Author Topic: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?  (Read 1009191 times)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Watcha making for dinner tonight!?
« Reply #3200 on: February 25, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »
We have a bag of arugula that needs to be used, so we'll make it into a salad and have that with pasta carbonara.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3201 on: February 25, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
It's "scrounge supper" tonight.  That's what we call it when we're busy, no one makes a family meal, and we all forage for ourselves. 

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #3202 on: February 25, 2021, 07:13:49 PM »
 I feel like this should be a thing, but I have never seen it..

Baked potatoe, butter, shredded cheddar cheeses, bacon. Microwave the toppings after cooking to melt.

Fry an egg. Out that on top, dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle with chives. DD made it-I had never seen the egg before. But it was essentially a hash and tasty.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3203 on: February 26, 2021, 01:30:44 PM »
Chicken enchiladas, again.  With Mexican slaw (made easier with a package of broccoli slaw).

I feel like this should be a thing, but I have never seen it..

Eggs (fried or poached) on pretty much anything is a thing for me.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3204 on: February 26, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »
Oven-roasted chicken shawarma, garlic yogurt sauce, spinach salad, probably roasted carrots and cauliflower.

Aelias

• Bristles
« Reply #3205 on: February 26, 2021, 01:51:17 PM »
I'm thinking jackfruit carnitas nachos with avocado and lots of cilantro. 

https://www.feastingathome.com/crispy-jackfruit-carnitas/

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3206 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:10 PM »
Vegan Spaghetti Bake tonight!

https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vegan-baked-spaghetti/

Tofu ricotta is SO GOOD and so cheap to make. This dish is pretty protein packed and feels like comfort. :-)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3207 on: February 26, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
I'm thinking jackfruit carnitas nachos with avocado and lots of cilantro. 

https://www.feastingathome.com/crispy-jackfruit-carnitas/
That looks great!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3208 on: February 27, 2021, 02:30:19 AM »
I made a kick-ass pot of minestrone --  https://cookieandkate.com/classic-minestrone-soup-recipe/.  Sauteing the first vegetables in the tomato paste gives it nice flavor depth.  Served it with slices of parmesan rosemary bread from our local bakery. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3209 on: February 27, 2021, 04:35:49 PM »
Tagine with red lentils, onions, tomatoes, eggplant and lamb ribs and lots of spices. I was going to make curry roasted cauliflower, but this is already looking like Too Much Food.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #3210 on: February 27, 2021, 08:16:55 PM »
Took it easy tonight - frozen dinners from Trader Joe's. Butter chicken with rice and veggie samosas, tasty and zero effort.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3211 on: February 27, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
A lovely melty casserole that's potato cubes, broccoli, (both par-cooked first), crushed tomatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, and olive halves, layered  and topped with munster cheese and cooked until it's all bubbly, hot, and gooey.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3212 on: February 27, 2021, 09:27:10 PM »
THis spinach, chickpea, sundried tomato in coconut milk mess (also very lemony).  https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-braised-coconut-spinach-chickpeas-with-lemon-recipes-from-the-kitchn-164551  We served it over microwaved (running too late to bake) sweet potatoes.

I think I've posted about it before, but I just think it's great because it's such an unusual combination of flavors and it's fully vegan and plant-based and finding recipes with those attributes that we really like have been a bit hard.  I usually end up missing cheese or it has eggs or something in it, so this is a good find.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3213 on: February 28, 2021, 02:43:11 AM »
That sounds really good @sui generis!  I'm going to give that one a try.  It's a creative way to eat sweet potatoes, which we love.   

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3214 on: February 28, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
That sounds really good @sui generis!  I'm going to give that one a try.  It's a creative way to eat sweet potatoes, which we love.

Right!  Like, they could easily just be chopped up and thrown in the stewy-mess to cook, which probably wouldn't be bad either.  But, it's nice to switch it up sometimes, even if it's mostly visual.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3215 on: February 28, 2021, 03:39:08 PM »
Tilapia with curry, bok choy & rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3216 on: February 28, 2021, 05:47:54 PM »
Husband made mole poblano with chicken, rice on the side.

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3217 on: February 28, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »
Speedy sweet and sour pork

It is a recipe from the "Eat Well for Less" BBC show.  Learned that cornstarch can also be called corn flour.  that was new to me.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3218 on: March 02, 2021, 09:19:03 AM »
Hamburgers with caramelized onions, roasted sweet potatoes, and a bag of frozen veggies (broccoli I think?).

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3219 on: March 07, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
A seasoned ground chicken mix, served over rice and spinach, topped with red bell peppers and green onions.  Roasted brussels sprouts and carrots on the side.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3220 on: March 07, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »
Had my BIL for dinner, and it was lovely and warm, so we made beer-can chicken (in the grill), a couscous and very many vegetable salad (with a lime, curry vinaigrette), artichokes, and roasted asparagus. He brought dessert -- thin mint cookies.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3221 on: March 07, 2021, 10:03:17 PM »
Had my BIL for dinner, and it was lovely and warm

I had a very brief moment of worry upon reading this, probably because someone was just telling me about a board game called "Donner Dinner Party."

I've been trying to convince myself to cook some beef stew with the thawed cubed chuck roast I had in the freezer, but my motivation has been 100% nonexistent this week so far. Partly due to lack of appetite with chronic GI issues - it's hard to do cooking projects when you're never hungry. I end up nibbling on something and then not wanting to eat again. I had hummus and crackers and now it's midnight and I never wanted dinner.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3222 on: March 08, 2021, 08:18:27 AM »
We are having Sichuan beef over noodles

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3223 on: March 08, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »
@Dollar Slice , no, we had my BIL over to join us for dinner ... although I appreciate your spirit!

Sometimes it's easiest to make beef stew in the slow cooker (or the oven) when you're not actually hungry -- ours is just a fried onion, then the beef, sliced carrots, a little salt and pepper, a bunch of thyme, and dark beer. Or whatever beer I happen to grab, with a veggie bullion cube if I'm worried it's going to be bland...

Tonight, assuming I can find a reasonable recipe, I'm making mac-n-cheese, and a salad.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3224 on: March 08, 2021, 07:08:45 PM »
@Dollar Slice , no, we had my BIL over to join us for dinner ... although I appreciate your spirit!

Sometimes it's easiest to make beef stew in the slow cooker (or the oven) when you're not actually hungry -- ours is just a fried onion, then the beef, sliced carrots, a little salt and pepper, a bunch of thyme, and dark beer. Or whatever beer I happen to grab, with a veggie bullion cube if I'm worried it's going to be bland...

When I saw it was you who posted it, I stopped worrying. You don't seem the cannibal type ;-)

Beef stew is in the instant pot's hands now. I'm pretty annoyed because I went into it telling myself I was going to utterly half-ass it but it would get done and not waste food and it doesn't have to be the best beef stew in the world - but when I opened up the package of allegedly cubed beef it was like someone had roughly hacked a pot roast into large, untrimmed pieces 5-6 inches long. And one of the potatoes had all sorts of bad spots. Yay, grocery delivery :-/ More work than I anticipated, at any rate, so I was only able to achieve about a two-thirds-assedness.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3225 on: March 09, 2021, 06:01:54 PM »
Greek lentil soup. Recipe from the Wash. Post.

It's good. I think it will be better tomorrow. I also think it would be improved by adding some smoked paprika.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3226 on: March 09, 2021, 09:12:45 PM »
Greek lentil soup. Recipe from the Wash. Post.

It's good. I think it will be better tomorrow. I also think it would be improved by adding some smoked paprika.

Almost everything is. Or Alleppo pepper, one of the two :^)

We had good tortillas to use, so made sweet potato tacos (with a leftover giant sweet potato that I cubed and heated up) with black bean and various other bit and pieces of stuff.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3227 on: March 10, 2021, 04:50:19 AM »
Last night was baked potatoes topped with buffalo chopped chicken. 

I think tonight will be clean out the fridge night.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3228 on: March 10, 2021, 03:58:41 PM »
We're in the process of re-adjusting to life with activities (kid activities). And, because of COVID, we'd allowed a few extraneous things (tennis, etc). Now that standard activities are re-opened & have mixed with extraneous activities, well, we have too much going on.

So, two diners will eat before my 13yo goes to volleyball. They'll have salmon & thai veggies
For the 15 year old & myself, we'll eat after soccer, and I'm thinking of something like: leftover spaghetti & meatballs for him, caesar salad with a side sausage for me.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3229 on: March 12, 2021, 05:21:07 PM »
Lentil meatballs with roasted red pepper sauce (https://dishingouthealth.com/moroccan-meatballs-with-roasted-red-pepper-sauce-and-herbed-couscous/).  The meatball mix was a little bland, but the sauce was pretty good.  Served with pearl couscous and mixed in some spinach.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3230 on: March 12, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »
Cauliflower crust pizza with sauteed pepperoni for 2 diners, pepperoni (regular crust pizza) for the other two

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3231 on: March 12, 2021, 07:33:16 PM »
Tofu and broccoli stir-fry (with rice) which was .... OK, I guess. I mean, it wasn't BAD.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3232 on: March 12, 2021, 11:23:32 PM »
It's Friday, so pizza! Homemade whole wheat crust. I started it early, gave it a long rise, punched it down and let it rise again. I think I'm getting the hang of this! Can't wait until next Friday to do it again.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3233 on: March 13, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
Italian sausage, pasta carbonara, and a bag of frozen veggies.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3234 on: March 13, 2021, 03:39:03 PM »
We're celebrating my son's 14th birthday. His second lockdown birthday, so we are doing it up more than usual. The birthday person always gets to select dinner - he's opted for Greek food. I also ordered a bakery cake, which we haven't done since his 1st birthday. That was his request, as there's no party. The cake looks delicious!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3235 on: March 13, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »
MrInCO is making a huge mostly-veggie lasagne. (There's about a half lb of  Italian sausage in the sauce, thus it's not entirely veggie.) Perhaps we'll make a salad to go with it...

The forecasted snow finally started arriving (although the accumulation is still pretty low), so I may take advantage and also bake a loaf of bread, and possibly some dessert thing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3236 on: March 13, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
Seared tuna steaks, bok choy and kelp noodles with Thai peanut sauce. Just as soon as my fingers thaw out. Enjoying a glass of zin while I wait.

I'm pondering corning a leg of lamb this week. I don't have the curing agent, so it would just be brined in salt and sugar and the pickling spices. If I manage this, we'll have it with kale and turnip colcannon for St. Patrick's day

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3237 on: March 17, 2021, 04:22:28 AM »
Corned beef, taters, carrots, onions, cabbage cooked in crockpot all day long! Can't wait to eat that! May add in a beer to the cooking liquid and pickling spices! Maybe some cornbread or Red Lobster biscuits or Bisquick biscuits!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3238 on: March 17, 2021, 06:08:39 AM »
Corned beef, taters, carrots, onions, cabbage cooked in crockpot all day long! Can't wait to eat that! May add in a beer to the cooking liquid and pickling spices! Maybe some cornbread or Red Lobster biscuits or Bisquick biscuits!

This sounds delicious!  I'm coming over for dinner. 

Happy St. Patrick's day!

gatortator

• Bristles
« Reply #3239 on: March 17, 2021, 06:38:54 AM »

We are making this too.  Cheddar chive soda bread for breakfast.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3240 on: March 17, 2021, 08:52:25 AM »
Decided on the Red Lobster bisquits with the corned beef! I bought a really nice flat corned beef, 3.5 lbs. It was $4.99 a lb and not really a bargain but don't care! This type of meat can be really crappy if you get the bargain $1.49 a lb ones. They shrink up to the size of a baseball! To top it off, I bought 2 additional corned beefs to have later on. Will freeze if the expiration comes up. They are very expensive during the rest of the year. All three are really nice pieces of meat. Been there, done that with the cheap cuts and not enough meat to feed two people!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3241 on: March 17, 2021, 09:01:37 AM »
We're having chicken caesar salads, with grilled chicken.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3242 on: March 17, 2021, 07:05:48 PM »
Mark Bittman's "Cassoulet with many vegetables", which -- as I've mentioned before -- barely resembles actual cassoulet. Still, beans, many vegetables, andouille sausage -- it's delicious (and cooks by itself for most of it's required time). And a baguette.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #3243 on: March 17, 2021, 07:50:57 PM »
Mark Bittman's "Cassoulet with many vegetables", which -- as I've mentioned before -- barely resembles actual cassoulet. Still, beans, many vegetables, andouille sausage -- it's delicious (and cooks by itself for most of it's required time). And a baguette.

He was just on Ezra Klein's podcast with a very thought-provoking interview and talking about his new book.  It was really interesting.

We're having leftover spicy veg noodles and roasted cauliflower.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3244 on: March 18, 2021, 06:28:54 AM »

He was just on Ezra Klein's podcast with a very thought-provoking interview and talking about his new book.  It was really interesting.

We're having leftover spicy veg noodles and roasted cauliflower.

Thanks, I have downloaded the podcast.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3245 on: March 18, 2021, 06:30:31 AM »
I will fry burgers from the shop. Make oven roasted broccoli. And serve with turkish style rice, which is cooked with orzo pasta for some reason. Trying out the rice for the first time.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3246 on: March 19, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »
Senate Bean Soup (https://www.ranchogordo.com/blogs/recipes/senate-bean-soup), with sauteed okra and a bag of frozen veggies, and probably the last piece of cornbread in the freezer for BF.

I'm excited that by accident I'm making this on a cold day (relative to the warmer one's we've been having).

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3247 on: March 19, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
Chicken tortellini soup with mixed vegetables and a salad. Made the broth from a previously cooked spatchcock chicken.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3248 on: March 19, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
I'm not feeling today, so freezer leftovers. Two of us will have chicken curry, one will have Keto chili. My 4th diner is an exceptionally picky 14 year old. I'm thinking pasta & chicken.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3249 on: March 19, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
We have a bag of arugula that really needs to be used, so a big salad. And burgers (it's nice today, but should snow again on Sunday), probably roasted potatoes, and various leftover bean things.