Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 42783 times)

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Found out I'm allergic to beef :( 

I cut beef out for a while, and my psoriasis went away.  Had steak on Sunday and again yesterday (leftovers) and it flared right back up!  Damn, that sucks.  I love beef. 

Oh well, I also love fish, chicken, pork and lamb, none of which seem to cause me any problems.  So for dinner tonight I'm making street tacos from ground turkey breast.  I've had it before, it's very yummy.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2019, 03:12:41 PM »
Sorry to hear that, @tyort1 . Food allergies can be so frustrating, but at least you figured it out! Street tacos sound delicious.

For us: I have a 6 pm meeting. Chicken thighs are currently in a shawarma marinade (lemon juice, olive oil, tons of garlic, various spices) and will be grilled once husband gets home from work. I'll make up a garlic yogurt sauce and slice some tomatoes and cucumbers. Not sure yet if we'll want a starch like gluten-free wrap bread or rice.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: April 23, 2019, 04:29:11 PM »
@OtherJen , Yum! We need to get more Indian-inspired things into the rotation. It's suddenly become spring (in the way that happens here -- it snowed last week, now it's 75F), and I'm thinking through the spring things.

Last night: chili with the leftover shredded meat from that "roast".  And rainbow slaw (dressed with just rice vinegar) corn chips, avocados, and cheddar.

Tonight: Grilled pork chops (I need to go brush them with mustard), sweet potato and russet baked wedges, probably cabbage. And sauerkraut and mustard.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #853 on: April 23, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
Changed plans and made a big batch of chicken larb with cashews and Thai basil pesto dressing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #854 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:02 AM »
Found out I'm allergic to beef :( 

I cut beef out for a while, and my psoriasis went away.  Had steak on Sunday and again yesterday (leftovers) and it flared right back up!  Damn, that sucks.  I love beef. 

Oh well, I also love fish, chicken, pork and lamb, none of which seem to cause me any problems.  So for dinner tonight I'm making street tacos from ground turkey breast.  I've had it before, it's very yummy.

It's not nice to be allergic to food you love, but you should be happy that your illness is so easy to prevent as long as you eat correctly. I have noticed that I respond badly to unions. It is a PITA to avoid those, but I got used to it and the difference for my belly problems is like day and night.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #855 on: April 24, 2019, 02:15:41 AM »
Green salad with veggie burgers. And something potato-ish.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #856 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:42 AM »
Was working in the kitchen all day painting so just made chicken thighs on the grill and chicken fried rice on the stove. Good and easy.

John Galt incarnate!

• Bristles
« Reply #857 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
Green salad with veggie burgers. And something potato-ish.

My dinner will include something  potato-ish too.

Mashed potatoes, pork chops, applesauce, and ice cream for dessert.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:08:04 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: April 24, 2019, 07:44:55 PM »
Grilled salmon, tahdig (Iranian stuck-pot rice; apparently we’re on a Middle Eastern kick this week) and spinach salad with homemade vinaigrette.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: April 25, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »
Last night: made a big black bean salad (with onions, red peppers, corn, chipotle-lime dressing) in the afternoon, then had scoops warmed up for dinner with fried eggs, warmed up tortillas, a little grated cheese, and some salad.

Tonight: beef and broccoli stir-fry. The beef is defrosting now (it's easier to cut thin slices when it's half-defrosted).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #860 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
I just made and ate soup, made of leftover broccoli stilks from the freezer, some carrots, a chunk of french blue cheese, some leaves of self picked wild garlic and selfmade mushroom soy sauce. Served with home made croutons of leftover bread ends from the freezer. I also thickened the soup with old bread. I added a boiled egg for some additional protein.
DH liked it.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #861 on: April 25, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
Tonight going with a good ole Italian basic the kids will love. Baked Mostacoli with Italian 1/4 inch or so sliced sausage chunks instead of meatballs and Garlic bread and salad for the side. Need something simple as I mulched all day.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #862 on: April 26, 2019, 07:18:23 AM »
I just made and ate soup, made of leftover broccoli stilks from the freezer, some carrots, a chunk of french blue cheese, some leaves of self picked wild garlic and selfmade mushroom soy sauce. Served with home made croutons of leftover bread ends from the freezer. I also thickened the soup with old bread. I added a boiled egg for some additional protein.
DH liked it.

That sounds good as hell.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: April 26, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »
Last night we had sauteed sausage and baked chicken fingers.  I also made a dill-potato salad with steamed snap peas and a lemon vinaigrette.

Our veggie box mid week had baby potatoes and dill.  I cooked the potatoes in the instant pot (first time ever) and they were perfect.  5 min pressure, a few min natural then release.  Red onion, dill, lemon juice/vinegar/garlic (lemon from my neighbor's tree), snap peas, yum!

Tonight is Friday, so frozen pizza and salad.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: April 26, 2019, 07:25:42 PM »
Bacon, scrambled eggs, and roasted potatoes. I should probably peel a couple of oranges for dessert.

slackmax

• Bristles
« Reply #865 on: April 27, 2019, 06:49:10 AM »
Tried something new. Made a small casserole dish of layers of hamburger and eggplant, with cottage cheese on top.  Turned out OK.

I was happy to find the eggplant was only $1.69 a pound. 

Next on the list is lasagna. 

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #866 on: April 27, 2019, 10:17:43 AM »
I get a Misfits Market organic vegetable box every two weeks. I order the big box and it lasts just about two weeks. It is challenging to find new recipes using the veggies that I rarely or never buy. I also made eggplant parmesan last night and it was delish!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #867 on: April 27, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »
Today I made a starter of fried ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris), with a parmesan imitation amd pine nuts. Good feedback that it was restaurant quality, but could use a řittle vinegar.

Main dish was fried catfish, served with mashed potato with wild garlic and cooked broccoli.

The fern and wild garlic I picked myself yesterday and today.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #868 on: April 27, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
I'm doing keto or something close to it for a couple weeks to get rid of my burgeoning sweet tooth.

Last night I steamed a head of cauliflower, broke it up and mixed it in a small casserole dish with chopped green chile, cilantro and green onions, then did a layer of cheddar, layer of carnitas, more of the green chile mixture, and more cheese on top.  Baked until the cheese started to brown.  It was mm,mm good.  Looking forward to eating the leftovers for dinner tonight.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #869 on: April 27, 2019, 08:06:19 PM »
We had leftover black bean salad from last week, so made enchiladas and cabbage/carrot slaw. Tasty!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: April 29, 2019, 09:15:24 AM »
Sorry to hear that, @tyort1 . Food allergies can be so frustrating, but at least you figured it out! Street tacos sound delicious.

For us: I have a 6 pm meeting. Chicken thighs are currently in a shawarma marinade (lemon juice, olive oil, tons of garlic, various spices) and will be grilled once husband gets home from work. I'll make up a garlic yogurt sauce and slice some tomatoes and cucumbers. Not sure yet if we'll want a starch like gluten-free wrap bread or rice.

@OtherJen - you can actually use yogurt in the marinade to make the chicken extra moist. My husband makes a Persian kebab recipe that way.

We'll be having leftover chicken kebabs + rice. We didn't really get a chance to eat much yesterday between soccer games.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #871 on: April 29, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Sausages and cakes made of green weeds, sweet potato, eggs, flour and herbs. Served with a bit of tomato salsa with fresh koriander that I planted in the kitchen window.

Parizade

• Pencil Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #872 on: April 29, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #873 on: April 29, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
Bean and ham soup.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #874 on: April 29, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »
Keto lamb burgers and a big salad.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #875 on: April 29, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
Nachos, because we're adults!

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #876 on: April 29, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Lentil, sausage, vegetable and kale soup, with homemade croutons and grated cheese.

Because it's Freakin'  snowing again. Happy spring, everyone!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #877 on: April 29, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
Tried making veggies and tofu in the crockpot and adding General Tso spice mix for flavor. Do not recommend, not at all. This combination turns out well when stirfried, but makes a watery soup in the slow cooker, even when I use less liquid overall. It was gross. We ate it anyway, and tomorrow is another day.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #878 on: April 30, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »
Just made herb, garlic, and butter marinaded chicken breasts with a side of pasta and steamed some California style veggies. Very busy this week so going to be quick easy meals to make.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #879 on: April 30, 2019, 04:27:04 AM »
For the first time ever, I made home made butter! I watched a YouTube video and thought I knew what I was doing but ruined the first batch and had to chuck it. I rewatched the video and tried it again. The butter came out really nice. However, it sure didn't save me any money considering I ruined the first batch. But now I know how to make it and might keep a look out for whipping cream when it goes on sale and make butter out of it, then freeze it.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #880 on: April 30, 2019, 07:31:44 AM »
I think we’re having tacos. I thawed some ground beef, and I have a lot of bell and hot peppers to use before they wilt/shrivel. Maybe I’ll roast the bell peppers with some onions for a fajita-like topping.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: April 30, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
For the first time ever, I made home made butter! I watched a YouTube video and thought I knew what I was doing but ruined the first batch and had to chuck it. I rewatched the video and tried it again. The butter came out really nice. However, it sure didn't save me any money considering I ruined the first batch. But now I know how to make it and might keep a look out for whipping cream when it goes on sale and make butter out of it, then freeze it.

Ooh, can you link to the tutorial you used?  Sometimes the cream from the local dairy that uses glass bottles is on clearance, and this would be a good way to use/preserve it.

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #882 on: April 30, 2019, 02:45:46 PM »
Split barbecue Chickens, Chicken fried rice , a veggie loaded salad and a steamed mixed bag of frozen veggies

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: April 30, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »

Ooh, can you link to the tutorial you used?  Sometimes the cream from the local dairy that uses glass bottles is on clearance, and this would be a good way to use/preserve it.

This is the video I used as an example. I have a Vita Mix blender and I think it is more powerful than this blender in the video  so things went quicker and that is why I ruined the first batch. This is a good tutorial and I would suggest you watch it several times to 'get' what this lady is talking about. It was really kind of fun and I was like WOW, I made butter! They liquid whey is supposed to be good for other stuff too but I didn't look into that. Maybe do a search for what you can use whey in so you don't waste it like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MAzSv3SlnY

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 01, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
DH caught a fish, one of these flat type fishes. We ate it with ostrich fern, bacon and potatoes.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: May 01, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »
Homemade red pasta sauce, as this will allow me to use up the rest of the ground beef that I thawed for last night's tacos, the rest of a can of tomato paste that I opened for soup on Monday, some of the fresh basil that I couldn't resist at the store, and a small pack of mushrooms before they shrivel. I haven't decided whether this will be served with penne or spaghetti.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 01, 2019, 08:14:37 PM »
It's been cool and rainy (with an occasional interlude of hail and snow, and, oh yeah, it was sunny once for 5 minutes) today, so we had fidget casserole. It's like a "fidget pie" apparently a traditional Shropshire thing, but without the fussiness of a crust -- our version is a giant baked dish of leeks, onions, potatoes, apples, and bits of ham, all cooked with sage in a cheesy sauce. I was taking a kid to a music lesson, and this was in the oven cooking itself, all ready to take out when we returned home.

Also salad, for healthiness.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #887 on: May 02, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »

This is the video I used as an example. I have a Vita Mix blender and I think it is more powerful than this blender in the video  so things went quicker and that is why I ruined the first batch. This is a good tutorial and I would suggest you watch it several times to 'get' what this lady is talking about. It was really kind of fun and I was like WOW, I made butter! They liquid whey is supposed to be good for other stuff too but I didn't look into that. Maybe do a search for what you can use whey in so you don't waste it like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MAzSv3SlnY

Cool, thanks!  I've used whey for baking, and barring that, the chickens love it.

Dinner tonight was luxurious:  T-bones from the beef quarter we just got, topped with sauteed leek (homegrown volunteer) and shiitake mushrooms and grilled asparagus.  I wanted to make something nice for DH who just got home from a long trip overseas, but he pretty much face planted when he got home from work and didn't eat.  But that's OK because I get to have steak for lunch tomorrow.

middo

• Pencil Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #888 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
Tonight is my take on chilli-con:

Meat sauce made with:
1 kg minced beef
800 grams baked beans
cumin (lots)
paprika (lots)

Salsa:
400gm can of diced tomatoes
Chillis from the garden (habaneros are good)
a capsicum
2 onions diced
fried until thickish.

Served as baked potatoes opened up, then meat sauce, grated cheese, salsa and greek yoghurt.

Enjoy with a homebrew beer in front of tonight's football game.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: May 02, 2019, 11:58:36 PM »
Yesterday I roasted a cabbage in the oven with oil, garlic, chili and ginger. With baked potato slices and small meatballs.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #890 on: May 03, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Last night: grilled porkchops, roasted sweet potato wedges, roast cauliflower salad. Apple cake.

Tonight: (After the third kid concert in 5 days) pizza and salad. I started the dough a few hours ago. I'll probably bake one up in the afternoon, so it can be eaten as a pre-concert snack.

Thank heavens the instrument-playing kid is in a decent high school band. I don't have much more "sitting through performances by beginners" left in my behind.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #891 on: May 03, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
Yesterday I roasted a cabbage in the oven with oil, garlic, chili and ginger. With baked potato slices and small meatballs.

Mm nice.  Did you put the whole head in, or cut into wedges?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #892 on: May 03, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
Husband is attempting pad see ew in his new wok. Mmm, rice noodles.

Can you share the pad see ewe recipe? I love this dish and when I have tried making it in the past it wasn’t quite right, specifically the sauce was off.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #893 on: May 03, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »
Husband is attempting pad see ew in his new wok. Mmm, rice noodles.

Can you share the pad see ewe recipe? I love this dish and when I have tried making it in the past it wasn’t quite right, specifically the sauce was off.

It was from a cookbook (this one), so I don't have a link. It was good but not quite "right," either, although that may be due to a couple of sauce substitutions to accommodate my celiac disease.

(Note: we really have enjoyed the linked cookbook. The Grapow Chicken and Cashew Chicken recipes were delicious.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:09:30 AM by OtherJen »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #894 on: May 03, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »

I'm not @Linea_Norway  but I always do wedges.  Cooks faster and you get yummy crispy edges.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #895 on: May 04, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »

I'm not @Linea_Norway  but I always do wedges.  Cooks faster and you get yummy crispy edges.

I also cut it into 8 wedges. Today we ate it as leftover, heated up in the oven and added grated cheese. Tasted very well.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #896 on: May 04, 2019, 03:26:10 PM »
Masaman curry chicken and vegetables in the instantpot tonight.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #897 on: May 04, 2019, 04:56:33 PM »
We are having chicken enchiladas from the freezer

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #898 on: May 04, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
Tried the "crispy tofu and soba noodles" recipe from the New York times. Added more vegetables.

Meh. The "sauce" kinda sucked. I'm not sure if I want to try to improve it next time, or just consider it a wash and recycle the pages I printed the recipe on. (Probably the second one: there's nothing particularly unique or interested about the recipe.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #899 on: May 05, 2019, 06:27:23 PM »
I was going to make a keto friendly beef dish, but my husband's flight is delayed, so he's not eating with us. Instead, the kids will have cheese pizza & I'll have a salad. So fancy ;-)