Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 115136 times)

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #950 on: June 19, 2019, 01:05:07 PM »
In dog-owner circles, there is a big differentiation in meaning between "buying" and "adopting."  For some it has become a moral/political issue.

There are tons of dogs in shelters that need homes. If they aren't adopted, a lot of them will be euthanized.  You do pay a small fee to the shelter to adopt, but this is not referred to as "buying."

There are also breeders and puppy mills who are producing new dogs to sell, as a for-profit enterprise, sometimes for $2,000+.  Getting a dog from this type of source is referred to as buying.

Technically I suppose buying a dog could be considered "adopting" it in some sense, but people in this world draw a strong line between the two ways of getting dogs.  (A friend of mine was very active in animal rescue work and had a slogan: "Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.")

My parents paid $10k to adopt me back in 1972.  I'm sure it profited the birth mom.  Does that mean I should tell people I was bought?

Surrogate mothers are paid to have babies for others: https://www.conceiveabilities.com/surrogates/surrogate-mother-pay
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:45:00 PM by Roadrunner53 »

marble_faun

• Bristles
« Reply #951 on: June 19, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
In dog-owner circles, there is a big differentiation in meaning between "buying" and "adopting."  For some it has become a moral/political issue.

There are tons of dogs in shelters that need homes. If they aren't adopted, a lot of them will be euthanized.  You do pay a small fee to the shelter to adopt, but this is not referred to as "buying."

There are also breeders and puppy mills who are producing new dogs to sell, as a for-profit enterprise, sometimes for $2,000+.  Getting a dog from this type of source is referred to as buying.

Technically I suppose buying a dog could be considered "adopting" it in some sense, but people in this world draw a strong line between the two ways of getting dogs.  (A friend of mine was very active in animal rescue work and had a slogan: "Don't breed or buy while shelter pets die.")

My parents paid $10k to adopt me back in 1972.  I'm sure it profited the birth mom.  Does that mean I should tell people I was bought?

No.  The words "adopt" and "buy" have a particular meanings in the pet world, which have no bearing on human adoption. 

(At least not until we arrive at some strange version of the future, with human birthing-mills and business where you go to pick out a child that has been bred for particular traits, etc. Then maybe the terms would be parallel.)

I also don't want to take this thread too far off track, so I will leave it at that! 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #952 on: June 19, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
I find the term TREATS offensive when my coworkers are talking about junk food left out by the coffee.  Treats are for training dogs.

Actually, I'm not offended at all; I just find it funny.  And it lets me feel smugly superior, which is really what life is all about.
Yeah, but "Trick or Snack" doesn't have the same ring to it...

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #953 on: June 19, 2019, 03:50:26 PM »

Reaaaly don't want to drag this thread off topic but responsible breeders that give a shit are not making money, or at least that's not their goal.  Breeding dogs is not cheap when done right.  We lost money on our last litter, and came out ahead on the previous one (if you only count costs directly related to the litter).  I hand-waved the numbers and that time we made almost $1/hr.   And it's a ton of work and derails your life.  It's a really bad way to make money.

There are plenty of backyard breeders making money cutting corners or "breeding" designer dogs, and they should be condemned, but not every breeder is a piece of shit and not every breeder is doing it for the cash.

This.  Most good breeders are lucky if they break even.  There are huge differences between breeders and back yard breeders and puppy mills.

Jouer

• Bristles
« Reply #954 on: June 21, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »

You totally should! "I was worth $10k as a baby but now I'm worth [net worth]. I'm a great investment!!"

;-)

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #955 on: June 21, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
Drives me up the fucking wall when people describe themselves as "humbled" when what they mean is "honored."

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #956 on: June 21, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
Someone probably said it already, but the phrase I most wish would go away is "President Trump".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #957 on: June 21, 2019, 10:49:50 PM »
Someone probably said it already, but the phrase I most wish would go away is "President Trump".
Amen!

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #958 on: June 22, 2019, 03:18:16 AM »
Amen!

Agreed!

Adam Zapple

• Bristles
« Reply #959 on: June 23, 2019, 07:02:58 AM »
I may have already commented on this, and I didn't read the entire thread, but I cringe at the phrase "No worries" when it is used in place of "You're welcome."  I hate it for some reason.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #960 on: June 23, 2019, 07:05:32 AM »
I may have already commented on this, and I didn't read the entire thread, but I cringe at the phrase "No worries" when it is used in place of "You're welcome."  I hate it for some reason.
Interesting--I actually really like it, if the intent is really there.  As in "hey, it was a pleasure, don't worry about it burdening me."  If it's just a rote phrase, though, then yeah...

sui generis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #961 on: June 24, 2019, 02:29:10 AM »
This isn't truly on point for this thread, but it's related and it really tickled me, so I thought I'd share.  Just finished a trip to Kenya and Rwanda and in hotels and other service-places, people often greet you by saying, heartily, "You are welcome" when you walk in.  I thought it was rather formal-sounding and sweet.  But when you do say thank you for something they do for you, the response is often simply "Welcome" and I thought how funny it was that they use the two phrases in precisely the opposite situations I use them.

Cool Friend

• Bristles
« Reply #962 on: June 24, 2019, 08:47:32 AM »

I've somehow slipped into the habit of doing this and I feel stupid every time I say it. I don't mind when people say it to me, but for some reason I think it sounds dorky coming out of my mouth.  Gonna have to condition myself to say Hakuna Matata instead.

John Galt incarnate!

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: July 07, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
In Tacked

^

Here is a most unusual misspelling of "intact."