Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 64991 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #950 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »
Had a leftover whole chicken with not a lot of meat left on it, plus expired-but-fine sour cream, and a bunch of broccoli.  Weather turned rainy and cooler today, so cream of chicken/broccoli soup with some mushrooms, homegrown green chile and homemade stock.  Yum, we ate all of it.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #951 on: May 16, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »
It has been a while but I am making black-eye peas tonight maybe with hog jowl (or bacon).  I soaked them overnight and when I get home will plan how I will season them.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #952 on: May 16, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
DH made veggie burgers and I had to cook them. I managed to burn them on one side, so I had to cut of about 1/3 of one side. They tasted okay. I served salad with it (lettuce with a few leaves of selfpicked plant, tomato and olives). And potatochips panfried.

And I baked an apple pie from leftover apples from work.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #953 on: May 16, 2019, 12:20:22 PM »
Just left over black beans and rice.  Been too beat to cook so it's been just that and peanut butter sandwiches all week.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: May 16, 2019, 01:44:30 PM »
We have to be at a school thing 7-9, so I'm making... well, I want panzanella, but everyone else would prefer warm pasta. So I'm probably roasting cauliflower and asparagus, and mixing in mozzarella balls and roasted (jarred) red peppers, maybe some slightly marinated red onions and thinly sliced celery.

Then I'm mixing mine with toasted bread cubes, and everyone else's with (pasta) shells. I get vinaigrette on mine. They get olive oil, I guess. Maybe some pesto from the freezer.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #955 on: May 16, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
So, I rarely make anything anymore, 'cuz I"m the one who gets home late.

But yesterday (well yeah, I got home late) - I gathered up bits and pieces of things:
frozen cooked lentils
frozen diced canned tomatoes

and some bits of veg in the fridge that I chopped and put into a container:
onion
green garlic
carrots
celery (frozen)
zucchini
chives
cilantro

I wrote a "recipe" (ahem, it was a purple sticky note) and left it for my husband.  I was going to mix up spices but found I had leftover Berbere spices in a container. 

It was a delicious soup.
Leftovers tonight!

I ate it with homemade gluten free bread made with cheddar, chives, and buttermilk.

I need to also cook up the artichokes tonight.  Hubs doesn't like them so he doesn't cook them when they come in our CSA.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: May 16, 2019, 02:29:19 PM »
I just looked in the fridge and spotted
-leftover pulled pork from Tuesday
-leftover potato salad from Tuesday
-leftover chicken from last night
-leftover rice from yesterday
-leftover Thai noodles from yesterday's lunch
-a container of salad mix that needs to be eaten in the next couple of days
-bread, deli meats, and various accoutrements for sandwiches

I'm exhausted today from allergies + meds, so the prospect of a no-cook random leftover meal is wonderful. Mmm, potato salad.

John Galt incarnate!

• Bristles
« Reply #957 on: May 16, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »
Tonight we had a huge bowl of chicken soup w/saltines.

It was so thick that  maybe it was chicken stew.

Of course it was homemade.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #958 on: May 16, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »
Brats with homemade sauerkraut and cabbage roasted with bacon grease.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #959 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:54 AM »
Made stuff Pork chops and grilled them, Broccoli and cheesy shells for a side. Was a good dinner.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #960 on: May 17, 2019, 01:47:06 PM »
Made stuff Pork chops and grilled them, Broccoli and cheesy shells for a side. Was a good dinner.

Sounds great!

We're having grilled pork chops, roasted brussels sprouts, maybe salad (we have a bunch of salad veg that need to be used) and stuck-pot rice with lentils (thanks @OtherJen !)

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #961 on: May 17, 2019, 02:15:44 PM »

Sounds great!

We're having grilled pork chops, roasted brussels sprouts, maybe salad (we have a bunch of salad veg that need to be used) and stuck-pot rice with lentils (thanks @OtherJen !)

Careful, @jeninco , you might become slightly obsessed with the stuck-pot rice and make it so many times that your spouse (who loves rice) starts rolling his eyes. Ask me how I know.

Also, I found it helpful to boil everything for a few minutes longer than recommended. Definitely wrap the underside of the pot lid with a tea towel, and add a little extra oil to the pot after you remove the onions.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #962 on: May 18, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »

@horsepoor
I recently made a batch of sauerkraut as well, but of sea kale. It still needs to ferment for 6 weeks before we can eat it.

I read about the risk of botulism. Are you aware of that? If can appear in food that you ferment yourself at home, especially if it stands at warmer than refridgerating temperatures. If you before eating it warm the food for 10 minutes at cooking temperatures (100C), your food should be safe to eat.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #963 on: May 19, 2019, 09:41:18 AM »

@horsepoor
I recently made a batch of sauerkraut as well, but of sea kale. It still needs to ferment for 6 weeks before we can eat it.

I read about the risk of botulism. Are you aware of that? If can appear in food that you ferment yourself at home, especially if it stands at warmer than refridgerating temperatures. If you before eating it warm the food for 10 minutes at cooking temperatures (100C), your food should be safe to eat.

My understanding is that foodborn pathogens aren't an issue if the fermented food is adequately acidified.  Referring to Sandor Katz's encyclopedic book The Art of Fermentation, botulism is associated with ferments that are subsequently canned, and also with garlic preserved in oil, and potentially with meats.  I have been fermenting for several years now, and just store in the fridge once the fermentation process is complete, and keep everything submerged in brine, which controls for mold development.  Heating before eating would kill the beneficial probiotics, so I usually avoid that.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: May 19, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
Black beans with leftover smoked pork shoulder
Brown rice

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #965 on: May 19, 2019, 04:33:10 PM »
A healthy tuna salad (no mayo, add olive oil, chickpeas, garlic, assorted veggies, and in this case, curry) with store brand Triscuits.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #966 on: May 19, 2019, 10:58:49 PM »
Yesterday, small meat balls with wild herbs as spices. Together with green aspargus and a potato salad.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #967 on: May 20, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
Snagged some spicy sausages at $3/pound which I'm going to fry for a bit and then stew in some leftover homemade marinara sauce I have to put over pasta

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #968 on: May 20, 2019, 04:22:59 PM »
We're having leftovers. We had guests this weekend, & I was running a half marathon out of town + my husband was traveling. So, Uber eats. We'll eat the leftovers for at least two meals. Still not frugal, but sometimes things get away from you.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #969 on: May 20, 2019, 04:26:09 PM »
Some variant of quick pasta with chickpeas: https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/quick-pasta-and-chickpeas-pasta-e-ceci/. Probably with roasted cauliflower.

As it is currently raining, and forecasted to be snowing tonight. Can it be spring already sometime? I guess I'd better go out again and cover the tomato plants back up...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #970 on: May 21, 2019, 12:58:18 AM »
Cod fillets
Sea kale broccoli (first try, no idea how it tastes) and some other edible plants.
Curry ingredients
Rice
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:16:15 AM by Linea_Norway »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #971 on: May 23, 2019, 02:47:01 AM »
Yesterday I had to make an old basic- Rump roast in the slow cooker, mashed potatoes and green beans. But always good.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #972 on: May 23, 2019, 05:59:43 AM »
Tonight will be honey mustard chicken and vegetables and stuff, but I'm taking advantage of the oven already being on to make a very knock off version of char siu in advance of making Singapore noodles later this week in my attempt at trying new recipes. Hopefully it turns out good.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #973 on: May 23, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
The kid who is having his last day of school today has requested shrimp baja salad. In spite of the fact that it is now 50 degrees F and looks like it'll resume raining at any moment.

Perhaps we'll make a dessert to go with it, and to have something warm.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #974 on: May 23, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: May 24, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »
I'm making pepperoni pizza for the kids. My husband will have chicken with sauteed spinach. I'll have salad with grilled chicken. We normally don't make three separate meals, but we are eating up leftovers & dealing with dietary issues.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: May 24, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
Something fancier than normal for our anniversary. Husband suggested filet mignon on the charcoal grill, but weíll see what looks good at the butcher shop.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #977 on: May 24, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »
Something fancier than normal for our anniversary. Husband suggested filet mignon on the charcoal grill, but weíll see what looks good at the butcher shop.

Happy Anniversary!

We're having beef and broccoli stir-fry, with rice (or rice noodles, who knows).
Tomorrow we're having a dessert party for the neighborhood (a pair of our neighbors are leaving Monday to spend the summer biking across the US) and I'm thinking about how to accommodate a pair of vegans, at least one or two neighbors who are taking it easy on sugar this month, and at least one paleo eater. Fortunately we're looking at 18 or so people (some of whom will bring things), so I don't have to meet everyone's needs in a single dish, just to get organized enough to provide something for everyone. Also fortunately, berries are on sale this week...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: May 24, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
@jeninco - if it's just dessert, I'd recommend perhaps anchoring around the berries. Get a bunch of nice fresh berries, ice cream, make/buy an angel food cake, and make whipping cream. People can add as much or as little as they want, sticking to just berries, or going all in with angel food cake, ice cream, etc.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #979 on: May 24, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
@jeninco - if it's just dessert, I'd recommend perhaps anchoring around the berries. Get a bunch of nice fresh berries, ice cream, make/buy an angel food cake, and make whipping cream. People can add as much or as little as they want, sticking to just berries, or going all in with angel food cake, ice cream, etc.

Seconded. Since I usually canít eat the cake, I would love the option to serve myself a big pile of berries and cream or play with a sundae bar. Non-dairy ice cream may be a nice option.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #980 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
One of favorites...Build your own taco/Burrito night with just about anything you can think of !

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #981 on: May 24, 2019, 04:44:11 PM »
Either pesto pasta or a frozen pizza, depending on what husband decides he wants. He's building a rock wall the old fashioned way (digging them out of the ground and stacking them up), so he gets to decide  because he needs the calories . Either way, spinach salad with it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:08:04 PM by Rural »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #982 on: May 25, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
DH caught a pretty big trout yesterday. We ate one side, with asparagus that the local shop sold cheaply and potatoes. I use found herbs one the fish and the potatoes.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #983 on: May 26, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
DH caught a pretty big trout yesterday. We ate one side, with asparagus that the local shop sold cheaply and potatoes. I use found herbs one the fish and the potatoes.

I wish I liked fish!  Lots of salmon, trout, sturgeon, etc to be caught around here...

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #984 on: May 26, 2019, 08:18:30 AM »
I've been sick since I came home from an overseas vacation (over two weeks now), so dinners have been extremely simple, if I even make any (my son can fend for himself).

I'm at work today, so during the downtime I am going to make a batch of refried beans in the instant pot (one of the coworkers brought one in to leave here, so I don't have to lug my own around anymore). 

I'm also going to attempt my hand at some crispbread.  I brought some home as a souvenir (came back with a checked bag so I could buy lots of food stuffs).  The one I bought had only four ingredients-- "wholemeal" (rye), water, salt, and yeast.  I've found a lot of recipes that mix rye and wheat flours, but my son wants an all-rye duplicate.  Found one recipe.  We'll see how it goes!  I'm going to end up with some hard cracker-like flat bricks one of two types-- edible or non-edible.  I even have the deep-notch rolling pin to make it as "authentic" as possible.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #985 on: May 26, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
My co-worker has started raising KuneKune Pigs on his hobby farm, and supplied us with a ~2.5# picnic roast so we can decide if we'd like to buy a half pig.  I'm thinking of cooking it sous vide with some herbs (maybe fresh rosemary and tarragon) and then giving it a quick sear on the grill.  Alongside, I'm thinking homegrown French breakfast radishes sauteed in butter, and braised collards with onions and some of the radish greens.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: May 26, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
Grilled salmon. Probably with sides of stuck-pot rice+lentils and sauteed zucchini with orange bell pepper.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #987 on: May 26, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
Chili with a combination of ground beef and leftover slow-cooked beef that I froze a few weeks ago with a lot of (very beefy) liquid. Anasazi beans, in an attempt to cut down on the flatulence around here (they're supposed to be less potent then pinto beans.) Salad, cheese, the last of the yummy corn tortillas.

My husband decided he was going to take grilled vegetable/provolone/tapenade sandwiches this week, so I sent him out to the grill with eggplants, yellow and zucchini squash, red peppers, and mushrooms to get that part taken care of.

The party last night: made vegan chocolate cake with not-exactly-buttercream frosting, (non-vegan) carrot cake, a phyllo-and-spring fruit pie that I adore (which was vegan), a big bowl of berries and whipped cream, and someone else brought coconut cream (I asked him to) and a vegan coconut-chocolate mousse pie, which was fantastic. Someone else brought ice cream. The idea was very popular, but we actually had too much leftovers.  And the wacky-cake-based chocolate cake was really too sweet, as was the frosting.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #988 on: May 26, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
Pasta with asparagus and oven-dried tomatoes: https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/05/bow-tie-pasta-with-oven-dried-tomatoes/

It was fine, but not worth taking 3.5 hours to slow-roast tomatoes. On the other hand, it used up a bunch of asparagus I had hanging around. I'm trying to use up things in the fridge--I'm leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: May 26, 2019, 11:56:39 PM »
Yesterday hamburgers with fried mushrooms, pepper and spring onion. Served on a slice of bread. We drove home from our cabin for 5 hours. DH wanted to buy a hamburger on the road, I suggested to wait until we were home, which we did.

Tonight veggie: something with cauliflower and yellow cheese, served with vegetable burgers.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #990 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:59 AM »
Had people over for memorial grilling. I made hamburgers, hotdogs, slaw, corn, and jello with fruit. Friends brought over really delicious sirloin and veggie kabobs, bratwurst and sides a Cuban  Lima bean and rice dish, tortilla espana, and pineapple cake. Drinks were variety of beers and rose wine, coke, sparkling waters.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: May 27, 2019, 07:48:06 AM »
Weíre planning on grilled burgers, chips, and whatever salad my mom brings. I owe my husband a birthday cake, so hopefully Iíll get that baked in time for dessert.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #992 on: May 27, 2019, 07:57:18 AM »
Last night was a total fail. I've come down with something nasty. I quit working on the flip house, went home early and fell into bed. Hours later, DH stopped for Pad Thai on his way home. When the cook is sick, and the chief worker on the flip project has the next week off from work to get things done on the project, it seems prudent to let someone else cook to minimize the potential spread of germs. I didn't see the bill, but I'm assuming it was $50 for four orders. Money well spent, under the circumstances.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #993 on: May 27, 2019, 09:42:07 AM »
I have a shoulder injury. I'm supposed to rest my shoulder, but I'm resting it as much as I should. I told the kids we are eating leftovers, or simple food on paper plates this week, so I give my arm a rest

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #994 on: May 27, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »
I tried to approximate a dish that I like at our local tapas place - "mushroom corncake." Basically polenta with mushrooms and gorgonzola sauce and possibly other things that I'm forgetting right now. Anyway, didn't use a recipe - cooked cornmeal in some veg broth, fried it (this was kind of a fail because it fell apart instead of forming cakes, but it tasted OK), topped with mushrooms sauteed in a little butter with garlic and thyme from the garden, and a sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles that I had on hand. Not bad!

I also threw together corn/tomato/avocado salad; basically what it says on the tin, tossed with a little lemon juice and dijon mustard.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: May 27, 2019, 11:50:26 PM »
Tonight I need to go to the city for a walk, at dinner time. It is at least 1,5 hour travel, so I won't have time to eat dinner. I will buy a lunch at work today and eat sandwiches in the train tonight.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #996 on: May 28, 2019, 06:52:18 AM »
I think Budget Bytesí Easy Oven Fajitas so the bell peppers in my fridge donít go to waste.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #997 on: May 28, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
Giant container of organic spinach on clearance today, so big salads.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: May 28, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/sausage-and-potato-roast-with-arugula/

Not particularly "mustachian", but YUM! And it's pretty fast and easy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #999 on: May 29, 2019, 12:30:29 AM »
No idea, but we are out of fresh vegetables. So tonight we will need to eat something out of the stuffed freezer.