Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 31900 times)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »
Just a thought on the "acceptable word treadmill" - It seems words that were used legitimately long ago such as idiot, imbecile but are now used exclusively as insults are ok to use as insults but not to describe a person with a mental disability. New words used to describe an actual condition are ok to use in context but not as an insult (that's how they get on the treadmill). Words that began as legitimate terms for a condition but have been used as an insult long enough that they are commonly recognized as an insult should not be used for their original purpose or as an insult. After enough time has passed to disconnect the word from it's original usage it may be acceptable to use as an insult.

Another thought this time on why people are resistant to these changes - Some people's response of "too much work, don't be so sensitive" is not because it really is too much work but rather because they don't like being corrected. No one likes being corrected and to be fair there are some word police who will correct you in a not so nice way. If I slip up and use a term that is offensive but debatably so or maybe I didn't even know that it was offensive, It sucks when somebody jumps on me and acts like I'm a dick for saying it. My immediate reaction might be "fuck you, I say what I want" not because I want to hurt people's feelings by using the word but because I'm being spiteful. In short I'd say a lot of people who are resistant to the evolution of words act that way because they don't like people correcting them.

I still miss the word "gay" in the sense of its use in South Pacific; somehow light-hearted does't quite convey the same meaning.  But it is gone from my vocabulary now, because meanings shifted.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

EMMoneY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »
"Broke" his/her "silence" - as used in entertainment media.  "Lulabelle broke her silence on Lulabub's affair."  Particularly when paired with "finally" - when it turns out the alleged silence was broken after a mere 4 hours of discovery.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
In parts of the southeastern US, you'll hear "I'm fixin' to go to the store" or some other variant. My favorite: "I'm fixin' to get ready to go..."

The first phrase is technically correct, while the second is redundant. :)

The misuse of "lose" and "loose" is especially grating to me.

"Going" doesn't really make any sense.  You be sitting on the couch with your laptop and be "going" to turn on your computer even though you don't plan to leave the couch.  No travel involved. 

One sense of the word "Fix" in the dictionary, on the other hand, is "prepare."  You can be preparing to get ready (meta-preparation), so fixing to get ready makes complete sense.  "Going to keep sitting on the couch" and "Going to go to the store" make none if you think about it. 

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
I still hear kids saying "Oh, that's so gay" sometimes. I don't know if they mean it as a homophobic putdown but I suspect they do. I doubt they mean "queer" as in "peculiar."

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
I still hear kids saying "Oh, that's so gay" sometimes. I don't know if they mean it as a homophobic putdown but I suspect they do. I doubt they mean "queer" as in "peculiar."

I called a kid out on it one time.  He got really apologetic. 

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #355 on: November 17, 2017, 05:18:01 AM »
"shitting out babies" - what a hideous, hideous turn of phrase.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »

What?  Fortunately I've never heard that before.  Is that a British thing?

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »

What?  Fortunately I've never heard that before.  Is that a British thing?

Absolutely not! I have never ever heard or read it in real life but have read it lots of times on this (largely American) forum.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
I strongly disagree that "retarded" is equivalent to a racial slur. It is a neutral descriptive word just like "delayed" or "handicapped." People will always find ways to call each other stupid, and whatever new euphemism is introduced, someone will soon start using it as an insult. It's an endless arms race. Remember the words idiot, imbecile, and moron? They were originally introduced as scientific, non-derogatory terms for degrees of mental deficiency.

I'm not arguing that it's equivalent to a racial slur, but what you call an arms race is just the natural evolution of language. None of us can control how our words are heard by others, but we can all choose which words we use. And words are only useful as long as we all agree on what they mean.

^This. You can argue all you want about the absurdity of the euphemism treadmill, but you don't get to choose how your words are interpreted by others, so choose them wisely unless you specifically aim to offend.

This thread is about words we wish would go away, not words we insist on using in spite of their effect on other people. I don't need to be lectured, thanks.

Boll weevil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »
The words and terms I really don't like are
-"perfect storm"
-"laser focused"
-Adding "-gate" to any scandal
-"honestly"

I'm getting tired of "fake news", and think the speakers/authors should get better at distinguishing between "fake news" (also known as lies) and "real gossip / information that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things".

I also think "hero" and "evil" are overused.

marble_faun

• Stubble
« Reply #360 on: November 17, 2017, 02:16:18 PM »

Ugh. I hate that too. Just a needlessly crude way of describing someone's family and the arrival of tiny, new human beings.
"Time flies pursue it Man. For why? thy days are but a Span."

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »
The words and terms I really don't like are
-"perfect storm"
-"laser focused"
-Adding "-gate" to any scandal
-"honestly"

I'm getting tired of "fake news", and think the speakers/authors should get better at distinguishing between "fake news" (also known as lies) and "real gossip / information that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things".

I also think "hero" and "evil" are overused.

I have to say, you're my hero for pointing out all these evil phrases :-)
Frugalite in training.

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #362 on: November 17, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I've read the whole thread, but I don't remember!

The very last time I ever met with my financial advisor, before quietly firing him and moving my funds to Vanguard, thanks to this forum, I counted the number of times he said "at the end of the day" while yammering on and on at me for half an hour about random market/investment junk. It was the only way I could stay focused and appear to be politely listening. He used that phrase 30-something times.

That said, even before that experience, I've always hated "at the end of the day," unless you're literally talking about something that will occur at the end of the day.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2017, 07:12:17 AM »
I hate it when someone posts "RIP" with regard to someone's death, particularly if it was someone they knew. I find it somewhat disrespectful to not spell it out, as it doesn't take that long to type "Rest in Peace".

GreenSheep

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
I hate it when someone posts "RIP" with regard to someone's death, particularly if it was someone they knew. I find it somewhat disrespectful to not spell it out, as it doesn't take that long to type "Rest in Peace".

Yes! And the same for HBD (Happy Birthday). If you can't be bothered to type or write 2-3 words, you probably don't care very much. (And HBD doesn't even make sense. Shouldn't it be just HB?)

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I've read the whole thread, but I don't remember!

The very last time I ever met with my financial advisor, before quietly firing him and moving my funds to Vanguard, thanks to this forum, I counted the number of times he said "at the end of the day" while yammering on and on at me for half an hour about random market/investment junk. It was the only way I could stay focused and appear to be politely listening. He used that phrase 30-something times.

That said, even before that experience, I've always hated "at the end of the day," unless you're literally talking about something that will occur at the end of the day.
The only exception is if you happen to be cast in "Les Miserables". Full props to you if you have that kind of vocal ability.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

C-note

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »
Kiddo(s) - especially in the setting of a job interview.  kiddos this - or kiddos that - or my kiddos - kiddos, kiddos, kiddos.  Ugh.  Stop already! 

You lose some professional points on my non-scientific interview scale and I actually tally the number of times the candidate uses "kiddo(s)" during an interview.

"Peeps" was another of my fingernails-on-a-chalkboard words but it appears to be dying a natural death. 

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Kiddo(s) - especially in the setting of a job interview.  kiddos this - or kiddos that - or my kiddos - kiddos, kiddos, kiddos.  Ugh.  Stop already! 

You lose some professional points on my non-scientific interview scale and I actually tally the number of times the candidate uses "kiddo(s)" during an interview.

"Peeps" was another of my fingernails-on-a-chalkboard words but it appears to be dying a natural death.

I think I might have brought up "peeps" in an earlier post on this thread. I'd love to see that one disappear altogether. The only time it should be used is in reference to that horrible, yet tastelessly funny, Easter treat.

+1 on "kiddos". Can we add "littles" to the list? Why do people need to use that one when referring to younger children?

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »

The only exception is if you happen to be cast in "Les Miserables". Full props to you if you have that kind of vocal ability.

Hahahaha! Yes (to both of you)!
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:30 PM »

... how would that come up in a job interview?

"Yes, I have a Working With Children check which means I'm cleared to work with kiddos."
"I'm married but don't have any kiddos."
"I was let go from my previous role for persistent use of the word kiddos."

C-note

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #370 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »

"Yes, I have a Working With Children check which means I'm cleared to work with kiddos."

I work in district administration for public school.  In our interview questions, there may be scenarios or "Tell us a time when . . . " questions which typically involves children in the responses.  Candidates will replace "children" or "students" with "kiddos" throughout their entire interview. 

And a resounding "YES!" @calimom on including "littles" along with "kiddos" on the list.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:05 AM »

I work in district administration for public school.  In our interview questions, there may be scenarios or "Tell us a time when . . . " questions which typically involves children in the responses.  Candidates will replace "children" or "students" with "kiddos" throughout their entire interview. 

And a resounding "YES!" @calimom on including "littles" along with "kiddos" on the list.
DW and I actually use "littles" when referring to our younger children (we have 6), but only to distinguish them as a group from the older kids, and not as an attempt to be cute. E.g. "I'll take the littles with me and leave the others at home."  It's a useful term, although it *does* only save a single syllable over "younger kids."

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #372 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
Just thought of one that bugs my DH too:

"go-to"

As in, "Bob is my go-to guy when I have computer problems."

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #373 on: November 30, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
I have a particular dislike of simple words or phrases from other languages that have been intentionally or unintentionally mangled.

Two examples:

"No problemo."

"Boocoo (beaucoup) bucks."

Ugh.
Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #374 on: November 30, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
I have a particular dislike of simple words or phrases from other languages that have been intentionally or unintentionally mangled.

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

If you ever visit Montreal you will be chatting with a lot of people who switch languages in the middle of a sentence.  Not to mention the Anglos who have anglicized a bunch of French words.  I didn't know what a 7-11 (corner store) was until University out-of-province, it was the depanneur ("I'm going to the dep, anyone want to come?").  We make bilingual jokes too - in Montreal people take the BMW to work - that is BusMetroWalk.

And at least bocoo bucks says beaucoup right, I hate walla for voila.  There is a v in voila.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #375 on: November 30, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

If you ever visit Montreal you will be chatting with a lot of people who switch languages in the middle of a sentence.  Not to mention the Anglos who have anglicized a bunch of French words.  I didn't know what a 7-11 (corner store) was until University out-of-province, it was the depanneur ("I'm going to the dep, anyone want to come?").  We make bilingual jokes too - in Montreal people take the BMW to work - that is BusMetroWalk.

And at least bocoo bucks says beaucoup right, I hate walla for voila.  There is a v in voila.

Yeah, I know. I'm a former French professor. I'm well acquainted with Montreal.

My problem is with using the words completely incorrectly.

The word "problemo" doesn't exist in Spanish. For example.

Please note: Libertarian4321 did not vote for either Hillary or Trump. He voted for Gary Johnson, who was the Libertarian candidate.

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: November 30, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Using them incorrectly would annoy me too.  I looked more at the beaucoup because I do know (well, used to know, I am an example of don't use it, you lose it) French, but no Spanish.  Plus "mangled" is not quite the same as "used incorrectly". 

Kris

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: November 30, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Using them incorrectly would annoy me too.  I looked more at the beaucoup because I do know (well, used to know, I am an example of don't use it, you lose it) French, but no Spanish.  Plus "mangled" is not quite the same as "used incorrectly".

"Mangled" refers to the fact that "problemo" is a mangled version of "problema."

And that "boocoo bucks" is a mangled form of, at minimum, Beau-coo d'argent. "Beaucoo bux," even if you were pronouncing beaucoup correctly, is basically saying "many money."

And then there's the hospital where I was born. Buena Vista Hospital, in Buena Vista county, Iowa. Pronounced "BYOO-nuh vista."

I was probably irritated by this even at birth.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #378 on: December 01, 2017, 02:18:15 AM »
I think "voila" should be banned because so many people mangle it. Walla and viola. ARGH.

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #379 on: December 01, 2017, 05:01:19 AM »
Shit ton. That one grates on me for some reason.

Iím also not a fan of the DH, DW, DD, DS shortenings for husband, wife, daughter, and son. I think itís because when I read it, in my head, Iím still hearing ďdear (however you are related to me)Ē and pretty much nobody ever says that out loud or writes that in full.
Less is more.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: December 01, 2017, 05:19:02 AM »
"Living the dream"
and
"Happy wife, happy life"

I constantly hear these phrases around the office from a bunch of uptight conservative white guys.

shelivesthedream

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #381 on: December 01, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
Shit ton. That one grates on me for some reason.

Iím also not a fan of the DH, DW, DD, DS shortenings for husband, wife, daughter, and son. I think itís because when I read it, in my head, Iím still hearing ďdear (however you are related to me)Ē and pretty much nobody ever says that out loud or writes that in full.

Especially since so many people (Mumsnetters, I'm looking at you!) use it while complaining about what a total waster their DH is. I know the D can allegedly stand for different things, but that's just a retrospective justification.

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: December 01, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Say La Vee.

dougules

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: December 01, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Say La Vee.

The whole English language is basically words or phrases from other languages that have been intentionally or unintentionally mangled.   

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #384 on: December 01, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
Experts
Subject Matter Experts (SME)
<topic> Guru, e.g. Cloud Guru
VP of <bullshit department>
Associate VP (you're just a glorified bank teller)
Senior VP (you're just the damn branch manager)

tastes like piss. (as if speaker has tasted it)
like so... like like.. stfu and say what you mean in a concise statement
Signature worthless. I'm worth more dead than alive. Wife and kids will collect. Or Uncle Sam will, you can rely on Him.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: December 01, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
tastes like piss. (as if speaker has tasted it)

Is the speaker a parent of a male child?  Let's just say that sometimes late night diaper changes go horribly wrong. . .

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: December 01, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
And to add to the piss foam, basswood is sometimes called piss wood because when it burns it can smell like someone peed on the fire.  Dandelion is also called pis-en-lit en FranÁais because it can have a diuretic effect. Et voila*, beaucoup des mots intťressants. Or as my students used to say, pas de problŤme.

*Voila - from voir - look at and la the thing to look at.  In other words, look at that.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #387 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »
These got me at first, but I'm used to it now, mostly thanks to time spent on this forum. In my head, the  "D" is shorthand for "person for whom I have great affection, even if they occasionally annoy the shit out of me." That's a lot of punch for two little letters. Given that this is an anonymous forum, we need a way to readily identify the other characters in the stories of our lives. The letters you listed convey meaning quite effectively. Also, DSD and DSS, because a lot of us have blended families.

There are plenty of words that one uses more in written communication than in casual conversation. There's an idea for a new thread...

And now, one of my one peeves, courtesy of "Hamilton". Rise up. Is there any other direction to rise?
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

mies

• Bristles
« Reply #388 on: December 02, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
These got me at first, but I'm used to it now, mostly thanks to time spent on this forum. In my head, the  "D" is shorthand for "person for whom I have great affection, even if they occasionally annoy the shit out of me." That's a lot of punch for two little letters. Given that this is an anonymous forum, we need a way to readily identify the other characters in the stories of our lives. The letters you listed convey meaning quite effectively. Also, DSD and DSS, because a lot of us have blended families.

There are plenty of words that one uses more in written communication than in casual conversation. There's an idea for a new thread...

And now, one of my one peeves, courtesy of "Hamilton". Rise up. Is there any other direction to rise?

I figured out what they mean pretty quickly. I don't like the cutesy pie nature of it. I know it's not going away. I am taking a stand and typing out wife every time I need to reference my wife in a post :)
Less is more.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: December 02, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »

I figured out what they mean pretty quickly. I don't like the cutesy pie nature of it. I know it's not going away. I am taking a stand and typing out wife every time I need to reference my wife in a post :)
Hmm, that's interesting, because while it probably originally had the cutesy connotation, those abbreviations have long since (at least to me) shed that feeling, and are now simply a shorthand way of saying "my wife", etc.

marble_faun

• Stubble
« Reply #390 on: December 03, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »
"butt-hurt."

In fact any use of the word "butt" by adults is questionable to me. The word sounds childish and awkward. Not polite, but not satisfyingly vulgar either.
"Time flies pursue it Man. For why? thy days are but a Span."

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #391 on: December 05, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
The term "rape" when it does not apply to sexual assault.

Example: Joe really got raped on the price of that house he bought.

UGH

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #392 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
"butt-hurt."

In fact any use of the word "butt" by adults is questionable to me. The word sounds childish and awkward. Not polite, but not satisfyingly vulgar either.
do you prefer "ass pain"?
Signature worthless. I'm worth more dead than alive. Wife and kids will collect. Or Uncle Sam will, you can rely on Him.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Bristles
« Reply #393 on: December 05, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

UGH

Yeah.  That one's a no-no around here.  We put it in the Forum Rules.

Toque.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
And rightly so!!

UGH

Yeah.  That one's a no-no around here.  We put it in the Forum Rules.

Toque.

Dabnasty

• Bristles
« Reply #395 on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

UGH
I wish I knew how to do away with this one. It's absurdly overused in the business world, at least in my experience but it's so ingrained I don't think you could even explain why it's a problem to some people. Whenever I hear it I feel sick thinking that someone who's been effected by sexual assault might overhear.

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
These got me at first, but I'm used to it now, mostly thanks to time spent on this forum. In my head, the  "D" is shorthand for "person for whom I have great affection, even if they occasionally annoy the shit out of me." That's a lot of punch for two little letters.

Hmm, that's interesting, because while it probably originally had the cutesy connotation, those abbreviations have long since (at least to me) shed that feeling, and are now simply a shorthand way of saying "my wife", etc.

Personally, I am quite attached to the "DH" label, because it conveys the precise meaning Dicey provides.  I love the ambiguity (i.e., am I saying it straight, or with an implied irony font?).  It is pretty rare to find two little letters that can convey so varied a meaning depending on the context.

Besides, typing out "husband" all the time is 75% more inefficient than typing "wife," and 250% more inefficient than "DH."  And this board is all about efficiency.  ;-)
Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Spiritual_Lobotomy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: December 06, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
the absurd use of the word "like"  (ex.  "Oh yeah, I haven't been there for like 5 years") And I'm Like totally serious....

and the present participle or past tense overuse of the word "fuck"  (ex.  "Can We All Stop This Fucking Complaining About our Government?") to quote MMM

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Totally agree with "laser focused" as mentioned half a page above.  I just finished reading a couple post mortems laced with "laser focused" and I wanted to reach into the screen and slap the people that wrote them.

I'm also going to add "team".  I'm so tired if getting e-mails that start off with "Team, " that one of these days I'm going to stand up and scream right in the middle of cubeland at work...  I can't even stand it when the news reports on "sports teams" anymore because of how abused and overused "team" has become!

Laura33

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: December 12, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »
I'm going to nominate "fun," when used to describe a component of interior design.  A/k/a "these tiles with the giant neon-blue-and-orange geometric pattern are so fun!" 

Just say what you mean:  "These tiles are bat-shit crazy loud.  But your all-white kitchen is boring and sterile and needs some personality.  Unfortunately, you don't have any, so let's see if we can fool people into thinking you do by installing something completely insane."

Also, "a pop of color."  Ugh. 

Yes, I am far too fond of home shows. 
Laugh while you can, monkey-boy