Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 42781 times)

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #750 on: March 29, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
I'm going to try this Budget Bytes recipe for chicken yakisoba. I figure I can't go wrong with stir-fried noodles with cabbage and toasted sesame oil.

Last night, husband turned all of the leftover rice from Wednesday into fried rice. We ate most of it and then he took the last of it to work today. So the issue of rice poisoning from that batch, at least, is moot.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #751 on: March 29, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
Last night was Taco Thursday with company. Tonight will be burritos, using up the leftovers. Yummy and easy, yay!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: March 29, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »
Does any one have a good fish soup recipe?

Google Bouillabaisse. Typical ingredients are orange peel and fennel. We often use lobster soup as a basis. We also add saffran. The French eat this soup with the fish and crayfish prepared separately, fried. Then on your plate, you pour some soup over the fish. This way the fish is not overcooked. We also make rouille, which is nice on French bread or into the soup.

Thanks!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #753 on: March 29, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
I just seared some chicken thighs, slathered them in homemade BBQ sauce and stuck them in the oven.  I'm steaming golden beets and will toss them in the oven in a minute too.  Lastly, some collards are braising with onion, garlic and chile flakes in the Instant Pot.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #754 on: March 29, 2019, 06:00:29 PM »
I'm making Navajo fry bread tonight, and will eat it with the leftover charro beans.  Not quite Navajo tacos, but it works.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #755 on: March 30, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
I made diced sweet potato. Reasonably small cut broccoli. Reasonably small cut chicken. Two slices of bacon. All fried, added soy sauce, potato herbs and coriander powder to the vegetables. Added chili lime and some magic seasoning mix to the chicken and bacon. Then added all together and served. Tasted okay.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: March 30, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
Probably sauteed chicken, onions, and bell pepper with Mexican spices, served on corn tortillas with the last of the leftover beans from Wednesday. Maybe I'll also make a new batch of beans for lunches.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #757 on: March 30, 2019, 03:34:16 PM »
Need to cook some chicken, so I'll do something with that.  Still have quite a bit of Navajo fry bread, so should do something to eat with those.

Found a recipe for cottage cheese walnut bread, so I'm going to make a loaf of that as well.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #758 on: March 30, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
I want to use up what's left in the fridge before grocery shopping tomorrow, so it will be ham fried rice and a stirfy of random veggies for us tonight.

Thawing out a chuck roast and making pot roast tomorrow; hopefully with lots of leftovers for the week.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: March 30, 2019, 05:06:10 PM »
We spent part of the week staying at a VRBO with only a 2-burner induction cooktop, and 5 hungry people. That was interesting...
(We took cooked shredded beef, corn tortillas, shredded cheese, avocado, cabbage & carrots & vinegar for mexican slaw, and had tacos the first night. We swung by a grocery store and had rice noodles with veg and chicken in peanut sauce the second night, with cobbled-together peanut sauce. We went out for mexican the third night.)

Last night: Caldo tlalpeno, i.e. chipotle-flavored chicken-and-vegetable soup, served with cilantro, mild cheese, more chipotles, salsa, pickled red onions, and salad (the salad was not meant to go into the soup, but everything else was). Would recommend.

Tonight: Salmon, with asparagus and ... I dunno, probably rice?

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #760 on: March 30, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
^^Yum at caldo tlalpeno! I haven't made that in a while. Thanks for the inspiration!

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #761 on: March 30, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »
Our hens are laying lots of eggs so I made baked custard for dinner. Yum 😋

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #762 on: April 01, 2019, 07:22:37 AM »
Made a big aloo dal using yellow, red, and brown lentils.  I had about 1/3 a cup of each lentil type so just threw them all together.  I'm slowly getting better at simple Indian curries.  Frying mustard seeds before adding the onion, garlic, ginger, and chilis seems to make a big difference.  I love curry and I'm going to figure out how to cook it well, dammit!

Tonight I'm going to bake a chicken breast with some sweet potatoes and sautée mustard greens.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: April 03, 2019, 07:59:38 AM »
Probably sautéed Italian sausage, bell peppers, and onions over pasta. I might add a couple handfuls of chopped greens to the skillet to boost the veg/fiber content.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #764 on: April 03, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
Lamb curry and red lentil dahl.

Tomorrow I'll make soup with the leftovers from last night's roast chicken.

fuzzy math

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #765 on: April 03, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Thinking about beef enchiladas. I've been buying way too much enchilada sauce lately

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #766 on: April 03, 2019, 10:29:26 AM »
Still home alone. My attempt to make falafal last night was a bit of a fail. It didn't stay into ball shape, and not in chunk shape either. Eaten that stuff today after reheating it in the oven with a lot of garlic sauce on top, followed by a leftover freezer portion of fish soup, followed by some biscuits.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #767 on: April 03, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
Still home alone. My attempt to make falafal last night was a bit of a fail. It didn't stay into ball shape, and not in chunk shape either. Eaten that stuff today after reheating it in the oven with a lot of garlic sauce on top, followed by a leftover freezer portion of fish soup, followed by some biscuits.

I don't know what recipe you used, but I really like the one at https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/. You do have to start soaking the chickpeas the night before, however. And you'll need a food processor.

Tonight here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/04/sheet-pan-chicken-tikka/  I even have 1/3 bunch of cilantro and 1/3 bunch of parsley for decorating it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #768 on: April 03, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »

I don't know what recipe you used, but I really like the one at https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/12/falafel/. You do have to start soaking the chickpeas the night before, however. And you'll need a food processor.

I used chickpeas from a pack, no soaking required. Good idea in your recipe to use an ice scoop spoon. I used a normal spoon and I didn't use deep frying oil. I just had them in a frying pan like meatballs. Will do better next time.

35andFI

• Stubble
« Reply #769 on: April 04, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
Made pan fried asparagus with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

It was delicious and only cost $2.31 for 1.16 pounds. 

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #770 on: April 05, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
I don’t know yet if husband is visiting his friend tonight. If yes, the contents of our fridge suggest that I should sauté zucchini and mushrooms, add a can of white beans, the last of the tomato paste, and some Greek seasonings, and top the whole mess with feta.

If he’s home tonight, I suppose I could also add a can of oil-packed tuna, which would be an acceptable “meat” content for husband’s palate.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #771 on: April 05, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
I went through the chest freezer earlier this week and pulled out all the packages marked "soup bones" that I could find (we buy 1/2 steer each year, so we get a wide assortment of parts). Roasted them, left them in a (huge) crockpot overnight with water, shredded the meat, cooked down the stock, then put everything away.

Last night we had roasted brussels sprouts with part of the shredded meat mixed into tomato sauce with carrots and stuff, served over pasta, with a little shredded sharp chedder. It was OK.

Tonight, ??
We'll have salad, as that's the vegetable(s) in the fridge, and I'm thinking quesadillas, or a layered corn tortilla casserole. We have a strange mix of random leftovers to use up, as I grocery shop on Saturdays and I prefer to start with an empty fridge.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #772 on: April 05, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
I warmed up a freezer portion of long cooked meat. Warmed up some chunks of frozen spinach with some cream. Fried some mushrooms that I had dried last year. Tasted pretty well.

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #773 on: April 05, 2019, 12:02:09 PM »
made Mushroom Carbonara last night from this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3cJG44VPKU (I love Bon Appetit's youtube channel!)

It was goddamn delicious. We didn't do a great job of timing having the pasta ready to go when the mushrooms and shallots were done cooking, but even without doing so it made for a pretty quick weeknight dinner. Made about 5 servings so enough for leftovers for lunch today. If you don't like the video format, the full print recipe is here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-carbonara

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: April 05, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
I don’t know yet if husband is visiting his friend tonight. If yes, the contents of our fridge suggest that I should sauté zucchini and mushrooms, add a can of white beans, the last of the tomato paste, and some Greek seasonings, and top the whole mess with feta.

If he’s home tonight, I suppose I could also add a can of oil-packed tuna, which would be an acceptable “meat” content for husband’s palate.

Husband stayed home and tested out his birthday gift from my parents: a carbon steel wok. We had pad krapow gai (spicy chicken with basil) over jasmine rice. Yum. Seriously, he can cook dinner whenever he wants.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: April 05, 2019, 09:29:25 PM »
OtherJen, that sounds wonderful!

We wound up with sort of "clean-out-the-fridge" chef's salads with oven fries, as we turned out to have plenty of salad ingredients, leftover chicken and pork, some leftover ham from lunches (I fried it), along with not-very-hard-cooked eggs. It was fine, and the fridge is now clean.

Also, I have a shopping list, so I'll go first thing tomorrow morning. Tomorrow night's dinner will probably be baja shrimp salad. (Depends on the ripeness of the on-sale avocados.)

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #776 on: April 06, 2019, 04:02:14 AM »
Work was going to be too busy to do my usual night shift cooking (I keep a cast iron skillet at work), so I just threw some chicken nuggets in the oven while I took care of some of my duties, before throwing a salad together to take care of more duties (where I would not have any kitchen access for 6 hours).  Wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst, and I got to cook up some fried potatoes, a sausage patty, and an egg later in my shift.

BudgetSlasher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #777 on: April 06, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »
Tonight is the first night all of our new kitchen appliances are in. To celebrate I am stepping out of my comfort zone and cooked green tea soba noodles with seared scollops and ahi tuna with peanut sauce (cooked sous vide and seared).

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #778 on: April 06, 2019, 04:56:07 PM »
Tonight is the first night all of our new kitchen appliances are in. To celebrate I am stepping out of my comfort zone and cooked green tea soba noodles with seared scollops and ahi tuna with peanut sauce (cooked sous vide and seared).

YUM. Congrats on the new kitchen!

Our weather is fantastic today, so I think I'll have husband grill some chicken thighs. We'll have those with the zucchini/mushroom sauté and rice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #779 on: April 07, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
made Mushroom Carbonara last night from this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3cJG44VPKU (I love Bon Appetit's youtube channel!)

It was goddamn delicious. We didn't do a great job of timing having the pasta ready to go when the mushrooms and shallots were done cooking, but even without doing so it made for a pretty quick weeknight dinner. Made about 5 servings so enough for leftovers for lunch today. If you don't like the video format, the full print recipe is here: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-carbonara

Thanks for the idea. I will try to make something similar. But with different mushrooms from my self picked stock, with different pasta shapes and with different cheese. Still hope that it will taste good.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #780 on: April 07, 2019, 08:40:40 AM »
Sourdough bread and a big pot of chili.  We'll have salad first, and planning to eat leftover chili the next couple days.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #781 on: April 07, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »
Made a turkey breast yesterday. Used the Reynolds oven cooking bags and turkey comes out perfect every time! So moist and tender.
Had some beets that I wrapped in foil and roasted them too.

Today, cut up a bunch of apples and two tiny pears and added to my slow cooker. Making apple sauce with cinnamon and a little brown sugar. Left the skins on and once apples are soft I will put it all in the Vita Mix and will blend it up so skins will be non existant!

John Galt incarnate!

• Bristles
« Reply #782 on: April 07, 2019, 12:52:55 PM »
Maybe I'll have spaghetti tonight.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: April 07, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »
Nothing exciting tonight, just soaking pinto beans to make refried beans in the instant pot for tacos/burritos.  It makes a lot, but the beans freeze well so I can do that and use the rest later.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #784 on: April 08, 2019, 06:23:55 PM »
Buffalo chicken sliders

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #785 on: April 08, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »
Spicy Italian chicken sausage, roasted potatoes, mixed greens salad w/avocado ranch dressing.  Yum and pretty cheap. 

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #786 on: April 08, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
Stuck-pot rice with lentils (we're a bit obsessed with this recipe), grilled salmon, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower (from frozen).

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #787 on: April 09, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »
Black bean and corn salad in a lime chipotle dressing, with red peppers, pickled onions, and avocados. Probably with homemade tortilla chips, out of some crappy freezer-burnt corn tortillas.

Possibly steamed artichokes -- they were an impulse purchase yesterday.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2019, 04:37:21 PM »
Frozen gluten-free pizza from Costco and side salad. We both slept really horribly last night and I wore myself out with a nature walk, so our usual dinners feel insurmountable tonight.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
Frozen gluten-free pizza from Costco and side salad. We both slept really horribly last night and I wore myself out with a nature walk, so our usual dinners feel insurmountable tonight.

That actually sounds really good as a "let's just eat dinner" fairly healthy dinner.  I can't wait until I'm not feeding hordes of starving teenagers (OK, just two, but it feels like a horde!) and we can have normal human-being suppers like that!

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »

That actually sounds really good as a "let's just eat dinner" fairly healthy dinner.  I can't wait until I'm not feeding hordes of starving teenagers (OK, just two, but it feels like a horde!) and we can have normal human-being suppers like that!

2 teenagers = at least 4 adults. And yes, this is one of our sanity-saving meals.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #791 on: April 10, 2019, 08:09:11 AM »
Having my second corned beef and cabbage with carrots, taters, onion, garlic. Always have one St. Patrick's day and then another one a month down the road. Just got it all into the crockpot. Cabbage will be put in towards the end.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: April 10, 2019, 08:19:02 AM »
Having my second corned beef and cabbage with carrots, taters, onion, garlic. Always have one St. Patrick's day and then another one a month down the road. Just got it all into the crockpot. Cabbage will be put in towards the end.

Yum. We love corned beef but never think to make it except around St. Pat's day. I really need to stock up the freezer when the corned briskets are on sale.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2019, 08:54:34 AM »
I usually buy two in March. The expiration date is pretty long so I don't freeze the second one. I don't get it why people only eat corned beef on ST. Patrick's day! It is a good crockpot easy peasy dinner! But they cost more during the rest of the year. Next year maybe I will pick up 5 and freeze three of them!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »
I have some leftover Italian chicken sausages, I'm going to make some rice and frozen mixed veggies, and use a green curry sauce I have in the fridge. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #795 on: April 10, 2019, 02:21:20 PM »
My SIL does this awesome Vietnamese noodle dish with mushrooms and egg noodles and vegetables and stuff. She's somehow very cagey when I ask her for the recipe... I think she just makes it up as she goes along. I tried to watch her closely last time she made it.  I got Maggi sauce, Vietnamese fish sauce, and the noodles.  Let's see if my industrial espionage pays off!

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #796 on: April 10, 2019, 02:39:31 PM »
My SIL does this awesome Vietnamese noodle dish with mushrooms and egg noodles and vegetables and stuff. She's somehow very cagey when I ask her for the recipe... I think she just makes it up as she goes along. I tried to watch her closely last time she made it.  I got Maggi sauce, Vietnamese fish sauce, and the noodles.  Let's see if my industrial espionage pays off!

That sounds super tasty! Report back with your findings please :D

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #797 on: April 10, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
Ugh. Dealt with roof replacement all day while trying to work at home. Dinner was Costco rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes, and broccoli/cauliflower mix (from frozen).

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: April 10, 2019, 07:18:18 PM »

That sounds super tasty! Report back with your findings please :D

It was okay, but not as good as what she does.  Unfortunately my fresh lo mein noodles (the egg ones) had gone bad so I had to dig out some dry rice noodles, like are used in pho, from the pantry. While the noodles were boiling,
I sliced oyster and shiitake mushrooms, then sauteed in oil. She also used enoki mushrooms and some other fancy wild mushrooms but I had to work with what was available at my grocery store.  Separately, I sauteed slice chicken breast (she used some processed meat that is unfamiliar to me). 

Then, I made a sauce and this is where I think I went wrong. I can't remember what liquid she used as base... maybe it should have been chicken broth, but I used a half cup of mirin cooking wine. I added splashes of soy sauce, Maggi, and fish sauce. Then I added maybe a quarter cup of sugar.  Thinking back, maybe I should have sauted ginger and green onion in the oil that I used to cook the chicken. Garlic might also have been a good idea, and bell pepper.

Anyway, I tossed all the cooked ingredients together, plus some fresh spinach leaves, warmed them slightly in the pan, and added the sauce.

It was okay but not really the same dish that she cooked. Family ate well.  It's been a few months since we had the original meal at my brother-in-law's house, so I'll have to hope she makes it again next time we see them!

@OtherJen, sometimes we just have to keep body and soul together.  You pulled through and put another hot meal on the table, and that's what matters!

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #799 on: April 11, 2019, 09:06:18 PM »
I redeemed myself by making chicken stock from the Costco chicken, and then chicken vegetable soup for dinner.