Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 64987 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #800 on: April 12, 2019, 06:10:46 AM »
Yesterday I warmed up a freezer portion of beans and lentils. Tonight I will eat a freezer portion of potato, cabbage and maybe some meat. The freezer had 2 portions of potato and cabbage left.

That will be the last day of being home alone and eating leftovers each day.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #801 on: April 12, 2019, 07:15:17 AM »
Had some leftover sardine salad and baked sweet potato, so I used an egg as a binder and made fishcakes.  They came out... okay.  I've never made fishcakes before so I probably need more practice/more ideal ingredient ratios.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #802 on: April 12, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
Yesterday we had some leftover rotisserie chicken, so I sauteed some shallots and mushrooms while cooking some pasta in the Instant Pot.  Added broccoli and shredded chicken, plus some grated parm and chile flakes.  It was a treat since we don't eat pasta very often.

Tonight will probably brats with carrots, cabbage and homemade sauerkraut.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: April 12, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »
Having stuffed peppers. I subscribe to Misfits Market organic veggie delivery and I get one big box every two weeks. I try to use up my allotment during the two weeks for two people. It is working out pretty good but I have to be diligent in using up the veggies. Right now I have two English cukes, two eggplants, 3 turnips, two butternut squash and 4 oranges, one grapefruit to use up before Tuesday. The peppers were one of the veggies in my box so now that is being used up. I will slice, bread and bake the eggplant and probably freeze. The cukes I will make a cuke, sour cream, dill, sugar, vinegar salad out of. The turnips, I will boil/mash with a tater to make a mock mashed tater side dish. Butternut squash I could bake up or make a soup. Any Butternut squash suggestions?

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #804 on: April 12, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
Frozen pizza if my husband makes his connection and can pick up the kids (we are out of frozen pizza, so I have to buy it first)

If not...I dunno.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #805 on: April 12, 2019, 12:41:19 PM »
Frozen pizza if my husband makes his connection and can pick up the kids (we are out of frozen pizza, so I have to buy it first)

If not...I dunno.

Got anything else in the pantry or fridge if pizza doesn’t pan out?

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #806 on: April 12, 2019, 12:51:45 PM »
I'll bake a whole sweet potato in the microwave, then top it with some pulled bbq chicken, raw spinache and red onions.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: April 12, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
Husband is attempting pad see ew in his new wok. Mmm, rice noodles.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #808 on: April 13, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
Potatoes cut in diced and fried. Cooked cauliflower. Chorizo burgers and fried cailiflower leaves.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal: WhiteTrashCash, Vol. 2: From Survival to Success
« Reply #809 on: April 13, 2019, 01:42:33 PM »
It's the weekend so homemade pizza night! And maybe we'll get crazy and watch some episodes of "The Flash" that we recorded on our over-the-air DVR. We just got caught up on "Black Lightning" last night, so time to move on to the next superhero show.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: April 13, 2019, 05:41:00 PM »
Taco rice.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #811 on: April 14, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
Having stuffed peppers. I subscribe to Misfits Market organic veggie delivery and I get one big box every two weeks. I try to use up my allotment during the two weeks for two people. It is working out pretty good but I have to be diligent in using up the veggies. Right now I have two English cukes, two eggplants, 3 turnips, two butternut squash and 4 oranges, one grapefruit to use up before Tuesday. The peppers were one of the veggies in my box so now that is being used up. I will slice, bread and bake the eggplant and probably freeze. The cukes I will make a cuke, sour cream, dill, sugar, vinegar salad out of. The turnips, I will boil/mash with a tater to make a mock mashed tater side dish. Butternut squash I could bake up or make a soup. Any Butternut squash suggestions?

Cube the squash, toss with some oil and bake, then make into a roasted squash salad. Google for ideas, but I like this one:https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/roasted-winter-squash-salad-recipe.html

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #812 on: April 14, 2019, 02:25:15 PM »
Having my parents over for dinner, making eggplant parmesan from a Serious Eats recipe that's one of my all-time favorites. Also just got some ramekins for a wedding gift so we're experimenting with Molten Chocolate cake for dessert. Let's hope it turns out ok!

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: April 14, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
Homemade tomato sauce (Marcella Hazan's recipe) with ground beef, mushrooms, and garlic over penne pasta.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #814 on: April 14, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
Ground turkey stir fry over brown rice.
https://www.budgetbytes.com/ground-turkey-stir-fry/

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #815 on: April 14, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
Crockpot sesame beef (budget bytes recipe) with broiled asparagus and kimchi fried rice -- the latter was mainly to use up a bunch of rice that was languishing in the fridge, but boy was it tasty!  Used this recipe-- https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-fried-rice/ -- and substituted plain old cremini mushrooms (that were also languishing in the fridge) for the enoki mushrooms.  It was a big hit and will be going into the meal rotation on a regular basis.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: April 14, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
Crockpot sesame beef (budget bytes recipe) with broiled asparagus and kimchi fried rice -- the latter was mainly to use up a bunch of rice that was languishing in the fridge, but boy was it tasty!  Used this recipe-- https://mykoreankitchen.com/kimchi-fried-rice/ -- and substituted plain old cremini mushrooms (that were also languishing in the fridge) for the enoki mushrooms.  It was a big hit and will be going into the meal rotation on a regular basis.

That sesame beef recipe is one of our favorites. Thanks for sharing the kimchi rice recipe! It sounds delicious and I know my husband would love it.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: April 16, 2019, 05:47:25 PM »
Shepherd & shepherdess pie!

(Shepherd is traditionally with lamb, shepherdess is traditionally vegetarian: I'm using both red lentils AND some shredded beef from making stock a week or so ago -- it was in the freezer. Onion, carrot, probably edamame, as I don't much like peas. Leftover baked potatoes, mashed with stuff.) Also, salad.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
Crustless quiche with onion, red bell pepper, bacon, and Swiss cheese and roasted potatoes.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #819 on: April 17, 2019, 06:26:30 AM »
I have all the stuff to make a big thing of vegetarian curry. I was going to make it last night but I got home late and so was so tired I wasn't hungry. So tonight it is (fresh califlower, cabbage, also bag of frozen veggies), rice on the side.

My kids and I love the mango lassi. I want to learn how to make that. 

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: April 17, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
Husband made a chicken and veg stir fry with brown rice (I worked until 9 pm).

Tyson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #821 on: April 17, 2019, 09:34:41 PM »
Street tacos using ground turkey breast (99 cent/lb).  And I used this home made taco seasoning recipe someone here linked to earlier:

https://www.rachelcooks.com/2011/10/28/homemade-taco-seasoning/

Had half an avocado left over from the salad last night so used that & some shredded cheese and lettuce.  Yummy.  My 12 year old daughter approved, too!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: April 17, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »
Burrrrritos, using 1/3 of the batch of taco meat we batch cooked the other day. Today's Secret Ingredient was  sliced and sauteed onions, as we have many to use up. Yummy!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: April 18, 2019, 07:20:00 AM »

My kids and I love the mango lassi. I want to learn how to make that.

The secret to restaurant-style mango lassi, I find, is to get canned mango pulp from an Indian grocery store.  I've tried using frozen mango chunks but it's just not the same.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #824 on: April 18, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »
Making salmon tonight. We are making an effort to increase our fish intake to at least twice a week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #825 on: April 18, 2019, 08:39:48 PM »
My parents are in town & are awesome, so they made chicken enchiladas & cake.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #826 on: April 19, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
Warming up frozen homemade pizza.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #827 on: April 19, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Pizza!  Kroger crusts and our toppings.  That and home brewed beer.

Mmmmmmm....BEER!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: April 20, 2019, 07:20:38 AM »
Two recipes from the cookbook Simple:

Burrata with roasted gapes. I will use mozerella instead of burrata.

Entrecote with harissa, peppers and lemonsauce.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #829 on: April 20, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Not sure yet, but something without campfire ashes...  After four days of camping and cooking all food on the fire, I'm going to miss that smoky flavor...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #830 on: April 21, 2019, 02:23:06 AM »
Whole chicken with lemon.
Couscous with tomatoes.
Salad with haricot verts and green aspergus.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:09:28 AM by Linea_Norway »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #831 on: April 21, 2019, 04:47:05 AM »
We hosted a party at our house tonight. Everybody brings an appetizer. Yesterday, I hosted a breakfast for another group and there were leftovers, which of course I packed up and brought home. Since I paid for the food, why wouldn't I?

Tonight's contribution to the array of appetizers was yesterday's leftovers, prettily arranged on a nice platter.  And voila!  Dinner was served.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #832 on: April 21, 2019, 05:01:42 AM »
Last night it was nice to finally have a great evening, breakout the grill and have some steaks.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: April 21, 2019, 05:18:49 AM »
I made this salad last night and it was sooo good! https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/tuscan-kale-caesar-slaw

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #834 on: April 21, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
My husband is grilling chicken and we'll serve that with salad. And, a nice bottle of wine.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: April 21, 2019, 10:24:43 AM »
We're having roast chicken, potatoes and other veggies plus some asparagus and nice wine for Easter dinner tonight.  And chocolate easter eggs for dessert.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #836 on: April 21, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »
Last night I roasted a small cauliflower and ate the whole thing with a fish sauce/chile paste/sesame oil dip.

Tonight I'm making pizza with my sourdough starter, homemade pesto and fresh mozzarella.  Maybe a spinach salad on the side.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #837 on: April 21, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »
Husband put spare ribs in the smoker about an hour ago. I'll make a batch of multi-veggie cole slaw and roasted potatoes. The weather is incredible, so we might get to eat on the patio.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: April 21, 2019, 01:31:56 PM »
Tonight will be sea scallops on top of yellow saffron rice and left over Tuscan kale salad.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:33 PM »
Last night: we had back-to-back away soccer games, so before we left (and at the advice of my friendly butchers) I stuck a random "roast" from our 1/2 steer into a crockpot with some spices and a bit of stock. We cooked it on high for a few hours, then low for the rest of the day. Had it for dinner with baked potatoes, salad, and asparagus. And orange cake.

Today: most of us had polenta (or "cheese grits") with a cauliflower and tomato sauce, with more white cheddar on top. The kid who really doesn't like polenta had the same stuff over a leftover baked potato. And jelly beans left over from this morning.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #840 on: April 22, 2019, 02:31:56 AM »
Whole chicken with lemon.
Couscous with tomatoes.
Salad with haricot verts and green aspergus.

Same as yesterday, as I made a double portion of the side dishes. A whole chicken is always two portions for two people, or even more.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: April 22, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »
Last night: we had back-to-back away soccer games, so before we left (and at the advice of my friendly butchers) I stuck a random "roast" from our 1/2 steer into a crockpot with some spices and a bit of stock. We cooked it on high for a few hours, then low for the rest of the day. Had it for dinner with baked potatoes, salad, and asparagus. And orange cake.

Today: most of us had polenta (or "cheese grits") with a cauliflower and tomato sauce, with more white cheddar on top. The kid who really doesn't like polenta had the same stuff over a leftover baked potato. And jelly beans left over from this morning.

@jeninco - my kids play club soccer as well, but never games on Easter! This was such a relaxing weekend without games. We are back at it next weekend, with both boys in tournaments, so six games if no playoffs. ;-)

For dinner today, we're having leftover Persian food. We have a little bit of beef kebab, chicken kebab, & a few variants of rice dishes. Yum!

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »
I'm sure my kids will be thrilled for a third day of black bean sweet potato chili.  (Actually, they didn't eat it on Saturday, so it's only night 2 for them).  There are 2 slices of leftover pizza for them, if they want.

And kale chips.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #843 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
My 10 year old is making risotto (with my help).

FireLane

• Bristles
« Reply #844 on: April 22, 2019, 04:39:25 PM »
Quinoa salad with chickpeas, tomato, cucumber and pink beans, with an olive oil-lime juice dressing and a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
Locally made holiday kielbasa sautéed with sliced onion and shredded cabbage, and roasted potatoes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: April 22, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
Last night I roasted a small cauliflower and ate the whole thing with a fish sauce/chile paste/sesame oil dip.

Same, but broccoli tonight.  I had a burger and fries for a late lunch, so no need to eat a "real" dinner.

Tomorrow I'll probably roast chicken, cabbage and butternut squash and eat that for a few days.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #847 on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:48 AM »
We need to make something of the leftover chicken that I scraped off the carcass yesterday.
Maybe some tortilla wraps, with some green salad.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2019, 03:12:01 AM »
Was busy as all hell so just threw in some stuffed porkchops, grean beans, heated up some chopped up sweet potato chunks and had a few leftover Turkey Sausages Italian to eat up.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #849 on: April 23, 2019, 05:43:57 AM »
Tonight will be oven roasted turkey breast, pesto egg noodles and fresh green beans sautéed with garlic, butter, parsley.