Author Topic: Coronavirus preparedness  (Read 129235 times)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
Re: Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #800 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »
Laundry and Corona Virus

Like some MMMers, I rarely use my dryer, preferring to air dry over my bathtub.  I'm in an apartment so outdoor drying isn't an option.

I'm edging back to using the dryer to ensure killing the virus in my clothes.  But I have clothes that do not well in the dryer or even need to be hand washed.  Is there a detergent I can use?  An additive?  I can't bleach my non-whites, right?  My routine is a few drops of tea tree oil with All detergent (Pure, no scent, etc) and vinegar in place of softer.

Detergent or soap will destroy the coronavirus. It's outer membrane is a 'lipid bilayer' - mostly just fat. Rip that apart with detergent or soap, and the virus is destroyed.

Note: This does not work with all viruses or bacteria. Works really well for this one though!

Sounds like dish detergent (Dawn) would work great since they used that to get the oil spill out of the feathers of the seabirds - if it can dissolve oil it should work for the lipid bilayer (fat) that you described, n'est pas?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: March 24, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »
I haven't prepared especially for Corona but I always have the basics stocked up. Mr Imma is getting a bit anxious from the empty shelves in the grocery store but we did an inventory this morning to ease his mind. He had no idea our small pantry contained so much!

We don't spend a lot of money ever but now we live especially frugally. We don't spend money on the bus/train or any activities. If this will take months maybe Mr Imma will buy a new videogame or something but otherwise we have plenty to keep us busy. We try to put as much cash as possible into our EF because job loss for at least one of us is pretty likely.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #802 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
I'm spending a bit more on groceries, but nothing on gas - there's nowhere to go and nothing to do! LOL

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
Even if the patient left a written medical directive stating that she didn't want to go to hospital? If the nursing home doctor had called an ambulance to take my family member to the ICU and she died there instead, against her wishes, they would have acted without her consent and in violation of her wishes and I would have definitely considered filing a complaint against that doctor because I think it's very dangerous if a doctor doesn't understand the concept of informed consent.

My family member with Corona is not going to make it and has chosen for palliative sedation and I'm very glad this means their suffering is over.

People of MMM: take this virus seriously because it's not the flu. Statistically it's unlikely you'll die if you're young and healthy, but I personally know young people who have it and a lot of them are very ill. A friend of mine is recovering now but that friend is young and extremely fit (very mustachian, does lots of DIY and long distance cycling) and it's still a challenge to walk to the corner of the street and back. It wasn't like any other flu and they lost a lot of weight too.

So sorry to hear about your family member Imma :(

My condolences and sterkte for you and your family!

I hope the curve will soon flatten so that this madness (and by that I mean the full hospitals/people dying, not the economy/lockdown) can get over.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #804 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
Well, I for one am pretty pleased that I made some advance preparation a month ago, and wish that I had done more.

As far as laundry goes - any clothes we wear into a public place, like going to the grocery store, are washed and machine dried, and that person showers and washes his/her hair. It's a pain, but at this point we're only going to the store once/week.

Online grocery shopping here seems to have fallen apart. I put in an order last week and the earliest slot we could get for pick up is this Thursday. I'm trying to add to that order, but the system seems to have crashed.

I don't know if your grocery lets you modify pick up orders,  but for the last several weeks we just place our order 4-5 days in advance to secure our pick up time and then we modify it every time we think of something else we need. It has worked VERY well.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: March 24, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »
Well, I for one am pretty pleased that I made some advance preparation a month ago, and wish that I had done more.

As far as laundry goes - any clothes we wear into a public place, like going to the grocery store, are washed and machine dried, and that person showers and washes his/her hair. It's a pain, but at this point we're only going to the store once/week.

Online grocery shopping here seems to have fallen apart. I put in an order last week and the earliest slot we could get for pick up is this Thursday. I'm trying to add to that order, but the system seems to have crashed.

I don't know if your grocery lets you modify pick up orders,  but for the last several weeks we just place our order 4-5 days in advance to secure our pick up time and then we modify it every time we think of something else we need. It has worked VERY well.

Yeah, it took me an hour to add to that order. I think the online system is just overwhelmed. I did finally get it to work. We’ll see what we actually get!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #806 on: March 24, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »
Well, I wish I wasn't wrong, but I can admit I was wrong about cloth masks.  Local hospitals and nursing homes are asking for donations of cloth masks, so I am sewing them in bulk now, when a few weeks ago I didn't think we'd run out of PPE so fast to resort to something of unknown effectiveness.

We did some preparations in mid- to late February, and I'm very glad we did.  We're generally pretty prepared, with a well stocked pantry and basic emergency supplies, but we added powdered milk to our supplies because of the kids, and bought some extra dry goods including yeast since we were out.  Now flour and bread are both mostly sold out around us, but we have enough stuff on hand to bake our own.  It's something I love to do, but often don't make time for, so there's a happiness bonus as well.

Things are pretty scary out there.  So far half our state's cases are in our city, but the hospitals are doing okay except for PPE.  I hope our state's efforts work and things don't get really bad in our city.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #807 on: March 24, 2020, 12:11:13 PM »
Both my mailman and the Amazon lady were wearing masks today.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #808 on: March 24, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
Both my mailman and the Amazon lady were wearing masks today.

The garbage men, bus drivers, and construction workers I've seen today were all wearing masks.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #809 on: March 24, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
One microscopic silver lining in the gigantic cloud that is the coronavirus is that being stuck in the house all the time has motivated me to go out running regularly again for the first time since my son was born.

On top of that, I haven't had a soft drink in close to two weeks, and I struggled to keep my consumption down to two a day. Being unable to go to the local shop, and having my wife see pretty much everything I eat and drink, has made sticking to a decent diet a lot simpler.

Like I said, microscopic.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #810 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:18 PM »
One microscopic silver lining in the gigantic cloud that is the coronavirus is that being stuck in the house all the time has motivated me to go out running regularly again for the first time since my son was born.

On top of that, I haven't had a soft drink in close to two weeks, and I struggled to keep my consumption down to two a day. Being unable to go to the local shop, and having my wife see pretty much everything I eat and drink, has made sticking to a decent diet a lot simpler.

We all have to take our small victories where we can.  Good job on the running and on the cutting of soft drinks!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #811 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »

We all have to take our small victories where we can.  Good job on the running and on the cutting of soft drinks!

Not just that, but overtime you will lose your taste for them which will make refraining easier going forward.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #812 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:38 AM »
I did think over the weekend of Joan Rivers' 9/11 routine, and it made me realise that the same idea still applies. There is at least one person out there for whom the virus was a godsend.

Scotland2016

• Stubble
« Reply #813 on: April 01, 2020, 08:32:44 AM »
Thinking about Frugal Drummer this morning and the face masks he/she was sewing in February. People attacked the idea and here I am a little over a month later looking to buy some on Etsy.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: April 01, 2020, 08:48:18 AM »
There are no-sewing-required masks that are easy to make...just Google to see DIY videos.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: April 01, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »
Thinking about Frugal Drummer this morning and the face masks he/she was sewing in February. People attacked the idea and here I am a little over a month later looking to buy some on Etsy.

I have been thinking of Frugal Drummer as well.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #816 on: April 01, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Here is an easy non-sewing mask!

http://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie

I have handkerchiefs, but no hair-ties. I think I will try it out with rubber bands.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #817 on: April 01, 2020, 11:59:48 AM »
We are a little ahead of the curve compared to those in the rest of the US, so some suggestions.

If you start running out of vegetables and fruits, then check with the restaurant suppliers. They pack and deliver supplies to restaurants and when restaurants are not ordering much, they are glad of the extra business. If they do not deliver residentially, call and suggest the idea. One small business in my county is surviving supporting residential needs.

For those making Costco runs, do not go between 12 noon-2pm. That is the peak time.

Grocery stores/Costco have special hours set aside for those older than 60, a high-risk category.

If you have any favorite restaurants/pizza places, think about buying gift certificates. I have some immune system issues (GBS), so I cannot even risk take out, so I am buying gift certificates. It is possible that you might never cash those gift certificates, but hopefully, this can help some. I am sure that a couple of restaurants are not going to make it in my town.

Please wear your mask outside your house!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:25:50 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #818 on: April 01, 2020, 12:41:46 PM »
The old lady at the end of our street approached me and asked for some supplies, so I did an emergency grocery store run today.

Wore gloves and respirator.  People were not leaving 6 ft of space.  In fact, it's almost impossible to do so.  The grocery store aisles are laid out so that they're just barely wide enough to scrape two carts beside one another.  They weren't limiting people into the store either, and nobody in the store was leaving distance when lining up.  About half the people in the store were wearing masks, and a similar number were wearing gloves.  Of the people wearing masks, quite a few had decided to pull it down below their nose or to rest it on their chin.  :S

No TP today.  Again.  Also, no eggs.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #819 on: April 01, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »
How about balaclavas?  I have a couple of thin warm season ones.  My concern is that they are form fitting so I'm not sure how much protection I am providing or am provided with thin stretchy material tight over my nose and mouth.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #820 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:29 PM »
How about balaclavas?  I have a couple of thin warm season ones.  My concern is that they are form fitting so I'm not sure how much protection I am providing or am provided with thin stretchy material tight over my nose and mouth.

If you're covering your mouth and nose you're preventing little infection droplets from spraying everywhere.  Probably not doing much for your own protection though.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #821 on: April 01, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »
If you're covering your mouth and nose you're preventing little infection droplets from spraying everywhere.  Probably not doing much for your own protection though.

Agree, thus "I am providing...".  So if I have thin tight material over my mouth, how much am I stopping from getting out?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:02 PM »

Agree, thus "I am providing...".  So if I have thin tight material over my mouth, how much am I stopping from getting out?

I'd guess an awful lot.  Even if you blast a sneeze into 'em, they catch the liquid pretty well.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: April 01, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
The grocery store aisles are laid out so that they're just barely wide enough to scrape two carts beside one another.  They weren't limiting people into the store either, and nobody in the store was leaving distance when lining up.  About half the people in the store were wearing masks, and a similar number were wearing gloves.  Of the people wearing masks, quite a few had decided to pull it down below their nose or to rest it on their chin.  :S

That's starting to border on criminal. The grocery stores near here have started making the aisles one-way which I think is a very creative solution. Of course, it has to be a part of a whole bunch of other changes, but I'm impressed by all the little things that can add up.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #824 on: April 01, 2020, 01:30:56 PM »
I've concluded everyone wears a mask and I don't.  I don't like wearing masks so it's all for the best.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #825 on: April 01, 2020, 01:54:49 PM »
My six year old son doesn't like coughing into his elbow.  We teach him to do it not for his own benefit, but for the benefit of everyone else.

Nobody likes to wear a mask.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: April 01, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
My six year old son doesn't like coughing into his elbow.  We teach him to do it not for his own benefit, but for the benefit of everyone else.

Nobody likes to wear a mask.

My three year old doesn't like to sneeze into his arm, because then he would have germs on his shirt.  Yeah, kid, that's the point. On your shirt, not all over other people.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #827 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
Groceries stores here are still quite well stocked, still no TP, although I haven't checked because I don't need any because I'm one of the sane people who immediately ordered a bidet, lol. Plus Amazon is still so far delivering my monthly TP order.

People are being very good about staying 6ft apart, the huge store across the street is limiting how many people they let it, the discount store down the street isn't, but they aren't overly busy either.

Very few people are wearing masks, but I saw one guy wearing a painting respirator.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #828 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »
Very few people are wearing masks, but I saw one guy wearing a painting respirator.

We have some half and full face masks at home and I was looking into it yesterday and all of our cartridges are p100 some are just filtration and others are gas plus filtration.

From my reading they should be sufficient (actually p100 would provide more than n95) for this virus but if I am wrong please let me know.

They also offer n95 filters for the mask but of course they are all sold out.

I ordered a couple more p100 filters for the masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #829 on: April 01, 2020, 04:17:40 PM »
I've concluded everyone wears a mask and I don't.  I don't like wearing masks so it's all for the best.

You forgot to add “/jk” to the end of your statement, because I seriously hope this statement is a joke. It’s exactly this kind of selfish and irresponsible thinking that keeps the virus going and puts other people at risk especially because you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Let just ask one question which my daughter has been learning in Kindergarten, “What If everyone thought that way or did that?”

If a bunch of five year olds can reason it out, I’m sure you can too.

A better conclusion would be that you don’t leave the house because you don’t like wearing masks, and that would REALLY be for the best.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: April 01, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

We have some half and full face masks at home and I was looking into it yesterday and all of our cartridges are p100 some are just filtration and others are gas plus filtration.

From my reading they should be sufficient (actually p100 would provide more than n95) for this virus but if I am wrong please let me know.

100 or 99 designations are both better filters than a 95.  n95 filters 95%, n99 does 99%, n100 pretty close to 100%.  P or R filters will work just as well as the N stuff, if not better.  They also work work for oily fumes as well, where n means general dust/debris filtration.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #831 on: April 01, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
Here is a great interview with a Korean MD on the Carona virus there. Some good stats and he advises to wear a mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU&t=1216s

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
Coronavirus preparedness
« Reply #832 on: April 01, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »

100 or 99 designations are both better filters than a 95.  n95 filters 95%, n99 does 99%, n100 pretty close to 100%.  P or R filters will work just as well as the N stuff, if not better.  They also work work for oily fumes as well, where n means general dust/debris filtration.
Cool, matches my research as well. I am really happy to have them plus a few extra cartridges.

Might look funny wearing a full face respirator but I already look funny anyway.

I think I might actually just make a game out of it and dress all mad max with my round grinding googles and have fun with it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:59:47 PM by the_fixer »

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #833 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »

You forgot to add “/jk” to the end of your statement, because I seriously hope this statement is a joke. It’s exactly this kind of selfish and irresponsible thinking that keeps the virus going and puts other people at risk especially because you might be an asymptomatic carrier. Let just ask one question which my daughter has been learning in Kindergarten, “What If everyone thought that way or did that?”

A better conclusion would be that you don’t leave the house because you don’t like wearing masks, and that would REALLY be for the best.

I conclude everyone should wear a mask and I don't...

How can it not be a silly joke? 

I have lived in Asia and am familiar with mask culture there. And I agree with it.  I never bought the CDC's stance against masks.  It was clearly about supply and efficacy was secondary.  Now they're on the verge on changing their stance and I'm afraid it just adds to their credibility issue--the CDC has come up really short.

They should have just been upfront about the need to funnel masks to medical and frontline workers. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #834 on: April 01, 2020, 07:34:38 PM »

I conclude everyone should wear a mask and I don't...

How can it not be a silly joke? 

I have lived in Asia and am familiar with mask culture there. And I agree with it.  I never bought the CDC's stance against masks.  It was clearly about supply and efficacy was secondary.  Now they're on the verge on changing their stance and I'm afraid it just adds to their credibility issue--the CDC has come up really short.

They should have just been upfront about the need to funnel masks to medical and frontline workers.

Phew! 😅

The number of stupid people I’ve come across lately who say that it’s all just a hoax or there’s no way that the US has more cases and deaths than China, or that most people don’t get sick and don’t die from it anyway so you should just do what you want is horrifying! I’ve come across at least a few people who claim they don’t need to or want to wear masks. I’m really glad you’re not one of them. 😊

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #835 on: April 01, 2020, 10:59:56 PM »
Our hoarding roommate is eating spam and canned soup, but still needs to shop more often than we do for fresh veg and meats.

Also, the Costco bean salad may have been cheaper than making my own, but it would best be served as a dessert. I have tried rinsing it, so hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #836 on: April 01, 2020, 11:21:59 PM »
For those making Costco runs, do not go between 12 noon-2pm. That is the peak time.

Grocery stores/Costco have special hours set aside for those older than 60, a high-risk category.

Please wear your mask outside your house!
Don't wait until noon to go to Costco or they will be picked over. If you're not a senior, go as close to the 10:00 am opening (new hours) as you can.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #837 on: April 03, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
Really glad I stocked up on food in early March. Our grocery pick-up is now scheduling 10 days out (up from 5 days last week). I have enough ingredients to span the gap.

Am also trying really hard to not purchase more than I need - but when the scheduling is getting further out it is hard to know how much is enough.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #838 on: April 03, 2020, 12:44:28 PM »
Really glad I stocked up on food in early March. Our grocery pick-up is now scheduling 10 days out (up from 5 days last week). I have enough ingredients to span the gap.

Am also trying really hard to not purchase more than I need - but when the scheduling is getting further out it is hard to know how much is enough.

We are trying to space out our trips by at least 14 days, so yeah it looks like a lot of food. And a lot of eggs. Please let there be eggs when I go next week!

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: April 03, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »
I tried two different deliveries methods on amazon - amazon fresh and whole food.

put what they had i wanted into cart, but wasn't able to check out - no delivery dates/times available. No other options for scheduling. I'm fine if it will be in 2 weeks if that is all you got, but .... not letting the order through.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2020, 04:51:41 PM »
I tried two different deliveries methods on amazon - amazon fresh and whole food.

put what they had i wanted into cart, but wasn't able to check out - no delivery dates/times available. No other options for scheduling. I'm fine if it will be in 2 weeks if that is all you got, but .... not letting the order through.

That’s what happened to us in China as well with the delivery apps at the end of January. I figured out when the app’s system opened in the morning and was one of the first people to place an order, often snagging one of the last delivery time slots and I took whatever slot was available.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #841 on: April 03, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »

It sounds like Fresh varies from location to location but mine only every has three days--today, tomorrow, and the next day.  New times added sporadically throughout the day.  (They used to put all of them up at midnight, I think, but that's changed since things got crazy.)  So, just keeping checking back.  And interestingly, the new times they release seem random.  They are not just adding more times at the end.  I randomly caught one for the next day, when it had been showing both that day and the following day as unavailable for most of the day.  I don't know if they are doing this to try to give more people access, or if they add times as people sign up to work shifts perhaps? 

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #842 on: April 03, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »

It sounds like Fresh varies from location to location but mine only every has three days--today, tomorrow, and the next day.  New times added sporadically throughout the day.  (They used to put all of them up at midnight, I think, but that's changed since things got crazy.)  So, just keeping checking back.  And interestingly, the new times they release seem random.  They are not just adding more times at the end.  I randomly caught one for the next day, when it had been showing both that day and the following day as unavailable for most of the day.  I don't know if they are doing this to try to give more people access, or if they add times as people sign up to work shifts perhaps?

I kept refreshing the page and then finally got lucky! Will get the delivery this weekend from fresh.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #843 on: April 04, 2020, 03:52:52 AM »
Here's an odd thing that happened this week. MIL is in a nearby Board  & Care. We are required to provide certain things, including Depends. Our Costco warehouse has been out, so DH ordered them on their website, using his mom's credit card, which is not a Costco branded Visa card, but still a Visa, which means it should have worked. The order was placed, but moments later, DH got an email cancelling it. He placed a new order using our own Costco Citibank Visa; the order went through and stuck. We checked, and her card is working fine, and DH is an authorized user on it, so it wasn't that. Our best guess is that they are supporting the purchases of people using the Costco Visa?? Strange.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: April 04, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
Here's an odd thing that happened this week. MIL is in a nearby Board  & Care. We are required to provide certain things, including Depends. Our Costco warehouse has been out, so DH ordered them on their website, using his mom's credit card, which is not a Costco branded Visa card, but still a Visa, which means it should have worked. The order was placed, but moments later, DH got an email cancelling it. He placed a new order using our own Costco Citibank Visa; the order went through and stuck. We checked, and her card is working fine, and DH is an authorized user on it, so it wasn't that. Our best guess is that they are supporting the purchases of people using the Costco Visa?? Strange.

hmm - that is idk somewhere between odd and concerning. Being a member should be thing.

Had he used her card there previously, and for online orders? Maybe the name needs to match or something?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #845 on: April 04, 2020, 07:54:12 PM »

hmm - that is idk somewhere between odd and concerning. Being a member should be thing.

Had he used her card there previously, and for online orders? Maybe the name needs to match or something?
Being a member is a thing, but I think anyone can use a non-Costco Visa there. We have used her card in the store, but this is the first time we've ordered for her online. The last names are the same, but you could be onto something there.

shawn77777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #846 on: April 06, 2020, 02:40:28 PM »
Just read the whole thread although I have been prepping and watching this since Jan and got alot of the supplies earlier.  I received a email from a good friend back then that I trusted and it was from Korea or Japan and was saying people that consumed raw apples, garlic and onion helped prevent this not sure if true but my kid and I have been eating them ever since,
http://www.beautyofplanet.com/this-is-the-most-powerful-natural-antibiotic-ever-kills-any-infections-in-the-body/
I have been using a similar recipe to this as well since 2003 I think and haven't been sick since I started a couple of shots a day and I'm good.
I have been doing the delivery grocery shopping from shipt and Amazon Whole Foods.  If i try to post orders during the day they are generally all booked up so i refresh right after midnight and it always works for me.  Still not much toilet paper around but I did read a story from Hong Kong what actually caused the TP shortage and it was China cutting them off why they were quarantined so Hong Kong peeps went crazy and bought everything and I guess the US thought they should do the same.  Recently read all the mills in the country are producing at 25% more than normal and running 24 hours a day even before everything happened so it just gonna take time to restock.  I believe I read that customers are still buying at like 300% more than normal.
The only stuff I'm buying now is fresh produce and things that make grain dishes taste better like broth, pastes, seasonings, chipotle peppers, rotel and whatnot.  I would like to get up to 4-5 months worth considering the govt has been wrong about pretty much everything so far and who knows when the vaccinations will be ready.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #847 on: April 09, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »

Being a member is a thing, but I think anyone can use a non-Costco Visa there. We have used her card in the store, but this is the first time we've ordered for her online. The last names are the same, but you could be onto something there.
Edit to add more facts, which only deepen the mystery: DH's card on his Mom's account actually has his name on it, so why they cancelled the order remains a mystery to be solved another day.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #848 on: April 11, 2020, 03:41:54 PM »
Hi all, OP here.

We are all still well in my home, despite one son living with me who works stocking the grocery store shelves at night. The workers there are now required to wear masks at work (county mandate) and I’ve sent some of the homemade fabric masks I’ve been sewing to his coworkers. My son is being very careful with hand washing etc. since my boyfriend has stage 4 lung cancer.

All my employees are very happy to have the masks I made for them two months ago. We are no longer seeing patients in our office (except for maybe 1 a week and not for acute illness) but are conducting telemedicine visits. As you might expect, income has dropped considerably and I am hoping to get the SBA forgivable loan to keep my employees paid. We still go to the office (plenty of work still refilling prescriptions, phone messages etc in addition to the televisits) but we all wear masks and try to keep 6 feet or more away from coworkers, frequent hand washing etc.

I haven’t had to break into my stock of dried beans and rice yet, and son has been able to bring things like milk and produce from work. I even have a box of Sees chocolates that I bought before they closed and saved for Easter candy.

My last shopping trip was to Costco a couple of weeks ago, and since we are projected to peak here soon, I’m trying to avoid going back for a while. Luckily a friend/patient who I treated for probable CoVID a couple of weeks ago thanked me with an order from Omaha steaks, so my freezer is full of steaks,  burgers, shrimp and chicken right now. If we all got sick today, we could eat well for time enough to recover.

I’ve been less stressed than most because of my preparedness. I’m not worried about whether I can find this or that. I put half my IRA into cash at the peak of the market and although I will have to withdraw some cash to get me through the next few months, I’ve been reinvesting the rest as the market hit lows, so in the long run I should probably make up the money I had to take out and end up as good, or better, than I would have been if this hadn’t happened.

I’ve never been a prepper or anything resembling it, but I must say, I’m impressed with how much peace of mind comes in a crisis like this when you’re not worried about finances, food, or toilet paper. I know most are under extreme stress and I’m going to do everything I can to keep my employees paid and safe.

I noticed someone a while back posting about my original fatality estimates being off. I think I posted already, but to be clear - the crude case fatality rate of 3-4% does NOT include mild and asymptomatic cases. The best current estimates of overall fatality among ALL people who contract the virus is 0.7% - not far from the estimates I originally made. (For some unknown reason, the case fatality rate has been quite higher in Italy and Spain - maybe less testing or more elderly, but there might also be a more aggressive strain there. I imagine we won’t have the answer for a while).

I hope you are all safe and well. It’s a nasty bug and even cases that don’t have to be hospitalized can be pretty awful.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #849 on: April 12, 2020, 04:48:39 PM »
Glad to hear that you are well.  I recall reading the early debates on this thread and thinking it could go either way ... everything seemed OK until mid-March, when it suddenly skewed to "not OK" very quickly.  Kudos for being less stressed than most, especially while caring for a stage 4 cancer patient.  Very impressive that you can keep it together in the face of it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:50:37 PM by meghan88 »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!