Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938937 times)

wild forest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1200 on: November 09, 2018, 01:53:41 PM »
My car needed an oil change, tire rotation, and an air filter. 

So, I bought a 5 gallon fully synthetic oil from Walmart for $22 dollars, oil filter for $5.50, and $10.50 air filter, with taxes, it came out around $40 dollars.

I went home and did the oil change and replaced the air filter by myself. Took about 30 mins. So then I called Walmart Auto center to see how much they'd charge just to rotate the tires. They said $2.50 per tire, 4 tires would be $10.

So I took over there and they put my car into the system and it's happened that I had my tires replaced at another Walmart which I forgot about it, so they said it FREE!!! I couldn't be happier with all that for around 40 dollars!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1201 on: November 13, 2018, 06:26:06 AM »
Found a free crochet pattern for a cardigan online. Got a bunch of yarn for free from a friend who was moving back to her home country. Now I’m in the process of crocheting myself a cozy cardigan for fall/winter.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1202 on: November 14, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
with my kid - drawing an entire imaginary world, and all the animal characters in it, on a giant roll of paper

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1203 on: November 15, 2018, 02:54:30 AM »
with my kid - drawing an entire imaginary world, and all the animal characters in it, on a giant roll of paper
Several years ago, my brother bought our kids a big roll of paper.  We used it for five years.  Hours and hours and hours and hours of fun for the kids.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1204 on: November 15, 2018, 05:13:59 AM »
Along the same theme as the giant rolls of paper -- giant cardboard boxes are wonderful!

When our kids were little we used to go to the local appliance store for boxes (they gave them away free).  Our kids took those refrigerator and stove boxes and connected them into whole box 'cities' in our basement.  They decorated them and put furniture inside -- a total blast. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1205 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:04 AM »
we had the giant roll of paper, too! I think it lasted for about 11 years of my childhood, and we did everything with it! I have no idea where it came from, but it was the most used form of entertainment when I was a kid

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1206 on: November 15, 2018, 06:49:51 AM »
All this talk about rolls of paper remind me of my grandmother. Her exclusive wrapping paper was a huge roll of meat paper. Every birthday and Christmas gift was wrapped in white freezer paper.

I still think of her every time I prepare meat for the freezer.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1207 on: November 15, 2018, 06:56:05 AM »
Several years ago, my brother bought our kids a big roll of paper.  We used it for five years.  Hours and hours and hours and hours of fun for the kids.

Thank you! You just gave me a Christmas gift idea for my niece and nephew. They loved the box of art supplies I gave them last year but would have a blast tracing each other and drawing play maps on giant paper.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1208 on: November 15, 2018, 07:00:47 AM »
It used to be that you could buy ends of newspaper rolls cheaply right at the source. Alas, our local paper is now regional and not nearby. We had them throughout our childhood and found so many uses for it. Where does one acquire such paper these days? I'm pretty sure my granddaughters going to need some very soon.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1209 on: November 15, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »
I got my giant roll of paper at IKEA for pretty cheap - I think it is an accessory for one of their art easel contraptions. It's not GIANT - more like medium-Giant.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1210 on: November 19, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »
Not really cheap, but so grateful to have a good emergency fund and a fully funded HSA.

This! DH had a root canal last month. Got the bill for $1200 and didn’t stress over it. We’ve got the money in our HSA. Too bad our work moved away from HSA plans. But at least we’ve got some cash stashed for emergency medical stuff.

Then insurance came thru after the bill and we only owe a couple hundred. Wonderful.

canuckiwi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1211 on: November 20, 2018, 11:33:12 AM »
That first smooth, quiet ride after applying desperately needed chain oil to my bicycle.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1212 on: November 20, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »
Our daughter coming home from University for the next 3 months.  :)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1213 on: November 21, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »
Another new recipe to add to my repertoire!  Made chicken tikka masala for the first time last night.  It's been wonderful expanding into Indian cooking, because I had always thought I didn't like Indian food.  Anytime we tried it at a restaurant, it was always too spicy for me and I couldn't taste the flavors over the burning.  Now that I can control the spice level, I find it very tasty, and so far not too hard to make either.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1214 on: November 25, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
Worked on a big, comfy cardigan based on a free crochet pattern I downloaded off the internet. It’s my first big crochet project, and I accidentally chose the wrong yarn — the yarn is much heavier than the one in the pattern. It is a happy accident though, because that extra weight is just so comforting. It’s like wrapping myself up in a cottony soft crocheted weighted blanket. So therapeutic.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1215 on: December 02, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Citrus fruit in December. Yum.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1216 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:04 AM »
My Rumble Roller.......I foam roll and use it to crack my back on a daily basis. Amazing contraption.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1217 on: December 02, 2018, 11:39:07 AM »
Just a long walk. :)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1218 on: December 02, 2018, 03:40:44 PM »
Walking through a park that has art installations in it with my wife and youngest, and discussing the art.  So much pleasure for free.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1219 on: December 02, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »
Dog bed heater. My elderly Dane now grunts contentedly in his sleep instead of whimpering at intervals, making this one of my better $20 expenditures.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1220 on: December 02, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »
A sunny day warm enough to take a walk without a jacket and open the kitchen window for a few hours (the latter also made the cat happy).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1221 on: December 03, 2018, 02:24:01 AM »
Free spicy biscuits at work, because it is December.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1222 on: December 03, 2018, 03:17:06 AM »
Falling a sleep for a nap in my recliner most days after lunch for a half hour or so

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1223 on: December 03, 2018, 04:18:06 AM »
Running water and a toilet that flushes, as well as the ability to take hot showers from the comfort of home. All things that I currently do not have in my home right now because I live in China, and that’s how they roll — randomly turn off your water and NOT turn it back on even though you’ve paid the bills on time — just because they feel like it...or because they do shoddy work and don’t fix their shoddy work in a timely manner

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1224 on: December 04, 2018, 04:57:16 PM »
Cold-smoked salmon from Aldi. Yum.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1225 on: December 05, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »
A dinner of leftover nachos with a side of leftover fried rice

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1226 on: December 05, 2018, 06:53:39 PM »
The local metroparks system.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #1227 on: December 05, 2018, 09:26:18 PM »
Two mornings ago, the waning crescent moon just before sunrise, with earthshine illuminating the rest of the disk and Venus bright in the blue sky.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1228 on: December 06, 2018, 03:13:21 AM »
Two mornings ago, the waning crescent moon just before sunrise, with earthshine illuminating the rest of the disk and Venus bright in the blue sky.

I saw that too,  then I walked to work yesterday. I noticed the earthshine on the moon in particular.

Most of the walking to and from work this time of the year is a bit depressing, because it is so dark. But the night sky can give an interesting view with it's brighter objects.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1229 on: December 06, 2018, 04:21:14 AM »
Eggs. My best frugal food. $.97 for 18 pack at my local grocery store. I have been eating a ton of them for the past few months. They are also a big reason I have dropped a lot of weight and body fat since August.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1230 on: December 06, 2018, 07:06:03 AM »
Over easy are the best, on a slice of toasted bread, with some salt and pepper sprinkled into the yolk. Yum

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1231 on: December 06, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »
I love my egg poached, on multigrain toast with sriracha sauce and parmesan.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1232 on: December 06, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
I prefer an over-medium egg with salt and pepper on a slice of buttered toast.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1233 on: December 06, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
Baby slept in enough that I could have coffee in bed with my husband this morning. A very cheap luxury!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1234 on: December 07, 2018, 04:34:46 AM »
I was working outside my house, cleaning out snow by hand. Then I heard a woodpecker. I always like to hear them minding their own business close to people doing their work. I couldn't locate it though, and I hope it was pecking into a tree and not somewhere into my house. There are lots of trees around my house.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:28:01 AM by Linda_Norway »

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1235 on: December 07, 2018, 05:00:33 AM »
Baby slept in enough that I could have coffee in bed with my husband this morning. A very cheap luxury!

Ahhh, coffee.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1236 on: December 09, 2018, 03:31:23 AM »
Waking up early (not to early)rested. All is quiet, a cup or two of coffee and doing what I am doing now. Reading/on my laptop and enjoying the peace and quiet with the fire on low before the day gets rumbling!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #1237 on: December 09, 2018, 08:19:49 AM »
Making a giant batch of pesto from my basil plants I just harvested. Because it's December, and that's when basil growing season ends in Houston...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1238 on: December 09, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
It was really cold this morning (16ºF/-9ºC), and neither husband nor I had anywhere to go. We slept in and then enjoyed coffee and a hot breakfast in our south-facing kitchen with the winter sun streaming in. I love the angle of the light in December.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1239 on: December 09, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »
Took the dog for a bike ride this evening. Was sprinkling ever so slightly. Just enough to make everything wet. I love to hear the sound of the bike tires on the wet pavement, the dog's toe nails trotting along, the sound of the trees and the wind. She's snoring a little right now, sound to sleep on her dog bed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1240 on: December 10, 2018, 12:11:12 AM »
Yesterday I had my first cross country skiing trip this winter. Very good tracks most of the way. Very few people in the tracks. Nice light in the sky.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1241 on: December 10, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »
Love the color of the sky @Linda_Norway !

I baked gingerbread today, and now the aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla permeates the apartment. DD said it smells like Christmas. Once the icing sets, we are going to have fun decorating the gingerbread house.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1242 on: December 10, 2018, 10:08:15 AM »
Love the look of that, Linda.  No snow that stays here yet.  That's life of Söte Bror.

My happy cheap thing today is soup.  Today with lentils, onion, carrot and selleri.  With a sandwich on the side and glass of milk too.  Not quite ready yet, but I better go check my stove again. 

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1243 on: December 10, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
My happy cheap thing today is soup, too! Ham, veggie and potato, simmered in the crockpot all day...time from entering the door from work and eating was less than 5 min. Perfect after a 10 degree bike ride home!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1244 on: December 11, 2018, 03:38:35 AM »
Yes to soups and stews!   Last night I made a big pot of black-eyed pea stew with bits of ham and sausage.  Served it hot over rice with vinegar sprinkled on top.  Very cheap and yummmm.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1245 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
Have to jump on the soup/stew/crockpot -cooking train! Made a new vegetarian lentil chili this weekend that was absolutely delicious on such a cold day. And have lots of leftovers for this week, yummy :)

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1246 on: December 12, 2018, 07:38:59 AM »
The feeling of the sun on your back on a very cold day.

The look on someone's face when they expect you to have a complaint or problem and you give them a present instead.  I dropped off a small box of cookies for our apartment's leasing office, and for our IT department at work, and the look on their faces was wonderful.  This is my favorite part of the holidays.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1247 on: December 12, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
Pomegranates. They’re $1.19 each at the local Aldi and they’re both delicious and oddly satisfying to pull apart.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1248 on: December 15, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »
The look on someone's face when they expect you to have a complaint or problem and you give them a present instead.  I dropped off a small box of cookies for our apartment's leasing office, and for our IT department at work, and the look on their faces was wonderful.  This is my favorite part of the holidays.

We do a lot of business with the local post office. We always drop-off cookies, snacks, fruits, etc around Christmas in the past several years. They are always slammed around this time of the year. The line snakes all the way into the lobby. We hope our little gift makes their day a bit brighter.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1249 on: December 25, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »
Coffee and fruitcake for breakfast, tamales to follow, and a peaceful Christmas Day with no scheduled plans.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!