Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 615518 times)

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #1000 on: November 06, 2019, 10:16:46 AM »
Ugh -- people who type "weary" when they mean "wary" or "leery."

I'm guessing some of those are typos without proof-reading, or spell check "corrections".

I see this all. the. time. I doubt they are all typos. I see "weary" much more often than "wary" or "leery." I'm assuming the errors self-reinforce: people see others writing the word incorrectly, and then assume it's correct, so they start doing it, too.

I did say "some".  ;-)  You would not believe the typos I find myself making, some fingers go faster than others and the letters get redistributed.

I'm sure some of it is self-reinforcing.  But I would bet some of those "weary"s are from people who say "wary" as if it were "weary" and spell it accordingly.  Of course I say it correctly (well my region's definition of correctly) so I spell it correctly.

I’ve never heard of a region where it’s pronounced “weary.” Do you have an example? I’m fascinated.

To really confuse things, my wife, who is originally from Boston, will sometimes say "I'm wearied..." And even though I know what she really means, I'll reply, "Really, you're super tired?" What she really means is, "I'm worried."

She also has some strange vegetable reference to the present condition of things, which she calls "Carrot-ly." I think that's supposed to mean "currently."

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1001 on: November 06, 2019, 10:41:17 AM »
My Dad always pahked his cah in the Hahvahd Yahd, and told us to put our pajamas in our drawahs. He also loved Gulden's Mustard and asked anyone who was traveling West to smuggle some in their suitcase. That and a can of Brown Bread. We kids thought both were gross. Now I always have Gulden's in my fridge, but not Brown Bread. RIP, "Pops".

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1002 on: November 06, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »
My Dad always pahked his cah in the Hahvahd Yahd, and told us to put our pajamas in our drawahs. He also loved Gulden's Mustard and asked anyone who was traveling West to smuggle some in their suitcase. That and a can of Brown Bread. We kids thought both were gross. Now I always have Gulden's in my fridge, but not Brown Bread. RIP, "Pops".

Wait, I'm sorry, this is literally bread in a... Can?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1003 on: November 06, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
Yes, bread in a can and it is really good with cream cheese! I just had a can this week and mine had raisins. You will find them in the grocery store where baked beans are. Nice molasses flavor. Try it, you might like it!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1004 on: November 06, 2019, 12:09:18 PM »
Yes, bread in a can and it is really good with cream cheese! I just had a can this week and mine had raisins. You will find them in the grocery store where baked beans are. Nice molasses flavor. Try it, you might like it!
Not on the West Coast you won't. Happily, Gulden's Mustard is now available everywhere, though they recently updated their packaging, so it won't seem the same any more, alas.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1005 on: November 06, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »
I can’t quite believe that there is an a risky thing of bread in a can. Why the hell would anyone do that?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #1006 on: November 06, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »
I can’t quite believe that there is such a thing of bread in a can. Why the hell would anyone do that?

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1007 on: November 06, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1008 on: November 06, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
It's only been around a few weeks AFAIK, but I hope "OK Boomer" disappears just as quickly. I'm not a baby boomer (Gen X), but that phrase seems super condescending/dismissive to me.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1009 on: November 06, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
It's only been around a few weeks AFAIK, but I hope "OK Boomer" disappears just as quickly. I'm not a baby boomer (Gen X), but that phrase seems super condescending/dismissive to me.

It was probably an inevitable boomerang effect, considering how many years "millennial" has been considered shorthand for "lazy and entitled".

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1010 on: November 06, 2019, 01:29:19 PM »

It's not that it just seems super condescending and dismissive... it is absolutely intended to be super condescending and dismissive. 

I'm also GenX and am not so partial to the Boomers myself, but it does seem like a waste of breath.  OTOH, I am sort of surprised that Millennials still are the focus of generational disdain toward the youngs (there will always be that).  Because GenZ should now be taking their place in the disdain-a-thon and yet, I see nothing but positive stuff about them.  Like how they are going to save the world.  Maybe it's just the political circles I travel in where people are vesting undue hope in their idealism saving the world....and I just expect them to follow the same pattern of making us all think they are gonna save the day and then not actually giving a f@*& until they are in their 40s like their predecessors have done.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1011 on: November 06, 2019, 04:58:00 PM »
Any chance it will replace, "Bye, Felicia"?

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1012 on: November 07, 2019, 04:10:43 AM »
Ask as a noun.  Like, “did you see his ask? Or “sorry for multiple asks.”  Yuck.  It’s a request, people.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1013 on: November 07, 2019, 02:33:29 PM »
FYSA

As in, FYI was not clear enough, so we need to provide this information For Your Situational Awareness. 

If there is some reason that this is now needed, please enlighten me.  I don't want to ask anyone at work because I don't want to risk them seeing my eyes roll so far backward.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1014 on: November 07, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »
FYSA

As in, FYI was not clear enough, so we need to provide this information For Your Situational Awareness. 

If there is some reason that this is now needed, please enlighten me.  I don't want to ask anyone at work because I don't want to risk them seeing my eyes roll so far backward.

Maybe for when a wild animal is rampaging through the corridors?  Then you would want to be aware of the situation.   ;-)

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1015 on: November 07, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
"Redic" which has become a curiously acceptable spelling of "ridiculous" can go away any time now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1016 on: November 07, 2019, 10:58:27 PM »
Was in the car just long enough to hear that this phrase was the topic du jour on an afternoon talk show today. Not going to help it go away.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1017 on: November 25, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
"You do you" or "Keep doing you".

I just find it super-condescending.  Especially when the person saying it almost always has an opinion on whether the other person is doing something the right way. 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: November 25, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
"She said yes!"

Because the little lady was just sitting winsomely waiting for the man to pose The Question. Because it's not a decision they reach together. Because then he needs to announce it to the world via social media instead of it be a private moment between the two.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1019 on: November 26, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
"She said yes!"

Because the little lady was just sitting winsomely waiting for the man to pose The Question. Because it's not a decision they reach together. Because then he needs to announce it to the world via social media instead of it be a private moment between the two.

I never thought about this, but in a similar vein to announcing via social media instead of keeping family matters private, I despise social mourning.  Any time I see someone send their condolences via twitter or even just say "R.I.P", I am so sad that the deceased didn't register enough to warrant a family visit, flowers, or even just a card. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1020 on: November 26, 2019, 01:32:50 PM »
"She said yes!"

I never thought about this, but in a similar vein to announcing via social media instead of keeping family matters private, I despise social mourning.  Any time I see someone send their condolences via twitter or even just say "R.I.P", I am so sad that the deceased didn't register enough to warrant a family visit, flowers, or even just a card.

While we're at it, can we be done with gender reveals please? They were tacky to begin with, and now several people have been killed trying to one up each other on ways to reveal the baby's gender. I thought gender was becoming less important, so maybe these reveals are some kind of backlash.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: November 26, 2019, 04:27:11 PM »
"shitshow", particularly when used to describe something merely inconvenient, and nowhere near a real fuck-up.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: November 26, 2019, 05:19:22 PM »

I've heard that some businesses are considering banning "OK Boomer" in the workplace because some may consider it an ageist pejorative.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:23:20 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

js82

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1023 on: November 26, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »

I've heard that some businesses are considering banning "OK Boomer" in the workplace because some may consider it an ageist pejorative.

Any business where coworkers are addressing each other in that manner(assuming it's not in jest) has some pretty serious unaddressed dysfunction that will not be fixed by banning a phrase.  If their solution is to ban the phrase "OK Boomer" without addressing the real underlying issues and people responsible, that's a sign of a badly-run organization.

...and do people actually use the phrase "OK Boomer" outside the context of stupid internet arguments?  Because I've never seen/heard it used in any other context.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1024 on: November 26, 2019, 07:23:34 PM »
I've never heard it used IRL, but I did just learn today that the phrase is pretty much *intended* to be used against Gen Xers and older millennials as an extra sharp insult. Not only are they insulting your age, but insinuating that you seem much older by your embarrassing act/statement/etc. I'm embarrassed I didn't think of this and actually thought I was off the hook, but an interview with an internet linguist that I listened to convinced me.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1025 on: December 02, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
'speaks to' when they really mean 'speak about'. 

And 'informed by' when they really means 'affected by' or 'based upon' .

example : His ideas about gender are 'informed by' his early childhood experiences. Soooooo NPR ish. Puke!   

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1026 on: December 12, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
I have often seen people writing, "We need to pump the breaks."  It even showed up in the closed captions of a commercial I saw today. 

Is it because there is a generation out there now that doesn't care about a driver's license or is it that ABS technology has made it unnecessary to pump the BRAKES? 

Jeebus. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: December 13, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »
"Yay or nay".

I've seen this one a lot lately. It's "Yea or nay", people!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1028 on: December 13, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
"Yay or nay".

I'm always very excited to vote yes on something. You may have asked "Yea or nay", but I responded "YAY!"

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1029 on: December 13, 2019, 12:53:21 PM »
"Yay or nay".

And people who write "woah" instead of "whoa."

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1030 on: December 13, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »
"Yay or nay".

Woah is the preferred spelling now. You gotta keep up! https://www.wsj.com/articles/tales-of-woah-have-oldsters-saying-whoa-11568385490

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1031 on: December 13, 2019, 01:26:01 PM »
"Yay or nay".

Woah is the preferred spelling now. You gotta keep up! https://www.wsj.com/articles/tales-of-woah-have-oldsters-saying-whoa-11568385490

But it's "tales of woe" not whoa or woah. Whoa means stop and woah means you made a typo.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1032 on: December 13, 2019, 01:36:14 PM »
Keanu Reaves might want a word with you about that RetiredAt63

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1033 on: December 14, 2019, 07:25:34 AM »
Keanu Reaves might want a word with you about that RetiredAt63

He can have all the words he wants,  provided he uses them properly.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: December 14, 2019, 10:03:38 AM »
Welp instead of well.  I always think of a dog giving birth.

And bae, vacay, appy and cray cray and all that baby talk.  We have actual words, so USE them!

Also, any verbs used as nouns, like "invite."  Just bad grammar.  It's amazing kids get through English class anymore.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1035 on: December 14, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »
Welp instead of well.  I always think of a dog giving birth.

And bae, vacay, appy and cray cray and all that baby talk.  We have actual words, so USE them!

Also, any verbs used as nouns, like "invite."  Just bad grammar.  It's amazing kids get through English class anymore.

Whelp is even worse. And I see that a lot.

Also, “Awe!” instead of “Aw!” when gushing at a cute kitty or baby.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: December 16, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »

Yes! I hate that one!

I'm also seeing a lot of errors in books these days. They must think spellcheck catches everything, but recently I've seen mix ups with phase/faze, diffuse/defuse, and clamber/clamor.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: December 16, 2019, 11:23:39 AM »

Yes! I hate that one!

I'm also seeing a lot of errors in books these days. They must think spellcheck catches everything, but recently I've seen mix ups with phase/faze, diffuse/defuse, and clamber/clamor.

Yes. I'm reading a traditionally-published book right now, and I've caught that kind of thing a number of times. It's making me a little nuts.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1038 on: December 17, 2019, 06:58:23 AM »
This is weird, but I wish the word “nonplussed” would go away. Because no one, ever, ever uses it correctly.

I’ve seen it used twice in best-selling traditionally-published books in the past two days. Incorrectly, of course.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1039 on: December 17, 2019, 07:14:15 AM »
It drives me up the wall when people describe themselves as "humbled" when they receive an honor or accolade or something else great.  Winning an Oscar is not humbling. Winning a Razzie and shitting your pants on stage when you accept it is humbling.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1040 on: December 17, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
"Yay or nay".

But it's "tales of woe" not whoa or woah. Whoa means stop and woah means you made a typo.

My favorite homophone error of all time is "Whoa is me".

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: December 19, 2019, 05:58:28 AM »
Why does every baby name have to be unique? Have you met our kids, Frambah, Schlegmuff, and Briffin? They are all so special! 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1042 on: December 19, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »
Why does every baby name have to be unique? Have you met our kids, Frambah, Schlegmuff, and Briffin? They are all so special!
As someone who was given a unique name, I agree.  A last name that is difficult to pronounce is one thing.  A first name is something else entirely.

Our kids have "normal" names.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: December 19, 2019, 06:41:59 AM »
As someone who was given a unique name, I agree.  A last name that is difficult to pronounce is one thing.  A first name is something else entirely.

Our kids have "normal" names.

As someone who was given a name that was massively popular for a short time (think Ashley or Jessica), I gave my kids unusual names. They aren't made-up or off-beat spellings (Wikipedia pages exist showing lists of people with the same name) but they're rare where we live, so they're the only ones at their school with those names. People who are not familiar with non-American news or sports probably think they're truly unique.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1044 on: December 19, 2019, 09:26:05 AM »
As another person with a unique name, agree as well.  Another reason is the trauma being inflicted on the kids.  Kids are cruel and there's no need to hand them something on a silver platter for them to torment the child with!  My legal first name is hard to pronounce, but the diminutive is not - kids teased me mercilessly until late in high school about both.  Giving a kid a unique name doesn't make them special, it makes them a target.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1045 on: December 20, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »
Names like Bob and Mary are now the unique ones.

There was a study a long time ago that a disproportionate number of prisoners had unusual names.  Likely doesn’t hold true now.

Unusual spellings of common names bugs me too.  Pity the person who is having their name spelled wrong their whole life.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1046 on: December 21, 2019, 12:50:23 AM »
Randomly unusual spellings bug the hell out of me. A name should be easy to spell and to pronounce - either because it's common or at least familiar to most people, or if you want something a bit different at least make it short and reasonably phonetic so people can learn it quickly. Something like Bartholomew is not common and quite long, but I would not expect people in general to struggle to spell it because it's a standard recognised name. But Barrthulahmoo (*made up by me) - WHY?!?

It's difficult enough with names with common variants like Ann/Anne and Jon/John. I have a very recognisable but currently quite uncommon name with at least four standard spellings. No one ever gets it right without several clarifications. But at least if they see it written down first they know how to pronounce it so it's never mangled when people talk to me, and once they've figures out which spelling it is it's not too hard to remember.

(Currently naming a baby, so all this is quite fresh in my mind!)

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1047 on: January 01, 2020, 07:11:46 PM »
Hahaha... people are annoyed at rare or unique names and spellings?

Isn't the whole purpose of naming something to differentiate it from something else?

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: January 01, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »
Hahaha... people are annoyed at rare or unique names and spellings?

Isn't the whole purpose of naming something to differentiate it from something else?

Unless you have seventeen children and have started running out of Bobs and Marys, it's likely that any old name is going to differentiate your child for all practical purposes.

I think the trend towards everyone being unique or special is a little misguided. None of us is unique in any substantial sense, nor are we special.  Better to understand that and focus on being happy, rather than trying to make a snowflake of yourself.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1049 on: January 02, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »
I'm pretty annoyed by "gift" as a verb or "gifted".  I thought I saw that in this thread, but don't see it on this page at least, so if on a previous page, I think it deserves to be restated!  I guess I'm not sure exactly why I wish it would go away.  It is actually possibly helpful as a more specific word than "give".  But somehow when I see people use it, it seems very self-conscious and loaded, like there's something a bit pretentious about it.  Am I imagining things?