Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 11820 times)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #200 on: September 11, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
I also hate when I can hear the "t" in often.

Wait, really? Isn't that just how you say it?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/correct-pronunciation-of-often

Maybe it has something to do with English not being my first language. (Or even second, if a language I forgot counts)

Not really something I can change at this point. "Offen" just sounds...wrong.

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
"Where's it at?" instead of "Where is it?" Why add an extraneous word AND force the sentence to end with a preposition? My guess is that people start by using the contraction "where's" and then the sentence seems weird if they just end it with "it," so they tack on an extra word. I have a friend who likes to answer, "Behind the at."

(No, I don't think the preposition thing should be a hard and fast rule. I'm familiar with Winston Churchill's "That is a stupid rule, up with which I shall not put," but why re-create a perfectly good sentence to break a rule?!)

Also, +1 for unique being a word that is not modifiable. Something either is or is not unique.

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: September 11, 2017, 03:32:46 PM »
I'm sick of stupid-ass internet abbreviations:

DH
DW
DS
DD

But for some reason, I'm totally okay with FIL and MIL. I think it's the "Dear" part of the previous list that really bugs me.

Also sick of "hella."

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: September 11, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »

DH
DW
DS
DD

But for some reason, I'm totally okay with FIL and MIL. I think it's the "Dear" part of the previous list that really bugs me.

Also sick of "hella."

Yes!

I never use DH, but do use FiL, MiL, BiL.

How do you feel about SO? I don't object to it as strongly as DH/DH, but still think that partner suffices.

(Are we about to be blacklisted by darling militants?)

Oh, I also object to the premature promotion a boyfriend/girlfriend to 'partner'.

You're 22, not living together and you've been dating for five weeks!

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
PIN number
ATM machine
VIN number

I get why some folks might be bothered by this, but in my line of work we eat, drink, and breath acronyms.  Some of them are so similar that sometimes they need to have something to distinguish them.  I have a personal beef with this as well. I met a colonel in Iraq a couple years ago who decided to be a jerk about this. I asked her "We need to [coordinate some military stuff] our ABCS systems (Army Battle Command Systems)."  She then lectured me for five minutes why I was being redundant and incorrect, and by the end of her lecture never actually answered my original question.

If it was spoken as described, she may not have answered your original question because there was no question asked.  :P

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2017, 08:15:35 AM »
PIN number
ATM machine
VIN number

I get why some folks might be bothered by this, but in my line of work we eat, drink, and breath acronyms.  Some of them are so similar that sometimes they need to have something to distinguish them.  I have a personal beef with this as well. I met a colonel in Iraq a couple years ago who decided to be a jerk about this. I asked her "We need to [coordinate some military stuff] our ABCS systems (Army Battle Command Systems)."  She then lectured me for five minutes why I was being redundant and incorrect, and by the end of her lecture never actually answered my original question.

If it was spoken as described, she may not have answered your original question because there was no question asked.  :P

Well, after working with her for a few weeks and learning her level of competence it wouldn't have made much difference.

ncornilsen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »

DH
DW
DS
DD

Also sick of "hella."

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »

DH
DW
DS
DD

I hear you, but have to say I do like the straightforwardness of DH/DW/DS/DD, etc. I'll take that any day over the internet adorableness of things like "The FrugalTimbersFamily!" Mrs. FrugalTimbers. BabyTimbers. TheTimbersHound. And so on. College educated adults coming up with monikers like these. My disdain of such things probably started from reading a blog years ago when the author nicknamed her offspring Rock and HardPlace. Please.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2017, 05:25:06 AM »

DH
DW
DS
DD

I hear you, but have to say I do like the straightforwardness of DH/DW/DS/DD, etc. I'll take that any day over the internet adorableness of things like "The FrugalTimbersFamily!" Mrs. FrugalTimbers. BabyTimbers. TheTimbersHound. And so on. College educated adults coming up with monikers like these. My disdain of such things probably started from reading a blog years ago when the author nicknamed her offspring Rock and HardPlace. Please.

Yeah, those are twee as fuck.

Thank goodness there is another option apart from those and the D-suite.

When I refer to my husband on here, I say "my husband". Fairly straightforward but I think it could catch on.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2017, 11:19:13 AM »
I heard one yesterday that gets under my skin.  It makes me cringe when people talk about "DNA" for something that's not biological.  I guess it's in their corporate DNA to latch on to the latest buzzwords. 

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2017, 02:15:45 PM »
I gotta disagree on DH, DW, DS, DD--I think they're handy shortcuts.  Depending on your current point of view, the 'D' could stand for positive or negative descriptors:  "dear", "darling", "darn" "(edited)", etc.

I agree that the term "adult" as a verb is annoying, especially the way I see a lot of people use it on social media, but it *is* a handy alternative to "put on my big boy underwear and acted like a responsible adult, even though it's hard."

hoosier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
Triggered and safe space really annoy me, mostly because I just don't care about your feelings.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
Depending on your current point of view, the 'D' could stand for positive or negative descriptors:  "dear", "darling", "darn" "(edited)", etc.

... dickhead.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
I gotta disagree on DH, DW, DS, DD--I think they're handy shortcuts.  Depending on your current point of view, the 'D' could stand for positive or negative descriptors:  "dear", "darling", "darn" "(edited)", etc.
... dickhead.

I'm in the fan club for these acronyms. I would never say them aloud, but they're quite handy in my forum writing.

And I, in turn, hate MiL, BiL, etc. with the lower case "i". It's harder to type and twee as fuck. Use all caps, please. It's an acronym, FFS.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Miss Piggy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
It's harder to type and twee as fuck.

Twee. That's been said a couple of times in this thread, but I've never seen it before. I'll have to look that one up, but I suspect it'll end on on my "list of words I wish would go away."  :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »

DH
DW
DS
DD

Also sick of "hella."

Yes!

How do you feel about SO? I don't object to it as strongly as DH/DH, but still think that partner suffices.

(Are we about to be blacklisted by darling militants?)

Oh, I also object to the premature promotion a boyfriend/girlfriend to 'partner'.

You're 22, not living together and you've been dating for five weeks!
I'm definitely also opposed to DH/DW/etc, but not passionately so.  I don't mind SO or MIL/FIL/MIL.  Wifey and hubby make my skin crawl (wifey is worse for some reason).

"Partner" definitely shouldn't be applied too soon, but it can definitely be a boyfriend/girlfriend.  My girlfriend is my "partner" and we've been together for six years (I'm 26 and she's 25) and living together for five (and own two houses together, with our first paid-off and turned into a rental).

"Adulting" makes me think the person is anything but adult if doing something that responsible adults do is considered out of the ordinary enough to be noteworthy.

Tass

• Stubble
  • Working on a PhD and saving what I can!
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2017, 11:01:29 AM »
"Adulting" makes me think the person is anything but adult if doing something that responsible adults do is considered out of the ordinary enough to be noteworthy.

I think that's the point, linguistically. Using it as a verb indicates that you are acting as an adult in a specific situation, even if you feel you're not embodying the term in your life overall.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »

I think that's the point, linguistically. Using it as a verb indicates that you are acting as an adult in a specific situation, even if you feel you're not embodying the term in your life overall.
I could understand an 18-year-old being "proud" of "adulting" but I tend to see the term used by those in their 20s and 30s... you know, actual full-time should-be adults.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2017, 11:33:51 AM »

I could understand an 18-year-old being "proud" of "adulting" but I tend to see the term used by those in their 20s and 30s... you know, actual full-time should-be adults.

And then there is my age group.  We are so tired of being adults, we just want to have fun and be irresponsible (and not have to cook dinner again), so there are times we use "adulting" ironically.  Forget second childhood, I want a second teenagerhood, I was much too responsible the first time around.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
I have a hard time with boyfriend/girlfriend when it's people of a certain age, say above 40. It just sounds weird, so I default to partner.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
I also hate when I can hear the "t" in often.

Wait, really? Isn't that just how you say it?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/correct-pronunciation-of-often

Weird. I say often with the 't', and hasten as well. I would say that most in the South East of the UK would pronounce the 't'.

I'm racking my brain for the rest of the UK. I've basically lost my firm footing on pronunciation from home now - I have to think whether I would say 'kilo-meter' or 'kilometter', now (the former, I believe).
Lending Loop - Peer to Peer Lending for Canadians - $25 sign up bonus

My current yield is about 13%, but who knows. Loans do go bad. Caveat Emptor and all that.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »

Weird. I say often with the 't', and hasten as well. I would say that most in the South East of the UK would pronounce the 't'.

I'm racking my brain for the rest of the UK. I've basically lost my firm footing on pronunciation from home now - I have to think whether I would say 'kilo-meter' or 'kilometter', now (the former, I believe).

You'll start sounding like a Canadian one of these decades.  ;-)

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Not Your Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
mansplaining

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »

Ha... maybe. Not this decade though. I refuse to call petrol "gas" when it is *clearly* a liquid :P
Lending Loop - Peer to Peer Lending for Canadians - $25 sign up bonus

My current yield is about 13%, but who knows. Loans do go bad. Caveat Emptor and all that.

Accountant007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
"+100"
"+1000"

Almost like a competition to see who can add the most zeros.  I get it.  You strongly agree.  "+1" or "agreed" works.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #225 on: September 21, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

Ha... maybe. Not this decade though. I refuse to call petrol "gas" when it is *clearly* a liquid :P

Well that is just us being lazy - it is gasoline.  You know, gasoline, benzene, kerosene, . . . .  At least doughnuts (at Tim's) are still doughnuts, not donuts.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »

Well that is just us being lazy - it is gasoline.  You know, gasoline, benzene, kerosene, . . . .  At least doughnuts (at Tim's) are still doughnuts, not donuts.

But not gasolene?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: Today at 07:52:35 AM »
Another phrase I recently found out makes me angry

Any sentence that begins with "As a" to mean when someone identifies with a particular subject.

"As a college student who earns minimum wage..."
"As a public service worker...."
"As a recent homeowner...."

This is becoming just so overused. Like you HAVE to bring your own personal experience to have an opinion about something?

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: Today at 09:40:39 AM »
Another phrase I recently found out makes me angry

Any sentence that begins with "As a" to mean when someone identifies with a particular subject.

"As a college student who earns minimum wage..."
"As a public service worker...."
"As a recent homeowner...."

This is becoming just so overused. Like you HAVE to bring your own personal experience to have an opinion about something?

You wouldn't make it very far as an agile developer. We use that phrase all the time in our user stories.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #229 on: Today at 09:58:15 AM »

But not gasolene?

No.  That would be silly.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #230 on: Today at 10:24:16 AM »
"I know, right?"

Grrr.
Frugalite in training.