Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611792 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #2150 on: July 25, 2021, 04:41:50 AM »
My 3 year old son has created a new contraction and shortened "will not" to "willn't".  We keep correcting him and telling him it's "will not" or "won't" and willn't isn't a word, but he uses it incessantly.  It's driving mrs nacho crazy, but I think it's kind of funny.

No idea how he came up with it.  He's only 3 so he doesn't even know what a contraction is, but he willn't stop using it.

We're going through a series of adorable past tense isms with our 3yo. "Mummy, she tookened it away!" "She has gonned to bed." I love watching him learn rules and misapply them. He's so right...except for the bit where he's wrong. But the PROCESS is there, not just rote learning.

Sometimes it feels like English is 50% rule based and 50% memorization of when to break the rules.
…and then there is French.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2151 on: July 25, 2021, 04:48:49 AM »
Lately I’ve heard reports on the search-and-rescue efforts following a disaster and the reporter will say “and the death toll is expected to rise”  when s/he really means: “and more bodies are expected to be found”

Saying the former means people are still dying, but generally that’s not the case.  They are already dead, we just haven’t recovered their bodies to be certain. Reserve phrases like “the death toll continues to rise” when talking about situations where people are still being killed (e.g. pandemic, war) but not when the event has happened and danger has passes (e.g. the building collapse in Florida).

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2152 on: July 25, 2021, 06:47:39 AM »
"It doesn't pass the red-face test."

This is a weirdly popular phrase among managers at my work. My manager in particular says it constantly.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2153 on: July 25, 2021, 06:53:19 AM »

This is a weirdly popular phrase among managers at my work. My manager in particular says it constantly.

what does that mean??

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2154 on: July 25, 2021, 11:09:43 AM »

what does that mean??
Yea, I’d like to know too…

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2155 on: July 25, 2021, 11:18:11 AM »

what does that mean??

Google indicates that it seems to mean that it's a situation where no one would be embarrassed. I'm finding it hard to imagine how a manager would utilize that as a frequent metric though, unless they're a d-bag who constantly refers to their staff performance as embarrassing??

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2156 on: July 25, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »
Google indicates that it seems to mean that it's a situation where no one would be embarrassed. I'm finding it hard to imagine how a manager would utilize that as a frequent metric though, unless they're a d-bag who constantly refers to their staff performance as embarrassing??

From my previous experience with sales/marketing types, I'm thinking they're trying to find the line where their lies, exaggeration and hyperbole are just on this side of outright shameful. Could you utter this sentence to a client without being embarrassed for yourself and your company? It passes the red face test!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2157 on: July 25, 2021, 02:22:49 PM »

what does that mean??

Yes, the idea is that it would be embarrassing. It mostly comes up in reference to things other parties are trying to get us to agree to that we don't think are technically sound - "Why would we agree to that? It doesn't even pass the red-face test!"

I don't want to get into specifics, but this is a common situation in my job. But there are plenty of other ways you could describe it.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2158 on: August 10, 2021, 07:39:06 AM »
The term 'comfort food' is annoying to me.   Conjures up an image of a weak and needy and entitled person.   Just sayin,  lol.     

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2159 on: August 10, 2021, 08:55:40 AM »
The term 'comfort food' is annoying to me.   Conjures up an image of a weak and needy and entitled person.   Just sayin,  lol.   

I have GERD so most of those kinds of food actually cause me to experience discomfort.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2160 on: August 11, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »

I have GERD so most of those kinds of food actually cause me to experience discomfort.

LOL!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2161 on: August 17, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
The Globe and Mail, of all papers, has a headline: "Netflix's The Chair is a snippy, fast-paced peak at the foibles of a university English department."

Someone needs to learn to proof-read.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2162 on: August 17, 2021, 09:02:55 AM »
I think we need to cut the bullshit and start spelling it "Wendesday."

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2163 on: August 17, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »

You pronounce it wen-des-day?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2164 on: August 17, 2021, 10:20:53 AM »

Yeah, I was very onboard with the your whole sentiment, until you got to how you'd spell it.  The right answer is, of course, "Wensday"!

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2165 on: August 17, 2021, 10:25:22 AM »
I left the "e" in as a token of esteem, but sure: Wensday it is.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2166 on: August 17, 2021, 10:26:11 AM »

Yeah, I was very onboard with the your whole sentiment, until you got to how you'd spell it.  The right answer is, of course, "Wensday"!

Or we could just get it right and spell it Odinsday

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2167 on: August 17, 2021, 11:01:38 AM »

Odinsdag

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2168 on: August 17, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »

Odinsdag

Well if we're going to get into the weeds in terms of old English, then that's a whole other kettle of fish, and the very reason behind the wonky spelling in the first place. I proposed how Odin's Day would be spelled in current Standard English.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2169 on: August 17, 2021, 11:58:17 AM »
Call it whatever you want as long as we can stop calling it humpday...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2170 on: August 17, 2021, 12:14:38 PM »

How will people know which day to procreate on then?????

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2171 on: August 17, 2021, 12:37:51 PM »

Yeah, that's awful.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: August 17, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »
"Please advise" set me off in a company Email yesterday.   

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2173 on: August 18, 2021, 09:23:10 AM »
Homonyms seem to really get people - most likely because spell check is fine if the wrong word is still a word.  And since we have spell check we seem to no longer do our own proof reading.   :-(

So after the peak that should be peek the other day, I just saw gaul when they meant gall.  Does this mean we now have gaul bladders?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2174 on: August 18, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »
Homonyms seem to really get people - most likely because spell check is fine if the wrong word is still a word.  And since we have spell check we seem to no longer do our own proof reading.   :-(

So after the peak that should be peek the other day, I just saw gaul when they meant gall.  Does this mean we now have gaul bladders?

My bladder is Norwegian.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2175 on: August 18, 2021, 09:54:06 AM »

Oui oui?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2176 on: August 18, 2021, 10:08:11 AM »

Oui oui?
In French you must put spaces before colons, semi-colons, and question and exclamation marks. But not regular periods.

Oui oui ?
Oui oui.

I award you no cultural appropriation points.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2177 on: August 18, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »

Oui oui?
In French you must put spaces before colons, semi-colons, and question and exclamation marks. But not regular periods.

Oui oui ?
Oui oui.

Haha.  Fair enough, I know about 5 words in French, and it's VERY different from German, which is the only other language I am semi-proficient in. 

Do I get mildly amusing points, at least?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2178 on: August 18, 2021, 11:41:22 AM »

Oui oui?

Oui oui ?
Oui oui.

I swear I have French PTSD, symptoms of being an Anglo from Quebec

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2179 on: August 18, 2021, 11:54:36 AM »

I wish I had a Gaul bladder instead of a gallbladder; it would make eating French fries a much more comfortable experience. 
It might mean that I may or may not be allowed to play sports, depending on whether I have a cis- or transalpine Gaul bladder

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2180 on: August 18, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »

Oui oui?

Oui oui ?
Oui oui.

Haha.  Fair enough, I know about 5 words in French, and it's VERY different from German, which is the only other language I am semi-proficient in. 

Do I get mildly amusing points, at least?

You get points for being able to post a picture on the forum. I still haven't figured that out.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2181 on: August 18, 2021, 11:57:03 AM »

Oui oui?

Oui oui ?
Oui oui.

Do you not legally have to call it TSPT?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2182 on: August 18, 2021, 12:08:00 PM »

Oui oui?

Oui oui ?
Oui oui.

Do you not legally have to call it TSPT?

I don't live there anymore. Instead I live in the most French area of Ontario, go figure.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2183 on: August 18, 2021, 12:46:25 PM »

Should that not be homophones? (homonym = same spelling, multiple meanings; homophone = sound the same, spelled different)

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2184 on: August 18, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »
Every. Single. Phrase. that a certain co-worker utters.

I work in the nuclear industry and we have an outsized "inside baseball" vocabulary and acronym list as I know many industries do.  One guy I work with cannot utter a single sentence without tossing in at least one "nuclearism".

Drives me nuts.  He's a great guy but it's gotten to "nails on the chalkboard" level.

/rant

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2185 on: August 18, 2021, 03:01:19 PM »
You get points for being able to post a picture on the forum. I still haven't figured that out.

Enclose the URL of the image in "img" tags, like such:
Code: [Select]
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51uqhtJHmSL._SX441_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]
If the photo you want to post is on your local computer you should either use the attachment feature or upload it somewhere internet-accessible first.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2186 on: August 18, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »

Enclose the URL of the image in "img" tags, like such:
Code: [Select]
[img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51uqhtJHmSL._SX441_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/img]
If the photo you want to post is on your local computer you should either use the attachment feature or upload it somewhere internet-accessible first.

Thanks, I will try this method. I have tried the attachment feature on my phone and it always times out because the file is too large.

It worked!!! I took the picture out again because it was huge and not very funny.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 03:25:14 PM by Morning Glory »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2187 on: August 18, 2021, 05:20:11 PM »

Should that not be homophones? (homonym = same spelling, multiple meanings; homophone = sound the same, spelled different)

You are right.  OMG, you will all drum me off this thread for that!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2188 on: August 19, 2021, 05:27:07 AM »
"Overtop," as in "Put the noodles on the plate and pour the sauce overtop." This is not a typo, as this particular blogger does it all the time.

NO. "Overtop" is a VERB, and sometimes a very specific noun:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/overtop

verb (used with object), o·ver·topped, o·ver·top·ping.
to rise over or above the top of: a skyscraper that overtops all the other buildings.
to rise above in authority; take precedence over; override: No individual shall overtop the law.
to surpass or excel: a rise in sales that overtopped everyone in the industry.

noun
a top, sometimes sleeveless, designed to be worn over another garment, as a shirt or dress.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2189 on: August 19, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »
"Please advise" set me off in a company Email yesterday.

If it's any comfort, at least they didn't ask for advise.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2190 on: August 20, 2021, 08:01:51 PM »
"The DMV". 

I live in Washington, DC, and I think about 15 years ago, some people started referring to the DC-Maryland-Virginia metro area as "the DMV".  Aside from constantly thinking they mean the department of motor vehicles, when you're in this metro area, we're much more interested in knowing a more detailed location.  Imagine meeting someone in Manhattan and asking "where do you live?" and their reply is "the New York metropolitan area".  No, you really want to know if they're from the city, NJ, or CT, or brooklyn, queens, etc. 

It really annoys me, because I think they are embarrassed about where they live (as in they live in a well-off suburb and want to be seen as gritty)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2191 on: August 21, 2021, 01:38:59 PM »
One I’ve recently encountered:

This is a BOYS bike (or: This is a GIRLS bike) when talking about 16” bicycles meant for 3-8 year olds.

There’s literally nothing gender specific about these bikes - what’s meant is that the GIRLS bike is purple/pink and sometimes has Elsa on itwhile the BOYS bike is some primary color and might have stickers of construction vehicles. Yet when looking for a used bike for my 3 year old the sellers are often *SO SPECIFIC* about which gender this bike is for.  I even responded to one advertising a good BOYS bike only to get a curt response that I should “read the ad - this is a BOYS bike”.

FWIW a close friend of ours has a young boy who picked out his own bike for his birthday - and he selected a WonderWoman themed bike: “she’s awesome, cause she can fly!”

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2192 on: August 21, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »

This is a BOYS bike (or: This is a GIRLS bike) when talking about 16” bicycles meant for 3-8 year olds.

There’s literally nothing gender specific about these bikes - what’s meant is that the GIRLS bike is purple/pink and sometimes has Elsa on itwhile the BOYS bike is some primary color and might have stickers of construction vehicles. Yet when looking for a used bike for my 3 year old the sellers are often *SO SPECIFIC* about which gender this bike is for.  I even responded to one advertising a good BOYS bike only to get a curt response that I should “read the ad - this is a BOYS bike”.

FWIW a close friend of ours has a young boy who picked out his own bike for his birthday - and he selected a WonderWoman themed bike: “she’s awesome, cause she can fly!”

Wow the gender brainwashing starts early.

Of course there are so many colour choices now - when I was a kid bikes basically came in red, blue and green.  Later white showed up.  We decorated them ourselves.  Yes I feel like a Dimetrodon.    ;-)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2193 on: August 21, 2021, 04:25:23 PM »

Of course there are so many colour choices now - when I was a kid bikes basically came in red, blue and green.  Later white showed up.  We decorated them ourselves.  Yes I feel like a Dimetrodon.    ;-)

Mine had a banana seat and tassels on the handlebars. I used to stand up on the seat while the bike was coasting. That would have been harder with a boys bike.

I'm disappointed with my current women's bike. It has the lower frame to make it easier to ride in a skirt, but nothing to prevent the skirt from getting tangled in the back wheel or the chain..  I usually ride in shorts and change when I get to work, or if it's colder out I just wear pants that day. Totally defeats the purpose of having a different frame for women.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:32:15 PM by Morning Glory »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2194 on: August 22, 2021, 02:05:08 AM »
When we buy things for our 3yo, we give him a couple of pre-vetted options to choose from. We just ordered him a little rucksack for nursery. I offered red and blue tin soldiers, dinosaurs, and blue flowers. He chose blue flowers. I hope no one "comments" on it to him.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2195 on: August 22, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »

Mine had a banana seat and tassels on the handlebars. I used to stand up on the seat while the bike was coasting. That would have been harder with a boys bike.

I'm disappointed with my current women's bike. It has the lower frame to make it easier to ride in a skirt, but nothing to prevent the skirt from getting tangled in the back wheel or the chain..  I usually ride in shorts and change when I get to work, or if it's colder out I just wear pants that day. Totally defeats the purpose of having a different frame for women.

The lower frame is great for those of us with stiff knees.  On YouTube (I think "not just bikes") I saw bikes with covered gear assemblies, perfect for skirts.  Plus the really deep drop of Dutch bikes is nicer than the drop on my bike.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2196 on: August 22, 2021, 06:11:05 AM »
It really bugs me when people do the amusing strikethrough but put the struck through stuff AFTER the unstruck through word.

E.g. I find it really annoying frustrating arse over backwards when people do that.
I find it really frustrating arse over backwards annoying when people do that.

The whole idea is that you're writing and write something "wrong" first and THEN cross it out and write the correct word(s).

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2197 on: August 23, 2021, 08:57:37 PM »
I think the designation non-fiction has become oxymoronic.  Perhaps it should be retired.

I copy the best-sellers list from the Sunday paper, highlight the titles our library owns, and put it under the glass on the circ desk for patrons to reference.  This week's list of non-fiction nearly all appeared to be quite fictional in nature (especially those authored by Fox news staffers, yes, plural!).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2198 on: August 23, 2021, 09:00:04 PM »
I think the designation non-fiction has become oxymoronic.  Perhaps it should be retired.

I copy the best-sellers list from the Sunday paper, highlight the titles our library owns, and put it under the glass on the circ desk for patrons to reference.  This week's list of non-fiction nearly all appeared to be quite fictional in nature (especially those authored by Fox news staffers, yes, plural!).
Perhaps you could categorize it as Fantasy...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2199 on: August 24, 2021, 04:29:20 AM »

Perhaps you could categorize it as Fantasy...

Now that there’s a Dem in the WH, those titles are all dystopian in nature.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!