Author Topic: Coronavirus preparedness  (Read 120965 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #800 on: March 22, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
Laundry and Corona Virus

Like some MMMers, I rarely use my dryer, preferring to air dry over my bathtub.  I'm in an apartment so outdoor drying isn't an option.

I'm edging back to using the dryer to ensure killing the virus in my clothes.  But I have clothes that do not well in the dryer or even need to be hand washed.  Is there a detergent I can use?  An additive?  I can't bleach my non-whites, right?  My routine is a few drops of tea tree oil with All detergent (Pure, no scent, etc) and vinegar in place of softer.

Detergent or soap will destroy the coronavirus. It's outer membrane is a 'lipid bilayer' - mostly just fat. Rip that apart with detergent or soap, and the virus is destroyed.

Note: This does not work with all viruses or bacteria. Works really well for this one though!

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: March 22, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
Laundry and Corona Virus

Like some MMMers, I rarely use my dryer, preferring to air dry over my bathtub.  I'm in an apartment so outdoor drying isn't an option.

I'm edging back to using the dryer to ensure killing the virus in my clothes.  But I have clothes that do not well in the dryer or even need to be hand washed.  Is there a detergent I can use?  An additive?  I can't bleach my non-whites, right?  My routine is a few drops of tea tree oil with All detergent (Pure, no scent, etc) and vinegar in place of softer.

Detergent or soap will destroy the coronavirus. It's outer membrane is a 'lipid bilayer' - mostly just fat. Rip that apart with detergent or soap, and the virus is destroyed.

Note: This does not work with all viruses or bacteria. Works really well for this one though!

Ok, yeah, the thought did occur to me that handwashing with soap works so why not washing with regular detergent for laundry. 

Thanks.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #802 on: March 22, 2020, 09:40:55 PM »
So, on getting back on track rather than following the recriminations:

Went out today to get fresh fruits and vegetables, replenished the pantry (wore mask and gloves, maintained distance as best I could), also stocked up on garden seeds both for now and for fall planting, to supplement what we already planted. I need to go dig up another section for gardening.

Frankly, risk is still relatively low in Texas. At some point, I won't be going out at all even with precautions. I want to still be well supplied at that point.

We've stocked up on dried beans, frozen veggies, etc.  I'm not worried about stores running out of things (at least not for long periods of time) but I'm trying to limit how often I need to go out.

I'm in Texas too. I'm not sure what to think really.  The university where I work had one of the first confirmed cases but it doesn't seem like the number of cases has risen drastically in the last few weeks.

I'm on the fence about whether or not we should keep going out to get groceries now for when things get crazy bad in the future . . . or if we should stay in eating the supplies we have.
I put aside some supplies back at the beginning of March anticipating that it might get serious (I received briefings @ work so had info early) and we might want to avoid the stores or see shortages. 

I made a trip a couple of days ago to get some additional items in anticipation of our state asking us to shelter in place (they made the call today albeit a little short of shelter in place) and we are set for a couple of months with good stuff to eat including pie and chocolate.

Really trying to avoid the stores as I do not want to bring something back to my wife due to health issues. And letís be honest I do not want this either but I work in critical infrastructure so will probably have to travel for work.

I went back and forth on going to the store or just making due with what we have but decided I would rather go now than after it has a chance to spread a few more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: March 22, 2020, 11:12:52 PM »
I haven't been to a grocery store (or similar) since mid-February.  Amazon Fresh.  These days, it's tough to snag a delivery time, but can be done with persistence. 

So you can get groceries without exposing yourself to anyone.  (Yes, someone touches your groceries to bag them and leave them on your doorstep.)  I find prices to be not more than at my regular grocery store, with careful shopping, although they may be rather picked over at this point. 

Yes, it costs money.  You are expected to tip, and might spend slightly more.  For me, this kind of thing is well worth spending an extra $10 on a large grocery shop.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #804 on: March 23, 2020, 04:48:35 AM »
Laundry and Corona Virus

I wash my towels and cleaning rags with hot water and soap, let the dry in the sun, then iron on the highest setting. I'm pretty sure this will kill of most bacteria and viruses.

spartana

• Magnum Stache
  • FIREd at 36.
« Reply #805 on: March 23, 2020, 12:18:25 PM »
I went to Costco yesterday, Sunday, about 11 am and it was almost completely empty of people! I got a parking spot right up front and there were tons of spaces. They had just sold out of their last thing of TP so I missed that but plenty of other stuff. Lines all open and no backup. Most awesome Costco shopping experience ever. Well besides missing out on the TP and no samples.

I stopped at two Ralph's this morning and also mostly empty of people and they had TP (the huge packs) and bleach wipes plus lots of food. So Im set for the EOTWAWKI and can now avoid others as much as possible. Maybe this is a sign that the hoarding is done with and people are fully stocked and don't need to go to stores any longer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:21:03 PM by spartana »

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: March 23, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
I went to Costco yesterday, Sunday, about 11 am and it was almost completely empty of people! I got a parking spot right up front and there were tons of spaces. They had just sold out of their last thing of TP so I missed that but plenty of other stuff. Lines all open and no backup. Most awesome Costco shopping experience ever. Well besides missing out on the TP and no samples.

I stopped at two Ralph's this morning and also mostly empty of people and they had TP (the huge packs) and bleach wipes plus lots of food. So Im set for the EOTWAWKI and can now avoid others as much as possible. Maybe this is a sign that the hoarding is done with and people are fully stocked and don't need to go to stores any longer.
Letís hope!

spartana

• Magnum Stache
  • FIREd at 36.
« Reply #807 on: March 23, 2020, 02:37:52 PM »

Letís hope!

I just went bump it of curiosity and again hardly any people there and tons of parking. So it's either a good sign that hoarding has stopped and people are staying home or or a bad sign that it's the end of the world.

v8rx7guy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #808 on: March 23, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »

Letís hope!

I just went bump it of curiosity and again hardly any people there and tons of parking. So it's either a good sign that hoarding has stopped and people are staying home or or a bad sign that it's the end of the world.

Are you back in Bellingham?  I remember you saying you lived in Bellingham for a while.  The reason I asked is because the Bellingham Costco was just as you described.  Empty lot, fully stocked, etc.  Probably has a lot to do with the border with Canada being closed, but I was shocked at just how normal it was there...

spartana

• Magnum Stache
  • FIREd at 36.
« Reply #809 on: March 23, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »

Let’s hope!

Are you back in Bellingham?  I remember you saying you lived in Bellingham for a while.  The reason I asked is because the Bellingham Costco was just as you described.  Empty lot, fully stocked, etc.  Probably has a lot to do with the border with Canada being closed, but I was shocked at just how normal it was there...
No and I never lived there. Just wished I did. I'm in SoCal hanging at a nearly deserted beach watching the cargo ships line up to drop of stuff. Maybe TP ;-).

v8rx7guy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #810 on: March 23, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »

Letís hope!

No and I never lived there. Just wished I did. I'm in SoCal hanging at a nearly deserted beach watching the cargo ships line up to drop of stuff. Maybe TP ;-).

Oops!  Well, it should be noted that Costco is doing pretty well up in the rainy north too.

Luz

• Bristles
« Reply #811 on: March 23, 2020, 09:57:22 PM »
I'm moving my questions about the effect of an economic crisis on the pandemic to another thread... and chiming in about personal preparations.

The maxim, "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" has been on my mind as well as different "what if" scenarios. Aside from taking the health precautions suggested to protect my own and other's health, most of my preparations are for disruptions to employment and supply chains (which also appear to support a 2 week self-quarantine should we get sick). I'm pregnant and my partner has latent TB. While both conditions are concerning in terms of COVID-19, the evidence suggests that the outcomes for both in the pandemic thus far are similar for those in lower-risk groups.

My partner is on a two week paid time off from his job for the social distancing effort. Unsure of whether there will be work after that (it's a big corporation that may be able to weather the storm, but it's in the retail industry). My side hustle is bookkeeping for a small business that has already felt the impact. We're in the beginning of our FI path and don't have a full ER fund saved. But I think we can make do for possibly 9 months without an income in an unpredictable environment (ie: minimal public safety net to fall back on).

The main question I've asked myself is: what would be hard to live without and how do I make the essentials last as long as possible?

I reduced our budget to cover only the basics: housing, food, necessary household supplies like soap, gas for the car, and internet and phone service for communication.

-I slashed our food budget in half. We're buying basic ingredients (the cheapest, most nutrient dense ones- which have become hard to find in my area) and I'm making everything from scratch (yogurt, bread, beans...). We're also rationing a bit (2 pieces of fruit per day per person, for example) to make things last, while making sure everyone gets their fill and nutritional bases are covered.

-The lease on our 1 bedroom apartment is up this summer around the time we're expecting a new baby. We are technically unable to stay due to max capacity laws, (we have another child) but the manager of the complex announced that he'd be willing to work with tenants, so I'm thinking to talk with him about staying for the time being. We live in the desert and usually keep the AC at 69 in the winter and 79 in the summer, but today I upped it to 85 and it wasn't that bad. I'm taking a similar approach to rationing all our utilities. Showering every other day. Air-drying laundry.

-I got household supplies that I can make last for the next 6 months: castile soap, basic cleaning supplies like peroxide/baking soda/white vinegar, laundry soap, lots of floss, Vitamin D for both kids, prenatals for myself, saline/ibuprofen/tylenol, water filters. I cut way down on TP use and am potty training the toddler to get her out of diapers. Also: converting to cloth wipes. I got supplies for postpartum recovery and also newborn care (those two are ones I especially don't want to have to do without).

-We're getting the car serviced and also filling up every time we go to the store (per one poster's suggestion). Not sure where we would store extra gas though as we don't have a shed or garage.

-I may hold onto a bit more cash than usual to have flexibility. Is anyone concerned about bank runs/insolvency at this point? I don't know much about the phenomenon, but it definitely could be a "what if?".

-I'm not pre-paying expenses and am filing my taxes ASAP due to a refund. My partner will still enroll in classes this summer (registration opens this week). We're pausing remittances sent to his family for a bit. He is eligible for citizenship this summer (currently has a green card) but it looks like those proceedings are on hold. Depending on what happens with both our jobs, we'll be looking at other options.

I figure that if things normalize over the next few months, we'll have saved a good chunk of money. If they don't, we'll be glad we had a plan. It's eye-opening when things you take for granted are suddenly not guaranteed.

Anyone have any suggestions for what to add to our plan?

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #812 on: March 24, 2020, 05:54:38 AM »
-I may hold onto a bit more cash than usual to have flexibility. Is anyone concerned about bank runs/insolvency at this point? I don't know much about the phenomenon, but it definitely could be a "what if?".
with infinte QE, i think the banks should be safe. still, two months expenses in cash would remove that worry.

One of the blogs i read have many ideas to really stretch the dollar : https://theprudenthomemaker.com/

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #813 on: March 24, 2020, 06:42:02 AM »
Well, I for one am pretty pleased that I made some advance preparation a month ago, and wish that I had done more.

As far as laundry goes - any clothes we wear into a public place, like going to the grocery store, are washed and machine dried, and that person showers and washes his/her hair. It's a pain, but at this point we're only going to the store once/week.

Online grocery shopping here seems to have fallen apart. I put in an order last week and the earliest slot we could get for pick up is this Thursday. I'm trying to add to that order, but the system seems to have crashed.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #814 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »
Laundry and Corona Virus

Sounds like dish detergent (Dawn) would work great since they used that to get the oil spill out of the feathers of the seabirds - if it can dissolve oil it should work for the lipid bilayer (fat) that you described, n'est pas?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #815 on: March 24, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »
I haven't prepared especially for Corona but I always have the basics stocked up. Mr Imma is getting a bit anxious from the empty shelves in the grocery store but we did an inventory this morning to ease his mind. He had no idea our small pantry contained so much!

We don't spend a lot of money ever but now we live especially frugally. We don't spend money on the bus/train or any activities. If this will take months maybe Mr Imma will buy a new videogame or something but otherwise we have plenty to keep us busy. We try to put as much cash as possible into our EF because job loss for at least one of us is pretty likely.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #816 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
I'm spending a bit more on groceries, but nothing on gas - there's nowhere to go and nothing to do! LOL

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
Even if the patient left a written medical directive stating that she didn't want to go to hospital? If the nursing home doctor had called an ambulance to take my family member to the ICU and she died there instead, against her wishes, they would have acted without her consent and in violation of her wishes and I would have definitely considered filing a complaint against that doctor because I think it's very dangerous if a doctor doesn't understand the concept of informed consent.

My family member with Corona is not going to make it and has chosen for palliative sedation and I'm very glad this means their suffering is over.

People of MMM: take this virus seriously because it's not the flu. Statistically it's unlikely you'll die if you're young and healthy, but I personally know young people who have it and a lot of them are very ill. A friend of mine is recovering now but that friend is young and extremely fit (very mustachian, does lots of DIY and long distance cycling) and it's still a challenge to walk to the corner of the street and back. It wasn't like any other flu and they lost a lot of weight too.

So sorry to hear about your family member Imma :(

My condolences and sterkte for you and your family!

I hope the curve will soon flatten so that this madness (and by that I mean the full hospitals/people dying, not the economy/lockdown) can get over.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #818 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
Well, I for one am pretty pleased that I made some advance preparation a month ago, and wish that I had done more.

As far as laundry goes - any clothes we wear into a public place, like going to the grocery store, are washed and machine dried, and that person showers and washes his/her hair. It's a pain, but at this point we're only going to the store once/week.

Online grocery shopping here seems to have fallen apart. I put in an order last week and the earliest slot we could get for pick up is this Thursday. I'm trying to add to that order, but the system seems to have crashed.

I don't know if your grocery lets you modify pick up orders,  but for the last several weeks we just place our order 4-5 days in advance to secure our pick up time and then we modify it every time we think of something else we need. It has worked VERY well.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #819 on: March 24, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »

I don't know if your grocery lets you modify pick up orders,  but for the last several weeks we just place our order 4-5 days in advance to secure our pick up time and then we modify it every time we think of something else we need. It has worked VERY well.

Yeah, it took me an hour to add to that order. I think the online system is just overwhelmed. I did finally get it to work. Weíll see what we actually get!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: March 24, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
Well, I wish I wasn't wrong, but I can admit I was wrong about cloth masks.  Local hospitals and nursing homes are asking for donations of cloth masks, so I am sewing them in bulk now, when a few weeks ago I didn't think we'd run out of PPE so fast to resort to something of unknown effectiveness.

We did some preparations in mid- to late February, and I'm very glad we did.  We're generally pretty prepared, with a well stocked pantry and basic emergency supplies, but we added powdered milk to our supplies because of the kids, and bought some extra dry goods including yeast since we were out.  Now flour and bread are both mostly sold out around us, but we have enough stuff on hand to bake our own.  It's something I love to do, but often don't make time for, so there's a happiness bonus as well.

Things are pretty scary out there.  So far half our state's cases are in our city, but the hospitals are doing okay except for PPE.  I hope our state's efforts work and things don't get really bad in our city.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #821 on: March 24, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »
Both my mailman and the Amazon lady were wearing masks today.

spartana

• Magnum Stache
  • FIREd at 36.
« Reply #822 on: March 24, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »

Letís hope!

Oops!  Well, it should be noted that Costco is doing pretty well up in the rainy north too.
My sister just texted me to say she got a big Costco TP right at opening time. Very small line and lots of parking. Fully stocked too. Other stores seem the same.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #823 on: March 24, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
Both my mailman and the Amazon lady were wearing masks today.

The garbage men, bus drivers, and construction workers I've seen today were all wearing masks.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #824 on: March 24, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
One microscopic silver lining in the gigantic cloud that is the coronavirus is that being stuck in the house all the time has motivated me to go out running regularly again for the first time since my son was born.

On top of that, I haven't had a soft drink in close to two weeks, and I struggled to keep my consumption down to two a day. Being unable to go to the local shop, and having my wife see pretty much everything I eat and drink, has made sticking to a decent diet a lot simpler.

Like I said, microscopic.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #825 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:18 PM »
One microscopic silver lining in the gigantic cloud that is the coronavirus is that being stuck in the house all the time has motivated me to go out running regularly again for the first time since my son was born.

On top of that, I haven't had a soft drink in close to two weeks, and I struggled to keep my consumption down to two a day. Being unable to go to the local shop, and having my wife see pretty much everything I eat and drink, has made sticking to a decent diet a lot simpler.

We all have to take our small victories where we can.  Good job on the running and on the cutting of soft drinks!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #826 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »

We all have to take our small victories where we can.  Good job on the running and on the cutting of soft drinks!

Not just that, but overtime you will lose your taste for them which will make refraining easier going forward.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #827 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:38 AM »
I did think over the weekend of Joan Rivers' 9/11 routine, and it made me realise that the same idea still applies. There is at least one person out there for whom the virus was a godsend.

Scotland2016

• Stubble
« Reply #828 on: April 01, 2020, 08:32:44 AM »
Thinking about Frugal Drummer this morning and the face masks he/she was sewing in February. People attacked the idea and here I am a little over a month later looking to buy some on Etsy.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: April 01, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
There are no-sewing-required masks that are easy to make...just Google to see DIY videos.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #830 on: April 01, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
Thinking about Frugal Drummer this morning and the face masks he/she was sewing in February. People attacked the idea and here I am a little over a month later looking to buy some on Etsy.

I have been thinking of Frugal Drummer as well.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #831 on: April 01, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Here is an easy non-sewing mask!

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie

I have handkerchiefs, but no hair-ties. I think I will try it out with rubber bands.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #832 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
We are a little ahead of the curve compared to those in the rest of the US, so some suggestions.

If you start running out of vegetables and fruits, then check with the restaurant suppliers. They pack and deliver supplies to restaurants and when restaurants are not ordering much, they are glad of the extra business. If they do not deliver residentially, call and suggest the idea. One small business in my county is surviving supporting residential needs.

For those making Costco runs, do not go between 12 noon-2pm. That is the peak time.

Grocery stores/Costco have special hours set aside for those older than 60, a high-risk category.

If you have any favorite restaurants/pizza places, think about buying gift certificates. I have some immune system issues (GBS), so I cannot even risk take out, so I am buying gift certificates. It is possible that you might never cash those gift certificates, but hopefully, this can help some. I am sure that a couple of restaurants are not going to make it in my town.

Please wear your mask outside your house!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:25:50 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #833 on: April 01, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »
The old lady at the end of our street approached me and asked for some supplies, so I did an emergency grocery store run today.

Wore gloves and respirator.  People were not leaving 6 ft of space.  In fact, it's almost impossible to do so.  The grocery store aisles are laid out so that they're just barely wide enough to scrape two carts beside one another.  They weren't limiting people into the store either, and nobody in the store was leaving distance when lining up.  About half the people in the store were wearing masks, and a similar number were wearing gloves.  Of the people wearing masks, quite a few had decided to pull it down below their nose or to rest it on their chin.  :S

No TP today.  Again.  Also, no eggs.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: April 01, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
How about balaclavas?  I have a couple of thin warm season ones.  My concern is that they are form fitting so I'm not sure how much protection I am providing or am provided with thin stretchy material tight over my nose and mouth.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #835 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »
How about balaclavas?  I have a couple of thin warm season ones.  My concern is that they are form fitting so I'm not sure how much protection I am providing or am provided with thin stretchy material tight over my nose and mouth.

If you're covering your mouth and nose you're preventing little infection droplets from spraying everywhere.  Probably not doing much for your own protection though.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #836 on: April 01, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »
If you're covering your mouth and nose you're preventing little infection droplets from spraying everywhere.  Probably not doing much for your own protection though.

Agree, thus "I am providing...".  So if I have thin tight material over my mouth, how much am I stopping from getting out?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #837 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »

Agree, thus "I am providing...".  So if I have thin tight material over my mouth, how much am I stopping from getting out?

I'd guess an awful lot.  Even if you blast a sneeze into 'em, they catch the liquid pretty well.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: April 01, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
The grocery store aisles are laid out so that they're just barely wide enough to scrape two carts beside one another.  They weren't limiting people into the store either, and nobody in the store was leaving distance when lining up.  About half the people in the store were wearing masks, and a similar number were wearing gloves.  Of the people wearing masks, quite a few had decided to pull it down below their nose or to rest it on their chin.  :S

That's starting to border on criminal. The grocery stores near here have started making the aisles one-way which I think is a very creative solution. Of course, it has to be a part of a whole bunch of other changes, but I'm impressed by all the little things that can add up.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #839 on: April 01, 2020, 01:30:56 PM »
I've concluded everyone wears a mask and I don't.  I don't like wearing masks so it's all for the best.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #840 on: April 01, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
My six year old son doesn't like coughing into his elbow.  We teach him to do it not for his own benefit, but for the benefit of everyone else.

Nobody likes to wear a mask.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: April 01, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
My six year old son doesn't like coughing into his elbow.  We teach him to do it not for his own benefit, but for the benefit of everyone else.

Nobody likes to wear a mask.

My three year old doesn't like to sneeze into his arm, because then he would have germs on his shirt.  Yeah, kid, that's the point. On your shirt, not all over other people.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #842 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
Groceries stores here are still quite well stocked, still no TP, although I haven't checked because I don't need any because I'm one of the sane people who immediately ordered a bidet, lol. Plus Amazon is still so far delivering my monthly TP order.

People are being very good about staying 6ft apart, the huge store across the street is limiting how many people they let it, the discount store down the street isn't, but they aren't overly busy either.

Very few people are wearing masks, but I saw one guy wearing a painting respirator.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #843 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
Very few people are wearing masks, but I saw one guy wearing a painting respirator.

We have some half and full face masks at home and I was looking into it yesterday and all of our cartridges are p100 some are just filtration and others are gas plus filtration.

From my reading they should be sufficient (actually p100 would provide more than n95) for this virus but if I am wrong please let me know.

They also offer n95 filters for the mask but of course they are all sold out.

I ordered a couple more p100 filters for the masks.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #844 on: April 01, 2020, 04:17:40 PM »
I've concluded everyone wears a mask and I don't.  I don't like wearing masks so it's all for the best.

You forgot to add ď/jkĒ to the end of your statement, because I seriously hope this statement is a joke. Itís exactly this kind of selfish and irresponsible thinking that keeps the virus going and puts other people at risk especially because you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Let just ask one question which my daughter has been learning in Kindergarten, ďWhat If everyone thought that way or did that?Ē

If a bunch of five year olds can reason it out, Iím sure you can too.

A better conclusion would be that you donít leave the house because you donít like wearing masks, and that would REALLY be for the best.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #845 on: April 01, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

We have some half and full face masks at home and I was looking into it yesterday and all of our cartridges are p100 some are just filtration and others are gas plus filtration.

From my reading they should be sufficient (actually p100 would provide more than n95) for this virus but if I am wrong please let me know.

100 or 99 designations are both better filters than a 95.  n95 filters 95%, n99 does 99%, n100 pretty close to 100%.  P or R filters will work just as well as the N stuff, if not better.  They also work work for oily fumes as well, where n means general dust/debris filtration.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #846 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
Here is a great interview with a Korean MD on the Carona virus there. Some good stats and he advises to wear a mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&t=1216s

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #847 on: April 01, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »

100 or 99 designations are both better filters than a 95.  n95 filters 95%, n99 does 99%, n100 pretty close to 100%.  P or R filters will work just as well as the N stuff, if not better.  They also work work for oily fumes as well, where n means general dust/debris filtration.
Cool, matches my research as well. I am really happy to have them plus a few extra cartridges.

Might look funny wearing a full face respirator but I already look funny anyway.

I think I might actually just make a game out of it and dress all mad max with my round grinding googles and have fun with it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:59:47 PM by the_fixer »

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #848 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »

You forgot to add ď/jkĒ to the end of your statement, because I seriously hope this statement is a joke. Itís exactly this kind of selfish and irresponsible thinking that keeps the virus going and puts other people at risk especially because you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Let just ask one question which my daughter has been learning in Kindergarten, ďWhat If everyone thought that way or did that?Ē

A better conclusion would be that you donít leave the house because you donít like wearing masks, and that would REALLY be for the best.

I conclude everyone should wear a mask and I don't...

How can it not be a silly joke? 

I have lived in Asia and am familiar with mask culture there. And I agree with it.  I never bought the CDC's stance against masks.  It was clearly about supply and efficacy was secondary.  Now they're on the verge on changing their stance and I'm afraid it just adds to their credibility issue--the CDC has come up really short.

They should have just been upfront about the need to funnel masks to medical and frontline workers. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #849 on: April 01, 2020, 07:34:38 PM »

I conclude everyone should wear a mask and I don't...

How can it not be a silly joke? 

I have lived in Asia and am familiar with mask culture there. And I agree with it.  I never bought the CDC's stance against masks.  It was clearly about supply and efficacy was secondary.  Now they're on the verge on changing their stance and I'm afraid it just adds to their credibility issue--the CDC has come up really short.

They should have just been upfront about the need to funnel masks to medical and frontline workers.

Phew! 😅

The number of stupid people Iíve come across lately who say that itís all just a hoax or thereís no way that the US has more cases and deaths than China, or that most people donít get sick and donít die from it anyway so you should just do what you want is horrifying! Iíve come across at least a few people who claim they donít need to or want to wear masks. Iím really glad youíre not one of them. 😊