Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611775 times)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #1650 on: February 03, 2021, 08:12:43 AM »
I've reached my limit with "So grateful to/for/because" followed by either a humblebrag or a flex.

I think I'm also done with "humblebrag" and "flex" although I'm torn on "flex" - it does seem to be an efficient way of capturing some of the subtleties of dominant/alpha behavior.

I was just wondering yesterday if I had become a grumpy old person because it seems like every time someone being interviewed on a podcast is asked to give the listeners advice, they recommend "gratitude." I was finding myself annoyed by it, which is kind of like being annoyed by rainbows and puppies and unicorns... but this is why. (This and it's the same tired old advice everyone trots out when they can't think of anything else.) Thank you for clearing that up!

The flip side of this: empty enthusiastic expressions for completely banal interactions.

"Here is your coffee"
"Thank you sooo much, I really appreciate it"

I wonder if this is because no one can see smiles anymore, so people feel like they have to "smile" with their words.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1651 on: February 03, 2021, 08:54:46 AM »

The flip side of this: empty enthusiastic expressions for completely banal interactions.

"Here is your coffee"

I wonder if this is because no one can see smiles anymore, so people feel like they have to "smile" with their words.

I have a friend who does this, and has done since before the pandemic. He is so overly enthusiastic about everything that I feel like I have no idea what his actual opinions are. It's way, way too over the top. The end result is that I barely trust him because it feels like he's being fake all the time.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1652 on: February 03, 2021, 12:21:04 PM »

"Here is your coffee"

I have a friend who does this, and has done since before the pandemic. He is so overly enthusiastic about everything that I feel like I have no idea what his actual opinions are. It's way, way too over the top. The end result is that I barely trust him because it feels like he's being fake all the time.
Heh, there's a sales guy at our company who is simply over the top about everything.  He's a great guy, and fantastic at his job, but totally intense about everything, from the product we sell to the food he eats to the way he ties his shoes*.  He is the epitome of a gregarious salesman. Me? I'm an engineer, and pretty low key, and his demeanor feels like sandpaper on my eardrums.**

*ok, might be exaggerating on that last part.  A bit.
** I fully acknowledge that this is a failing in my character, not his, and I don't hold it against him.  I find it fascinating that I have such a visceral reaction to his comportment.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1653 on: February 03, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »

"Here is your coffee"

Heh, there's a sales guy at our company who is simply over the top about everything.  He's a great guy, and fantastic at his job, but totally intense about everything, from the product we sell to the food he eats to the way he ties his shoes*.  He is the epitome of a gregarious salesman. Me? I'm an engineer, and pretty low key, and his demeanor feels like sandpaper on my eardrums.**

** I fully acknowledge that this is a failing in my character, not his, and I don't hold it against him.  I find it fascinating that I have such a visceral reaction to his comportment.

My friend recently posted on social media that he is trying to say “I love you” more to friends. His reason for this was that he saw a meme saying that one should say it so much that it’s weird.

I cannot tell you how much I do not want him to start doing this to me.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1654 on: February 03, 2021, 12:53:13 PM »

"Here is your coffee"

Lol, I drive people fucking batty with my relentless positivity.

My patients used to complain about it all the time and I would cheerfully reply with a huge grin and a sing-along tone: "suck it up princess, you're in my house now"

So yeah, picture a sort of aggro Mary Poppins.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1655 on: February 03, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
I don't mind genuine positivity. It's using words that are clearly not meant that bothers me. If everything is awesome, nothing is awesome.

Down with sentiment inflation.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1656 on: February 03, 2021, 02:29:20 PM »

"Here is your coffee"

My patients used to complain about it all the time and I would cheerfully reply with a huge grin and a sing-along tone: "suck it up princess, you're in my house now"

I’ve noticed that the USA is one country where people are uncomfortable with unsolicited kindness and friendliness from anyone who is not a very close friend.
Some other places I’ve been it’s much more common to hug near-strangers and share with them what we would consider pretty intimate details of our daily lives.

I blame our Puritan founders

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1657 on: February 03, 2021, 05:04:02 PM »

"Here is your coffee"

I’ve noticed that the USA is one country where people are uncomfortable with unsolicited kindness and friendliness from anyone who is not a very close friend.
Some other places I’ve been it’s much more common to hug near-strangers and share with them what we would consider pretty intimate details of our daily lives.

I blame our Puritan founders

Really? Every time I go to the US, I'm always like "holy crap these people are intense with the friendliness". Like, I'm used to being unusually warm and open, I'm not used to people matching that energy.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1658 on: February 03, 2021, 05:24:18 PM »
I find Americans to be friendly and sincere but they hate to admit weakness or difficulty. Hence "LinkedIn culture" - everyone is constantly blessed and grateful for their amazing lives, and is promoting an image of same.

I'm pushing within my work sphere for people to be more open (including publicly, on LinkedIn) about failures, worries and disappointments. This cultural change can only be effected by people like me/us on these forums - i.e. senior workers who have no financial worries and whose word carries some clout. Obviously a junior employee can't go around saying how useless he or she is. So hopefully, in time, I'd like to see work culture focus more on realism rather than optimism/self-promotion.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1659 on: February 04, 2021, 05:16:32 AM »
I find Americans to be friendly and sincere but they hate to admit weakness or difficulty. Hence "LinkedIn culture" - everyone is constantly blessed and grateful for their amazing lives, and is promoting an image of same.

I'm pushing within my work sphere for people to be more open (including publicly, on LinkedIn) about failures, worries and disappointments. This cultural change can only be effected by people like me/us on these forums - i.e. senior workers who have no financial worries and whose word carries some clout. Obviously a junior employee can't go around saying how useless he or she is. So hopefully, in time, I'd like to see work culture focus more on realism rather than optimism/self-promotion.

I too was very big on promoting open discussion about failures and insecurities among my staff, and was very open myself about it. I just did it in a warm, positive, and supportive way where I normalized failure as part of the process.

I guess I'm just not familiar with this concept of optimism and positivity being equated with self promotion?

But I also don't have any of this humblebrag "grateful" shit on my LinkedIn either.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1660 on: February 04, 2021, 06:46:15 AM »
Related: I am sick of hearing how "deserving" people are. I watch a bit of HGTV (it's my go-to mindless entertainment). and it's starting to become pervasive there, and elsewhere. Drives me nuts.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1661 on: February 04, 2021, 07:39:55 AM »
in an abundance of caution...zzz...

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1662 on: February 04, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
Oh, come on now. Facebook is way, way worse than LinkedIn. I find LinkedIn reasonably useful, but I don’t go on it much. What drives me most nuts about LinkedIn is when people start posting stuff that really should be on Facebook. Or worse yet, stuff that really shouldn’t even be on Facebook or even spoken out loud or perhaps not even thought about except to dismiss it as irrational BS.

Aye! I have my LinkedIn curated to not show political/social media/feelgood type posts. If someone does post something annoying or offensive, easy to flag as "don't show my such posts from this person".

Also, I don't put too much info on my profile. simple dates and employers (not what I did at each workplace) and my industry certs. And I don't accept requests from people I don't know personally.

There's a lot of industry-related posts on my LinkedIn feed by knowledgeable folks in that sub-field/specialty.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1663 on: February 04, 2021, 07:55:48 AM »

I too was very big on promoting open discussion about failures and insecurities among my staff, and was very open myself about it. I just did it in a warm, positive, and supportive way where I normalized failure as part of the process.

I guess I'm just not familiar with this concept of optimism and positivity being equated with self promotion?

But I also don't have any of this humblebrag "grateful" shit on my LinkedIn either.

Optimism is fine, but self-aggrandising positivity shits me.

Unfortunately, because I'm in the legal industry, I have to deal with lawyers posting stories about their amazing triumphs, etc, boring, etc.

Unless your case set a precedent or something, it's not necessary to share - I guess I don't really have an issue with you posting about your wins as long as you also post about the losses. It just irks me because it's really unnecessary and I think self-congratulatory posts are unprofessional.

I'm fine with posts congratulating others, particularly those who are your rivals or competitors - I think that's classy.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1664 on: February 04, 2021, 08:03:49 AM »

Unfortunately, because I'm in the legal industry, I have to deal with lawyers posting stories about their amazing triumphs, etc, boring, etc.

Unless your case set a precedent or something, it's not necessary to share - I guess I don't really have an issue with you posting about your wins as long as you also post about the losses. It just irks me because it's really unnecessary and I think self-congratulatory posts are unprofessional.

I'm fine with posts congratulating others, particularly those who are your rivals or competitors - I think that's classy.

Ahh, clearly I somehow exist in a reality where I never see this crap, so I'm not familiar with it. I exist in a world where my colleagues are largely quite open about their struggles and are more likely to complain about their rampant imposter syndrome than humble brag about anything because everyone feels inferior.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1665 on: February 04, 2021, 10:42:06 AM »
Related: I am sick of hearing how "deserving" people are. I watch a bit of HGTV (it's my go-to mindless entertainment). and it's starting to become pervasive there, and elsewhere. Drives me nuts.

I find HGTV difficult to  watch precisely because they spend so much time on personal backstories any why each person "deserves" the makeover/renovation/life-coaching they are getting.

Reminds me of a poster my HS history teach had on his wall:  "Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else"

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1666 on: February 04, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »

Ahh, clearly I somehow exist in a reality where I never see this crap, so I'm not familiar with it. I exist in a world where my colleagues are largely quite open about their struggles and are more likely to complain about their rampant imposter syndrome than humble brag about anything because everyone feels inferior.

Yup, my world when I was working was just like yours.  I wonder if it's a difference between social services (it sounds like that's what you're in) versus money-earning businesses?  Those of us in SS see and deal with all the crap that happens in people's lives, which brings you down to earth pretty quickly.  But when you're trying to bring in business, you have to project an image of success in every way you possibly can.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1667 on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »

Yup, my world when I was working was just like yours.  I wonder if it's a difference between social services (it sounds like that's what you're in) versus money-earning businesses?  Those of us in SS see and deal with all the crap that happens in people's lives, which brings you down to earth pretty quickly.  But when you're trying to bring in business, you have to project an image of success in every way you possibly can.

N'ah, I'm in a highly profitable private medical industry. However, my industry is majority female, which I think makes a big difference.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1668 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »

I find HGTV difficult to  watch precisely because they spend so much time on personal backstories any why each person "deserves" the makeover/renovation/life-coaching they are getting.

Reminds me of a poster my HS history teach had on his wall:  "Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else"
OMG, that literally made me laugh out loud! Thanks, nereo.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1669 on: February 04, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
Just saw something in print - “exasperate” instead of “exacerbate.”  Not the first time I’ve seen it.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1670 on: February 04, 2021, 02:46:52 PM »
New one:  I seen that rather than I saw that or I have seen that. Drives me bonkers.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1671 on: February 04, 2021, 03:12:17 PM »
New one:  I seen that rather than I saw that or I have seen that. Drives me bonkers.

Yeah, I hear “I seen” quite a bit.  From a former boss, no less.  Couldn’t bring myself to correct him.

Also, typing “quiet” as “quite.”

Both things make me think the person has a low education level, but my boss had a university degree.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1672 on: February 04, 2021, 04:35:06 PM »

OMG, that literally made me laugh out loud! Thanks, nereo.

That reminds me of this company that makes snarky "demotivational" posters (and mugs, notepads, etc.) that make fun of motivational posters:

https://despair.com/collections/demotivators

(I have no financial ties with them. Just been enjoying their stuff for 20+ years.)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1673 on: February 04, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »

I used to have a tee shirt with that saying on it.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1674 on: February 04, 2021, 04:38:09 PM »
Unnecessary prepositions. I've been railing against "Where's it at?" for years, and lately I've been hearing, "Share it out" on podcasts and YouTube. "Where is it?" and "Share it" were perfectly fine on their own.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1675 on: February 04, 2021, 05:34:04 PM »

Yeah, I hear “I seen” quite a bit.  From a former boss, no less.  Couldn’t bring myself to correct him.

Both things make me think the person has a low education level, but my boss had a university degree.

Quite is a typo for quiet.  I transpose letters often and just hope I catch all my typos when I proofread.  It's worse on my tablet and phone.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1676 on: February 04, 2021, 06:06:38 PM »
Today a student used "comfortability" to mean "level of comfort"

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1677 on: February 04, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
Today a student used "comfortability" to mean "level of comfort"

Lol, I actually like that one

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1678 on: February 04, 2021, 06:46:57 PM »

Quite is a typo for quiet.  I transpose letters often and just hope I catch all my typos when I proofread.  It's worse on my tablet and phone.

Sometimes, maybe, but I see it so often, I think a lot of people just can’t spell it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1679 on: February 04, 2021, 08:01:09 PM »

Sometimes, maybe, but I see it so often, I think a lot of people just can’t spell it.

Or have seen the typo so often it no longer registers.

When spell check first came out there was a poem floating around in which every word was a correct spelling, but most of them were the wrong words.  I wonder if it is still around . . .   
Thanks Google, Ode to a spelling checker.  It starts:

Eye halve a spelling check her, it came with my pea sea

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1680 on: February 05, 2021, 04:35:47 AM »
Content-based spell-check still has a ways to go...

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1681 on: February 05, 2021, 06:04:46 AM »

Grammarly is amazing. I'm what people might call a "grammar Nazi" (there's another phrase that should probably go away), and it catches a lot of things that I miss.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1682 on: February 05, 2021, 11:58:43 AM »

Grammarly is amazing. I'm what people might call a "grammar Nazi" (there's another phrase that should probably go away), and it catches a lot of things that I miss.

What, afraid of offending nazis? But yes, I agree it should probably go away even though it captures that aspect of some people (like me) so succinctly.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: February 05, 2021, 01:01:48 PM »

What, afraid of offending nazis? But yes, I agree it should probably go away even though it captures that aspect of some people (like me) so succinctly.

It's not a fear of offending nazis - it's frustration at applying a negative stereotype to people for having the gall to expect others to use correct spelling and punctuation.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1684 on: February 05, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »

It's not a fear of offending nazis - it's frustration at applying a negative stereotype to people for having the gall to expect others to use correct spelling and punctuation.

And here I thought the issue was trivializing the horrors of Nazism...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1685 on: February 05, 2021, 02:49:23 PM »
FWIW, about half of my family was killed by the Nazis.  So... ‘grammar nazi’... not the same thing.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1686 on: February 05, 2021, 05:30:55 PM »

And here I thought the issue was trivializing the horrors of Nazism...

Yes, this is why I'm in favor of retiring the phrase. Regardless of intention, on this topic humor is too close to trivializing. I also agree with DadJokes that making it a negative to write well or be educated is saddening.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1687 on: February 05, 2021, 05:48:11 PM »
FWIW, about half of my family was killed by the Nazis.  So... ‘grammar nazi’... not the same thing.

Like you, several of my family members in my grandparents' generation were killed in the gas chambers by the Nazis. But my generation of the family has fought bloody wars in the grammar trenches, proofreading and copy editing for nearly twenty years in print and digital publishing, and I can assure you that it's more or less the same thing. /s

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1688 on: February 06, 2021, 07:06:10 AM »
We are proud supporters of our language.  If the French can have laws that protect the French language (talking France, not Quebec) why can't we love and cherish and protect our language.

I nominate "grammar advocate" for the new term.  "Grammar appreciator" might also work.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 06:26:56 PM by RetiredAt63 »

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1689 on: February 07, 2021, 10:02:23 PM »
Perhaps we are grammar sticklers?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1690 on: February 08, 2021, 07:37:11 AM »
We are not alone!

I saw someone elsewhere complaining about people not differentiating between "lightening" as in lightening the load, and "lightning" the bright flashes that accompany thunder.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1691 on: February 09, 2021, 08:34:46 AM »
Just saw one in the comments section of an article in the Vancouver Sun.  I guess they don't proofread comments.  The phrase was "illicit pity"  and the meaning of the sentence was "elicit pity".  I suppose illicit pity may be a thing, but not for that situation.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1692 on: February 09, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »
So many people say "try and ....." rather than "try to ....."  And is a conjunction, not a preposition.  I see this all the time in print also by writers!  Who should know better.  Grrrr.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1693 on: February 09, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
Just saw one in the comments section of an article in the Vancouver Sun.  I guess they don't proofread comments.  The phrase was "illicit pity"  and the meaning of the sentence was "elicit pity".  I suppose illicit pity may be a thing, but not for that situation.

Illicit Pity:  What supporters of Alexei Navalny express during demonstrations.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1694 on: February 09, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
So many people say "try and ....." rather than "try to ....."  And is a conjunction, not a preposition.  I see this all the time in print also by writers!  Who should know better.  Grrrr.

Yes! I hate this one! And yet... so many people use it that I'm afraid it's becoming an accepted "shift" in our language.  I don't mind shifts in language that come from new slang or from added convenience, but when a shift simply comes from ignorance, it drives me nuts. Most Americans know only one language. You'd think we could at least get that one right.

"Try and" always makes me think of two completely separate concepts. "We're going to try (try what? who knows!) and we're going to have that report on your desk by Friday."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1695 on: February 09, 2021, 01:01:47 PM »

Yes! I hate this one! And yet... so many people use it that I'm afraid it's becoming an accepted "shift" in our language.  I don't mind shifts in language that come from new slang or from added convenience, but when a shift simply comes from ignorance, it drives me nuts. Most Americans know only one language. You'd think we could at least get that one right.

"Try and" always makes me think of two completely separate concepts. "We're going to try (try what? who knows!) and we're going to have that report on your desk by Friday."

"Try and" just slides off the tongue.  "Try to"  requires enunciation of a "t" twice.  That takes a lot of effort.   /s.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1696 on: February 09, 2021, 05:12:51 PM »

This annoys me too, as does the general misuse of prepositions / doubling up of prepositions ("The hole in which we fell into.")

I also prefer prepositions to not end sentences with.

I also feel that people aren't very good at using prepositional phrases generally - they're such wonderful things, and easily stacked and nested as long as you have a good sense of cadence - and the mechanics of prepositions are not taught well enough.

I also get annoyed by people who try to make the verb agree with the object of a preposition rather than the subject of the sentence.

Yes - I am a grammar Na-, er, stickler

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1697 on: February 09, 2021, 07:03:33 PM »
"Never end a sentence on a preposition." When criticized for occasionally ending a sentence on a preposition, Winston Churchill replied, "This is the type of errant pedantry up with which I will not put." Churchill's reply satirizes the strict adherence to this rule.

Funny regardless of whether you agree or not.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1698 on: February 09, 2021, 07:04:19 PM »

Don't lawyers have to be careful with words?   I'm assuming you have read and appreciated Eats, shoots and leaves.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1699 on: February 10, 2021, 04:41:16 AM »

Don't lawyers have to be careful with words?   I'm assuming you have read and appreciated Eats, shoots and leaves.
Not just careful with words, careful with commas, too!