Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 961995 times)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #4300 on: February 14, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »
I’ve been sitting on a bag of dehydrated tomatoes for too long..rehydrated some of them and now will make this pasta meal tonight and likely add some more greens..sunflower microgreens https://www.veganricha.com/vegan-creamy-mushroom-pasta-one-pot/

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #4301 on: February 14, 2023, 06:40:42 PM »
Tonight my wife made besan pitla, green vatana and tamarind rice. Translation: besan pitla is a paste of chickpea flour fried with onions and spices, and green vatana are dried green peas that have been rehydrated, boiled and spiced (they stay chewy, not mushy like fresh peas). Tamarind rice is a pilaf with vegetables, peanuts and tamarind. These dishes are more or less common to west-central India. Very Mustachian - inexpensive ingredients, protein-rich, vegetarian and very tasty!

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4302 on: February 14, 2023, 07:03:44 PM »
Fish Tacos! Plus dessert - lava cake with vanilla ice cream and champagne.

Happy at-home V-Day!

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4303 on: February 16, 2023, 05:22:36 AM »
superbowl leftover cauliflower pizza from Trader Joes and a parmesan tahini kale salad for me.

From the freezer: creamy chicken and black bean enchilada filling served with leftover corn chips as a dip with homemade french bread pizza for the fellas. 

The pantry/freezer clear out continues. 

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4304 on: February 16, 2023, 07:57:38 PM »
It is 39 degrees (Celsius) here in Melbourne today, over 100 in the other scale.  We will probably have wraps again.  Left over roast meat and salad, some cheese and Greek yoghurt, wrapped in a homemade flat bread.  All the heating can be done outside, so the house stays lovely and cool.  Topped off with a homebrew beer since it is Friday

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4305 on: February 16, 2023, 08:22:37 PM »
Tonight my wife made besan pitla, green vatana and tamarind rice. Translation: besan pitla is a paste of chickpea flour fried with onions and spices..

thanks for mentioning this @snic --I've never heard of besan pitla before and I have chickpea flour which I needed to use up. I found a recipe and will try making this soon :)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4306 on: February 22, 2023, 05:19:04 PM »
Salmon and black bean tostadas tonight (we need to use up an avocado), but tomorrow it'll be a lovely bean soup with fresh bread, like any sensible family in a snowstorm would make!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #4307 on: February 22, 2023, 07:01:19 PM »
Gallo pinto.  We serve it with a fried egg and pico de gallo on top.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #4308 on: February 22, 2023, 08:03:26 PM »
It was last night, but was so good I'm sharing - roasted tomato orzo with a green salsa. Next time I'm going to try it with risotto rice to test a gluten free version so I can share it with friends. The green salsa is what made it great.

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegan/roasted-tomato-orzo/

I made a few amendments - used stock instead of vermouth, omitted the sugar, added pesto instead of basil because the shop didn't have fresh and used a slice of lemon instead of the juice & zest because I had sliced lemon in the freezer only. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4309 on: February 22, 2023, 11:51:44 PM »
That sounds really similar to the Rukmimi Iyer tomato orzo bake - delicious!

Tonight is tofu stir fry with sweet potato noodles

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4310 on: February 23, 2023, 04:28:25 AM »
Tonight was pizza night with whole wheat pizza crust and marinara from scratch. Made the sauce last week and the dough today. Best of all, I made two double batches, so enough for three more yummy pizzas went into the fridge and freezer. Hmmm, I have a big warehouse club bag o' shredded mozzarella. I was going to flash-freeze most of it in 1lb. portions. Perhaps I should make up three single-pizza-size containers, too.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4311 on: February 23, 2023, 12:42:50 PM »
Tonight, by popular request, we are having baked potatoes. Kid friendly, infinitely customizable. Its a popular meal in this house.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4312 on: February 25, 2023, 04:53:50 AM »
If I catch a salmon today, it will be salmon.
If not, it will be albacore tuna, plus a mayo free cole slaw

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4313 on: February 25, 2023, 05:19:56 PM »
The rain is supposed to hold off a bit this evening, so we're having grilled burgers & salad.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4314 on: February 25, 2023, 07:35:52 PM »
Spring rolls with sesame tofu, veggies and peanut sauce.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4315 on: February 26, 2023, 09:10:54 AM »
baked potatoes and mushroom "meat"balls

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4316 on: February 26, 2023, 03:11:16 PM »
Home made lasagne!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4317 on: February 26, 2023, 07:18:30 PM »
Home made lasagne!

Us too! I made one huge one (will freeze at least half) and one small one (headed directly into the freezer), so we'll get at least three dinners out of that rather substantial amount of work.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4318 on: February 26, 2023, 07:25:54 PM »
We had chicken shawarma, with the fixings (feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, tzatziki sauce)

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4319 on: February 26, 2023, 08:34:18 PM »
Home made lasagne!

Us too! I made one huge one (will freeze at least half) and one small one (headed directly into the freezer), so we'll get at least three dinners out of that rather substantial amount of work.

DH already had two pieces. Not sure he'll let me freeze any. ;)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4320 on: February 26, 2023, 11:45:11 PM »
Sliced up half of a pork tenderloin into medallions and fried .  Seasoned with salt, pepper & garlic powder.  Put some sauce over it :) Dog had a medallion as well.. she loved it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4321 on: February 27, 2023, 12:09:58 AM »
Cooking up potatoes and onions in schmaltz and stock from a roast chicken, I’ll add some peas soon and we’ll top it with over easy eggs

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4322 on: February 27, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »
@MaybeBabyMustache, do you make your tzaziki or buy it?  I love good tzaziki, but cannot seem to land on either a good recipe for home or a store bought one which is any good. 

@mspym, I love that you call it schmaltz.  I was raised in a VERY traditional Jewish home where that was a regular ingredient.  Now I'm a vegetarian, so I don't use it, but it conjures up a very warm memory of my mother's home cooking.  And my matzoh ball soup will never hold a candle to hers.

tonight, I am having the last of my mushroom "meat"balls, DS is making greek chicken meatballs and spinach with orzo and we will have the last of a batch of cacie e pepe cauliflower.  YUM!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4323 on: February 27, 2023, 10:20:19 AM »
My husband makes a Persian sauce (Yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, etc) called mast o khiar. He makes a recipe similar to this, but does the following: removes the green onion, rose petals, walnuts & raisins. With those changes, it's more like a tzatziki, and is the flavor we prefer for our Persian dishes.

https://www.thedeliciouscrescent.com/mast-o-khiar-persian-cucumber-yogurt/

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4324 on: February 27, 2023, 10:32:28 AM »
[/quote
The tuna was excellent :-(]

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4325 on: February 27, 2023, 03:52:54 PM »
I ended up enjoying the fruits of this weekend's labor-- wheat berries, chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes with dressing. Delicious.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4326 on: February 27, 2023, 03:53:27 PM »
The tuna was excellent :-(

Sorry you didn't catch your salmon! Next time?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4327 on: February 27, 2023, 04:16:31 PM »
Rice and beans. I feel like such a mustachian.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4328 on: February 27, 2023, 04:18:44 PM »
We are having a chicken fiesta rice dish, which is a one skillet meal that's super easy to prepare. This is freezer leftovers, so I'll doctor it with sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, etc.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4329 on: February 27, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »
Breakfast for dinner, though (although they've dropped recently) egg prices are keeping this from being the Mustachian meal this once was!

We had some friends over yesterday who brought us delicious homemade scones, so we'll polish those off with some scrambled eggs and Aldi Canadian bacon, plus whatever fruit looks like it's nearing its end.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4330 on: February 27, 2023, 06:30:03 PM »
Red Lentil and Spinach Masala, over rice. Recipe (which includes coconut milk) that I apparently downloaded from ... somewhere? It's pretty fast and tasty, and I'm trying to use up a massive, massive overstock of red lentils.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4331 on: February 27, 2023, 10:52:22 PM »
@Josiecat23503 it seems disrespectful to the chicken to waste the delicious.

Tonight is crispy gnocchi - using this recipe as the base and subbing in mushrooms for the tomatoes and feta for the ricotta
https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/crispy-gnocchi-with-roasted-peppers-chilli-rosemary-and-ricotta

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4332 on: February 28, 2023, 04:48:41 AM »
@jeninco, I have the same overabundance of red lentils.  I just found this recipe and I think I will be trying it later this week

https://www.myfussyeater.com/lentil-veggie-nuggets-recipe-kids/

Tonight's dinner plan looks suspiciously like last night's dinner plan of mushroom meatballs and cacie e pepe cauliflower for me and greek chicken meatballs and spinach orzo for the fellas.  Last night there was a time crunch and a freezer dinner of (cringe) hot dogs, (both meat and veggie) was served.  Seriously, I want to punch myself in the face for that.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4333 on: February 28, 2023, 07:41:58 AM »
we make this instant pot dal recipe pretty regularly with red lentils and any kale/chard/etc we have on hand, it's pretty tasty: https://www.kitchenathoskins.com/instant-pot-dal-with-kale/

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4334 on: February 28, 2023, 09:41:38 AM »
The tuna was excellent :-(

Sorry you didn't catch your salmon! Next time?
Definitely!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4335 on: February 28, 2023, 12:33:13 PM »
@jeninco, I have the same overabundance of red lentils.  I just found this recipe and I think I will be trying it later this week

https://www.myfussyeater.com/lentil-veggie-nuggets-recipe-kids/

Tonight's dinner plan looks suspiciously like last night's dinner plan of mushroom meatballs and cacie e pepe cauliflower for me and greek chicken meatballs and spinach orzo for the fellas.  Last night there was a time crunch and a freezer dinner of (cringe) hot dogs, (both meat and veggie) was served.  Seriously, I want to punch myself in the face for that.

Nah, congratulate yourself instead -- everyone ate something, and you didn't go out (or order out). Maybe next time add frozen green beans -- they're inexpensive and reheat well with about zero labor.

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to have a look...

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4336 on: February 28, 2023, 01:10:07 PM »
@jeninco, we did have carrot sticks with a homemade yogurt dip, so the veggie box was checked!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4337 on: February 28, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »
Leftovers... boerewors sausage, hash brown potatoes & some type of greens.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4338 on: February 28, 2023, 02:44:42 PM »

Wow, there's a sausage name I haven't seen in a while. Are you, um, in the country where that stuff is based?

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4339 on: February 28, 2023, 06:12:35 PM »
Low carb stir fry on outdoor high BTU cheap propane burner -- carbon steel wok.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4340 on: February 28, 2023, 09:00:03 PM »

Wow, there's a sausage name I haven't seen in a while. Are you, um, in the country where that stuff is based?

Nowhere near it @jeninco , very much in Canada!
But we have a friend who's family is from South Africa--years ago, she made these for dinner one night and we loved it so much that they now occasionally gift it to us when they come visit :)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4341 on: March 01, 2023, 09:20:19 AM »

Nowhere near it @jeninco , very much in Canada!
But we have a friend who's family is from South Africa--years ago, she made these for dinner one night and we loved it so much that they now occasionally gift it to us when they come visit :)

Ha, we occasionally buy a fraction of a steer, and I should consider finding some recipes and making some the next time I find myself with absurd amounts of beef on my hand. (The processors cut lovely pieces, but their sausage isn't the greatest -- I could do better!)

Hope it was wonderful! And thanks for the memories of our own trip to SA, years ago!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4342 on: March 03, 2023, 03:51:59 PM »
We're going for a backcountry ski tour tomorrow, so I made Anzac biscuits/cookies (I used this recipe:https://www.101cookbooks.com/anzac-cookies/, with honey -- which I realize isn't authentic, but it's what I have. Also, not lovely little hearts, more of oval-shaped blobs, but they're delicious!), and I'm partway through making WW cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

Tonight, we're having this delicious white-bean soup with all the toppings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=174q6NV_G6E (I suggest finding  the recipe, not watching the video...) We'll be using broccoli, rather than broccolini, because that's what the store had.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4343 on: March 03, 2023, 04:38:59 PM »
panfried garlic sesame tofu and teriyaki broccoli and mushroom stirfry with rice noodles.  It was delicious

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #4344 on: March 03, 2023, 05:29:55 PM »
We're going for a backcountry ski tour tomorrow, so I made Anzac biscuits/cookies (I used this recipe:https://www.101cookbooks.com/anzac-cookies/, with honey -- which I realize isn't authentic, but it's what I have. Also, not lovely little hearts, more of oval-shaped blobs, but they're delicious!), and I'm partway through making WW cinnamon rolls for breakfast.

Tonight, we're having this delicious white-bean soup with all the toppings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=174q6NV_G6E (I suggest finding  the recipe, not watching the video...) We'll be using broccoli, rather than broccolini, because that's what the store had.

I'm assuming from what you have written before that you are not Australian (or New Zealander) so Anzac bikkies is a great choice for you.  I'm actually surprised to see you writing about them.  Maybe next time go for this recipe:  https://www.womensweeklyfood.com.au/recipes/best-anzac-biscuits-recipe-28575

Women's Weekly before any recipe is a great search term for Australian recipes.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4345 on: March 03, 2023, 07:33:06 PM »
We're having our somewhat standard "busy Friday" night dinner, which is baked chicken wings & pan fried gyozas. My husband uses a bunch of seasoning on the gyozas, and they are delicious.

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #4346 on: March 03, 2023, 08:09:13 PM »
Bulgur, Tuscan kale, beet, roasted chickpea and goat cheese salad with lemon vinaigrette and walnuts, and some warm bread and butter on the side. Man that was good.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #4347 on: March 04, 2023, 06:16:34 PM »
My husband is grilling chicken & making Persian rice.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4348 on: March 05, 2023, 11:42:43 AM »

I'm assuming from what you have written before that you are not Australian (or New Zealander) so Anzac bikkies is a great choice for you.  I'm actually surprised to see you writing about them.  Maybe next time go for this recipe:  https://www.womensweeklyfood.com.au/recipes/best-anzac-biscuits-recipe-28575

Women's Weekly before any recipe is a great search term for Australian recipes.

Thanks! That's pretty close to the ones I made -- a little more sugar, a little less coconut, and I grated in some tangerine peel because I like the taste/smell, along with substituting honey for the golden syrup. (I know this makes them totally inauthentic, but they were still delicious, and mostly oats/coconut flakes, which was what we wanted for skiing treats.)

I just finished planning and shopping for this week's food:
Tonight, we're having a potluck with neighbors. I'm bringing dessert -- I've already baked one cake, and I'm currently looking at it thinking "that's kinda small" and wondering what else to bring. I may just make a second of the same.
After that, I haven't assigned evenings:
  • Eggplant involtini, from the smitten kitchen, with green beans and possibly pasta
  • Shrimp enchiladas verde, a casserole with refried beans, corn tortillas, green sauce, green chilis, and shrimp (currently frozen)
  • Napa cabbage and ground beef in a red curry sauce, from NWEdible, over rice
  • Salad with Fidget Casserole (originally from frugal in Cornwall: the site is now Frugal in France, and I have no idea what happened to the recipe: its a casserole of potatoes, ham (we'll be using cooked pork from the freezer), apples and leeks in a cheesy creamy sauce.)
  • Friday we're probably going to be in another town, and I'll pull a lasagne out of the freezer and put it in the fridge so when we get home Saturday all we have to do is warm it up.
I've already sliced and grilled the eggplant, so I'm feeling on top of things just now!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 11:44:20 AM by jeninco »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4349 on: March 05, 2023, 02:35:08 PM »
Fidget casserole sounds amazing! Recipe please!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!