Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 32012 times)

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #450 on: January 08, 2018, 02:30:01 PM »
Were gonna "make it our own"  in remodeling shows. Or " we need to have a space because we entertain alot"   Ever notice everyone on those shows entertains alot? I love those shows but they are really unrealistic in so many ways especially what they get some of those projects done for.
My favorite was watching one of those shows (years ago, no idea which one) and they kept saying things like "This would be a great place to sit and drink lemonade."  Always lemonade.  Are they not allowed to talk about alcohol?  Or do all these people really like lemonade that much?

"I need a north-facing bedroom so the morning sun doesn't interfere with my hangovers" doesn't translate well on Home & Garden Television.

I'm tired of hearing about people's housing "non-negotiables" and "must-haves."  Either the producers force them to come up with a few or none of them have any idea that you can't house-hunt off of a menu. Compromise and negotiation is part of the process.  Especially when you're operating within a tight budget.
I love when they talk about the couple being on a "tight budget" and then $700,000 flashes across the screen...

One of them "must have" all granite countertops while the other "must have" their "following their dreams" workspace plus room for their big screen TV, three vehicles, and they're DINKs with a combined $60k/year in a neighborhood where $250k is the starting price for that much square footage.
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

soccerluvof4

• Magnum Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #451 on: January 10, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »
Were gonna "make it our own"  in remodeling shows. Or " we need to have a space because we entertain alot"   Ever notice everyone on those shows entertains alot? I love those shows but they are really unrealistic in so many ways especially what they get some of those projects done for.
My favorite was watching one of those shows (years ago, no idea which one) and they kept saying things like "This would be a great place to sit and drink lemonade."  Always lemonade.  Are they not allowed to talk about alcohol?  Or do all these people really like lemonade that much?

"I need a north-facing bedroom so the morning sun doesn't interfere with my hangovers" doesn't translate well on Home & Garden Television.

I'm tired of hearing about people's housing "non-negotiables" and "must-haves."  Either the producers force them to come up with a few or none of them have any idea that you can't house-hunt off of a menu. Compromise and negotiation is part of the process.  Especially when you're operating within a tight budget.
I love when they talk about the couple being on a "tight budget" and then $700,000 flashes across the screen...

One of them "must have" all granite countertops while the other "must have" their "following their dreams" workspace plus room for their big screen TV, three vehicles, and they're DINKs with a combined $60k/year in a neighborhood where $250k is the starting price for that much square footage.

haha....And ten acres fenced in for our dogs to run.
" In life you don't get what you deserve you get what you negotiate"