Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938423 times)

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #250 on: September 18, 2017, 06:58:54 AM »
Non-apple brand lighting chargers

I have a genuine Apple charger at home and at work, but my husband tends to leave chargers in hotel rooms so I buy him cheap colourful ones. The rule is that the white one is not allowed to leave the house.

I also bought him a three-metre lightning cable to leave next to his bed so of course he ended up putting it in the car. >.<

My apple ones keep breaking, which is super lame, so cheap replacement ones with woven cords make me VERY HAPPY :)
I had problems with earbuds breaking.  And some of them cost way more than charger cables.  I bought some liquid goop that is for repairing the coating on dishwasher racks.  It goes on thick and dries stiff - neither to rigid or flexible.    I haven't had earbuds break where I put the coating on.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #251 on: September 18, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »
Fixing anything that is broken:
DW wanted to toss out my 25 yr. old vac a couple of times but I keep resuscitating it with replacement parts or self-manufactured parts.
Also fixed our ancient oven a couple of times before it gave up the ghost
Just fixed a recalcitrant Dremel tool that I tried to sell at a yard sale. Man that felt good!

Using (or seeing others use) anything I built myself (sailboat, canoe, chairs, kids wagon, cutting boards, futon and too many others to list here).

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #252 on: September 18, 2017, 07:51:49 AM »
Non-apple brand lighting chargers

I have a genuine Apple charger at home and at work, but my husband tends to leave chargers in hotel rooms so I buy him cheap colourful ones. The rule is that the white one is not allowed to leave the house.

I also bought him a three-metre lightning cable to leave next to his bed so of course he ended up putting it in the car. >.<

My apple ones keep breaking, which is super lame, so cheap replacement ones with woven cords make me VERY HAPPY :)
I had problems with earbuds breaking.  And some of them cost way more than charger cables.  I bought some liquid goop that is for repairing the coating on dishwasher racks.  It goes on thick and dries stiff - neither to rigid or flexible.    I haven't had earbuds break where I put the coating on.

Cool tip!!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #253 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »
Today a trip with two friends in our local forest fouraging for mushrooms. We ate homemade sandwiches for lunch. No money spent today.

Linda, how did you learn to tell the edible ones from the poisonous ones?

I starting simple with a mushroom book and learning 1 or 2 new species per year, go out in the forest a lot and pick them a lot. Double checking with book, internet, and preferably another person. Then you'll get very good and certain at these species. I did this for about 14 years...

Tomorrow morning I will do an official test. If I pass that test I will be allowed to officially check other people's mushroom baskets. I think that will become my little hussle as you can actually receive some tax free money (approx 1100 USD/year) for manning the public "have your mushroom basket checked" events on Sunday afternoon, or for manning the digital app where people can send in pictures of their findings on their phone, or for giving guided mushroom tours. I was already invited as an assistant for such a tour, but was on vacation at that point.

Very interesting, thanks! I have noticed that foraging for mushrooms is a weekend hobby for some of my European friends, and I was curious.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »
Sleep. Getting enough of sleep.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2017, 08:27:42 PM »
Tacos.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2017, 12:49:37 AM »
Sleep. Getting enough of sleep.

+1!
It's a pity that this is so challenging to do on normal working days. But I've learned to go to bed pretty early (around 10pm) so that I can get my 8 hours of netto sleep.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:23 AM »
- Going to bed really early (like 8:30)

- Getting up early and having the quiet world to myself for a couple hours. I do my best thinking early in the morning, and I feel the happiest. 

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »

- Getting up early and having the quiet world to myself for a couple hours. I do my best thinking early in the morning, and I feel the happiest.

Indeed, to add to this, I feel an almost limitless optimism in the early AM.

Walking to get errands done rather than getting in my car.

Drinking my homemade cold brew coffee

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Boondocking/dispersed camping out in the woods.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
space heaters. Okay, not cheap when it's my electricity. But well loved anyway

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »
My neti pot was cheap and makes me happy. 

radtek2112

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Boxed wine. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »

I'm going to add heating pads and heated blankets to the mix. When you need 'em, they're AMAZING.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 03, 2017, 03:13:06 AM »
Netflix!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2017, 06:33:35 AM »
Buying my free Kindle book from the Samsung book deal on my phone. I can choose from 4 books every month. Usually only 1-2 sound interesting. I send them to my Kindle and read them there, as I don't like reading a book on a phone.

reformingSucka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
walking into a warm space from the cold.
microwaving my homemade frozen meal (like lentil soup), and the satisfaction of knowing that I just finished "cooking" dinner
watching hummingbirds outside the window
walking outdoors around the neighborhood and catching a cool breeze
watching autumn leaves fall
sitting outside and listening to the rustle of tress and the chirping of birds
taking deep breaths and resetting to the gratitude of being alive

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
homemade pumpkin doughnuts and mulled hot apple cider. perfect for the first cold weekend of fall.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2017, 03:00:57 PM »
Figuring out a new recipe for the repertoire.  I get a good sense of accomplishment coupled with tasty results, double win.

Played around with braised pork shoulder with roasted carrots and sweet potatoes.  Pork shoulder is just over $2/lb and I was every bit as happy with the results as when we did a beef pot roast for 3x more.  Spent about $15 on a big batch with 5 lbs of meat that covered 3 meals for 3 people, and made 4 lunches.  Really good paired with a almost no-kneed loaf for sopping up juices with.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2017, 09:26:27 PM »
Learning something interesting.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »
Oatmeal made with pumpkin pie spice and topped with a banana.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
My squeeze bottle that holds my cooking oil.
My plastic avocado gadget.
A $1.25 kid’s scoop of ice cream on Tuesdays.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2017, 05:30:46 AM »
Doing small repairs/improvements of your house by yourself. Like painting something that needs paint.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »
Brushing my dog
Walking the neighborhood - especially once the weather gets cooler
Finding/Picking hidden veggies from the garden
Reading
Doing puzzles

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2017, 08:07:21 AM »
Nice question LJ! BOOKS! And Netflix (the only service I pay for but I loop in the others which let me watch One Mississippi or Bojack Horseman or Younger or whatever I am slowly enjoying). And choir, which is $100 for a 4.5 month season. Movies, which I go to free. Pay what you will museum nights. Walking in the park. The subway (so many people co-existing). Walking around Brooklyn. Someone mentioned blankets so I'll say throws, they make me so cozy (I am usually cold). My plants even though I don't take super good care of them! Cat and jungalow accounts on instagram. The $2.50 empanadas from the empanada cart...

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
Listening to my children laugh together when they are playing nicely together.

This.

There's nothing like the sound of their giggles when they're having fun together. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2017, 03:04:11 PM »
Hiking. I just met someone recently and we got to talking about the places we like to travel to. After a bit, she commented that pretty much every place I talked about included the word, "hiking". I may just be a wee bit obsessed.

I'd also like a lot of other outdoor activities - but really avoid getting into activities that cost money. Other than canoeing. That's my other obsession.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »
Listening to my children laugh together when they are playing nicely together.

This.

There's nothing like the sound of their giggles when they're having fun together. Makes me smile just thinking about it.

The best sound in the world!! :) Only to be topped by the whole family laughing together.

I also extend that goodwill outside my family circle. I know people often grumble about noisy kids, annoying teens or whatever. If they're smiling and laughing, the noise never bothers me and never fails to make me smile.

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »
I'll add:

Something that happens on this forum all the time, and something I saw first-hand during the recent hurricanes: people helping people

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
Today a trip with two friends in our local forest fouraging for mushrooms. We ate homemade sandwiches for lunch. No money spent today.

Linda, how did you learn to tell the edible ones from the poisonous ones?

I starting simple with a mushroom book and learning 1 or 2 new species per year, go out in the forest a lot and pick them a lot. Double checking with book, internet, and preferably another person. Then you'll get very good and certain at these species. I did this for about 14 years.

Last year when I knew about 15 species, I did a 40 hour course (two weekends from Friday evening to Sunday evening) to learn the 120 most common species (edible and poisonous). The course was very reasonably priced. It was difficult to absorb all the information on the course, as I new so little to start with. The whole winter I studied the course book several times and read about the same species in other mushroom books.
The whole summer and autumn I have been offered and attended several free repetition courses where we go out to pick and discuss the findings with an expert afterwards. From June on I have spent most of my free time in the weekends searching for mushrooms and trying to give determine their names afterwards.
We have a facebook group for people like me where we lay out pictures as exercices and we need to provide the name and a good description. There are experts and a biology teacher in the group who correct us.
Tomorrow morning I will do an official test. If I pass that test I will be allowed to officially check other people's mushroom baskets. I think that will become my little hussle as you can actually receive some tax free money (approx 1100 USD/year) for manning the public "have your mushroom basket checked" events on Sunday afternoon, or for manning the digital app where people can send in pictures of their findings on their phone, or for giving guided mushroom tours. I was already invited as an assistant for such a tour, but was on vacation at that point.
Do the blue/green bruising ones go into the special pile for later use to watch the northern lights on?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 05, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
Doing small repairs/improvements of your house by yourself. Like painting something that needs paint.

Or coming home late in the evening from a board meeting to find that DH has painted the fireplace that needed painting.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: October 05, 2017, 01:46:30 AM »
I looked after a deliciously cuddly and happy baby for the day. He always makes me happy too.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: October 05, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
Getting to know my neighbours.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »
A picnic on a beautiful day.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »
Poetry. You can read all the wonderful poetry you want totally for free. And this is the golden age of poetry reading, in America, because poetry is so obscure that you can strike up friendships with your favorite poets. Honest, you just find them online and email them to say, "Goddamn this was an excellent poem, I loved this, and these lines have just been ringing in my mind for days!" and they WRITE BACK TO YOU and say thanks, I wasn't sure about this part, did that work? And you say, you bet, but what the hell was that wheelbarrow doing in that other part? And you're off.

This is not the way it works in more popular arts -- you're probably not going to be making friends with your favorite recording artist or film director any time soon -- but it's how it works in poetry.

stashgrower

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: October 07, 2017, 12:11:39 AM »
being outdoors, walking, reading library books

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #286 on: October 07, 2017, 12:53:01 AM »
Poetry. You can read all the wonderful poetry you want totally for free. And this is the golden age of poetry reading, in America, because poetry is so obscure that you can strike up friendships with your favorite poets. Honest, you just find them online and email them to say, "Goddamn this was an excellent poem, I loved this, and these lines have just been ringing in my mind for days!" and they WRITE BACK TO YOU and say thanks, I wasn't sure about this part, did that work? And you say, you bet, but what the hell was that wheelbarrow doing in that other part? And you're off.

This is not the way it works in more popular arts -- you're probably not going to be making friends with your favorite recording artist or film director any time soon -- but it's how it works in poetry.

Wow, that is so true! I never thought about that. I always focus on the fact that I can't own the Mona Lisa but I can own the works of Shakespeare. How is the written word so damn affordable and often free? Amazing. :D

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »
Being out on the trails in the crisp fall air with my trusty canine companion.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
Homemade lattes. (green tea or chai)
Sitting by the river, chatting with a friend.
Walking the dogs.
Fall hikes.

...All of those things at the same time.  Basically heaven.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: October 08, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
In October, in approx 15 degrees C, while there is quite a cold wind, sitting out of the wind in the afternoon sun outside my house. Cleaning the mushrooms I found, while the birds are relaxed doing their thing in the tree beside me.

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #290 on: October 08, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »

I'm going to add heating pads and heated blankets to the mix. When you need 'em, they're AMAZING.

Dual-zoned heated mattress pad! (So good for the marriage.) And the room doesn't need to be kept as warm if I can get into a toasty bed.

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #291 on: October 08, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »

Dual-zoned heated mattress pad! (So good for the marriage.) And the room doesn't need to be kept as warm if I can get into a toasty bed.

I LOVE our dual heated mattress pad! The problem is being so cozy that I don't wanna get out of bed. ;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »

I LOVE our dual heated mattress pad! The problem is being so cozy that I don't wanna get out of bed. ;)

I love it too. I just forgot to put it on last time I changed the sheets. It is now laying in the bedroom to put on at the next occasion which will be soon. We only turn it on 45 minutes before bedtime or so.

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: October 09, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
Babybel cheese -- and squishing the wax cover after I eat one!

Free Spirit

• Stubble
  • Be water, my friend.
« Reply #294 on: October 09, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Babybel cheese -- and squishing the wax cover after I eat one!

That reminds me, I get way too much enjoyment out of bubble wrap.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: November 01, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
Having the house to just myself and DW on a long weekend. Seriously, the older I get, the less I tolerate other people in my space, my wife is the only one who doesn't trigger the nails on chalkboard stress feel.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »
Having the house to just myself and DW on a long weekend. Seriously, the older I get, the less I tolerate other people in my space, my wife is the only one who doesn't trigger the nails on chalkboard stress feel.

I can relate. The next three days I will be home alone and I'm looking foreward to it. Especially because it is just for a couple of days.
Next week my DH will be home alone for three days.

What I have trouble with is spending the whole day with my colleagues. This was the case last week when we had an event in a hotel. I managed to get an hour of private time in my room.
Next week I will see my colleagues three days and having breakfast, lunch and dinner with them. I hope I will be able to find some time for myself in between. Maybe a little walk in the parc before the conference starts.

Small thing that make me happy is to check off a task in my Doit app. Great to get things finished.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »

I can relate. The next three days I will be home alone and I'm looking foreward to it. Especially because it is just for a couple of days.
Next week my DH will be home alone for three days.

What I have trouble with is spending the whole day with my colleagues. This was the case last week when we had an event in a hotel. I managed to get an hour of private time in my room.
Next week I will see my colleagues three days and having breakfast, lunch and dinner with them. I hope I will be able to find some time for myself in between. Maybe a little walk in the parc before the conference starts.

Small thing that make me happy is to check off a task in my Doit app. Great to get things finished.

I eat at my desk well working and then use my lunch break to go for a walk outside to get some alone time at work and help unwind and get exercise. It keeps me sane(r).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »

God yes.

I had about six weekends in a row where we stayed with friends, then had people stay with us, then had several weekends of multiple functions. I was so worn out by the end of it I spent a day inside, blinds shut, watching Netflix. Usually I will potter around, ironing or cooking or working on my laptop, but this was just a pile of cushions and me wrapped in a blanket. It sounds lazy but it was so restorative.

It's something I'm trying to keep in mind, as you say, as I get older. I look at my diary and think, I could catch up with Friend A over lunch then Friend B over dinner, but I know I'm likely to be done with people after lunch, so it's better for everyone if I leave some space in my schedule.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:19 AM »
Today's fun for free is going to a nice place to do birdwatching! It is fall migration still here in FL..
We check on ebird.org and see where the hotspots are in our area. Love that site.