Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 979486 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4750 on: September 25, 2023, 08:56:33 PM »
Poaching chicken now which will go into the veggie soup I made a couple of nights ago.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4751 on: September 26, 2023, 10:14:35 AM »
I made lasagna roll ups last night and they were so good! Put 8 noodles in very hot water and let sit till just flexible and while waiting for that made a filling of 15 oz ricotta, 10 oz frozen/defrosted spinach (drained well), one egg, 1/2 C. mozzarella, 1/2 C. parm, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder. Laid out noodles on parchment paper, placed equal amounts on all noodles and spread it from end to end on the noodles. Then rolled each one up. Placed seam side down in a 9x13" casserole with sauce on the bottom. Placed more sauce over the roll ups and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese. Put foil over the top of casserole. Instructions said bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees, then remove foil for 5 more minutes. For some reason this took close to an hour. So if you make this, use your own judgement on cook time. I also sliced up some yellow bell peppers and a 4 ounce can of mushrooms in the bottom with the sauce. The hub made meat balls we had on the side. Really tasty! Tonight will be leftovers!

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4752 on: September 26, 2023, 12:34:18 PM »
Quail in a soy/hoisin/crushed red chile flake/minced garlic/sugar marinade.  Will have jasmine rice with tons of veggies to go with it.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4753 on: September 26, 2023, 03:54:40 PM »
Borek, oven roasted potatoes, red lentil patties, and tomato/cucumber/red onion salad  (it's leftover night/clean out the fridge night, but it looks like a mezze spread!)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4754 on: September 26, 2023, 07:41:06 PM »
Potato and leek pizza--I splurged and bought a nice cheese (gruyere). Not very mustachian but hey at least we are eating at home!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4755 on: September 27, 2023, 09:38:26 AM »
@Serendip, potato leek and gruyere pizza sounds amazing! Can you share your recipe???

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4756 on: September 27, 2023, 11:27:33 AM »
Salmon and orzo salad. I bought salmon filets, cooked them until tender and flaked them with a fork. I mixed the salmon with cooked orzo, peas, steamed broccoli, parmesan cheese and a splash of lemon. Delicious!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4757 on: September 28, 2023, 05:53:58 PM »
It's our actual anniversary tonight. We were going to go out (MrInCO's idea, I was "meh" about it) but events came up, so I swung over to the farm stand with the life-chantingly awesome corn and bought enough to gorge ourself on, and defrosted a piece of filet mignon from the half steer we purchased last year. And am cooking an "Italian" recipe for cooked potato cubes in a ton of garlic with olive oil and greens. And fresh green beans. And garden tomato salad, with fresh basil.   Dessert will be poached peaches, sprinkled with amaretto, with chocolate ice cream.

With ingredients like these available, it's hard to find reasons to go out!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4758 on: September 29, 2023, 03:15:51 AM »
@jeninco- that sounds amazing.  Especially the peaches!!

DH has requested beef stew for tonight since the weather has been cold and blustery for a solid week.  I will make that and split pea with barley soup for the non-meat eating contingent...oh and delicious baguettes, because you can't have soup with bread to dip into it!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4759 on: September 29, 2023, 11:05:51 AM »
@jeninco- that sounds amazing.  Especially the peaches!!

DH has requested beef stew for tonight since the weather has been cold and blustery for a solid week.  I will make that and split pea with barley soup for the non-meat eating contingent...oh and delicious baguettes, because you can't have soup with bread to dip into it!

Yum, fresh baguettes make everything much more wonderful!

(Ironically, I poached the peaches a few days ago, because they were starting to spoil on the counter. So all I had to do was peel the halves, sprinkle them with a bit of amaretto, and add a scoop of ice cream upon serving!)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4760 on: September 30, 2023, 06:55:28 AM »
My Mom used to make a salmon loaf years ago and it was always so good. I think back then it was a cheap meal but I bought some canned salmon and it isn't all that cheap! I will try to replicate her salmon loaf but I don't have the recipe. I found a recipe I will use and hope it is as good as hers was. This is the recipe I found:

16 ounce canned salmon (Cans now are 14.75 ounces)
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup onion
1 tsp dill weed
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Oven 375 degrees
Pour salmon meat in bowl, remove bones and skin if desired. Some people leave them in.
Mix in rest of ingredients.
Shape into a loaf.
Place on a greased baking sheet.
Bake 40-50 minutes till brown and internal temp is at least 165 degrees.
Cool for 5 minutes.
Slice and serve with sliced lemon.

I will probably double the recipe.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4761 on: October 01, 2023, 04:09:12 PM »
Not for tonight, but for the workweek: red beans and rice done right. Dried beans, onion, peppers from the garden, garlic, spices, turkey sausage. Made a full pound of beans (with more than a pound of aromatics), a pound of brown rice, and a pan of cornbread. We should eat well.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4762 on: October 01, 2023, 06:30:48 PM »
@Serendip, potato leek and gruyere pizza sounds amazing! Can you share your recipe???

I used this one (but loosely as I tend to change measurements depending on what I have around).

I loved it even better the next day, cold pizza is one of my favourite leftovers :)
https://www.cookforyourlife.org/recipes/potato-leek-gruyere-pizza/

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4763 on: October 01, 2023, 08:18:23 PM »
Tonight feels like we have been plunged back into winter so I'm roasting some vegetables (pumpkin, carrot & NZ yams), sauteeing kale and we'll have that with leftover roast beef and horseradish.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4764 on: October 01, 2023, 11:09:00 PM »
Last night I made lamb chops in a garlic, cumin and fennel marinade, served with radishes and baby bok choy and a radish leaf chimichurri.  Yes, it was delicious.  (Found a new cookbook on sale, my favorite).

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4765 on: October 02, 2023, 03:28:36 AM »
thanks, @Serendip-- I will try it soon!

Tonight is recipe I found on Cook's Illustrated for pasta with pureed red lentils and goat cheese sauce.  Hopefully it will be as tasty as the picture on the magazine looks.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4766 on: October 05, 2023, 07:28:26 PM »
Spicy pomodoro with chickpea and kale (and a toasted baguette). So simple and tasty.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4767 on: October 05, 2023, 09:07:15 PM »
I'm feeling optimistic that autumn will arrive eventually, so I made a batch of broccoli-cauliflower-carrot cheddar soup tonight. I live alone so it will last a few days.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #4768 on: October 06, 2023, 07:08:41 AM »
Made a very simple and delicious pasta yesterday. Cook 8 oz pasta and drain, reserving some of the water, and return the pasta to the pot over medium-low heat. Add a 4 oz log of goat cheese (Trader Joe has affordable goat cheese in 8 or 10 oz logs that is exactly the same as any other, more expensive fresh goat cheese) and a bunch of spinach, roughly chopped. Stir until the spinach is wilted, adding a bit of pasta water for a creamier sauce. Eat.

Another variant of this that's even better if you can get really good cherry tomatoes: instead of spinach, halve a pint (or more) of cherry tomatoes and toss them with the pasta and goat cheese (no need to heat the pot for this; unlike spinach, you don't want the tomatoes to "wilt", but to remain pretty intact). Stir in some chopped fresh basil at the end. That dish is truly divine with Sungold or other "sugar bomb" cherry tomatoes.

These work well with larger pasta shapes like large shells or rotini.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4769 on: October 06, 2023, 03:14:47 PM »
it's a leftovers smorgasbord kind of night....pasta with red lentils and cannelini beans, israeli couscous, roasted vegetables and spicy faux chicken nuggets.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4770 on: October 06, 2023, 09:46:39 PM »
Chips and melted cheese with bean dip!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4771 on: October 08, 2023, 12:52:00 PM »
We are making a tiny thanksgiving for two.
Roasted chicken, homegrown potatoes & squash, tomato & basil salad.
And pumpkin pie :)

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4772 on: October 08, 2023, 04:29:49 PM »
Scratch made potato and cheddar pierogies with caramelized onions

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4773 on: October 08, 2023, 05:21:34 PM »
Had dental surgery so it's all soft food for me till everything heals.  I am doing a combo of cream of broccoli soup, seared paté and reheated (soft) white rice.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4774 on: October 08, 2023, 08:25:54 PM »
Local caught albacore tuna, seared for 1 minute per side, air fryer brussel sprouts and green beans from the garden.
For dessert, spaghetti squash, also from the garden, with maple sugar, slivered almonds, and whipped cream.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4775 on: October 09, 2023, 12:00:41 AM »
We did lunchtime hosting so dinner was leftover chicken with leftover potato hash (different meals); potato chips and a lovely crisp pear for vitamins. And some hummus & cucumber/carrot from lunch. I'm always super pleased how on the same page with Meal Effort we can be.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4776 on: October 16, 2023, 12:51:09 PM »
bulgur with apples, red onion, raisins and toasted almonds and will serve with some panfried cabbage.  Not the most exciting dinner, but continuing to work through the pantry staples.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4777 on: October 17, 2023, 07:57:46 PM »
Pizza with homemade pesto, cherry tomatoes from the patio and fresh basil. Simple but delicious.

Verdure

• Stubble
« Reply #4778 on: October 17, 2023, 08:31:05 PM »
Pizza with homemade pesto, cherry tomatoes from the patio and fresh basil. Simple but delicious.

I just made some homemade pesto also, as I wanted to make sure to use up our patio basil before we get a frost here. I made a delicious pasta salad with it and am planning to use some for pizza, too!

Tonight I made enchiladas with spinach, white beans, and green chile salsa.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4779 on: October 18, 2023, 04:19:47 AM »
We pulled out a corned beef out of the freezer we got back during St. Patrick day sales on corned beef. We had it for dinner two nights ago and last night put it on grinder rolls with swiss cheese and sauerkraut. Yummy! Made a tuna macaroni salad too. Love me a corned beef sammie!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4780 on: October 18, 2023, 07:30:58 AM »

This sounds pretty awesome!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4781 on: October 20, 2023, 11:40:29 AM »
butternut squash/carrot/pumpkin soup and baguette..

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4782 on: October 22, 2023, 08:05:11 PM »
It's been a bit of a week, and I was trying to use up a combo of stuff hiding in the back of the fridge, random items DH purchased last weekend, and prioritize using the softest veggies from my mid-week shopping trip. So what we had was pasta (one of the flower shops, maybe Campanella?) which went into a sauce that was:
take a huge skillet, sauté an onion in a reasonable amount of olive oil. Also chop up and toss in that last sad slice of rosemary ham from lunchmeat that was purchased a bit ago. Add a few slices worth of diced spicy salami. Cook a bit, add some garlic. Cook a bit, add asparagus, woody ends first, then middles, then tops along with some halved cherry tomatoes.
When the pasta is done, add a ladleful or two of the pasta water to the skillet, then drain and add the remaining pasta. Cook a bit, to cook down some of the liquid. Add the sad last third of the ricotta that was in the back of the fridge. Cook down a little more and stir through, then dump in a bowl. Take that burrata that you found in the fridge, put it on top, and cut it into quarters, allowing the lovely filling to drizzle into everything.

birdie55

• Stubble
« Reply #4783 on: October 22, 2023, 11:24:11 PM »
We had rain today, in California.  Unusual for October, but very appreciated.

I made split pea soup with ham and corned bread for dinner.  Comfort food, but healthy and warming.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4784 on: October 22, 2023, 11:42:52 PM »
Curry-spices cauliflower steaks, crispy chickpeas, hummus I made this morning and garlic yogurt in pita breads

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4785 on: October 23, 2023, 07:44:59 AM »
Broccoli cheddar soup and roasted cauliflower with Indian spices as an appetizer.

Then I was hankering for something warm for dessert so I made vanilla pudding custard (3 cups milk, 3 egg yolks, 3 T cornstarch, 1/2 c sugar (3/4 if you like it sweeter), 1 T butter, and 1 t vanilla. Whisk the yolks smooth, add a bit of milk to the cornstarch to make a slurry, heat the milk almost to boiling, temper the eggs (add some of the hot milk and whisk to not scramble the eggs then add them to the pan), add all but the butter/vanilla to the pot. Whisk until thickened over medium heat. Once thickened, add butter and vanilla. Cheap and yummy! 6 servings

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4786 on: October 23, 2023, 09:08:07 AM »
Curry-spices cauliflower steaks, crispy chickpeas, hummus I made this morning and garlic yogurt in pita breads

That sounds absolutely delicious, and I have a cauliflower in the fridge...

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4787 on: October 23, 2023, 12:50:43 PM »

Rough guide: preheat your oven 200c/180c fan. chop your cauliflower into florets, bung it and the tender leaves into a roasting tray. Peel and cut a red onion into wedges. Drain a can of chickpeas. All into the tray. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, curry powder or a mix of cumin/chilli/coriander/turmeric. Put it in the oven for 20-30m until it’s all roasted. Squeeze some lemon over it when you take it out. It’s delicious with a tahini dressing.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4788 on: October 23, 2023, 01:32:53 PM »
Leek and potato soup with a baguette.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4789 on: October 24, 2023, 02:30:22 PM »

Rough guide: preheat your oven 200c/180c fan. chop your cauliflower into florets, bung it and the tender leaves into a roasting tray. Peel and cut a red onion into wedges. Drain a can of chickpeas. All into the tray. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, curry powder or a mix of cumin/chilli/coriander/turmeric. Put it in the oven for 20-30m until it’s all roasted. Squeeze some lemon over it when you take it out. It’s delicious with a tahini dressing.

Just instant-potted a batch of chickpeas, so this is the plan. Going to look for a pita recipe now...   Thanks!

Coming back to say this was freaking delicious! I used two sheet pans (we cooked a fair amount, and I wanted everything to have room to become crispy) and made the pita recipe from smitten kitchen. I added a tahini sauce that included a lot of parsley (all ground up with a stick blender) to add a bit of green to the meal.

Also, I love any recipes that includes the word "bung".
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 06:46:31 PM by jeninco »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4790 on: October 24, 2023, 02:52:18 PM »
I made an asparagus, leek and feta galette last night and it was great. Used this dough recipe https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/butter-free-flaky-galette-with-spicy-greens and it was very easy and didn’t require a food processor or half a pound of butter. Next time I make it, I’ll mix in some wholemeal flour.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4791 on: October 24, 2023, 03:41:29 PM »
leftovers/clean out the kitchen night:

DS will have Chicken parm flatbread pizza, DH pork chops, Butternut squash  soup for me and roasted broccoli and left over cheeses/meats/crackers etc on the table for "sides". 

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4792 on: October 24, 2023, 03:49:58 PM »
Roasted Brussel sprouts with andouille sausage and a chopped salad. I had soup for lunch, so I am still on track.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4793 on: October 25, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
Spaghetti squash with an Italian sausage, kale, and walnut filling.
Maybe a little parmesan on top

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #4794 on: October 30, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »
Not sure what I'm making for dinner tonight.  We hosted a Halloween get-together with 6 couples over the weekend.  Someone brought a large vegetable tray that they left for us.  I have snap peas, mini sweet peppers and pre-cut carrots, celery, and broccoli.  I'm thinking some sort of stir fry would be good but any other recommendations?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4795 on: October 30, 2023, 11:13:11 AM »
Pork, sauerkraut and pineapples in the crockpot served with mashed potatoes and fresh spinach.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #4796 on: October 30, 2023, 01:55:45 PM »
Not sure what I'm making for dinner tonight.  We hosted a Halloween get-together with 6 couples over the weekend.  Someone brought a large vegetable tray that they left for us.  I have snap peas, mini sweet peppers and pre-cut carrots, celery, and broccoli.  I'm thinking some sort of stir fry would be good but any other recommendations?
Vegetable soups or a veggie frittata reserving the broccoli. Turn that into broccoli cheddar soup or broccoli slaw.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4797 on: October 31, 2023, 09:47:48 AM »

Halloween Candy.... just kidding dinner will be spinach manicotti but there will be some candy consumed for sure!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4798 on: October 31, 2023, 03:30:45 PM »
Pork, sauerkraut and pineapples in the crockpot served with mashed potatoes and fresh spinach.

I am super intrigued by the pork, sauerkraut and pineapple - do you have a recipe? Or do you just throw it in a pot?

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4799 on: October 31, 2023, 04:14:22 PM »
Vegetarian stuffed peppers and roasted zucchini