unaffiliated villages to your doomsday cult.  I never really liked conquest in Civ V because I always felt like I had enough to do peacefully developing my cities, but the Cultists in Endless Legend have freed me to pursue global genocide.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
Facepunch time, Steam released Final Fantasy IX yesterday and I bought it, being my favourite Final Fantasy

This does deserve a facepunch.... FFIX was awful  :P

I didn't care for it much, but I get the appeal. Just felt too different from the franchise to me.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »

They did?! I must buy it! ... When it comes on sale. Or not because I already have it on ps1 and PS3.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #277 on: April 15, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »
Just bought the Conquest path and Map Pack 1 for my Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright game. Road trip tomorrow so I wanted to make sure I have enough content, nearly done with Birthright campaign.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »

I didn't care for it much, but I get the appeal. Just felt too different from the franchise to me.

It's very old school FF - fixed 'classes' rather than almost completely freeform. Apparently the new version allows faster battling; I did buy a copy a while back on PSN, I'd forgotten how long random battles take. So I'm tempted to give it a go.

Plus it seems that Perk now allows exchanging points for Steam gift cards, so I can get credit for 'free' (not really free but close... just takes time).

SouthernTransplant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: April 15, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »
If anyone is a fan of the Telltale "Point and Click" style of games, Humble Bundle has a great package of them available this week.  You can choose how much to pay, but they have games like The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, Tales from the Borderlands, etc.  $12 gets you the entire package.  A lot of these games sell for $20+ individually, so this can be pretty economical.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »
Done with the Division and went back to Fallout 4 to play the DLC. Plan for Summer is to play Uncharted 4, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and attempt to finish Divinity Original Sin or start and finish Baldur's Gate EE

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2016, 06:54:55 PM »
resistance in ingress

josstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »
Done with the Division and went back to Fallout 4 to play the DLC. Plan for Summer is to play Uncharted 4, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and attempt to finish Divinity Original Sin or start and finish Baldur's Gate EE

Funny, I bought Divinity Original Sin and Baldur's Gate (and Age of Decadence) recently and have put down both for other games as well. Maybe I don't like these types of games as much as I thought, even though Fallout 1 and 2 are two of my all-time favorites.

Looking forward to Witcher 3: Blood and Wine.

Yaeger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2016, 11:46:27 PM »
If you're a Baldur's Gate fan, check out Pillars of Eternity that came out recently. It's pretty much the same thing with better graphics, a great story line, and good mechanics. I loved it.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #284 on: April 18, 2016, 02:40:04 PM »

You sir are insane, FF9 is the best one - how is it a departure?

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »
Finished Witcher 3, going to start on Uncharted.  Still deciding if I should play the 1st one or just skip it.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »
Finished Witcher 3, going to start on Uncharted.  Still deciding if I should play the 1st one or just skip it.

Let me know if you end up trying the first! I got the Uncharted collection for Christmas. Haven't started it yet, but I've been pondering the same thing.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »

Let me know if you end up trying the first! I got the Uncharted collection for Christmas. Haven't started it yet, but I've been pondering the same thing.

I started game 1.  It's pretty... meh.  It's very linear in terms of the environment, similar to the old Tomb Raiders.  The guns are also a little odd, for instance, it seems like the 9mm pistol takes less shots to kill someone than the AK-47.  It's a good time killer if you want to stretch the game out but so far I would say it's one you can skip.

Gone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
Just finished the Donkey Kong Country trilogy on SNES for the millionth time.

Never gets old.

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
Shadow of Mordor is another one I've been playing recently

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: April 21, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
Just started messing around with Stardew Valley the other day. I can see why it's getting such positive reviews. Very similar appeal to Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon, but subtly different enough to feel fresh and engaging (or maybe it's just that I haven't played those games for years). I could see getting a good 30-40 hours out of this (maybe more, depending on just how deep it is), and yet it's a great pick up and play game, which is perfect, as I rarely have more than an hour or two to spare for gaming these days. A bargain at the full $15 price, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:38:50 PM by Lagom »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: April 21, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
I just messed around with Star Citizen for a bit.  It's buggy as hell, but I see the potential it has...I hope it's finished someday.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »
My friend spotted this the other day and I had to go see it for myself...

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2016, 05:11:48 AM »
We have a console, but I use a PC 90+% of the time.

I've been obsessing about "World of Tanks" lately.

I pretty much suck at it, but I like playing.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
The Raid Mode on Resident Evil Revelations is damned addictive.

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2016, 11:22:17 PM »
Endless Legends - It's like CIV 5 but better. I've easily put in over 100 hours. To give you an idea, I know I'm into the thousands for Civ 5.

Tried Warhammer Vermintide recently - not impressed.

Keep trying to pick up Skyrim (which is a genre I used to love) and can't seem to get into it. I think WoW has completely ruined me for having to level anything... EVER AGAIN.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:29:58 PM by Cyaphas »

Cyaphas

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: April 24, 2016, 09:53:43 PM »
Ooh, nifty. Looks like it's $30 on Steam so I'll bookmark it in case they mark it down for some future sale. I have the Civ5 expansion "Gods and Kings", I need to remember to bookmark whatever the expansion is for tourism too.

The Endless collections have had some pretty heavy discounts with steam sales. We picked our 3 copies up when they were 50% off. I wouldn't pay the current price. Also, the Civ 5 expansions and DLC's get a heavy discount when steam runs sales. We own and keep wanting "sid meier's civilization beyond earth" to get better but it just hasn't.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #297 on: April 25, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Ooh, nifty. Looks like it's $30 on Steam so I'll bookmark it in case they mark it down for some future sale. I have the Civ5 expansion "Gods and Kings", I need to remember to bookmark whatever the expansion is for tourism too.

The Endless collections have had some pretty heavy discounts with steam sales. We picked our 3 copies up when they were 50% off. I wouldn't pay the current price. Also, the Civ 5 expansions and DLC's get a heavy discount when steam runs sales. We own and keep wanting "sid meier's civilization beyond earth" to get better but it just hasn't.

My favorite of the genre is Sid meier's Alpha Centauri. I just love the premise, the unit design, the unique factions and the mindworms!

If you love civ games and/or turn based strategy, I think this one is hard to beat. I think it aged fairly well too.

While typing this, I just remembered just how much fun I had playing the Warlords 3 game back on a Win 95 PC. Too bad you can't run this one without emulating a windows 95 machine :( . The campaign was really fun. Anyone else remember that game?

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: April 25, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
Keep trying to pick up Skyrim (which is a genre I used to love) and can't seem to get into it.
Talk about a game that's good value for money.. I played the hell out of it a couple of years ago. No more time for it now though with two small children. Ah well..

At least I get to reminisce during work by listening to Skyrim soundscapes, excellent way to cancel out the office noise.

Curbside Prophet

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: April 26, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
Anyone play Dark Souls II or III?  Are they just as ridiculously hard as the original Dark Souls?

That was one game where I truly had moments where I want to throw the controller through the tv and yet when finally accomplishing something it was sooo satisfying.  I just don't know if I want to put myself through the pain again lol.