Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 185725 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1000 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:21 PM »
People watching!

Watching young people flirt and remembering my youth with a mixture of fondness and horror..:)

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1001 on: August 02, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »
Watching young people flirt and remembering my youth with a mixture of fondness and horror..:)
I'm with you there.  We just got back from a family reunion, and after spending time with the college-aged kids, I am SO glad I don't have to "play the game" any more.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1002 on: August 02, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
And lets hope neither of us ever have to.. I wouldn't have a clue now..:)

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1003 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »
Recently got a bike and have really enjoyed biking to work - I paid $5 for access to the building's bike cage, but I've been using the free rack just outside the cage more often since I can shave a few minutes off of fighting with the lock to the cage, ha ha! But it's nice to have a spot if I arrive too late for the free rack.

What was the biggest hurdle transitioning to biking to work? I've been thinking about for a while now.

Getting over my fear of the cars I shared the road with. We don't have good roads for bicycling here. Seldom a shoulder, never a bike lane, no paths. The ride in to work was a deal killer partly b/c I was out of shape, partly b/c it is so hilly. On the plus side anyone doing that ride would be ready for bike competitions in just a few short months.

I went with an ebike kit and added it to my bike. Big improvement. Now I can maintain 15 mph most of the time and don't feel as vulnerable on the hills where I was walking or making 2mph in granny low gear. Plus I arrive in decent condition to work rather than needing time to recover.

Bonus: talk to other people. Just recently I had a conversation with a neighbor who keeps different hours but works near me. He told me about a whole different route that I knew about but never considered bicycling. Yep, lots better. A couple segments that I expected to be scary (big roads) aren't b/c the traffic is far lower volumes than I expected.

My fitness has improved slowly with the ebike as I have reduced the motor boost and slowly gotten stronger. I haven't lost much weight surprisingly. Show me that my evening meal/snacks are the problem b/c my breakfast and lunches are light.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: August 03, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »
Stateside I live in Northern NY where it snows a lot and temps are not ideal but still worth a shot. Especially during the nice summer months.

I'm up in Western Canada, so we get about 7ish months of cold weather and sometimes snow (I feel like our recent winters have been pendulum-ing between thick fluffy snow Oct-May or a brown Christmas and frigid slush from January to May, the former is my favourite and the latter my bane).

I'm enjoying our super-sunny summertime right now, but come October I expect it to be colder. I do much prefer sweater weather, so the October-November months I think will be fun. I worry a bit about snow, but this winter I chatted with a cashier at my local store who bikes in and she recommended I just let out air in my tires for some extra grip. I'll have to plan for a longer bike commute, but I want to try it out.

I did walk to work in the winter when I first moved to my new place, and it's a nice walk in winter. I find it not too bad, especially since I bought new boots and a coat last winter.

My plan is to bike/walk as much as I can and only take the bus or my car if it's really, really horrible. Considering busing to work is the same cost as parking, it's not much of financial savings over driving.

Add fenders to your bike if you don't have any. Keeps the road grime off of you. Planet Bike makes some universal fit fenders that have served me well.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #1005 on: August 03, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Discovering a cool hidden gem of a park in the middle of a residential area.

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1006 on: August 03, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
Having a refrigerator in your room when you are away on business.

Followed up with finding a reason anyone would pay money for hard boiled peeled eggs vs a box of eggs.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1007 on: August 03, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
A snack of raw almonds, dark chocolate, and a fresh orange.

Antonn Park

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blue Flower Editing
« Reply #1008 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:45 PM »
Walking my dog a few times a day.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #1009 on: August 06, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
Discovering poems on the radio.
Trusting strangers on the internet.
Reading great books from the MMM best book ever thread.
Taking pictures of my cute kid.
The feeling of freshly-brushed hair.
Playing speed scrabble.
Pumpkin pancakes.

Life is good :)

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1010 on: August 06, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
Being caught in a torrential downpour. I didn't have to go anywhere but home, and it felt good after such a hot humid day. Plus, my skinny jeans and canvas shoes were so completely drenched that hilarity ensued.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #1011 on: August 06, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
Making pesto with basil from my garden.

mspym

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
Going for a walk and discovering a whole new library I had no idea existed.

@Exflyboy Gosh yes, I really enjoy watching the Youth of Today smacking into the world- they're great and I am *so pleased* to have moved on from that stage. Bless'em.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1013 on: August 07, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Voting. Today was primary Election Day in my state, and my US House district will finally have representation again (we’ve been unrepresented in DC since December).

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1014 on: August 08, 2018, 12:30:58 AM »
So my toddler and I have a game we started a long time ago where I cover his face and enthusiastically ask “where’s the baby?!?!” followed by removing the cover and saying “there he is!!!”  Later we stopped saying “baby” and started using his name as a way to teach him that, anyway....  now he’s talking, and we still play the game except when he pulls the cover off his head HE says “there he is!!!” and it hits so hard in the heart that I can’t make myself correct him.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1015 on: August 08, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »
So my toddler and I have a game we started a long time ago where I cover his face and enthusiastically ask “where’s the baby?!?!” followed by removing the cover and saying “there he is!!!”  Later we stopped saying “baby” and started using his name as a way to teach him that, anyway....  now he’s talking, and we still play the game except when he pulls the cover off his head HE says “there he is!!!” and it hits so hard in the heart that I can’t make myself correct him.

This is the cutest, and I'm going to be so sad the day our toddler doesn't want to play peekaboo like this anymore <3

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1016 on: August 08, 2018, 07:19:43 AM »

This is the cutest, and I'm going to be so sad the day our toddler doesn't want to play peekaboo like this anymore <3

This made me smile, and remember happy times with our kids when they were younger (they're 12 and 15 now).  When I see pictures of them as toddlers my heart aches.  And yet -- I have to say that I absolutely love each successive stage, and I would not go backward for anything.  Each age really is more wonderful than the last.  Seeing a child bloom all the way from birth to adulthood, with all of life's ups and downs, is the best thing in life.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1017 on: August 08, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
The weather has cooled off after several days of high heat and humidity. It's cool and breezy this morning and one of my neighbors apparently has a wood fire going, so the breeze blowing in my window smells like camping in Northern Michigan (i.e., my happy place).

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #1018 on: August 08, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
Waking up an hour earlier than I have been so far this summer; it gives me more time to get stuff done before the blazing sunshine hits. Which, in turn, makes me feel more successful and productive.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1019 on: August 08, 2018, 03:28:10 PM »

This made me smile, and remember happy times with our kids when they were younger (they're 12 and 15 now).  When I see pictures of them as toddlers my heart aches.  And yet -- I have to say that I absolutely love each successive stage, and I would not go backward for anything.  Each age really is more wonderful than the last.  Seeing a child bloom all the way from birth to adulthood, with all of life's ups and downs, is the best thing in life.

It's pretty amazing.  You have one of those "how can it get better than this?" moments and then you notice your kid trying to sing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' with their tiny voice and toddler enunciation and you're back to "awwwwww!!!"

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1020 on: August 13, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
Last week we were at our cabin. I found lots of mushrooms. Finally, after a long summer of draught. I also did a mushroom trip with a beginner who lives locally and who really appreciated it.

There were lots of Penny Buns (Boletus Edulis and Boletus pinophilus). I didn't have my food dryer there, but I used the oven to dry a lot of them. Maybe I'll sell some as a side-hustle. I have ordered nice plastic bags to sell them in.

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: August 14, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
Walking my dog a few times a day.

Your canine friend would prob say that this is their favorite cheap activity too. ;)

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1022 on: August 14, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »

Hear! Hear! Child rearing is not however a cheap thing... ;)

We're at the stage where the eldest teen is hardly home anymore. On the cusp of moving out.

We'd gladly time travel to get an evening of little kid time again. Nothing permanent b/c we too have enjoyed each stage. Now has been fun too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:51:05 AM by Just Joe »

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: August 19, 2018, 04:01:26 AM »
The view of the lake through the trees from our cottage.

Picking wild raspberries.

Hot running water for a shower (this one made me very happy after spending a week in a rural village in China with no running water)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: August 19, 2018, 04:14:19 AM »
Long trail run yesterday with my kids.

Listening to a screech owl singing in the pre-dawn hours.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 19, 2018, 05:08:34 AM »
Sorting my tools.  Also found a decent toolbox for sale at a heavily discounted price.  :)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1026 on: August 20, 2018, 05:48:20 AM »
Apple cake. I made one from leftover apples in the office. Spent approx. 1,5 $ on the cake.

Sun Hat

• Bristles
« Reply #1027 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »
A fragrant, crispy apple from my little tree. I haven't had such a good apple in ages. The tree only produced 10 or so, but I'll spend the day giving them to friends and family, as they're too good to keep to myself. Well, maybe one more for breakfast...

Goodidea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1028 on: August 22, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
A handwritten note from my wife. Even if it's a few words scribbled on the back of an envelope, it makes me smile.

middo

• Bristles
  • Learning.
« Reply #1029 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:58 PM »
A lunchtime walk, that meant I could meet with my wife who works nearby and chat for a while.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 23, 2018, 01:21:15 AM »
The daily page in the cartoon calendar that we have on the dining table. BIL gave that to my DH as a Christmas present. It has office-jokes.

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #1031 on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:34 AM »
PERFECTLY peeled and hard-cooked eggs from Trader Joe's.

$2.99 for 6.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 24, 2018, 01:46:13 AM »
I'm going to a free festival in the city tomorrow, using DH's train ticket. DH will drive as a passenger in someone else's car. I will meet a friend who lives in the city and who has been trying to meet me.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1033 on: August 24, 2018, 05:31:49 AM »
So I am 100 work days from FIRE now.  I borrowed an idea from forum member Okcisok, and printed off a free coloring page showing a lovely beach scene.  I numbered the sections from 1 to 100, and each day I color in a section.  So much fun.  I'm taking a picture each day too, so at the end we can combine them into a happy little fill-in-the-color video.  :)

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1034 on: August 24, 2018, 06:19:43 AM »
So I am 100 work days from FIRE now.  I borrowed an idea from forum member Okcisok, and printed off a free coloring page showing a lovely beach scene.  I numbered the sections from 1 to 100, and each day I color in a section.  So much fun.  I'm taking a picture each day too, so at the end we can combine them into a happy little fill-in-the-color video.  :)

Congrats. A 100 days, that is just a little over 3 months!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1035 on: August 24, 2018, 07:03:29 AM »
Followed up with finding a reason anyone would pay money for hard boiled peeled eggs vs a box of eggs.
$2.99 for 6.
Hmmm...

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: August 24, 2018, 07:25:32 AM »

Congrats. A 100 days, that is just a little over 3 months!

Thanks Linda!  Well, it's 100 work days . . . so a bit longer.  But yes getting closer!

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #1037 on: August 24, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
$2.99 for 6.
Hmmm...

I was hungry. I didn't have time to cook the eggs myself. They were $2.99 for 6, which, at 2 eggs per meal, equals 50 cents a meal, ALREADY COOKED AND PREPARED.

Those eggs made me really happy.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1038 on: August 24, 2018, 10:36:49 AM »
Rest days
Kitten snores
Baked beans

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: August 24, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »
Sitting in the park on a beautiful summer day.
Listening to the birds. Petting the cat that wandered by.
Nowhere I had to be ... just sitting and relaxing.
Bliss.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1040 on: August 24, 2018, 12:35:16 PM »
Taking a short hike in the forest close to my house. It is extremely dry, but I went to the narrow crevasse that is a bit humid and found a few edible mushrooms that we had for dinner. Also found a new species compared to last weekend.

During dinner we saw an amazing rainbow.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1041 on: August 24, 2018, 10:42:07 PM »
I bought one of those basketball hoop that you usually see in the backyard. The kid (an aspiring NBA player haha) and I been playing one on one  everyday as long as it is not raining outside.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1042 on: August 29, 2018, 06:52:47 AM »
Hummus

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: August 29, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »
Wife's apple pie. Wow she makes the best. I only ask for one maybe twice a year. I married such a smart lady. She's taught me how to cook enough to keep me and kids fed on nights when she is traveling for work. Nobody's died from my cooking yet but I'm more adventurous than the kids' palates still so I can't go wild in the kitchen.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1044 on: August 31, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »
Home-roasted coffee in the afternoon. It might keep me up too late into the evening but DH roasts and brews a mean batch of coffee...

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1045 on: August 31, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »
Re-reading a good book you haven't read in a few years.

zeli2033

• Bristles
« Reply #1046 on: September 01, 2018, 08:05:21 AM »
Re-reading a good book you haven't read in a few years.

+10.

On a related note, now that the weather is slowly indicating a change to fall, I'm looking forward to re-reading all of Harry Potter as another cheap thing that makes me happy. The change in seasons kicks off the desire to re-read something nostalgic while bundled up in my well-loved robe and cozy socks with a warm beverage at my side. *swoon*

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1047 on: September 01, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Local apples with peanut butter.
Thunderstorms.

PiobStache

• Stubble
« Reply #1048 on: September 01, 2018, 03:17:18 PM »
Happy hour deals make me  happy.  $4 top shelf vodka martinis?  I know where I'll be in an hour.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1049 on: September 01, 2018, 05:05:13 PM »
Been wanting to have a rain barrel but too cheap to buy the barrels lol. We happen to stumble a local company who was giving away 50 gallon plastic barrels (used to store some sort of sauce) last week.

I been watching youtube trying to figure out the best (and cheapest) way to divert water from our gutter.