Author Topic: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?  (Read 125107 times)

Kevin S.

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian video gamers - what are you PLAYING?
« Reply #800 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »
bought Need for speed for ps4. Great game for 20 bucks ! Definitely an arcade type game, fun game if you take it face value.

if you like cars in any way shape or form you should buy it !

Geared towards the teenager however. I must be getting old but I find it beyond frustrating that having to answer your phone while driving and posting photos to your fake instagram account in game is super annoying (old man yells at cloud) lol

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #801 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:16 AM »
I bought Legion (WoW) and truly, I shouldn't have done that.
I really like the expansion so far and have to restraint myself of not playing too much. Just finished questing in the Aszuna area and I loved it!

I have a few friends that are going to try out the free vanilla WoW server.  I hear it's pretty populated and free.  I might check it out.

www.kronos-wow.com

I hate you. There went my weekend. =P

Fortunately, despite finding I still enjoy the game to some extent, I still have zero interest in the raid grinding kind of stuff. Call me a masochist, but I always kinda liked solo grinding reputation, questing, crafting, etc. Scratches the same itch of idle entertainment as angry birds or other such games. Might goof around with pvp a bit too if my interest holds long enough. Arathi Basin is still among my favorite pvp experiences in all of gaming.

Also, I discovered this server is much more populated, if that kind of thing matters to you:

https://elysium-project.org/

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #802 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:55 PM »
I bought Legion (WoW) and truly, I shouldn't have done that.
I really like the expansion so far and have to restraint myself of not playing too much. Just finished questing in the Aszuna area and I loved it!

I have a few friends that are going to try out the free vanilla WoW server.  I hear it's pretty populated and free.  I might check it out.

www.kronos-wow.com

I hate you. There went my weekend. =P

Fortunately, despite finding I still enjoy the game to some extent, I still have zero interest in the raid grinding kind of stuff. Call me a masochist, but I always kinda liked solo grinding reputation, questing, crafting, etc. Scratches the same itch of idle entertainment as angry birds or other such games. Might goof around with pvp a bit too if my interest holds long enough. Arathi Basin is still among my favorite pvp experiences in all of gaming.

Also, I discovered this server is much more populated, if that kind of thing matters to you:

https://elysium-project.org/

I actually started to feel the guilt of playing an un-approved Blizzard server, regardless of having paid for the original game years ago.

My friends and I decided to resub to WoW, but I haven't purchased Legion yet.  I paid the $15 for the month, and it automatically updated my account to the latest expansion previous (Warlords of Draenor).

So, I'll play the real game for a while on my $15, and if manage to maintain interest past 30 days, it'll be worth another $15.  Will I pick up Legion for $40-50?  Probably not, but who knows.  I guess it really depends on how into it my friends get.  I mainly play for the social aspect of running dungeons/quests and chatting with friends that live 1-2hrs drive from me.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: March 06, 2017, 12:12:59 PM »
Legion is great in that it matches your gameplay no matter what you like to do. 

Like questing?  Instead of repetitive daily quests, you get world quests throughout the new zones. 

Like raiding but don't want to grind or learn strategies.  Do LFR.

Like dungeons?  They have a new progressive dungeon system based on doing increasingly harder dungeons under a time limit. 

Like Fishing?  FISHING ARTIFACT POLE!

I just read about Torment.  That interests me - I loved Planescape Torment back in the day. 

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #804 on: March 06, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »

If any of you are playing, or want to start playing, I'm on Tichondrius (or something similar).  It's pretty good population.  I'm only level 21, so you can probably catch me pretty quick if you want to play together!
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” - Dalai Lama

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #805 on: March 06, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »

If any of you are playing, or want to start playing, I'm on Tichondrius (or something similar).  It's pretty good population.  I'm only level 21, so you can probably catch me pretty quick if you want to play together!

We'll see how my interest holds. I may resub and if so happy to game with fellow forum members. That said, the vanilla experience is really what specifically appealed to me. If I could get that through a paid sub, I would do it, but there's no official option that gives exactly that feel (especially given an entire playerbase that also wants that feel and not just to race past those zones to the end game content).

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: March 06, 2017, 02:11:55 PM »
We'll see how my interest holds. I may resub and if so happy to game with fellow forum members. That said, the vanilla experience is really what specifically appealed to me. If I could get that through a paid sub, I would do it, but there's no official option that gives exactly that feel (especially given an entire playerbase that also wants that feel and not just to race past those zones to the end game content).

I can definitely understand that.  I'm enjoying taking my time, and doing new quests that have been added since my last play through.

Send me a PM if you ever decide to jump back in to the full client!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: March 06, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
I have a 110 guardian druid in legion (Silverhand) at ilvl 882 or something.  I haven't logged on in a couple of weeks but played the game heavily from around October to January.

Vanilla sounds interesting.   I played WoW in 2004 even in beta and really remember the vanilla experience fondly.  I wonder if it would be fun to go back and try it. 

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: March 06, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
Benefit of the switch: tornado warning? Just undock and head to the basement. No game interruption needed.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #809 on: March 06, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »
Just got off the Plateau in BotW. This game is huge. And beautiful. Headed south instead of toward the village the old man pointed out. Stumbled on a clearing of wild horses, goats, and birds. Managed to tame a horse before getting my ass handed to me by mounted bad guys.

I definitely prefer the pro controller, but it plays great as a portable. Fun to be gaming again.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: March 06, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
The Zelda game is really good. I don't think there is anything about the switch that makes the play different than the Wii u, if you already own that.
Since Mario Kart sounds like it will just be Wii U tracks, they aren't doing a lot to really differentiate the switch.

It's not $500 to play. We just have console plus game. That's $350.

It's also heavily recommended to get the pro controller which is $70. Ouch. $300 + $70 + $60. You're at $430 plus tax. Call it $450. It's just too much for me, although my opinion might be different if I didn't have a WiiU

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: March 07, 2017, 06:15:45 AM »
I have a 110 guardian druid in legion (Silverhand) at ilvl 882 or something.  I haven't logged on in a couple of weeks but played the game heavily from around October to January.

Vanilla sounds interesting.   I played WoW in 2004 even in beta and really remember the vanilla experience fondly.  I wonder if it would be fun to go back and try it.

If you get the urge, start a toon on Tichondrius and we can do some questing or dungeons.  I'm lvl 21 Goblin Warrior named Gumbythumbs :)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #812 on: March 07, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »
The Zelda game is really good. I don't think there is anything about the switch that makes the play different than the Wii u, if you already own that.
Since Mario Kart sounds like it will just be Wii U tracks, they aren't doing a lot to really differentiate the switch.

It's also heavily recommended to get the pro controller which is $70. Ouch. $300 + $70 + $60. You're at $430 plus tax. Call it $450. It's just too much for me, although my opinion might be different if I didn't have a WiiU

The pro-controller might be nicer, but we've had zero problems playing with the joycon.  DH did say he liked the controls better docked than when he moved to portable. I haven't tried it portable. Hedonistic adaptation? If we just don't get the pro-controller we won't know what we are missing :)  The joy-con certainly hasn't been frustrating or anything.
I also saved some since I walked into Target and picked the console up on release date and decided to get a RedCard (5% off) and getting the game on presale on amazon (20% off).

But yeah, if you have a Wii U- there isn't a ton of reason to go for it.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #813 on: March 07, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »

The pro-controller might be nicer, but we've had zero problems playing with the joycon.  DH did say he liked the controls better docked than when he moved to portable. I haven't tried it portable. Hedonistic adaptation? If we just don't get the pro-controller we won't know what we are missing :)  The joy-con certainly hasn't been frustrating or anything.

I prefer the pro controller but have no issues with the joycons in the grip. I did find that my right thumb cramped up a bit while playing in portable mode last night.

I guess Zelda must suck a lot of power? I was playing it in portable mode with the system "charging" through my Macbook, but the charge ticked down, not up. I guess it only drains more slowly while plugged in?

Snipperclips is fun.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #814 on: March 07, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

I prefer the pro controller but have no issues with the joycons in the grip. I did find that my right thumb cramped up a bit while playing in portable mode last night.

I guess Zelda must suck a lot of power? I was playing it in portable mode with the system "charging" through my Macbook, but the charge ticked down, not up. I guess it only drains more slowly while plugged in?

Snipperclips is fun.

I haven't noticed a power problem, but we play docked most of the time. We were downstairs for 2 hours during a tornado warning and I don't know what the battery did, but it didn't run out at least.

We downloaded snipperclips demo but haven't played yet- I'll have to get DH away from Zelda to be able to try it. It looked silly, but glad to hear it could be fun.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #815 on: March 07, 2017, 09:44:55 AM »
Just thought I'd finally update with where I'm at.

I finally beat Mirror's Edge (PS3).  I literally had about 30 minutes left to play and just hadn't gotten back to it in about a year but now that's complete.

I'm working on going through my catalog of games that I never finished and getting them out of the way.  I have the following in my queue:
- Sly Cooper 3
- Ni No Kuni
- God of War
- Limbo

I literally don't need to buy games for a couple more years due to the extensive library that I've accumulated already (both bought and free pick-ups).

I beat both Sly Cooper 3 and Ni No Kuni last week.  I still have a few games left to play on this console as well as too many Steam games to count.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »

I also saved some since I walked into Target and picked the console up on release date and decided to get a RedCard (5% off) and getting the game on presale on amazon (20% off).

But yeah, if you have a Wii U- there isn't a ton of reason to go for it.

Ok, good to know. Thanks! I'll stick to Zelda on the WiiU.
When the next Monster Hunter game comes out for Switch, then I'll have an easy reason to purchase one. This won't be until next year at least.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #817 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
I love that I can play the switch on the TV (we only have one), pop it into portable mode when my wife wants to watch a movie, and then carry it upstairs and play a little more before bed.

I haven't had any problems with the joycons or the dock (knock on wood). And I've seen much better battery life by putting the system in airplane mode. I'm looking forward to taking this thing on a trip. Going to try out Snipperclips on an airplane next week.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: March 10, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Anyone play Puerto Rico or Power Grid or Imperial on BrettspielWelt?

Up for a game?  I am Jfet on there.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #819 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
Just picked up Far Cry 4 today. Cheap. Got to be worth the few dollars I paid for it. Really like #3, and this seemed to be at least as good, though the opening seems a bit forced.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #820 on: March 10, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »
Just picked up Far Cry 4 today. Cheap. Got to be worth the few dollars I paid for it. Really like #3, and this seemed to be at least as good, though the opening seems a bit forced.

The story is a bit weaker but the overall gameplay is better than Far Cry 3.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #821 on: March 11, 2017, 04:23:08 AM »

That was kind of my impression in the half-hour I spent on it yesterday. Should be worth the $8 I spent on it, I guess.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

farmecologist

• Stubble
« Reply #822 on: March 11, 2017, 11:57:37 AM »

I love the far cry games.  The mini-choppers in FarCry 4 are great.  I also love the dynamic fire!

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #823 on: March 12, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »

If you get the urge, start a toon on Tichondrius and we can do some questing or dungeons.  I'm lvl 21 Goblin Warrior named Gumbythumbs :)

I think we can now play with friends that aren't on our server ? If so, I'm leveling up one toon in each faction so If you ever need help with your goblin feel free to ask :). I have a priest lvl 82 and a 100 sham on horde.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: March 13, 2017, 06:20:54 AM »

I think we can now play with friends that aren't on our server ? If so, I'm leveling up one toon in each faction so If you ever need help with your goblin feel free to ask :). I have a priest lvl 82 and a 100 sham on horde.

Oh, that'd be fun!

I have the Goblin Warrior at 37, but started an Orc Monk this weekend to try healing as Monk.  He's currently level 22.  I'm really enjoying it, and will probably stick to the Monk.  Name of the Monk is Gravitythief if you want to add him.

If/when I buy Legion, I'll have a free 100, but will likely use it on a BE Paladin, since that's what I had on my previous account.  I don't like the idea of instant leveling a character to 100 that I have no experience with.  I'd rather play it up and learn it well, so it'll be a few weeks until I get the Monk high enough to team with you.

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #825 on: March 13, 2017, 10:04:07 AM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn is a really fun game. It beautifully blends open world RPG elements with stealth and combat. So far it has enough action to not get boring like witcher 3 did. We will see if that is the case as the game continues.
“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”

Yvon Chouinard

Fred2004

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #826 on: March 13, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »
if your looking for a super frustrating game.  check out Trials Fusion.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #827 on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn is a really fun game.
That game looks awesome! Pity it's a PS4-only title :(

farmecologist

• Stubble
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2017, 12:47:02 PM »
Started playing Fallout 4 again...I got burned out on it a while back and never finished the main story or did any of the DLC.

If you play any of the DLCs..play Far Harbor.   They elaborate on some of the factions that didn't get nearly enough time in the original game..namely the "children of the atom".  Very moody and atmospheric too.  Make sure your character is fairly high level though..the enemies seem to be leveled much higher than in the base game.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:39:36 AM by farmecologist »

lemonlyman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #829 on: March 15, 2017, 05:58:17 AM »
I'm also playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. I don't imagine I'll play much else this year after I beat it because the game play and story are so satisfying. I didn't play much after The Last of Us either. When a game is so good, nothing else seems that interesting for a while.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #830 on: March 15, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »
I'm also playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. I don't imagine I'll play much else this year after I beat it because the game play and story are so satisfying. I didn't play much after The Last of Us either. When a game is so good, nothing else seems that interesting for a while.

It's that good? I was considering getting a copy.

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #831 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
Horizon is a really fun game. What I like is that there isn't as much "busywork" like in other RPGs I have played, mainly Witcher 3. There is a good mixture of stealth, combat, and action that makes in fun and engaging. I also like the story of a tribal people that exist far after we have died out, only leaving our machines behind. The people in the world of Horizon seem to not know where these machines came from, only that they must fight against them. There's more to it, but I don't want to spoil anything.

It will be GOTY I think. 
“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”

Yvon Chouinard

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #832 on: March 15, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
I picked up Blueprint Tycoon during a Steam sale - forget how much I paid then, but it's $3 now. Definitely worth $3! I played for quite a few hours yesterday (hello snow day!) and will be playing some more later. It starts of simple, almost too easy, but all of a sudden you have dozens of moving parts to watch. You have to manage supply and demand, figure out the best spots for resources, make sure your transportation working (remembering to create all chains of the routes is the key). The graphics are super simplistic but cute. Tons of fun!

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #833 on: March 16, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Started playing Fallout 4 again...I got burned out on it a while back and never finished the main story or did any of the DLC.

If you play any of the DLCs..play Far Harbor.   They elaborate on some of the factions that didn't get nearly enough time in the original game..namely the "children of the atom".  Very moody and atmospheric too.  Make sure your character is fairly high level though..the enemies seem to be leveled much higher than in the base game.

I got burnt out on the DLC, I may have to go back and play some more. I think I was 1/2 through Far Harbor
Co-Founder of The Gamer's Lounge. We have a podcast! 

GrumpyPenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #834 on: March 28, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
Last weekend I got to play a number of HTC Vive games over at a friends place.  Wow... I really really want to get one now.  It was amazing.  I'm so torn... the price is just a bit too high to make it an easy buy, and you just know that the next version to come out should dramatically improve resolution/latency/maybe wireless... but dang, it was so awesome.

Anyone here get one and think it was worthwhile?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: March 28, 2017, 02:06:43 PM »
Anyone thinking of getting Persona 5? I've never played any in the series, but I have some friends who are crazy over those games.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #836 on: March 28, 2017, 02:20:48 PM »
Curious if I'm the only one:

I can't seem to justify buying any more games for at least the next few years.  Between the games I've accumulated in sales over the past few years as well as offers for free (older) games that come up on steam/origin/slickdeals I won't have time to play all of them.  This doesn't even include free indie games.

I honestly haven't even gone through that many last gen games.  I don't think I'll ever get to the current gen ones.
<|>

I, sw1tch, will become a millionaire!
Fired on 9/8/2017

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #837 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:51 PM »

I can't seem to justify buying any more games for at least the next few years.  Between the games I've accumulated in sales over the past few years as well as offers for free (older) games that come up on steam/origin/slickdeals I won't have time to play all of them.  This doesn't even include free indie games.

I honestly haven't even gone through that many last gen games.  I don't think I'll ever get to the current gen ones.

Agreed. The amount of play time I've gotten out of just 2 games far exceeds what I'd be able play on for a brand new game.

I've also realized I'm in a "phase" where I can't justify playing any games, at all. This has been going on for the past 5 weeks. A little strange and almost worrisome, so much of my nostalgic feels are wrapped around gaming. Anyone else hit these phases?

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #838 on: March 28, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »

I've gotten to the point where almost all games get added to price watches and not bought till they drop below $20. It means I can't play them right away, but I have a backlog so unless it is something I simply feel like I want to play immediately it can wait. I could get them every cheaper getting them used, but I do like feeling like at least some of my money is going to support the developers of games I love even if it isn't the amount that would if I bought them right at release. I just can't justify spending $60 on almost any game when I have a backlog that is growing.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: March 28, 2017, 03:11:27 PM »
I've also realized I'm in a "phase" where I can't justify playing any games, at all. This has been going on for the past 5 weeks. A little strange and almost worrisome, so much of my nostalgic feels are wrapped around gaming. Anyone else hit these phases?

I definitely have phases.  I think it's cyclical.

I play a game super passionately for several months, then just drop everything completely for a month or so, then I pick up a few games for a few weeks each.  Then, I slow down on the odd games, and start to look for a serious game.  Then I find that game and dive in.  Repeat.

Currently about 1 month into the high-frequency portion of the cycle.  Got back into WoW.  I hadn't played it since 2009, so there is so much content to catch up on.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #840 on: March 29, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »

I definitely have phases.  I think it's cyclical.

Yup. I'll do this with specific games and video games in general.

I'm also bummed... I just bought a Steam Link on ebay, thinking I could just hook it up and play with my wireless 360 controller. After a good hour of pulling my hair out trying to make it work, I discovered it doesn't just magically work with the 360 controller (which, in retrospect, makes sense). I either need an adapter, a wired controller, or the Steam controller, which I'm finding are all about the same price, which is still more money than I wanted to spend. Sigh... do your research before you buy, kids.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #841 on: March 29, 2017, 09:19:56 AM »
I'm wrapping up Shadows of Mordor - it's getting repetitive now, but it was well worth the $4 I paid.

ElGrillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #842 on: March 29, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
I'm wrapping up Shadows of Mordor - it's getting repetitive now, but it was well worth the $4 I paid.

I loved that game, but yeah it does get repetitive. I never beat the whole thing, but there are other story lines aside from the main one, so I might go back to it sometime

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: March 30, 2017, 06:37:51 AM »
I'm somewhat considering picking up a PS4 this weekend... they'll be on sale for $290 Canadian, no tax, for the 500Gb version.

I'm mostly into RPGs. I'd probably pick up Final Fantasy XV and perhaps XIV; then the VII remake when it comes out. Are there lots of other good RPGs to get (also noting that I skipped the PS3, so any PS3 games I can get through the online store... Ni No Kuni perhaps?).

Do you have to buy the bullshit subscription to just use the thing? I'm not into that at all.
Lending Loop - Peer to Peer Lending for Canadians - $25 sign up bonus

My current yield is about 13%, but who knows. Loans do go bad. Caveat Emptor and all that.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: March 30, 2017, 07:32:50 AM »
I'm somewhat considering picking up a PS4 this weekend... they'll be on sale for $290 Canadian, no tax, for the 500Gb version.

I'm mostly into RPGs. I'd probably pick up Final Fantasy XV and perhaps XIV; then the VII remake when it comes out. Are there lots of other good RPGs to get (also noting that I skipped the PS3, so any PS3 games I can get through the online store... Ni No Kuni perhaps?).

Do you have to buy the bullshit subscription to just use the thing? I'm not into that at all.

I bought a PS4 Slim last year when they went on sale. I primarily bought it for playing JRPGs.

Games I've played so far:
  • Uncharted 4 - Bundled with the console. I enjoyed it a lot, though the protagonist sure murders a lot (430 kill count in my play through)...
  • Disgaea 5 - Excellent quirky strategy RPG. I've played Disgaea 4 and D2 so it was exactly what I expected.
  • Final Fantasy XV - Big disappointment. Pretty game with nice animations, but the story was bland and I had a lot of user control complaints. I haven't finished it yet, but I'll probably go back eventually.
  • Atelier Sophie - A little more bland than previous Atelier games (I've played the Arland trilogy), but still entertaining and relaxing.
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII - Surprisingly good. I've played the previous three main games and was expecting more jokes to be reused. Lots of video game references and fourth wall breaking. This is certainly not a game for everyone.

I plan on getting Tales of Berseria. I've played a few other Tales games (Vesperia, Graces f, Xillia/Xillia 2) and have really enjoyed them. I'll probably also pick up Persona 5 (though I've never played one before) and Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (remastered). The HD remaster of Final Fantasy X/X-2 is also available on the PS4, though I already have it on the PS3. I highly recommend picking that up.

My wife has also started playing Valkyria Chronicles Remastered. It looks good, but she isn't far enough into it for me to properly evaluate yet.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: March 30, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »

Lots of good RPGs on the PS4, with more coming. Horizon Zero Dawn was well received, Persona 5 is coming out (you don't have to play the other Persona games to know what's going on), Kingdom Hearts coming, Ni No Kuni is great.

You only need to buy a subscription if you're going to be playing online.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: March 30, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

Lots of good RPGs on the PS4, with more coming. Horizon Zero Dawn was well received, Persona 5 is coming out (you don't have to play the other Persona games to know what's going on), Kingdom Hearts coming, Ni No Kuni is great.

You only need to buy a subscription if you're going to be playing online.

Thanks. I got a certain way through Persona 3 on the PSP, and less far through P4 on the PS2 (?). Not quite my cup of tea.

Can you get a decent version of Final Fantasy Tactics WotL? I know the PSP version had framerate issues. I still love the original, which I occasionaly replay on emulator.
Lending Loop - Peer to Peer Lending for Canadians - $25 sign up bonus

My current yield is about 13%, but who knows. Loans do go bad. Caveat Emptor and all that.

jalich

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #847 on: March 30, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
Anyone here get one

Yes! They are mind blowingly awesome. The sense of immersion is hard to describe to someone who hasn't tried it. You are THERE in-game.

and think it was worthwhile?

No! The experiences that I've tried have not had much replay value. Before you toss cash at one, go back to your friend's place and try the same games again. The novelty factor is high. The replay factor is low. Your mileage may vary.

If they were $150, it would be worth it. However, they are much more than that. If you aren't rocking a GTX1070 or better, you'll want a better video card as well.

I can see them having a large impact on visual based businesses... I have walked around "inside" of Sketchup drawings of a house that I designed. There's no comparison of how much better the visualization is inside of VR. I immediately changed the size of a few rooms, and validated a few lingering questions I had about ceiling height and spacings. That's very powerful to be able to do this before you have even lifted a hammer. If I were an architect I would be all over this. The difference between seeing it on a set of plans and then seeing it in VR is as big as the difference between 2-D and 3-D games.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #848 on: March 30, 2017, 11:32:12 AM »
Anyone here get one

Yes! They are mind blowingly awesome. The sense of immersion is hard to describe to someone who hasn't tried it. You are THERE in-game.

and think it was worthwhile?

No! The experiences that I've tried have not had much replay value. Before you toss cash at one, go back to your friend's place and try the same games again. The novelty factor is high. The replay factor is low. Your mileage may vary.

If they were $150, it would be worth it. However, they are much more than that. If you aren't rocking a GTX1070 or better, you'll want a better video card as well.

I can see them having a large impact on visual based businesses... I have walked around "inside" of Sketchup drawings of a house that I designed. There's no comparison of how much better the visualization is inside of VR. I immediately changed the size of a few rooms, and validated a few lingering questions I had about ceiling height and spacings. That's very powerful to be able to do this before you have even lifted a hammer. If I were an architect I would be all over this. The difference between seeing it on a set of plans and then seeing it in VR is as big as the difference between 2-D and 3-D games.

I got the PSVR and have loved it, the feeling of immersion is completely different. It is however not fully worked out yet. There are of course the minor things such as improving the fidelity both in output of the machines running the VR.

Since 2 viewpoints have to be generated the actual amount of detail you can put out on the same machine in both non-VR and VR are vastly different. Even more so you can get away with 30fps in non-VR, yet VR really needs 90fps or more to not make it very uncomfortable and this again requires you scale back the detail in what your machine can display. An example with PSVR is that though non-VR games on PS4 look much better than PS3 when the effort is put in to get the most out of it, however VR games have trouble even matching PS3 levels of visual detail. Also 1080p when on the TV on your wall from a distance looks very crisp, but when strapped directly to your face this is nowhere near as sharp. These are just the visual aspects that definitely could use some maturing.

There are also things such as that moving around in a virtual world is still not completely figured out without most people getting sick and not using a massive and expensive rig such as the  Virtuix Omni or the HTC Vive Roomscale setup.

Another thing that could immensely improve immersion is more accurate body tracking, being able to track your fingers instead of having to use a controller would be a massive improvement in immersion and the same for accurately tracking the rest of the body. If a machine could be built that works similar to Kinect, but is able to use much higher resolution cameras and track your full body and all joints involved this could be a game changer in that respect. However doing so at this time though feasible technically I believe is still a ways off where it would be affordable enough to be potential consumer tech.

Another thing thing that I think will be necessary in the end is to have some kind of standard for VR. Different VR headset should in the end be no different than different TV models. You should be able to switch to a different VR headset and still play your games/software that worked with the previous set so long as they both meet the minimums required by the standards set. There might be a difference in resolution, more accurate tracking etc and more, but they should be able to support the majority of software with minimal work on the consumer end.

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #849 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
Finally FINALLY finished FFXV this past weekend, and no spoilers, but I spent the next three days crying after the ending.   I'm still tearing up when I think about certain scenes and listen to some songs.  There were a lot of things (A LOT of things)  about that game that, if I were the director with unlimited resources, I would have changed or tweaked, but there's no denying the emotional impact of the game and its characters, that's for sure.

I kind of want to play something fun and funny to lift up my spirits now... any recommendations for someone with a gaming PC, PS2, PS3, and PS4?