Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 42778 times)

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #700 on: March 18, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
Hopefully, spaghetti squash with tomato/ground beef sauce.

WhiteTrashCash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #701 on: March 18, 2019, 04:15:24 PM »
Using some more stuff I have sitting around in the freezer and pantry, I'm making chicken-fried steak, mashed potatoes, and steamed vegetables. Should be some pleasant comfort food.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #702 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
Tacos! Better get a move on though, it's getting late. Thankfully I batch cooked the beef a couple of weeks ago and still have two left. Alas, my MIL* ate all the tomatoes off the fruit/veg stand on the kitchen counter, so salsa will be the extent of our tomato experience tonight.

* She has Alz, in case you don't already know that. At least I didn't find any half eaten ones in her underwear drawer this time. Yet.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #703 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »
Tacos! Better get a move on though, it's getting late. Thankfully I batch cooked the beef a couple of weeks ago and still have two left. Alas, my MIL* ate all the tomatoes off the fruit/veg stand on the kitchen counter, so salsa will be the extent of our tomato experience tonight.

* She has Alz, in case you don't already know that. At least I didn't find any half eaten ones in her underwear drawer this time. Yet.

The half-eaten one is for the cooked salsa! (Or the compost pile...)

We had chili. Rounded out with some tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sliced radishes, and carrot/cabbage slaw. I tried cooking the beans with kombu (sp?) this time, to save us from having half the family gas out the other half. I seriously do not want to be in a car with my youngest the day after a bean-heavy meal.

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #704 on: March 19, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
grilled salmon on top of a giant salad of lettuce, cucumber, mushrooms, olives, avocado, nutritional yeast, and carrot. Yum!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #705 on: March 19, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »
Made pizza and salad. All gone.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #706 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:50 AM »
DH made fish soup from water, coconut milk, frozen vegetables and flavour stuff. Served with fresh bread and the half full bottle of white wine that we had left. Tasted good.

If it is my turn tonight, I will make pasta with cream, blue cheese and spinach.

Edit: There was not so much spinach, so I added some carrots and porcini.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 02:10:02 AM by Linea_Norway »

FireLane

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: March 20, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
In honor of St. Patrick's Day, this week I made loaded baked potato soup: red potatoes, onion and broccoli diced and simmered in chicken stock, thickened with a roux of flour and butter. Serve topped with bacon, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #708 on: March 20, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »
I don't make it a point to eat traditional foods for the holidays, but I do tend to base meals around the best sales of the week. Which is why we've been eating corned beef, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage every night since Sunday.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #709 on: March 20, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
Costco rotisserie chicken, leftover spaghetti squash with butter, and roasted fractal broccoli (aka romanesco).

WhiteTrashCash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #710 on: March 20, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
I had to take a day off from work today, so I had a little more time to prepare dinner: Polynesian-style pork chops with cinnamon applesauce and a loaf of homemade apple cinnamon bread. And an episode of "Daredevil" on Netflix. :-)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #711 on: March 20, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
@Dicey, you are very welcome! I'm vegetarian so I use low sodium veg broth and that came out well too. Using good paprika, and enough of it, helps. I was using smoked paprika in it before, but this time I only had the cheap shit from Aldi in the house and it wasn't quite as good. Still a great hearty meal on a cold night.
I only had regular paprika, so that could be the difference. I'll add smoked paprika to my shopping list. Lol, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years. When I got married and suddenly started cooking for a family of four adult-sized humans, three of whom are meat eaters, I admit, I relaxed my standards a bit. I use meat stock occasionally. I had lo-so beef stock in the pantry that was well past the alleged expiration date, so I just grabbed it and ignored the fact that it wasn't vegetarian. We all love mushrooms, so I'm sure this recipe will stay in our rotation. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

I can confirm that smoked paprika is delightful. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.
I made this again this time with the smoked paprika. It made enough of a difference to warrant the purchase of a specific single-recipe spice. Though now that I have it, I'm sure Ill find other uses for it.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
@Dicey, you are very welcome! I'm vegetarian so I use low sodium veg broth and that came out well too. Using good paprika, and enough of it, helps. I was using smoked paprika in it before, but this time I only had the cheap shit from Aldi in the house and it wasn't quite as good. Still a great hearty meal on a cold night.
I only had regular paprika, so that could be the difference. I'll add smoked paprika to my shopping list. Lol, I've been a vegetarian for 30 years. When I got married and suddenly started cooking for a family of four adult-sized humans, three of whom are meat eaters, I admit, I relaxed my standards a bit. I use meat stock occasionally. I had lo-so beef stock in the pantry that was well past the alleged expiration date, so I just grabbed it and ignored the fact that it wasn't vegetarian. We all love mushrooms, so I'm sure this recipe will stay in our rotation. Thanks again, @Tris Prior!

I can confirm that smoked paprika is delightful. I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.
I made this again this time with the smoked paprika. It made enough of a difference to warrant the purchase of a specific single-recipe spice. Though now that I have it, I'm sure Ill find other uses for it.

Smoked paprika and/or alleppo pepper flakes make their way into many, many things I cook, including most everything containing tomatoes or eggs.

I'm out of ideas, and the older kid won't be home for dinner tonight, so I defrosted a tub of baked giant white beans in tomato sauce with feta (I'll reheat it in the oven) with a parsley-lemon sauce that gets drizzled over. (I kept the jar of parsley sauce in the freezer next to the beans.) We'll have it with toast (or a baguette) and salad.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #713 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »

I mix it with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder and use that as a seasoning for roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or chicken, fish, or pork.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #714 on: March 21, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
Kidney beans, lentils, tomato, minced meat, red pepper, squash, taco spices.
It tasted good.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #715 on: March 21, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »

I mix it with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic powder and use that as a seasoning for roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or chicken, fish, or pork.
Thanks! I'll try that soon as I have potatoes to use up.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #716 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:39 AM »
It was raining all day yesterday so I put on a big pot of from-scratch marinara.  There's nothing like the smell and warmth of a big pot of red sauce to warm my bones.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #717 on: March 22, 2019, 08:15:58 AM »
Baked salmon and stuck-pot rice with lentils and yogurt.

I have a bag of baby eggplants so maybe I'll roast some of those, too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #718 on: March 22, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
Home made pizza.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #719 on: March 22, 2019, 09:47:32 PM »
Home made pizza.

Us too! And salad.

We made the kind that somewhat cleaned out the fridge, so the last one was pesto, ham slivers, and havarti with an egg cracked on the top when it was about half baked.  (The first one was marinara, and they got weirder from there.)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #720 on: March 23, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
Egg roll in a bowl for the adults. Same topping, wrapped in a tortilla for another kid. Unclear what youngest will eat when he comes back from soccer. If he doesn't eat the "menu" item, he has to cook for himself.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: March 23, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »
Homemade chicken noodle soup.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #722 on: March 23, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
Chef salad, more or less. With chicken and no eggs.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #723 on: March 23, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »
Just got home from a week of traveling.  It's raining.  Made chicken vegetable soup using some of a chipotle salsa paste leftover from a recipe.  Baked up the second half of a brown-and-serve baguette that's been in the freezer for a few weeks and put plenty of butter on it.  Just what I needed after eating out of hotel fridge and restaurants all week.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #724 on: March 24, 2019, 04:39:52 AM »
My DH made fish soup. Enough for two meals.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #725 on: March 24, 2019, 12:13:18 PM »
We're having chicken alfredo, but with spiralized zucchini in place of noodles. Never tried it before, so hope it's good

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #726 on: March 25, 2019, 02:19:00 PM »
We did the taco night but with something called "mexican-crumbles" it was a hit! On the side: sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream.
marinated sauteed shrimp with stir fry and rice (broccolli, carrot, red pepper, onion)
Spanokorizo with tomato puree. On the side hummus and bread.
Next day opened a can of black beans and had with the spinach/tomato rice mixture. Have enough for 1 more meal (will bring for lunch).
Last night did burgers and homemade fries. for my burger had morningstar grillers which has less of a beany taste than some.
another hit: egg-free pancakes.
For this week: Got some porcinni mushrooms and will try to make a vegan mushroom sauce for gnocchi.I forgot the vegetable broth so this may be more of a miss than a hit.   

Another miss was trying to make a "vegan" brownie by substituting more water and oil for the 2 eggs. It became an oily gooey mass, more like fudge/icing than brownie. I'm still eating it, but it definitely needs -something if I attempt again (corn starch? apple sauce? Banana? ).   

What I am relieved about, is that I am basically able to make 1 meal and modify, than what I have done in the past is make 2 separate meals. And the kids have been enjoying some of the meals.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: March 25, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
Frozen pizza and spinach salad. I will be so happy when the schedule chaos settles down and I have time to cook from scratch every day.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #728 on: March 25, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
Leftover salad followed by brownies.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: March 25, 2019, 07:49:24 PM »
Gonna hit the easy button and raid the freezer.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #730 on: March 25, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »
Today was is my only day off for the next two weeks (crazy OT at work this month).  After spending half the day getting snow tires changed over and then fixing my parent's furnace, I didn't get as much time to prep for the week as I wanted.

However, I did make kahlua pork, charro beans, and baked potatoes.  All provide plenty in the way of leftovers, along with some baked chicken breasts that are in the freezer.  Pork and noodles, pork and charro bean burritos, bbq pork on rolls, fried potatoes and sausage/bacon, chicken/salami/parm cheese sandwiches, etc.

My mom "paid" for the furnace repair in some carrots freshly dug up from the garden (where they over-wintered).  If I had more time, I'd pickle and can some, but time is in short supply right now.  So instead, I'll eat some fresh and cook some up later this week. 

I also made a large batch of lemon bars.  We rarely do dessert, but I needed to take care of some lemons before they went bad, and it just sounded good. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: March 26, 2019, 01:18:01 AM »
DH bought soya burgers. We ate them with green cale, combined with some cashew nuts and honey, and left over fresh bread with old and vinegar.

FireLane

• Bristles
« Reply #732 on: March 26, 2019, 12:11:11 PM »
Sesame noodles and chicken. I tossed udon noodles with a dressing of sesame oil, olive oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar, and sprinkled them with sesame seeds, shredded chicken and steamed broccoli. Good either hot or cold.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #733 on: March 26, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
Fried some leftover baked potatoes on a pan with frozen brocolli, then separately fried some leftover rotisserie chicken with about half a cup of stewed beans and mushrooms.

Love it when a a bunch of random leftovers makes its own new meal.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #734 on: March 26, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
Mississippi Style Pork Roast  https://belleofthekitchen.com/2018/06/29/mississippi-pulled-pork-recipe/

I've made this before with beef, and it's delicious but definitely heavy and not an all-the-time thing.  I like it best over egg noodles. 

Tonight's will be a bit improvised because I didn't have an au jus or onion soup mix -- substituted a bit of powdered chicken base, powdered garlic, paprika, dried parsley, and corn starch for thickness.  Also added some caramelized onions I had in the freezer for moisture and flavor.  And like twice as many pepperoncini because they get sooooo good during the cooking.

Dang, now I'm hungry!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #735 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
I made a skillet dinner with diced ham, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers and potatoes, and then had air-fried asparagus on the side.  Last minute concoction since I forgot to thaw stuff out.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #736 on: March 27, 2019, 01:13:52 AM »
I found some slices of leftover entrecote in the freezer that were warmed up. Ate them with lettuce, tomatoes and pickled spruce tops (made myself last spring). Combined with a leftover piece of french bread in the oven with oil and vinegar.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #737 on: March 27, 2019, 06:28:33 AM »
Last night was shrimp, red onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper sauteed in butter, olive oil, and Cajun seasoning, served over pasta.

Husband is hanging out with friends tonight. If I'm ambitious, I'll make a big pot of beans and some rice, which will also serve as my lunch for several days. If not, fried eggs and toast with a salad.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: March 27, 2019, 06:14:32 PM »
Another miss was trying to make a "vegan" brownie by substituting more water and oil for the 2 eggs. It became an oily gooey mass, more like fudge/icing than brownie. I'm still eating it, but it definitely needs -something if I attempt again (corn starch? apple sauce? Banana? ).   

Flax eggs!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #739 on: March 28, 2019, 01:10:58 AM »
Yesterday: Tortellini from a pack, with ham and cheese filling. Made a sauce of mushrooms, fresh vegetables and cream.

Tonight we will be driving, so we will just snack something we find in the grocery store.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #740 on: March 28, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
Last night was shrimp, red onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper sauteed in butter, olive oil, and Cajun seasoning, served over pasta.

Husband is hanging out with friends tonight. If I'm ambitious, I'll make a big pot of beans and some rice, which will also serve as my lunch for several days. If not, fried eggs and toast with a salad.

Here's a question. I have been eating my rice dish over several days, adding black beans. I just read that rice could have some kind of toxin or bacteria in it, that it is OK to eat the first time you eat it, and 1 more re-heating, but that's it. I was going to eat it for lunch and finish it off, but threw it out after reading this news.
Any thoughts? The main thing it sounds like, after you initially cook rice, to put it in the fridge asap versus leaving out at room temperature.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: March 28, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »

Here's a question. I have been eating my rice dish over several days, adding black beans. I just read that rice could have some kind of toxin or bacteria in it, that it is OK to eat the first time you eat it, and 1 more re-heating, but that's it. I was going to eat it for lunch and finish it off, but threw it out after reading this news.
Any thoughts? The main thing it sounds like, after you initially cook rice, to put it in the fridge asap versus leaving out at room temperature.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/food-and-diet/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning/

I've never had a problem and have been eating leftover rice my whole life. But yes, I store rice in the fridge once it's cooled enough to put it in tupperware (I don't store hot food in plastic). I also cook it in the pressure cooker so I figure that it's sterilized pretty well to start. Once it's cooked, I don't reheat the whole batch all at once; I only reheat the portion that I'm going to eat at that meal.

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »

•Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
•If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).
•Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.
•When you reheat any rice, always check the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
•Do not reheat rice more than once.

These guidelines sound pretty extreme to me. I've cooked rice, forgotten about the leftovers on the stove, and then put it in the fridge the next morning. I've also eaten rice that's been in the fridge for at least a week. Sometimes I eat it cold from the fridge.

I think guidelines for food storage and safety lean towards being extra cautious and especially so when they come from medical organizations like the nhs.

Still, good to know that this particular bacteria can be present without an odor. My general rule is that if it smells fine it must be safe but Bacillus cereus could be an exception.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #743 on: March 28, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
I've been eating from this rice dish for the past 4, 5 days and haven't gotten sick, so I don't know if I was just lucky or the rules are extra cautious.

I know when my daughter makes rice pudding, she definitely does not eat it in one setting but over the case of a few days. It makes it hard for me to know what to do in case of primarily rice-based foods, which I have always enjoyed as leftovers...

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: March 28, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
I've been eating from this rice dish for the past 4, 5 days and haven't gotten sick, so I don't know if I was just lucky or the rules are extra cautious.

I know when my daughter makes rice pudding, she definitely does not eat it in one setting but over the case of a few days. It makes it hard for me to know what to do in case of primarily rice-based foods, which I have always enjoyed as leftovers...

I vote for overly cautious. I think you'll be okay as long as you use good food safety practice. I mean, various cultures worldwide base dishes on leftover cooked rice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: March 28, 2019, 03:54:38 PM »

•Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
•If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within 1 hour).
•Keep rice in the fridge for no more than 1 day until reheating.
•When you reheat any rice, always check the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
•Do not reheat rice more than once.

These guidelines sound pretty extreme to me. I've cooked rice, forgotten about the leftovers on the stove, and then put it in the fridge the next morning. I've also eaten rice that's been in the fridge for at least a week. Sometimes I eat it cold from the fridge.

I think guidelines for food storage and safety lean towards being extra cautious and especially so when they come from medical organizations like the nhs.

Still, good to know that this particular bacteria can be present without an odor. My general rule is that if it smells fine it must be safe but Bacillus cereus could be an exception.

I have once made myself sick from rice. I had frozen a portion. But before eating it, instead of putting it frozen in the microwave like usually, I left it to thaw in the fridge. Then I ate it 2 days later, instead of one day.
That evening I went on multiple day ski trip in the forest, with outside dry toilet. I spend a lot of the evening there on the first and second night. Washing hands in the snow. I couldn't eat food either, no appitite.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #746 on: March 28, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
Does any one have a good fish soup recipe? 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #747 on: March 28, 2019, 07:57:17 PM »
Carnitas salads. The kids had them in tortillas

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #748 on: March 29, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
Does any one have a good fish soup recipe?

Google Bouillabaisse. Typical ingredients are orange peel and fennel. We often use lobster soup as a basis. We also add saffran. The French eat this soup with the fish and crayfish prepared separately, fried. Then on your plate, you pour some soup over the fish. This way the fish is not overcooked. We also make rouille, which is nice on French bread or into the soup.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #749 on: March 29, 2019, 09:13:02 AM »
We are at the cabin. We bought a pack of 3 chicken breasts. Half will be eaten with broccoli and sweet potato. The other one with pepper, spring onion, tomato saus, porcini mushroom and pasta. We also got a pack of bacon slices that me go with eggs as a lunch, or in the pasta. And I got a pack of sour milk that I want to make waffle of.