Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 43040 times)

cloudsail

• Bristles
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #1050 on: June 12, 2019, 09:40:54 PM »
I tried something today that was relatively easy, required only one pot, and was great on a hot day.

Earlier in the afternoon I put some some riblets and ginger, garlic into my cast iron pot to simmer and make broth.

An hour or so later, I fished out everything, threw away the ginger and garlic. I put thin spaghetti noodles into the broth to cook, along with some salt. I mixed up a sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and some minced ginger and garlic in a large bowl. When the noodles were done I fished them out and rinsed in cold water before putting them in the bowl. I blanched some sliced napa cabbage in the broth and threw in bowl with noodles, then mixed with sauce and put in fridge. I threw some broccoli and carrots in the broth to blanch, and drizzled some soy sauce, green onions, and balsamic glaze on the riblets.

So for dinner we had:
Peanut sauce cold noodles with napa cabbage
Riblets
Broccoli and carrots

All from one pot.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:47:40 PM by cloudsail »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: June 13, 2019, 01:50:36 AM »
We will eat in the car. Probably some nice buns, bought in a grocery store along the road.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: June 13, 2019, 04:35:51 PM »
We're leaving for a road trip tomorrow, so it's leftovers for everyone: one meal of salmon, one meal of homemade pizza, two meals of carnitas. Salad for all.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1053 on: June 13, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
Masaman curry chicken and veggies in the crockpot. It's this recipe, but I have gradually added in shortcut after shortcut to make it even easier (one at a time so if something reduces the quality, I know what): https://showmetheyummy.com/crockpot-thai-chicken-curry/

Shortcuts to date: canned chicken (two small cans, include the liquid and sub for both the chicken and the broth), drinking coconut milk from Aldi instead of canned (sub for both the coconut milk and the sugar - this is more for price than easiness), frozen fajita mix peppers and onions (just throw in the pot with everything else), instant brown rice (throw in 1-2 cups ~20 minutes before serving to avoid having to cook rice and to soak up the excess liquid while flavoring the rice). Oh, and substitution of masaman for red curry paste because my reflux can't handle the red. Since the chicken's already cooked, this also reduces the cooking time to ~2 hours in a crock pot, basically just long enough to get everything hot and then cook the instant rice.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1054 on: June 13, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
Last dinner for two: grilled pork chops (I wrapped them in sage leaves for a while before cooking, because out sage plant is out of control and needs to be cut back, as well as for yummyness), roasted brussels sprouts, baked sweet potatoes, sauerkraut. We grilled some asparagus at the same time as the pork, which will go into panzanella (roasted whole grain sourdough cubes, asparagus, tomatoes, mozzarella balls, a little chopped celery, maybe roasted peppers, probably a green goddess dressing, because I need to cut back the parsley, too) for lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow night: leftovers, as I'll be eating all alone!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1055 on: June 14, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
Mark Bittman's Pad Thai, the easy version. I decided to try soaking the rice noodles in cold water for an hour instead of boiling them. I want a firmer noodle, so we'll see what happens. I am too frugal lazy to go to the store for just bean sprouts, so I'm just not going to use them. Sue me. My family will notice, but if the noodles are smooth and firm, they won't care. Wish me luck.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: June 15, 2019, 07:19:40 AM »
Mark Bittman's Pad Thai, the easy version. I decided to try soaking the rice noodles in cold water for an hour instead of boiling them. I want a firmer noodle, so we'll see what happens. I am too frugal lazy to go to the store for just bean sprouts, so I'm just not going to use them. Sue me. My family will notice, but if the noodles are smooth and firm, they won't care. Wish me luck.

Good luck! And please report back -- I'd like to make that one this summer.

Bean sprouts go bad too quickly for me -- I almost always substitute something like shredded carrots (to get in more veg.) and/or sautéed snap peas.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: June 15, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »
Chicken noodle soup, made with stock and meat from a grocery rotisserie chicken. The weather is cool and rainy and husband is a bit under the weather, so this seemed reasonable.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: June 15, 2019, 06:16:04 PM »
Kids are coming back, although their flight has been delayed. At the request of the one who was staying with my sister-in-law (who apparently eats air, so the teen is probably pretty hungry), we're having a steak salad: grilled sirloin, grilled asparagus and green onions, boiled, then sliced and dressed potatoes. Green goddess dressing, which'll include pesto (because we have some that needs using up). Probably capers and sliced cornichon pickles, because I like pickled things in these kinds of salads, and because we have 1/3 - 1/5 full bottles of both in the fridge.

Because they're now arriving at 8:30, I'll probably back some of the stuff up into travel containers so they can eat something in the car.

(I should also mention that we buy 1/2 steer every fall, so although "sirloin" sounds fancy, viewed another way it's just one more piece of beef off the steer.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #1059 on: June 15, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »
Rubbed a chicken with a coffee-habanero rub and smoked it over cherrywood all afternoon.  Ate it dipped in a chimichurri sauce that was leftover in the fridge, and we had pickleback jicama slaw on the side.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: June 20, 2019, 06:59:37 PM »
Budget Bytes' Cilantro Lime Chicken with white rice and sauteed vegetables flavored with Penzey's Southwest seasoning.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1061 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:08 PM »
Mark Bittman's Cassoulet with many vegetables. Ciabatta, warmed in the oven, with butter.
(Picked my husband up at the airport, and this was something tasty that could be waiting for us: I turned it back on, added some shredded cabbage, let it get all hot, and we were good to go.)

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: June 22, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
before I went to bed the night before I had the slow cooker filled with ingredients to make potato leek soup. It cooked all night long and in the morning I blended it all up. So good!

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: Today at 06:58:56 AM »
Michigan finally decided that the solstice was a good time to start summer weather, so we’re in a multi-day stretch of hot, humid weather. Husband hasn’t installed the window AC units yet, so I’m trying to use the stove as little as possible.

Last night’s dinner was grilled curried chicken thighs, my insta-pot version of mujadara (Middle Eastern lentil/rice dish), and sliced raw veggies.

Tonight, I think we’re having bacon cooked in the microwave, potato cubes roasted in the air fryer, and scrambled eggs (since those only need the stove for a few minutes). Probably some spinach and mushrooms with the eggs, and sliced tomatoes on the side.