Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 959310 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3050 on: January 24, 2021, 05:21:15 AM »
Here is another eggplant recipe that I made recently and is so easy and will be on my menu much more often due to how easy it is to make. I also added Panko bread crumbs to the cheese and tossed it together before adding to the top of the eggplant. Gave it a a little crunch factor.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/eggplant-parmesan-boats-9608094

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3051 on: January 24, 2021, 10:11:52 AM »
Big pot of minestrone soup.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3052 on: January 24, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »
Crockpot sesame beef, and basmati rice. I've never made the beef before, so fingers crossed it turns out well. It couldn't have been any easier, so that's a big plus.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3053 on: January 24, 2021, 05:58:57 PM »
Squash and sausage - I make it with a bunch of fresh rosemary from the yard (https://kalynskitchen.com/recipe-for-roasted-winter-squash-and/).  A winter favorite - my go-to when I get acorn squash.  No sides planned, so I'll probably eat it over spinach.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3054 on: January 25, 2021, 04:16:07 PM »
Chicken enchiladas and a Mexican slaw.  Local grocery stores have been out of diced green chiles for a while now, not sure why.  So I substituted a roasted poblano pepper (probably should have done 2 or 3).

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3055 on: January 25, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
Chicken breast and red beets.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3056 on: January 25, 2021, 05:29:15 PM »
Quinoa and veggie stew

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #3057 on: January 25, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
Butter chicken, Indian spiced lentils, basmati rice and naan.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3058 on: January 25, 2021, 09:16:12 PM »
I was seriously craving carbs tonight.  So pasta with vodka sauce was very satisfying.  Served with leftover roasted brussels and a salad on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3059 on: January 26, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »
Tonight we're having a creamy chicken parmesan dish (leftovers). Will serve over pasta for the teens, and likely over cauliflower rice for those of us wi

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3060 on: January 26, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
Stupid roasted cauliflower and potato soup that took forever to make and tastes like nothing. I fixed it, but I'm not thrilled.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3061 on: January 26, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »
you should try habaneros, they really help kick up soups and stews!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3062 on: January 26, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »
at least I read that somewhere online, idk where

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3063 on: January 26, 2021, 01:16:32 PM »
you should try habaneros, they really help kick up soups and stews!

The soup needed flavour, not really heat. I added smoked paprika, apple cider vinegar, a bunch of salt, and cumin.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3064 on: January 26, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
Last night - the last of our frozen fish, some leftover veggies, and leftover rice.

Tonight - baguette from the freezer, fruit, cheese, and salami (our favorite toddler-friendly meal!)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3065 on: January 26, 2021, 01:38:03 PM »
Flounder, sprinkled with flour and plain breadcrumbs, black pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Margarine in bottom of dish and also dabbed on top. If I remember (and I never do) I will add some lemon juice at the end. Baked in open dish at 350 for about 15 minutes.   

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3066 on: January 26, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3067 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:10 PM »
Random casserole based on an old turkey tetrazzini recipe, with pasta, leftover rotisserie chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and garlic sauteed in butter with sherry, and havarti cheese in white sauce.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3068 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:22 AM »
Random casserole based on an old turkey tetrazzini recipe, with pasta, leftover rotisserie chicken, broccoli, mushrooms and garlic sauteed in butter with sherry, and havarti cheese in white sauce.

That sounds delicious!

Last night we made fresh pasta, with a sauce of slow cooked onions/crushed tomatoes/oregano, garlic, red pepper with spinach thrown in at the last minute. Served with cut up mozzarella balls and some grated asiago.

Today I'm taking an older friend ~an hour away to get her second COVID vaccine shot, and she's sending us home with a giant meat lasagne from one of the most awesome bakeries in town. We'll make a salad, just for completeness sake.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3069 on: January 28, 2021, 04:30:51 PM »
Sautéed broccoli rabe sandwich with gruyere (well, a wrap to use up the last tortilla) and a side salad.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3070 on: January 28, 2021, 05:04:44 PM »
Beyond burgers with sweet potato fries. I'm going to do a blind taste test on my husband between name brand and generic mayo for fry dipping. He insists the name brand is noticeably better, but I'm skeptical.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3071 on: January 28, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
@sui generis - you party animal! ;-) That's something I'd do at my house.

Tonight we had leftover sesame beef with rice. I wasn't impressed with the flavor on day one, so tonight I added hoisin sauce, sriracha, & soy sauce. It was definitely better, but I'll be on the lookout for a better recipe.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3072 on: January 28, 2021, 10:41:43 PM »
It did turn out to be pretty wild! DH couldn't tell the difference and was valiantly honest about it.... But then I tried them and realized I *could* tell the difference and I'm the one that likes the name brand better now. Whoa!!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3073 on: January 28, 2021, 10:57:36 PM »
It did turn out to be pretty wild! DH couldn't tell the difference and was valiantly honest about it.... But then I tried them and realized I *could* tell the difference and I'm the one that likes the name brand better now. Whoa!!

I've totally ruined myself for regular mayonnaise... after getting a jar of Hellman's that didn't taste right (kind of ... fishy? it must have been rancid or something) I couldn't stand to buy it again and ended up getting Sir Kensington's on sale for the usual Hellman's price instead. It was so much better. Now I'm a horrible mayonnaise snob and sometimes I even make my own homemade from scratch so I can make it even more flavorful. Sigh.

Dinner tonight: a pleasingly kickass stovetop mac and cheese with peas and whole wheat pasta. I caught a good cheese sale last week so I needed to make a cheese-centric recipe. I subbed a little schmaltz and chicken stock from a chicken I roasted earlier in the week for some of the butter and milk, and it added a really rich, savory flavor to the sauce.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3074 on: January 29, 2021, 04:14:46 AM »
I have a bunch of random vegetables, cheeses, and meats to use up so lasagna night it is!

Interesting discussion about the mayonnaise!  I never thought it mattered until I tried Dukes recently and my eyes were opened.  Miles better than the store brand alternatives. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3075 on: January 29, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »

Love this update. I've had homemade aioli, but never a different brand of mayo (Best Foods is what we have on hand). Maybe I shouldn't try it! I'll get spoiled.

We're having mango chicken tacos tonight, cooked by my 13 year old.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3076 on: January 29, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »
If you have an immersion blender, homemade mayo is stupid easy and way, way better than any storebought brands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7kYiEB4ogY

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3077 on: January 29, 2021, 08:43:54 AM »
Interesting about the mayonnaise! I usually just buy Hellman’s or the Aldi equivalent but might need to branch out and see (taste?) what I’m missing.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3078 on: January 29, 2021, 08:57:02 AM »
You can also throw in a clove or two of garlic when blending it for really good garlic mayo (or call it garlic aioli? not sure what the difference is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3079 on: January 29, 2021, 10:16:53 AM »
I will say that I didn't think the name brand was *enough* better for me to be a committed buyer now... It was a head-to-head test and I liked it better, but if I were just eating one I'd be fine with either.

However! In further mayo drama, DH subsequently noticed the name brand (it was Best Foods, aka Hellman's) advertised that it was sold in a recycled container and the generic is not. And, given how little use recycled plastic has nowadays, we both decided that was actually a big deal and worth the extra $1 or so.

But that's another angle where homemade would beat store bought, since I'd just use a pre-existing container over and over.

Tonight is pizza. Cheesy broccoli, margarita and arugula/olive/feta are on tap.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3080 on: January 29, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
I have made mayonnaise before, but I don't use enough of it to justify making it instead of keeping a jar on hand that lasts longer.

Tonight is turkey chili.  Haven't decided on sides - either spinach salad, or cauliflower and sweet potatoes.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3081 on: January 29, 2021, 12:23:10 PM »
Laughing at this mayo discussion! I've made my own often enough, but sometimes don't use it in time, so I switched to Chosen Foods brand from CostCo, since it is made with avocado oil instead of canola or soy. A week or two ago DH bought a big jar of Best Foods so he could have his own mayo although he rarely uses it for anything (I usually use it for egg salad or tuna salad). I've tried Sir Kensington's and found it to have a weird off-putting sweetness; not sure what that is about. Now CostCo is carrying Primal Kitchen instead of Chosen Foods and it's OK, but Chosen tastes way better, IMO. Perhaps I'll go back to making it.

Tonight I'm planning on a tofu stirfry with bok choy, mushrooms, peanut sauce and kelp noodles. Tomorrow will be roast chicken since I grabbed a marked down whole chicken this morning and the sell by date is tomorrow. We'll have a big salad on the side, and possibly some fingerling potatoes.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3082 on: January 29, 2021, 02:36:52 PM »
I made homemade mayo a couple of times, but we don't wat it frequent enough. When we would eat the remainder maybe a week later after storing it in the fridge, we got stomach trouble. So homemade mayo expires fast. And in our kitchen machine that time, it was difficult to make a very small portion. So I stopped making it. It might work out if you use it up in one go, or the next day.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3083 on: January 29, 2021, 06:09:53 PM »
Leftover jambalaya served over rice.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3084 on: January 29, 2021, 08:16:10 PM »
We make homemade aioli at least once a year for a "grand aioli", which is a big bowl of aioli and round about a million things that you can dip into it. It's a fantastic picnic, or outdoor summer meal.

Tonight, because I was feeling uninspired, we had the Smitten Kitchen lentil, sausage, and kale soup (except with frozen spinach, because I'm out of frozen kale, and only whole foods seems to sell it around here.) With homemade croutons, from a loaf of homemade bread.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3085 on: January 30, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
We make homemade aioli at least once a year for a "grand aioli", which is a big bowl of aioli and round about a million things that you can dip into it. It's a fantastic picnic, or outdoor summer meal.

I love doing that in the summer! A big enough platter makes for grazing dinners for a few nights when it's too hot to cook. Can't seem to find the recipe now, but I've also made a dip with canned tuna which is tasty and adds some protein.

For small batch mayo, I just discard a small bit of the white from one egg, and then use a squeeze of lemon or small bit of vinegar then blend in the oil until I like the consistency. This usually results in about a cup of mayo. It seems to keep well for a week, but after that I get suspicious and throw out any leftover.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3086 on: January 30, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »
We didn't get to the mango chicken tacos yesterday, so we'll have those tonight

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3087 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:51 AM »
For small batch mayo, I just discard a small bit of the white from one egg, and then use a squeeze of lemon or small bit of vinegar then blend in the oil until I like the consistency. This usually results in about a cup of mayo. It seems to keep well for a week, but after that I get suspicious and throw out any leftover.

The New York Times had a recipe that I jotted down at some point for ~1 cup of mayo - it works pretty well. My issue with storebought mayonnaise is that it is usually too bland and tastes mainly of whatever cheap industrial oil they use, so I make a homemade version based on that recipe with extra vinegar (or pickle brine), extra mustard, salt, pepper, etc. to give it more of a flavor punch.

I only do homemade if I'm going to make something like chicken salad or potato salad that uses a bunch of it up at once, I live alone so I don't go through mayo quickly enough otherwise.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3088 on: January 30, 2021, 01:58:49 PM »

That’s such a great summer meal when it’s too hot to cook or eat anything warm.

I am completely uninspired today. Maybe it’s time for a stuck-pot lentils and rice dinner, with big green salads on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3089 on: January 30, 2021, 08:44:34 PM »
https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/01/stromboli/, which is actually scaccia (We added a few layers of cured meat: salami, prosciutto...). We actually made two, so we'll have leftovers to take for a backcountry ski next Sunday (we were thinking we'd go tomorrow, but we'd all prefer to sleep in this week, as we got up at 5:30 and went last week, and there will be more snow next week). I have several slices bagged up and cooling off before I toss them in the freezer, as there's not a snowball's chance in hell we'd have leftovers for that long otherwise. As it is, I'll be hiding them in the far back of the freezer, so they're not obvious to the ravenous hordes.

And a salad.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3090 on: January 31, 2021, 03:53:20 AM »
Roast lamb.  Although I think it was hogget.  Lamb is up to 18 months old.  Hogget is 18 to 30 months old.  Hogget tastes better, so we were happy.

Now we have left overs for lunches and for wraps for the next week.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3091 on: January 31, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »
goose, red cabbage & mashed potatoes.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3092 on: January 31, 2021, 12:17:05 PM »
Bread (leftover french loaf in the freezer from last week), cheese (to use up various cheeses in the fridge), veggies, and avocado hummus.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #3093 on: February 01, 2021, 07:15:57 AM »
Homemade meatballs and sauce with spaghetti and breadsticks from scratch.  I'm so excited and looking forward to scratching my baking/cooking itch. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3094 on: February 01, 2021, 07:25:54 AM »
Today I'm batch cooking:
Vegan coconut lentil soup
One pot black bean fajita pasta
Vegan pumpkin man n cheese
Potato and Kale Rosti

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3095 on: February 01, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »
Tonight we had two fish cakes each, plus a salad.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3096 on: February 01, 2021, 04:54:12 PM »
Oven baked chicken breast topped with mayo and parmesan cheese, with steamed broccoli and rice.   

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3097 on: February 01, 2021, 05:56:02 PM »
We're having pork taquitos

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3098 on: February 01, 2021, 06:45:22 PM »
Polenta, with a sauce of garlic, tomatoes, and a cauliflower chopped up. Served with grated romano and quartered leftover little mozzarella balls.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3099 on: February 02, 2021, 10:23:49 AM »
I think tonight is going to be cheeseburger cups (canned biscuit dough filled with ground beef and cheese).  I made portobello linguine last night and it was...not a hit...with the kiddo. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!