Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 979309 times)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3450 on: October 11, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
Ha, we've been eating a steady diet of apple crisp, as there are a ton of wonderful apples hanging from all the trees in our neighborhood (for clarity, we have permission to pick from several of our favorite trees, as our neighbors are sick of the whole situation). I've been making one more crisp about every 3-4 days...

Tonight: I dunno. Stuffed eggplant parmesan, maybe, if I can locate a bit of Italian sausage in the disaster that is our freezer. (It's just rather full: we recently took ownership of another quarter steer...)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3451 on: October 11, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »
A farro salad with roasted tomatoes and a bit of cheese and pesto.

I dream of apple crisps, but I don't think I can be trusted with them. All our apples are going into gallons of applesauce. But maybe we could do just one apple crisp!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #3452 on: October 11, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
Chili cheese fries! Last night I bastardized America's Test Kitchen's good chili recipe and their easy chili recipe and it came out pretty easy and pretty good. Tonight, I put it on fries!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3453 on: October 11, 2021, 03:53:12 PM »
A farro salad with roasted tomatoes and a bit of cheese and pesto.

I dream of apple crisps, but I don't think I can be trusted with them. All our apples are going into gallons of applesauce. But maybe we could do just one apple crisp!

I filled and processed all the quart jars we had in the house (I may do one more batch and fill up the now-empties and the wide-mouth pints) and officially decided I was finished with applesauce. Our crisp is a baking dish full of cut-up apples topped with a mixture of maybe 4 Tb butter in 2/3 - 3/4 cup brown sugar, a bunch of rolled oats, and some chopped walnuts (and some spices).  It's pretty healthy, and that baking dish has a lid, so it's easy to put away in the fridge.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3454 on: October 11, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
I made baked acorn squash halves stuffed with a sauteed mixture of ground turkey, lentils, and mirepoix seasoned with garlic, sage, marjoram, and smoked paprika. Added a bit of shredded parmesan to each, stuck them under the broiler for a couple of minutes, and enjoyed my autumnal dinner.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #3455 on: October 12, 2021, 09:58:59 AM »
I did a hearty pumpkin-lentil chili with green chili cornbread last night. I think I'll go light tonight, and do garlic parmesan shrimp with spaghetti squash "noodles." Maybe a slice of sourdough on the side.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3456 on: October 12, 2021, 10:01:16 AM »
Tonight will be soup & homemade bread. Tomato soup for some, and butternut squash for others.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3457 on: October 12, 2021, 10:25:15 AM »
I'm going to try a Buffalo chicken pasta.  Basically it's just chicken and a creamy blue cheese sauce over noodles with a hot sauce that can be poured over it before you eat it. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3458 on: October 12, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »
I bought a pack of cold-smoked salmon, so I'll make up some sushi rice for sushi rolls.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3459 on: October 12, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
Maple baked beans tonight!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3460 on: October 12, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »
The temp here dropped rather abruptly, and it's been mostly cloudy and drizzly most of the day. (Now it's thunder-hailing.) So we're having soup of whatever I scraped together (onions, a little diced salami, a small eggplant, white beans, crushed tomatoes, and some cabbage added at the end) and freshly made focaccia.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3461 on: October 12, 2021, 07:16:52 PM »
Vietnamese style noodles with shiitake and mustard greens.  Also roasted broccoli with garlic on the side.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3462 on: October 13, 2021, 08:06:04 AM »
I made baked acorn squash halves stuffed with a sauteed mixture of ground turkey, lentils, and mirepoix seasoned with garlic, sage, marjoram, and smoked paprika. Added a bit of shredded parmesan to each, stuck them under the broiler for a couple of minutes, and enjoyed my autumnal dinner.

That sounds good!
How long did you bake the squash first, and did you cut it in half first?
I have two smallish yellow squash from a CSA and I'd like to make this for my girlfriend on Thursday. I'm not sure what kind of squash they are actually. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3463 on: October 13, 2021, 08:11:25 AM »
I think we'll have tacos tonight. I have tacos el pastor meat in the freezer. I'll serve it with a cauliflower/cabbage rice combo, with plenty of spice added.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3464 on: October 13, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »

That sounds good!
I have two smallish yellow squash from a CSA and I'd like to make this for my girlfriend on Thursday. I'm not sure what kind of squash they are actually.

I did cut the squash in half first, scooped out the seeds, and baked the halves cut side-down on a baking sheet at 400°F for about 40 minutes. Then I flipped them over, filled the cavities with the cooked turkey-lentil filling (sauteed while the squash was baking so everything would be hot), added cheese, and broiled just until the cheese was brown. A lb. of ground turkey and about 1.5 cups of cooked lentils made enough to fill 6 squash halves. I only had 4 halves, but some of the leftover filling was delicious on a baked potato for breakfast this morning.

You might have delicata squash, which would also work well in this recipe. Because those are usually a bit less meaty (for lack of a better word) than acorn squash, maybe start checking the halves for softness after 25-30 minutes of baking. If a fork can be inserted easily or the squash gives under gentle pressure, it's done.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3465 on: October 13, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »

That sounds good!

I did cut the squash in half first, scooped out the seeds, and baked the halves cut side-down on a baking sheet at 400°F for about 40 minutes. Then I flipped them over, filled the cavities with the cooked turkey-lentil filling (sauteed while the squash was baking so everything would be hot), added cheese, and broiled just until the cheese was brown. A lb. of ground turkey and about 1.5 cups of cooked lentils made enough to fill 6 squash halves. I only had 4 halves, but some of the leftover filling was delicious on a baked potato for breakfast this morning.

You might have delicata squash, which would also work well in this recipe. Because those are usually a bit less meaty (for lack of a better word) than acorn squash, maybe start checking the halves for softness after 25-30 minutes of baking. If a fork can be inserted easily or the squash gives under gentle pressure, it's done.
Thank you!

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3466 on: October 13, 2021, 09:33:40 AM »
It's rainy and I'm not motivated. I think I'll do a simple pea risotto and mix in some seitan sausages I made and froze last week. If I find some motivation, I'll use the sausage to make some stuffed mushrooms to accompany instead.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3467 on: October 15, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
Corned beef hash with egg on top. Am kinda on a kick with it lately, I had it growing up and liked it, but never ate it once I moved out. Was reminded of it when mom made it for dinner. So am adding it into the rotation.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3468 on: October 16, 2021, 06:41:40 AM »

That sounds good!

Thank you!

I figured out I had spaghetti squash, 30 min at 400* was perfect.
I sauteed a mix of roasted cubanelle peppers from a CSA, pork breakfast sausage, dry roasted walnuts I did on the stove top, garlic, and topped with parmesan- it was good, thanks for the idea!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3469 on: October 16, 2021, 07:09:20 AM »

That sounds good!

Thank you!

I figured out I had spaghetti squash, 30 min at 400* was perfect.
I sauteed a mix of roasted cubanelle peppers from a CSA, pork breakfast sausage, dry roasted walnuts I did on the stove top, garlic, and topped with parmesan- it was good, thanks for the idea!

You’re welcome! Sausage and walnuts sounds like a tasty combo. I love spaghetti squash; it’s so versatile.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3470 on: October 16, 2021, 07:11:34 AM »
I had planned to make brisket chili last night. Husband accidentally thawed the packet of leftover smoked pork shoulder instead of brisket, so we actually had pork shoulder chili with black and kidney beans. It was a happy mistake.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3471 on: October 16, 2021, 08:20:29 AM »
We're having Korean beef rice bowls, with quick pickled cucumber.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3472 on: October 16, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
Corned beef hash with egg on top. Am kinda on a kick with it lately, I had it growing up and liked it, but never ate it once I moved out. Was reminded of it when mom made it for dinner. So am adding it into the rotation.

What is corned beef hash? For that matter, what is corned beef?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3473 on: October 16, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3474 on: October 16, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »

Yeah, that isn't very clear to me. Is it closer to regular brisket or closer to smoked meat?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3475 on: October 16, 2021, 03:57:30 PM »
About to chop up some lemongrass for green curry for tonight.  I love fresh lemongrass!

This might be weird, but we're going to serve it with baked acorn squash (parmesan, thyme, rosemary type toppings).  Everyone mixes foods and cuisines like that, right?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3476 on: October 16, 2021, 04:01:44 PM »

Yeah, that isn't very clear to me. Is it closer to regular brisket or closer to smoked meat?

Neither. It isn’t smoked, but it isn’t like braised brisket. Maybe someone else can be more clear.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #3477 on: October 16, 2021, 06:12:36 PM »

Neither. It isn’t smoked, but it isn’t like braised brisket. Maybe someone else can be more clear.

It is like ham, made from beef rather than pork.  It is salted and hence preserved.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3478 on: October 16, 2021, 07:47:03 PM »

It is like ham, made from beef rather than pork.  It is salted and hence preserved.

Ah, thank you.

I've read a description of it a few times, but couldn't wrap my mind around what it actually was. It's not popular anywhere I've lived (smokes meat is a big deal here), so I've never actually seen it, but was always curious. But beef ham makes sense. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:49:53 PM by Malcat »

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3479 on: October 17, 2021, 05:42:53 PM »
Pork chile verde with garden tomatillas, 7 hours in the slow cooker, one hour to go.
It's best when you go outside and do fall chores for a few hours and then come in and the house smells amazing!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3480 on: October 17, 2021, 05:55:21 PM »
Hainanese chicken rice made with free range organic chicken.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3481 on: October 17, 2021, 05:57:25 PM »

Ah, thank you.

I've read a description of it a few times, but couldn't wrap my mind around what it actually was. It's not popular anywhere I've lived (smokes meat is a big deal here), so I've never actually seen it, but was always curious. But beef ham makes sense.

If you are particularly familiar with smoked meats you might know pastrami? Another way to think of it is pastrami that never got smoked.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3482 on: October 17, 2021, 06:35:29 PM »
Caprese chicken skillet, using the last of the garden tomatoes & basil

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3483 on: October 17, 2021, 07:45:16 PM »
If you are particularly familiar with smoked meats you might know pastrami? Another way to think of it is pastrami that never got smoked.

I'm only familiar with Montreal style smoked meat, which isn't brined.

I think I've had pastrami though, because there are a few places where I've ordered smoked meat expecting Montreal style, and what I've gotten tasted brined, so that must have been pastrami instead.

I feel like I'm learning so much about beef, which I almost never eat. Although I did just have non-brined BBQ smoked brisket today for the first time in years because I was craving Montreal style smoked brisket because of this thread.

It was smoked for 14 hours, so very, very smoky, and very very fatty. It was a bit much actually. I really need to finally go back to Schwartz's in Montreal one of these days. It's been nearly 20 years, but every time I want to go, the lineup is just prohibitive for some beef.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3484 on: October 17, 2021, 08:36:40 PM »
I'm having stuffed shells for the first time ever!  Was sort of fun to prep them. They are in the oven now.  Filling was a blend of ricotta, mozzarella, spinach, marinara and then we browned Beyond Beef with onions and garlic, then some red wine.  I mean, I don't think the word "browned" is quite right for the Beyond mixture, but we got it to the place where I think it would be brown if it was real, and was rather less of the purply-pink color it is to start with. 

Serving with roasted brussels.  Very cozy on a surprising sprinkly night here.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3485 on: October 18, 2021, 05:01:25 AM »
I've got tomato soup in the crockpot and will make some grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it.  It's finally getting cold here.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3486 on: October 18, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »
I did a hearty pumpkin-lentil chili with green chili cornbread last night. I think I'll go light tonight, and do garlic parmesan shrimp with spaghetti squash "noodles." Maybe a slice of sourdough on the side.

Can I get the recipe for that pumpkin-lentil chili please?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3487 on: October 18, 2021, 11:45:28 AM »
I'm taking supper over to some friends whose kid was injured in a soccer game on Saturday, so I'm making two "mexican" (ish) casseroles which are layered corn tortillas, highly seasoned (with chipotle chilis, among other things) ground beef, red beans, cheese, and frozen corn, with enough of some kind of sauce to make them not-dry. Shredded cabbage and carrot slaw, GF brownies.

And for the injured player, who can't chew (don't ask), probably doctored up beef stock (which I made: it was in the freezer), possibly mashed buttered squash, and homemade applesauce. I'm trying to think of things that aren't sweet that he might enjoy.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3488 on: October 18, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »
It's like 70 degrees out, so we're thawing some gazpacho we had in the freezer, as this is very possibly the last "warm" day we'll have before spring.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3489 on: October 18, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »
I'm taking supper over to some friends whose kid was injured in a soccer game on Saturday, so I'm making two "mexican" (ish) casseroles which are layered corn tortillas, highly seasoned (with chipotle chilis, among other things) ground beef, red beans, cheese, and frozen corn, with enough of some kind of sauce to make them not-dry. Shredded cabbage and carrot slaw, GF brownies.

And for the injured player, who can't chew (don't ask), probably doctored up beef stock (which I made: it was in the freezer), possibly mashed buttered squash, and homemade applesauce. I'm trying to think of things that aren't sweet that he might enjoy.

Cream of vegetable soups? This broccoli cheddar soup is good and filling.

If dairy is verboten, maybe a pureed bean or lentil soup?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3490 on: October 18, 2021, 01:23:38 PM »
I'm planning to roast a chicken. I haven't decided on side dishes yet. Possibly mashed potatoes and green beans. It's been chilly all weekend, so fall comfort food sounds best.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3491 on: October 18, 2021, 01:33:31 PM »
sheperd's pie

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3492 on: October 19, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
Fully loaded cauliflower nachos. I use crisply roasted cauliflower instead of chips. Making it easy by using the vegan chorizo from the grocery store deli instead of cooking up my own protein topping.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3493 on: October 19, 2021, 11:13:27 AM »
Tempeh and veggie stir-fry with peanut sauce, all over brown rice. I'm craving peanut butter, and this should do the trick nicely.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3494 on: October 19, 2021, 11:42:46 AM »

Cream of vegetable soups? This broccoli cheddar soup is good and filling.

If dairy is verboten, maybe a pureed bean or lentil soup?
That's a great idea -- I'll propose it in a few days. Thanks!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3495 on: October 19, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »
Colcannon. An Irish dish of potatoes and robust greens (we're using chard), leeks, milk and butter.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3496 on: October 26, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »
Third attempt at making a decent GF pizza dough, I received a pizza stone recently as a gift. I'm basically following the Bob's Red Mill recipe. I'm going to do one pie with regular yeast and one with quick acting yeast to see if there's any difference.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3497 on: October 27, 2021, 09:59:17 AM »
Colcannon. An Irish dish of potatoes and robust greens (we're using chard), leeks, milk and butter.
We had this two nights ago, but instead of milk and butter I use sharp English (or English-style) cheddar to glue it together and make it delicious. Cooked in a cast-iron skillet, then run under the broiler so both the top and bottom are crispy.

I also generally use cabbage, so I realize the only thing my thing has in common with actual Colcannon is the name I (incorrectly) call it, and the potatoes.... (When I use purple cabbage, things start to get even weirder...)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3498 on: October 27, 2021, 10:10:26 AM »
We had this two nights ago, but instead of milk and butter I use sharp English (or English-style) cheddar to glue it together and make it delicious. Cooked in a cast-iron skillet, then run under the broiler so both the top and bottom are crispy.

I also generally use cabbage, so I realize the only thing my thing has in common with actual Colcannon is the name I (incorrectly) call it, and the potatoes.... (When I use purple cabbage, things start to get even weirder...)

This sounds great and I definitely want to try it!  The cheese would be a great addition and I think the crispiness could be really key to making it seem more like a meal than a side dish.  Though I couldn't help but laugh about English cheddar in an Irish dish.  I'm guessing some would declare heresy.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3499 on: October 27, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »
I'm planning to try this kale and chickpea stir fry tonight (https://runningonrealfood.com/kale-chickpea-stir-fry-miso-peanut-sauce/), served over roasted sweet potatoes.

Kale was actually on sale at the grocery store this week, and I had planned on making a batch of chickpeas, so this is what I came up with.  Seems like a good candidate to top with a fried or poached egg.  Not sure about sides - either a bag of broccoli from the freezer, or green beans.

I'm happy to be back in the kitchen cooking again, but I have to get re-used to the lack of space.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 11:19:56 AM by NotJen »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!