Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 834666 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2600 on: August 19, 2021, 10:51:31 PM »
Used up two ripe bananas and made banana bread today. Very yummy!

Canuck042

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2601 on: October 21, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »
You know how many of us just buy a 6-pack of tube socks when they need some new ones? Well, when you get home, don't put them all into your sock drawer and start using them. Leave a couple pairs in their plastic bag, unused.

Then, on a day that you're a bit down, or just aren't feeling life, and will just sit around home all day: crack out one of those fresh pairs. Even cheap socks have that extra mm of cushion when they're new and feel pretty premium. You'll notice on every trip from the couch to the fridge all day! :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2602 on: October 22, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »
My frugal kid and biking places makes me happy.

DD has a play date today. We were talking about ways to get to her friendís house. Itís a 10 minute taxi  ride ($4), 20 minute bike ride ($0), or 30 minute bus ride ($0.40). DD asked to bike there because itís faster and saves money. All of this makes me happy ó her play date, her frugal 7 year old mind, being able to get some exercise, and being able to use my bike to run errands while she is playing with her friend.

Extramedium

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2603 on: October 25, 2021, 01:02:46 PM »
Hiking and biking in the north woods in October.  I'll admit biking has a little entry cost, but nearly free after that.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2604 on: October 25, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
An empty laundry hamper.

GreenEggs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2605 on: October 25, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
You know how many of us just buy a 6-pack of tube socks when they need some new ones? Well, when you get home, don't put them all into your sock drawer and start using them. Leave a couple pairs in their plastic bag, unused.

Then, on a day that you're a bit down, or just aren't feeling life, and will just sit around home all day: crack out one of those fresh pairs. Even cheap socks have that extra mm of cushion when they're new and feel pretty premium. You'll notice on every trip from the couch to the fridge all day! :)

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm running low on socks.  ;)

PhilB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2606 on: October 25, 2021, 02:20:38 PM »
Walking through the woods with my wife with both of us singing "The Teddy Bears' Picnic"

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #2607 on: October 25, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
Writing and recording a song, like this one...
https://youtu.be/XZExHXgJju4

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #2608 on: October 26, 2021, 08:18:13 AM »
I have a late work call today, and my neighbor had an early one. So I'm dropping off their puppy with my dog at day care in a little while.

My happy thing: watching the two puppies roll around mouthing at each other on the bed as I drink my coffee. They're just happy as clams and all is well with their world.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2609 on: October 27, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
Put a bag of frozen Atlantic salmon pieces into my cart, then saw fresh Atlantic salmon on sale at same price ($5 a pound, which is cheap) so put the frozen salmon back. Went home, cooked up half the fresh salmon (baked it, pretty good) then froze the other half for later. 

Extramedium

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2610 on: October 28, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »
Baking.

Morning gratitude list.

Watching The Simpsons with DD (age 14) near the fireplace.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2611 on: November 02, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »

I do this with underwear as well. Excellent tip. That new feeling... (wagging imaginary primate tail)

LetsRetireYoung

• Stubble
  • Earn more. Spend less. Invest the rest. ;)
    • my Let's Retire Young blog
« Reply #2612 on: November 03, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »
Watching my sourdough starter grow after I feed it twice a day. (I'll start cooking with it sometime this week!)

Admiring my air plants - one hangs in the kitchen, the other one hangs in the shower and is a lot bigger thanks to all that warm water haha

Spying on my 3 little guppies (Fishmael, Fichonne, and Fishabella) as they swim around and socialize in their luxurious 20-gallon aquarium.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2613 on: November 03, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
Working local elections. It's fun and interesting, contributes to our democracy, doesn't cost me anything except a few hours of sleep, and I will receive a check from the city to fuel some holiday season charitable donations.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2614 on: November 03, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »
Advocating for more housing and bike infrastructure and less oil drilling in my community

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2615 on: November 04, 2021, 06:06:34 AM »
A new screen protector for my phone to replace my old cracked and chipped one.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2616 on: November 04, 2021, 06:20:49 AM »
Listening to good discussions by experts who bring out the best in each other.  This time it's a Youtube discussion about about microphones by a couple of sound engineers.  :)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2617 on: November 04, 2021, 08:09:13 AM »
An empty laundry hamper.

ooohh yeahhhh, I'll take that and raise you an empty kitchen sink.

Also a freshly cleaned bathtub when I want to bathe instead of shower.

Peony2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2618 on: November 07, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
Spent yesterday completing a 1,000 jig saw puzzle with family members.  Good conversation and company.  I love fall and winter for the opportunity it provides for cozy pleasures such as puzzling, reading etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:39:29 PM by Peony2019 »

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #2619 on: November 07, 2021, 03:33:23 PM »
my weekly bowl of popcorn that DH makes me before movie afternoon...that I promptly ignore as I am not a movie fan...and put on my noise canceling headphones and zone out while Sunday dinner is in the oven....best part of the cold wet months. 

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #2620 on: November 07, 2021, 03:39:39 PM »
Hot cup of water with lemon in the fall/winter

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2621 on: November 07, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
Fresh baked bread

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2622 on: November 09, 2021, 05:40:31 AM »
Traveling space and time through books from the comfort of my sofa, armed only with a sleeping dog and a cup of tea.

Extramedium

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2623 on: November 09, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »
The satisfaction of dropping off big bags of fallen leaves at our local municipal composting center.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2624 on: November 10, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
My new toilet seat. The old one had cracked and been repaired a couple of times, and I finally replaced it with one on which I splurged the extra $5 for a "soft-close" feature. Every time one of the potty-training grandkids is thwarted in the attempt to bang the lid down, I am happy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2625 on: November 12, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »
Taking care of our tools - some old, some older, few expensive, many used when they came to us.

Can be the tools in the kitchen or the tools in the garage.

Chores must be done, that's life. Chores done with good tools can be satisfying. A sharp edge on our 50 year old electric tractor's mower blades (possibly 50 year old blades!) A sharp edge on my pocket knife. A paint brush with miles on it but with many more miles left in it. A screw driver that fits the screw slot just right.

A job well done. A rest and a beverage cold or hot depending on the season. Sitting on the porch listening to life around me.

Sat on the porch last night at 2:30AM listening to the breeze and the trees. The world at sleep. My insomniac dog marching around the field with her nose in the cold grass and leaves.

Extramedium

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2626 on: November 14, 2021, 10:25:34 AM »
Not sure if it's cheap enough for the Mustache crowd, but just got my first tattoo (age 51) for $140, including tip.  I've been thinking of getting one since about age 21, when the cost would have broken me for a pay period or two.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2627 on: November 14, 2021, 11:51:43 AM »
A walk around my neighborhood to look for any interesting changes, and a possible socializing opportunity or two.   

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2628 on: November 15, 2021, 06:34:39 PM »
My sweetie and I are continuing our plan to visit every library in our town's system (and explore the surrounding neighbourhoods a little while we're there). We added two more today, got some good books, and hit up a nearby Asian superstore for some great cheap meat and interesting produce.

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2629 on: November 15, 2021, 08:16:42 PM »

I use a binder clip as a cheap money clip for cash and cards. I have "retired" my wallet.

srrb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2630 on: November 15, 2021, 11:24:03 PM »
Walks with friends, making bread, watching my son's ship come into the harbour, the cup of coffee DH brings me in bed every morning, cat on my lap, reading the threads here ... so many things!

Extramedium

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2631 on: November 20, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »
Fire in the fireplace, reading, helping DD with math homework.  Mahler Symphony No. 5 in C Sharp Minor.

House clean (confession, living room clean).

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2632 on: November 20, 2021, 04:32:29 PM »
Looking out our sunroom window in the morning, cat on my lap and coffee in my hand, as the sun rises.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2633 on: November 20, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
Watching college football on my antenna TV.

srrb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2634 on: November 20, 2021, 05:16:06 PM »
I'll add a crisp fall day getting firewood. The hardwork is enjoyable and good for keeping this middle-aged body in decent shape, the wood heat in the winter is so comfortable, and it seems like a bonus that I save $$.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2635 on: November 21, 2021, 01:13:33 AM »
Changing to a new watch strap on my wrist watch. Or a "new for the season" at least - I have a few.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2636 on: December 01, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »
I may have mentioned this before, but I derive a strange joyful satisfaction from using something up completely or wearing something out until it fails, and also seeing how far I can stretch something out.  I am nearing the end of my current tube of toothpaste and I am already anticipating the last squeeze I can possibly get out of it.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2637 on: December 02, 2021, 04:09:00 AM »
Putting up our Christmas tree with homemade ornaments, homemade hot chocolate, listening to Christmas music while DD prances around the living room pretending to be a dancer.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2638 on: December 02, 2021, 06:42:27 AM »
spraying a little catnip on a piece of cardboard and watching my middle-aged cats behave like their kitten selves. Better than tv.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2639 on: December 02, 2021, 07:14:41 AM »
I may have mentioned this before, but I derive a strange joyful satisfaction from using something up completely or wearing something out until it fails, and also seeing how far I can stretch something out.  I am nearing the end of my current tube of toothpaste and I am already anticipating the last squeeze I can possibly get out of it.
You squeeze it and then cut it open, riiight?

RetiredAt63

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2640 on: December 02, 2021, 10:23:53 AM »

Don't know about FIRE Artist, but when I have squeezed out all the toothpaste there is no point cutting it open.  ;-)

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2641 on: December 02, 2021, 02:52:06 PM »
I get a couple more toothbrushings out of the tube after squeezing it (using toothbrush to flatten) and then cutting it open. There's a lot of toothpaste left in there!

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #2642 on: December 02, 2021, 04:02:12 PM »
Watching the progress of my garden since I planted it last spring. The initial planting wasn't as cheap as I planned but all the enjoyment since then has been free. I take pictures each week so I can eventually make a little video of a few years of growth. It's a nice long form creative outlet.

stoaX

• Pencil Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #2643 on: December 02, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »
I get a couple more toothbrushings out of the tube after squeezing it (using toothbrush to flatten) and then cutting it open. There's a lot of toothpaste left in there!

I do the same thing.  It probably makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, but it is gratifying! 

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2644 on: December 02, 2021, 07:30:57 PM »

I donít need to, I can typically get several more brushing out of the tube after I have flattened the body of the tube by working my way around the collar (I use an electric toothbrush so use only a pea size per brushing, it takes me a looong time to empty a tube of toothpaste).  Then, once that method yields no fruit, for the final brushing, I press as hard as I can on the center of the neck, and actually dig the toothpaste out of the end with my toothbrush.

For my art paint tubes, which are still made out of aluminum, I have a tube crimper and I basically use the same method, but get the super gratifying satisfaction of periodically crimping the tube from the bottom and squeezing all the remaining paint up to the top of the tube. For expensive pigments I will cut the tube open, just in case there are some dregs left, but usually there is not much left at all, it typically isnít worth if for oil paints, but watercolours can be enough to use for a painting.   

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2645 on: December 03, 2021, 01:22:30 AM »
Fishing. $20 Kids uglystik rod, $20 Daiwa reel, $3 lure. Hundreds of hours of fun outdoors, food for the table, and a few laughs as serious fisherman with their $$$$ setups watch in awe.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2646 on: December 03, 2021, 07:42:38 AM »
Those crimpers exits for toothpaste

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2647 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:53 AM »
Those crimpers exits for toothpaste
A while back, I got a screaming deal on fancy imported tomato paste in metal tubes. I've been using the toothpaste crimper on them, but what a pain in the ass! I'll never buy those again. Good thing the lesson was learned with something that cost $1.00. Alas, I bought 12 of them. Nine down, three to go...

FIREin2018

• Stubble
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
« Reply #2648 on: December 05, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
Post covid vaccine, I've been traveling alot.
One unexpected thing that i noticeably enjoyed was rain shower heads.

Something like this ($10):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313043542822

But i wanted a square one so ordered one from Lowes ($15).
(Still waiting...)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:07:06 PM by FIREin2018 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2649 on: December 05, 2021, 02:54:45 PM »
Post covid, I've been traveling alot.
What is this "post covid" thing you speak of?