Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 533502 times)

okcisok

• Bristles
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2350 on: August 11, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »
Getting groceries at ALDI. In and out in 20 minutes with a cart full of groceries for under $100.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #2351 on: August 11, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
Trashpicking. Scored some gift wrap and a rolling ice chest, both brand new!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2352 on: August 14, 2020, 07:28:38 AM »
I ordered lots of books and had them sent to my local library. It was closed for many weeks during the summer. Now they openend again and gave me notice that my pile of books has arrived. But now I am an vacation. I kindly asked them to keep the books for another week for me and they let me know they would do this.

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2353 on: August 15, 2020, 04:45:48 AM »
I ordered lots of books and had them sent to my local library. It was closed for many weeks during the summer. Now they openend again and gave me notice that my pile of books has arrived. But now I am an vacation. I kindly asked them to keep the books for another week for me and they let me know they would do this.
I feel so RICH when I have a stack of library books to pickup. Libraries are the best!

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2354 on: August 15, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »
Added fresh mint from our balcony garden to a salad. Scored some free stuff at a garage sale.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2355 on: August 15, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »
Harbor Freight Tools.  :)

It's great for when a cheap copy is all you really need. 

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2356 on: August 15, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
My daffodil and bluebell bulbs, which I planted a couple of years ago, have multiplied like crazy and I have divided heaps of them so I have free bulbs to plant in other parts of the garden.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2357 on: August 24, 2020, 05:55:08 PM »
Perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes from a local farm.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #2358 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:53 PM »
Getting a letter in the mail

Getting the recycling out to the curb on time

Fish Sweet

• Bristles
« Reply #2359 on: August 24, 2020, 10:46:10 PM »
Playing Dungeons and Dragons with friends!  Completely free with some internet resources and our imaginations~

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2360 on: August 25, 2020, 01:14:15 AM »
Finishing a good book.

kei te pai

• Bristles
« Reply #2361 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:04 AM »
Elastic! 1/2 price clothing at the local thrift shop, so I bought a few pieces which have now been dissected to supply narrow elastic for face masks, as its sold out everywhere!

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #2362 on: August 25, 2020, 09:22:39 AM »
Elastic! 1/2 price clothing at the local thrift shop, so I bought a few pieces which have now been dissected to supply narrow elastic for face masks, as its sold out everywhere!

So smart!! Keeping items out of the landfill and creative reuse for the win!

Using scrap paper from a work office clean out. I wrote a pantry inventory on a piece with a print date of 5/2009   0.o

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2363 on: August 25, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »

An even easier solution is to slice up old t-shirts to make mask ties! I prefer them to elastics, much more comfortable and secure.

TheFrenchCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2364 on: August 25, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »
Cheap pinot noir and fanfiction.

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2365 on: August 26, 2020, 04:30:41 AM »
A post-prandial walk with my neighbour, marvelling how light it is now getting in the evenings.

BussoV6

• Stubble
« Reply #2366 on: August 26, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »

Tell us more???

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #2367 on: August 26, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
Sadly, a toebean was harmed in yesterday's home nail trimming. I made it all the way to the last nail and cut too short, resulting in blood and an entire day of reproachful looks from her while curled up in a tiny, insulted ball on the couch.
Cheap things that make you unhappy..?

Oh no! I know that heart-achy feeling all too well. It seems that no matter how many times that you try to kiss the injured toebean better, the reproach remains. Since a similar accident in February, my dog turns into a thrashing giant squid whenever I get the clippers or dremel out. I wonder how many games of chase, kisses and butt-scratches it takes to earn forgiveness.

I collected rose petals and made rose water. It smells heavenly but I'm not decided on how to use it. Any suggestions?

Rose water/syrup can be used in a milkshake, with cardamon/nutmeg/cinnamon.

Growing up, had a lot of it. Also, I miss having a Falooda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falooda. Very common in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, parts of India.

TheFrenchCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2368 on: August 26, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »

Tell us more???
Oh nothing special.  I just buy whatever is on sale or bottom shelf.  This bottle was $7.  I just have a super unrefined palate.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #2369 on: August 28, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
Jiffy corn bread mix: $0.55
2/3 can of cream corn: $0.36

The most moist, most delicious, most simple cornbread ever cooked in a cast iron skillet: priceless

Topped with some of my mom's homemade wild blackberry jelly: gastronomic ecstasy

Makes enough cornbread for four meals or snacks. Very little nutritional value but not as bad a comfort food as say, boxed macaroni and cheese. :)

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2370 on: August 28, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
Jiffy corn bread mix: $0.55
2/3 can of cream corn: $0.36

The most moist, most delicious, most simple cornbread ever cooked in a cast iron skillet: priceless

Topped with some of my mom's homemade wild blackberry jelly: gastronomic ecstasy

Makes enough cornbread for four meals or snacks. Very little nutritional value but not as bad a comfort food as say, boxed macaroni and cheese. :)

I am totally going to try this.  Sounds delicious. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2371 on: August 29, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »
I received a new mushroom book in the mail, that I contributed to by finding materials. So the book was for free. Normally I would have bought it.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #2372 on: August 30, 2020, 05:22:09 AM »
i snipped some basil, and made delicious fried rice for dinner with eggs, basil and a bit of soy sauce.

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2373 on: August 30, 2020, 05:43:04 AM »
Divided a huge rhubarb crown and passed bits on to friends. It costs me nothing but makes others happy!

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #2374 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
Did that once upon a time but my method broke. What's your's?

We  use a website called ukproxy.tv   - they do everything for ya! :) It's great

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2375 on: September 08, 2020, 03:15:56 AM »
I am grateful for each day that I can send DD to school because there have been no virus cases in the city.

megaschnauzer

• Bristles
« Reply #2376 on: September 08, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
a good audio book on a long road trip.

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2377 on: September 08, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »
Watching our broody hen out and about with her new chicks.  Watching our young rooster see his first batch of chicks, and make sweet noises to them.  Adorable. 

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2378 on: September 10, 2020, 08:38:14 PM »
Perusing a stack of library books on gardening, and planning a new summer garden space. The planning part is the most fun, before the actual physical effort and spending $ on plants!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2379 on: November 15, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »
- YouTube jazz or chillhop mixes, as background music for work

- Free hand-me-down bags from family. Haven't had to buy my own bags for years now.

- The free coffee at the office

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2380 on: November 15, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »
Throwing some old boxes into the yard and letting the dogs go wild shredding them

goat_music_generator

• Stubble
« Reply #2381 on: November 18, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Walking to the national park that's a mile from my house and going on a hike through crisp autumn air.

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2382 on: November 18, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
I have been admiring/lusting after the massive snake plant  on display at my fishmonger's for years. It is almost bursting out of its planter so I cheekily asked if I could take a cutting to help tidy it up. I am there almost every week and have a good relationship with the women who work there so they were more than happy for me to help myself. And bonus, the piece I took had roots attached so will establish much quicker than a cutting. Got to love a free indoor plant!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:40 AM »
The sun shining today after the wet snow storm at night and in early morning.

mspym

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2384 on: November 19, 2020, 04:47:28 PM »
Jacaranda flowers against a blue sky. They are impossibly purple

Just Joe

• Magnum Stache
  • Here to learn.
« Reply #2385 on: November 21, 2020, 11:58:25 AM »
Did that once upon a time but my method broke. What's your's?

We  use a website called ukproxy.tv   - they do everything for ya! :) It's great

Thank you!

Cheap things that make us happy: up early on Saturday, coffee and a bit of mild TV before our offspring are awake.
DW loves the Great British Baking Show. I'm hooked right now on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=absolutely+history

Watching our kittens wrestle and chase each other all over the house. Double kitten naps are entertaining to watch too.
Oh! I painted the mailbox. Geeez We sound so damn boring! ;)

It is our introverted antidote to a busy, extroverted week!

Time for chores now.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2386 on: November 21, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
Finally tweaking my bike/birding trips so that I have the sun and wind at my back. And some unseasonably warm weather to go with it!

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2387 on: November 21, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »
The smell of apples and cinnamon baking in the oven.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2388 on: November 22, 2020, 05:23:09 AM »

Ooh, I love jacarandas. They don't grow here. I was mesmerized by them when I visited San Diego in late spring.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2389 on: November 22, 2020, 05:25:58 AM »
I'm very happy that the kitten we adopted 4 weeks ago has fit into the household so seamlessly. Our other cat takes his self-appointed role as foster dad very seriously, and our rabbit is only annoyed if the kitten startles her.

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2390 on: November 22, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »

Ooh, I love jacarandas. They don't grow here. I was mesmerized by them when I visited San Diego in late spring.

I really miss jacarandas. So startlingly beautiful that even someone like me, oblivious to almost all plants, flowers, trees, couldn't help but notice them.

And congrats on your animal family. Sounds so sweet!

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #2391 on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »
I have been admiring/lusting after the massive snake plant  on display at my fishmonger's for years. It is almost bursting out of its planter so I cheekily asked if I could take a cutting to help tidy it up. I am there almost every week and have a good relationship with the women who work there so they were more than happy for me to help myself. And bonus, the piece I took had roots attached so will establish much quicker than a cutting. Got to love a free indoor plant!
I wish we lived closer-Id suggest exchanging cuttings.

nobody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2392 on: November 26, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
This morning, I sipped hot coffee, and ate toasted homemade bread, slathered in butter, sprinkled with flaky sea salt.  I was in the moment, and felt content, more than I have been in months.

lazycow

• Stubble
« Reply #2393 on: November 27, 2020, 02:08:17 AM »
I wish we lived closer-Id suggest exchanging cuttings.
Oh that is so sweet! I am constantly offering friends plant cuttings.

Today's happiness experience was going for a beach walk after dinner. It has been a hot day and the sea breeze was delightful.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2394 on: December 02, 2020, 04:53:53 AM »
Today I found out a coworker is being severely abused by their spouse.

Im grateful for a loving spouse and a family ethos where we strive to treat each other with respect and kindness. Cheap and priceless!

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2395 on: December 02, 2020, 07:07:19 AM »
Today I found out a coworker is being severely abused by their spouse.

Im grateful for a loving spouse and a family ethos where we strive to treat each other with respect and kindness. Cheap and priceless!

I'm so sorry about your coworker! Hopefully they'll find the ability to leave soon.

A cheap thing that makes me happy is doing Bhangra dance workouts online. The instructor makes it look effortless, but I get a real kick out of laughing at my inability to coordinate my arms and legs into any semblance of grace, so I think that I end up doing a really fast chicken dance.

E.T.

• Stubble
« Reply #2396 on: December 02, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
I went on a hike and discovered the woods behind our neighborhood have a bunch of Holly trees. I'm going to take a few cuttings and put them in a wreath. I took some small moss samples
too and started some terrariums in old candle containers that I saved over the years. It's a project I've been meaning to do for a while and it feels good to finally have my little window sill moss garden set up.

I also bought myself a dried flower bouquet. I'm usually anti cut flowers but these seem like a really nice alternative that will last months if not years. PM me if you want a link to the flowers I found. They're only $37 for a big bouquet that's very colorful.

I'm feeling a bit of winter blues especially with social distancing so I'm hoping all these plants will add some cheerfulness to my house.

OtherJen

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2397 on: December 03, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »
The angle of the sun this time of year. We have big south-facing windows across the front of our house, so we get lots of bright sunshine on days like today.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2398 on: December 03, 2020, 06:50:59 AM »
I went on a hike and discovered the woods behind our neighborhood have a bunch of Holly trees. I'm going to take a few cuttings and put them in a wreath. I took some small moss samples
too and started some terrariums in old candle containers that I saved over the years. It's a project I've been meaning to do for a while and it feels good to finally have my little window sill moss garden set up.

I also bought myself a dried flower bouquet. I'm usually anti cut flowers but these seem like a really nice alternative that will last months if not years. PM me if you want a link to the flowers I found. They're only $37 for a big bouquet that's very colorful.

I'm feeling a bit of winter blues especially with social distancing so I'm hoping all these plants will add some cheerfulness to my house.

Also take a look at fake flowers. They are looking better nowadays than they used to look like in the past. We have some nice ones from Ikea. Dried flowers can maybe last for a very long time as well.

E.T.

• Stubble
« Reply #2399 on: December 03, 2020, 12:14:01 PM »
Also take a look at fake flowers. They are looking better nowadays than they used to look like in the past. We have some nice ones from Ikea. Dried flowers can maybe last for a very long time as well.

Thanks, I think fake flowers are a great idea for the kitchen since it's sunnier and more humid. I hadn't really considered that before. I haven't received the dried flowers yet but according to the reviews they still smell nice even though they're dried. I'm thinking I'll add a few lavender sprigs if they start to lose their fresh scent. I also like the idea of being able to just compost it if I change my mind and don't want the bouquet anymore.

Edited to add: The flowers arrived! They are lovely and smell like cinnamon. Definitely a cheap thing that makes me happy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:10:50 PM by E.T. »