Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 168605 times)

seemsright

• Stubble
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1100 on: September 23, 2018, 06:21:27 PM »
Spending days to make some beef stock in my crock pot and then using that stock to make some french onion soup.

I enjoy making soup in general. Tomorrow I am going to make some tomato basil. I just love soup season!

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1101 on: September 23, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
My beautiful black suede and leather tall boots fit again.

I had gained about 20 lbs over the last 7 years due to depression, overeating, and inactivity. I bought these beautiful boots on clearance about 8 years ago and haven't been able to wear them in at least 2 years because of weight gain. I've worked hard to drop 17 lbs since June 1, and the boots fit again as of this evening (I couldn't zip them up 6 weeks ago).

I found out last week that a beloved dress that hasn't left the closet in 3 years also fits again. Yay for a free wardrobe expansion!

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
  • massage therapist, database guy, worder
    • Mole
« Reply #1102 on: September 24, 2018, 08:42:44 AM »
My friend of Russian heritage coming over for blini.

We sit around the table talking and laughing while making these thin little semi-sweet pancakes on the griddle and throwing anything into them, cleaning out the fridge, basically: tonight what we've got is lox for a start and ginger preserves for a finisher, and who knows what she's going to bring.

Kind of a variation on stone soup: you can make blini out of practically anything.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1103 on: September 25, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
Itís pouring rain to the point that the street is flooded in front of out house. Husband has the day off and I work from home, so weíre spending a cozy morning sipping coffee and being grateful that we donít have to go outside for a few hours.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1104 on: September 26, 2018, 04:43:01 AM »
Homemade chicken noodle soup.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1105 on: September 26, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
While disposing of some old televisions at my local hazardous waste/e-waste drop off location, I noticed they had a section off to the side offering free cleaning supplies and used cans of paint. I took away full bottles of Goof-Off and toilet bowl cleaner. Sounds weird to say, but walking away with free toilet bowl cleaner that someone else got rid of kinda made my day.

I scored a nearly full bottle of toilet bowl cleaner from the trash room at my complex when some neighbors moved out. I was very pleased with myself every time I used that free bottle of (name brand!) free toilet bowl cleaner. :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1106 on: September 28, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
My friend of Russian heritage coming over for blini.

We sit around the table talking and laughing while making these thin little semi-sweet pancakes on the griddle and throwing anything into them, cleaning out the fridge, basically: tonight what we've got is lox for a start and ginger preserves for a finisher, and who knows what she's going to bring.

Kind of a variation on stone soup: you can make blini out of practically anything.

This sounds really lovely!

CheapScholar

• Bristles
« Reply #1107 on: September 28, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
Just stopped at Aldi and got a bunch of food.  I wasnít keeping track in my head at all and expected the cashier to say it was at least $60.  Ended up being $30.

okcisok

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1108 on: September 29, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
More Trash Room Treasure! I didn't think about it being the end of the month when I went to drop off trash/recycling. The trash room was neatly stacked with tons of great stuff with a note that said it was all free for the taking. Judging by the randomness of the amalgamation, someone just got tired of packing and moving. I got two new looking barstools, many cleaning products, even some kitchen tools that were neatly wrapped in plastic. A large storage tub was stacked with dishes & serving utensils, even small appliances. At the bottom of the pile I found a furniture dolly and a 36-bottle flat of water! I stacked everything on the furniture dolly and rolled it to my apartment. I'm giddy over my new free items!
If it's not all gone by the end of the weekend, I'll take it to Goodwill jic our maintenance team decided to throw it in the Dumpster.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1109 on: September 30, 2018, 09:29:06 AM »
Reading great books from the library, either digital copies or actual ones.

Sometimes the waitlist can be incredibly long for electronic copies of popular books but there's something so awesome about waiting it out and seeing the email notification show up a couple weeks or months later saying it's yours for the reading :)

I used to buy new books compulsively if I wanted to read them. Now that they're the Gazingus Pin I've given up for 2018, I can honestly say not buying them has 1) freed up more cash to invest, and 2) produced a new appreciation for delayed gratification

Penn42

• Stubble
« Reply #1110 on: September 30, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
Reading great books from the library, either digital copies or actual ones.

Sometimes the waitlist can be incredibly long for electronic copies of popular books but there's something so awesome about waiting it out and seeing the email notification show up a couple weeks or months later saying it's yours for the reading :)

I used to buy new books compulsively if I wanted to read them. Now that they're the Gazingus Pin I've given up for 2018, I can honestly say not buying them has 1) freed up more cash to invest, and 2) produced a new appreciation for delayed gratification

I never utilized the library very much until MMM.  I never bought many books and the ones I did buy were always from local used stores, but I gotta say I'm a complete library convert now. 

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1111 on: September 30, 2018, 01:03:45 PM »
Being able to afford to stay home with a good cup of coffee - with fancy milk foam and what not, without any impact on my budget.

Yes, the library - although I often cuss it, since they don't always have what I want to read - so I've begun to see that as my opportunity to hang out at B&N, spend a bit on a new book and coffee and a croissant - what's not to love?:)
Being Mustachian I have a 20% discount card and I often find something in specially reduced section too:)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1112 on: October 02, 2018, 06:29:18 AM »
A call from a far away and cherished friend.

I have a family friend who is almost 98 years old.  She's known me my whole life, and is like my grandma.  She called me yesterday just to see how I was doing, and it just made my day.  I'm traveling to visit her in a few weeks and am so looking forward to it.  I appreciate her even more now that my bio-grandmas and my mom are gone.  Relationships with elders are so, so precious.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1113 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:48 AM »
Free banana at work.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1114 on: October 02, 2018, 07:59:51 AM »
Getting a ďjust-becauseĒ snail mail postcard from a friend!

And sending one back. Snail mail is such a simple and cheap delight.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1115 on: October 04, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
On my walk last evening I saw a bat and a toad, which made me really happy.

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1116 on: October 04, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
Dinner came out delicious. I'm happy about my cooking skills :P

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1117 on: October 06, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
+1

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1118 on: October 06, 2018, 05:30:55 PM »
+1

+2. Husband is currently scraping the last bits from his bowl.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1119 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
hummingbirds at the feeder on my balcony
reasonably cheap delicious Greek food at the festival a short walk from my home

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1120 on: October 06, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »
The feeling of satisfaction from a DIY job finished right.  Today I fixed the ignition cylinder in my car, changed the oil and replaced the front sway bar bushings.  Total cost: about $5 for two new car keys, about $11 for the oil and filter, and $6 for the bushings.

Even better, in the process, I discovered that the shop that did the alignment (after I replaced a tie rod bellows) didn't bother to untwist the bellows after adjusting the tie rods.  It literally took me less than five minutes to remove the wheel, loosen the bellows, untwist it, and put the wheel back on, but I'm pretty disappointed in seeing them take such a shortcut that saved them maybe 30 seconds at the time.

Money Badger

• Bristles
« Reply #1121 on: October 07, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »
I spent $28 at Walmart for a new cooler today.   I felt so spendy for getting it when we have other coolers, but it is perfect for our needs (perfect size, good Igloo made in the USA, matches our team's colors, wheels on it, nice lid/cup holder setup for tailgates).    I'm sitting here 8 hours later still admiring it and thinking about good times ahead, so yes, it was a good buy and today was a good day...

mountain mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #1122 on: October 07, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
I made homemade posole, with green chiles I roasted myself, and it came out amazing! And cheap to make, too!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1123 on: October 08, 2018, 02:21:05 AM »
Studying my books for a new (for me) mushroom species that I found that day and being able to figure out with 100% certainty which specie it is.

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1124 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:43 AM »
Ability to video call and see my family that lives far away. I call them almost daily and these conversations make me very happy(Well, most of the times!). I remember using Skype a few years back and it was always buffering. Video calling was always messy. Now, whatever app I use (Whatsapp or Viber etc ) the quality is great. Thank you technology.

Raenia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1125 on: October 08, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
Trying a new recipe and having it come out well!  Made saag paneer, with home-made paneer, despite no experience with cheese-making or Indian cooking.  Surprisingly easy, and delicious.  Will have to add more Indian recipes to my rotation.

mathlete

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1126 on: October 08, 2018, 09:13:31 AM »
Ability to video call and see my family that lives far away. I call them almost daily and these conversations make me very happy(Well, most of the times!). I remember using Skype a few years back and it was always buffering. Video calling was always messy. Now, whatever app I use (Whatsapp or Viber etc ) the quality is great. Thank you technology.

True to your name!

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1127 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:35 AM »
Using a long weekend to spend a lot of time with friends/family, make new recipes and basically try out the FIRE life I'm working so hard toward.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #1128 on: October 08, 2018, 02:27:30 PM »
Using a long weekend to spend a lot of time with friends/family, make new recipes and basically try out the FIRE life I'm working so hard toward.
good on you zeli!

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1129 on: October 08, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »
Trying a new recipe and having it come out well!  Made saag paneer, with home-made paneer, despite no experience with cheese-making or Indian cooking.  Surprisingly easy, and delicious.  Will have to add more Indian recipes to my rotation.
Sounds delicious !! In similar type, you can try palak paneer, paneer tikka masala etc.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1130 on: October 08, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
Spent about $100 this past week and 9 hours of work putting a custom wood trim paneling above our fireplace in the 2 floor great room. When we built our house 5 years ago it was almost $1000 to have them do it. With little kids in the home it took 5 years to get to it but itís been gotten to.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1131 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »
My choir started rehearsing tonight for our Christmas concerts. I love singing with these people.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1132 on: October 09, 2018, 12:57:21 AM »
Learning Spanish on the free app Duolingo.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1133 on: October 09, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »
Hilary Hahn plays Bach.  The new album, released last week.  Available on your favourite streaming site.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1134 on: October 11, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
The first dry, cool air of the season after a particularly long, hot, humid summer
I've decided cold fronts should be named as well as storms. I call this "Cold Front Pumpkin Spice WhatEVrr".

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1135 on: October 11, 2018, 09:02:19 PM »
Hot cup of coffee when raining
Driving when raining
Being warm in the home when raining
Dripping sound on your windows when raining
All makes me happy :) I enjoyed all of them today.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1136 on: October 11, 2018, 10:37:37 PM »
Reading these forums with fresh cup of coffee on a friday morning.

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1137 on: October 12, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »
Wow. I second that.

mountain mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #1138 on: October 12, 2018, 08:13:08 AM »
Coffee on the couch, watching snow fall outside the window. Ahhhh I love Winter!

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1139 on: October 12, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
Watching hilarious barbershop quartet routines (Main Street, Newfangled Four, Fred, Rural Route 4, Storm Front, etc) on youtube.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1140 on: October 14, 2018, 06:01:54 AM »
Getting your senses of smell and taste back after a bad head cold. (after you get through the "everything smells weird" stage)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1141 on: October 14, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
Potluck dinner with friends on a Saturday night :)

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1142 on: October 14, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »
Alone time in my home.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1143 on: October 14, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »
Finally, a day off with my husband and a sunny afternoon! It seems like the weather is terrible every other time we have a day off together. Iím going to push for a long walk in the state park downtown.

Edit: the long walk happened. Deep blue sky, bright blue sparkling water, a bit of color on the trees, and lots of white sailboats against the blue sky and water. Also a heron bobbing in the Detroit river that looked a tiny Loch Ness monster from shore.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:59:18 PM by OtherJen »

gmdv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #1144 on: October 14, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »
Meditate.  Been reading up on how meditation produces more gamma brain wave.

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1145 on: October 14, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »
Meditate.  Been reading up on how meditation produces more gamma brain wave.
Do you follow any specific type of meditation? I'm interested in that area and wanted to incorporate that into my life.

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1146 on: October 14, 2018, 08:30:59 PM »
The weather when its little cold.
The small plants that I grow on the side of kitchen windows.

gmdv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #1147 on: October 15, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »

Do you follow any specific type of meditation? I'm interested in that area and wanted to incorporate that into my life.

I think what I do might be call mindfulness meditation?  All I do is observe my breathing and any thoughts that pop up.

FamilyGuy

• Stubble
  • I'm changing things
« Reply #1148 on: October 15, 2018, 06:01:08 AM »

I think what I do might be call mindfulness meditation?  All I do is observe my breathing and any thoughts that pop up.
Ok thanks. I have heard about that but is time to practice it.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1149 on: October 15, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
I've lost a decent amount of weight since last fall. My beautiful wool and cashmere sweaters that I bought pre-weight gain now fit again. It's like free new clothing.