Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 834667 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2750 on: July 01, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »
Homemade soft pretzels. The key is to brush melted butter on it as soon as it comes out of the oven.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2751 on: July 01, 2022, 09:36:39 PM »
Taking my dog for a long walk when it finally cools off in the evening. When I look down and she's trotting along with her big pittie smile and she looks up at me with a face full of love and happiness--right in the feels.

We stop to put items we find in the street in the appropriate receptacle;  cans in recycling bins, soggy newspapers in trash cans, a penny in my pocket :) We even found a nice throwing stick in the gutter to take home. We checked out the little library and made it home before full dark.

Speaking of ice cream, I've been having an Aldi knockoff Klondike bar with my dinner. So nice and cool when it's so hot out.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #2752 on: July 01, 2022, 09:41:45 PM »
Taking my dog for a long walk when it finally cools off in the evening.

Summer evening walks are the best. Especially with fireflies out.

We went out for one a couple days ago and, on our way home, saw a huge tree with fireflies lighting it up with sparkles way up into the darkness.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #2753 on: July 02, 2022, 05:58:36 AM »
Taking my dog for a long walk when it finally cools off in the evening.

Summer evening walks are the best. Especially with fireflies out.

We went out for one a couple days ago and, on our way home, saw a huge tree with fireflies lighting it up with sparkles way up into the darkness.
Firefly gazing is magical.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2754 on: July 05, 2022, 10:38:02 AM »
I agree. We live out in the country so the dog goes tromping around in the yard (field) out front while I sit and watch the fireflies for a while. Also, the airplanes 30K+ feet up while I wonder where they are coming from or going to.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2755 on: July 05, 2022, 12:34:10 PM »
'course, so is beer and ice cream: if you use stout and a really good vanilla it makes a great shake.

Really???

I'd have never considered this combination, but can kinda mentally picture it.

my stomach is bubbling just thinking about it.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2756 on: July 11, 2022, 06:35:42 AM »
Washing windows is a cheap thing that makes me happy, especially when the sun moves far enough north in the summer to shine through some of them, highlighting how dirty they can get.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2757 on: July 15, 2022, 04:12:18 PM »
Received a $60 gift card to one of our favorite restaurants.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2758 on: July 19, 2022, 03:21:26 PM »
Good takeaway coffee drink with a friend while walking her dog through a waterfront park.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2759 on: July 20, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
Got up on the early side and went for a walk with a friend and her dog at 7 am, before it got crazy hot here. We usually go at 11:30, but this was so very much nicer!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2760 on: July 20, 2022, 11:20:30 AM »
Sitting, drinking tea, watching whales

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2761 on: July 20, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
A long phone call with an old friend - left me with a smile on my face. We cheerfully blasted various US/Euro/China politics, the 1%, international banking groups and their shenanigans. Very satisfying!:)
Then I put together my new coffee maker (not so cheap but I paid for it with gift cards I'd earned or received).
Next I made myself an excellent lunch from leftovers. Isn't it wonderful when you can combine a bunch of itty-bitty parts into a tasty treat?
Followed by a great cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie. Two of my favorite things in life:).

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2762 on: July 20, 2022, 05:21:15 PM »
My workout membership.  I started working out with this company for free in 2015 (there were occasionally ads on the videos) and it was something I actually stuck with.  They started a premium membership so they are making a lot of subscription only workouts.  Although I could have stayed with the free version and had plenty of workouts to keep me busy (over 600), I decided I liked some of the premium features and I wanted to support the couple that was making a go of their small business.  So I subscribed about two years ago. 

Over the last year, I've paid less than $0.22 per workout.

Fitnessblender? I adore them. About to renew my yearly Plus subscription because I love the new stuff.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2763 on: July 20, 2022, 05:22:54 PM »
Homemade pita breads. Just 250 grams of flour, some yeast, salt, and oil. Faster to make than a loaf of bread (only needs one rise) and sooo delicious. Makes store-bought pita taste like cardboard.

Josiecat23503

• Bristles
« Reply #2764 on: July 20, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »
Homemade pita breads. Just 250 grams of flour, some yeast, salt, and oil. Faster to make than a loaf of bread (only needs one rise) and sooo delicious. Makes store-bought pita taste like cardboard.
@Dreamer40 , could we get that recipe? Sounds fantastic with homemade hummus!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2765 on: July 20, 2022, 08:05:36 PM »
Reading a good book from the library or a used book sale.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2766 on: July 21, 2022, 04:41:55 PM »

You bet! This is almost identical to the version I have in a book.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pitta_bread_97296/amp

I donít use seeds in mine. The dough rises for about an hour (longer on cold days). And I bake them on parchment-paper-lined trays instead floured-trays. The recipe is easy to double and I bake 2 trays at a time to speed it up.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2767 on: July 23, 2022, 02:27:33 AM »

You bet! This is almost identical to the version I have in a book.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pitta_bread_97296/amp

I donít use seeds in mine. The dough rises for about an hour (longer on cold days). And I bake them on parchment-paper-lined trays instead floured-trays. The recipe is easy to double and I bake 2 trays at a time to speed it up.

I love home made flat breads too.  Ours is for two, to use as a "wrap" around refried roast meat (with loads of garlic), lettuce, cheese, tomato, capsicum and greek yoghurt.

150 grams plain flour
105 grams warm water
8 grams olive oil
5 grams yeast
3 grams salt

Mix it all together, and let it rise in it's bowl until it about doubles.  In summer, about an hour.  In winter, 2 hours.

Then turn it out onto a floured table, cut in half and make 2 balls.  Roll it out into a large flat circle (don't work it too much and use plenty of flour to stop it sticking).  When about 25 cm's diameter, place it onto a very hot flat plat (we use the BBQ) and let heat until bubbles form.  Sometimes I get a full puffed up bread, sometimes just bubbles.  Trun and leave for around a minute.  Pull off the heat and use immediately.

Sometimes I add a bit of paprika.

Josiecat23503

• Bristles
« Reply #2768 on: July 23, 2022, 05:42:56 AM »
@middo, thanks for the additional recipe!  It looks like I need to get a food scale... I'm a typical American who usually uses imperial volume measures, but the more baking I do the more it seems measuring by weight is the way to go!

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #2769 on: July 24, 2022, 05:05:40 AM »
Sitting in the garden on a quiet summer Sunday afternoon, listening to the regular hydroponics water cascade (for salads and veggies). Flowers are abundant, too, so I don't really need vacations ☺

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #2770 on: July 24, 2022, 06:06:34 PM »
DIY to for patio around the house. It's so satisfying to lift and lay bricks, and see the beautiful/functional outcome right in front of you.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2771 on: July 24, 2022, 08:52:16 PM »
@middo, thanks for the additional recipe!  It looks like I need to get a food scale... I'm a typical American who usually uses imperial volume measures, but the more baking I do the more it seems measuring by weight is the way to go!

Besides accuracy, weight is also a lot easier! Put your bowl on the scale and start dumping ingredients in. No need to fuss with cups and spoons (or have a bunch of little things to wash after). Iíve been using the same $10 food scale for years and it works fine. Doesnít need to be fancy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2772 on: July 29, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
Taking care of our things and lengthening their usefulness. Like this so much knowing I don't need to replace something when I can repair or just take care of it in the first place.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #2773 on: July 29, 2022, 03:03:46 PM »
Walking and swimming.  They are the best.  Being in nature/outside.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2774 on: July 30, 2022, 01:46:42 AM »
Homemade sushi. Spent $14 and fed five kids and two adults.

srrb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2775 on: December 03, 2022, 06:36:46 PM »
Random shoot-the-sh*t calls with my grown children.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2776 on: December 03, 2022, 06:58:07 PM »
My Sunday morning ritual of sitting in my living room soaking up the sun through the bay window, with a pot of tea and a logic puzzle. 

LD_TAndK

• Stubble
« Reply #2777 on: December 15, 2022, 08:47:04 AM »
On a cold day, if I've done something outside and wrapped up early enough to have a late morning, screaming hot cup of coffee. I mean like so hot you can hardly take it out of the microwave.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2778 on: December 15, 2022, 02:27:50 PM »
My Sunday morning ritual of sitting in my living room soaking up the sun through the bay window, with a pot of tea and a logic puzzle.

It is not going to be "cheap", but we're talking with an architect about re-jiggering the inside of the house so that we can spend the next few decades doing this (but not in the living room, because that's on the west side of the house -- great for sitting in the afternoon sun, etc. etc.)

Mine is taking advantage of the cold weather to bake cookies and various types of fruitcakes, and then sharing them with friends and neighbors!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2779 on: December 16, 2022, 02:36:24 AM »
Made several gingerbread house kits to give to friends.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2780 on: December 16, 2022, 01:07:45 PM »
Bright sunshine on white snow..everything looks so perfectly gorgeous.

srrb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2781 on: December 21, 2022, 04:45:21 PM »
A big pot of soup/stew on the stove and homemade bread. Watching the winter sunset out of the sunroom. Happy Solstice!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2782 on: December 23, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »
Being warm and inside with no outdoor obligations during this decade's fourth Storm Of The Century.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2783 on: December 24, 2022, 06:26:07 AM »
Being warm and inside with no outdoor obligations during this decade's fourth Storm Of The Century.

Same. I'm isolating before major surgery in a few weeks, so no Christmas obligations for me.  I'm very much enjoying that I don't have anywhere to be and already have weeks worth of food in my house.

DH on the other hand? He went out for a run last night because he does that every time he gets an extreme weather warning on his phone. I think he's in a dick measuring contest with God or something.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2784 on: December 24, 2022, 06:59:41 AM »
My wife has perfected the art of making green chili. She made a batch using the last of the Hatch chili's and it's been heavenly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:18:31 PM by CatamaranSailor »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2785 on: January 08, 2023, 09:29:59 AM »
Stretching (in the morning, in front of the fireplace)

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2786 on: January 08, 2023, 09:43:36 AM »
A really good cup of tea in a quiet house.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2787 on: January 08, 2023, 05:45:33 PM »
Orthopedic supports when you've had orthopedic surgery.

One of my very favourite possessions in the whole wide world right now is a $17 leg lifting strap. I've had it by my side, under a pillow in my hospital bed because I don't want anyone to accidentally move it somewhere.

There are just all these little useful aides that so dramatically increase my quality of life right now.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2788 on: January 08, 2023, 06:18:31 PM »
Fortune cookies. 

There's no logical reason to care what's printed on the little slip of paper, but I still enjoy seeing what they say.  The last one I opened was in English on one side and in French on the other.  The lucky number was only on the English side, so I guess I'm lucky to speack English.  ;~) 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2789 on: January 08, 2023, 08:16:39 PM »
Home baked bread

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2790 on: January 08, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
Fortune cookies. 

There's no logical reason to care what's printed on the little slip of paper, but I still enjoy seeing what they say.  The last one I opened was in English on one side and in French on the other.  The lucky number was only on the English side, so I guess I'm lucky to speack English.  ;~)

Same. Love them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2791 on: January 09, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »
Finding that lost thing. Looked high and low for a tool yesterday. Haven't needed it for several years since before we moved last time.

After checking every possible place, I thought of one more place to look and there it was... Then I remembered my friend putting it there (inside a cabinet) so it wouldn't get lost.

Was prepared to buy it again, won't need to now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2792 on: January 09, 2023, 12:43:41 PM »
After 24 hours of stomach pain and vomiting from a bout of food poisoning, it's feeling really spectacular to just not be in pain and nauseous.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2793 on: January 09, 2023, 02:07:46 PM »
Orthopedic supports when you've had orthopedic surgery.

One of my very favourite possessions in the whole wide world right now is a $17 leg lifting strap. I've had it by my side, under a pillow in my hospital bed because I don't want anyone to accidentally move it somewhere.

There are just all these little useful aides that so dramatically increase my quality of life right now.

My father is waiting for a shoulder surgery and constructed a pulley system in order to gain/increase his range of motion in the injured arm. It's true--amazing what some straps, rope, pulleys can do for quality of life.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2794 on: January 09, 2023, 06:36:08 PM »
Home baked bread

Agree.  Especially when it is a bit warm still.

I made a loaf one time and left it on the kitchen counter to cool before I went to bed.  When I woke up in the morning I went downstairs and there were just crumbs left.  My teenage daughter came home and ate the whole loaf. 

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2795 on: January 09, 2023, 06:58:56 PM »
Modern dentistry. Maybe not so cheap as say watching whales and drinking tea (which sounds wonderful, BTW) but thank God for endodontists and anesthetic. $375.00 (after insurance) and I'm now the proud own of a root canaled tooth and no more pain.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2796 on: January 12, 2023, 11:02:17 AM »
Random, unloved condiments from the food pantry are making me happy today!

People often donate interesting condiments to the food pantry that we can't give away. They usually sit on a shelf for 6+ months and then we cycle them through. Once they go in the trash, I have been known to ask if I can have them.

Now some of my fellow volunteers ask me before throwing them in the trash and I scored three jars of momofuku chili crunch (with an expiration date of december 2023) last weekend!

I ate a delicious bowl of noodles, spiraled butternut squash and cooked spinach with a chilicrunch/soy/honey/chicken broth  for lunch and it made me really happy!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2797 on: January 12, 2023, 11:17:59 AM »

People often donate interesting condiments to the food pantry that we can't give away. They usually sit on a shelf for 6+ months and then we cycle them through. Once they go in the trash, I have been known to ask if I can have them.

Now some of my fellow volunteers ask me before throwing them in the trash and I scored three jars of momofuku chili crunch (with an expiration date of december 2023) last weekend!

I ate a delicious bowl of noodles, spiraled butternut squash and cooked spinach with a chilicrunch/soy/honey/chicken broth  for lunch and it made me really happy!

When you say, "can't give away" is that because customers don't select the condiments or because of some food pantry rule?   

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2798 on: January 12, 2023, 11:33:10 AM »

When you say, "can't give away" is that because customers don't select the condiments or because of some food pantry rule?   

I didn't realize how funny that must sound for a food pantry :) Badly used phrase on my part. The customer's don't choose them.

While the pantry generally has limits on how many of an item each individual can take (2 condiments per visit, etc), with items that sit too long we eventually move them to a shelf that says "help yourself! Take as many as you like!" And them some of the more esoteric items still there until we eventually throw them out.

I've gotten bags of dried figs and prunes, different hot sauces, mustards, ghee, and loose leaf teas from the toss shelf. I like keeping it from going into the landfill.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2799 on: January 12, 2023, 12:30:39 PM »
Turning up the thermostat on our waterheater just a few degrees higher.